March 29, 2024, 07:01:35 AM

Author Topic: Ryan Telfer Thread  (Read 23722 times)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Telfer Thread
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2019, 05:41:21 AM »
can't make we 40 man squad

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2019, 06:40:31 PM »
can't make we 40 man squad

Yuh telling me? Steups!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2019, 05:10:50 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer comes on as a substitute in the 87th minute to provide the assist for the stoppage time equalizer in Toronto FC's 2-2 draw with Sporting Kansas City. That makes it two assists in two different leagues in the same week. Why is he not in our Gold Cup squad?

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/dyWExZOYGWQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/dyWExZOYGWQ</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2019, 06:24:56 PM »
Good for him. The irony is that he was able to seize this chance because of the Gold Cup. Imagine what he might have been able to contribute at the GC.

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:09 PM »
Glad to see my cousin get some love in here, but don't expect him to play for Trinidad anytime soon fellas sorry.

Offline Reaper2004

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2019, 07:56:19 PM »
So wha de f00ck he ha to do with anything?

He related to Gino?

His father is my Uncle Paul Telfer who is my Father's brother., our Grandfather is former TTT television personality Mervyn Telfer. His brother is Kevin Telfer and sister name is Nadya Telfer.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 01:38:35 AM »
So wha de f00ck he ha to do with anything?

He related to Gino?

His father is my Uncle Paul Telfer who is my Father's brother., our Grandfather is former TTT television personality Mervyn Telfer. His brother is Kevin Telfer and sister name is Nadya Telfer.

Since my name call for no apparent reason
Ill use this opp to promote my:

Debut music video "Sensy Girl" and EP with my 3 debut singles for the Lumina feature film

https://linktr.ee/ginomckoy

Check the link above brothers and sisters, support and share it

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2019, 08:39:08 AM »
Glad to see my cousin get some love in here, but don't expect him to play for Trinidad anytime soon fellas sorry.
Why not? Is he exploring other international options? Right now we're in dire need of strikers and he can seize an opportunity if he continues to keep scoring and develop with Toronto.

Offline Reaper2004

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 05:04:10 AM »
Why not? Is he exploring other international options? Right now we're in dire need of strikers and he can seize an opportunity if he continues to keep scoring and develop with Toronto.

There was an article where he was interviewed and was asked how come he wasn't called up to the National Team and he said he was passed up each time he tried out for them by the TTFA so he moved to Canada and became a citizen there. If I manage to find the article I will post it up here.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2019, 07:22:37 AM »

There was an article where he was interviewed and was asked how come he wasn't called up to the National Team and he said he was passed up each time he tried out for them by the TTFA so he moved to Canada and became a citizen there. If I manage to find the article I will post it up here.
It seems like we can't assess talent correctly. That's the same thing they did to Shaq Moore, now he's playing in Spain and for the US.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:07 AM »

It seems like we can't assess talent correctly. That's the same thing they did to Shaq Moore, now he's playing in Spain and for the US.
I think we have a chip on our shoulders about foreign talent.

Offline Reaper2004

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2019, 03:57:56 PM »
Ryan Telfer making the most of opportunity with Toronto FC
By Neil Davidson (The Canadian Press)

It’s early days yet but the 24-year-old midfielder-forward from Mississauga, via Trinidad and Tobago, is turning heads. Telfer topped off a man-of-the-match performance Friday night with the winning goal in Toronto FC’s 2-1 victory over Orlando City SC.

Telfer, making his fourth start, opened his MLS account with a beauty — a left-footed volley off a long-distance cross from Brazilian fullback Auro.

Two years ago, Telfer was scoring goals for York University. He was invited to a TFC-organized college combine in late 2016 after then-Toronto FC 2 coach Jason Bent and assistant coach Chris Pozniak, who knew York coach Carmine Isacco and his roster, suggested adding some local players.

A good showing there led to a training camp invitation.

“We thought he was something different — left-footed, very very quick, direct, strong and brave, very very brave,” Bent said at the time. “He settled into pre-season camp and did more than fine.”

The five-foot-11 180-pounder wasted little time marking his mark after signing with TFC 2 in March 2017. He scored eight minutes into his pro debut in a 1-0 win over Phoenix Rising FC before a sold-out crowd of 6,890 in Scottsdale, Ariz.

Telfer, who had one goal and one assist in 29 TFC 2 matches last season, only signed a first-team deal in mid-April.

