March 28, 2024, 01:18:48 PM

Author Topic: TT Footballers launch Can Bou Play Foundation  (Read 4415 times)

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
TT Footballers launch Can Bou Play Foundation
« on: May 30, 2018, 02:14:18 PM »
Can Bou Play out to Give Back
Can Bou Play Foundation Media Release

The Can Bou Play Foundation (CBPL) was officially launched on Monday 28 May at the St Dominic's Pastoral Centre in Diego Martin by a host of names familiar to local football fans. Yohance Marshall, Sean de Silva, Jared Bennett, Akim Armstrong, Elton John, Keston George, Julius James and Amiel Mohammed have stepped forward to pilot this new project.

In his address, Marshall, who scored Trinidad and Tobago's famous last minute equaliser in the 4-4 draw with Mexico in the 2015 Gold Cup, touched on the genesis of the Foundation.

"When the Pro League season ended, we didn't really know what was going to happen. A couple of the guys were there and we wanted to at least keep fit. So we started training together and more and more guys joined."

"Then being together with like minded individuals, we started to think about our options and how we could now give back and be a support system. That movement evolved really quickly and Can Bou Play was formed, " said an excited Marshall.

Can Bou Play Foundation will seek to host mentor and education tours at a minimum of thirty schools, children's homes and football academies across T&T in 2018. As well as pioneer education programmes using sport as a catalyst and produce a video series outlining the highs and lows of local footballers.

Also touched on at the launch was the need for the Foundation to be run as a corporate entity with sustainability at its forefront.

1ndividual Aesthetic has already come on board as the official merchandise partner, while the group already boasts a few burgeoning international partnerships

A few weeks ago, Can Bou Play partnered with US based charity, Around the World's Inc, to distribute over 150 match jerseys and more than 40 balls to children's homes  and organizations across T&T (See attached Video).

Centro Deportivo Canning, an affiliate of Club Athletico Banfield, in Argentina has also issued their formal support for CBPL's long term initiatives.

Former T&T midfielder, and fellow founder Sean de Silva echoed his colleagues sentiments and the need for there to be a positive change in the local football and sports landscape.

"The inspiration behind the name comes from the Canboulay festival which was the precursor to carnival and our music. It was a symbol of freedom and more importantly a freedom of expression. It was a major step and we, the founders, found similarities with what we are trying to do with our movement."

"We decided that there is no better time than the present to give back to our country where we truly need to use sport and education to nurture young men and women into the successful citizens that our country needs to get back on track."

The founders of this ambitious organization have also committed their playing futures to various clubs for the 2018 season.

Marshall, John and George have left 2017 TT Pro League title winners North East Stars to join former Central FC standout, Sean de Silva at Queen's Park Cricket Club in the TT Super League as part of a partnership between QPCC and CBPL.

Former National Beach Soccer player Jared Bennett will suit up for his hometown club of Point Fortin Civic FC and Akim Armstrong will be aiming for a productive first season with Central FC.

Julius James had earlier signed for Atlantic City FC in the NPSL (USA).

Anyone or organization interested in learning more about or partnering with the Can Bou Play Foundation can contact our social media pages @canbouplay or canbouplayfoundation@gmail.com.

Can Bou Play Foundation - ATW Visit

What does Can Bou Play do

What is Can Bou Play

Field of Dreams Ep 117 - Can Bou Play

« Last Edit: October 23, 2018, 02:57:02 AM by Flex »

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Footballers launch Can Bou Play Foundation
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »
Can Bou Play Foundation partnered with US based charity Around the Worlds inc to donate football equipment and host mentor sessions at numerous schools, children's homes and football academies across Trinidad and Tobago

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1KS6IE-HylI&amp;t=16s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1KS6IE-HylI&amp;t=16s</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 03:16:47 PM »
Excellent production by Jono Hirst.. even greater production by the Can Bou Play foundation.. Our football is on the way back.. I saw it every Saturday in the Savannah.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 10:44:54 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/vFuycZUILjc&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/vFuycZUILjc&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/adKS9PchUD0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/adKS9PchUD0</a>

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 12:23:31 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/j5HYpONq-9k&amp;t=17s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/j5HYpONq-9k&amp;t=17s</a>

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2018, 09:04:34 PM »
US Embassy to offer sporting alternatives for T&T’s youth
(Joel Bailey - Newsday)

THE UNITED States Embassy is willing to offer sporting alternatives for the youths of the nation, said John McIntyre, the US Embassy’s Charge d’Affaires.

