March 28, 2024, 05:47:15 AM

Author Topic: the Ravi Rampaul thread  (Read 1685 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
the Ravi Rampaul thread
« on: October 15, 2017, 03:34:59 AM »

LONDON,  CMC – English County Derbyshire have snapped up out-of-favour West Indies pacer Ravi Rampaul on a three-year deal.

The Trinidadian, who last represented the Caribbean side in any format two years ago, has been signed as a non-overseas player and will be available for all formats, the club announced.

It means Rampaul has ruled himself out of next year’s Caribbean Premier League, where he has turned out for Barbados Tridents in recent seasons.

“I’m grateful to Derbyshire for giving me this opportunity to extend my career in England and play across all forms,” said the 32-year-old Rampaul.

“The club has ambitious plans for the years ahead and I’m excited by what we can achieve. Hopefully I can play my part, not only on the field helping to win games of cricket, but also help the younger guys in the dressing room.”

Rampaul turned out for Surrey last season, grabbing 18 wickets at an average of 24 to help the London club reach the final of the Royal London One-Day Cup where they eventually lost to Nottinghamshire.

However, he featured in just two County Championship games, taking three wickets and claimed four wickets in as many T20 matches.

A member of the successful Windies squad which won the T20 World Cup five years ago, Rampaul has also played 18 Tests and 92 One-Day Internationals but has fallen out of favour in recently times.

Derbyshire’s Cricket Advisor, Kim Barnett said he expected the club to benefit greatly from Rampaul’s experience.

“We identified new ball bowling as an area we wanted to strengthen for 2018, and we’re delighted to secure someone of the calibre of Ravi,” he said.

“He is highly skilled and vastly experienced, with over 100 internationals under his belt, and he will give us the additional firepower we needed alongside the likes of Hardus Viljoen and Will Davis.”

He added: “Ravi will be available for all forms and has committed to Derbyshire full time, ruling out any clashes with the CPL during the English domestic season.

“It’s a massive coup for the club and shows our intent that we want to build on the progress we made in 2017 and kick on in 2018 and beyond.”
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 10:52:42 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
the Ravi Rampaul thread
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 05:33:06 PM »
http://zeenews.india.com/sports/cricket/ravi-rampaul-reveals-shocking-reason-for-not-being-picked-in-west-indian-team_1881805.html

Rampaul too fat on TV

New Delhi: West Indian Cricket Board has been criticised a lot by many cricket pundits over the years for their unacceptable behaviour towards their own players.

Though the major concern has always been related to the pay scale of the cricketers, West Indian pacer Ravi Rampaul lambasted the cricket board for keeping him on the sidelines for a considerable amount due to an awkward reason.

In a candid chat with Cricbuzz, Rampaul revealed that he was once told by a West Indies selector that the factor working behind him not being picked for the national squad had more to do with how he looked on tv than how he bowled.

Rampaul, said that despite being declared as a field-fit player by Caribbean physio Ronald Rogers, he was looked upon as fat and unfit. “Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I have heard that (he is too fat) a lot throughout my career. I train and practice as much as I can because, as I said before, cricket is all that I have. Every time I played for West Indies and any other team, I always give 100%. I was told once by a selector that it’s not how I bowl but how I look on television – (that) was the reason I was not selected,” said the player.

The bowler concluded saying that even if there is a change in the selection committee, he will pursue his career as a Kolpak cricketer only. “I won’t give it up (his Kolpak status). My family and I, we are well taken care of in England, and it’s good knowing that I have a two-year contract rather than guessing when next I would be selected for the West Indies. It’s comforting and secure and its already showing in my game,” he concluded.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 05:35:12 PM by vb »
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>