March 28, 2024, 05:21:55 PM

Author Topic: Home of Football Thread  (Read 38460 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The Home of Football is Useless
« Reply #150 on: February 09, 2020, 02:24:07 PM »
Last year or year before, Flamengo do Rio academy caught fire and burned down. A number of the young players died. This is a big international club from Brazil. Let us for once do the right thing when it comes to our children.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Home of Football Thread
« Reply #151 on: March 06, 2020, 07:54:53 PM »
Min­is­ter ready to meet with TTFA.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Asked about the pub­lic an­nounce­ment that the T&T Foot­ball As­so­ci­a­tion (TTFA) un­der cur­rent pres­i­dent William Wal­lace will be seek­ing a meet­ing with her as Min­is­ter of Sports, Cud­joe said: “Foot­ball has re­quest­ed a meet­ing and we at MSYA and SPoRTT have no prob­lem meet­ing with foot­ball.

"In terms of fund­ing for foot­ball, like any oth­er NGB, qual­i­fi­ca­tion for re­gion­al and in­ter­na­tion­al events or games at the high­est lev­el, we sup­port. Foot­ball has a re­spon­si­bil­i­ty to run its busi­ness prop­er­ly. I know that much of the debt and much of the sit­u­a­tion would have been in­her­it­ed from, not just the last ad­min­is­tra­tion but the pre­vi­ous ad­min­is­tra­tion. We are talk­ing about years and years of trou­ble in foot­ball. Foot­ball has to or­gan­ise it­self and es­pe­cial­ly reach out to FI­FA al­so in the man­age­ment of its busi­ness."

How­ev­er, Cud­joe ex­pressed her dis­plea­sure over the TTFA clos­ing of the "Home of Foot­ball" in Bal­main, Cou­va, fol­low­ing its in­au­gu­ra­tion in De­cem­ber.

"An­oth­er sit­u­a­tion that foot­ball has on its hands right now is the ‘Home of Foot­ball’ that was cre­at­ed to be an in­come gen­er­a­tor," she said.

"Is the cur­rent ex­ec­u­tive of foot­ball look­ing at open­ing the ‘Home of Foot­ball’ so that all the sport­ing en­ti­ties that would have made ap­pli­ca­tions and reser­va­tions and arrange­ments to utilise the ‘Home of Foot­ball’ and put mon­ey in the hands of TTFA? What is the TTFA do­ing as it re­lates to that?

"I think these are the kind of ques­tions that they need to look in­to. I think it is quite un­for­tu­nate that here we have made this ma­jor in­vest­ment as Gov­ern­ment to pro­vide the land, FI­FA would have made the in­vest­ment to build the fa­cil­i­ty and now there seems to be some type of dis­crep­an­cy as it re­lates to open­ing and util­is­ing the fa­cil­i­ty and bring­ing in some in­come in or­der to foot their bills as a foot­ball as­so­ci­a­tion."

She added, "As I say all of the time, all these as­so­ci­a­tions and NG­Bs are in­de­pen­dent, they are au­tonomous, Gov­ern­ment can on­ly fa­cil­i­tate to­wards the de­vel­op­ment of our ath­letes, to­wards our sport­ing dis­ci­plines but they do have the re­spon­si­bil­i­ty to run their busi­ness pro­fes­sion­al­ly and to do so well and not just call on Gov­ern­ment when fund­ing is need­ed or when they find them­selves in a bind.

"But let us not jump the gun, let us hear what they bring. But of course, I will ask what is hap­pen­ing with the open­ing and util­is­ing of the ‘Home of Foot­ball.”

https://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/minister-cudjoe-cycling-needs-to-check-itself-6.2.1070661.0701bd4076
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 08:42:52 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 07, 2020, 09:36:47 AM »
given the issues expressed re: safety certification I find the minister's tone to concerning at best
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 07, 2020, 12:10:21 PM »
given the issues expressed re: safety certification I find the minister's tone to concerning at best

I am confused by what she said. If the home was fully certified,
I doubt TTFA would try to pull a fast one for political expediency. So she should tell us if she feels it ready for occupation. I mean passing all the required certifications.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #154 on: March 30, 2020, 11:19:48 AM »
‘Fifa has been compromised [in Home of Football scandal]!’ Spicy letter that predates Fifa take-over.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“A cursory glance of the paper trail suggests that there was a lack of proper oversight [on the Home of Football],” stated Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) general secretary Ramesh Ramdhan, in a letter to Fifa chief member association, Veron Mosengo-Omba on 22 January 2020.

“The president of the TTFA [David John-Williams] appears to have been the project manager, the contractor as well as the purchaser…”

The aforementioned excerpt forms part of an exchange between Ramdhan and Mosengo-Omba. It was issued in response to a letter from the Fifa official, while Fifa stalled on paying its annual subvention of US$1.2 million (TT$8 million) to the TTFA for operations.

It also predated the world governing body’s decision to send a joint fact-finding mission of Concacaf and Fifa officials to the island in February.

On Tuesday, Fifa, supposedly on the advice of the team that visited Trinidad last month, announced it would send a normalisation committee to the twin island republic and effectively nullified last November’s election and booted the Board—including president William Wallace—out of office.

Mosengo-Omba, a DR Congo national, personally informed controversial TTFA finance manager Tyril Patrick that Fifa had just put him in charge of local football.

“As was mentioned in the decision [by the Fifa Council], you will assume immediate interim responsibility, in collaboration with Fifa,” he told Patrick, “for all TTFA matters until the normalisation committee members are appointed.

“Thank you in advance for your cooperation in this respect and looking forward to meeting you soon.”

Two months before Fifa sent the TTFA into meltdown, Mosengo-Omba, who had direct oversight of the Home of Football project—partly funded by Fifa—wrote Ramdhan to enquire about the William Wallace-led administration’s plans to deal with its significant debts.

