April 19, 2024, 09:59:47 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Caribbean Women's World Cup Qualifiers  (Read 29654 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2018 Caribbean Women's World Cup Qualifiers
« on: April 05, 2018, 01:22:54 PM »
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 08:31:21 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago Women to start World Cup quest vs USVI on May 19th
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2018, 06:14:55 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago Women to start World Cup quest vs USVI on May 19th
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Women’s footballers will commence their quest for 2019 FIFA World Cup qualification against the US Virgin Islands on May 19th at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

This will be the opening match for the Women Warriors as they host Group C in the CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s qualifying group stage.

T&T will face Dominica on May 21st, St Kitts/Nevis on May 25th and Grenada on May 27th. Only the winners of each of the five groups will advance to the Caribbean Final round scheduled to start on July 21st at a venue to be announced.

From that final round, the top three teams will advance to the CONCACAF Final Round of qualification in the United States from October 4-17. The top three teams will qualify for the World Cup in France, while the fourth-placed team will advance to a play-off against the third-placed team from CONMEBOL.

T&T utility player Karyn Forbes said the T&T squad is in a good place at the moment following their dominant performance in the CFU Women’s Challenge Series last week but warned against complacency heading into the official qualifiers.

“Basically I think we needed these games last week to build our confidence. Playing these games allows us to come out and build that cohesiveness around the team and it was a great opportunity to build off these games and prepare for the other harder matches coming up. We are in good shape now but definitely need to stay grounded and keep working to improve our level of play,” Forbes told TTFA Media.

“We had Suriname and then Grenada and Guyana and those games were a building process and I think we can fix the errors and continue to progress from there.”

Forbes scored in each of the three matches and played up top as well against Guyana. Her feelings on he roles on the pitch and as one of the more experienced players has left her with a greater sense of responsibility.

“I have good leadership qualities and since the team is transitioning, we  are learning more about each other, not undermining anyone and really trying to get the best team together.

“I am a utility player and whatever the team needs then he (Jamaal Shabazz) makes his move to suit . He has enough faith in me and I have enough confidence that wherever he places me , I can go up and do my best for the benefit of the team,” Forbes added.

The Team is currently in training throughout the week into next week ahead of the CONCACAF qualifiers.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2018 Caribbean Women's World Cup Qualifiers
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 04:08:47 AM »
Hinds turns attention to World Cup qualifiers.
T&T Newsday Reports.

NATIONAL Women’s football team defender/midfielder Liana Hinds is turning her attention towards the start of the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup qualifiers, which will begin later this month.

Trinidad and Tobago will be hosting Group C, alongside Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts/Nevis and the US Virgin Islands, in First Round action from May 19-27.

In total, there will be five groups involved in First Round games this month, with the group winners advancing to the Final Round, from July 21-29, from which the top three will progress to the 2018 CONCACAF Women’s Championship.

Eight teams will participate in the CONCACAF Women’s Championship, in the US, from October 4-17. The top three teams will automatically book spots to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France, while the fourth-placed team will engage in a playoff with the third-placed team from CONMEBOL (South American governing body).

T&T finished their Group E participation in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Women’s Challenge Series with a 100-percent record (7-0 over Suriname on April 25, 8-1 against Grenada on April 27 and 3-1 over Guyana on April 29) at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

In an interview after the Guyana game, the US-born Hinds commented, “We need to work on just playing our game, not trying to play to the level of the other team, not trying to figure out what they’re doing but focusing on what we do and what we’re best at, so we can execute that flawlessly every time we step on the field.”

The 23-year-old Hinds, who was a member of the T&T team who hosted the 2010 FIFA Women’s Under-17 World Cup, gave her thoughts on the performance of the Jamaal Shabazz-coached team during the Challenge Series.

“I felt we did well,” she said. “I think that there (are) definitely things that we need to work on. The first (halves) of the Grenada and (Guyana games) were a little challenging but the second halves we definitely stepped it up and did what we were supposed to do. I think we did well overall.”

Concerning the mood in the T&T camp, Hinds noted, “The team likes to have fun (and) joke around with each other so it’s always positive vibes.

We’re working on uplifting each other when we make mistakes.” However, she admitted, “I will like to find my role in the team. It’s hard being away some times then coming and joining the team, and trying to figure out where I fit in, and get really good at the things that I have to do at (any) position.”

Asked about the new faces on the T&T squad, Hinds responded, “I’m always a fan of the new kids coming up. You see a lot of creativity with players like Aaliyah Prince.”

She continued, “Once they get the ball they’re not afraid to just play. I’m always a fan of new players and getting to learn how to play with new people.”

Another utility player (defender/midfielder) Karyn Forbes, was pleased with the fact that she can continue her recovery from a pair of knee operations.

“I’m now coming off two knee surgeries and I’m now (getting) a little form,” said the 26-year-old Forbes. “I’m just taking the opportunity at this time.

“One of the things that I said to myself before this tournament is (that) I can shoot the ball,” Forbes added. “I want to get back into that realm of helping the team by scoring some goals from midfield.”

« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 04:23:05 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2018, 01:41:02 AM »
Cordner, King to join T&T team in June.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

EXPERIENCED footballers Kenya Cordner and Arin King will be joining the Trinidad and Tobago women’s team in June, in time for the Central American and Caribbean (CAC) Games in Barranquilla, Colombia from July 19 to August 3.

This according to Jamaal Shabazz, T&T women’s football team coach, in an interview earlier this week.

The national women’s squad are preparing for the start of their qualifying campaign, for the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France.

