March 28, 2024, 03:26:38 PM

Author Topic: Ryan Telfer Thread  (Read 23696 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ryan Telfer Thread
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2019, 08:50:29 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer nets the equalizer in York9 FC's 2-2 draw with FC Edmonton

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/77Ia7O1pVDE?start=253" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/77Ia7O1pVDE?start=253</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:37 PM »
In fact, Herdman admitted that Carducci, as well as Tristan Borges of Forge FC and York9 FC’s Ryan Telfer, are on his radar and of his coaching staff, including assistant Mauro Biello who has overseen the scouting of CPL players.

“Those names have been part of these selection discussions, and that’s exciting because in the past they’d be sitting on the bench somewhere and not anywhere near the [national team] conversation because they weren’t getting regular minutes and a chance to perform,” Herdman explained.
https://canpl.ca/article/cavalrys-carducci-1st-cpl-player-to-earn-canada-call-up

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2019, 07:41:56 AM »
In fact, Herdman admitted that Carducci, as well as Tristan Borges of Forge FC and York9 FC’s Ryan Telfer, are on his radar and of his coaching staff, including assistant Mauro Biello who has overseen the scouting of CPL players.

“Those names have been part of these selection discussions, and that’s exciting because in the past they’d be sitting on the bench somewhere and not anywhere near the [national team] conversation because they weren’t getting regular minutes and a chance to perform,” Herdman explained.
https://canpl.ca/article/cavalrys-carducci-1st-cpl-player-to-earn-canada-call-up
You snooze you lose.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 30, 2019, 08:38:32 AM »
Wonder what that messaging signifies to Ranjitsingh.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2019, 04:12:37 PM »
WATCH: Canadian-based forward Ryan Telfer talks about his decision to represent Trinidad and Tobago.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/a8WJVA14tIA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/a8WJVA14tIA</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 04, 2019, 07:10:15 PM »
Wait nah. We back in Joma?  :bs: :cursing: :frustrated: :rotfl:

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2019, 08:17:47 PM »

You in town long enough to know what that Capelli shenanigan was about.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2019, 08:23:32 PM »
Excellent delivery by Telfer. :thumbsup:

Could someone shed light on his football at Fatima?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2019, 09:50:53 AM »

???
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2019, 10:35:10 AM »

???

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/06/capelli-trinidad-and-tobago-gold-cup-2019-home-away-kits.html?m=1

Unrelated foonote:

Capelli's big boss acquired the majority stake in Frenderup's club recently. Shortly after that Frenderup bounced and landed at a lower division club.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2019, 04:23:21 PM »
short term ting then or short term baccanal ting
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
York9’s Telfer thankful for international chance offered by Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #71 on: September 15, 2019, 08:21:36 AM »
York9’s Telfer thankful for international chance offered by Trinidad and Tobago
By James Grossi (canpl.ca)

York9 FC’s Ryan Telfer has a knack for making history.

The 25-year-old attacker scored the first goal of the inaugural Canadian Premier League season on April 27 at Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton. He bagged York9’s first goal at home as well, in the Canadian Championship against AS Blainville a month later, and there was his cracker against the Montreal Impact, the first goal scored by a CPL player against an MLS side.

Then he made a little more history this past international break. On Sept. 9, Telfer became the first CPL player to score an international goal when he tucked one in for Trinidad and Tobago in a 2-2 draw with Martinique at home in the Concacaf Nations League. (Ex-Forge FC loanee Emery Welshman scored for Guyana, but that was before the CPL season kicked off.)

Telfer is back with Y9 now, but he’s still buzzing from making his international debut for Trinidad.

“It was one heck of an experience,” Telfer told CanPL.ca. “Different in general from club football, the international level is more competitive, you felt that in both games.

“The intensity, what’s at stake for the fans, points towards qualifying for the Hex.”

Telfer made his debut for T&T a few days earlier away to Martinique, a 1-1 draw between the two nations, after only finding out he’d be suiting up the day of the match, having rushed to get his passport details sorted and join the squad. It was in the home fixture when the reality really sunk in.

“Getting to play your first game at the country you’re representing, being able to play in front of family and friends, who you grew up with for the longest while, was a truly honourable experience,” Telfer said. “Very humbling indeed to understand where you come from, the same streets you come from, being able to put the colours on your back and represent the country in total.

