March 28, 2024, 01:09:28 PM

Author Topic: Home of Football Thread  (Read 38450 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Home of Football Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 22, 2019, 04:53:02 AM »
Honestly, I think the gov't should not get involved at this moment. They have other important things to see about. Crime.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 24, 2019, 04:54:11 AM »
The Minister of Sport's silence is judicious. It would be premature to comment publicly at the moment.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2019, 10:38:00 AM »
Enter Gillette: Swim president coos over DJW and Home of Football in debut appearance.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Amateur Swimming Association of Trinidad and Tobago (ASATT) president and former Energy Minister and Petrotrin chairman Lindsay Gillette made his first public splash in local football yesterday, in a remarkably unremarkable press conference at his Woodford Street, Port of Spain office.

By Gillette’s retelling, the media gathering marked ‘a historic moment’ in the local game.

“I call it the rebirth of football, for want of a better term,” said Gillette, who was making his first public appearance as League Commission chairman—a post he has held for barely two months.

Dutifully, sport journalists present, almost to a man, used ‘rebirth’ in their subsequent headlines. In truth, precious little was said on Monday that had not been aired four months ago when UEFA and Concacaf delegates gave their first media briefing on the proposed competition, which is a combination of the Pro League and Super League bodies.

This merger, mind you, has been so long discussed that it was formally raised back in 2015 when the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) ushered in its new constitution.

The problems identified four years ago—and for almost all of the 19 year existence of the Pro League—is at what price should lower league clubs be granted access to the top flight; and what to do with top tier clubs that did not perform well enough on the field to keep their spots.

The Pro League clubs insisted that they invested millions on their product and needed to protect this investment. And the lower tier outfits argued that the criteria for promotion—a large bond and guaranteed contracts for between 15 to 20 players—was too expensive and was not being met by many of the Pro League clubs anyway.

The ‘solution’ agreed to by the parties speaks volumes about the integrity of the enterprise.

The Pro League’s 10 clubs will keep out all interlopers for Year One and allow one TTSL team to join their ranks in Year Two and Three respectively, once the promoted clubs agree to offer guaranteed contracts to 18 players expected to be valued at a minimum of TT$3,000.

So, by the end of the three year project, there would be zero relegations from Tier One of the competition-formerly-known-as-the-Pro-League with two promotions for clubs willing to meet the significant financial burden for entry.

Naturally, there is no word yet on how clubs will be policed to ensure player contracts are honoured, or what penalties negligent teams would incur.

The ‘fix’, arguably, bears a striking resemblance to the problem.

Gillette was not a man to be bogged down by details, though. The result was a 25-minute press conference in which the League Commission chairman repeated the words ‘transparency’ and ‘accountable’ like a mantra—arguably more times than wayward former NBA star Allen Iverson said ‘practice’ in his unforgettable press conference—without, arguably, providing much of either.

Wired868: “So, to be clear, we are having this press conference; but we are not sure about the date for the start of the League, the breakdown of money [from SPORTT and the TTFA] for the League, or the name of the League…”

Gillette (with a broad smile): “[But] aren’t you glad we are having it, to at least say that [the Pro League and Super League clubs] are having an agreement? […] I think within a next month, we will have all that clearly defined and we will do another one.

“What we want to do is bring you all up to date with every step of the way.”

An update on the new League—christened the ‘T-League’ in some quarters—was not Gillette’s only objective on Monday. Perhaps there was a hint in his opening statement.

“What I think [TTFA president] David John-Williams wants us to achieve this morning is to say what good is happening in football,” said a beaming Gillette. “A lot of things have happened that is good. I know there has been a lot of negativity around football over the past year and through the influence of UEFA as well as FIFA and [TTFA general secretary] Camara [David] and John-Williams, we have been able to do good things on the Commission, since this thing started.”

John-Williams, Gillette explained, was unavailable due to a supposed meeting with Sport Minister Shamfa Cudjoe. These days, one seems as likely to see a soucouyant building a sand castle at Maracas beach as to find John-Williams fielding questions from Wired868.

In any case, Gillette was an impressive proxy, enthusiastic, charming and straightforward—all without actually answering questions.

Four months ago, Concacaf delegates promised a June kickoff for the new competition. So, a reporter wanted to know, is there a new start date?

David: “The League is supposed to start in August or September. We want to start in mid-August or September for the latest…”

It was a very Caribbean bit of time-keeping. Like telling a friend that you would meet him promptly at around 5 or 6; or, for the latest, 8pm. But even that was too revealing for Gillette’s taste.

Gillette (interjects): “[…] Hoping to! I want to be very clear about that. We have a lot of work to do between now and then and we don’t want to start on the wrong foot.”

The former Petrotrin chairman is fond of being very clear, especially when he is being vague.

On 28 January 2019, Concacaf official Howard McIntosh revealed that the money injected into the League will come from the following sources: TT$6.3 million from the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago, US$1.5 million (TT$10.1 million) from FIFA Forward Programme funds due to the TTFA and US$175,000 (TT$1.2 million) from Concacaf’s subvention to the local football body.

Wired868: “Can you give us a breakdown of where the money is coming from?”

Gillette: “Right now I’d rather stay away from that because we are trying to ensure that this thing balances properly. We don’t want to go into deficit—I don’t want to go into a deficit—so we are going in a back and forth in terms of the numbers. We just wanted to make sure that everyone is aware of what we’re doing and not keep it hidden.

“We want to be as open as possible. But of course we still have to balance this budget properly and we are very, very close to determining exactly what we are going to spend over the next three years.”

Wired868: “[…] Can you give us a date when we will get the exact figures?”

Gillette: “I don’t want to give that date, yet. I don’t have conclusion with our matters with UEFA, neither the Ministry… I don’t want you to hold me to a date that I can’t keep. I am being very upfront with respect to that.”