T&T will be hosting Group C, in the CONCACAF Women’s Championship qualifiers, from May 19-27. Matches in the group will be contested at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, with T&T meeting the US Virgin Islands (May 19), Dominica (May 21), St Kitts/Nevis (May 25) and Grenada (May 27).

The group winners will move on to the Final Round, from August 25 to September 2, from which three teams will progress to the CONCACAF Championships, in the US, from October 4-17. Wingers Cordner and Ahkeela Mollon, defender Arin King and midfielder Maylee Attin-Johnson have not been in action with the national team, for over a year.

Cordner is currently engaged with Norwegian club IL Sandviken, while King is coming off an injury. Both Mollon and Attin-Johnson are pursuing coaching careers.

“Kenya Cordner is not available until June,” said Shabazz. “She should be available for the CAC Games.

“Mollon has expressed her desire to remain in coaching for now,” added the T&T coach. “King is going to be back in the squad from June as well.”

But central defender Rhea Belgrave has returned to the fray, after recovering from injury.

“Rhea Belgrave is back to full fitness,” said Shabazz. “She was out for the friendly matches (against Panama) and the CFU tournament. Now she’s back for the qualifiers.”

T&T had a 100-per cent record at the recent Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Challenge Series at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva, with victories over Suriname (7-1), Grenada (8-1) and Guyana (3-1).

Shabazz, the former Guyana and T&T men’s coach, noted, “We rested one day, after the tournament, and the girls have been hard at it. The competition for places is stiff.”

Experienced US-born wing-back Taylor Mims will be in the training squad, while Canada-born striker Melissa Baynes has been included for the first time.

North America-based midfielders Shinelle Arjoon, Naomie Guerra and Kayla Taylor are also part of the training unit, as well as national Under-17 striker Afiyah Cornwall.

However, Shabazz admitted that the teams will only be fielding 20 players each, despite a heavy schedule of four matches in nine days.

Asked when the T&T team will be announced, Shabazz replied, “A couple days before because we still have players coming in. We want to give everybody a chance.

“But the presence of Rhea, Cornwall and Taylor Mims has increased the intensity in the training,” he ended.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 04:20:18 AM »
T&T Women’s team gear towards CONCACAF Qualifiers kick off on May 19th.
TTFA Media.

This country’s Senior Women’s Team will remain largely unchanged heading into the opening phase of the CONCACAF Caribbean World Cup qualifiers which kick off on May 19th at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The squad which topped their Group in the recent Caribbean Football Union Challenge Series a couple weeks ago will form the base of the T&T outfit for the upcoming matches.

Team manager Jinelle James confirmed that communication has been ongoing with overseas-based forward Kennya Cordner and she is likely to join the team for the CAC Games in July in Colombia and the Final round of Caribbean World Cup qualification once T&T progresses. Canada-baed defender Arin King is recovering from injury and eyeing a return in June while Khadidra Debesette is also a being looked at for a return.

“I was on the phone with Kennya today and we have been having ongoing communication about the best time for her to return to the team,” James told TTFA Media. “And we have also been in dialogue with Khadidra and Arin about their return to the squad possibly for the CAC Games or the later stages of this qualifying campaign.”

Meantime, current T&T team member Jonelle Cato said the Women Warriors are confident of topping the Group C which also includes Grenada, Dominica, US Virgin Islands and St Kits/Nevis.

T&T will face USVI on May 19th, Dominica on May 21st, St Kitts/Nevis on May 25th and Grenada on May 27th. Only the winners of each of the five groups will advance to the Caribbean Final round scheduled to start on July 21st at a venue to be announced.

“For myself and maybe Liana who got to play in a youth World Cup in 2010, we really have that desire to play in two World Cups. It is every player’s dream to qualify for and play in a World Cup,” said Cato.

“I think honestly we will dominate in the the Caribbean but we cannot be complacent. It is now more about us being a force in the CONCACAF. Sometimes we tend to dominate in the Caribbean but then fall short when we get to the CONCACAF stage,” Cato added.

“This time around we need to make sure we do qualify and if not first, at least second or third so we can go onto qualify for the World Cup in France next year.”

Cato said she felt empowered being a mother and a starting player on the National Women’s Team.

“People don’t give women footballers enough credit.A lot of them think we should just be wives or mothers. A lot of parents think now that they don’t want their kids or their girl kids to play football. Being a part of a national women’s team and qualify for a World Cup will be big not just for us but hopefully other people’s kids and I hope it can inspire other women and parents to send their kids to play the sport and be just like us,” Cato added.

Upcoming Fixtures.

May 19

6:30, T&T vs US Virgin Islands, Ato Boldon Stadium.

May 21

6:30, T&T vs Dominica, Ato Boldon Stadium.

May 25

6:30, T&T vs St Kitts & Nevis, Ato Boldon Stadium.

May 27

6:30, T&T vs Grenada, Ato Boldon Stadium.

« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:23:34 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 05:22:23 AM »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Twenty-Player Squad announced for start of Women’s World Cup campaign
ttfootball.org

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Jamaal Shabazz today announced a 20-member squad to contest the upcoming CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s World Cup qualifying Group C at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

Hosts T&T open against US Virgin Islands from 6:30pm at the TTFA Home of Football venue with St Kitts and Nevis taking on Grenada in the first encounter from 4pm.

Shabazz has two new additions to his squad from the one that competed in the recent CFU Women’s Challenge Series with Canadian-based Andrea Young of Ottawa Fury and former national youth team player Taylor Mims coming in and Liana Hinds (injured) and Shanieka Paul out.

“This is an opportunity for us to  re-establish our past reputation as a force in senior women’s football in the region,” Shabazz told TTFA Media looking ahead to the opening encounter.

