March 28, 2024, 10:34:02 AM

Author Topic: NIT WC: Tournament for the losers  (Read 1936 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NIT WC: Tournament for the losers
« on: November 15, 2017, 05:49:19 PM »
I just saw on the espn and fox sports shows, that the US is trying to organize a tournament just before the WC next year for the BIG NAME TEAMS that did not qualify. US, ITALY, GHANA, HOLLAND, probably both IRISH nations, CHILE and maybel PERU if they allow NZ to beat them at home. You would think they would mention the MIGHTY CARIBBEAN GIANT KILLERS, TRINIDAD AND TOOBAAGO. Bet anyone TT get invited. ;D
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:51:01 PM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: NIT WC: Tournament for the losers
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 07:39:58 PM »
Just last week I was thinking it would be kicks to have a tournament like this.  ;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:22 PM »
I just saw on the espn and fox sports shows, that the US is trying to organize a tournament just before the WC next year for the BIG NAME TEAMS that did not qualify. US, ITALY, GHANA, HOLLAND, probably both IRISH nations, CHILE and maybel PERU if they allow NZ to beat them at home. You would think they would mention the MIGHTY CARIBBEAN GIANT KILLERS, TRINIDAD AND TOOBAAGO. Bet anyone TT get invited. ;D

Yez. I seen it. It wouldn't be such a bad idea. FIFA might even run with that idea. FIFA trying to make more cash cows. They don't want to rely on the wc tournament to make money.

It will make sense for the US to invite TT. My invites would be:

US host

UEFA
Italy
Czech Republic
Netherlands
Ireland
Greece

CONMEBOL
Chile
Ecuador
Paraguay

CAF
Ghana
Cote d'Ivoire
Cameroon

ASF
Syria

OFC
New Zealand

CONCACAF
USA (Host)
Trinidad & Tobago
Honduras

I could easily switch Honduras with a UEFA team. But in all fairness Honduras did make the playoff, Just like NZ.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 11:16:48 AM »
From what I've so far Jamaica is the only Caribbean country on initial list. Things could change but T&T should be proactive and express interest, don't wait on an invitation because it may never come.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 12:23:43 PM »
TT won’t express interest, ttfa is under manners, concacaf doesn’t want TT to progress to where it should be in football, essentially a giant killer

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:50:12 AM »
FIFA will not back this play as it would detract from the World Cup. I don't see this going anywhere.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:55:06 AM »
FIFA will not back this play as it would detract from the World Cup. I don't see this going anywhere.

I agree that FIFA will not be keen in sanctioning this tournament.  Clubs will not be keen on allowing their players to participate in a tournament of no value and risk injury. 
The US can go ahead and still schedule the competition but I expect most teams (except US) fielding "B" squads.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:51:16 AM »
For the "poor" associations, this tournament with B squad will be good for them. Especially if the price is right.
The Euros don't have to play. They are financially stable. As long as the tournament don't run
as the same time with the WC.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
World Cup of losers Thread
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:59:55 AM »
US Soccer may invite Scotland to play in 'World Cup of losers' with eight-team event being considered.
By Mark Walker For The Scottish Daily Mail

Scotland could be invited to a 'World Cup of losers' being proposed by the USA for countries who failed to qualify for next year's finals.

The concept of a bizarre alternative to Russia 2018 has gained some momentum in the States after former champions Italy were knocked out by Sweden earlier this week.

The list of nations missing from next summer's tournament includes the Americans, Holland, Chile, Ivory Coast, Cameroon and Ghana as well as the Scots, Wales, Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland.

Now US Soccer chiefs have confirmed they are exploring the possibility of an eight-team event for the also-rans, to take place in the period before the World Cup starts on June 14 next year.

Scotland, who are still seeking a replacement for Gordon Strachan after his failure to lead them to the finals, currently have no games scheduled for next year. They have been approached to play in Morocco in March, with the Moroccans also trying to persuade Argentina to play in a three-team mini-league.

The Scots begin Nations League qualifiers next September and their new manager will be looking for friendlies to play before then.

It remains to be seen, however, if they would even be deemed worthy of an invite if the American plan ever comes to fruition.

Michael Lewis, who has been writing about football in the USA for almost 40 years, is cynical about US Soccer's reasons for touting such a tournament.

Their football federation will be desperate to make up the £10million they have missed out on from FIFA for qualifying. And American media outlets also need to recoup their money after spending millions on the TV rights for a World Cup which will have no US involvement.

'This seems like a money-making idea,' he told BBC Sport. 'They would think about it as a positive revenue stream.

'I'm pretty sure the Italy players would rather go on holiday.

'I would also expect teams to field inexperienced players - that certainly would not help with the development of the US national team.'

The USA missed out on the World Cup after losing 2-1 at Trinidad and Tobago last month.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-5091439/USA-invite-Scotland-play-World-Cup-losers.html

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 11:15:22 AM »
It will be cowardly for the US to not invite the nation that put them in this situation. .

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 11:59:17 AM »
It will be cowardly for the US to not invite the nation that put them in this situation. .
The US is looking at the bottom line in terms of inviting eligible teams that will attract the most revenue, unfortunately imo T&T is not seen as a team that they can sell to acquire sponsorships to host as we don't have a big enough draw. We should contact the US Ferderation and express our support and interest in this initiative. Not sit idle and wait on an invitation.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 12:46:30 PM »
Well, DJW should be thinking outside the box on this one. Everything goes thru him. It is a no brainer. This tournament would  be ideal for the young players. They will get quality opponents. Not Grenada and Guyana, as some on the forum don’t care for. At this point beggars cant be choosers. Yes, TT may not be a big name but on a given day we do shock some of the big names.

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 11:41:29 PM »
Well, DJW should be thinking outside the box on this one. Everything goes thru him. It is a no brainer. This tournament would  be ideal for the young players. They will get quality opponents. Not Grenada and Guyana, as some on the forum don’t care for. At this point beggars cant be choosers. Yes, TT may not be a big name but on a given day we do shock some of the big names.

Or we could host our own little mini tournament with maybe what you would call tier 2 teams that did not qualify but was close to qualifying

1]; } ?>