What about the delay in starting the League then? Why, Wired868 asked, have they failed so miserably to reach the June target agreed to by all parties back in January?

Gillette: “A lot of [the delay is down to] administration in terms of the way we go forward; and there is so much regulations from FIFA because that is the people who are putting the money forward for the programme. And what I’ve been told, it’s not the old FIFA, it’s the new FIFA. (Laughs) So we have to dot our I’s and cross our T’s, because it opens up total transparency and total accountability; and I am happy for that.”

What does the ‘old FIFA’ have to do with anything? The timeline was very much set under the ‘new FIFA’, just five months ago; and everyone surely knew then that the League would need administrators.

But, to be fair, he did use catchphrases like ‘total transparency’ and ‘total accountability’; so what’s not to like with that response?

“What is the name of the League?” asked another reporter.

“That’s a good ,” said Gillette, with a good natured laugh. “Some people bandied about [the name] ‘T-League’ and it seems to be gaining strength…”

A press conference to announce a League that, after five months, still has not been named? It would be interesting to know if Gillette did similar launches with any of his private businesses.

Not that anyone was allowed to stray from the point at hand. One reporter, Kent Fuentes, asked whether there was concern by the League Commission as to the impact a lack of domestic football might have on the fortunes of the Soca Warriors for the June 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.

Gillette: “Can we, before we answer that, try to stick to what we are discussing. Because it is what we’re trying to achieve today… Our objective is to make football self-sufficient in the next three years.”

The ‘before we answer that’ riposte was apparently a euphemism. Gillette never did answer Fuentes’ query. And his suggestion that a discussion on the Men’s National Senior Team—through the context of the collective feet dragging of the League Commission—was too far off course to be taken seriously, seemed all the more curious when he suddenly conjured up a change of scenery for the press corps.

Gillette: “Have you been to the Home of Football? It’s an incredible project, eh? An incredible project. I think we are the only ones with that sort of facility in this region…”

He proceeded to spend roughly four minutes explaining why the facility, mired in controversy due to a shocking lack of transparency, was the answer to Trinidad and Tobago’s sport tourism problems.

And, just moments after declaring the Soca Warriors to be off-topic, Gillette explained how the Couva facility would be used by ‘probably 250 people’ for the Pan American Junior Water Polo competition in two months time.

Gillette: “Whoever did [the Home of Football] had great foresight; great, great, great foresight. So congratulations to the TTFA; because it is all built, it is finished.

“[…] It’s a great thing that Trinidad has right now. It’s a gem; I call it a gem. The whole facility, the whole area; it is a gem…”

Wired868: “Are you aware that there are aspects of the Home of Football that are before the courts right now?”

Gillette: “I am not…”

There was an uncharacteristically long pause from the head table. Perhaps Gillette reasoned that his supposed ignorance of TTSL president Keith Look Loy’s battle for transparency in the construction of the Home of Football—fully supported by the High Court—was more than even he could pull off.

Gillette: “I have heard about it; but that’s another story. Let’s put it that way.”

And in this case, ‘let’s put it that way’ was probably a roundabout way of suggesting where Wired868 could put that interruption.

While the League Commission has struggled to get its competition up and running, Terminix and La Horquetta Rangers director Richard Ferguson put over $2 million on the table for an invitational pre-season tournament for the Tier One and Two clubs.

The proposed competition offers an appearance fee of TT$2,000 per match for Tier One clubs and half that for teams in Tier Two, as well as prize money ranging between TT$300,000 and TT$75,000 in the top flight and TT$75,000 and TT$25,000 in the second division.

San Juan Jabloteh, Club Sando, Police FC, Defence Force, Morvant Caledonia United and Rangers have already confirmed their participation along with FC Santa Rosa and Cunupia FC who—in a gesture not reciprocated by the League Commission—were invited to the top flight, by virtue of being the TTSL league and knockout champions respectively.

Defending Pro League champions W Connection, owned by John-Williams, turned down the invite while Central FC, North East Stars and Point Fortin Civic allegedly failed to meet the deadline and were not considered.

Gillette said he hopes the Terminix-sponsored competition fills a gap in the dormant local game before the new League kicks off, sometime later this year. The TTFA has verbally sanctioned the competition but is yet to put that in writing.

Gillette: “I will be upfront with you, they still have to write that letter… I hope they agree with the sanctioning letter. Because you know there can be a funny thing between the letter writer and the receiver.” (Laughs)

Wired868: “Are there any terms in there TTFA letter that we should know about?”

Gillette: “Well, I think when it is worked out then you will see it… There is [mention of] appearance fees and there is also prize money for first, second and third place. My concern? That the money gets paid; that’s all. (Laughs) That football is played and money is paid.”

The Pro League has not paid out any prize money to its clubs for the last four years. It is uncertain if Ferguson would appreciate the irony of John-Williams’ concern that bills are paid.

And speaking of unpaid bills, Wired868 understands that TTFA staff have not been paid salaries since March. Had David been paid? And could he confirm the fate of his office staff or offer any words of consolation to them?

“I won’t talk about that,” said David, who promptly swivelled on his heels and walked off.

It was an interesting contrast. A churlish general secretary who would not even pretend to try to answer a pertinent question; and an effervescent commissioner who was better at pretending to respond to questions than actually answering them.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2019, 10:43:05 AM »
 :applause:
No matter how they treat you

"You Is Smart, You Is Kind, You Is Important"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 28, 2019, 02:29:00 PM »
Shades of Jack and Ollie Camps. But I am sure Gillette is no Camps, though.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #95 on: July 09, 2019, 12:32:31 AM »
Home of Football is no excuse for lack of transparency! Shaka, Maylee and Kelvin blast DJW.
By Wired868.com.