“This is the first step in what can be a most interesting journey for the team and the country We also have a blend of players that crosses a few generational paths. The U-17s, U-20s, the under 23s and and veteran seniors are all represented in this squad which we’ve put together for the opening round of the qualifiers,” Shabazz added.

T&T will face USVI on May 19th, Dominica on May 21st, St Kitts/Nevis on May 25th and Grenada on May 27th. Only the winners of each of the five groups will advance to the Caribbean Final round scheduled to start on July 21st at a venue to be announced.

Tickets are priced at $30 and will be available at the match venue on matchdays.

T&T 20-Player Squad

Goalkeepers

Saundra Baron, Nicolette Craig.

Defenders

Ayana Russell, Anastasia Prescott, Rhea Belgrave,Jenelle Cunningham, Jonelle Cato, Patrice Superville, Shaunalee Govia, Taylor Mims.

Midfielders

Tasha St. Louis, Janine Francois, Shanelle Arjoon, Karyn Forbes, Kedie Johnson, Naomie Guerra.

Forwards

Mariah Shade, Andrea Young,Aaliyah Prince, Natasha St Louis.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 01:46:07 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:51:50 AM »
T&T Women begin World Cup quest.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Meets USVI in opener in Couva

T&T’s women footballers will begin their quest for Fifa World Cup qualification today when they clash with the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) in the feature match of a double-header from 6.30 pm at the Home of Football, Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva.

The Group C match will follow an earlier encounter at 4 pm in which St Kitts/Nevis will take on Dominica.

The T&T women will be attempting to replicate their performance at the 2015 qualifiers that saw them finish fourth in the Concacaf Championship, before being edged out 1-0 by Ecuador in the Inter-Continental play-off, to narrowly miss out on a spot at the Fifa World Cup in Germany.

Yesterday Mariah Shade, one of the most experienced players in the team, stressed the importance of starting on a winning note. “We are very much excited about this World Cup campaign. We have been training really hard and we are focused on the task at hand. We are committed to the goal which is to qualify for the World Cup,” Shade said.

“The mindset for us is to dominate. We know at this level we usually put in a lot of goals. We don’t just want to win but we want to dominate the matches as well. It is just to put in the work and hopefully, with the blessing of God, we can achieve this.

“We need to go in there with a mindset in spite of the score, we need to finish off the games strongly.”

USVI coach Izler Browne, who is a former national player and coach, said her team will not be intimidated by the hosts. “I had to go in and put things in place for consistency in the Women’s game in the USVI,” Browne said, following her appointment as coach.

“At the senior team level, we are at a transitional stage. It’s a relatively young team with a couple older players. We are trying to ensure the younger players all get a taste of international football in this tournament.

“We understand the magnitude of the team we are playing against. We want to be able to give a credible performance. We understand that for us we may not play the game in the way we want or the result may not be what we want but it is important for us to ensure that this is something we can build on,” Browne said.

Another T&T coach Rajesh Latchoo, who is at the helm of the Dominica team said he is anticipating a decent showing from his troop.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 06:37:00 PM »
we put 10 on USVI tonight

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 06:50:46 PM by royal »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 12:36:38 AM »
T&T Women cruise past USVI in CONCACAF Caribbean opener.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago kicked off their Women’s World Cup qualifying campaign in dominant fashion as they cruised past US Virgin Islands 10-0 on Saturday in their CONCACAF Caribbean Group C match at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

T&T’s opening goal came in 15th when Patrice Superville found the target  The floodgates opened in the 36th as T&T went on to score five unanswered goals in the space of six minutes before half time. Shade struck in the 36th minute and her item was quickly followed by goals from Karyn Forbes in the 37th, a right footed stunner from long range on the left which few into the top right corner, Tasha St Louis in the 39th, Shade again in the 40th and Jenelle Cunningham in the 42nd. Kedie Johnson put T&T 7-0 ahead in the 61st while Shade completed the rout with items in the 83rd and 90th minutes to go along with an own goal.

St Kitts and Nevis edged Dominica 2-1 in the opening match.

Teams

T&T: 1.Saundra Baron (GK); 4.Rhea Belgrave, 2.Ayanna Russell, 5.Jenelle Cunningham; 8.Patrice Superville, 11.Janine Francois, 14.Karyn Forbes, 16.Kedie Johnson (6.Natasha St Louis 83), 7.Jonelle Cato (12.Shanelle Arjoon, 72′); 10.Tasha St Louis (captain) (15.Taylor Mims, 65′), 9.Mariah Shade,

Subs not Used: 20.Nicolette Craig (GK), 3.Anastasia Prescott, 13.Andrea Young, 17.Shaunalee Govia, 18.Naomie Guerra, 19.Aaliyah Prince,

Head Coach: Jamaal Shabazz

USVI: 1.Levania Lawrence (GK); 18.Maya Wright, 13.Katelyn Wiater, 14.Alison Bartsch, 12.Leslie Ann Harcrow (17.Kayla Feigenbaum, 70′); 8.Kelsey Montano, 15.Holly Herzig (10.Tamika Aguilar, 85′), 20.Misah Edwards (captain) (6.Ariel Stoltz, 73′), 16.Bianca Canizio, 11.Sierra Rivera; 9.Zola Kaza Saint-dic.

Unused substitutes: 2.Mikenzi Glover (GK), 3.Beladean Delgado, 4.Chamoya Buchanan, 5.Calisha Callwood, 7.Maggie Huang, 19.Isis Collier.

Head Coach: Izler Browne

Referee: Astrid Gramajo (Guatemala)

See Jamaal Shabazz’s post-match comments below.

