March 28, 2024, 06:08:38 AM

Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread  (Read 27845 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 06, 2021, 09:57:37 PM »
Mexico is the only team that is guarantied a spot the other 2.5 spots is up for grabs.
Canada Honduras U S A will battle it out for the other spots with Costa Rica and Panama with a outside chance of taking a spot.
El Salvador coach has added some American steal to El Salvador but he has taken away there attacking flair they are going to struggle to score goals.
Once Jamaica and TT continue to hire a bunch of local coach's they will never qualify for a WC

When did they have that?

come now seeker :shameonyou: don't you know that any country the even close enough to smell d air in Argentina and Brazil have attacking flair.....I cry :shameonyou: good sir
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 07, 2021, 07:54:49 PM »
I agree with you Frico.

El Salvador looking good. Hugo Perez doing a master job with them. JA was good. Unfortunately they could not hang in there. Sunday is their turn to do the flip on Mex. Good luck to them.

Agreed. He is getting the machine oiled. Battle-ready.

Their choice of Bolivia as an opponent is the appropiate ambition at this stage of growth ... although not exactly a tactically ideal fit in anticipation of Jamaica and Panama.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 08, 2021, 11:45:26 PM »
I agree with you Frico.

El Salvador looking good. Hugo Perez doing a master job with them. JA was good. Unfortunately they could not hang in there. Sunday is their turn to do the flip on Mex. Good luck to them.

Agreed. He is getting the machine oiled. Battle-ready.

Their choice of Bolivia as an opponent is the appropiate ambition at this stage of growth ... although not exactly a tactically ideal fit in anticipation of Jamaica and Panama.

With covid any opposition will do for the moment.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2021, 01:17:25 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 17, 2021, 12:32:03 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 17, 2021, 07:50:59 AM »
Canada's renaissance is a good thing for CONCACAF. Next time let's see what can be accomplished without Arctic conditions. 👿

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 17, 2021, 10:52:23 AM »
Canada's renaissance is a good thing for CONCACAF. Next time let's see what can be accomplished without Arctic conditions. 👿
I think more than just a revival, this is something completely new. They have never achieved such a level of of play (0 losses) and possibility of qualification. Hope they can maintain. This is not just the one child of West Indian parentage (Randy Samuel) in the whole team, but a greater proportion of 1st generation immigrant kids, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, Portugal..etc.   
    Herdman is a brave and fair man to go that route, selecting the best players and not political/financial appeasements, now would the powers that be allow him stay that course, left to be seen. As we well know, Administrative committees can put a lot of pressure on managers, especially in our region.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:57:57 AM by maxg »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 17, 2021, 01:38:08 PM »
I think more than just a revival, this is something completely new. They have never achieved such a level of of play (0 losses) and possibility of qualification. Hope they can maintain. This is not just the one child of West Indian parentage (Randy Samuel) in the whole team, but a greater proportion of 1st generation immigrant kids, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, Portugal..etc.   
    Herdman is a brave and fair man to go that route, selecting the best players and not political/financial appeasements, now would the powers that be allow him stay that course, left to be seen. As we well know, Administrative committees can put a lot of pressure on managers, especially in our region.

Yes Deeks Canada is going places. Last night staring 11  8  players were black  5 of Caribbean heritage..  and a lot more coming through the system...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 17, 2021, 08:50:33 PM »

Yes Deeks Canada is going places. Last night staring 11  8  players were black  5 of Caribbean heritage..  and a lot more coming through the system...
Trini _2026, I relate to your saying "5 of Caribbean heritage". Please, however, help me to understand the significance of your statement that "8  players were black".  ??? ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 18, 2021, 11:17:15 AM »

Trini _2026, I relate to your saying "5 of Caribbean heritage". Please, however, help me to understand the significance of your statement that "8  players were black".  ??? ???

This is the best performing Canadian WC team since the team of the 2nd Mexico(Maradona) WC. Everything appears in sync. There is this synergy that is just rolling with them. They are strong enough to pull a point in away matches. Barring suspensions and injuries their chances look very good.