“I really enjoyed my time, being able to play in front of your home crowd. For (them) to be behind your back, supporting you every time you touch that ball, gave me so much energy.”

Before he could relish that moment, he was faced with a choice: Trinidad and Tobago or Canada? Telfer was born in Mississauga, Ont., but was raised in Trinidad, so when he received a call-up from T&T manager Dennis Lawrence for the country’s first two Nations League matches, Telfer had to decide to which country he would pledge his international allegiance. In the end, he accepted the invite from the Soca Warriors

His decision came down to two factors: a chance and the challenge.

“I was really looking for that one chance to express myself, to prove what I could bring to the table,” Telfer explained. “That was a chance Trinidad was willing to give.

“I really liked the idea of a challenge.”

He added: “Would I be able to help Trinidad and Tobago football to move further, help them to qualify for a Gold Cup, even qualify for the Hex? That’s something that I want to take seriously. I don’t really like being on the back burner, being able to see things happen. I’m one of those guys that wants to make a difference; that has to make a difference.

“That’s what my time at York9 this year has brought me, and what Toronto FC sent me here (on loan) for: being able to step up to the plate and prove yourself that you can change things for yourself. That’s what I really look forward to.”

Though mentioned by John Herdman as someone they were tracking heading into the latest Canadian national team camp, Telfer said there was no contact between himself and the coach.

“Just before I was called up to Trinidad, I was on the short list before Herdman picked his final squad, but not anything from him personally leading up to this,” Telfer said. “It made my choice pretty much made up knowing that. If I had the chance, maybe I would have (taken) that path.

“I was just looking for the one chance to showcase my skills and see what I could bring to the table. It came to me as who was willing to give me that platform first, I was going to jump up at it and it turned out this way.

“There was also a gut-feeling for me to lean towards this side. Honestly, I’m happy with the situation.”

Still, Telfer sees a bright future ahead for Canada.

“Everyone knows the talent Canada has right now,” Telfer offered. “Players playing in Europe: Alphonso Davies, (Junior) Hoilett for a few to name. Even guys getting called up from the CPL, like (Marco) Carducci. You’re starting to see all the Canadian talent flourish.”

He continued: “It’s really coming together under Herdman. He has a very good reputation and what he is doing so far you could see in the results.

“I honestly believe (Canada) will be able to do great things in the future.”

And he sees a parallel between Canada and Trinidad and Tobago.

“Canada took a step back from the international game for a long time, things haven’t been so great, but now the talent is starting to come back. Time was there weren’t a bunch of players on your radar,” Telfer said.

“Being able to play with these guys on the field, you understand these guys have talent, we have a pretty good shot at this.”

So, what if Trinidad ever plays Canada in the future and he has to line up against the Reds?

“That would be a pretty mouth-watering game,” Tefer said. “If that ever happens, I’ll really look forward to marking that one on my calendar.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
York9’s Telfer learned to love the game in Trinidad and Tobago
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2019, 05:03:27 PM »
York9’s Telfer learned to love the game in Trinidad and Tobago
By James Grossi (canpl.ca)

Ryan Telfer’s recent pair of appearances for Trinidad and Tobago in the CONCACAF Nations League was a homecoming of sorts for the York9 FC midfielder.

Telfer made history this past international break when he became the first CPL player to score an international goal when he tucked one in for Trinidad and Tobago in a 2-2 draw with Martinique at home. (Ex-Forge FC loanee Emery Welshman scored for Guyana, but that was before the CPL season kicked off.)

It was a special moment for Telfer, who was born in Canada, but was raised in Trinidad, living in the central region of the country, and playing his football, for club and school, in the capital of Port of Spain.

“I played for Skhy FC, a small club, but they base themselves as an academy,” Telfer told CanPL.ca. “The whole environment was more focused on helping players in their technical abilities and whatnot, that’s what they really focus on, that’s what really helped me in what my game is today. I also went to Fatima College, one of the most prestigious boys’ schools, secondary schools in Trinidad. I played there as well. They were one of the top teams.”

It was there he learned to love the game.

“In Trinidad and Tobago there is only two sports growing up: either cricket or football, and football was the major one,” Telfer stated. “My dad used to play soccer as well, he was always around (the game), always playing football.”