Shabazz's Post Match Reactions after 10-0 win ovr USVI in Concacaf Qualifier

RELATED NEWS

Soca Princesses open with 10-zip win
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

SHADE DROPS FOUR ON USVI

A dominant performance by T&T’s senior women’s team earned them a flying start in the Caribbean Women’s qualifiers tournament at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, last night. The host registered a 10-0 drubbing of United States Virgin Islands (USVI) in the feature match of a double at the ‘Home of Football’.

Midfielder Marian Shade led the way with a beaver-trick and was the provider for a few others.

Patrice Superville got the opener in the 16th minute when Kedie Johnson’s left side centre trickled the defence and fell into the path of Superville to shoot past goalkeeper Levania Lawrence.

Skipper Tasha St Louis was a shadow of herself for most of the night. However, she produced a touch of magic in the 34th minute, splitting the USVI defence with a telling through pass to Shade to take aim and place perfectly past the goalie.

Midfielder Karyn Forbes then lifted the crowd to its feet with the goal of the game. The powerful player pulled away from her marker on the left side and curled her right-footer into the far post in the 36th.

Later St Louis, who had been guilty of a few easily missed chances in the past, finally beat Lawrence three minutes later. And before the USVI defence could regroup, Shade got her second item when she fired past a stranded Lawrence a few seconds after.

The home team then completed a 6-0 halftime advantage when Jenelle Cunningham saw Lawrence napping and beat her with a long-range effort in the 44th.

After the break the hardworking Kedie Johnson received her reward, meeting Shade’s right side cross sweetly on the header in the 61st for a 7-0 lead, but there was still more to come.

Forbes curled the ball past Lawrence from a corner on the left in the 69th before Shade raced on to a loose ball in the area to beat the keeper with a fierce shot into the far post for her hat-trick in the 77th.

The speedy winger then closed out got her beaver-trick on the stroke of regulation time.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 12:39:46 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2018, 03:41:31 AM »
Calls for Attin-Johnson, Mollon to return.

Shabazz says Under-20 players not committed

Attempts are being made to convince midfielder Maylee Attin Johnson and Akheela Mollon to return to the T&T Women’s team currently competing for the top spot in Group C of the CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s Qualifiers at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva.

National coach Jamaal Shabazz said they have had to do this because of the lack of commitment from the country’s under-20 players which competed unsuccessfully at the CONCACAF Under-20 Championship at the same venue a few months ago.

At the post-match press conference after the Soca Princesses hammered USVI 10-0, Shabazz said parents of the Under-20 players are more concerned with them receiving scholarships and focusing on their studies than representing their country at football.

This lack of commitment has led to the overuse of veteran midfielder Tasha St Louis in the team. According to Shabazz, “When I came into this set up in August last year, I never expected that Tasha would be playing such a big role. We know that she is captain and I thought she would have been used sparingly. We did not get the commitment from the Under-20s and the pool isn’t too big, so she still has a lot of minutes to play.”

The T&T women are expected to finish at the top of the group to have any chance of progressing to the Concacaf qualifiers. But Shabazz is taking no team for granted as he believes more is needed if T&T is to qualify for the FIFA World Cup in France. Saturday’s win came from a beaver-trick from influential midfielder Mariah Shade and a double from Karyn Forbes. Shabazz said he was pleased to have received maximum points but he will have to move players around due to the number of matches they have to play, and the time to play the matches in. Competition for places in the team has also lifted the intensity of his team’s play.

In their opening matches, the T&T women were dominant, and the scoreline reflected it, despite attempts by USVI to contain them early in the match.

Izler Browne, the USVI coach who was a former national player and coach, said her team’s challenge was over and they can now focus on the coming matches.

Matches

TODAY:

US Virgin Islands v Grenada, 4pm
Dominica v T&T, 6.30pm

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 04:26:29 AM »
Women record second win in CONCACAF Caribbean qualifiers.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago recorded their second successive win in CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s World Cup qualifying Group C action on Monday at the Ato Boldon Stadium

The hosts did what was expected of them but it was far from a walk in the part for them as Dominica put on a fighting display, staying organised for most parts to contain the T&T Women Warriors on the evening.

T&T got out of the starting blocks early once more with Jenelle Cunningham opening the scoring in the 5th minute with a shot that entered the net on the rise from close up. Dominica did not pose much of a threat to T&T’s defence but they stayed disciplined for most parts and never allowed T&T to get into a dominant mode.

Rhea Belgrave put T&T 2-0 ahead in the 36th minute and Karyn Forbes rifled another long range effort from a direct free kick past goalkeeper Kimberly Elie in the 54th minute. 

“We are happy to get three points and we continue to move along. It was a good tactical and defensive game by the opponent and we respect that,” T&T Head Coach Jamaal Shabazz said after the match.  USVI bounced back from Saturday’s heavy loss to the hosts, to defeat Grenada 3-0 in Monday’s opening game of the double header.

Results

T&T 3 v Dominica 0

Teams

T&T: 1.Saundra Baron (GK); 4.Rhea Belgrave (3.Anastasia Prescott 68), 2.Ayanna Russell, 5.Jenelle Cunningham; 8.Patrice Superville, 11.Janine Francois, 14.Karyn Forbes (19.Aaliyah Prince, 70′), 7.Jonelle Cato; 12.Summer Arjoon, 10.Tasha St Louis (capt), 9.Mariah Shade (18.Naomie Guerra, 78′).

Subs not Used: 20.Nicolette Craig (GK), 6.Natasha St Louis, 13.Andrea Young, 15.Taylor Mims, 16.Kedie Johnson, 17.Shaunalee Govia.