McIntyre was speaking yesterday at the final day of the embassy’s Sport Diplomacy Soccer AssisTT programme, at the Larry Gomes Stadium, Arima.

The embassy partnered with non-governmental organisation (NGO) Can Bou Play Foundation for a week of coaching and mentoring hundreds of youths throughout Trinidad.

McIntyre said, “This is part of our overall sports envoy programme that we have. It’s an outreach to a lot of different local communities. We did this for over 500 youths. We really want to be involved in the local communities. We are all over TT with our efforts.”

Former US players Tom Dooley and Estelle Johnson were involved in the programme, as sport diplomacy ambassadors.

Mc Intyre continued, “This is part of our outreach that really gives youths an alternative, to allow them a way to get away from crime (and into) positive opportunities.” Yesterday’s session, involving youths from the MiLAT (Military-Led Academic Training) Academy, was badly affected by torrential rains.

Yohance Marshall, former national defender and member of the Can Bou Play Foundation, said, “Our foundation started off earlier in the year. We came together as professional football players, realised we have an impact, a voice, and we wanted to give back to our communities.

“We have been going into the various communities and sharing a little knowledge, doing mentorship programmes and clinics.”

On Monday, a session was held at the Police Barracks in St James with the Police Youth Club and schools in the Diego Martin area. Schools from Rio Claro, Mayaro, Guayaguayare and Biche featured in a session, on Tuesday, in Rio Claro. Two days later, attention switched to Chaguanas and schools from the Central region.

About the partnership with the embassy, Marshall said, “The partnership actually came about after we did a programme in Preysal and San Fernando. LoopTT was on board, they did a piece on it and I guess the US Embassy saw it, and then they reached out to us about this project they had coming up.”

McIntyre hinted that there may be possibilities for aspiring footballers from this programme to obtain football scholarships in the US.

“We have our college fair coming up next week at the Hyatt,” he said. “That’s an opportunity for youths to learn about US colleges. But we will work with people to get them an idea of what’s available in the US, because there (are) so much opportunities.

“The youth of T&T have so much talent, we really want to partner with them.”

Marshall does not intend this project to be simply a one-off.

“We’re going to try to do this as a repeat, something holistic, where we continue to see their progress until the end of the year,” said the Queen’s Park defender. “We do have a lot of places to visit, where we do follow-ups. We are an NGO and we do our own funding. We’re looking for sponsorship. We’re looking for people to come on board and help us out.”

He added, “We did get some help from the Ministry of Education and we are currently speaking with the Ministry of Sport to see how we can get some things going.”

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:08:58 PM »
Can Bou Play Foundation partnered with the US Embassy in Port of Spain to conduct a Sport Diplomacy Program across different communities in Trinidad and Tobago. Episode 1 features Rio Claro, Mayaro, Biche and Guayaguayare and Sport Diplomacy Ambassador Estelle Johnson and Olympian Cleopatra Borel.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/LNu3h4-e298&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/LNu3h4-e298&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 10:18:20 AM »
Episode 2 features ambassador - former USA National Team captain and assistant coach Thomas Dooley and the Chaguanas area.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nU7Kug3aPEA&amp;feature=youtu.be" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nU7Kug3aPEA&amp;feature=youtu.be</a>

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 11:45:54 PM »
Founder Elton John signs for HFX Wanderers FC
(Can Bou Play Foundation Media)

Founding director of the Can Bou Play Foundation, Elton John, has signed for Halifax Wanderers FC in the newly formed Canadian Premier League for the inaugural 2019 season.

“This one is for the Can Bou Play family,” said an elated John.

“I look forward to the great opportunity and new challenge and thank Halifax Wanderers FC for accepting me to join. I would like to help build a new Halifax family together and also create history. "

John will link up with former Trinidad and Tobago Senior team head coach Stephen Hart who was appointed as general manager/head coach in June 2018 and another familiar face in assistant coach Derek King.

John captained King’s North East Stars team to the 2017 TT Pro League title and was eager to team up with him once again.

“I am extremely grateful to be called upon and given this opportunity by coaches that are held in such high regard and hold such great portfolios,” stated John. “It’s a very unique situation for me because I understand the requirements of both Mr Hart and assistant coach King.”

“It’s a great feeling to know that all the hard work that I have put into football over the years, has not gone unseen.”

The decorated midfielder joined fellow football professionals and founded the Can Bou Play Foundation in 2018 to offer high impact mentor and education sessions across Trinidad and Tobago that uses football as a catalyst.

The organization has grown from strength to strength and conducted no fewer than forty outreaches in 2018, including overseeing the US Embassy’s Sport Diplomacy project in October.