“I also fully recognise that a lot of our problems have been a long time in the making. The dictatorial approach that got us in the problem in the first place is not what will get us out of it…”

In the following Letter to the Editor, former Trinidad and Tobago international football stars, Shaka Hislop, Maylee Attin-Johnson and Kelvin Jack blast Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president David John-Williams on his stewardship of local football:

Kelvin Jack, Trinidad and Tobago World Cup 2006 goalkeeper: “There are moments when change must be pursued and that time is now. David John-Williams’ continued ineptitude is having a negative effect that has debilitated football in Trinidad and Tobago. Our young players need the correct environment to improve and to grow. The current TTFA leadership is incapable of providing such.

“David John-Williams has demonstrated beyond doubt that he cannot improve the reputation of TTFA or instil trust among potential sponsors and stakeholders in Trinidad and Tobago. I believe that the establishment of a united administration is of huge importance to lead the TTFA out of the current mess that has made us a laughing stock among our rivals.”

Maylee Attin-Johnson, former Women’s National Senior Team captain: “It is extremely imperative that the person/persons given the responsibility to run football in our country has the ability, aptitude, experience, knowledge and humility to properly execute this responsibility to improve the inefficiencies plaguing our football.

In the past, football in our country has experienced difficult times, but never as woeful and disastrous as [in] the present. This current administration has taken our football beyond the depths of despair. Its members have acted in ways that have undermined and destroyed the bedrock of the sport in our country. If any of these men and women have any pride and patriotism, they will do the honourable thing and step down, and allow for the rebuilding process to begin.

“Sport in itself is a powerful vehicle, and by extension football. It is a sport that had a powerful impact on my life. It is heartbreaking knowing that the next generation of players will be deprived of fulfilling their dreams and the opportunities of representing our national teams because of the incompetence and dictatorship of this administration.”

Shaka Hislop, former Trinidad and Tobago World Cup 2006 goalkeeper and West Ham United captain: “I’d like to add to the chorus of voices of disapproval in the way our football has been progressing of late. There seems to be a dictatorial approach to all things concerning decisions made, a total disregard for voices and opinions of those who were elected and appointed into positions of prominence within our TTFA board and supporting administration.

“I also take the opportunity to say our building a Home of Football is not a long term plan. Building a Home of Football is not an excuse for a lack of transparency. Building a Home of Football does not disguise our performances on the pitch or, quite frankly, off it.

“I also fully recognise that a lot of our problems have been a long time in the making. The dictatorial approach that got us in the problem in the first place is not what will get us out of it.

“So please let’s take this opportunity to again go back to our constitution; how it was redrafted, why it was redrafted and the spirit it was—in the hope of moving our football forward by having a diversity of voices and opinions in making decisions in plotting our path forward.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamaica’s Minister of Sport impressed with Home of Football
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2019, 03:01:11 PM »
Jamaica’s Minister of Sport impressed with Home of Football
TTFA Media

The Honourable Olivia Grange, Jamaica’s Minister of Sport, Culture, Gender and Entertainment paid a visit to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s Home of Football facilities in Couva on Tuesday morning, delivering glowing remarks following her tour of the venue.

Grange said she was thoroughly impressed with what she had seen as she was led on the tour by TTFA President David John-Williams and General Secretary Camara David. She was accompanied by Jamaican High Commissioner to T&T Arthur H.W. Williams

“I’m very impressed with the sports infrastructure that I see here,” Grange told TTFA Media.

“It’s important to invest in sports facilities for your athletes because our athletes are primarily young people and we have to engage them. They are extremely talented and so I am impressed with what is happening here in Trinidad and Tobago with the sport facilities that you have . I specifically requested to visit the Cycling Velodrome and the Aquatic Centre and then I was surprised when I came here to see there is also this fantastic build out of football facilities including a hotel,” she continued.

“I really want to congratulate the Trinidad and Tobago Government, the Sports Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SPORTT) and the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) for this wonderful work that is being done. As brothers and sisters in the region I know that we can share best practices. I have benefited a lot from what I see here today.

“As you know, Ato Boldon is coaching Briana Williams who is our rising star from Jamaica so that collaboration and partnership already exist and we just have to build on it. I’m looking forward to more collaborations and maybe we can send our athletes here for training camps and Trinidad and Tobago can make use of our facilities. We have the largest sports college in the region, the G.C. Foster College of Education & Sport and Trinidad and Tobago can benefit from some collaborations with our training facility or institution in Jamaica. It is an opportunity for us to work together and I just want to congratulate Trinidad and Tobago for what I have seen. I am most impressed,” Grange concluded.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »
Aye, Babsy ...

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2019, 12:38:36 AM »
Home of Football to be opened next month.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

THE CONTROVERSIAL Home of Football, next to the Ato Boldon Stadium, National Aquatic Centre and National Cycling Velodrome in Balmain, Couva is expected to be opened next month, according to David John-Williams, president of the TT Football Association (TTFA).

John-Williams was speaking during the TV6 Morning Edition yesterday.

The Home of Football project comprises of training fields, a sports and entertainment centre, and a 72-room hotel at Balmain.

“We expect to open it on the first week of next month for business,” John-Williams said.

The TTFA boss stressed that this was not a strategy ahead of the TTFA elections, which is due by the end of November.

“We were planning to open it in April of this year. We got a garnishee from the Futsal Association freezing our bank accounts. FIFA withheld our funding (but) people say this is timed for our opening.

“We have an income generation process with an entertainment centre, which is separate from the hotel,” John-Williams added. “We can develop a national academy. We have six training fields, three already completed. We have a facility where all our kids can train regularly. We don’t have to worry about where we’re going to eat and where we’re going to sleep.”

John-Williams also defended his tenure as TTFA president, including the work done by men’s team coach Dennis Lawrence.

“I have watched the team play against Martinique (on Monday) and I can say that the team is well-prepared,” said the TTFA boss. “We live in a society of instant gratification.”