Head Coach: Jamaal Shabazz

Dominica: 12.Kimberly Elei (GK); 20.Alanna Finn (17.Keanna Francis 63), 14.Kylee Bertand, 6.Kira Bertrand, 4.Kimara Sabaroche, 8.Kasika Samuel; 19.Chazelle Phillip, 11.Rosilia Registe (capt), 16.Michlyn Morgan (9.Donisha Xavier, 55′); 3.Alijah Titre (5.Henrica Samuel, 43′); 10.Romelcia Phillip.

Subs not Used: 1.Christina Sobers (GK), 2.Myah Raymond, 7.Ezra Elwin, 13.Keandra Francis, 15.Tafari Bertrand, 18.Cassandra Augustine.

Head Coach: Rajesh Latchoo

Highlights - T&T's 3-0 win over Dominica in Women's World Cup qualifier

Shabazz stays positive after T&T records second win in CONCACAF Caribbean qualifiers

Dominica head coach Latchoo reacts following 3-0 loss to T&T in CONCACAF Women's Qualifier

RELATED NEWS

Soca Princesses outplay Dominica 3-0.

T&T senior women’s football team got win number two in the Concacaf Caribbean Women’s Qualifiers yesterday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, after hammering Dominica 3-0.

Overlapping defenders Jenelle Cunningham, Rhea Belgrave and the consistent Karyn Forbes were the scorers in another dominant display for the home team in front an appreciative crowd.

Forbes who is fast making a name for herself as the Cafu of T&T women football, was again on target in the 54th minute when she skilfully curled the ball over the grasp of Kimberly Elie from a free kick on the left side to hand the host a three-goal advantage.

The goals came following a series of relentless attacks all night that should have reflected a larger margin of victory.

Earlier Shenelle Arjoon who returned to the starting line up delivered a cross from the left side which posed problems for the Dominican defence, and Jenelle Cunningham benefitted when she blasted the loose ball into the roof of the net in the 5th minute for a 1-0 lead.

The home team might have had another one moments later when Arjoon picked out Janine Francois with another left side cross, Francois’ header was pushed wide by an acrobatic Elie.

However, TT would not be denied as Rhea Belgrave headed home a cross from almost on the goal line, as Elie failed to attack it in her area and T&T closed the first half with a 2-0 advantage and in total control of the contest. The host only goal in the second half came from Forbes, despite many attacks at the opposing team’s goal.

Meanwhile, the USVI got its first win of the CONCACAF Caribbean Women’s Championships at the A to Boldon Stadium in Couva yesterday, rebounding from a demoralizing 10-0 defeat to T&T on Saturday to whip Grenada 3-0.

The USVI team, under the former T&T player and coach Izler Browne, left it late though as they were frustrated by many chances. The breakthrough came when Maya Hadeed’s tame shot from the top of the area appeared to be heading outside, but instead ended up in the back of goalkeeper Connie John’s nets in the 74th minute.

Later the USVI went two up when John fumbled Bianca Canizio’s low drive in the 89th minute. And with the goal wide open, Canizio dashed in with a flash to pounce on the loose ball.

Substitute striker completed the 3-0 win by shooting into an empty goal in the 91st minute. Browne’s team will next play Dominica tomorrow in the first game at 4pm.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 04:29:53 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2018, 12:44:32 AM »
Shabazz: Biggest test against St Kitts/Nevis.

Despite a dogged 3-0 win over Dominica in the Concacaf Caribbean Women’s Qualifiers on Monday at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, coach Jamaal Shabazz has said his biggest test in the tournament will come from St Kitts/Nevis on Friday when the team meet in a 6:30 pm contest.

The T&T coach was left smiling for the first time in a long while, due mainly to the progress being made in the women’s game. The Soca Princesses are expected to top the group.

On Saturday, T&T go off to flying start by crushing USVI 10-0. However, the Dominicans, being coached by T&T’s Rajesh Latchoo who was an understudy to Shabazz at Morvant Caledonia United, provided more resistance than expected with a defensive strategy.

In a post-match press conference, Shabazz didn’t believe his understudy provided his biggest test in the five-team Group C play-off, saying it will come from St Kitts/Nevis, as they have demonstrated the ability to play, bring the ball down and start the attack. St Kitts/Nevis got the better of the Dominicans 2-1 in its opening match Saturday and will be hoping for maximum points today when they clash with the Grenadians in Couva from 4 pm. In the other game today the United States Virgin Islands will tangle with Dominica from 6:30 pm.

Against Dominica, Shabazz girls produced a decent display in a match that served as a learning experience for them.

“Good tactical game in defence by Dominica, but we are just happy to come away with three goals and three points. Latchoo showed the intelligence that he couldn’t play open, that they had to literally park the bus and they did it well. I think the tactics used by Dominica reminded me of when we played the USA back in 2002 where we defended for our lives and focussed on getting the ball to Mollon,” Shabazz explained.

He believes there was disinterest among his players by the defensive strategy but said they know now how to deal with such a tactic.

T&T’s defensive midfielder Karyn Forbes has been Shabazz’s ace card in tight situations, displaying her ability to strike the ball powerfully to goal.

Forbes who has been as steady as a rock in the defence, was among the scorers in the opening game, a scorcher from the wide left, and again Monday she curled one in from a similar position from a free kick.

The team is expecting to be strengthened further with the inclusion of Ahkeela Mollon and Maylee Attin-Johnson, both of whom are abroad coaching, as well as two new surprise players that will fit into the team perfectly.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 12:49:07 AM »
Two gems coming to boost T&T.
By Sherdon Pierre (Newsday).

