March 28, 2024, 02:21:44 AM

Poll

Can the Soca Warriors pull through the first rounds?

Yes
6 (42.9%)
No
8 (57.1%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Author Topic: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread  (Read 27868 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup Thread
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2019, 06:44:47 PM »

La Pizarra del DT, a South America based football platform, with media and football technicians as functionaries across South America, Central America and Mexico, has published digital magazines in anticipation of the Copa América and the Gold Cup (Copa Oro).

The digital magazines present historical background and tactical analysis of the teams in both tournaments.

Socawarriors.net was approached by La Pizarra's team in Argentina to contribute to the Gold Cup project.

In English "la pizarra" translates as "blackboard" or, these days, a "whiteboard". The name "La Pizarra del DT" refers to the surface on which a coach sketches or presents his or her tactical scheme.

Our modest contribution, and the final product, can be viewed via the link here or directly at this link.

We were?

Live and direct.  :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2019, 06:27:18 PM »
No Marcus Joseph. Bet yuh there's a story there.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 09, 2019, 11:59:25 AM »
Can Bou Play's Leland Archer called up to Gold Cup
https://www.canbouplayfoundation.com/leland-archer-called-up-for-gold-cu

One of Can Bou Play's newest members, Leland Archer has been called up to the Trinidad and Tobago National Senior Men's team for the 2019 Gold Cup.

​While Archer has represented T&T at youth level, this is his first selection on the senior squad and it's an opportunity that he is relishing.

​"It's always a privilege to play for your country, especially now at the highest level. So I think that it's an honor being called up to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the Gold Cup," said the Charleston Battery defender Archer.

​"It's a big tournament but I think we have a good group of boys here and it will be a good tournament."

​Trinidad and Tobago will open their 2019 Gold Cup duties when they face Panama on 18 June, before battling USA and Guyana on the 22nd and 26th June.

​One player who knows exactly what Archer is going through is CBP founder Yohance Marshall.

​Four years ago at the 2015 Gold Cup, Marshall starred for Trinidad and Tobago and scored the last gasp header versus Mexico in the scintillating 4-4 stalemate that many regard as the greatest Gold Cup match of all time.

"It's huge for him! I'm just glad and happy for him that he could get the opportunity," stated Marshall about Archer's call up.

"The opportunity to play for your country, in a competitive environment and in a competitive tournament is something completely out of this world. You see the difference with how that experience is really supposed to be. It's intense."

"I've represented T&T in the CFU too but its different when it comes to the Gold Cup. You come up against top quality opponents. And just the stadiums and the environments that you going to go into, the crowds, the fans, 50,000 every game. That experience you will remember for the rest of your life."

​"I just want him to enjoy it and soak it all in."

​Archer joined up with the squad in L.A. after T&T's friendly international in Japan and will be eyeing a place in the team as Dennis Lawrence's unit play their final warm up match versus Canada on 10 June.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sancho: Gold Cup will be tough for T&T
« Reply #63 on: June 09, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »
Sancho: Gold Cup will be tough for T&T
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER T&T central defender Brent Sancho says the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup will be tough for TT.

The bi-annual tournament will run from June 15 to July 7 with a total of 16 teams participating at venues in the United States, Costa Rica and Jamaica.

T&T were placed in Group D alongside Guyana, Panama and United States.

The national team's first game will be on June 18 against 2018 World Cup participants Panama, who placed fifth in the 2017 Gold Cup.

T&T, who failed to qualify for the 2017 edition, have never reached a Gold Cup final. In 2015, they reached the quarter-finals under then coach Stephen Hart, but their best performance was in 2000 when they made it to the semi-finals under Bertille St Clair.

Sancho said that while the team has been defending well, more goals and more possession is crucial if they want to achieve this. The team lost 1-0 in a friendly match against Wales in March and drew 0-0 with Japan on Wednesday.

"We haven't looked dangerous, we haven't been very possessive. Possessing the ball is so important in international football, it's so important that you spend that time on the ball," Sancho said. "We haven't scored much. Gold Cup games tend to be tight. If I were to go on what I've seen, we don't really have a potent 'out there' striker. Goals win matches."