According to John, this is just the first of many great things for the Foundation as positivity is rewarded with positivity.

“I would like to share this bit of success with my brothers at Can Bou Play – a group of the best professional footballers and administrative personnel I know.”

“It’s a group who never stops believing and sharing their time and knowledge in communities to inspire future generations and even with each other. It’s special.”

"To know and see the impact that we are having and to see the smiles and eagerness on the children's faces like at the St Mary's Childrens Home and in Chaguanas, is like knowing that we are doing something right."

Derek King, who recently won the 2018 TT Super League with FC Santa Rosa also paid compliment to work being done by John and Can Bou Play.

"It's a great programme using sports as a catalyst for growth and education of children. Sports and education are key in society and it works hand in hand," said King.

"One must excel at both simultaneously and this is what this programme aims to achieve by inspiring kids throughout T&T to use these tools to be successful in life."

John will be joined at Halifax by Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Jan Michael Williams, Akeem Garcia and Andre Rampersad who were all unveiled as the first big wave of foreign signings for the Canadian outfit.

“Can’t wait to reunite with some of my old team mates like Jan, another great professional who I won multiple titles with at Central FC and young Garcia, "said John.

“Hoping to go there and fly the T&T flag high, while representing my community – the congo of Arima, my family and Can Bou Play and open new doors for fellow T&T players.”

Elton John’s announcement will be the first of many for the Can Bou Play Foundation in 2019. Keep following #CanBouPlay.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 06:31:42 PM »
Sean de Silva heads to Iceland

Can Bou Play Foundation director and Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Sean De Silva​ has signed for Haukar FC in the Icelandic first division for the 2019 season.

The former T&T youth international who played in the 2007 Under -17 and 2009 Under-20 FIFA World Cups, is currently in Dennis Lawrence’s provisional training squad in preparation for T&T’s friendly with Wales on 20 March 2019.

To say that he is elated at this new step in his career would be an understatement.

“It’s just an amazing feeling to be given this opportunity to head to Europe to ply my trade as a footballer which is something I’ve always wanted to do,” said de Silva.

“I’ve always wanted to play in Europe at some point.”

“I’m just excited to get there, get acclimatized as quickly as possible and just produce for the team to get results.”

The talented midfielder established his name at Central FC wining a hat-trick of TT Pro League titles and two Caribbean (CFU) Club Championships and now joins fellow Can Bou Play Founder Elton John in moving abroad for the 2019 season.

John was snapped up by new Canadian Premier League outfit Halifax Wanderers FC, who is coached by former T&T National Senior Team head coach Stephen Hart and assistant Derek King.

“I think it’s fantastic for Can Bou Play.”

“To be given an opportunity like Elton has in Canada, which is more than deserved for him as well, is great. We are all really, really happy for him,” continued de Silva.

“Hopefully once I do well enough, it’s going to open up more doors and opportunities for other young players who we can identify as ready to be in a professional environment to maybe make it at the next level to provide them with that avenue to even just see if it’s something they want to do.”

Can Bou Play Foundation’s organizational chief Amiel Mohammed, was equally delighted with the new opportunities for his fellow directors and the potential it has to open avenues  for young aspiring players.

“Elton and Sean are testaments to professionalism and being leading role models,” stated Mohammed.

“These opportunities to showcase their talent on the international stage are ones that I know they don’t take likely.”

“We set out on this Can Bou Play journey to really create more for and guide the younger generations so whether it’s by being an example by performing on the field in Iceland or opening up more doors for player development and professional contracts, its right up our alley.”

And while he may be tempted to sit back and soak in his achievements, after scoring 16 goals and notching 17 assists for QPCC in the TT Super League last term, de Silva already has his sights set on pushing the bar higher.

“On a personal basis, I want to establish my name in the league as a top player and gain interest from not only other top clubs there but clubs possibly outside of there, who look to Iceland for players.”

“I always want to keep pushing, learning and playing at the highest level. “

De Silva is expected to depart for Iceland on 11 March.

Can Bou Play would be making a few more big announcements over the next few weeks regarding new members and projects but for right now, the focus is fully on congratulating de Silva and wishing him well.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 11:47:41 PM »
Former T&T Youth International Trio join Can Bou Play

Former Trinidad and Tobago National Youth Football trio of Robert Primus, Brendon Creed and Leland Archer have joined the ranks of the Can Bou Play Foundation (CBP).

CBP, a mentor and education organization that was founded by T&T professional footballers, was an obvious fit for the young trio who were each keen to get involved in community building and philanthropy.