“In light of the significant amount of outstanding debts the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has had in the past with third party suppliers,” Mosengo-Omba told Ramdhan, on 13 January, “the FIFA administration would like to follow up on the current status of those debts. It is important to highlight that assets financed by the FIFA Forward Programme cannot be, under any circumstances, mortgaged.

“The FIFA Member Associations Division is fully committed and available to support your member association in every necessary aspect in order to achieve positive outcome.”

In the build-up to last November’s local football election, Mosengo-Omba allegedly told three board members—according to one member of that trio, who spoke on condition of anonymity—that Fifa would not support the TTFA if then president David John-Williams was voted out of office.

Another board member and technical committee chairman Keith Look Loy, who was an influential figure in Wallace’s successful campaign, also complained that the Congolese repeatedly ignored pleas to investigate alleged financial mismanagement of the project.

And, in Ramdhan’s response to the Fifa official, he made his feelings clear that the world governing body—and Mosengo-Omba in particular—lacked the moral authority to lecture the TTFA on the matter of debts or the fate of the Home of Football.

“The HOF project which is at the centre of this conversation was intended to bring an end to our financial woes, which had plagued the TTFA for over a decade,” stated Ramdhan. “It is now ironic that, in 2020, it has become the source of our financial distress.

“[…] I knew you were a central figure during the construction phase of this project. I can also appreciate that the responsibility entrusted upon you in facilitating the process may have fallen outside the core area of competency required for such a project.

“It is now incumbent upon Fifa, given this experience, to review the processes employed in their Forward Project programs in order to avoid reoccurrence of this nature which can compromise Fifa. I am of the view that Fifa has indeed been compromised in this scenario.”

Having identified the high-ranking Fifa official as ‘a central figure’ operating ‘outside [his] core area of competency’ in what could prove to be a financial scandal, Ramdhan went further by suggesting that the TTFA intended to not only investigate the Home of Football but also make their findings public.

“Based on what we have discovered during the recent visit of the [Fifa] development manager (DM) and the assistant development manager (ADM) in the presence of the TTFA financial manager,” stated Ramdhan, “the manner in which the project was being managed should have raised red flags.

“Given the revelations, it is curious and even suspicious that the project continued uninterrupted. This has attracted speculation from several quarters of the society which has the potential of further damaging our already tainted image both locally and abroad.

“[…] The current administration is in the process of engaging a quantity surveyor with a view to achieving two objectives. The first objective is to produce a professional report and make public the findings, so as to avoid speculation of vindictiveness on the part of the current administration.

“The second objective, which is of paramount importance, is to address all the issues with a view to resolving them and operationalise the building.”

A day later, on 23 January, Ramdhan wrote Mosengo-Omba again; and, this time, he addressed the initial query of the Fifa official.

“Consequent to my previous letter of 22 January, I wish to further advise that Fifa Forward funding will not be used to satisfy any third party debts,” stated the TTFA general secretary. “It is our stated objective to use funds intended for development in those specific areas. We intend to avoid the pitfalls of the past where moneys were used contrary to purpose.

“The current administration has a plan to deal with the debts inherited and we intend to meet and discuss this with our creditors… We have already signed a memorandum of understanding with a foreign company for a project in Trinidad that would factor in a debt of TT$50 million incorporated in the overall cost of the project to satisfy the debt.

“[…] I do hope that this information will serve to address any concerns which Fifa may have and bring some level of comfort as I can discern some unease about our debt situation.

“Rest assured we are up to the task of rebuilding our administration and restoring our image and look forward to cooperating with Fifa to achieve our collective objectives.”

Mosengo-Omba did not respond to either email.

Ramdhan said he was justified in the statements made to the Fifa official, since he was only replying to Mosengo-Omba’s letter and also fulfilling Wallace’s campaign promise of transparent governance.

“We had to [investigate the Home of Football and make our findings public] because we campaigned on being open and transparent,” said Ramdhan, who was a part of Wallace’s United TTFA slate, “especially as I wrote to Fifa before [in 2019] and they never took me on. And what we discovered was frightening to say the least…”

By then, Wallace’s administration had been in office for roughly two months and not received any of the Fifa subvention that was due. A cursory check, according to Ramdhan, revealed that other associations had already been wired money from the global body’s Zurich headquarters.

After a couple of enquiring phone calls, Ramdhan said he was put on to Stacey Daniel, who is a manager in the Fifa Finance Department.

“She told me we would get it [by the end of January] but we didn’t,” Ramdhan told Wired688. “So I asked who was above her that could explain what was going on. And that was when I was put back on to Veron.”

It took three days for Wallace to get Mosengo-Omba on the phone and, then, his response was supposedly that Fifa would send a team to Trinidad to investigate its finances; and they would ask Concacaf to fund the TTFA until that was completed.

Ramdhan was frustrated.

“Fifa should have investigated what I sent to them [about John-Williams and the Home of Football],” he said, “not our administration.”

The TTFA is due US$150,000 (TT$1 million) annually from Concacaf for football development. Based on money from Concacaf, the local football body was able to send the Women’s National Under-20 Team on a two week pre-tournament tour in the Dominican Republic.

The team, coached by Richard Hood, went on to finish as quarterfinalists at the Women’s Concacaf Under-20 Championship.

In February, Fifa finance coordinator Mehmet Dirlik, Concacaf finance manager Alejandro Kesende, Concacaf finance department Dally Fuentes and Valeria Yepes, an independent auditor visited Trinidad to speak with local officials, including Wallace, Ramdhan and TTFA finance committee chairman Kendall Tull.

If the new TTFA administration had any information regarding spending at the Home of Football that Mosengo-Omba might have missed, the joint-Fifa and Concacaf team would surely have been apprised of it.

Wallace, Ramdhan and Tull felt the meetings went well and the foreign contingent allegedly vowed that Fifa would turn on its financial tap shortly. But that never happened.