He admitted that former coach Stephen Hart was not fired, but there was a mutual parting of ways.

Video - TTFA President speaks on Morning Edition

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA Home of Football gets T&TEC connection
« Reply #99 on: November 07, 2019, 01:28:22 PM »
TTFA Home of Football gets T&TEC connection
TTFA Media

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s Home of Football received connection from the Trinidad and Tobago Electricity Commission on November 5th 2019.

TTFA President, David John Williams made the announcement of this historic event, stating, “It is the first time in the 111 year existence of the Association that the TTFA has two properties connected to the National Electrical Power Grid.”

Mr John Williams expressed thanks to all who contributed and provided the support have this achievement made possible.

He thanked all the persons at T&TEC, names to numerous to mention, in particular the personnel at SporTT for their patience and understanding, despite the inconvenience of having to shut down their facilities to make the connection possible.

The TTFA President thanked all members of the TTFA for their belief, support, trust and demand for accountability and transparency in sharing the vision for the significant revenue generating benefits to be derived from the TTFA for the first time in its history, having its Home of Football.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #100 on: November 11, 2019, 01:38:01 AM »
John-Williams wants fresh TTFA mandate.
By Keith Clement (Guardian).

Less than 24 hours af­ter he of­fi­cial­ly opened the Home of Foot­ball at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Bal­main, Cou­va, on Sat­ur­day, em­bat­tled David John-Williams an­nounced on Sun­day, his can­di­da­cy for re-elec­tion as T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (TTFA) pres­i­dent at the an­nu­al gen­er­al meet­ing (AGM) on No­vem­ber 24.

He fell short of de­clar­ing his slate but said all his doc­u­men­ta­tion had been lodged with the TTFA Elec­toral Com­mit­tee well with­in the dead­line which was set back on Oc­to­ber 14.

John-Williams’ an­nounce­ment comes ex­act­ly a week af­ter his chal­lengers, the Unit­ed TTFA which is led by board mem­ber and Sec­ondary Schools Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent William Wal­lace, launched their slate.

John-Williams will be chal­lenged by Wal­lace and Richard Fer­gu­son, own­er of Ter­minix La Hor­quet­ta Rangers and man­ag­ing di­rec­tor of Ter­minix Lim­it­ed, for lead­er­ship of the 111-year-old or­gan­i­sa­tion.

The Unit­ed TTFA will al­so in­clude Sam Phillip, a Su­per League board mem­ber, Cen­tral Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion sec­re­tary Clynt Tay­lor and Women’s Foot­ball League pres­i­dent Su­san Joseph-War­rick. Fer­gu­son’s slate has put up Pro League club ex­ec­u­tive Ray­mond Thom and Cen­tral Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (CFA) pres­i­dent Shymdeo Go­sine. Ed­di­son Dean, who was ini­tial­ly on Fer­gu­son’s slate for the first vice-pres­i­dent po­si­tion, with­drew to sup­port the Unit­ed TTFA’s push for pow­er.

John-Williams, who was elect­ed to the po­si­tion back in 2015, told Guardian Me­dia Sports yes­ter­day that there’s no suc­cess with­out change and no change with­out con­flict, some­thing he said he kept re­mind­ing him­self about dur­ing his first term as TTFA pres­i­dent.

Dur­ing Sat­ur­day’s tour of the Home of Foot­ball fa­cil­i­ties, John-Williams, who was ac­com­pa­nied by gen­er­al sec­re­tary Ca­ma­ra David and mem­bers of staff, said, “Not every­one has agreed with me or my poli­cies. Some per­sons have un­der­mined, at­tempt­ed to de­stroy, ma­lign, at­tack and dam­age me, the TTFA and by ex­ten­sion T&T foot­ball. “Notwith­stand­ing this, but by the grace of the Almighty, and the tru­ly faith­ful, I am still stand­ing.

“Com­ing in­to the TTFA in 2015 brought chal­lenges, too many to men­tion on this oc­ca­sion, but I’ve em­braced them and found in­no­v­a­tive ways to rise above them. It was im­per­a­tive to hit the re­set but­ton. Guid­ed by the man­date giv­en by the mem­ber­ship, I’ve worked tire­less­ly to re­store the good name of the TTFA.”

John-Williams’ four-year term has been marred with con­tro­ver­sy aligned to sev­er­al le­gal bat­tles, in­clud­ing the courts or­der­ing the freez­ing of the TTFA bank ac­count. He has al­so been crit­i­cised for the poor per­for­mances of na­tion­al teams, a lack of trans­paren­cy dur­ing the build­ing of the Home of Foot­ball and has even been la­belled a dic­ta­tor.

How­ev­er, he said he was still able to get things his team pri­ori­tised dur­ing the pe­ri­od.

“Quick fix­es are not al­ways pos­si­ble or a re­al­is­tic ex­pec­ta­tion. While some may dis­agree with the or­der of pri­or­i­ties ad­dressed by the cur­rent ad­min­is­tra­tion, and some of the de­ci­sions made, we placed fo­cus on many achieve­ments since as­sum­ing of­fice in 2015.”

Among the suc­cess­es over the last four years, he list­ed the fol­low­ing:

1. Con­struc­tion of qual­i­ty fa­cil­i­ties that will cre­ate the op­por­tu­ni­ty to pro­vide rev­enue streams to bring fi­nan­cial sta­bil­i­ty to the TTFA, oth­er NSOs and the coun­try at large through the op­por­tu­ni­ty to fur­ther de­vel­op the sports tourism in­dus­try.