His first three starts were at left fullback thanks to a rash of injuries. He moved up to the left side of midfield against Orlando, giving makeshift fullback Will Johnson — in his 249th career MLS start — fits with his probing runs and crosses.

“He did exactly what we wanted him to do on the attacking side,” said coach Greg Vanney. “Which was get on the ball when he could and be aggressive and try to run at the outside back.”

“He gave us an honest day’s work defensively,” he added.

Added midfielder Jay Chapman: “He was dangerous all game.”

Telfer hardly cracked a smile after scoring, admitting later: “To be honest, it hasn’t sunk it as of yet.”

“I’m just happy to be part of the team and help these guys win,” he said in his lilting Trinidadian accent.

With Justin Morrow a long-term casualty with a calf injury and Ashtone Morgan nursing a sore hamstring, Toronto has been short on the left side. Telfer has proved to be a useful, albeit very soft-spoken, addition.

“He’s another guy that’s stepped in and learned and only gotten better with every game he’s played,” said defender Eriq Zavaleta.

“He’s a good kid. He works hard,” he added.

Captain Michael Bradley also likes what he sees, pointing to Telfer’s athleticism, power and competitiveness.

“When we needed a play tonight, he came through for us.”

Born in Canada to parents from Trinidad and Tobago, Telfer grew up in Chaguanas in central Trinidad but regularly visited family here. He moved to Canada for school when he was 17.

Signing with Toronto FC has not gone to his head. He continued his civil engineering degree at York on a part-time basis. And he took a procession of buses to get to the team’s north Toronto training ground.

Telfer, who started soccer as a goalkeeper before switching to wingback, midfielder and ultimately forward, has been waiting a long time to be noticed. Growing up, Trinidad soccer officials ignored him.

“I’ve always been looked past, my entire life — until now,” he said after joining TFC 2.

This right here is why he would decline getting called up to the Soca Warriors. Cause the blasted TTFA ignored him throughout his trials.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2019, 06:17:07 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer equalizes with a venomous strike during York9 FC's 2-2 draw with Montreal Impact.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MB7fqg9gwlU?start=98" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MB7fqg9gwlU?start=98</a>
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:18:50 AM by Tallman »

Offline Reaper2004

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2019, 10:05:23 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer equalizes with a venomous strike during York9 FC's 2-2 draw with Montreal Impact.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/MB7fqg9gwlU?start=98" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/MB7fqg9gwlU?start=98</a>

Well taken shot cousin well taken shot!!!  :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2019, 10:51:06 AM »
DL better come calling
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2019, 07:57:39 PM »
DL better come calling
never thought i would say this but dennis lawrence is an ass. he reminds me of the Columbian coach from the 2009 World Cup campaign. they don’t have a clue who and what is good for this team both him and the ugly man in charge.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2019, 03:32:14 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer scores the game-winning goal from a counter attack during York9 FC's 2-1 win over FC Edmonton.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/aBE4m9Xzdjg?start=165" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/aBE4m9Xzdjg?start=165</a>

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2019, 10:44:17 AM »
Given the lack of quality forwards in the NT and the fact that the only forward in the last tournament only played in a meaningless game........it is  extremely confusing why this guy hasn't gotten a call months now......

Telfer and Greg's absence is a great tragedy  :banginghead:
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2019, 01:24:01 PM »
Given the lack of quality forwards in the NT and the fact that the only forward in the last tournament only played in a meaningless game........it is  extremely confusing why this guy hasn't gotten a call months now......

Telfer and Greg's absence is a great tragedy  :banginghead:

D . Lawrence refusal to step down is also a great tragedy to our football .... :banginghead:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2019, 03:34:49 PM »
Allyuh should ask allyuh self, why should Telfer want to join TT. Our FF is dysfunctional. Our coach is "shit" according to many on this forum. We don't play friendlies to get playing time for marginal players and other players like Telfer and Greg. The FF dropped out of the Olympic qualifications and they not sending a team to the PanAm games. So why should Telfer and Greg want to be on this shit squad when they have a better chance playing with the Canucks? if DL is a shithong coach, he has nothing to offer them. Why would they want to play for a shithong coach?