In the interim, Wallace held a press conference on 4 March, in which he pointed to the financial mismanagement of the association by John-Williams, aided by his finance manager, Patrick—who was still a TTFA employee.

Tull, according to a source, advised against the press conference and, in particular, the revelations concerning over TT$4 million due for PAYE, BIR and health surcharge payments.

Again, Ramdhan said Wallace’s decision to speak up was in keeping with their mantra of ‘transparency’.

On 7 March, the TTFA board met and passed a motion to investigate the perceived financial mismanagement of the John-Williams-led administration. The probe would have included spending on the Home of Football project, which was supervised by Mosengo-Omba.

The first order of business was to be the suspension of Patrick, who, members felt, could not operate as finance manager while being investigated.

Wallace was asked to get a legal letter to that effect, which would be issued to Patrick. However, the president stalled as he wanted to get a replacement for his finance officer first. And, even then, Wallace felt Patrick should be given time to ‘hand over responsibilities’ to his successor.

Ten days after that meeting, with Patrick still in place and no replacement identified, Fifa took the atomic option of firing the entire TTFA board under article 8.2 of its statutes, which states:

‘Executive bodies of member associations may under exceptional circumstances be removed from office by the Council in consultation with the relevant confederation and replaced by a normalisation committee for a specific period of time.’

Fifa, in a missive on its website, stated that its decision: ‘follows the recent FIFA/Concacaf fact-finding mission to Trinidad and Tobago to assess, together with an independent auditor, the financial situation of TTFA [which] found that extremely low overall financial management methods, combined with a massive debt, have resulted in the TTFA facing a very real risk of insolvency and illiquidity. Such a situation is putting at risk the organisation and development of football in the country and corrective measures need to be applied urgently.’

Ramdhan believed that Fifa was always going to be hostile to the current TTFA administration, whether he crossed swords with Mosengo-Omba or not.

“I think they were always looking to do this,” he said. “And even when I wrote those letters, they didn’t even have the courtesy to reply to me or the TTFA. So I don’t think those letters played a part in this.”

Mosengo-Omba might be having the last laugh now. However, the TTFA has announced its intention to appeal Fifa’s decision, through attorneys Dr Emir Crowne and Matthew Gayle of New City Chambers.

If the allegations made in Ramdhan’s letter to Mosengo-Omba bare any truth, the TTFA’s promised investigation could have had dire implications for Fifa’s image under current president Gianni Infantino.

Ironically, if there is financial misconduct at the Home of Football—Look Loy suggested last year that TT$16 million unaccounted for from the project—then there is only one man with as much to lose as as John-Williams and Mosengo-Omba.

And that is Patrick, the person who Fifa has now put in charge of the TTFA.

(Letter from Fifa to TTFA on 13 January 2020)

Dear General Secretary,

In light of the significant amount of outstanding debts the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) has had in the past with third party suppliers, the FIFA administration would like to follow up on the current status of those debts.

It is important to highlight that assets financed by the FIFA Forward Programme cannot be, under any circumstances, mortgaged.

The FIFA Member Associations Division is fully committed and available to support your Member Association in every necessary aspect in order to achieve positive outcome.

Yours sincerely

Veron Mosengo-Omba,

Chief Member Associations Officer

(Letter for TTFA to Fifa on 22 January 2020)

Dear Mr Mosengo-Omba,

I thank you for your email of Monday 13 January. Your advice regarding the Home of Football (HOF) is duly noted. The new administration is fully aware of all the implications involved as we pursue the solutions to the problems we inherited. The significant debt you mentioned pose serious challenges for the TTFA and your offer to assist gives us hope.

During the visit of the Development Manager (DM) last week, as we perused the financial records of the TTFA, we discovered that funds intended for other areas were diverted to the HOF project resulting in the failure of the TTFA to meet its day to day financial obligations. Chief amongst them was the inability to pay the salaries of staff for the Christmas.

Presently, the outstanding balance owed in relation to the HOF to date is approximately TT$2 million. The amount of confirmed debt is TT$33,782,826.31, other payables are TT$15,211,861.50. Attached for your information and yet to be determined [is] TT$25 million, which represents two batters which are before the courts re: Jack Warner and Sheldon Phillips. These figures can change dramatically based on the current trend.

The HOF project which is at the centre of this conversation was intended to bring an end to our financial woes, which had plagued the TTFA for over a decade. It is now ironic that, in 2020, it has become the source of our financial distress.

A project which was opened with a lot of fanfare is now faced with issues which required additional funding to resolve. These issues vary from design and construction to safety and lack of the requisite approvals from agencies. This situation denies the TTFA the opportunity to benefit from such a significant investment.

I knew you were a central figure during the construction phase of this project. I can also appreciate that the responsibility entrusted upon you in facilitating the process may have fallen outside the core area of competency required for such a project.

It is now incumbent upon Fifa, given this experience, to review the processes employed in their Forward Project programs in order to avoid reoccurrence of this nature which can compromise Fifa. I am of the view that Fifa has indeed been compromised in this scenario.

Having said that, based on what we have discovered during the recent visit of the Development Manager (DM) and the Assistant Development Manager (ADM) in the presence of the TTFA Financial Manager, the manner in which the project was being managed should have raised red flags.

Given the revelations, it is curious and even suspicious that the project continued uninterrupted. This has attracted speculation from several quarters of the society which has the potential of further damaging our already tainted image both locally and abroad.

A cursory glance of the paper trail suggests that there was a lack of proper oversight. The president of the TTFA appears to have been the project manager, the contractor as well as the purchaser.

The current administration is in the process of engaging a quantity surveyor with a view to achieving two objectives. The first objective is to produce a professional report and make public the findings so as to avoid speculation of vindictiveness on the part of the current administration.