2. Restor­ing FI­FA fund­ing which was sus­pend­ed dur­ing the term of the last ad­min­is­tra­tion

3. Pro­duc­ing au­dit­ed fi­nan­cial state­ments for every year from 2015 on­wards

4. Pay­ing down debts from pre­vi­ous ad­min­is­tra­tions—To date over $12 mil­lion paid

5. In­creas­ing rev­enue sig­nif­i­cant­ly by our se­nior team play­ing in­ter­na­tion­al friend­ly match­es on the FI­FA dates against high-lev­el op­po­nents

6. Bring­ing ex­pen­di­ture in line with rev­enues and re­duc­ing the de­pen­den­cy on the trea­sury for fund­ing of the sport.

7. Em­brac­ing tech­nol­o­gy and IT ex­per­tise to fur­ther en­hance and im­prove as­pects of our on-field pro­grammes, ad­min­is­tra­tion and mar­ket­ing

8. Es­tab­lish­ing a com­pre­hen­sive youth de­vel­op­ment pro­gramme on the ba­sis of tried and test­ed mod­els that were ably sup­port­ed by the NL­CB

9. Strength­en­ing and deep­en­ing in­ter­nal and ex­ter­nal gov­er­nance with ac­count­abil­i­ty, that has re­paired dam­aged re­la­tion­ships with re­gion­al and in­ter­na­tion­al bod­ies such as CFU, CON­CA­CAF & FI­FA.

Busi­ness­man John-Williams, the for­mer own­er of Pro League club W Con­nec­tion added, “The work of this ad­min­is­tra­tion sim­ply can­not be mea­sured sole­ly by wins or loss­es on the field, but by a greater ap­pre­ci­a­tion for all that has been achieved through­out my tenure. Over the next two weeks, many ques­tions will be an­swered and a lot will be re­vealed which will con­tin­ue to open the eyes of the mem­bers of the TTFA.

“It is be­cause of this I must say, it is time to fin­ish what we start­ed. There is too much that is fun­da­men­tal­ly im­por­tant right now to al­low the ad­min­is­tra­tion of T&T Foot­ball to al­ter the planned strate­gic ini­tia­tives at this time. We’re at the cusp of the break­through that will see our game soar again. As such, af­ter much prayer and con­sul­ta­tion with many stake­hold­ers, I have de­cid­ed to seek re-elec­tion as pres­i­dent of the Trinidad & To­ba­go Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion.”

Asked about the cost to out the 72-room ho­tel, a sports and en­ter­tain­ment cen­tre and train­ing fields which is on the same com­pound with the Na­tion­al Aquat­ic Cen­tre and Na­tion­al Cy­cling Velo­drome in Bal­main, he re­spond­ed, “It cost $1.5 mil­lion to out­fit and now foot­ball has a home with an as­set of an es­ti­mat­ed $100 mil­lion which all of T&T must be proud of and the TTFA’s aim is to be first with­in the gov­ern­ment’s sports tourism pro­gramme. On Mon­day (No­vem­ber 18, 2019), the TTFA is ful­ly open for busi­ness which will help in re­duc­ing our debt which is over $34 mil­lion.”

John-Williams said the en­ter­tain­ment cen­tre, which is sep­a­rate from the ho­tel as­pect of the busi­ness plan, would be a ma­jor in­come gen­er­a­tor.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 02:45:38 AM by Flex »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 11, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
Steups
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 11, 2019, 05:39:30 PM »
Steups
why stewps? the guy have done some good give him that, he wasn’t all worthless like Ollie camps who did absolutely nothing for football, but I still maintain that he’s no good for football and he should be voted out with immediate effect.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 12, 2019, 07:33:07 AM »
Let's start here:

8. Es­tab­lish­ing a com­pre­hen­sive youth de­vel­op­ment pro­gramme on the ba­sis of tried and test­ed mod­els that were ably sup­port­ed by the NL­CB

This "success" is nonsense. Just words. Do the homework.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2019, 07:35:20 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA boss, PM for Home of Football opening
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2019, 06:31:20 AM »
FIFA boss, PM for Home of Football opening
By Yohance Simonette (T&T Newsday)

FIFA president Gianni Infantino will attend the official opening ceremony of the Home of Football in Balmain, Couva on November 18.

The announcement was made this evening via a press release issued by the TT Football Association.

Infantino, along with Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley, will open the facility. This will be his second visit to TT as he also turned the sod at the commemoration ceremony in 2017.

He will be accompanied by Concacaf president Victor Montagliani, along with other FIFA and Concacaf officials.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The home of football opening ceremony
« Reply #106 on: November 18, 2019, 11:29:12 AM »
De PM forgets that Gianni is Swiss.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 18, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »
Well played, Mr. Prime Minister. You struck the right notes in your delivery. Endorsed DJW's efforts in making the project happen, but subtly sending the message that the taxpayers have a firm interest in the outcome and that whosoever runs the show must act accordingly. 

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 18, 2019, 12:07:33 PM »
Really good questions by James Saunders. He's not asking easy questions.

It's stunning how many individuals in football are afraid to make clear unequivocal statements in public and hide behind "staying away from the politics" when in fact they are in inherently political positions that are vested with a firm public interest.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 18, 2019, 12:20:38 PM »
Great line by Infantino: "I knew that in Trinidad and Tobago you could run fast, but I didn't know that you could build fast."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #110 on: November 19, 2019, 02:40:08 AM »
PM wants no more excuses from TTFA .
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Prime Min­is­ter Dr Kei­th Row­ley says the foot­ball fra­ter­ni­ty should have no more ex­cus­es for its poor state, both on and off the field, in the fu­ture now.

His com­ment came as he wit­nessed the open­ing of the Home of Foot­ball at Bal­main, Cou­va, by Trinidad and To­ba­go Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion pres­i­dent David John-Williams.

The mil­lion-dol­lar fa­cil­i­ty was con­struct­ed on land do­nat­ed to the TTFA by the Gov­ern­ment and fund­ing came via FI­FA grant.

