April 18, 2024, 03:50:12 AM

Author Topic: Intercol Finals!!  (Read 15205 times)

Offline royalian

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Intercol Finals!!
« on: April 04, 2005, 01:43:46 PM »
What is ur most memorable Intercol final in any era?

Mine, QRC in 1991 upsetting Malick, everyone's favorite.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Intercol Finals!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2005, 08:30:28 PM »
Ah was part of QRC technical team for that one with the great Roderick Warner as Head Coach

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 11:16:23 AM »
Royal and Royalian, I was on that 1991 QRC team!!! 

We beat Dwarica and crew in that game in the stadium.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 11:27:54 AM »
Mine is the Noth Zone intercol final of 1981....Fatima beat QRC 3-1.

What made it extra special is that in the first round fo the league...QRC ended our TWO YEAR unbeaten streak in the league with a 1-0 win over a 10 man Fatima at Fatima grounds.

We then lost the next game 3-1 to St. Mary's.

Well of course in the North Zone intercol...man count out Fatima already.l
But you know Intercol could be a funny thing sometimes.

First we beat Saints 2-1...Dexter Skeene was on that team...a boss players.
But Saints weak link was their 'Keeper.

Then in the N. Zone final...we bounce up QRC...down 1-0 at the end of the first half...we jam 3 in dey tail in the second half.

The late Shirvan Pragg was the Captain of QRC back then..

Well I had no voice at the end of the game.
I was recently reliving the experience with the Fatima Capt. Ronald Simmons...who played for Tacarigua Ut. and TT as well.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 11:35:57 AM »
vb you call a real boss player there in Ronnie Simmons no doubt one of the best defenders tt ever produce
if he was around in these times easily been in europe without a doubt
anybody say different ain't know a thing bout football
man was composed strong in all aspects and great attacker a true libero baresi like, one of the long line of stars that comeout fatima and cic
he was real special

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 12:13:36 PM »
Yes...Football King...

you damn right...

From 1980-85 I never saw a better defender than Simmo...

He was tough and a roving defender with a big foot.

When he played for TT did well..but never seemed to get call up a lot.

Peace,
VB

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 12:26:42 PM »
Mucurapo versus John D...cyah remember the year.

Clauzel, Tractor, Emers, Eric White, Denzil White etc. vs  Peru, Zuzie, Peter Loobie, Doc???? I eh sure if Doc lay dah game.

Dat was a wicked game.  Clauzel score a wicked goal in dat one.

Most dramatic & controversial.  Fatima vs John D...think it end up 3-3...ref play bout 5 minutes extra time or maybe more....den it had a replay and Fatima win de replay.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Muc. -JohnD final
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 12:34:58 PM »
that final was in 1978.

the year before Fatima JohnD in 1979...

VB

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 12:41:51 PM »
ronnie was in howard at the time went on to become all american- them days men did not know about other school like uva indiana ucla etc he woulda easily run tings in them bigger ncaa schools i meet some coaches still talk bout tha man-
yeah back then men outside hardly ever get call-gally shoulda call tha man in 89 but we all know gally and foreign based
only other college league defender that could come close to ronnie was another fatima boy garnett craig

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2005, 01:06:24 PM »
Yuh know ballas football king....Garnet Craig was a wicked player.

Other serious college defenders from de late 70's onwards....sorry SH...allyuh too ole... ;D

Carlyle Andrews - Belmont (the dean of College Defenders back in de day)

Brian Big Bird Brown - Belmont (I think he wasn't that great a defender but he was like a man among boys in terms of size in dem times)

Gavin Onaba - Fatima (another one dat Fatima used to churn out regular...originally from Ghana)

Shawn Boney - ?

Richard Theodore - Mucurapo

Shaun Garcia - QRC

Derek Lewis - Trinity

Bertram O'Brien - ?

Verron Skinner - Trinity (my all time favourite..if he was around now...the sky woulda be de limit fuh he)

Clayton Morris - ? (cyah remember wha school JB went)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:14:13 PM by palos »

Offline jaffa

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2005, 01:08:20 PM »
Veron Skinner in NYC working w/ troubled youth.
He was/is a MAN among boys.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2005, 01:14:55 PM »
Yes Skinner was on my mind...I believed he have played in the N. Zone final 1980

Trinity - Fatima

Dem bitches beat us 1-0 on a penalty.