“I was so glad to see a group like this being established in Trinidad and Tobago,” said 22 year old Creed.

“I was encouraged to see footballers doing their part to make our country a better place through mentorship. I had also looked up to some of the founders while I was making my own journey as a young footballer, so I was honoured to come on board and assist wherever I can. “

Creed’s former national Under-17 and Under-20 team mate, Leland Archer, echoed his comments and was quick to offer his services to the CBP mission.

“I knew that [CBP] were doing the right things by going into communities and starting this football initiative with some of the kids that don’t necessarily have the access to it. Obviously I wanted to be a part of that as it’s giving back to the community,” stated Archer.

“The first visit I did with Can Bou Play was really an eye opener in how joy is brought to these kids through football. I enjoyed it.”

Archer is currently in his second year at USL club Charleston Battery after starring as a towering defender at the College of Charleston and was recently noted as being on T&T National Senior team head coach, Dennis Lawrence’s radar. 

While he can count on the advice of ace T&T attacking midfielder and Battery teammate Ataulla Guerra, he is also grateful for the tutelage from the CBP founders during off season training sessions.

“It was a good experience learning from those fellas [like} Yohance, Julius and also Georgie,” said Archer.

“The kind of experience that those fellas have is always good. You’re always learning in football. So it was a great opportunity training with them. “

At 28 years old, Primus is the elder statesman of the trio having played alongside Can Bou Play founder Sean de Silva in the T&T national Under-17 and Under-20 Youth World Cup teams in 2007 and 2009.

In 2019, the defender who had stints in Europe, will now take his football journey to Asia to sign with Minerva Punjab FC in India’s I-League.  Minerva Punjab FC is currently in preparations for the group stage of the AFC Cup.

It’s definitely a completely new experience for the well-travelled defender but one in which he hopes he can use to inspire the next generation.

“Knowing that you are still playing and being able to inspire the younger ones is very powerful,” said Primus. “It’s really inspiring to me.”

“I think we have the right minds, the right senior players like Yohance, Keston George, Akim Armstrong, etc.”

“This group of fellas here can really go a long way and develop a lot of kids in the right directions. I believe we really have a strong bunch here to really push the Can Bou Play Foundation.”

While many of the founders and new members explore their football aspirations abroad, Creed will take up the role of Education Manager within the Can Bou Play framework.

Creed, who recently graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering, tutors CSEC and CAPE Mathematics and Physics while he assesses his playing options after helping Police FC to a fourth place finish in the TT Pro League last season.

His new mandate will see him collaborate with other education stakeholders to incorporate subtle academic learning exercises into mentorship seminars and training sessions.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2019, 11:06:34 AM »
Can Bou Play Continues Icelandic Affair - Trio Join Einherji
(Can Bou Play Media)

Founders of the Can Bou Play Foundation Jared Bennett and Akim Armstrong along with new recruit, goalkeeper Javon Sample have joined Einherji in the Icelandic third division to continue the Foundation’s romance with the European nation.

“What was once a “what if” is now a reality,” said an elated Bennett. “It gives me a sense of fulfillment that my brother [Akim], who I’ve shared experiences with off the pitch spreading love through football with the young generation, I’ll now be sharing the pitch with for the upcoming season.”

This move will see them go head to head versus fellow founders Keston George and Yohance Marshall who signed for Kordrengir FC and recently returned to Iceland from pre-season preparations in Barcelona.

It is a match up that Bennett is eagerly anticipating.

“Not sure if they’re aware yet but when we meet up with the choirboys [Kordrengir], it’s a derby!” said Bennett.

“Although we’re not on the same team, the fact that Sean, Yohance and Keston are also in Iceland, is a blessing.”

Armstrong, who will be taking up a player/coach role with the club, also sang from the same hymn sheet and believes that these Icelandic opportunities are just blessings for all the hard work.

“I’m delighted to know that my Can Bou Play brothers are doing well and now that Jared and I are the last two pieces of the puzzle to go on overseas contracts and also join three more founders, is a great feeling. “

“It means we are doing something good and God is allowing our light to shine. “

And while coaching is definitely a new experience for him, it is one that he welcomes with open arms especially at this stage in his career.

“Now that I’m in my 30s and I don’t have a very long time in the game again as a player, it’s a good opportunity to start thinking about that aspect of the game,” admitted Armstrong.

“It’s a new challenge how I look at it and I embrace it but it is good that I get the opportunity to play and coach.”

Both Bennett and Armstrong had brief spells in Finland early on in their careers but this will be Sample’s first contract outside of Trinidad and Tobago.