De­liv­er­ing the fea­ture ad­dress in front a large crowd, Row­ley, sig­nalling that the time had come for the sport to be­come self-suf­fi­cient, said, “In our schools, we have boys and girls who are re­ly­ing on the man­age­ment of this sport and not on the Gov­ern­ment.

“The Gov­ern­ment has played its part and will con­tin­ue to play its part, but what is miss­ing is the man­age­ment we used to have when peo­ple served for ser­vice sake and pro­duced from it the tal­ent that was wait­ing for that help­ing hand.”

The Prime Min­is­ter, who, along with FI­FA pres­i­dent Gi­an­ni In­fan­ti­no and CON­CA­CAF pres­i­dent Vic­tor Mon­tagliani, was in­vit­ed to of­fi­cial­ly open the fa­cil­i­ty, added, “To­day ladies and gen­tle­men, if we are fa­mil­iar with fail­ure, it is in the area of the man­age­ment of our sport. We fea­tured promi­nent­ly in many sports at the high­est in­ter­na­tion­al lev­els, led by vol­un­teers with far less re­sources than we have now.

“My friend Hase­ly Craw­ford is here, he won an Olympic Gold medal and we had no sta­di­um and no track, but he won it. To­day, we have these fa­cil­i­ties and we now have ab­solute­ly no ex­cuse if we be­have our­selves and ac­cept from the tax­pay­ers the hun­dreds of mil­lions of dol­lars and the land we have made avail­able to those of you who man­age foot­ball.”

He added, “So hav­ing part­nered with you, hav­ing part­nered with foot­ball to make this pub­lic as­set land avail­able to you, and mon­ey avail­able to those in­volved in the man­age­ment of the game, the tax­pay­ers can ex­pect no less but a dra­mat­ic im­prove­ment, and a full use of the fa­cil­i­ty in the vi­sion in which it was pre­sent­ed and the way it was de­signed.”

The fa­cil­i­ty is ex­pect­ed to be a rev­enue-gen­er­at­ing as­set for the TTFA that will ease the sport’s de­pen­den­cy on gov­ern­ment and cor­po­rate T&T fund­ing.

FI­FA boss In­fan­ti­no, who al­so had a hand in con­vinc­ing Row­ley to hand over the land for the con­struc­tion of the fa­cil­i­ty a few years ago, called on Gov­ern­ment to name the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um the new Ato Boldon Na­tion­al Sta­di­um of T&T. Look­ing at Row­ley, he al­so jok­ing­ly said that if the TTFA is giv­en the sta­di­um to run, the Gov­ern­ment can still run the Com­mon­wealth Games in 2021.

He thanked Row­ley, Mon­tagliani, John-Williams and all those who con­tributed to the Home of Foot­ball be­com­ing a re­al­i­ty, not­ing that when he was cam­paign­ing to be­come FI­FA pres­i­dent, he came to T&T not ex­pect­ing to find some­one who had the heart beat­ing for foot­ball in T&T.

“I was not be­liev­ing to find some­one like this in T&T, I have to say the truth be­cause T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion was more or less in the same state as FI­FA. David was say­ing in sham­bles, and I said sham­bles was maybe a com­pli­ment.”

Al­so ad­dress­ing the gath­er­ing, John-Williams said when they as­sumed of­fice it con­firmed to them that the or­gan­i­sa­tion re­quired re­struc­tur­ing and need­ed to be put on a sound fi­nan­cial path. He said while some may ex­pect him to beat his chest for the con­struc­tion of the fa­cil­i­ty he would do no such thing, as it was just one spoke in the strate­gic wheel that was quick­ly ac­cel­er­at­ing to put T&T foot­ball on a sus­tain­able path.

Af­ter­wards, Row­ley, In­fan­ti­no, Mon­tagliani and a large crowd of dig­ni­taries that in­clud­ed for­mer French in­ter­na­tion­al Youri Djorka­eff were tak­en on a tour of the fa­cil­i­ty.

But while scores turned up for the event, mem­bers of the Unit­ed TTFA slate head­ed by William Wal­lace, who will be tak­ing on John-Williams and his slate for the TTFA helm this Sun­day, were ab­sent. How­ev­er, Richard Fer­gu­son, the oth­er pres­i­den­tial can­di­date, was on hand.

How­ev­er, sev­er­al oth­er for­mer play­ers, coach­es and ad­min­is­tra­tive mem­bers were on hand, among them Os­mond Down­er, Ron La For­rest, Lester Os­una, Bertille St Clair and Brent San­cho.

RELATED NEWS

‘FIFA was a mafia’
By Narissa Fraser (Newsday).

PM praises TTFA boss for Home of Football but says…

THE PRIME Minister has said it took a lot of persistence from TTFA (TT Football Association) president David John-Williams for him to agree to assist with the Home of Football project.

At the facility’s official opening ceremony yesterday afternoon in Balmain, Couva, Dr Keith Rowley said he considered FIFA "a mafia,” so initially he dismissed John-Williams’ proposals.

“David John-Williams came to me in my capacity as Prime Minister and I said, ‘David, I don’t want to see you. I don’t want to hear.’

“As a football fan – if not fanatic – I watched, from the Parliament, FIFA becoming an international disgrace. In speaking as a parliamentarian in TT, to FIFA and to those who ran it – many of who were familiar to us – I had reason to put on Hansard and elsewhere, on political platforms, that FIFA was a mafia. And having said that, I also included Concacaf.” He said a colleague had to apologise for his “mafia” comments while in Switzerland, but he stood by them. “Well, if it was a mafia, you couldn’t call it a dog. FIFA was a mafia.”

But he said John-Williams was persistent, so he began considering the idea. “Eventually, to save myself from David, I allowed myself to see to it that he came (to see me). And he convinced me that he had an idea, a good idea, and this idea could work and it could improve our situation.”