A far as the cold is concern, that is the "beauty of Concacaf. We have three types of geographic situation. Tundra, tropical and high altitude. You have to deal with it. No excuses. When they come to Trini, is 10 degree from the equator. Or if they go Guyana, Suriname, is even closer and hotter. They have to dealt with it. Concacaf is not a cakewalk as most outsiders attempt to make it to be. The flagship team in Concacaf(Mexico) is not breathing easy this time around. One more slip up and they may  be level with Panama. And if Jamaica starts winning it will make things even dicier.

By the way, US was lucky to come away with a point from JA. Last WC when we beat them, the outsiders said it was a fluke. Right!!!! In Euro Italy and Portugal on the outside looking in. I think England was lucky this time, they got an easy group. But they have some good young quality players. Losing the Euro final may be a blessing in disguise.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2021, 11:20:17 AM »

Anbrat, I don't understand. Of the 8 Black players on the team, 5 were of Caribbean descent.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2021, 11:23:40 AM »
The US has quite a few Black,Mixed-race, Hispanic in this current crop of players. This tend to fluctuate every one or two cycle. By they way I saw Dante Sealey playing for the US youth team in a tournament in Mex. just 2 days ago.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2021, 12:45:55 PM »
Overall 5 to 6 are JA descent. 2 Haitian descent. 1 TT descent (Atiba) Who probably could have gotten man of the match if Larin didnt score 2.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2021, 01:03:09 PM »

By the way, US was lucky to come away with a point from JA. Last WC when we beat them, the outsiders said it was a fluke. Right!!!! In Euro Italy and Portugal on the outside looking in. I think England was lucky this time, they got an easy group. But they have some good young quality players. Losing the Euro final may be a blessing in disguise.

Andorra and San Marino. SMH. Harry Kane for a period impotent to find the back of the net and then emerges to distort the goals tally based on that. Steups. Should UEFA consider a tiered qualification process in which the minnows have their day in a preliminary round?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2021, 04:49:53 PM »

Anbrat, I don't understand. Of the 8 Black players on the team, 5 were of Caribbean descent.
Deeks, I saw and supported a Canadian team of eleven (11) on field players, the substitute bench, coach and other technical staff, all gelling harmoniously to provide a winning performance. The racial composition of the team never entered my mind hence my reaching out in an attempt to understand the significance/relevance of the comment that "8  players were black". 

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2021, 06:35:28 PM »

Deeks, I saw and supported a Canadian team of eleven (11) on field players, the substitute bench, coach and other technical staff, all gelling harmoniously to provide a winning performance. The racial composition of the team never entered my mind hence my reaching out in an attempt to understand the significance/relevance of the comment that "8  players were black". 

Canada has a history of excluding the "Black"players from the MNT program. The past controllers of Canadian Soccer has always tried to manage the number of black players coming into the team. This is the first wcq campaign where the 7 sometimes 8 of the starters are of Caribbean/African extraction.
With that being said, the non black players on the team are the creme of the crop and just as SOLID. . Johnston, Eustaqio and Borjan and Vitorio.. Boss players.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2021, 06:51:42 PM »

Have you been tuned out during the long ongoing social discussion in Western societies regarding inclusion, diversity, identity, representation, conceptions of the other, self, spatial markers, cultural dissonance, migration etc. ... all of which have well-documented nexus with sport ... football not excepted?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2021, 11:01:43 PM »
Apart from Alfonso Davis, I do like Buchanan. Real exciting player.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 19, 2021, 06:51:23 AM »

Canada has a history of excluding the "Black"players from the MNT program. The past controllers of Canadian Soccer has always tried to manage the number of black players coming into the team. This is the first wcq campaign where the 7 sometimes 8 of the starters are of Caribbean/African extraction.
With that being said, the non black players on the team are the creme of the crop and just as SOLID. . Johnston, Eustaqio and Borjan and Vitorio.. Boss players.
"Canada has a history of excluding the "Black"players from the MNT program. The past controllers of Canadian Soccer has always tried to manage the number of black players coming into the team".