I would dearly love to see these players on the squad. But when are they going to get a run. DJW has to organize games. We doh even play games at home any more. Almost all of our games are away, with the exception of the just past WC.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:40:58 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2019, 02:56:18 AM »
TFC’s Vanney impressed by ‘confident’ Telfer ahead of Leg 2 Impact tilt
By James Grossi (york9fc.canpl.ca)

There was an insightful bit of fun in the post-match press conference following York9 FC’s 2-1 win over FC Edmonton on July 14.

Ryan Telfer had just scored the game-winner for York9, latching onto a long-ball from Manny Aparicio before burning past the Edmonton defence to pick out the far-side of goal with a right-footed blast.

“Ryan’s right-foot, it’s not bad. A couple goals with that right foot now,” said York coach Jimmy Brennan, referring to Telfer’s blast against the Montreal Impact in the Canadian Championship as well as the decisive goal against the Eddies.

“He keeps telling me he’s left-footed, but keeps scoring with his right.”

Telfer interjected: “Better than yours, buddy.”

“It is better than mine,” admitted Brennan, breaking into a story. “(Ryan) said to me the other day, he goes, ‘Gaffer, your left-foot is not bad. You know the only difference between you and me?’

‘What’s that?’ asked Brennan. “‘He goes: I’ve got a right-foot.’

“Thanks Ryan.”

On loan from Toronto FC, Telfer has quickly become one of the stars of the Canadian Premier League, scoring two goals in league play, one the first-ever, and another two in the Voyageurs Cup, including York9’s first-ever home goal in the second leg of their series against AS Blainville.

He has a knack for the big moment, as his strike against Montreal evidenced – he scored in his professional debut in USL back in 2017. That back-and-forth with Brennan was a show of how the Mississauga-native has blossomed.

Toronto FC head coach Greg Vanney, who watched that match against the Impact closely, was well aware of Telfer’s ambipedal abilities, too.

“I did (know he had a right-foot),” Vanney said with a smile.

“He’s developed a lot of confidence, and he knows he’s capable of not just competing, but excelling,” Vanney continued. “You can see his chest is up and he’s very comfortable, and that he can make a difference.

“That’s part of the purpose (of his loan): to gather that level of belief and feel that (confidence). It’s been a great experience for him and we’ll continue to keep an eye on him.”

Telfer has played in each of York’s 14 CPL matches thus far and all five cup games as well.

“At this point in my career, those minutes in this competitive league are very important for my development,” Telfer said.

“That’s one of the main reasons I came in the first place.”

The calibre of play in the CPL has not surprised him one bit, either.

“One of the first things I said was that a lot of people were going to be surprised at the level of this league and the quality of the players,” Telfer said, noting that for those people, it’s been ‘a pleasant surprise.’

With that decisive second leg against Montreal on Wednesday at Stade Saputo, and with the series tied 2-2, it is clear that Telfer’s loan thus far has borne fruit for both York9 and Toronto, opening the door for similar agreements in the future.

“It has to be an avenue that we continue to look at,” Vanney said. “This year we were all wondering what the CPL was going to look like, how it would fit in, and how could that be of good service to us, but also to those teams.

“We’re getting a better feel of that now as the season progresses.”

CPL clubs are expected to develop their own academy systems in the future – Edmonton has notably looked to theirs this season with the likes to Marcus Velado-Tsegaye, David Doe, and Prince Amanda joining the first team – but until those are fleshed out, it wouldn’t be a bad idea for clubs to make enquiries at the other professional clubs for burgeoning talents like Telfer that are in need of minutes.

A quick look at player resumes across the league sees stints, whether at the first team or academy level, with those other pro clubs – Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver Whitecaps FC, and Ottawa Fury FC – dotting every roster. There is tons of talent in Canada; the challenge has always been finding a place to flourish.

“It’s good to have a logjam,” said Vanney of the number of players itching for a step up. “At the end of the day, not all these players are going to come through. But if we can open up new pathways and new doors for them, the ones who don’t play for the first team can go on and have great careers too.

“That’s the way it works everywhere else around the world.”

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »
meanwhile In TT

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2019, 08:22:40 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer scores a brace in York9 FC's 6-2 thrashing of HFX Wanderers

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/rMxHg01fwJ0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/rMxHg01fwJ0</a>

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2019, 11:39:53 AM »
Too much Trini-on-Trini crime. Check Jan getting string over and over.  The HFX defending lawd

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:29 AM »
I hope DL paying attn to this man. He finished with his left and his right, seems to be inform and we need players with the ability to score goals.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 29, 2019, 10:19:45 AM »
I hope DL paying attn to this man. He finished with his left and his right, seems to be inform and we need players with the ability to score goals.

