April 23, 2024, 11:47:00 AM

Author Topic: Clive Pantin has died  (Read 1341 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Clive Pantin has died
« on: September 30, 2017, 12:16:25 PM »
Clive Pantin has died
T&T Newsday

Clive Pantin - husband, father, teacher, sportsman, community, sport and social activist, former Principal of Fatima College, founder of Foundation for the Enhancement and Enrichment of Life (FEEL) and a former Minister of Education - has passed away.

The news came this morning when his daughter took to social media to share that her father had died.

He was 84.

Pantin was the brother to late Archbishop Anthony Pantin, and came from a family that all devoted themselves to bettering the country and serving the Roman Catholic church.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Clive Pantin has died
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 12:17:18 PM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 12:34:03 PM »
In case allyuh eh know, Clive Pantin used to play for T&T in de late 1950s.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 01:06:44 PM »
Condolences to the Pantin. He definitely did a lot in the social work field. He was involved in SERVOL, I believe.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 03:11:21 PM »
Pantin's last yr. at Fatima was my first.

A legend.

Played football and hockey for TT and First.. Div cricket.

At one point coached a young Gally Cummings at Fatima.

VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 10:04:11 PM »
In case allyuh eh know, Clive Pantin used to play for T&T in de late 1950s.

RIP Mr Pantin

many play ball for national team before we even gain Independence yes

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 10:11:49 AM »
RIP Mr Pantin and condolences to the Pantin family.  I attended Fatima while he was principal.  His son Michael was in my class and his eldest son Bernard was also at Fatima at the same time.

Mr Pantin was many things....educator, sportsman, counselor, benefactor, visionary, mentor to many, family man.  In summary....he was a good man and left a lasting legacy of which he can be very proud.

When I first got to Fatima, I was excited because the school had a rep...especially in sports and I was anxious to play football and cricket to represent the school.

But the year I got to Fatima, Mr Pantin pulled the team out of the then CFL (Colleges Football League) to protest the proliferation of overaged players at other schools.  He fet it was unfair and his sense of integrity made him feel he had to take some sort of tangoible action to demonstrate his feeling on the matter.

It was a heavy price to pay.  But instead of Fatima wallowing in CFL limbo, no intercol and the prestige that accompanied that competition etc.....he developed the House League

The House League comprised of different "houses".  I can't remember them all but there was Archbishop, Corcoran, Craigwell, Stewart are the ones I can remember.  Students were assigned to a particular house on a random basis.  And so we played football...everyone.  It dodn't matter your talent level.

That system however, unearthed some major talent who may have otherwise been lost to the usual set of players that would usually represent the school.     Players like Lester Joseph and Curtis Marcellin...who weren't necessarily known as "footballers" in school became key members of Fatima teams.

Garnet Craig wasn't discovered that way but he too played house football.  After seeing Garnet in action, someone noticed a sports article that gave the scores in the Eastern Football League and a G Craig scoring a goal for Blackpool.  So they inquired if that could possibly be Garnet and lo and behold, it was.  A 17 year old playing among men.

That House League helped to hone the skills of players so that when Fatima decided to rejoin the CFL, and Fatima had to start in the Championship Division (not the 1st Division), we had an extremely strong team.  That year, we won every game in the Championship Division, won A colts, B colts, and U 14.  And I strongly believe that House League had a major role to play in that. 

Once promoted to the CFL 1st division, Fatima was a force to be reckoned with for years to come....in large part as a result of that House League and the foundation it set.

So...here's to you Mr Clive Pantin.  Much respect and thank you for all that you've done for us. 

Oh.....and one more thing.  Thank you for hiring Ms. Zakour.  I believe at the time she was the first female teaching in an all male school.  I look back now and don't know how she handled the raging hormones of teenage boys at the time...but DAMN!  She was a looker and sexy as hell.  Oh yeah...she taught French too.  ;D

Nitendo Vinces
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 05:54:32 PM »

Well said Palos.  :beermug:

I was convinced that Ms. Zakour was going to be the future Mrs. VB.

As sweet as she was beautiful. I had size in those days and used to threaten the whole Form I class for talking too much and giving her stress.

Colin Bell (bless his heart) used to vacate the seat in our bench so that when she wanted to observe the class from the back, she would sit next to me.

Clive wasn't easy nah, a legend in Education and a great organiser. There was a void when he left Fatima.

I still remember the time he take two days off and just walk around with a strap looking for deviants. Man was shaking yes.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 07:25:07 PM »
RIP

Fatima boys come answer to you call

1]; } ?>