April 27, 2024, 05:55:52 PM

Author Topic: Caribbean Football Union Thread.  (Read 1230 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Caribbean Football Union Thread.
« on: May 10, 2017, 01:50:20 AM »
CFU’s Derrick upbeat ahead of FIFA case.
T&T Express Reports.

Under-fire Caribbean Football Union president Gordon Derrick says he has been buoyed by support from local clubs as he prepares to defend himself against charges of corruption brought by football’s world governing body, FIFA.

Derrick, who is also the general secretary of the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association, faces a ban of up to four years and a fine of US$15,000 for “alleged conflicts of interest, offering and accepting gifts and other benefits, mismanagement of funds, abuse of position, and disloyalty.”

Speaking here on a radio sports show, Derrick said: “I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of clubs and I was absolutely blown away … and I really feel the love from the clubs.

“A lot of them have told me that anything they can assist with in my defence to please, let them know and they are fully happy, able and willing to assist in any way they can. I don’t know how they can yet, because I am working with my lawyers.

“But, I am talking well over 50 percent of the clubs have already called.”

FIFA announced recently that its ethics committee had opened a formal case against Derrick following an investigation conducted by Dr Cornel Borbély, chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee.

In a report submitted to the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s ethics committee, Dr Borbély recommended a ban on Derrick of no less than four years from any kind of football-related activity – administrative, sports or any otherwise – along with a fine.

Though FIFA did not outline the specifics of the charges, it is understood that among the contentious matters is the mortgaging of land here housing the FIFA Goal Project – a move Derrick said was a decision of the entire ABFA.

“I cannot mortgage the ABFA’s property by myself. Anything to do with football, the decisions must be passed by the executive committee,” Derrick explained.

“I am an employee of the association and my job as the [general secretary] is to carry out the objectives of the executive committee body and if I am not doing that, they would let me know and they would fire me and reprimand me, or do whatever they want to do with me as an employee.”

The Antiguan took over as CFU head in 2012 following the resignation of Trinidadian Jack Warner at the height of the cash-for-votes scandal, and was re-elected for a second term last July.

He said, however, he had taken the decision to step aside from the position until the ongoing matter with FIFA was wrapped up.

“I’ve not resigned from the CFU. I’ve recused myself until the conclusion of the matter that’s going on at the moment,” he stressed.

“I have only about two weeks left to get all of my defence in and there is a significant amount of files that I have to go through. I have to make sure I go through everything to make sure I can have my defence in properly and on time.”

FIFA said recently that Derrick would be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The current controversy is not Derrick’s first run-in with the powerful world governing body. He was one of several Caribbean officials reprimanded and fined over “apparent violations” of FIFA’s ethics code, following the cash-for-votes scandal.

And only last year, he was barred from standing for the post of CONCACAF president after FIFA’s Audit and Compliance Committee said he had had failed an integrity check.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Caribbean Football Union Thread.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2017, 10:34:44 AM »
CFU’s Derrick upbeat ahead of FIFA case.
T&T Express Reports.

Under-fire Caribbean Football Union president Gordon Derrick says he has been buoyed by support from local clubs as he prepares to defend himself against charges of corruption brought by football’s world governing body, FIFA.

Derrick, who is also the general secretary of the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association, faces a ban of up to four years and a fine of US$15,000 for “alleged conflicts of interest, offering and accepting gifts and other benefits, mismanagement of funds, abuse of position, and disloyalty.”

Speaking here on a radio sports show, Derrick said: “I was pleasantly surprised at the amount of clubs and I was absolutely blown away … and I really feel the love from the clubs.

“A lot of them have told me that anything they can assist with in my defence to please, let them know and they are fully happy, able and willing to assist in any way they can. I don’t know how they can yet, because I am working with my lawyers.

“But, I am talking well over 50 percent of the clubs have already called.”

FIFA announced recently that its ethics committee had opened a formal case against Derrick following an investigation conducted by Dr Cornel Borbély, chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee.

In a report submitted to the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s ethics committee, Dr Borbély recommended a ban on Derrick of no less than four years from any kind of football-related activity – administrative, sports or any otherwise – along with a fine.

Though FIFA did not outline the specifics of the charges, it is understood that among the contentious matters is the mortgaging of land here housing the FIFA Goal Project – a move Derrick said was a decision of the entire ABFA.

“I cannot mortgage the ABFA’s property by myself. Anything to do with football, the decisions must be passed by the executive committee,” Derrick explained.

“I am an employee of the association and my job as the [general secretary] is to carry out the objectives of the executive committee body and if I am not doing that, they would let me know and they would fire me and reprimand me, or do whatever they want to do with me as an employee.”

The Antiguan took over as CFU head in 2012 following the resignation of Trinidadian Jack Warner at the height of the cash-for-votes scandal, and was re-elected for a second term last July.

He said, however, he had taken the decision to step aside from the position until the ongoing matter with FIFA was wrapped up.

“I’ve not resigned from the CFU. I’ve recused myself until the conclusion of the matter that’s going on at the moment,” he stressed.

“I have only about two weeks left to get all of my defence in and there is a significant amount of files that I have to go through. I have to make sure I go through everything to make sure I can have my defence in properly and on time.”

FIFA said recently that Derrick would be presumed innocent until proven guilty.