Simmon was in dat game Form V

Skinner was really deadly.

For some reason national coaches did not seem interested in Simmo.

When Corneal was coach he always gave him a run and he didn't fail.

I remember when Corneal took over after the Strike Squad days...Simmo got a run vs. East Germany ...did well and the papers say he should be a regular..but I guess those other coaches saw something else.

VB

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2005, 01:21:37 PM »
I always say....Gally did a great job with the Strike Squad.  But he also did de country & TEAM a disservice by not selecting Veron Skinner and David Nakhid.  I truly believe in my heart to this day, had those two been on the team, we would have been in Italy...no problem.

No disrespeck to Floyd Lawrence or Robert Zuzi Elliot...(Zuzi was a legend fuh Simeon Road in Petit Valley League dem times) but dem couldn't lace either of Veron or David boots.

Dat REAL hurt we.....dat and de fact that REALLY AND TRULY we didn't have a DEADLY Striker.  We had plenty offensive firepower wit Latas, Yorke, and Leonson especially....but Marlon Charles, Pamo and Alibey really couldn't cut it at dat level....and dis is no disrespeck to dem because they gave their ALL.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2005, 01:24:07 PM »
PALOS TRUE DAT add ronnie to that list
jb went john D
boney went no school actually i ain't know trinity pull tha 1 off.
yes palos ah know ballers father used to take me to nuff games

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2005, 01:29:59 PM »
gustine used to rule the east
pollonais, shabazz, earl paris, vaughn samuel even had a brazilian coach downer bring in for them 1 time. casa grande i believe was he name

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2005, 02:51:41 PM »
Since we calling impressive ballers we see for College.(Cyar remember one final, ah went all the games and ah OLD now  ???)
Corneal, Gally - Fatima, see him bust the net on Fatima grounds against we (QRC)
Archibald- Benedicts  -
BBain,Sadaphal, Matthews, Jeffers, Sheppy, Best,SGomes, Polydor, Barrow, Clarke - QRC
Tesheria, Nancoo,IBain, Woodley- CIC
Belmont - Husbands, LaForest, Phillips

Buddies pass thru MTL, ah wish ah did see.
Mikey Roberts - Fatima
Denzil White - coached a Summer in MTL.
Richie Ried - Mucurapo

Other peep ah wish ah did see.... Everybody allyuh call, ah woulda go all the games

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2005, 03:07:54 PM »
all yuh remeber a keith eddy from QRC tha man was good dread

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2005, 04:43:00 PM »
The best i ever see wasnt' a final .......it was the Semi final ....Arima vs St.Benedicts at Skinner park. I can't remember the year ...i think it was somehwre in the early '90s. That is the game when the referee had to run for he life after he made some bad callls......
lawd that was a game .....the amount of people that was in skinner park ....all on the touch line the crowd was thick. that led to the bad call by the referee. Arima kick the  ball out of touch and it rebound off a spectator foot and come back into play. The southerners nearly kill that man that day ....but other than that ...that was probabyl the best and hardest fought game of school football i've ever seen ......worthy of a final
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2005, 05:51:54 PM »
The most IMPRESSIVE and DOMINANT players I have seen...in Colleges Football

Russel Latapy

Veron Skinner

Leonson Lewis

Richard Chinapoo

David Nakhid

Jerren Nixon

Dwight Yorke

Wendell Moore

Carlyle Andrews

Garth Pollonais

Emerson Dubisson

Alan "Peru" Anderson

Timothy Haynes

Ian Clauzel

Garnet Craig

Maxg....I was inschool when Mikey used to play fuh Fatima.  Mikey was a legend....excellent footballer but even better cricketer.  Man used to blaze runs like was no tomorrow.