T&T winger Cordell Cato scored three goals in 11 appearances for his USL (United Soccer League) Championship club Oklahoma City for the 2018/2019 season, and Neveal Hackshaw netted twice, in 11 appearances, for Indy Eleven.

Sancho, however, commended the squad on its recent draw against Japan. He says although they gave an "average" performance, they defended well.

"To fly to Japan and play the 26th ranked team in the world and draw is very commendable," he said. "But as well as we've been defending, if one of the boys could put on their scoring boots for the Gold Cup, that would be good."

He added that it is the most organised T&T squad he has seen in years.

The squad was announced on Wednesday by his former national teammate, current coach Dennis Lawrence.

Ross Russell Jr, Willis Plaza, and Aubrey David did not secure US travel visas in time, and are unable to participate in the tournament.

T&T Gold Cup squad

GOALKEEPERS: Adrian Foncette, Marvin Phillip, Gregory Ranjitsingh

DEFENDERS: Leland Archer, Daneil Cyrus, Curtis Gonzales, Alvin Jones, Carlyle Mitchell, Mekeil Williams.

MIDFIELDERS: Cordell Cato, Kevan George, Neveal Hackshaw, Akeem Humphrey, Khaleem Hyland, Joevin Jones, Nathan Lewis, Kevin Molino, Duane Muckette, Leston Paul, Jomal Williams.

FORWARDS: Levi Garcia, Lester Peltier, Shahdon Winchester.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 10, 2019, 09:57:36 AM »
I’m really scared for the future of this team. reasons for my apprehension is for the simple fact that Levi garcia, neval hackshaw and Alvin Jones are the only stand outs who have at least two world cup qualifying left in them, all the rest are on their way out after this gold cup.

It’s worrisome that we don’t have a fair number of prospects coming up in the national set up to replace stand out players like molino 29- jovin 27- guerra 30- Peltier 31- in fact The Whole back line is over 28 yrs old with the exception if tristen hodges and Alvin jones and are on their way out after this world cup2022 and I don’t see any youth players that’s waiting in the wings to replace them. extremely worrisome indeed.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:00:33 AM by pull stones »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 10, 2019, 10:10:15 AM »
Is Guerra injured? I haven't heard anything about him in a while and he's not listed in our GC squad.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 10, 2019, 10:22:10 AM »
Guerra asked to be excused for reasons unknown.....I’m guessing it’s because of issues personal in nature.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 11:04:54 AM by pull stones »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 10, 2019, 10:40:00 AM »
Guerra asked to be excuse for reasons unknown.....I’m guessing it’s because of issues personal in nature.
:beermug: Thanks!

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2019, 07:02:39 AM »
US and Guyana are coming off  back to back losses.  US went down1-0 to Jamaica and 3-0 to Venezuela and  Guyana lost 1-0 to Bermuda and 3-1 lost to Haiti in less than week. You will see a different USMNT for the Gold cup. Some significant changes are happening as we speak. The US roster for the upcoming gold cup will be far different than the one that played Venezuela and Jamaica.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 07:18:16 AM by truehaitian »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2019, 07:45:42 AM »
US and Guyana are coming off  back to back losses.  US went down1-0 to Jamaica and 3-0 to Venezuela and  Guyana lost 1-0 to Bermuda and 3-1 lost to Haiti in less than week. You will see a different USMNT for the Gold cup. Some significant changes are happening as we speak. The US roster for the upcoming gold cup will be far different than the one that played Venezuela and Jamaica.
That is for sure.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #70 on: June 13, 2019, 12:44:07 AM »
T&T's men stay focused ahead of Gold Cup opener.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team arrived in Minneapolis in good spirits on Tuesday night ahead of their opening 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup encounter with Panama next Tuesday.

On the back of a 2-0 defeat to Canada on Monday, captain Khaleem Hyland and his teammates were back on the training field as head coach Dennis Lawrence conducted a training session on Wednesday afternoon.

Despite Monday’s loss, Hyland said there was a lot to anticipate ahead of the competition.