Shabazz hints at reinforcements for qualifiers

“Suddenly I have started to smile, I have not been smiling for a long time since I came back in women's football,” said T&T women’s head coach Jamaal Shabazz.

There was some uncertainty if he was speaking about his team`s 3-0 victory against Dominica on Monday evening or the excitement of adding more firepower to the squad in the near future.

He hinted, “We have found two… what I consider gems and we expect them to join the team in June and hopefully it will make the situation more competitive.”

Shabazz reflected on his team`s victory against a well-organized and resilient Dominica team.

“We are happy to get three points as we continue to move along. A good tactical game of defence by the opponents and we are happy to come out with three goals and three points. They showed intelligence that they can’t come and play open so they literally parked the bus and they did it well.”

He continued, “Too much of us were standing around waiting for the ball at our feet and generally there was a lot of disinterest in our players saying that the other team is backing off and not trying to play but this is an aspect of the game we need to learn.”

Shabazz commented on the goals scored from defenders Jenelle Cunningham (5th), Rhea Belgrave (36th) and a free-kick goal from midfielder Karyn Forbes in the (53rd).

“We fancy our dead-ball situations; we have three or four players who can really use it and we try to see it as a sure goal. We are confident that when we have free-kick or corners we are sure to get one in.”

Shabazz said it was evident that development is taking place in women’s football in the region over the last two decades. “When you look at the game between USVI and Grenada, the coaches of women football in the Caribbean are doing something. In this transitional period, I am so happy to have a Karyn Forbes, Tasha St Louis, Ayana Russell that can help the country through this transitional period.”

Dominica’s T&T-born head coach Rajesh Latchoo said in the post-match media interview, “Obviously T&T was the superior team, but we know what we were coming up against and I’m pleased with the girls for their effort because we only had three months to prepare and they saw that Dominica is resilient.” He continued, “We needed to be a little more alert by the forwards because we completed half the plan in the game.”

Latchoo, who held several coaching jobs in T&T over the years, said Shabazz is someone he has always looked up to.

He said, “Jamaal is one of my mentors; I have learnt a lot from him, I think he would be more disappointed in me if the team didn’t play with any kind of tactical discipline and I didn’t want to disappoint him.”

He added, “It was an honour to play against him, the young grasshopper against the master. It goes to show the teaching of Jamaal can help Caribbean football because this is what it is really about.”

T&T will have a rest day today and will be setting sights on St. Kitts & Nevis, who according to coach Shabazz, may be their biggest challenge of this group on Friday.

The fixtures today are St. Kitts and Nevis vs Grenada at 4pm, and USVI vs Dominica at 6:30pm at the Ato Boldon Stadium.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 01:58:50 AM »
Shabaaz needs to call up Laura Dougall, she is a top goalie...

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 07:19:03 PM »
attin-johnson on TV basically sayin jamal and staff can't cut it in concacaf........as we didn already know dat
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2018, 10:18:42 AM »

attin-johnson on TV basically sayin jamal and staff can't cut it in concacaf........as we didn already know dat
Interested to know which coach Maylee has in mind that can take water and make wine, or Carib even..
we have had, Shabazz, Charles, Hood, Pellerud, Waldrum, Morace and a slew of local and International assistants, see overall record below. Just maybe, it's not all Shabazz (or coaches) who can't cut it. I wondering who, and at what cost. Enough with the blame already, Brian Tracy: Just shut up and do it. Haven't read it yet, but Maylee should try something different. At least put the pointing finger down and put on the cap, board and whistle with ah team, help the small club coaches learn. In my recent trip, saw a few girl's teams practice in POS Savannah. Intensity, continuity and numbers are issues. To many small groups, to many coaches, to many experts with their own ideas - my way or highway (or lane). It's like TT to big, yet to small. As alluded to in another post, we seem to be a country of contrast. We want to have cake and eat it too. I don't really know. There are many untapped potential athletes who simply cannot afford it, whether due to time, finances or future interest. Given the state of the Nation and leadership, especially in sport, representing TT is a sacrifice. For young women, very little concrete future benefits, very little reward. Difficult for women sports in many, even more supportive countries. Other than a some exercise for those that can afford, in the overall situation, not really that lucrative. Even our local men catching hell, and they actually have a so-called pro league, where we basically trying to pay a majority of fellas to stay out of crime, rather than develop for bigger markets. IMO,Success for our women football (all our football for that matter) has to firstly come from off the field of play and getting our social priorities and issues in order. For the few that make it, we hardly recognize their efforts, unless they make a noise. Who play left back for our Women National team 5 years ago ? Other than their friends, family, and teammates, the majority of the Country hardly cares, cause they lost. Besides to many have to many other things to think about, real, serious and perceived. As usual, just a point of view.

World Cup record
World Cup Finals
Year   Result   GP   W   D*   L   GF   GA   GD
China 1991   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Sweden 1995   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
United States 1999   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
United States 2003   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
China 2007   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Germany 2011   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Canada 2015   Did Not Qualify   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
Total   0/7   -   -   -   -   -   -   -
*Draws include knockout matches decided on penalty kicks.