The second objective, which is of paramount importance, is to address all the issues with a view to resolving them and operationalise the building.

As we peruse the financial records of the TTFA, our preliminary findings suggest a lack of financial prudence on the part of the last administration. As a consequence, we have taken a decision to engage a forensic auditor to determine if any financial impropriety occurred as we are not prepared to carry that burden forward as we seek to reshape the association.

Yours sincerely,

Ramesh Ramdhan,

TTFA general secretary

(Letter from TTFA to Fifa on 23 January 2020)

Consequent to my previous letter of 22 January, I wish to further advise that Fifa Forward funding will not be used to satisfy any third party debts. It is our stated objective to use funds intended for development in those specific areas. We intend to avoid the pitfalls of the past where moneys were used contrary to purpose.

The current administration has a plan to deal with the debts inherited and we intend to meet and discuss this with our creditors. It is our intention to acknowledge the debts and, if necessary, give letters of comfort to avoid the courts of Trinidad and Tobago.

We have already signed a memorandum of understanding with a foreign company for a project in Trinidad that would factor in a debt of TT$50 million incorporated in the overall cost of the project to satisfy the debt. Officials of the said company will be visiting Trinidad in a couple weeks to discuss the public private partnership with the government of Trinidad and Tobago.

I do hope that this information will serve to address any concerns which Fifa may have and bring some level of comfort as I can discern some unease about our debt situation.

Rest assured we are up to the task of rebuilding our administration and restoring our image and look forward to cooperating with Fifa to achieve our collective objectives.

Yours sincerely,

Ramesh Ramdhan,

TTFA general secretary

Editor’s Note: Wired868 asked Fifa official Veron Mosengo-Omba a series of questions related to the announced normalisation committee and the Home of Football, including whether he noticed any financial irregularities in the project, why he had not recused himself from issues involving the TTFA due to a potential conflict of interest, and why Fifa decided to put TTFA’s finance manager in charge despite basing its decision to intervene on the football body’s supposedly catastrophic financial set-up.

He had not responded up to the time of publication.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2020, 10:46:54 PM »
Based on the information the TTFA can present a strong case. I hope this can draw some attention globally so FIFA can be exposed even if they decide to suspend us.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2020, 05:27:31 AM »
I think we are already suspended and that’s what we are appealing.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 02, 2020, 05:02:46 AM »
I think we are already suspended and that’s what we are appealing.
no we’re not. the ttfa is suspended but with the normalization scheme it’s love under new management.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA refused business at Home of Football
« Reply #158 on: April 02, 2020, 06:52:13 AM »
TTFA refused business at Home of Football
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

It will take a grand effort by football’s world governing body, FIFA, for the now controversial Home Of Football in Balmain, Couva, to achieve the purpose it was built for, vice president of the Couva, Point Lisas Chamber of Commerce and owner of the Metro Hotel in Couva, Mukesh Ramsingh told Guardian Media Sports on Wednesday.

The popular central businessman listed a number of factors why the facility could not operate at a profit, pointing out that the concerns ranged from design flaws, poor location, no kitchen or laundry areas to facilitate large numbers, no concessionaires and general flaws to its structure, among many others. He said FIFA, itself would have to invest heavily or send teams to the facility in numbers, if sports tourism is to take place at the facility.

“In fact there was a time when my hotel was really booked up and I called the T&T Football Association (TTFA) office under David John-Williams for work but I was told that the facility was not ready, and this was after the official opening of the facility,” Ramsingh said.

The multi-million-dollar facility is equipped with 72 rooms, luxury dinning and media areas, an entertainment centre, a futsal, beach soccer and outdoor fields but despite approvals given by the FIFA on more than at least two occasions, the new William Wallace-led administration closed the facility soon after assuming office, saying there are pending approvals and no property insurance.

There are claims that there's no safety measures in the case of a fire, no reliable water supply as water has to be taken from the Sport Company of T&T situated just beside it.

Ramsingh said as Chamber vice president he got the opportunity to visit the Home of Football under John-Williams and Wallace, and he supports the latter for the decision to close the facility, noting that while he believes that the FIFA’s aim is to avoid having another Centre of Excellence, it would require the injection of lots and lots of funds by FIFA to keep the facility afloat, or the sport’s governing world body have to take the lead position in getting teams to come to T&T to use the facility.

“Had Wallace or even John-Williams taken the chance to use the facility, it would have cost the TTFA a lot of money, and thereby doing the opposite of what it was constructed for. There are huge overheads to be covered first before you can think of making a profit. For my hotel alone it costs $100,000 in overheads and at the Home of Football, it is significantly higher,” Ramsingh said.

He predicted that to bring the Home of Football up to readiness, it would take a further $1.5 million. Ramsingh said: “It’s more of a dormitory-like facility. There is nothing for hoteliers to expect when they exit the facility, no vendors or entertainment as it is in the middle of nowhere.”

Ramsingh’s views on the Home of Football come a day after president of the Central Football Association (CFA) Shymdeo Gosine said the decision by the Wallace-led football administration to close down the facility was one of many key decisions that would have influenced the FIFA to appoint a Normalisation Committee to conduct the affairs of T&T football.

But Ramsingh believes the facility was not ready after its glamorous opening in November and is still not ready to conduct any business at this point in time.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 02, 2020, 09:01:58 AM »
Well if Mr. Ramsingh is correct in his assessment, why don't FiFa look into that, and let the public know of its finding. Oh no! I real chupid. FiFa investigate itself?  Fellas, I goin in the corner with a dunce cap on meh head for suggesting such a fifa undertaking.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 02, 2020, 10:00:51 AM »
With  each passing day it is clear Fifa had no interest investigating David John Williams ,  It's simple as that. I have no doubt there will be revelations coming to light eventually . There are more to come .

