March 28, 2024, 01:48:33 PM

Author Topic: Dissecting Individual Technique and Tactics: A Discussion  (Read 3763 times)

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Dissecting Individual Technique and Tactics: A Discussion
« on: February 02, 2017, 01:36:45 PM »
What is technique?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 10:34:25 AM by FF »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Individual Technique and Tactics: Soccer Coaches Dissection
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 01:39:18 PM »
What is technique?

Trapping a football, dribbling, possession, being able to pass, cross, first touch etc etc

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 01:45:17 PM »
You say they can't fix technique when they are already at senior level, but all european pro players work on technique everyday. Maybe if a player is so far behind on something then it may be impossible to catch up, but you see even seasoned pros make incremental improvements. Just look at somebody at the highest level -  Messi - his free kick-taking ability and overall shooting technique have improved tremendously.

The thing i find we struggle with that the national coach can't improve is fitness.

The vast majority of our players are sadly so far behind.

By the time a player gets to a senior national team, some things should be a given:

The player has a solid understanding of his playing position, organizational play, playing without the ball, running into space etc

On top of that, the player needs to have discipline, motivation, proper dietary habits, gets enough rest when not training etc

Our senior national team coaches often have to coach these things with the majority of local players....individually...and most times...they have less than a week to prepare the team for match competition

Scouting all over the world has gotten to the point where scouts everywhere know pretty much every player on the planet....no matter where they come from.

As a result, the players who have ability that they think can be refined and developed to the point where they can a) make $ off of these players, and b) help their team win are identified from small.

It therefore provides some insight into where T&T lies in the talent pool when Levi Garcia is the only young player currently in a major european league.

Further insight can be derived from the fact that the majority of T&T exports (footballing wise) end up in Leagues in footballing hotbeds of Vietnam, Thailand, India, etc

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2017, 02:29:40 PM »
You say they can't fix technique when they are already at senior level, but all european pro players work on technique everyday. Maybe if a player is so far behind on something then it may be impossible to catch up, but you see even seasoned pros make incremental improvements. Just look at somebody at the highest level -  Messi - his free kick-taking ability and overall shooting technique have improved tremendously.

The thing i find we struggle with that the national coach can't improve is fitness.

The thing about Messi and those guys is that they are CONSTANTLY working on improving themselves and their technique, not JUST when they come to National team training before a match. Also these guys are typically working on more advanced techniques not improving basics. Case in point I remember an article where a coach at ManU (think it was Queiroz) was talking about a drill he developed for Ronaldo where he would receive a pass with his back to goal and he then had to name a spot (e.g. top right, bottom left, centre high) and without looking turn and shoot for that spot.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2017, 03:03:28 PM »

Look the main part right there. So explain now how we national team coach fixing that.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2017, 04:58:09 PM »
What is technique?

Trapping a football, dribbling, possession, being able to pass, cross, first touch etc etc
Nope

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »
 ???

No? MEP. What is technique? I hope you coming with a modifier

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2017, 05:16:59 PM »
Technique is the execution of a decision.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2017, 07:52:52 PM »
Well alright that is correct.

But what is the execution now? Now this is generalization because of course the execution would depend on the specific situation and decision.
But what when you get down to brass tacks is the execution?

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2017, 03:31:10 AM »
We often get the mechanics of the situation mixed up and call it technique but within every action lies a tactical consideration.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2017, 07:15:19 AM »
The mechanics IS technique.

The ability to apply technique to solve a situation is SKILL.

But now we just splitting hairs. I follow you and im sure you follow me.  :beermug:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2017, 08:11:01 AM »

But now we just splitting hairs. I follow you and im sure you follow me.  :beermug:

Doh stop. It's actually PhD material.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
oops, Prof mentioned phd, and my mind went here again

http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=3

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2017, 10:47:02 AM »

Technique is the applied action of Mechnanics
You can have great Mechanics, but that does not translate to great technique
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
All dis setta long talk just tuh say we eh able and have ah long way tuh go?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2017, 12:37:42 PM »

;D ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2017, 12:40:43 PM »
Haha close and lock the thread.