He added: “There was always a football around the house, gradually I started picking up the sport. And so, in time, having friends who played as well, just in the streets, that’s where I truly learned to love the game for what it is. I really enjoyed the times where you’re able to pick up a ball and you make friends so easily. And having family and friends supporting the game and playing, it made me want to play more.”

When Telfer was called into the national team by coach Dennis Lawrence, it was as though he was reuniting with old friends.

“I went to school with Sheldon Bateau, he was the captain, Adrian Foncette. Those two guys I went to school with at Fatima College,” Telfer explained. “(Kevin) Molino was always a name when I was growing up, one of the top prospect players. Joevin Jones, Leston Paul, names that were around the time when I was there, hearing about these guys, these guys are really good.

“Being able to share the field with them was really humbling experience.”

As a group, the Soca Warriors aim to bring their nation back to the highest echelons on the international game: The World Cup, just as some of the greats have in the past. The country’s lone appearance came in 2006 when it bowed out in the group stage.

“You aspired to be one of those guys. Shaka Hislop being able to go to the Premiership, as well as Dwight (Yorke) and his time at Manchester United, the things they did there. They represented the flag of Trinidad and Tobago,” Telfer said. “As a kid, looking at these guys play, you wanted to do that same thing, to put your country on the map as well.

“Coming from a small country in the Caribbean you don’t really hear much of guys going to Europe and making a name for themselves. I was part of that generation that really looked towards these guys, especially during World Cup qualification in 2006. That changed everything for a whole lot of people. They made the dream look believable, a future that everyone in my generation really looked forward to and that’s what we’re trying to pursue now.”

Having shared the spoils against Martinique, Trinidad will face Honduras in October and November in Group C of the Concacaf Nations League to determine who moves on to the finals in June 2020.

With seven goals in 26 league and cup appearances while on loan at York9 from TFC, Telfer credits the CPL for giving him the platform to excel: “That’s what has been flourishing for me at York9, realizing that potential and stepping up to the plate.”

His parents, both “born and bred” in Trinidad and Tobago, regularly watch him at York Lions Stadium, but were unable to be at Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain, though he did have a supporter’s section.

“They come to see me play football up here,” Telfer laughed. “I guess they didn’t see this coming, where I would be called to Trinidad and having to go back there. They missed the first game of me playing for Trinidad and Tobago.

“Those were my uncles, my brother; family and friends supporting me there.”

The one in the TFC shirt was his brother.

And as for that goal.

“You know me, hardly any celebration at all,” Telfer quipped. “There was a rebound in the box, it was a 50-50 chance, was of those where you had to get there first to have a sniff at goal. Fortunately, I got there first and it went in.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 21, 2019, 04:57:14 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer gets back to his goalscoring ways with his sixth of the season in York9 FC's 3-1 win over FC Edmonton.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/NLatUV7s9r4?start=88" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/NLatUV7s9r4?start=88</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 17, 2019, 10:59:45 AM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer's brace helps York9 FC to clinch third place in the Canadian Premier League's inaugural Fall season with a 4-0 win over Valour FC.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/yEeLZxjhSq8?start=29" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/yEeLZxjhSq8?start=29</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer left unprotected in MLS Expansion Draft
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2019, 09:36:17 AM »
Ryan Telfer left unprotected in MLS Expansion Draft
By John Jacques (Northern Tribune)

With both Nashville SC and Inter Miami CF preparing for their inaugural Major League Soccer seasons, another expansion draft is due to get underway next week. 19 MLS clubs will need to participate in the draft, which gives the two aforementioned expansion teams an opportunity to take players from the other MLS teams.

Clubs that lost a player to the expansion draft last year are exempt from this year’s draft. MLS Cup runners-up Toronto FC didn’t lose anyone to the draft last year, which means that TFC head coach Greg Vanney may potentially lose one of his players in this year’s edition of the expansion draft.

While he was allowed to protect a limited amount of players on the club roster, one of the club’s unprotected players will be a familiar name for Canadian Premier League fans: it’s none other than former York9 FC winger Ryan Telfer.

The 25-year-old winger had a stellar year in Canada’s only domestic professional league: he scored ten goals in 32 appearances across all competitions, including the league’s first-ever goal and, later on, a crucial one against the Montreal Impact in the Voyageurs Cup.