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 02, 2020, 10:47:29 AM »

“Had Wallace or even John-Williams taken the chance to use the facility, it would have cost the TTFA a lot of money, and thereby doing the opposite of what it was constructed for. There are huge overheads to be covered first before you can think of making a profit. For my hotel alone it costs $100,000 in overheads and at the Home of Football, it is significantly higher,” Ramsingh said.

---------------------

Common sense

each body overseer the hotel. And all associations share the expenses, cause left to football alone, we’ll we know how that goes.. el

maxg, while you making sense, I see this hotel as DJW plaything. Another center of "excellence" scenario.
Many people like expensive playthings, very few can manage them to a profit or well. Can he keep the hotel operationally successful, can he put ppl in the rooms at their expense and not ours ? As i said swimming is going to cover 1 month. Having a nice hotel to hold our National football camps is great, but how is it going to make money to cover those National camps. This is not a Ma & PA bb we talking about, it's a thing that will require year round staffing and operations. 80% of Operations and occupancy may have nothing to do with football . Staff can't be hired by month or event...the only way this will be viable for our National programs, is if the Hotel can operate at a profit, regardless of how nice it look or wonderful location to stadia.

ps: MzTing graduating in Tourism and Hotel Management, but given how ppl does get pay, i not recommending her at all. ;)                           

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Government eyes TTFA hotel as COVID step-down facility
« Reply #162 on: April 16, 2020, 07:24:00 AM »
Government eyes TTFA hotel as COVID step-down facility
By Keith Clement and Mark Bassant (T&T Guardian)

The controversial Home of Football, which was deemed unusable by former Trinidad and Tobago Football Association president William Wallace back in November, is now one of the venues Government is considering for use as a step-down facility in the fight against the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) following a visit yesterday.

Minister of National Security Stuart Young led a party of officials from the Ministries of Health, National Security, Fire Services and FIFA Normalisation Committee chairman Robert Hadad on a tour of the facility.

Guardian Media confirmed this with Hadad late yesterday and he revealed it was an option being considered for a while.

“They (Government) have been speaking to us and I suggest you speak with either Minister Young or Deyalsingh for an update. They have to decide what they want to do,” Hadad said during a telephone conversation without revealing anything further.

However, sources told Guardian Media the touring team spent a considerable amount of time at the facility.

“We are not sure what is going to happen at this point, but I know they are trying to get the necessary approvals,” a source familiar with the tour explained.

The source added that there were other venues being considered for step-down facilities by the Ministry of Health. Before the TTFA facility can be given the green light to house recovering COVID patients, it will have to meet the necessary requirements, the source added.

Last November, then newly-elected TTFA president Wallace had said the multi-million dollar facility was not fit for operations.

Wallace told Guardian Media then, “There are two things. There are no Fire Service approvals and of course if it’s a place for the public you need liability insurance, which you get when the building is completed. The building is not completed, there are still things to be done.”

On November 18 last year, the TTFA held a gala opening ceremony for the hotel which was attended by Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and FIFA president Gianni Infantino and other dignitaries. However, two days after being elected as president of the TTFA, Wallace closed down the facility saying it was uninsured and not certified by the Fire Service.

The Home of Football is a 72-room hotel which cost the TTFA an estimated TT$16.85 million and sits on a 17.5-acre parcel of land leased to the association by the Government. However, the issues surrounding the closure of the facility were said to be at the heart of FIFA removing Wallace and his three vice presidents, Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick and Joseph Sam Phillip, from office on March 17 and replacing them with the Hadeed-led Normalisation Committee. Wallace and his team are now challenging FIFA’s decision at the Court for Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Switzerland.

On Saturday, Prime Minister Rowley toured the National Racquet Centre, which houses the country’s national tennis facility, along with Health Minister Terrance Deyalsingh and Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram and declared it a step-down facility in the Government’s fight against the novel coronavirus. The Tacarigua facility will have a 50-bed capacity. There is also a step-down facility at Brooklyn Settlement, Sangre Grande.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
So Lasana has just reported that PM Rowley is negotiating with Hadad on HOF
« Reply #163 on: April 17, 2020, 01:15:11 AM »
Just like I’ve been saying all along, the government is complicit.

They have decided to sidestep Wallace and negotiate with Hadad. An illegal move and also shows that the TT government is siding with FIFAs decision.

Which brings us back to the government also being a part of the undermining of TT football, also meaning that they quietly supported the dictator and didn’t support this current admin...

It also shows that they are not in the business to improve our football, using the facility for covid patients is not the issue, but their approach has revealed their true nature and intentions.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So wait. All the things wrong with the place and all that is lacking. You can place the weakest and most susceptible to death at this moment in the place. On top of the ppl to care for them . Not only the government can’t be serious to even consider this. As announced, We just lost our case against FiFa.
Nah, can’t be true, haven’t seen this. Hope is not published.

Add: Well that’s it. Now, somebody - most likely the government if actual use of that establishment- gon get sue on top of everything and Case blown up.

Was the executive lying about the dangers of the place?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 03:02:44 AM by maxg »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is real f**kery. Sorry Flex, go ahead and edit it.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I done, wish y’all all the best

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/17/home-of-football-excellent-for-covid19-battle/

Home of Football ‘excellent’ for covid19 battle
Jelani Becknles (Newsday).

THE Prime Minister confirmed that the Home of Football in Couva will be used to battle the covid19 virus, saying that the sporting facility is “as good as any accommodation that you could get in TT.”

Dr Rowley confirmed this at a post-Cabinet media briefing, on Thursday. The news follows a tour to the Home of Football by Ministry of Health officials and Ministry of National Security officials, on Wednesday.

“That building you know came into being as a public-private arrangement between the Government and FIFA,” Rowley said.

“It has been offered to the Government and the Government has accepted the offer.”