“The Canada game is out of the way. Yes it is disappointing to have lost the game and we were hoping to have something positive going into our first game but there were a few goos things we could take out of the match which I am certain and the coach and the technical staff will take this and use it to our benefit going into the Panama game,” Hyland told TTFA Media.

“The main thing is we have the full squad together and it was good to see guys like Kevin (Molino) and Cordell Cato getting game time and we had Greg (Ranjitsingh) also getting his first match for us. The other thing for us is that we are tight as a group and there ’s is an all for one one for all mentality within the squad which we will take into the Gold Cup,” Hyland said.

US-based defender Mekeil Williams said he was optimistic that the results would begin going in T&T’s favour.

“The performance and result against Japan was massive for us. We’ve been working hard and playing well for some time. We haven’t been getting the results but we have kept doing what the coach asked of us and the draw came. It has helped with our confidence going into the Gold Cup and I think it’s just a matter of time before the results start going our way.

“The Gold Cup is like our World Cup in the region. It’s exciting for us and something we are all looking forward to. If you look back at our past two Gold Cups, especially the last one in 2015, we started well. We had the 3-1 win over Guatemala last time after losing our final warm up to Jordan. We have an experienced squad now with Khaleem, Molino, Cyrus and a lot of the guys who have Gold Cup experience under their belts. We all have been playing together for a long time and we have a good friendship and bond both on and off the field. The key for us is to put the final puzzle together for the matches coming up and hopefully we can get that done for Panama on Tuesday,” Williams said.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2019, 12:45:42 AM »
T&T not intimidated by World Cup opponents in Gold Cup opener.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago will not be intimidated by the fact that they will face a Panama team that is coming off a World Cup appearance at Russia 2018 when both teams face off with each other in the Group D Gold Cup 2019 opener at the Allianz Field in Minnesota on Tuesday.

This was the feedback coming out of the T&T camp on Thursday as T&T continued their build up in Minneapolis ahead of the opening clash with training sessions at Blaine  Soccer Complex in Minneapolis which is also used by Kevin Molino’s club Minnesota United.

The conditions have been conducive for training with a slight chill throughout the day into late evening.

“I don’t think we have anything to be intimidated by. Yes Panama went to the last World Cup but we were able to get a win against them in the home qualifier. The key to us is to take it step by step and game by game. You always want to start with a win so we will be definitely going for that,” Alvin Jones told TTFA Media.

“The Japan game showed that we can match the top teams once we stay organised and disciplined. We know what we need to do in terms of our attack and we’ve been working on it. The group is going to be tough but it is not a challenge that we are not capable of overcoming. We have to work on what we need to in these next few days and take it into the match on Tuesday,” added the Oklahoma City Energy player.

His US-based teammate Leston Paul is also expecting T&T to pull out the stops from game one.

“Everyone is fully aware of the importance of this tournament. I am looking forward to it just as any other player. We all know this is the top level tournament of the region. The preparations have been good. Not just the Panama game but we had some quality friendlies before where we had to test ourselves against Wales, Iran and Thailand. Now it’s just about fine tuning and having everyone on he same page,” Paul said.

“My love for the sport and the national team keeps me going. Football is my motivation,” Paul added when asked what keeps him inspired for the game.

“So far qualifying for the Under 17 World Cup in 2007 and then the Under 20s in 200 but at the senior level it would have been the win over the US in 2017. Of course this being my first Goal Cup I am hugely motivated as I think we can do something of great significance here. We know about the rematch with the US but we need to start strongly against Panama and I think we have what it takes to start on the right note,” he said.

“We want to win this Gold Cup. That is how high we’ve set the bar for ourselves.”

With the Gold Cup kicking off on Saturday at the Rose Bown in Pasadena with Canada facing Martinique, Forbes has tipped Trinidad and Tobago as one of the teams to advance to the quarter finals. Forbes.com stated the following as the teams to advance – Quarter-finals: Mexico, Canada, Costa Rica, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, USA, and Trinidad and Tobago.