His quick attacking play and positional versatility eventually led to a call-up for Trinidad and Tobago, for whom he scored a goal for on his second appearance. He was also recalled to Toronto FC for a single match, contributing an assist in just three minutes on the pitch. All-in-all, he impressed head coach Greg Vanney as he racked up professional minutes on-loan in the CPL, though his future with the MLS side ultimately remains unclear.

With Toronto FC having no shortage of attacking midfield options through the likes of Jonathan Osorio, Nicolas Benezet, Alejandro Pozuelo, Marky Delgado, and Nick DeLeon, the club has opted to leave Telfer unprotected. Even midfielder Tsubasa Endoh, who started in the 2019 MLS Cup Final, was left unprotected. The club is likely gambling that neither Nashville nor Miami will want to use an international roster spot on the Japanese midfielder.

For US-based clubs, Telfer would similarly count as an international, as Canadian players only count as domestic players for Canadian MLS sides. It’s another calculated rationale behind leaving the 25-year-old unprotected.

Even if Telfer doesn’t get picked up by Nashville or Inter Miami, it’s not clear if the Mississauga-born winger lies in Vanney’s plans: York9 FC gaffer Jim Brennan said he would love to have Telfer back, but any potential move – whether it comes as a permanent transfer or another loan – may depend on whether Toronto FC renews Telfer’s contract, which is set to expire at the end of the calendar year.

Of course, Telfer isn’t the only Toronto FC player left unprotected: it wouldn’t be too surprising to see either expansion team pick up Justin Morrow, Laurent Ciman, or Tsubasa Endoh, so the fact that Telfer is more of a known product in Canada than the USA may benefit CPL fans hoping he’ll return to the league in the near future.

Still, Inter Miami hasn’t been shy about picking up players with high ceilings from north of the border: the club has already acquired David Norman Jr. from Vancouver (who spent a month on loan with Pacific FC), and also picked up Toronto FC midfielder Jay Chapman last week.

The 2019 MLS Expansion Draft will take place on Tuesday, November 19. Both Nashville SC and Inter Miami CF will be allowed to draft up to five players each, with the caveat that once a player is selected from an existing MLS team, no other player can be drawn from that club’s roster. So, if Nashville or Inter Miami picks up Morrow, it means that Telfer and the rest of the unprotected TFC players would be exempt from the rest of the draft.

For what it’s worth, it seems like Telfer prefers to stay close to home: he almost went on loan to the now-defunct Ottawa Fury earlier this year, but York9 FC assistant head coach Carmine Isacco – who coached him through his years at York University – ultimately convinced Telfer that a loan closer to home would be a better fit for him.

Interestingly, FC Cincinnati’s Blake Smith is neither on the MLS side’s roster nor on the club’s unprotected list. Despite being placed on waivers by FC Cincinnati earlier this year, he was still loaned to Pacific FC for the duration of the inaugural season. Smith’s future in the MLS remains unclear, and when asked if a potential return to the Canadian Premier League was on the cards, he simply said that one never know what the future holds.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2020, 01:03:25 PM »
Ryan Telfer has joined Cypriot First Division club, Nea Salamis Famagusta FC until the end of the 2019/20 season.

Telfer joins Cyprus First Division club.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago Senior team forward Ryan Telfer has signed with Cyprus First Division club, Nea Salamis Famagusta FC until the end of the 2019/20 season.

Telfer previous played with Canadian clubs Toroto FC and York 9 FC and is now excited about joining the European ranks.

“Fully excited to make this move to Nea Salamis. It’s always be on the books to make move across to Europe, to be able to play for a First Division club and experience European football. It just so happened that the opportunity has come at the right time after having a pretty good season with York 9 on loan from Toronto FC,” Telfer told TTFA Media on Wednesday.

“Upon Toronto FC fully releasing me, it opened a bunch of options. It then became apparent that European clubs were interested. I’m really excited to see how well I can fare against top opposition in Europe. I’m very eager to play with this team.”

Telfer who made his debut against Martinique last year is anticipating the year ahead with the National team with international friendlies coming up in March ahead of the CONCACAF Gold Cup playoffs in June against either Barbados or Guyana.

“Having this experience out here can possibly prepare me for bigger things with the national team. Seeing that we have a Gold Cup to qualify for and there is still some World Cup hopes, it’s a lot to look forward to this year and I’m definitely eager to come back and play for the national team,” Telfer added.