Thank you for this enlightening information, gawd on pitch. I was not aware of this alleged discriminatory practice by Canada. Did/does Canada apply this practice to its other sports teams viz hockey, cricket, etc?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 19, 2021, 08:09:30 AM »

Have you been tuned out during the long ongoing social discussion in Western societies regarding inclusion, diversity, identity, representation, conceptions of the other, self, spatial markers, cultural dissonance, migration etc. ... all of which have well-documented nexus with sport ... football not excepted?
Have you been tuned in to the evolution of the Canadian society, particularly the most populated provinces of Ontario & Quebec, over the last 50 years?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 19, 2021, 08:17:29 AM »
I share your opinion of Buchanan who I have seen as a youth player. He is maturing into a really top notch player. Richie Laryea is also deserving of special mention.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2021, 09:30:02 AM »

Have you been tuned in to the evolution of the Canadian society, particularly the most populated provinces of Ontario & Quebec, over the last 50 years?

Rarely a promising sign when a question is treated with a question. Especially one that shifts the burden of response and content. But, I will indulge you.

A: Empirically only partially. Nevertheless, the favorable part adds up to about three decades + ... so that covers the piece/ period that matters sufficiently: 1986 WC to present. The rest I can intuit from viewing Kim's Convenience.  :devil:

Supplement your contribution. Include a substantive response to my question (which implicitly suggested personal knowledge).

And go on the record as to why the mention of the ethnic composition of the players lit a fire under your seat.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2021, 10:39:20 AM »
I share your opinion of Buchanan who I have seen as a youth player. He is maturing into a really top notch player. Richie Laryea is also deserving of special mention.

Yes, I also fail to mention Laryea. If they continue at this level and Canada qualifies, I would be surprise if Buchanan, Laryea and other members do not get contracts to play in Euro.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 10:41:49 AM by Deeks »

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2021, 11:14:45 AM »

Yes, I also fail to mention Laryea. If they continue at this level and Canada qualifies, I would be surprise if Buchanan, Laryea and other members do not get contracts to play in Euro.
Buchanan is signed to Club Brugge and is on loan to New England til MLS season end, as far as I know.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2021, 08:47:49 PM »

Rarely a promising sign when a question is treated with a question. Especially one that shifts the burden of response and content. But, I will indulge you.

A: Empirically only partially. Nevertheless, the favorable part adds up to about three decades + ... so that covers the piece/ period that matters sufficiently: 1986 WC to present. The rest I can intuit from viewing Kim's Convenience.  :devil:

Supplement your contribution. Include a substantive response to my question (which implicitly suggested personal knowledge).

And go on the record as to why the mention of the ethnic composition of the players lit a fire under your seat.
asylumseeker, your question was treated with a question to localize the focus instead of applying a broad brush approach by your reference to "western societies". Rarely a promising sign when the 1 cap fits all is applied. Au contraire, in respect of your assertion "shifts the burden of response and content", my question was intended to lend proper perspective to the topic at hand.

Incidentally, I would certainly not describe the mention of the racial (not "ethnic") composition as having "lit a fire under your seat". My response was casual in nature and by no means antagonistic, but simply seeking an understanding of its relevance. Nothing more, nothing less.

"A: Empirically only partially. Nevertheless, the favorable part adds up to about three decades + ... so that covers the piece/ period that matters sufficiently: 1986 WC to present. The rest I can intuit from viewing Kim's Convenience.  :devil:"

I am sorry but I am at a loss in my endeavors to intuit this aspect of your communication.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 01:25:27 PM by Anbrat »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 24, 2021, 08:08:21 PM »

"Canada has a history of excluding the "Black"players from the MNT program. The past controllers of Canadian Soccer has always tried to manage the number of black players coming into the team".

Thank you for this enlightening information, gawd on pitch. I was not aware of this alleged discriminatory practice by Canada. Did/does Canada apply this practice to its other sports teams viz hockey, cricket, etc?
.................gawd on pitch? Are you still there? ???