Meantime, LA Galaxy II midfielder Ernesto Walker has been added to the 23-player roster for the Gold Cup after Panamanian midfielder Aníbal Godoy has been ruled out of the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup due to injury.

Walker received his first senior call up with Panama earlier this year against the U.S. Men’s National Team in January.
The Gold Cup fever is beginning to grip the host cities and as part of its commitment to the football community, Allstate announced today it will designate an official “Day for Play” in select 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup™ cities ahead of key tournament matches. Free and open to the public, the Allstate “Day for Play” encourages soccer fans and players alike to get outside and celebrate their passion and love for the sport.

As a three-time sponsor of the biennial tournament, Allstate continues to reinforce its dedication to protecting the future of the game and its passionate fanbase. Allstate “Day for Play” celebrations will include pop-up soccer challenges and ticket giveaways ahead of select Gold Cup Tournament matches.

Preparing for Matchday in Minnesota

RELATED NEWS

Gold Cup is T&T's chance at success.
By Alvin Corneal (Guardian).

In all my years of be­ing part of our foot­ball de­vel­op­ment, I have found it very dif­fi­cult to un­der­stand how or which route we took to bring our foot­ball to its present dis­ar­ray.

I would have dis­card­ed the de­tails of the past and looked for­ward to an im­proved state in the near fu­ture, es­pe­cial­ly as we are now geared with some tru­ly tal­ent­ed play­ers and a coach who seems to be very fo­cused on tak­ing our foot­ball to the next lev­el and get­ting all our play­ers, lo­cal and over­seas-based, in readi­ness for the next week's CON­CA­CAF Gold Cup kick-off.

The news which came out of the cor­ri­dors of the TTFA re­gard­ing the de­ci­sion to by­pass the Olympic qual­i­fy­ing tour­na­ment, de­spite near qual­i­fi­ca­tion when we just missed en­try to the fi­nal in Eng­land 2012, is dis­turb­ing.

This de­ci­sion means that hun­dreds of teenage foot­ballers and young men will have lost the op­por­tu­ni­ty to de­vel­op their game at the Olympic lev­el. We must now re­place that short­com­ing with one of the or­gan­ised com­pe­ti­tions which are held in the USA, Brazil, France and Eng­land.

How­ev­er, the Con­ca­caf tour­na­ment which starts next Tues­day for our team against Pana­ma in Min­neapo­lis, USA, may well be a glo­ri­ous step to bring­ing some re­spect for the coun­tries in the re­gion.

Af­ter the dif­fi­cul­ties which the team faced with visa prob­lems, the team can get still some en­cour­age­ment af­ter the goal­less match against Japan and the 2-0 loss against Cana­da on Mon­day.

I have al­ways felt that when play­ing away against teams with sim­i­lar stan­dards of play, the host coun­try would be two goals bet­ter be­fore the whis­tle blows, main­ly through the at­mos­phere of huge crowd sup­port, the in­con­ve­nience of fly­ing across time zones, vary­ing meal pat­terns and most of all long trav­el­ling, as was ex­pe­ri­enced en route to Japan last week and then back to North Amer­i­ca.

As to the ac­tu­al Gold Cup open­ing match, I ex­pect that Pana­ma is def­i­nite­ly with­in our vic­to­ry radar. They have not demon­strat­ed the strength of or­gan­i­sa­tion­al play which could re­tain a clean sheet. The team has two cen­tral de­fend­ers who have been los­ing their com­pe­tence over the past two years. Their re­cent friend­lies have not said much, es­pe­cial­ly against Ja­maica, whose phys­i­cal and tac­ti­cal game had brought some dis­com­fort to Pana­ma's “age­ing” de­fence.

I reck­on that the speed and clin­i­cal ac­cu­ra­cy of pass­ing by the Japan­ese, plus the rigours of Cana­di­an-type play, may have been the ide­al prepa­ra­tion les­son for T&T. From what I saw of Cana­da, they are ex­cel­lent sup­port­ers of ball win­ning. This means their op­po­nents (T&T in this case) must utilise quick ro­ta­tions among the mid­field­ers and make use of the pen­e­tra­tive pass­es to our quick-foot­ed for­wards.