The 25-year-old Telfer, a former Fatima College player, was signed by Toronto FC in 2018 before going on loan to York 9 where he scored 8 goals in some 26 appearances. He has three goals in six appearances for T&T.

Nea Salamis are currently sixth on the league table. The club is named after the ancient city of Cyprus, Salamis or Salamina, which is located nearby modern Famagusta.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:23:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ryan Telfer returns to York9 FC
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2020, 12:06:42 PM »
Ryan Telfer returns to York9 FC
york9fc.canpl.ca

The Nine Stripes have moved swiftly to secure the return of former loanee Ryan Telfer from Nea Salamina Famagusta in Cyprus.

Following a successful spell with York9 FC last year, the winger left Toronto FC at the end of the season after they declined to pick up his option for 2020.

Fresh from eight goals in 26 games in the inaugural season of the Canadian Premier League – where he netted the first goal in league history three minutes into the opener against Forge FC at Tim Hortons Field last April – he took up a short-term contract offer to play in the Cypriot First Division.

The versatile attacker also claimed the honour of being the first person to score for a CPL team against Major League Soccer opposition when he equalized against the Montreal Impact in the Canadian Championship.

Having featured for both York University Lions and League1 Ontario’s Vaughan Azzurri, he returned to the region last March after playing in 16 MLS regular-season games for Toronto FC, as well as 38 times for Toronto FC II.

He has been capped six times by Trinidad and Tobago, with his first coming in September 2019. By scoring in only his second appearance, against Martinique in the CONCACAF Nations League, the 26-year-old from Mississauga, ON, also added the accolade of the first international goal scored by a CPL player to his resume.

Telfer said: “York has always been a second home to me and it feels good to be back. To the fans and club, I’ve got unfinished business here.”

Managing consultant Angus McNab added: “We are delighted to welcome Ryan back to the club. We have had to be a little patient to get this deal completed, but now that it is, we’re all looking forward to the prospect of him rejoining the group. To be able to add a player of Ryan’s calibre to our attacking options only enhances how competitive we expect to be when we resume.”

“He will always be a hugely important figure for both York9 FC and the CPL after scoring such significant firsts. After the sale of Emilio [Estevez], it was important to ensure we brought in a top-quality replacement, and with Ryan, we have done that.”

Player bio:

Full Name: Ryan Telfer

Pronunciation: Tel-fur

Position: Winger

Birth Date: March 4,1994

Height: 5’11

Hometown: Mississauga, ON

Nationality: Canadian/Trinidadian

Last Club: Nea Salamis (Cyprus)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
York9 FC’s Ryan Telfer: Athletes need to speak up about racial inequality
yorke9fc.canpl.ca

Should pro athletes speak out about social issues?

It’s an interesting debate that has taken place the last few years as more and more sports personalities use their celebrity to shed light on such important topics as racial inequality.

The question of whether athletes should enter the public forum has come to the forefront again, as protests have been staged around the world in the aftermath of George Floyd’s death at the hands of police in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

As the Black Lives Matter movement has gained momentum, stars from sports leagues all across the world have taken advantage of their platforms to offer their thoughts on issues of race and white privilege.

Sports fans appear to be divided into two camps. On the one hand, they applaud the bravery of their favourite athlete in taking a public stand. Others feel they should keep quiet, and “just stick to sports.”

The argument that athletes should shut up and just stick to sports is “total tomfoolery,” according to York9 FC winger Ryan Telfer.

“If you look at celebrities, musicians, actors, and those who are highly-regarded in the community, they have a big influence on the people who follow them. It’s the same thing for athletes. I know the thing with sports is that some people think it should take a neutral stance, that sports should not be divided up in terms of what people believe in. For me, in terms of the sporting community, athletes should use their platform to shed light on (societal issues),” Telfer told CanPL.ca.

“I’m sure the (most famous) athletes in the world are getting advice from people close to them not to take a stand because you never know how it might come out and be interpreted. But they shouldn’t be afraid to speak out.”

Telfer, a 26-year-old from Mississauga who grew up in Trinidad and Tobago, explained that as a person of colour in Canada he sometimes feels like “an outsider.”

“Where I’m from in the Caribbean, you don’t see that kind of (racism) on a daily basis. Not to say it doesn’t exist where I’m from; it does, but not to the point where it’s sometimes so in your face,” Telfer said.