U-20 World Cup record
2002 – Did not qualify
2004 – Did not qualify
2006 – Did not qualify
2008 – Did not qualify
2010 – Did not qualify
2012 – Did not qualify
2014 – Did not qualify
2016 – Did not qualify

U-17 World Cup record
2008 – Did not qualify
2010 – Eliminated after preliminary round
2012 – Did not qualify
2014 – Did not qualify
2016 – Did not qualify

Olympics
1996 – Did not qualify
2000 – Did not qualify
2004 – Did not qualify
2008 – Did not qualify
2012 – Did not qualify
2016 – Did not qualify
« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 10:21:18 AM by maxg »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2018, 10:42:04 AM »
Maxg I said many times that our football dev is flawed at every level. ...i have also pointed out the most damming reason for our women not being able to compete well beyond cfu.....when you consider that we almost had success d one time we had ah coach  dat actually got the time to condition his girls into athletes. ...hell we doh even condition we men into athletes, and see dat as ah failure to understand today's game we coaching fraternity

Sent from my SM-J105B using Tapatalk

I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 12:33:56 PM »
Maxg I said many times that our football dev is flawed at every level. ...i have also pointed out the most damming reason for our women not being able to compete well beyond cfu.....when you consider that we almost had success d one time we had ah coach  dat actually got the time to condition his girls into athletes. ...hell we doh even condition we men into athletes, and see dat as ah failure to understand today's game we coaching fraternity

Not just our football development, but our whole pysche..we have more cars on the road, what seem to be more spending money, we travel all over the world, and participate in the best whirl..but our society (including our sports amongst other activities) does not seem to be any further than we were 40 years ago..as a matter of fact it almost seems worse.. we are more violent, more likely to be the victims of crime, more secluded as to travelling locally, more fearful of not getting our dues, there is more white collar crime, which hardly seem to be solved, more drugs, more homeless, more deaths to various sickness, more mental illness, more abandoned children, more bullies , more than 1000 ways to die, though we have 1001 ways to think we living good, pan on the avenue, Carnival, hit the fetes ...oh we so proud, when somebody say, we are the happiest ppl in the west, and we not stopping to reflect on fixing something for what ? Nothing, Yuh mad or wha.."what's in it for me" So why should football or anything not reflect how we live...every other day we damn good, real potential, most other days, we vex, if someone has the audicity to say we wading in "sheet".. Forget that, Forget the line up at the birth registry, Forget the fight some have to do, to give the family a roof, a home, a family..Oh gossh, look how so and so, Fkin up, fire bun he....I doing ok right now, oui, whey we limin later ?  :-\

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »

Not just our football development, but our whole pysche..we have more cars on the road, what seem to be more spending money, we travel all over the world, and participate in the best whirl..but our society (including our sports amongst other activities) does not seem to be any further than we were 40 years ago..as a matter of fact it almost seems worse.. we are more violent, more likely to be the victims of crime, more secluded as to travelling locally, more fearful of not getting our dues, there is more white collar crime, which hardly seem to be solved, more drugs, more homeless, more deaths to various sickness, more mental illness, more abandoned children, more bullies , more than 1000 ways to die, though we have 1001 ways to think we living good, pan on the avenue, Carnival, hit the fetes ...oh we so proud, when somebody say, we are the happiest ppl in the west, and we not stopping to reflect on fixing something for what ? Nothing, Yuh mad or wha.."what's in it for me" So why should football or anything not reflect how we live...every other day we damn good, real potential, most other days, we vex, if someone has the audicity to say we wading in "sheet".. Forget that, Forget the line up at the birth registry, Forget the fight some have to do, to give the family a roof, a home, a family..Oh gossh, look how so and so, Fkin up, fire bun he....I doing ok right now, oui, whey we limin later ?  :-\

I concur we in a real mess......as to the lack of progress....yuh ever notice we become our grandparents in we mid thirties in this country......we don't progress because we are molded by people who can't leave the past behind....and so many bad attitudes are brought forward..........we are too naturally inclined towards selfishness as ah people and what I like to call "Izabigmanism" to justify shit, What yuh supposed to learn when ah old arse man/woman walk in d shop meet 3 people ahead of him/her and proceed to call ah list ah items like everybody else invisible.......selfishness defines us, small acts to big......together we aspire, together we achieve.......yeah........riiiiiiiigggggghhht!!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 04:11:00 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2018, 06:27:15 PM »
I agree, but don't point fingers man..lead by example.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2018, 07:28:22 PM »
I agree, but don't point fingers man..lead by example.
I do, I'm ah contracted officer in d public service and I give the best possible service i can....and I am in tax audit....u should see my "bad cop" tax payer comply so easily because I explain everything as nice as I can...there is such a lack of public education about our tax system it ridiculous so I does do my part to fill d gap....someting dat eh going and happen if yuh first instinct is to be abrasive

« Last Edit: May 24, 2018, 07:31:29 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2018, 10:04:40 PM »
 :salute: :thumbsup:
Thanks for your public service sir

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 04:59:07 PM »
Scoreboard have to be wrong, since I tune in..I can't see our half, but scorboard saying ST Kt 1. We give dem ah distance or what ?  :laugh:

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 07:47:36 PM »
Wda.. poor result. We can't beat st Kitts. Steups..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 08:31:15 PM »
That team was good for six. TBH. TT need some experience players up front or they would not be making 2nd round.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2018, 08:37:51 PM »
They qualified or not.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 12:09:34 AM »
St Louis saves Soca Princesses.

T&T and St Kitts/Nevis shared the points from a 1-1 tied in a hotly contested Concacaf Caribbean Women's Qualifying encounter at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva last night.

But the hosts had to come from a goal down to earn a hard-fought point in a match that they should have won by a wide margin.

St Kitts/Nevis got off to a flying start when defender Ayanna Russell handled the ball in the area in the first minute, and captain Phoenetia Browne stepped up to beat T&T's goalkeeper Saundra Baron from the spot.

The host had numerous opportunities to get the equaliser but failed to get the ball in the net.