He described the state of football at that time as a disaster. Rowley said he needed assurance from the TTFA boss that FIFA could be changed, and was then told FIFA president Gianni Infantino was the candidate TTFA would be supporting in the elections of February 26, 2016.

John-Williams told him, “ I want to bring to you the idea that there's somebody who’s running for FIFA’S leadership, and if that person wins, we would be able to change football and change FIFA.”

The other candidates were Prince Ali bin al-Hussein, Musa Bility, Jerome Champagne, Michel Platini, Sheikh Salman bin Ebrahim al-Khalifa and Tokyo Sexwale.

“I said, ‘Who is that?’ Because as far as I was concerned, all of them was mafioso. And worse – an Italian.

“He, too, had this idea about what could happen here, and David’s idea apparently was sold to him. He bought the idea and he asked me whether in fact I would help.”

The PM said his next question was: “How can the government assist?” and the discussion about state land began.

He said he told Infantino to ensure he ran FIFA with transparency and integrity moving forward.

“I was given a FIFA flag dated April 10, 2017. I took that flag back to my office at home and I put it on a bookshelf over my head. It was my intention to throw it in the dustbin sometime soon after, but I can tell you, last night I looked at the flag, and it is still there and I was pleased to know today, I could go back at home and look at that flag for keeps.”

He said the Government has always been and will continue to be a major supporter of football locally.

TTFA’s Home of Football is Officially Opened.
TTFA Media.

FIFA President Gianni Infantino, alongside Concacaf President and FIFA Vice-President Victor Montagliani, initiated today a tour of Caribbean and Central American countries with a first stop in Trinidad and Tobago. The highlight of the visit was the inauguration of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s (TTFA) Home of Football.

The new Home of Football, which was funded through FIFA’s Forward Programme, features three full-size natural grass pitches and provides a modern infrastructure for the development of football on the islands. At the inauguration ceremony, President Infantino took to the stage alongside Prime Minister Keith Rowley, Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs Shamfa Cudjoe, and TTFA President David John-Williams.
 “I am honoured and proud to be here today in Trinidad and Tobago and witness the opening of the brand new Home of Football, which is the realisation of a project initiated under the TTFA leadership and jointly achieved with FIFA,” Infantino said.

“During my last visit in the country two and a half years ago all this did not exist, and I can only be thankful to the TTFA and to the government of Trinidad and Tobago for their work and support in making it possible. This state of the art Home of Football is a model for the region and a legacy for TTFA and for the youth in the country that is here to stay.”

The visit also included discussions with TTFA President David John-Williams and his team about the state of football on the islands and the strategic focus of the federation. President Infantino praised the TTFA leadership for making good use of FIFA’s Forward Programme to support development efforts locally. Besides the Home of Football, the TTFA has been investing in a new professional league and has benefited from dedicated travel funding for national teams, a cost which is particularly heavy for some islands of the Caribbean, FIFA.com stated.

De­liv­er­ing the fea­ture ad­dress in front a large crowd, Row­ley, sig­nalling that the time had come for the sport to be­come self-suf­fi­cient, said, “In our schools, we have boys and girls who are re­ly­ing on the man­age­ment of this sport and not on the Gov­ern­ment.

“The Gov­ern­ment has played its part and will con­tin­ue to play its part, but what is miss­ing is the man­age­ment we used to have when peo­ple served for ser­vice sake and pro­duced from it the tal­ent that was wait­ing for that help­ing hand.”

The Prime Min­is­ter, who, along with FI­FA pres­i­dent Gi­an­ni In­fan­ti­no and CON­CA­CAF pres­i­dent Vic­tor Mon­tagliani, was in­vit­ed to of­fi­cial­ly open the fa­cil­i­ty, added, “To­day ladies and gen­tle­men, if we are fa­mil­iar with fail­ure, it is in the area of the man­age­ment of our sport. We fea­tured promi­nent­ly in many sports at the high­est in­ter­na­tion­al lev­els, led by vol­un­teers with far less re­sources than we have now.

“My friend Hase­ly Craw­ford is here, he won an Olympic Gold medal and we had no sta­di­um and no track, but he won it. To­day, we have these fa­cil­i­ties and we now have ab­solute­ly no ex­cuse if we be­have our­selves and ac­cept from the tax­pay­ers the hun­dreds of mil­lions of dol­lars and the land we have made avail­able to those of you who man­age foot­ball.”

He added, “So hav­ing part­nered with you, hav­ing part­nered with foot­ball to make this pub­lic as­set land avail­able to you, and mon­ey avail­able to those in­volved in the man­age­ment of the game, the tax­pay­ers can ex­pect no less but a dra­mat­ic im­prove­ment, and a full use of the fa­cil­i­ty in the vi­sion in which it was pre­sent­ed and the way it was de­signed.”

The fa­cil­i­ty is ex­pect­ed to be a rev­enue-gen­er­at­ing as­set for the TTFA that will ease the sport’s de­pen­den­cy on gov­ern­ment and cor­po­rate T&T fund­ing.

FI­FA boss In­fan­ti­no, who al­so had a hand in con­vinc­ing Row­ley to hand over the land for the con­struc­tion of the fa­cil­i­ty a few years ago, called on Gov­ern­ment to name the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um the new Ato Boldon Na­tion­al Sta­di­um of T&T. Look­ing at Row­ley, he al­so jok­ing­ly said that if the TTFA is giv­en the sta­di­um to run, the Gov­ern­ment can still run the Com­mon­wealth Games in 2021.

He thanked Row­ley, Mon­tagliani, John-Williams and all those who con­tributed to the Home of Foot­ball be­com­ing a re­al­i­ty, not­ing that when he was cam­paign­ing to be­come FI­FA pres­i­dent, he came to T&T not ex­pect­ing to find some­one who had the heart beat­ing for foot­ball in T&T.