Tallman win  ;D

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2017, 12:50:47 PM »
:D  doing/workin on problems from the wrong chapter and in the wrong post, unless TTFA give Terry a developmental post or a person who can determine what program is required for young TT footballers, but selection to the National team is made by the coach and suppose to be the best yuh have, ready or not is moot

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2017, 03:11:40 PM »
oh lawd Tallman...dry so???lol

FF:
isn't that a decision????

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »
MEP. We go have to make a next thread before tallman get vex  ;D

But imo a player could make the right decision but is unable to apply the technique in the situation.
That then is a technical breakdown. Tactically they may have been right.

So isolated they could perform the technique well but lack the skill to apply the technique in a tactical situation or under pressure.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2017, 05:05:16 PM »
jes gimme a stool to stan on so ah could res a calpet on Tallman if he close down dis thread..

we should start another thread though...

FF
we reading the same book different pages.....We have to change our way of thinking especially in terms of player development.

So let's look at it from this perspective both of us playing on the same team but every time I pass to you you make a nice trap but turn into pressure. What is happening there?

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 10:27:55 AM »
jes gimme a stool to stan on so ah could res a calpet on Tallman if he close down dis thread..

we should start another thread though...

FF
we reading the same book different pages.....We have to change our way of thinking especially in terms of player development.

So let's look at it from this perspective both of us playing on the same team but every time I pass to you you make a nice trap but turn into pressure. What is happening there?

You say nice trap, but I say flawed technique as it seems that I am not checking my shoulder for pressure before receiving the ball.

That is the way I have evolved to understand it. That the act of checking surroundings is an essential part of the technique and mechanics of receiving.

Now your scenario is interesting because I can see that the direction of my turn is DECIDED by my vision.

So for you it would be check surroundings make decision and apply technique. So execute the decision aka technique

But for me the problem is "I am receiving the ball with pressure" how do we solve in the quickest amount of time. The decision is to apply learned technique to redirect the ball into space and keep possession. If I can do that successfully in a game like situation it is now skill.

Six of one, half dozen of the other ... Asylumseeker go love this shit

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Dissecting Individual Technique and Tactics: A Discussion
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »

Not fully true...

Because if we are to follow that logic, then someone who has a great first touch or traps the ball well and gets jam right after, you deem that bad technique? his technique was good but it must be broken into parts, awareness and that specific situation...

Say for example he's given a bad pass but does well to trap but it's still a bad pass at the end of the day that puts him in a tight situation with little maneuvering capability... you can't say he has bad technique because he executed on trapping the ball..

It's like hart saying Jj needs to learn to play without the ball, would you classify that as technique or getting better awareness and improving his football iq?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2017, 04:11:35 PM »

Not fully true...

Because if we are to follow that logic, then someone who has a great first touch or traps the ball well and gets jam right after, you deem that bad technique? his technique was good but it must be broken into parts, awareness and that specific situation...

Say for example he's given a bad pass but does well to trap but it's still a bad pass at the end of the day that puts him in a tight situation with little maneuvering capability... you can't say he has bad technique because he executed on trapping the ball..

It's like hart saying Jj needs to learn to play without the ball, would you classify that as technique or getting better awareness and improving his football iq?

Poorly executed passes are par for the course. They are a reality of football, although less frequently seen at the highest levels of the game. As such, playing out of difficulty is a standard expectation of the game. Indeed, it's a separator. If you had to choose between two candidates for the same playing position, who would you choose? The one who is very technical but can't play himself out of difficulty or the less technical of the two who consistently proves himself adept at resolving those situations (i.e. maintaining possession)?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2017, 04:13:14 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2017, 06:19:55 PM »
a BRAIN also needed
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2017, 10:35:51 PM »

Not fully true...