Rowley said the facility is a quality one. “It has been evaluated and found to be excellent and my advice is that it can accommodate up to about 72 persons of a category that will be designated by the Chief Medical Officer (Dr Roshan Parasram) and the Minister (of Health Dr Terrence Deyalsingh). This is as good as any accommodation that you could get anywhere in TT, so if that kind of accommodation is not found to be suitable then you know that we have exhausted the limit to which we can go as a country.” Within a week the Home of Football should be used as a step-down facility.

Rowley said the private sector, at no cost, will also assist in making the stay for patients more comfortable. “I am happy that people are chipping in in this way.”

The Home of Football was only opened in November 2019 under then TT Football Association president David John-Williams. The facility was later closed because it lacked proper fire safety measures and liability insurance.

Chairman of the Normalisation Committee Robert Hadad, who is now in charge of running TT football, said all measures are being put in place.

“Everything rectified. We are following the advice of Fire Services and we are solving all the problems. The liability insurance is in place also.” Hadad was glad that the facility will be used to battle the virus.

The Home of Football is the second sporting facility in days to be announced as a facility to help battle covid19.

Last Saturday, it was revealed that the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua, which is under the purview of the Sports Company of TT (SporTT), will be used as a step-down facility that will be equipped with 50 beds.

In an interview with Newsday, chairman of SporTT Douglas Camacho said it is their duty to support the covid19 battle. “We are actually very supportive of anything that the country is doing to help fight this pandemic.”

Newsday, however, received complaints from a resident in Tacarigua about the National Racquet Centre being used.

The resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The residents of 4th Street Extension, Dinsley, Tacarigua are very concerned as many of us live directly behind the Racquet Centre only separated by a wire fence and some trees. “We as residents would like to know what the criteria was in choosing this centre when there are many unoccupied similar buildings in more isolated locations around the country.”

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 12:20:43 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 17, 2020, 09:45:47 AM »
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

THE Prime Minister confirmed that the Home of Football in Couva will be used to battle the covid19 virus, saying that the sporting facility is “as good as any accommodation that you could get in TT.”

Dr Rowley confirmed this at a post-Cabinet media briefing, on Thursday. The news follows a tour to the Home of Football by Ministry of Health officials and Ministry of National Security officials, on Wednesday.

“That building you know came into being as a public-private arrangement between the Government and FIFA,” Rowley said.

“It has been offered to the Government and the Government has accepted the offer.”

Rowley said the facility is a quality one. “It has been evaluated and found to be excellent and my advice is that it can accommodate up to about 72 persons of a category that will be designated by the Chief Medical Officer (Dr Roshan Parasram) and the Minister (of Health Dr Terrence Deyalsingh). This is as good as any accommodation that you could get anywhere in TT, so if that kind of accommodation is not found to be suitable then you know that we have exhausted the limit to which we can go as a country.” Within a week the Home of Football should be used as a step-down facility.

Rowley said the private sector, at no cost, will also assist in making the stay for patients more comfortable. “I am happy that people are chipping in in this way.”

The Home of Football was only opened in November 2019 under then TT Football Association president David John-Williams. The facility was later closed because it lacked proper fire safety measures and liability insurance.

Chairman of the Normalisation Committee Robert Hadad, who is now in charge of running TT football, said all measures are being put in place.

“Everything rectified. We are following the advice of Fire Services and we are solving all the problems. The liability insurance is in place also.” Hadad was glad that the facility will be used to battle the virus.

The Home of Football is the second sporting facility in days to be announced as a facility to help battle covid19.

Last Saturday, it was revealed that the National Racquet Centre in Tacarigua, which is under the purview of the Sports Company of TT (SporTT), will be used as a step-down facility that will be equipped with 50 beds.

In an interview with Newsday, chairman of SporTT Douglas Camacho said it is their duty to support the covid19 battle. “We are actually very supportive of anything that the country is doing to help fight this pandemic.”

Newsday, however, received complaints from a resident in Tacarigua about the National Racquet Centre being used.

The resident, who wished to remain anonymous, said, “The residents of 4th Street Extension, Dinsley, Tacarigua are very concerned as many of us live directly behind the Racquet Centre only separated by a wire fence and some trees. “We as residents would like to know what the criteria was in choosing this centre when there are many unoccupied similar buildings in more isolated locations around the country.”

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
f**k off contro with your nonsensical witch hunts. i really can’t stand another three years of your bullshit ridiculous conspiracy theories. right now the government is searching high and low to find places to house sickly recovering patients, and this place was offered by Hadad and not the other way around!

I listened to the news where there going to bring up the place to code before housing the sick recovering folks. as for wallace he’s acting like a light weight, All he had to do was approach the govts for help with the HOF instead of looking to do everything by his lonesome, I’m sure the cabinet would have approve help to get this HOF up and running had he approached them.

if this is what the next three years is going to look like then I have better things to do with my time than to cry over TT football.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 06:26:35 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So wait. All the things wrong with the place and all that is lacking. You can place the weakest and most susceptible to death at this moment in the place. On top of the ppl to care for them . Not only the government can’t be serious to even consider this. As announced, We just lost our case against FiFa.

Add: Well that’s it. Now, somebody - most likely the government if actual use of that establishment- gon get sue on top of everything and Case blown up.

FYI fifa offered the government the use of the facility mate, probably hadad took the initiative and offered and they accepted. on the news it states that the government plans to bring the place up to code and insuring it before occupying the hotel, so relax with the suppositions.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
f**k off contro with your nonsensical witch hunts. i really can’t stand another three years of your bullshit ridiculous conspiracy theories. right now the government is searching high and low to find places to house sickly recovering patients, and this place was offered by Hadad and not the other way around!

