Sports > What about Track & Field

Jereem “The Dream” Richards Thread

(1/17) > >>

Flex:
Richards breaks Boldon's record
By Kwame Laurence (Express).

Jereem Richards established a new Trinidad and Tobago record at the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division 1 Indoor Track and Field Championships, in Texas, USA, late yesterday. The University of Alabama student blazed the track in 20.31 seconds to erase Ato Boldon's 20-year-old indoor men's 200 metres standard from the books.

The superb run from Richards earned him top spot in section two and silver overall. American Christian Coleman produced a 20.11 scorcher in section one to grab gold for University of Tennessee. Coleman also won the 60m title, getting to the line in 6.45.

Boldon had established the old T&T record of 20.35 seconds back in 1997. Richards' 20.31 run moved him past Boldon into the number two spot on the all-time Central American and Caribbean (CAC) list, behind CAC record-holder Obadele Thompson (20.26) of Barbados. Richards is now joint-12th on the all-time global list with American Coby Miller. Coleman jumps to third, behind world record holder Frankie Fredericks (19.92) of Namibia and American Wallace Spearmon (20.10).

In Friday's qualifying round, Richards topped heat two in 20.50 seconds.

T&T/Alabama athlete Ruebin Walters clocked 7.77 seconds to secure fifth spot in the men's 60m hurdles final. American Grant Holloway, a student at University of Florida, captured the title with a 7.58 run.

Walters had clocked 7.73 to finish fourth in the first of two qualifying heats, on Friday, progressing to the final as a “fastest loser”.

In the men's distance medley relay, T&T's Asa Guevara ran the second leg for 11th-placed University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP). Guevara split 48.05 seconds for the 400-metre run, while UTEP completed the 1200mx400mx800mx1600m race in nine minutes, 56.03 seconds.

University of Mississippi clocked 9:31.32 for the win, forcing Virginia Tech (9:33.35) and Georgetown (9:33.42) to settle for second and third, respectively.

Richards was expected to be back on the track after press time, last night, representing Alabama in the men's 4x400m relay. Another T&T/Alabama athlete, Domonique Williams was listed for action in the women's 4x400m.

At the NCAA Division 2 Indoor Championships, in Alabama, Adams State University sprinter Micah Ballantyne finished seventh in heat two and 13th overall in 6.84 seconds. The top eight advanced to the final.

Socapro:
Jereem Richards wins 2017 NCAA Championship 200M Final Section 2
https://www.youtube.com/v/FKJZxsQOrrk

And here is another video of the race (ESPN coverage): http://www.milesplit.com/videos/191307

Men 200m Dash

Finals: Heat #1      
Place   Overall   Name   Year   Team   Time   Score
1   1   Coleman, Christian   JR-3   Tennessee   20.11   10
2   4   Mitchell-Blake, Nethaneel   SR-4   LSU   20.63   5
3   5   Willis, Maxwell   FR-1   Baylor   20.69   4
4   6   Washington, Josh   SR-4   Arkansas   20.73   3
   Finals: Heat #2       
1   2   Richards, Jereem   JR-3   Alabama   20.31   8
2   3   Thymes, Just'N   SR-4   USC   20.36   6
3   7   Cotton, Kenzo   JR-3   Arkansas   20.75   2
4   8   Titi, Ncincilili   JR-3   South Carolina   21.03   1
   Preliminaries: Heat #1       
1   3   Coleman, Christian   JR-3   Tennessee   20.51   
2   10   Trimble, Jamiel   JR-3   Air Force   20.84   
3   12   Moffett, Malik   JR-3   Penn State   20.85   
4   15   Belcher, Christopher   SR-4   N. Carolina A&T   21.02   
   Preliminaries: Heat #2       
1   2   Richards, Jereem   JR-3   Alabama   20.50   
2   7   Washington, Josh   SR-4   Arkansas   20.81   
3   8   Willis, Maxwell   FR-1   Baylor   20.83   
4   14   Williams, Cameron   SR-4   Boston U.   20.98   
   Preliminaries: Heat #3       
1   4   Mitchell-Blake, Nethaneel   SR-4   LSU   20.55   
2   6   Titi, Ncincilili   JR-3   South Carolina   20.79   
3   11   Hudson, Andrew   SO-2   Texas Tech   20.84   
4   13   Smith, Teray   SR-4   Auburn   20.91   
   Preliminaries: Heat #4       
1   1   Thymes, Just'N   SR-4   USC   20.49   
2   5   Cotton, Kenzo   JR-3   Arkansas   20.65   
3   9   Chambers, Marcus   SR-4   Oregon   20.83   
4   16   Marshall, Deshawn   SR-4   Ohio State   21.27   

http://www.milesplit.com/meets/257341/results/500659/raw#.WMpb6tKLRkh

jusbless:
Anybody realised that most of the 200m races was won by the athlete in lane 3. Is lane 3 the best lane to run in for indoors

Aviator:
Lanes 5 and 6 are the best, especially on a banked track. The curve is gentler and you essentially start the race on a downhill angle from those lanes. In this case I just think it was a matter of the best runners being seeded in Lane 3.

Sando prince:
Alabama Track & Field Q&A: Jereem Richards

Full Q&A interview here http://teamtto.org/index.php/sports/athletics/6616-alabama-track-field-q-a-jereem-richards

--- Quote ---When did you realize that you could compete at the collegiate level, and come to the United States for college?

JR: Trinidad & Tobago is really small and at a young age I made a lot of the senior teams instead of running on the junior teams so I was exposed to a lot of senior running and training. I was recruited by some Division I schools but I needed to go the junior college route first because I was missing some classes. What made me really think about going to a D1 college was that I could get an education in the United States and I could run against some of the best athletes in the world, because the college system is where everyone begins.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version