“I was not be­liev­ing to find some­one like this in T&T, I have to say the truth be­cause T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion was more or less in the same state as FI­FA. David was say­ing in sham­bles, and I said sham­bles was maybe a com­pli­ment.”

Al­so ad­dress­ing the gath­er­ing, John-Williams said when they as­sumed of­fice it con­firmed to them that the or­gan­i­sa­tion re­quired re­struc­tur­ing and need­ed to be put on a sound fi­nan­cial path. He said while some may ex­pect him to beat his chest for the con­struc­tion of the fa­cil­i­ty he would do no such thing, as it was just one spoke in the strate­gic wheel that was quick­ly ac­cel­er­at­ing to put T&T foot­ball on a sus­tain­able path.

Af­ter­wards, Row­ley, In­fan­ti­no, Mon­tagliani and a large crowd of dig­ni­taries that in­clud­ed for­mer French in­ter­na­tion­al Youri Djorka­eff were tak­en on a tour of the fa­cil­i­ty.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 01:32:57 AM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 19, 2019, 01:19:34 PM »
Another bill Home of Football will be paying ? We so lucky to have it as a revenue generator .

Hart gets TT$5 million for wrongful dismissal, DJW fails to defend sacking T&T coach
Lasana Liburd Tuesday 19 November 2019 Global Football, Local Football, Volley

https://wired868.com/2019/11/19/hart-gets-tt5-million-for-wrongful-dismissal-djw-fails-to-defend-sacking-tt-coach/?fbclid=IwAR1trI3qmoLKmtb1VlwA927TBjPNtFAepGBpJ0IEp4x8p5jYK6cJAWpL9Ns

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 19, 2019, 01:57:18 PM »
I posted last month that DL will not leave on his own as he wont be paid out. However, if he is fired for the poor results, he can still mount an argument to leave with something in his pocket. DL has tainted his resume with the string of poor performances. I doubt that he will be given a head coach position again by any club or national team.. unless Anguilla or a team of that elk comes calling.

My guess is that if Wallace wins the election, Hart will be back. Time is limited. So we need someone who knows the team, the culture and the processes, and can get the team prepared for the Gold cup qualifier. The learning curve will be too high for someone who does not possess that knowledge. I have a premonition that we will be facing Guatemala or Guyana for that Gold cup spot. Hart got it right and figured out Guatemala for us. I got faith that he can do it all over again.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 02:00:12 PM by gawd on pitch »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 19, 2019, 02:11:38 PM »
I posted last month that DL will not leave on his own as he wont be paid out. However, if he is fired for the poor results, he can still mount an argument to leave with something in his pocket. DL has tainted his resume with the string of poor performances. I doubt that he will be given a head coach position again by any club or national team.. unless Anguilla or a team of that elk comes calling.

My guess is that if Wallace wins the election, Hart will be back. Time is limited. So we need someone who knows the team, the culture and the processes, and can get the team prepared for the Gold cup qualifier. The learning curve will be too high for someone who does not possess that knowledge. I have a premonition that we will be facing Guatemala or Guyana for that Gold cup spot. Hart got it right and figured out Guatemala for us. I got faith that he can do it all over again.
i don’t think hart will come back. he has a good gig in canada he’s getting paid on time he has all the tools he needs to accomplish his goals, come back for what, to deal with the carenage crew and the cash strapped federation and all their misgivings? I seriously doubt it.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 19, 2019, 02:23:35 PM »

I thought we can't qualify for Gold Cup again? Aren't we out of the Gold Cup contention with that Honduras loss?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 19, 2019, 02:26:40 PM »

i don’t think hart will come back. he has a good gig in canada he’s getting paid on time he has all the tools he needs to accomplish his goals, come back for what, to deal with the carenage crew and the cash strapped federation and all their misgivings? I seriously doubt it.

Amen. Think about it gop. Ah man building a team, gives an assistant coach an opportunity to grow professionally, bringing players from T&T to Canada, providing a player with an opportunity to transition into coaching, working on a project that provides a different stimulation than NT football, all ah dis in a place where he is respected and has roots ... with no daily bacchanal. What's the upside for him to make an about turn?

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 19, 2019, 02:31:23 PM »

Good point. The question is how much he getting paid by Halifax? I dont think it's more than what the TTFA pays the head coach.

@Soccerman, we have one glimmer of hope left. June 2020 will be a home and away leg. It will be either against the runner ups in league B or the winners of league C.. as I said, I feel we catching one of our big rivals. Guatemala or Guyana.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 19, 2019, 02:36:36 PM »

Amen. Think about it gop. Ah man building a team, gives an assistant coach an opportunity to grow professionally, bringing players from T&T to Canada, providing a player with an opportunity to transition into coaching, working on a project that provides a different stimulation than NT football, all ah dis in a place where he is respected and has roots ... with no daily bacchanal. What's the upside for him to make an about turn?

Wishful thinking, yes. . But not totally impossible. If the money right, and DJW and his cohorts are out, then it wouldnt hurt to ask him.

Do you have anyone else in mind asylum? Considering we on we back heels, we might as well try.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 19, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »

Good point. The question is how much he getting paid by Halifax? I dont think it's more than what the TTFA pays the head coach.

@Soccerman, we have one glimmer of hope left. June 2020 will be a home and away leg. It will be either against the runner ups in league B or the winners of league C.. as I said, I feel we catching one of our big rivals. Guatemala or Guyana.
So you're telling me there's a chance??? I was really distraught after the loss and thought that was it, now I feel a little better. Here's to prosperity going forward :beermug:

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 19, 2019, 03:14:12 PM »

If I read correctly the lawsuit says he was paid only USD$25,000 a year, with performance pay, as NT manager. Pretty sure Halifax can beat that.

1]; } ?>