A vic­to­ry against Pana­ma is vi­tal be­cause the USA, our next op­po­nent, will prob­a­bly de­feat Guyana by a heavy mar­gin. Readi­ness for any op­po­nent is a pri­or­i­ty for Den­nis and his team. To my mind, there is a chance for our na­tion­al team to step in­to the next round.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 12:48:46 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2019, 07:11:04 AM »
Gardner tips T&T to progress.
TTFA Media.

Cyrus wants strong start at Gold Cup.

As Trinidad and Tobago counts down to its opening match at the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup on Tuesday against Panama, former Jamaican English-based stand out Ricardo Gardner is tipping both T&T and Jamaica to push themselves to the limit in this year’s edition of the competition. Gardner says it about time both teams carry the Caribbean’s hopes at the competition and further into the 2022 World Cup qualifiers.

It’s great for our region to see Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago and so many other Caribbean teams involved in the Gold Cup,” Gardner told TTFA Media recently

“It’s now just up to us to take advantage of this opportunity and stamp our authority in the region. It would be great to see one of these teams go on to win the Gold Cup. Jamaica has gotten to two finals and now it would be good to see more teams from the region making it that far and going all the way.

The former Bolton Wanderers left winger who has 111 appearances for Jamaica said he would fancy seeing T&T and Jamaica in Qatar 2022.

“I think definitely the potential is there. We just have to keep working and developing as a football nation and making use of the opportunities like the Gold Cup and the Nations League and just keep building… would be great to see these countries together at the next World Cup,” Gardner added.

As T&T continued its preparations at the Blaine Soccer Complex in Minnesota, T&T defender Daneil Cyrus wants to see his team take charge from the onset.

“We have to be switched on from the start. All now we are focused on Panama but when we get on the pitch we have to settle early and take the game to them. Our first game is the most important at this time because the group looks tough on paper but we know what we are capable of,” Cyrus told TTFA Media.

“The main thing is for us to start fast and maintain the pressure on the opponent. The moment we lapse we know we can get punished. So far we have been working some serious sessions to correct our weak areas and to try and polish up where we need to. Tuesday’s match is a big moment for us. I have close to 80 caps already but there are some first timers in the team who I know are very anxious to play in the Gold Cup and they will be looking to make the most of it,” Cyrus added.

T&T faces Panama in the first game of a double header on Tuesday at the Allianz Field in Minnesota. USA takes on Guyana in the second fixture on the night.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2019, 06:50:33 PM »
way de canadians!?!  :D

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2019, 08:03:31 PM »
What networks are carrying the games? I looked on Sports Max and Flow Sports Schedules and zilch. Copa America on the schedule but not Gold Cup/Copa Oro.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2019, 05:47:57 AM »
way de canadians!?!  :D

They beat Martinique yesterday.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #76 on: June 16, 2019, 07:59:02 AM »
Williams vows to push for glory at Gold Cup.
TTFA Media.

From Piccadilly to Allianz Field

Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Jomal Williams is banking on the right combination of youth, experience and strong team chemistry to push the national team through at the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Williams, a 25-year-old W Connection player from Piccadilly Street in Port of Spain is currently in Minnesota with the Senior Team preparing for Tuesday’s opener against Panama at the Allianz Field.

The former Mexican-based midfielder scored two first half goals to pace T&T to a 7-0 win over local club team Minnesota Eclipse in a training match at the Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium on Thursday evening. T&T’s other goals were scored by Levi Garcia, a penalty by Kevin Molino, Nathan Lewis and one each from Cordell Cato and Shahdon Winchester.

“We are coming together nicely at the moment,” Williams told TTFA Media. “You could never really do enough or think that you have done enough because in your mind there’s always more to be done but at this time I think we are putting in the work and should be ready in time for Panama,” he added.

“It’s a challenging assignment but we came to do something at this Gold Cup. We’ve been working for a long time for this.

“To some extent we know that we are outsiders because all the talk is about USA and Mexico and well Panama has been to the last World Cup and Jamaica were in the last two finals. But we use that as motivation to prove them otherwise. We know it’s going to be difficult but we have shown that we can compete once we put out heads together and play to our best,” Williams added.