The current controversy is not Derrick’s first run-in with the powerful world governing body. He was one of several Caribbean officials reprimanded and fined over “apparent violations” of FIFA’s ethics code, following the cash-for-votes scandal.

And only last year, he was barred from standing for the post of CONCACAF president after FIFA’s Audit and Compliance Committee said he had had failed an integrity check.

Trump says goodbye to Comey. Infantino says buona serata to Borbély. According to Sunil Gulati, not everyone was in agreement with the decision.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p052jrh1
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 10:36:20 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2021, 03:29:43 PM »
Haitian club AS Cavaly won CFU Club championship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE7COMcgUn0

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2021, 07:51:39 PM »

What did you think of the match?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2021, 04:13:47 AM »

Sylum, I did not see the match. I was following the tournament in the prelims. I got side tracked and forgot about it. Just came upon that video by chance. The sad part was no TT team was there. But that was a blessing in disguise, seeing the state of the country right now.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2021, 05:32:25 AM »

Sylum, I did not see the match. I was following the tournament in the prelims. I got side tracked and forgot about it. Just came upon that video by chance. The sad part was no TT team was there. But that was a blessing in disguise, seeing the state of the country right now.

Here's a broad view of the landscape.

How were the prelim rounds in terms of quality?

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2021, 01:59:05 AM »
Variable. Flames United were as the scorelines suggested, but I was surprised at how much better Cavaly were against all comers. I knew Haitian football was good, but I at least expected more fight from Suriname (Inter Moengotapoe) and Martinique (Samaritaine).

Olympique de Cayenne were a disappointing collapse - French Guiana has a good quality of football generally, so that was a big shock. Group C has an over-weighting of quality in it to be honest - Don Bosco were probably favorites, but Gosier and Samaritaine had quality and the latter showed it. I wonder if they were split across the groups whether they would have made 3 of the 4 quarter final positions.

Metropolitan were the 'upset' of their group B, as Dominican Rep football has come on leaps and bounds, but honestly I'm used to seeing Dom Rep teams (national or club) collapse disappointingly at times, this time due to fielding ineligible players... They had home advantage too, so that was a costly gamble. Was shocked to see Real Rincon outclassed so handily - I was well off the mark in their quality pre-tournament.

Hope international were more competitive than I expected and played well overall (for this level).

I really enjoyed it - a lot of the games can be watched in full on the CONCACAF youtube site

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2021, 07:09:30 PM »
Suriname finally got their Dutch players. A lot of big names from top divisions in Europe.. Their current roster has only two players from Surinamese clubs. I expect them to make an impact in the Gold Cup.

No.   Pos.   Player   Date of birth (age)   Caps   Goals   Club
1   GK   Warner Hahn   15 June 1992 (age 28)   2   0   Belgium Anderlecht

13   GK   Claidel Kohinor   7 February 1992 (age 29)   21   0   Suriname Robinhood

23   GK   Ishan Kort   1 June 2000 (age 20)   1   0   Netherlands Almere U21

2   DF   Damil Dankerlui   24 August 1996 (age 24)   2   0   Netherlands Groningen

3   DF   Ramon Leeuwin   1 September 1987 (age 33)   2   0   Netherlands AZ

4   DF   Dion Malone   13 February 1989 (age 32)   2   0   Netherlands NAC Breda

5   DF   Ridgeciano Haps   12 June 1993 (age 27)   0   0   Netherlands Feyenoord

12   DF   Myenty Abena   12 December 1994 (age 26)   2   0   Slovakia Slovan Bratislava

15   DF   Ryan Donk (Captain)   30 March 1986 (age 35)   2   2   Turkey Galatasaray

19   DF   Shaquille Pinas   19 March 1998 (age 23)   2   1   Netherlands ADO Den Haag

6   MF   Ryan Koolwijk   8 August 1985 (age 35)   0   0   Netherlands Almere City

8   MF   Roland Alberg   6 August 1990 (age 30)   2   1   India Hyderabad

10   MF   Tjaronn Chery   4 June 1988 (age 32)   1   0   Israel Maccabi Haifa

16   MF   Mitchell Donald   10 December 1988 (age 32)   0   0   Turkey BB Erzurumspor

18   MF   Kelvin Leerdam   24 June 1990 (age 30)   2   0   United States Inter Miami

21   MF   Diego Biseswar   8 March 1988 (age 33)   1   0   Cyprus Apollon Limassol

7   FW   Florian Jozefzoon   9 February 1991 (age 30)   1   1   England Rotherham United

9   FW   Nigel Hasselbaink   21 November 1990 (age 30)   4   4   Israel Bnei Sakhnin

11   FW   Sheraldo Becker   9 February 1995 (age 26)   0   0   Germany Union Berlin

14   FW   Mitchell te Vrede   7 September 1991 (age 29)   0   0   Saudi Arabia Al-Fateh

17   FW   Dimitrie Apai   19 July 1994 (age 26)   23   4   Trinidad and Tobago W Connection

20   FW   Gleofilo Vlijter   17 September 1999 (age 21)   9   11   Israel Beitar Jerusalem

22   FW   Ivenzo Comvalius   24 June 1997 (age 23)   13   8   Croatia NK Dugopolje

1]; } ?>