Daiz de problem right there. He in form. He need to stop scoring and play less, den he might get ah look.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 29, 2019, 10:40:18 AM »

Daiz de problem right there. He in form. He need to stop scoring and play less, den he might get ah look.

Yuh mentioned Rochford's call up? Where de rest?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 29, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »

Yuh mentioned Rochford's call up? Where de rest?

Of course nothing official has been released. The information was provided by FC Santa Rosa.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer on his national team decision
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2019, 07:42:01 PM »
Ryan Telfer on his national team decision
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

25-year-old midfielder Ryan Telfer has been a star player in the burgeoning Canadian Premier League: he’s scored four league goals (along with two in the Canadian Championship, including one against Montreal), has consistently looked dangerous, and even bagged an assist when he made a three-minute substitute appearance for his parent club, Toronto FC.

The form of the former York Lion has impressed TFC head coach Greg Vanney, with Telfer crediting his good MLS showing to his time spent in the Canadian Premier League. To that end, he’s been called the perfect prototype for what a loan in the Canadian Premier League can do for a player.

So, it shouldn’t be surprising to hear that there are rumours of a potential national team call-up in Ryan’s future, with the caveat that it’s not only one country looking at the winger. While Telfer is eligible to play for Canada, he could also play for Trinidad and Tobago. Recent rumours have indicated that he may get an invitation from the latter, where he spent some sixteen years growing up.

When asked by Vince Alvarado of the Nine Stripes Podcast about the rumours and if he could make a decision between representing Canada or Trinidad and Tobago when it comes to starting an international career, Telfer was honest in his answer: it’s a difficult decision.

"It's something I've been looking at myself. Every good player has represented their national country of choice, and it's an opportunity that's supposedly coming towards me. I have to make a certain choice on who I would like to represent. Honestly, at this point it's hard to say which one to go towards."

With Telfer having strong attachments to both countries, it’s absolutely fair for him to take his time with the decision – though neither Canada nor Trinidad and Tobago have made their efforts to court the player come in a highly public manner as of yet. With the Nations League matches coming up in the near future, however, that might be subject to change. Telfer knows it.

"Coming towards September, there's going to be Nations League games. You know, those are important games for both countries. To this point it whoever is willing to give me the opportunity. I don't want to step into that area of thinking, you know, I'm just going here just for show. I want to go there and make a difference. It's up to whoever is willing to let me do that. When the time comes, I'll have to make that choice."

It’s wise thinking from the 25-year-old: if he gets cap-tied to a country that only plays him a handful of times, it’s not the greatest career move when compared to representing a country that might give him opportunities to play consistently down the road.

Teal Bunbury once made a similar decision: eligible to play for both Canada and the United States, the Hamilton-born forward eventually decided on the Stars and Stripes. Given that he was the son of Canadian international Alex Bunbury (who wants to start a CPL club in Montreal), the move didn’t set well with Canadian fans.

York9 FC gaffer Jim Brennan, perhaps sensing that a Teal Bunbury-like situation may arise, chimed in and offered his support for Telfer:

"We've talked about it. At the end of the day, he's got to make a decision which is best for his career, so he'll take his time with it. Whichever one he chooses, we'll support because he deserves it. It's always nice to be recognized by two countries that want him to come play. It's an important decision he has to make, but whatever it is, as a club, star, and players, we'll support that decision that he makes."

Whichever way the decision goes, Telfer’s time spent playing in the Canadian Premier League helped put him on the radar for the national teams of both countries, and that’s exactly what the league is designed to do: give domestic players minutes on the pitch in a professional environment to help them showcase their skills.

In Telfer’s case, it evidently hasn’t taken long for him to showcase exactly what he brings to the table. To that end, the 25-year-old has some big decisions coming up in his future: aside of potentially declaring for a national team, his contract with Toronto FC is set to expire later on this year. It’ll be interesting to see if he renews with his MLS club, joins York9 FC on a free, or does something entirely different.

Whatever happens, the Canadian Premier League allowed him to flourish, and that can only help attract more players oh his caliber to the league in the future.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 20, 2019, 01:10:10 PM »
I hope he gets the chance to play NT football for either Canada or us one day. If we haven't reached out to this player in some capacity yet we real slacking!

1]; } ?>