Williams wants to represent his home community and the only way he knows is by putting his best out on the pitch.

“It hasn’t been easy coming from Piccadilly street. There are a lot of distractions and if you don’t have a strong head it can break you. People don’t really class where I come from as a good place to live but as I see it as one of my obstacles that I need to cross in my life and it just motivates be to go on do better. I grow with these people so I understand them and I just try to live in love with everyone,” he said.

“It’s most important to represent my people, my community and my country. I feel very happy to be able to show not just Trinidad and Tobago by also the world that coming from Piccadilly street, coming from Laventille, there are good things coming from them and it’s a happy feeling to be able to represent where I am from. This keeps motivated and keeps me going because I know there are a lot of young kids looking up at me and I have a responsibility that i need to keep moving forward to show them that aye look, we can still become something regardless of where we come from,” Williams said.

And the Gold Cup stage will be the main stage for him over the next two weeks.

“It is something I’ve always wanted to achieve… playing in a Gold Cup with the national team. What has motivated me the most is the gaffer (Dennis Lawrence). He has always showed belief in me and I’m just working hard everyday to make it.”

“Playing with Hyland and Molino and the rest of the guys is an honour. They motivate me a lot on the training pitch. Playing with these guys gives you no choice but to want to play football. The difference in the squad when it comes to the competitiveness to earn spots is who wants it more and then it’s up to the gaffer to select who he wants on the field,” Williams continued.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 16, 2019, 04:53:58 PM »
Bermuda looking real good vs Haiti, could have easily been 3 up at HT.  1-0 Bermuda
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2019, 05:02:53 PM »
Bermuda looking real good vs Haiti, could have easily been 3 up at HT.  1-0 Bermuda

Man, you eh lying. Bermuda holding their own. Should have been 2 up. But both teams playing well.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2019, 05:19:24 PM »
1- 1. Haiti now fighting back.

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 16, 2019, 05:23:49 PM »
And like Bermuda fall asleep
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 16, 2019, 07:00:13 PM »
And like Bermuda fall asleep

They telele. They just dropped off in the second half. Haiti like they were toying with them. Bermuda should have taken their first half chances.

Costa Rica already 2 up on Nicaragua.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago ready for Gold Cup opener
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2019, 12:19:07 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago ready for Gold Cup opener
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s entered official CONCACAF competition time and territory on Sunday, matchday-2 ahead of Tuesday’s CONCACAF Gold Cup 2019 opener against Panama at the Allianz Field in Minnesota.

Head coach Dennis Lawrence oversaw an afternoon training session at the Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium as the team settled back at the team hotel for the remainder of the day. The team contingent took part in CONCACAF Team Arrival meetings and passport checks. The official training will take place at the game venue on Monday evening while Lawrence will also attend the official Pre-match press conference along with a player.

“The mood is quite good and everyone is staying switched on in terms of our focus and mission for the opening match on Tuesday,” team skipper Khaleem Hyland told TTFA Media.

“We’ve had some good, solid sessions including today’s one and the vibe and focus is up at the moment. It’s now about being mentally ready, taking care of what we need to in terms of preparation and going into the game knowing what we are here for,” he added.

Israel-based winger Levi Garcia is also anticipating his first Gold Cup appearance. “It’s a huge moment for me as a young player and someone who has never been to the Gold Cup before. But all in all,  I think all the players know how major this is for us. We want to make a big impression and to do that we need to play well and get good results. We are going to give it everything and hopefully we’ll make a strong start in our first game against Panama,” Garcia said.

In related news, defender Aubrey David will join the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s team for the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Following a lengthy delay, David was granted his US Visa on Friday and will link up with his teammates in the United States. He will come into the 23-man squad for Charleston Battery defender Leland Archer who will leave the camp on Wednesday following the opening group match versus Panama on Tuesday.David who plays for Deportivo Saprissa in Costa Rica,  will join the T&T squad in Minnesota on Sunday and will train with the squad ahead of Tuesday’s encounter for which he is eligible.