I listened to the news where there going to bring up the place to code before housing the sick recovering folks. as for wallace he’s acting like a light weight, All he had to do was approach the govts for help with the HOF instead of looking to do everything by his lonesome, I’m sure the cabinet would have approve help to get this HOF up and running had he approached them.

if this is what the next three years is going to look like then I have better things to do with my time than to cry over TT football.
Thank you pull stones. 100% agreement. I hate what happened to Wallace and co but to imply the government is complicit is absolutely ludicrous. Contro keeps throwing out this crap and hope it sticks. I really can't take anymore of these conspiracy theories!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

FYI fifa offered the government the use of the facility mate, probably hadad took the initiative and offered and they accepted. on the news it states that the government plans to bring the place up to code and insuring it before occupying the hotel, so relax with the suppositions.

Thanks. Didn't realize more facilities were required, and the government was willing or had the funds to invest in more than those existing. Given that we at present have 114 known and closely monitored cases and given the fact of such reports as this link. I guess it always best to be prepared for a sudden increase of a couple hundred.
add: nb: The TT government has been quite stringent in their response and results and recovered cases reflect such.

Meanwhile in Mtl (Hardest hit Cdn city). Many various foreigners (travellers) in addition to early spring break.
Provincial government has been just as stringent.
4Million pop., aprox.  7760 cases (.0018% positive)
                 Number of hospitalizations in province (8.9 Million pop.)
Number of regular hospitalizations: 869
Number in intensive care: 207
Total number of hospitalizations: 1 076

Deaths :391

I estimate, a TT would need a floating figure of ~145 beds given a similar trajectory. Yet given the nature of our culture and this unknown entity, one can never be careful. But what do I know, i'm not a doctor, nor a Epidemiologists.

It should be noted
What did we learn (see the table for the analysis)

That between 5% and 80% of people testing positive for SARS-CoV-2 may be asymptomatic
That symptom-based screening will miss cases, perhaps a lot of them
That some  asymptomatic cases  will  become  symptomatic over the next week (sometimes known as “pre-symptomatics”)
That children and young adults can be asymptomatic

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/18/pointe-a-pierre-hospital-ready-for-covid19-patients/

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/18/mayor-pt-fortin-hospital-preparing/

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/18/no-new-covid19-cases-reported-overnight/

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/04/17/home-of-football-excellent-for-covid19-battle/

From link 1
The Augustus Long Hospital and Hostel located in Pointe-a-Pierre has been refurbished to accommodate 60 patients in the fight against covid19.

The operations of the facility was handed over to the Ministry of Health, which also had oversight in the refurbishment to ensure that it met clinical standards.

Principal Medical Officer at the Health Ministry Dr Maryam Abdool-Richards said, “The refurbishment of this hospital and hostel will serve as an additional health facility in our national parallel health care system for the covid19 response.”
Other facilities that are being used to treat covid19 patients are the Caura hospital and the Couva Medical and Multi-Training Facility.

The Government announced that the newly-constructed Arima General Hospital would also be used to treat covid19 patients. It has been equipped with 150 beds, of which ten have been designated for the intensive care and high dependency units.

From link 2

“In case it is needed, it will be available,” the Point Fortin mayor told Newsday by phone. It comprises three storeys on 16 acres of land at the corner of Techier and the Main Road. This 100-bed hospital has 175,000 square feet. Recently Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh announced that the hospital was one of the facilities identified to provide more strength as the need arises

From Link 4
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:14:03 AM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
So all of the above to ask
Why do they even consider the HoF, and how/with whom will they staff it, and what equipment would be required ?
 I think that offer may have been an attempt to  deflate the argument of the Executive by showing the place is functionally sound. It's might sound like a conspiracy theory, but given the political backstabbing and crookedness demonstrated throughout all aspects of this saga, at all levels of administration, it's not the last conclusions to be drawn. The government had to investigate the offer, but shouldn't they have first and immediately investigate where their/our portion of money went, when Wallace and company said, the place was unusable due to local infractions ? Wasn't Shamfa toured during the build to see the progress, didn't no one tour after and confirm it clearance ?
Questions, questions. Don't know anything for sure.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:30:01 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
pull stones, you don't strike me as a man who believes everything he reads or hears; why start now? There is orchestration and choreography at play here in the background.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Pull, how are you blaming WW as being a light weight in this matter. When he found that the site was lacking fire code and liability, he should have approach the government for money to upgrade ? For everyone to say that in this time of crisis TTFA going to government for hand out ? Why should the govt bail out TTFA again. The only thing I blame WW for is that he did not have the financial backings he claimed to have had. I wrote a number of times that if you do not have money or benefactors with a large amount of money, you should not run for TTFA. This organization is a gas guzzling pre-70s vehichle.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 07:43:34 PM by Deeks »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Pull, how are you blaming WW as being a light weight in this matter. When he found that the site was lacking fire code and liability, he should have approach the government for money to upgrade ? For everyone to say that in this time of crisis TTFA going to government for hand out ? Why should the govt bail out TTFA again. The only thing I blame WW for is that he did not have the financial backings he claimed to have had. I wrote a number of times that if you do not have money or benefactors with a large amount of money, you should not run for TTFA. This organization is a gas guzzling pre-70s vehichle.
slowdown mate. first of all I happen to like William Wallace ,Raymond timkee and Keith look loy very much, in fact when they won it felt like a big sack of rotten potatoes were lifted off my back and i was free for the first time in years, not just because we were finally going to see the last of DJW and it foolish antics, but all the other administrations from Ollie camps to the present, we were finally free of all those parasites.

William Wallace took over and his first move was to close the hotel.....ok....mad move....because this hotel was build as an income generator, and for the whole of the carnival season they didn’t make a penny from it, and wasted a grand opportunity because he didn’t see it as an urgency to have this place up and running to capitalize on the venue as well as the hotel. now he's taking up a collection to fight fifa, what kind of hand to mouth shite is that??

after they won and realize that the HOF needed insurance and fire inspection they should have jumped on it so by January the place could have been opened for business, but no they dragged their feet when they could have approached the ministry of sports for help in bringing the facility up to code, even in january shamfa codjoe was asking why wasn’t the HOF opened for business? now they are asking for money at the worst possible time ever in our history when half of the world is at home sitting on their hands.