“I’ve always grown up thinking that there’s some good in people, and I’ve always been taught to believe in the equality of people, and not focus on whatever their bad parts are.”

He later added: “I have to admit in my time that I’ve been called names … It’s tough to see how things have escalated to this point just because people look different.”

As someone who is has been on the receiving end of racist remarks, Telfer feels it is important to give his to “support to people who face injustice their entire lives.”

But he also stressed that the issue of racism extends far beyond the United States and Canada – that people have to look beyond their local communities.

“As much as things need to be talked about (the situation in the U.S.) with the police, I always think about the big picture. Even though America is a first-world country and people deal with racial injustice, you have to think about it globally. If you look at different areas around the world – over in Africa, most people there are black but there’s still racial injustice there,” Telfer offered.

“This goes beyond the issue of race and colour. … People have to stand up for themselves. Communities need to come together, not just black or Asian communities or white communities – everybody has to come together as human beings and stand up for what is right.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2020, 08:11:53 PM »
WATCH: York9 FC's Ryan Telfer joins individual training after completing his 14 day quarantine following his return from Cyprus.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1Y9bWwIkU84" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1Y9bWwIkU84</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 31, 2021, 06:13:28 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer reflects on World Cup qualifying, the compressed schedule and its challenges. Telfer scored against Guyana in the opening match of the 2022 qualification campaign.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/PPVJpTZclaE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/PPVJpTZclaE</a>

We have to rest and recover, says national striker Ryan Telfer.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

NATIONAL men's football team forward Ryan Telfer believes the two-month window ahead of Trinidad and Tobago’s next FIFA World Cup qualifier against Bahamas, on June 5, should provide the men’s team with ample time to rest, recover and positively reflect on their opening two results against Guyana and Puerto Rico.

On March 25, the national team recorded a winning-start to their Concacaf World Cup qualifier campaign by defeating Guyana 3-0 at the Estadio Panamericano, San Cristobal, Dominican Republic. Three days later, they held on to a 1-1 result against hosts Puerto Rico at the Mayaguez Athletics Stadium, Mayaguez.

With Bahamas and St Kitts and Nevis (June 8th) next in line to face the T&T team in the first round of qualifying, Telfer wants his teammates and coaching staff to use the coming weeks to recuperate and better prepare for the forthcoming matches.

Telfer said, “It’s a good thing that it’s (next qualifier) not too close and not too far away. This game (Puerto Rico) will still be fresh in our minds and we will like to make amends in the next round of games. We would have a lot of time to repair and look at the teams we’re going to play.

“Having guys go back to their clubs and carrying out playing games and further training will help and boost the squad entirely. It’s just the amount of time we would have to repair is something good for us,” said Telfer.

The 27-year old got on the scoresheet against Guyana by netting T&T’s third goal in the 44th minute. He also started against Puerto Rico before he was replaced by Willis Plaza in the 69th minute.

One of the major takeaways for Telfer after the Puerto Rico fixture was not underestimating opponents for World Cup qualifiers. According to him, no matter the size of country, population and/or what sporting facilities are at their dispersal, opponents must not be taken for granted.

“It didn’t go the way we expected it to go. The team and everyone felt that we fell a little bit short in getting the three points. Looking at it from another perspective is that it’s an away game and we got away with a point. It shows a lot of things that we need to work on off the training pitch,” he added.

Telfer also pointed out that travelling to Puerto Rico on March 26, the day after the Guyana clash, may have also taken a toll on the squad. Their hectic schedule of back-to-back matches only allowed for two days of training prior to the Puerto Rico match.

“I, and some of the guys believe that, we could have prepared much better. With a short period of time playing Guyana two days prior. That space of recovery and regrouping and trying to get a sheet (team) for looking towards the Puerto Rico game was a very small amount of time.

“I believe if we had more time, a day or two days extra, a lot of things could have been put in place for what we wanted to do. But this is World Cup qualifiers and these things happen. It’s just for the team and coaching staff to be on one page and be able to have a game plan from the get-go,” Telfer added.

He, however, lauded coach Terry Fenwick’s inclusion of more experienced players to the squad for the World Cup qualifiers.

Against USA on January 31, in T&T’s first international friendly in over a year, Fenwick fielded a much younger outfit and was handed a 7-0 whipping. Several seasoned players were unavailable for the friendly and Fenwick opted to give a few debutants and inexperienced players a chance.