Poorly executed passes are par for the course. They are a reality of football, although less frequently seen at the highest levels of the game. As such, playing out of difficulty is a standard expectation of the game. Indeed, it's a separator. If you had to choose between two candidates for the same playing position, who would you choose? The one who is very technical but can't play himself out of difficulty or the less technical of the two who consistently proves himself adept at resolving those situations (i.e. maintaining possession)?

I agree, at higher levels the mistakes are decreased and skill and technique are also higher...

But wouldn't hypothetically speaking the very technical player be able to maintain possssion better, over the less technical? Now, it may be the case that the less technical, handles pressure better and performs better under pressure or maybe as you said is a better problem solver... so my next logical question would be, why is the player with greater technical skills not able to maneuver through this?

Does he need a sports psychologist, or mental tests to improve his problem solving skills, or drills and training to get him accustomed to those situations.

I think I would be willing to take the player who is better technically and work with him to improve his play in this area, that way I have a higher skilled player that may improve his game but this is also hypothetical and a risk.. maybe my gamble won't pay off and maybe it should have been the other player but I think I would take that risk...

It also depends on the situation, do we need immediate impact or can we develop?

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2017, 10:21:13 PM »
Define able? ;D

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2017, 11:09:20 PM »
A team lacking in technical abilities can make up for this deficiency thru hard work, fitness, athletic abilities and an Intelligent Coach who understands how to capitalize on the opponent's weaknesss.

As long as the Coach understands what it takes to beat his opponent and he understands his own team very well I don't see how he can lose.

You can have a team of players with the best technique ...if the Coach doesn't know his team as well as the opponent ..and if the players are not 100% committed ..it wouldn't matter.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 09:51:00 PM »

good luck measuring that. if yuh can't measure, yuh can't improve.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 02:32:55 AM »
Morace: Women players passing technique poor

Published:
Thursday, February 9, 2017

T&T Women’s football team head coach Carolina Morace chats with TTFA president David John-Williams during here first training session at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, last week. Photo by:TONY HOWELL
WALTER ALIBEY

Women footballers in T&T have been using the wrong technique, new national women’s coach and head of the Women’s Development Programme Carolina Morace has said, following her first week of training at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Balmain, Couva yesterday.

It was one of few observations made by the Italian coach who has been recruited by the T&T Football Association (TTFA) to help develop local women’s football and take the country’s senior and under-20 teams to the World Cup.

Morace pointed out that players’ passes were inaccurate because of the techniques being used were not the right one. “The technique that they use is just random. The players passes were not accurate and the technique they use was not the right technique. Sometimes it’s just a suggestion, a little suggestion, that goes a long way.”

Assistant coach Nicola Williams called on players to work on their technical abilities, saying how the players pass and receive the ball are areas that they will have to develop. “Their natural ability in the match, the dribbling and fake is already good, but we have a journey to go on”, she explained.

Because of this Morace and her team intend to work hard with local coaches to show them the right techniques in passing and receiving the ball, and how to impart it to young players. She describe it as a critical part of their programme. Morace who is head of the programme is being assisted by Williams who is also coach of the country’s under-20 team, while another Italian Manuela Tesse is coach of the under-17 team and Betty Bavagnoli will also provide assistance to Morace at the senior team level.

They are expected to be joined by a number of local coaches soon. It is understood this is being organised by the T&TFA which is being led by David John Williams, the man behind the overall development of women’s football in T&T.

Only recently John-Williams announced that his association will look at offering women footballers and coaches contracts.

Morace, who coached the Canadian women’s team to the Concacaf championship in 2010, said another observation she made was that the local players were not fit. “What we can say is that the players are not fit. They need something. If you want to show your ability you have to be fit.”

As Morace continues her search for the country’s best players, she will continue with an open-door policy in which any and all players desirous of representing the country, will have the opportunity to try out. However she noted her policy is not a guarantee that anyone will make it on the national team, saying to make it on the team you have to have something more than a normal player.

According to Morace “It is about sacrifice and understanding what we want. I think there are many potential players here. We have to keep the potentials and improve the potentials. We have to be able to transform the potentials.”

​http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/2017-02-08/morace-women-players-passing-technique-poor

1]; } ?>