I eh include Anton Corneal in dat list but ah have to give he a special mention.  De year I pass fuh Fatima, Pantin pull we out Colleges League.  Well out of bad come good because we develop a House League.  What dat did was to showcase talent dat otherwise would not have been seen...because it have plenty man who didn't really care bout playin fuh de school.  Men wit SKILLS.  It also had a mid day league in de quad.  Dat is where Garnet Craig get "discover" even doh he was done playin ball wit Blackpool in de East but hardly anybody in Fatima did know dat...certainly...none of de coaches.

Anyway back to Anton.  To this day, I have not seen the like from ANYBODY.  Anton in Form 1.  Sometimes...de combined Form 1 team used to play teams from higher forms...but a particular class e.g. Form 3 A, B or C.  Everybody did know Anton to be Alvin Corneal son plus he had 2 other brothers goin to Fatima de time.  One lunchtime...no game playin but men foolin arong and we see Anton on de field wit he Form 1 padnah's and he have de ball.  Is bout 40 a dem and dey tryin to get de ball from he.  It remind meh of dem chinee movie when de star boy surrounded by 100 man.

Anton dribble dem ALL...and tun back and dribble dem again.  Now when ah say dribble...ah mean dem fellas at a point didn't care....man tryin to hold on to he pants, shirt, man peltin kick all kinda ting...still dey couldn't get de ball.  We sit on de bench and couldn't believe it.

Now dat Form 1 class was kinda special because in addition to Anton, it had some decent players but especially 2 sons of some expats....1 from Colombia and 1 from Venezuela.  Dem youths coulda real play ball.  Well dey beat de Form 2's...no problem.  Form 3's get pass out...same wit Form 4's.  Dey eventually bounce up de side wit Craig and dem and dey get some good kick in dey ass (dah was dey strategy because dey couldn't win otherwise) and lorse...but not without Anton embarassin plenty men along de way...includin Craig and Anton brother.

Plenty good footballers get discover outta dah mid day league and House League.  When Fatima get reinstated back into Colleges League, we was a force primarily because a dem 2 Leagues. 

De mid day league was famous fuh a nex incident.  De Colombian yute coulda kick like a mule.  In dem times it jes used to be 2 cricket stumps dey would use as goal post.  Man ringin de field to see de games.  Anytime dah Form 1 team play, de place was RAM.  Well one game de Colombian buss a strike on de ball and it hit de stump.  De stump fly out and straight as a arrow bury de point in de forehead of a fella call Andre Cropper who was watchin de game from behind de goal.  Men get some serious horrors because it look like a ting from a horror movie.  Cropper wit dis stump stickin out from de middle a he forehead but thank GOD it eh turn out to be too serious.  Cropper end up representin T&T in swimmin.  Tink he sister or family respresent T&T in dah sport at Olympics too.

Anton didn't quite get to de heights everybody did expect of him but he was very special as a youth.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 05:59:23 PM by palos »

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2005, 06:07:11 PM »
vb yuh bad mind eh.  I was dey when allyuh get wood from Trinity..we was singing annoder one bite de dust..we den beat CIC on dey own grounds to win Nort zone, from a Skinner bullet from about half line.

Den teachers went on strike and de season folded without we going on to win de whole damn ting

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2005, 07:06:32 PM »
Story Palos...hah to show Mikey dah one. So the spirit still existed in your time too.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2005, 07:28:13 PM »
Palos what was that older Corneal from 5th form name? Ah think is he I alking bout...When Mikey was in 1st frm, I was picking up splinters 1 st 11 for QRC, and we had a game against Fatima and the man was real tears..we were playing Belmont in the Oval the next wknd..and dah Corneal cause meh to get drop for sure....I wasn't a good football eh, buh is Mikey n Gregory had meh playing, and I did like to run...buh Corneal take the ball from meh, ah run him down inch meh bout 2 round midfield and 2 more times in we area, and then string up the Goalie, and I was playing Center forward. It look real bad.. That next week in the Oval against Belmont, in front ah Mikey and the whole Belmont crew, and the rest of the Rampack oval, ah quit football at10 mins into half time, (Coach had meh warming up whole 1st half+the 10 mins)  and went up Carib stands...Ah did dun know, ah was leaving for Canada.and figure ah never go play football again, except with pardners of course...buh so it went...ah didn't get he (corneal) license, buh he started that frustration, cause ah realize then ah could never be that good