The T&T team has a used facility which has some interesting history to it. Thanks to a generous gift of US$900,000 from Deborah Olson, given in the name of her mother Elizabeth Lyle Robbie, and $1.2 million appropriated from the Minnesota state legislature, the University of Minnesota soccer program built a home of its own in the Elizabeth Lyle Robbie Stadium. Elizabeth Lyle Robbie became the first female owner of a professional sports franchise in the United States when she purchased the Miami Toros soccer team in the mid-’70s. The Toros then moved to Fort Lauderdale, Fla., before relocating to the Twin Cities and becoming the Minnesota Strikers between the 1983 and 1984 seasons. She owned the team until the franchise disbanded in 1988. During her ownership, the Strikers played for the MISL Championship in 1986.

RELATED NEWS

T&T Goes for opening win against Panama
TTFA News

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men will be aiming to start their 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup campaign on a winning note when they face off with Panama in the first Group D match of a double header at Allianz Field in Minnesota on Tuesday.T&T will raise the curtains from 6:30pm (7:30pm TT time) with the United States taking on Guyana from 9:00pm

Allianz is the home venue of Kevin Molino’s Minnesota United and the T&T squad got their first feel of the venue as head coach Dennis Lawrence conducted the official training session on Monday evening. A capacity crowd of 19,000 is expected for the double header.

T&T’s last Gold Cup outing was a quarter final encounter with the Panamanians in the quarter finals of the 2015 competition. T&T went out 6-5 on penalties after nine rounds of kicks following a 1-1 scoreline after extra time. T&T then won a home 2018 World Cup qualifier 1-0 on a Kevin Molino winner before losing 3-0 in Panama City.

“At this point in time I don’t think history will play a part,” Hyland told TTFA Media. “This is a new competition. There are new faces on board, new ambitions, new atmosphere, in a different country and none of us are home. It’s all up for the grabs so we have to take front before front takes us and hopefully we can get the three points,” he added.

“The mood is great and everyone is gelling and doing their tasks that they have been asked to do by the head coach and the staff. In every major tournament your first game is one of the most important and in these tournaments you have to take it game by game. This game game we know is going to be a difficult one. We know the strengths of Panama and we know they are a hardworking team but we have to match them throughout the game,” Hyland continued.

The Saudi Arabia based midfielder, formerly of Belgium side Racing Genk had a brief message for the T&T faithful, saying “I just want the fans to keep faith in us. This is your team. We believe in ourselves and you have to believe in us and it will only happen if we come together as one country, one nation and that’s the only way things will get better… by supporting each other.”

Meantime, defender Aubrey David has joined the Trinidad and Tobago Men’s team for the 2019 CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Following a lengthy delay, David was granted his US Visa on Friday and linked up with teammates in the United States. He comes into the 23-man squad for Charleston Battery defender Leland Archer who will leave the camp on Wednesday following the opening group match versus Panama on Tuesday.David who plays for Deportivo Saprissa in Costa Rica,  is eligible for Tuesday’s match.

Fans can view the matches on Fox Soccer Soccer Plus, Fox Sports 2, Univision or Concacafgo.com

« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 02:10:26 PM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2019, 06:02:27 PM »
He comes into the 23-man squad for Charleston Battery defender Leland Archer who will leave the camp on Wednesday following the opening group match

What wrong with Archer?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2019, 06:12:14 PM »
He comes into the 23-man squad for Charleston Battery defender Leland Archer who will leave the camp on Wednesday following the opening group match

What wrong with Archer?

One come, one hadda leave.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2019, 08:09:57 PM »
any links for the Jca -Honduras game? none of mine working
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2019, 08:19:20 PM »
Jamaica playing very well. Up 2 - 0 on Honduras. Leon Bailey is in the starting 11.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 17, 2019, 08:30:26 PM »
Jamaica playing very well. Up 2 - 0 on Honduras. Leon Bailey is in the starting 11.

Thought he wanted to play for Hengland.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 17, 2019, 08:47:49 PM »
Hondo pulled back 1. 2-1. Game on.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »