February 27, 2020, 02:06:11 AM

Author Topic: Charleston Battery signs Leland Archer  (Read 875 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Charleston Battery signs Leland Archer
« on: May 10, 2018, 01:02:57 PM »
Charleston Battery signs former Trinidad and Tobago Youth International, Leland Archer
By Sarah Cardamone (charlestonbattery.com)

The Charleston Battery has signed former College of Charleston standout Leland Archer for the 2018 season, pending USL and USSF approval.

Prior to joining the Battery, Archer played four years at the College of Charleston where he collected several All-Conference accolades, including CAA Defensive Player of the Year in 2017. Archer logged over 6,000 minutes for the Cougars and was one of the CAA’s most dominant defenders throughout his collegiate career. In addition to his impressive defensive play, Archer finished as the team’s leading scorer during his final season at The College.

“Leland was an amazing student-athlete for us during his four years,” said College of Charleston Head Coach Ralph Lundy. “We are so happy that he has signed for the Charleston Battery.  They are incredible club and constantly compete for championships. He will be a great addition and we look forward to seeing him grow at the professional level.”

During high school, Archer attended Fatima College in his native Trinidad where he won North Zone InterCol championship in 2013 and played his way into the Trinidad and Tobago U-17 National Team.

Archer joins fellow Cougar alum, Nico Rittmeyer, on the Battery’s 2018 squad. The College of Charleston has produced several players for the Battery over the last decade. During his 14 seasons as Head Coach and General Manager, Mike Anhaeuser has consistently signed players from the local college including Zach Prince and Shawn Ferguson who both made more than 100 appearances for the Club during their careers.

Player Bio:

Name: Leland Archer
Position: D
Height: 6-4
Date of Birth: January 8, 1996
Hometown: Port of Spain, Trinidad
College: College of Charleston
How acquired: Signed in May of 2018
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Charleston Battery signs Leland Archer
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 12:48:34 PM »
Beyond the Touchline: An interview with Battery defender Leland Archer
By Drew Bartow (soccernsweettea.com)

Soccer ’n’ Sweet Tea goes one-on-one with one of the Battery’s youngest and newest players.

After a stellar collegiate career with the College of Charleston, defender Leland Archer joined the Charleston Battery earlier this year and bolstered a consistently great defensive back line. The 22-year-old has fit right in.

On appearance alone, the 6'4" defender is the epitome of what a defender should be: tall and built like brick wall. The former team captain for the College of Charleston, located just a few miles down the road from MUSC Health Stadium, was the CAA Defender of the Year for 2017 and joins fellow CofC alumni Nico Rittmeyer on the squad.

Archer, born in Port of Spain, Trinidad, played for the Trinidad and Tobago U17 and U20 National Teams and joins fellow Soca Warriors Ataulla Guerra, Neveal Hackshaw, and Skylar Thomas.

Having started eight matches since his mid-May signing and having played in nine, Archer has been splitting his playing time with Thomas, another towering defender at 6'5".

But Archer has been highly impressive and effective on the pitch, especially considering he is just 22 years old and on his first professional contract. He is the second-youngest player on the roster, next to Patrick Okonkwo, the Atlanta United loaned player who just turned 19.

Archers’ stat line for his first 11 appearances, where has started 10 with 929 minutes played:

403 passes, 74.4 percent passing accuracy, 52 clearances, 2 blocks, 15 interceptions, 14 tackles, 42 duels won, 22 aerial duels won.

For this week’s Beyond the Touchline interview, we sat down with Leland to see how soccer is different with the Charleston Battery.

Hey Leland, thanks for joining us. You were born in Trinidad and played on the Trinidad and Tobago U17 and U20 National Teams. How did you choose the College of Charleston?
Coach [Ralph] Lundy came out to watch me play when I was playing for the Trinidad U17 National Team. He liked what he saw and offered me a scholarship, and that is how I came to the College of Charleston.

After a very successful collegiate career, you played in 14 matches with Tormenta FC of the PDL. How did that help you prepare of coming to play for the Battery? What do you want to bring to the pitch on match day?
Tormenta is a great organization so they definitely helped me by allowing me to play over the summer. I bring good qualities defensively, and I am also good at passing the ball, so that helps the team on match days as well.

How is playing with veterans like Ataulla, OB, Taylor, Tah and Neveal helped your game play?
Obviously they are great players and they help me improve my game everyday. Ataulla, especially, has been helping me along in the process of becoming a professional and it has been fun.

I have learned that some players have superstitions and pre-game / post-game rituals, do you have any of those?
Not really. But I usually do not shower to close to game time. And I like to listen to Soca before matches.

(Editors Note: Soca music originated in Trinidad and Tobago is an offshoot of kaiso/calypso, with influences from chutney, cadence, funk and soul.)

What was the most influential piece of advice someone has given you?
To not think so much about what is going on outside and just focus on soccer. Then I can do my job the right way.

For the youth that are playing in local clubs and academies, what advice would you give them that you wish someone told you when you were in say U10; U13?
If you want to become a professional soccer player, keep working hard. You never know when an opportunity will come up, so keep working hard.

Thanks Leland, and good luck in the remainder of the season. Here’s to hopefully seeing you in your first professional playoff game at home in October.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »
Couple btw observations. No real conclusions here   ;D

Archer started at Right Back that Last Game, Guerra, striker, when Hacksaw (left back) came off the bench and provided assist in 88th minute. Guerra was already subbed off. They both(defenders) started in previous, however Guerra was out of lineup.

Guerra hasn't scored in last 5 outings with club, but scored for country last game this month. Was eventually replaced by Hacksaw (defensive tactic).

Starting defensive backs were Aubrey David and ????.

J. Hoyte have started the last 5 games as Right Back for Conference leading FC Cincinnati on 72 points to second place(Pitt) 56 (Goals against -31)

3rd place Louisville Goals against is 5th with Ranjit (GA- 35), 2nd in GD. Marvin Phillip started and won TT last game. However his club stats for TT Pro league cannot be accurately compared. Both Guerra and Hacksaw scored on Ranjit in their meeting on 14th July.

Aprox. 3 games left for league season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 02:13:00 PM »
Guerra hasn't scored in last 5 outings with club, but scored for country last game this month. Was eventually replaced by Hacksaw (defensive tactic).

Actually he hasn't scored in the last 2 outings. He missed three matches because he was suspended for a red card.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 03:19:31 PM »

Actually he hasn't scored in the last 2 outings. He missed three matches because he was suspended for a red card.
noted

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Leland Archer named to USL Team of the Week
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 06:39:26 PM »
Leland Archer named to USL Team of the Week
By Evan Peters (charlestonbattery.com)

Battery defender Leland Archer has been named to the USL Team of the Week following the Battery's 2-0 win over Charlotte Independence this past Sunday.

Archer played a pivotal role in the shutout win making nine clearances and winning seven duels. The former College of Charleston standout tallied two interceptions and six recoveries on the day on his way to Man of the Match honors.

The Team of the Week honor is the first of Archer's career joining teammate Zeiko Lewis who was awarded a reserve role in the Week 2 Team of the Week.

The Battery are on the road this weekend against Bethlehem Steel FC and return home on April 20th to face Nashville SC for 90's night which includes $9 tickets, a vintage car show, the best 90's music, and fireworks after the match!

Tickets are available for purchase at tickets.charlestonbattery.com or by calling (843) 971-GOAL.