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2005, 09:03:02 PM »
Nice list dey Palos...ah also did like Clint Marcelle, Dexter Sandy and Neil Guisseppe a midfielder from QRC - a real man among boys. Dwarika have to be on dat list too.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2005, 05:22:59 AM »

Russel Latapy

Veron Skinner

Leonson Lewis

Richard Chinapoo

David Nakhid

Jerren Nixon

Dwight Yorke

Wendell Moore

Carlyle Andrews

Garth Pollonais

Emerson Dubisson

Alan "Peru" Anderson

Timothy Haynes

Ian Clauzel

Garnet Craig

Maxg....I was inschool when Mikey used to play fuh Fatima.  Mikey was a legend....excellent footballer but even better cricketer.  Man used to blaze runs like was no tomorrow.

I eh include Anton Corneal in dat list but ah have to give he a special mention.  De year I pass fuh Fatima, Pantin pull we out Colleges League.  Well out of bad come good because we develop a House League.  What dat did was to showcase talent dat otherwise would not have been seen...because it have plenty man who didn't really care bout playin fuh de school.  Men wit SKILLS.  It also had a mid day league in de quad.  Dat is where Garnet Craig get "discover" even doh he was done playin ball wit Blackpool in de East but hardly anybody in Fatima did know dat...certainly...none of de coaches.

Anyway back to Anton.  To this day, I have not seen the like from ANYBODY.  Anton in Form 1.  Sometimes...de combined Form 1 team used to play teams from higher forms...but a particular class e.g. Form 3 A, B or C.  Everybody did know Anton to be Alvin Corneal son plus he had 2 other brothers goin to Fatima de time.  One lunchtime...no game playin but men foolin arong and we see Anton on de field wit he Form 1 padnah's and he have de ball.  Is bout 40 a dem and dey tryin to get de ball from he.  It remind meh of dem chinee movie when de star boy surrounded by 100 man.

Anton dribble dem ALL...and tun back and dribble dem again.  Now when ah say dribble...ah mean dem fellas at a point didn't care....man tryin to hold on to he pants, shirt, man peltin kick all kinda ting...still dey couldn't get de ball.  We sit on de bench and couldn't believe it.

Now dat Form 1 class was kinda special because in addition to Anton, it had some decent players but especially 2 sons of some expats....1 from Colombia and 1 from Venezuela.  Dem youths coulda real play ball.  Well dey beat de Form 2's...no problem.  Form 3's get pass out...same wit Form 4's.  Dey eventually bounce up de side wit Craig and dem and dey get some good kick in dey ass (dah was dey strategy because dey couldn't win otherwise) and lorse...but not without Anton embarassin plenty men along de way...includin Craig and Anton brother.

Plenty good footballers get discover outta dah mid day league and House League.  When Fatima get reinstated back into Colleges League, we was a force primarily because a dem 2 Leagues. 

De mid day league was famous fuh a nex incident.  De Colombian yute coulda kick like a mule.  In dem times it jes used to be 2 cricket stumps dey would use as goal post.  Man ringin de field to see de games.  Anytime dah Form 1 team play, de place was RAM.  Well one game de Colombian buss a strike on de ball and it hit de stump.  De stump fly out and straight as a arrow bury de point in de forehead of a fella call Andre Cropper who was watchin de game from behind de goal.  Men get some serious horrors because it look like a ting from a horror movie.  Cropper wit dis stump stickin out from de middle a he forehead but thank GOD it eh turn out to be too serious.  Cropper end up representin T&T in swimmin.  Tink he sister or family respresent T&T in dah sport at Olympics too.

Anton didn't quite get to de heights everybody did expect of him but he was very special as a youth.

OH JEEZ PALOS,

That stump story crack me up for days...ah know it was a serious thing but i couldn't stop laughing.
Nice lyrics about Anton...this will go into my files.

VB

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2005, 06:41:13 AM »

Russel Latapy

Veron Skinner

Leonson Lewis

Richard Chinapoo

David Nakhid

Jerren Nixon

Dwight Yorke

Wendell Moore

Carlyle Andrews

Garth Pollonais

Emerson Dubisson

Alan "Peru" Anderson

Timothy Haynes

Ian Clauzel

Garnet Craig

I would add

Gary Evelyn and

Peter Loobie

to that list.
Live large and prosper!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MOST IMPRESSIVE FOR ME
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2005, 06:58:01 AM »
I only saw colleges league in the late 70s and half of the 80s...so based on what I saw.

Ronnie Simmons - Fatima
Sean Roberts - GK for Fatima
Garth Pollanais - St. Augustine
Clint Marcelle - Mucurapo
Colin rocke, Dexter Skeene - CIC
Applewhite - GK for QRC
David Mohammed - Naparima, the same Moh. who
played cricket for the WI youth team and TT in the 80s and 90s

Dexter Sandy - QRC
Remy - St. Augustine
Leonson Lewis - Sando Tech
Anthony Clarke - GK for Naps.

Wayne "Barney" Sheppard, Sean Ramdoo, and Mark Jeremy were damn good players for Fatima. They were amongst the BEST in the College's league. But at the time they played for Fatima we had reasonably weak teams...Sheppard and Jeremy played for the national youth team.
Ramdoo was selected for the U-16 team and his son Sean Jr. was recently selected for the U-16 team.

Sean Roberts the GK for fatima was OUTSTANDING...but he broke his foot in a game vs. QRC and that was it...we never saw him again. The man was supremely confident in goal.

I understand he was a boss batsman in the College's League as well, with an average of over 800. That's right an AVERAGE of over 800. Back in '84 a little form IV fella called Brian Lara was talking about breaking it. I don't know if he ever got around to it.  :)

Peace,
VB

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2005, 07:23:56 AM »
vb, Mikey, Gregory, and sean use to come Mtl in the summer, and the 2 older played with us in our City league. For our opening game we had to travel quitey-quite and many guys didn't make it. As we were short(8), we throw Sean in goal, he made 8. Mikey was a lil concerned, saying Sean never play with men before. Ah say Mikey, yuh dun know we go buss this team tail, dey mighten even get a shot on him...
They give we 5 to 0. After Sean feel so bad, every practice, he wha go in goal, whole summer..."Take shot nah ? Take shot nah?" Fellas was calling him 'SHOTS'..
So now yuh know where the confidence came from.

By the way on the return game with that team, we give them 6-0. and won the league. and lost the Knockout final to that same team,"Pincourt" on penalty kicks. I remember clearly cause is the last penalty ah ever kick in meh life. Ah kick 5th, and nearly break meh foot when a kick the xxxking ground, and the ball en even reach the keeper.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2005, 07:31:17 AM »
Talking about intercol, allyuh remember the National league Championships. Of the many formats my favourite was the Big Seven. Seven best teams six games, 3 at home, 3 away and every one was crucial. the atmosphere for them games was something else.

When yuh can't go down south yuh listeneing to the radio like a jumbie.

Plus the first time I see Dwight and Nixon play was in big seven.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2005, 07:36:18 AM »
vb some good picks boss i forget robert gk father was a boss coach too end up getting real sick wonder if he still alive
jeremy was a boss dribbler going forward
barney was real underated-can't believe goats mr. moore and haywood didn't let tha man in 6th form-1 bad thing bout fatima they let some good men slip or overlook some good youths

greame rodriguez was good
qrc had a guissepi- linkman real good
belmont had a man nicknamed SABA play with latapy marcelle u-19 tt team
rambo from san juan then trintoc national team, baaaaaaaad player good dribbler effective dribbler

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2005, 07:47:50 AM »
OH JEEZ ..How I forget Graeme Rodgriguez. one of the best damn dribblers I ever saw.

MaKE national practice and nobody pass him de ball becz he is a white boy.

Magx G who is Mikey and Gregory?
And what is Mtl??

And how old was Roberts when he got dat 8?

Peace,
VB

1]; } ?>