But with the addition of more experienced players such as captain Khaleem Hyland, Levi Garcia, Joevin Jones, Sheldon Bateau and Aubrey David to the squad, T&T displayed better composure on the pitch.

“Having a makeshift squad to play against the USA compared to a bunch of seasoned players to come back and play these World Cup qualifiers," Telfer said. "That alone is a huge difference on things off and on the pitch.

“It was better in Puerto Rico because we have guys who played Nations League games back in 2019. It was almost the same core group of players with just a few exceptions. Just from the experience alone, a couple years ago, really helps towards something as huge as World Cup qualifiers,” he added.

Watch Taking A Point - Telfer looks back at WCQ weekend

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:40:40 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Atlético Ottawa signs winger Ryan Telfer
« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2021, 12:10:49 PM »
Atlético Ottawa signs winger Ryan Telfer
atleticoottawa.canpl.ca

Atlético Ottawa is excited to announce the signing of 27-year-old Canadian and Trinidad and Tobago International Winger, Ryan Telfer.

Telfer played the last two seasons with fellow CPL side York9 FC (now York United FC). He managed ten goals and three assists, including scoring first goal in Canadian Premier League history just three minutes into the first CPL match. He sits second in all-time club appearances (39).

Ryan, 27, was born in Mississauga, Ontario and raised in Trinidad and Tobago. He returned to Canada and continued youth soccer with Erin Mills Eagles. He went on to play at York University where he won an Ontario University Athletics (OUA) and Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) championship (now U SPORTS).

Ryan played with League1 Ontario side Vaughan Azzurri in 2016 and in 2017, signed with Toronto FC II (USL Championship) and made 38 appearances scoring one goal and adding one assist.

In 2018, Telfer signed with Toronto FC (MLS) and made 19 appearances across all competitions scoring one goal and adding two assists. Ryan scored his first and only MLS goal, a game winner against Orlando City FC, on May 18th, 2018.

Ryan Telfer is known for his speed down the wing, ability to create chances and eye for goal. Telfer represents Trinidad and Tobago at the international level. He has eight caps since 2019 and has scored four goals.

“Ryan is someone who brings a lot of experience and leadership to our Club. He is one of the top players in the Canadian Premier League. We believe he brings a lot of skill to our team and we will look for him to contribute to achieve our objectives. Telfer encompasses the values of what it means to be a member of the Atleti family,” says Fernando Lopez, Atlético Ottawa, CEO.

“We had an idea of what we were getting when we signed Ryan, but he has exceeded our expectations and impressed with his physical and technical quality. Our fans should look forward to what he brings to our club,” says Mista, Atlético Ottawa, Head Coach.

“I am excited for this new chapter. Joining a new club is not something you can do every year especially one with the history of the Atlético family. I am ready to give the fans in Ottawa everything I have to win,” says Ryan Telfer, Atlético Ottawa, Winger.

Ryan Telfer is the 15th player announced by Atlético Ottawa for the 2021 CPL season. He joins fellow Canadians Zach Verhoven, Jordan Webb, Dylon Powley, Chris Mannella and Keesean Ferdinand as new signings for Atlético Ottawa.

In addition, to already announced domestic re-signings Milovan Kapor, Antoine Coupland, Ben McKendry, Brandon John, Malcolm Shaw, and international players Viti Martinez, Bernardinho, Tevin Shaw and Vashon Neufville.

To follow all offseason news like Atlético Ottawa on Facebook and follow @atletiOttawa on Twitter and Instagram.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/RhjmAnhogVM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/RhjmAnhogVM</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
History-maker: Breaking down Ryan Telfer’s CPL career so far
« Reply #83 on: April 22, 2021, 03:59:16 PM »
History-maker: Breaking down Ryan Telfer’s CPL career so far
By Martin Thompson (canpl.ca)

Ryan Telfer is back in the CPL – what history will he make next?

The 27-year-old signed for Atlético Ottawa this week after leaving York United last Fall. Telfer, you may recall, has had quite a successful career at the CPL level, making 39 appearances for York (then York9 FC) across two seasons, scoring ten goals and adding three assists.

Telfer, a native of Mississauga, Ont., has quietly racked up quite a list of accomplishments through the first two CPL seasons, going all the way back before the league’s inaugural game on April 27, 2019.

