March 28, 2024, 02:30:25 AM

Author Topic: Coincidence or a Deeper Problem?  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coincidence or a Deeper Problem?
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:34:53 AM »
Over the recent years, Trinidad and Tobago has produced a lot of top class juniors. Many seem to suffer injuries that hamstring (no pun intended) their careers and flounder after early promise - Getting to finals, maybe getting a medal, and all but disappearing altogether, or showing little improvement as they mature.  There are exceptions of course, but the list of consistent performers, multiple finalists or medalists are few. I know that we are a small country with a limited pool of talent, but from my fan vantage point, my national pride is deeply hurt when I see our promising athletes unable to maintain good performances but for one or two seasons. The reasons may range from: They have suffered severe injuries; or because ill-advised coaching changes have inhibited their development; younger competitors have surpassed them making it more difficult for them to overcome.  Is there an underlying problem? Here is a short list of names, and you can add to the list.  I will leave it up to you, the fans, to comment, make suggestions, or draw conclusions:
Richard Thompson - silver in Beijing, then not much
Darrel Brown - World youth star and nothing since
Mark Burns - Youth potential never translating to anticipated senior success
Jehue Gordon - after securing gold in 2013, its been down hill
Marcel Cedenio - any hope with the emerging 400 talent? What happened to the kick?
Deon Lendore - except for his college exploits, the path now does not look good
Mark London - double CARIFTA junior champion. Not heard of since.

Meanwhile, I applaud our consistent performers, past and present: Ato Boldon (definitely our most consistent performer), Cleopatra Borel-Brown, Keshorn Walcott, Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow
You can add to both lists.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2017, 08:07:59 AM by Storeboy »
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Coincidence or a Deeper Problem?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »
You're right spot on.

History shows us that we aren't managed properly. We haven't been able to rebound from the injuries.

Richards just EAT up the 200m. He slowed down with 20m and still ran 20.05.

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 06:29:08 PM »
Probably?  :rotfl:

BORN TO DO IT

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:40 PM »
I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say it might've been a typo ;D
But AB what you you think is our main reason for underperforming?

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 08:07:09 AM »

That should be "definitely!" My boo boo!  :rotfl: :rotfl:
And it has been edited. LOL  By the way, great jog in the booth as well!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 07:48:58 AM »
The list you have there is good, but i disagree with Marc Burns on that list.  He consistently made Finals over the years which is no easy feat.  Essentially, he was in the top 10 world sprinters for more than 5-6 years
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 08:47:44 AM »
To be an athlete of any sporting discipline is no easy feat in TT.  As much as we are disappointed by their "underachievements ", we must look at the impediments sports women and men have to encounter to get at least a bronze medal. It has to be a labor of LOVE for them. I don't see it any other way.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:49:52 AM by Deeks »

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 09:54:48 AM »
Over the recent years, Trinidad and Tobago has produced a lot of top class juniors. Many seem to suffer injuries that hamstring (no pun intended) their careers and flounder after early promise - Getting to finals, maybe getting a medal, and all but disappearing altogether, or showing little improvement as they mature.  There are exceptions of course, but the list of consistent performers, multiple finalists or medalists are few. I know that we are a small country with a limited pool of talent, but from my fan vantage point, my national pride is deeply hurt when I see our promising athletes unable to maintain good performances but for one or two seasons. The reasons may range from: They have suffered severe injuries; or because ill-advised coaching changes have inhibited their development; younger competitors have surpassed them making it more difficult for them to overcome.  Is there an underlying problem? Here is a short list of names, and you can add to the list.  I will leave it up to you, the fans, to comment, make suggestions, or draw conclusions:
Richard Thompson - silver in Beijing, then not much
Darrel Brown - World youth star and nothing since
Mark Burns - Youth potential never translating to anticipated senior success
Jehue Gordon - after securing gold in 2013, its been down hill
Marcel Cedenio - any hope with the emerging 400 talent? What happened to the kick?
Deon Lendore - except for his college exploits, the path now does not look good
Mark London - double CARIFTA junior champion. Not heard of since.

Meanwhile, I applaud our consistent performers, past and present: Ato Boldon (definitely our most consistent performer), Cleopatra Borel-Brown, Keshorn Walcott, Lalonde Gordon, Renny Quow
You can add to both lists.

jehue had injuries and changed coaches.
cedenio had injuries
Darrel brown numerous injuries
burns while no individual medals has been very consistent (regular finalist and played major roles in the relay teams success)
Richard did well until the injuries/car accident.  I think his lack of running the 200 impacted his success as well.

lendore had injuries. probably from extra heavy college schedule
London never did much outside of carifta.
renny quow cant be consider more considered than Burns IMO.

Ato has been the most consistent athlete and I cant recall him not handling his injuries well. as GOP said our guys are not handled well.  That is the big difference between them and Ato.

seems like Keshorn team is doing a good job handling his injuries.  He is very consistent.

I will add MLA and KAB to the consistent list.

General theme is good job of handling injuries = more consistent
poor handling = less consistency

Then you throw the lack of support and poor administration, it is a miracle we make a lot of finals and even win some medals.

1]; } ?>