Shade got a clear-cut chance when Patrice picked her out in the 28th minute Shade's attempt sailed over the crossbar. And later a neat build-up between Tasha St Louis and Janine Francois ended up at the feet of Jenelle Cunningham, but the defender's shot was pushed wide by Kyra Dickinson in the 32nd.

A minute later St Louis was put through but she shot straight to the outstretched legs of Dickinson.

After the break, St Louis has again gifted a chance at goal when Francois threaded one for her, but with the goal at her mercy, she again shot straight to the goalie.

But the skipper made amends when she curled one in from a free kick on the left side to level the scores in the 80th minute. T&T continued to attack and went for goal when Aaliyah Prince passed to Shade, whose attempt on goal was miraculously headed onto the crossbar before going out.

Both teams will now decide which team will advance from tomorrow's programme. T&T plays Grenada in the feature match at 6.30 pm and need to score as many goals as it can, while St Kitts will play the US Virgin Islands and they also need to score heavy to give their team a chance of qualifying out of the group. Only one team will advance to the next stage.

Results

T&T 1 v St Kitts & Nevis 1

(Teams)

Trinidad and Tobago (4-4-2): 1.Saundra Baron (GK); 4.Rhea Belgrave, 2.Ayana Russell (19.Aaliyah Prince 63), 5.Jenelle Cunningham, 7.Jonelle Cato; 8.Patrice Superville, 14.Karyn Forbes, 11.Janine Francois (18.Naomie Guerra 70), 12.Shanelle Arjoon (16.Kedie Johnson 63); 9.Mariah Shade, 10.Tasha St Louis.

Unused substitutes: 20.Nicolette Craig (GK), 3.Anastasia Prescott, 6.Natasha St Louis, 13.Andrea Young, 15.Taylor Mims, 17.Shaunalee Govia.

Coach: Jamaal Shabazz

St Kitts and Nevis: 18.Kyra Dickinson (GK); 3.Rozel Liburd, 8.Lavern Francis, 12.Tarvia Phillip, 6.Tyra Wilkinson, 10.Leranja Wilkinson (16.Arielle Fernandez 90+2), 15.Allison Williams (4.Shandor Wilkinson 69), 7.Caroline Springer (14.Iyania Bailey-Williams 62), 5.Cloey Uddenberg, 13.Brittney Lawrence, 11.Phoenetia Browne (captain)

Unused substitutes: 1.Tynette McKoy, 2.Juniequa Matthew, 9.Lauren Williams, 17.Christi-anne Mills, 19.Ruzella Tucker, 20.Jasonna Williams.

Coach: Earl Jones

Referee: Suleimy Linares (Cuba)

Standings

P  W  D  L  F  A  Pts
Trinidad and Tobago  3  2  1  0  14  1  7
St Kitts and Nevis  3  2  1  0  13  2  7
Dominica  4  1  1  2  5  6  4
USVI  3  1  0  2  3  13  3
Grenada  3  0  1  2  1  14  1

Upcoming Fixtures

(Sunday 27 May)

St Kitts and Nevis vs USVI, 4pm, Ato Boldon Stadium;

Grenada vs Trinidad and Tobago, 6:30pm, Ato Boldon Stadium.

RELATED NEWS

St Kitts hold Women Warriors 1-1
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

TRINIDAD and Tobago’s chances of advancing to the 2019 FIFA Women’s World Cup in France are still alive but under threat, after battling to a 1-1 draw against a combative St Kitts/Nevis in their 2018 CONCACAF Women’s Championship Qualification Group C top-of-the-table encounter.

In front of an estimated crowd of 1,000 at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, St Kitts captain Phoenetia Browne’s second minute penalty for the Earl Jones-coached outfit was cancelled out by a brilliant free-kick from T&T’s skipper Tasha St Louis in the 79th. The result leaves T&T (with a plus 13 goal difference) and St Kitts/Nevis (with a plus 11 goal difference) both on seven points from three matches with two wins and a draw.

It may well come down to goal difference to determine the group winners, who will then progress to the CONCACAF Women’s Championship Qualification Final Round scheduled for late August.

St Kitts/Nevis will tackle the United States Virgin Islands tomorrow from 4 pm followed by the T&T vs Grenada contest at 6.30 pm.

Browne silenced the home fans with her early penalty which was awarded for a handle-ball infringement by defender Rhea Belgrave. T&T, in the space of a minute, then spurned two good opportunities to equalise.

Janine Francois, unmarked in the penalty box, elected to pass to Patrice Superville instead of shooting to goal, and Superville’s effort was blocked by goalkeeper Kyra Dickinson in the 33rd. Dickinson was called into action a minute later to block Mariah Shade’s left-footed effort.

It was one-way traffic in the second half, but St Kitts/Nevis proved a tough nut to crack, with Dickinson producing an impressive display.

She came off her line to block St Louis, who was sent on goal by Shade, in the 56th. When she was not saving efforts, the crossbar came to her rescue as Karyn Forbes’ long-range try from the left hit the uprights in the 62 nd.

St Louis came to T&T’s rescue with a free-kick, which was pushed into the net by Dickinson’s right-hand, after a foul on Forbes by midfielder Leranja Wilkinson.

And in the last minute, Shade met Prince’s right-sided cross from two yards out but her header smashed off the crossbar and stayed in play.

Earlier on the day, Dominica and Grenada – both out of contention for a spot in the Final Round – battled to a 1-1 draw.

Dominica opened the scoring through Romeicia Phillip after 29 minutes before Monique George replied for the Grenadians in the 64th.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2018, 05:09:06 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>