Here’s what the CPL’s history-maker has managed to accomplish so far – with his next chapter in Ottawa coming up next.

First MLS-to-CPL loan
Telfer became the first player loaned to the CPL from an MLS club in March of 2019. Swapping Toronto FC for the Nine Stripes, Telfer had returned to York Lions Stadium where he starred for York University before featuring for Vaughan Azzurri of League1 Ontario and, eventually, climbing to TFC through their second team, where he featured 38 times in 2017 and 2018.

It was a meteoric climb through the ranks in the Greater Toronto Area which culminated in a once-in-a-lifetime moment just down the road in Hamilton.

First goal in CPL history
You remember this one, yeah?

Just as supporters, players, and coaches at Tim Hortons Field revelled in the euphoric state induced by the initial ceremonies and pomp surrounding the first match in the Canadian Premier League’s history, it happened.

York9 captain Manny Aparicio cut Forge FC’s backline with a smart through pass, which Telfer wiggled through a sliding defender. That opened up a 1-v-1 opportunity with Forge goalkeeper Triston Henry. Telfer wouldn’t miss his mark and his chance to be a name synonymous with the CPL forever.

“It’s a special feeling. Just to be known as the first goalscorer in this new league is something special to me,” Telfer told reporters after the match, having just seen messages from family, friends and supporters. “It honestly hits inside. There’s no better feeling than having family members being proud of you.”

First goalscorer at York Lions Stadium
Telfer’s next history-making moment came just under a month later when the Nine Stripes faced AS Blainville in the Canadian Championship.

After a scoreless first leg in Quebec, Telfer and co. returned for a pseudo-home opener against the PLSQ side. Difficulties in front of goal plagued Jimmy Brennan’s group until the 70th minute when Simon Adjei, unlucky not to score himself, thumped a ball towards the keeper, who parried the opportunity up for a diving Telfer.

While a dry run for their CPL home opener against Forge that weekend, you couldn’t ignore Telfer notching yet another record.

First goalscorer against an MLS opponent
In a gritty, all-out affair with the Montreal Impact (now CF Montreal) at York Lions Stadium, Telfer was the Nine Stripes player to step up when it mattered with a rocket of a second-half shot at York Lions Stadium.

At a field he was used to, from his time at York University, against an MLS opponent he had previously faced, the occasion seemed to Telfer’s level in an unexplainable way. Perhaps it was the confidence that bred from both instances.

First international goal in CPL history
Telfer’s play in 2019 quickly caught the attention of Trinidad and Tobago – not before Canadian men’s boss John Herdman showed interest – and soon enough he had jetted off to the Caribbean to represent the Soca Warriors.

In his second international match against Martinique, Telfer found the back of the net with a mad scramble. Oddly similar to his last international marker which, you guessed it, has set another record…

Most international goals by an active CPLer
Telfer’s four goals for the country while a CPLer is a record among players active in the league. His last came in March against Guyana in 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifying when he, uh, capitalized on an error for the goalkeeper.

The 27-year-old has made eight appearances for Trinidad and Tobago and is set to play a big part in their World Cup qualifying campaign which will continue in June with crucial tilts against the Bahamas and Saint Kitts and Nevis – the latter of which could be a group decider. Perhaps a chance to add to his tally?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 23, 2021, 08:06:48 PM »
I tell my yankee sons a Trini signed for Atletico, their eyes get big, then they see Ottowa and they steups.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 23, 2021, 08:41:00 PM »
I tell my yankee sons a Trini signed for Atletico, their eyes get big, then they see Ottowa and they steups.
:laugh:
I pity the fool....

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2021, 12:51:32 AM »

:rotfl:

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2021, 01:25:56 PM »
 :rotfl:
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 02, 2021, 04:25:31 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer scores his first Canadian Premier League goal since October 2019 when he buries this header during Atlético Ottawa's 2-1 loss to Halifax Wanderers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jnsag5plHWE?start=24" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jnsag5plHWE?start=24</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2021, 12:59:35 PM »
WATCH: Ryan Telfer's one-time shot finds the bottom right hand corner of the net during Atlético Ottawa's 2-1 loss to Halifax Wanderers.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/DPT3AkNXI7s?start=238" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/DPT3AkNXI7s?start=238</a>

1]; } ?>