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 28, 2022, 06:58:43 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2022, 07:10:18 AM »
Bureau of the FIFA Council takes initial measures with regard to war in Ukraine
FIFA

First and foremost, FIFA would like to reiterate its condemnation of the use of force by Russia in its invasion of Ukraine. Violence is never a solution and FIFA expresses its deepest solidarity to all people affected by what is happening in Ukraine.

FIFA calls again for the urgent restoration of peace and for constructive dialogue to commence immediately. FIFA remains in close contact with the Ukrainian Association of Football and members of the Ukrainian football community who have been requesting support to leave the country for as long as the current conflict persists.

To address football-related matters and in coordination with UEFA, the Bureau of the FIFA Council - involving the FIFA President and the six Confederation Presidents - has unanimously decided to take immediate first measures, in line with recommendations from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) and that will be applicable until further notice:

•            No international competition shall be played on the territory of Russia, with “home” matches being played on neutral territory and without spectators
•            The member association representing Russia shall participate in any competition under the name “Football Union of Russia (RFU)” and not “Russia”
•            No flag or anthem of Russia will be used in matches where teams from the Football Union of Russia participate

FIFA will continue its ongoing dialogue with the IOC, UEFA and other sport organisations to determine any additional measures or sanctions, including a potential exclusion from competitions, that shall be applied in the near future should the situation not be improving rapidly. The Bureau of the FIFA Council remains on standby to take any of these decisions.

Importantly, FIFA strongly believes that the sport movement should be united in its decisions on this topic and that sport should continue being a vector of peace and hope.

With regard to the upcoming FIFA World Cup 2022 qualifiers, FIFA has taken good note of the positions expressed via social media by the Polish Football Association, the Football Association of the Czech Republic and the Swedish Football Association and has already engaged in dialogue with all of these football associations. FIFA will remain in close contact to seek to find appropriate and acceptable solutions together.

FIFA’s thoughts remain with everybody affected by this shocking and worrying situation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2022, 07:17:09 AM »
FIFA plan for Russian team to play international soccer matches has been branded ‘disgraceful’
By Ben Church, CNN

The president of the Polish Football Association has described FIFA’s plan to allow a Russian team to continue playing international soccer matches as “disgraceful.”

Football’s world governing body announced on Sunday that Russia must play all upcoming international fixtures on neutral sites without fans under the name “Football Union of Russia,” following the invasion of Ukraine.

“No flag or anthem of Russia will be used in matches where teams from the Football Union of Russia participate,” added FIFA, which said its measures were “in line with recommendations from the International Olympic Committee.”

Poland and Russia are scheduled to play in a World Cup playoff semifinal on March 24 on March 24 at the VTB Arena in Moscow.

Polish FA President Cezary Kulesza called the decision not to implement a total ban “unacceptable” and said that the Polish national team would not play Russia “no matter what the name of the team is.”

“Due to the disgraceful decision of FIFA, the Polish FA sent a letter today to all [football] federations in Europe,” Kulesza wrote on Twitter.

“We presented our position and encouraged them to stand by our side. Because only united we will be strong.

“No indulgence for Russian aggression against Ukraine!”

The winner of the scheduled playoff semi between Russia and Poland would host either Sweden or Czech Republic on March 29 for a place at the Qatar World Cup this year.

However, Czech Republic and Sweden as well as England and Wales have also said they will not play Russia for the foreseeable future.

In a statement on Monday, the Swedish FA said it was “disappointed” by FIFA’s stance and said it would “continue to work together with other federations to cancel Russia’s matches.”

Even before FIFA’s statement on Sunday, the Polish FA had said it wouldn’t play Russia in the World Cup playoff semifinal.

“I can’t imagine playing a match with the Russian National Team in a situation when armed aggression in Ukraine continues,” Bayern Munich and Poland striker Robert Lewandowski tweeted. “Russian footballers and fans are not responsible for this, but we can’t pretend that nothing is happening.”

1]; } ?>