Deeks if you want to run a football association you should at least have some contacts and money people willing to back your move, because in this game you can’t be a maxi taxi conductor and want to wine and dine a super model, it just doesn’t work that way. with such ambitions you would at least need a capitalist in your corner willing to back your ideas to the limit and then some.

in the realm of football you need big name investors and contacts to be successful and these men are behaving like nickel and dime hustlers on the corner, that’s why I refer to them as lightweights.

sure I support the challenge to FIFA’s misgivings by all means, but don’t you think a “go fund me” page is quite ridiculous......not to mention laughable when coming up against the most powerful organization in the world? you would at least need enough money to pay your lawyers, or at least someone to secure you a loan of some sort, but these men don’t have any visible of means support, morally or financially, all they have is ideas. I wish them luck with that.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:49:20 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
pull stones, you don't strike me as a man who believes everything he reads or hears; why start now? There is orchestration and choreography at play here in the background.
not by anyone in the government I’m sure. did you watch the grand opening of the HOF, if you didn’t then i suggest that you do. the prime minister’s body language said it all, in fact I thought he was being rather discourteous especially to mr montagliani and infantino himself. in his speech the PM was talking about how the fat boss approached him for the land to build the hotel, and how he refused him on a few occasions until he finally relented. 

then he started with FIFA and infantino stating he didn’t want anything to do with any of them because FIFA was a mafia organization and infantino was an Italian, i almost puked in disgust as to dr rowley’s crass behavior and stood in disbelief as to how rude and abrupt the PM was to that man, it was not a good look.

now i know that mad contro in his warp imagination would take it to mean that the PM’s antics would’ve been a decoy to hide his true intent, but by golly that would have been quite unnecessary since no one cared about this dumb hotel in the middle of nowhere, in fact I’m sure most trinis were not even aware such a place actually existed, nor would anyone in the whole wide world care enough to have an opinion on it.

as for who what where and why this place was offered, does it really matter to the government? they were given a valuable life line and they grabbed it. it’s only those who have an axe to grind actually cares how and why. as for those of us who find it distasteful of fifa to offer this place of refuge to the government need not bother themselves. if the footballs take holders in trinidad had any pride at all we would have stayed clear of fifa’s fundings and build our own HOF with our own tax dollars, because we saw how they fifa literally yanked the center of excellence out of jack Warner’s paws to the point where you seldom hear of this place anymore, it’s almost like it never existed in the first place.

so no I don’t think there’s any I’ll intent on the governments part, and as it stands the government is extremely desperate for places to house the victims of this virus, and could hardly refuse such an offer. as previously mentioned, if anything it’s fifa who has the ulterior motives and not the government because i don’t rightly see anything apart from this unfortunate circumstance with the virus and this hotel, that our government would need anything from fifa who is of absolutely no use to them.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 02:35:28 AM by pull stones »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Can’t help but notice your frustration because I’ve been right all these years, it must grind you good and proper...

It’s laughable to me to see how easy your narcissistic ego can be tarnished and how gullible you can be to fall for the media circus that covers up for the government and certain members of TT society.

You’re a naive fool to say the least, but that’s nothing surprising given you have taken the bait, hook line and sinker about WW and the HOF.

The question you forgot to ask was, why now? Why the sudden interest to dip into the treasury and save the HOF once Hadad picked up the phone?

Covid is a nice way to disguise misuse of funds, it’s as if there isn’t other places that can serve the nation in the same way.

But no, you believe everything they feed you, the major difference between me and you is, I know things you will never know and I’m not brainwashed...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

Thank you pull stones. 100% agreement. I hate what happened to Wallace and co but to imply the government is complicit is absolutely ludicrous. Contro keeps throwing out this crap and hope it sticks. I really can't take anymore of these conspiracy theories!

I can’t help it that both of you are too lazy to research and have zero intuition when it comes to politics in TT... what burns both of you more than anything is me being right... after all the baseless insults and accusations, you both look like some fools and are basically easy targets of govt media manipulation

Go learn about counter intelligence then come back and talk to me

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Can’t help but notice your frustration because I’ve been right all these years, it must grind you good and proper...

It’s laughable to me to see how easy your narcissistic ego can be tarnished and how gullible you can be to fall for the media circus that covers up for the government and certain members of TT society.

You’re a naive fool to say the least, but that’s nothing surprising given you have taken the bait, hook line and sinker about WW and the HOF.

The question you forgot to ask was, why now? Why the sudden interest to dip into the treasury and save the HOF once Hadad picked up the phone?

Covid is a nice way to disguise misuse of funds, it’s as if there isn’t other places that can serve the nation in the same way.

But no, you believe everything they feed you, the major difference between me and you is, I know things you will never know and I’m not brainwashed...
open your eyes mate, you’re a loon. for the next two years until it’s over you would be on a new horse called the government and you would ride it till it drops, just like you rode the “ dictator” till it’s shoes fell off, do you really think we could take another year of that malarkey?

all I’m saying is that you should lay off with the constant government government government, ok mate we hear you, we don’t have to agree but we hear you. it’s very annoying to wake up and read the same rubbish every time you show your face.

And for you information we don’t all have to agree with you to enjoy the forum. Ive noticed a very disturbing trend with you where if anyone does not agree with you, immediately you don the war paint and resort to the name calling and silly branding. life is free mister and if we don’t see it your way then take it for what it’s worth, and why should we allow you to beat us over the head day in day out with your ridiculous conspiracy rhetoric, how could you be so bloody thoughtless? no one here owes you anything.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 04:43:47 AM by pull stones »

1]; } ?>