The former T&T Under-23 team goalkeeper has won numerous local accolades as well as being instrumental in Central FC’s 2016 CFU Club Championship triumph.

The trio is expected to be in action for Einherji this weekend, while George, Marshall and Sean de Silva should all make their respective league debuts for Kordrengir and Haukar FC as well.

Across the pond, founder Elton John will be hoping to help Halifax Wanderers FC bounce back from their opening game loss when their host Forge FC in their much anticipated home opener.

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2019, 11:18:06 AM »
Keep-Ups with Can Bou Play - Episode 2

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ObyGfPucgTg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ObyGfPucgTg</a>

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Can Bou Play & Mindology Launch Sport In Mind - Mental Health Program
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2019, 08:43:35 PM »
The Can Bou Play Foundation and Mindology Trinidad have teamed up to launch the Sport In Mind – Mental Health Program which ushers in a new era on how mental health is approached in Trinidad and Tobago and how sport can operate as a great tool to tackle various mental challenges and the stigma attached to the mental health discussion. 

Alexandria Olton of Mindology Trinidad, a sport psychological practice, needed little convincing in partnering with Can Bou Play for this initiative and believes that in the face of mounting societal pressures, youth can find a healthy tonic from sport, especially when its guided.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/y3wSTO3l1Aw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/y3wSTO3l1Aw</a>

“Sport for me was always an escape from the stresses of my academic and work-life. A solace, a mental break that provided a sense of fulfilment and belonging,” proclaimed Olton.  ‘The Sport In Mind Program aims to provide the very solace and escape I found within my own sporting career, to the young people of our society today.”

Sport In Mind will run every Wednesday from 4 to 6 pm at the Ultimate Indoor Facility (Aranguez), to provide a safe and welcoming space for adolescents to participate in a multitude of sports (primarily football) with highly qualified technical coaches; provided by the Can Bou Play Foundation, and engage in one to one and group discussions, workshops and idea sharing spaces with sport psychologist Olton.

The target demographic of the program is adolescents 15 years and older and is free to participants.

Olton continued, “The impact sport and exercise can have on one’s mental wellbeing is so beneficial that the Royal College of Psychiatrists recognize exercise prescription as a form of treatment for a wide range of mental health conditions.”

In 2012, then Minister of Health, revealed that 1 in 4 people in our society are suffering with mental illness. Furthermore, it was stated, 21.5% of students admitted to feeling sad or hopeless almost every day to the extent that they stopped participating in their usual activities. Trinidad and Tobago also has the third highest suicide rate in the region, and more suicides per 100,000 people than even the United States.

Feature speaker at the launch, President of the T&T Association of Psychologists, Dr Margaret Nakhid-Chatoor echoed Olton’s sentiments and was extremely pleased with the approach taken by the Sport In Mind team to remedy these pervasive issues.

“The Trinidad and Tobago Association for Psychologists welcomes this initiative, Sport In Mind,” stated Dr Nakhid-Chatoor.

“If you don’t know it, mental illness in the young people in Trinidad and Tobago, the rates between the ages of 14 to 29 are increasing. Earlier this year, so far in the schools, we have on record, more than twenty four students that have died by suicide not only in secondary schools, but in the primary schools.“

“Mental health and physical health are fundamentally linked. There are multiple associations between poor mental health and chronic physical conditions… so we are hoping that S.I.M. would be able to offer a refuge, which is a safe space to rebuild one self, for those in schools and others. “

The Sport In Mind Program will run for an initial five month period from September 2019 to January 2020 with students from the San Juan/Barataria/Aranguez catchment area as well as a contingent from the Tableland Sports Club, though more participants are welcomed.

Can Bou Play CEO Amiel Mohammed urged more collaboration between sporting, governmental and corporate agencies to allow for programs such as Sport In Mind to flourish.

“We can’t keep operating in silos. Through true and honest collaboration we could really make a difference. The puzzle that I invited everyone to assemble here today represents just that. Everyone has their own unique piece to add to the larger puzzle to make it great.”

“Can Bou Play is truly proud of our collaboration with Mindology and having great partnerships with Creamery Novelties (Hadco), Dairy Distributors Limited, Republic Bank, Agility Sports, HD Media and of course the Ultimate Indoor Facility for Sport In Mind.”

“Everything is a cycle. When our founders and coaches come to the S.I.M. sessions they are also going to learn from Alexandria and that would only improve their skillsets to be used when they then go out to our outreaches in communities, schools, differently-abled institutes etc,” Mohammed concluded.

Those interested in joining the Sport In Mind sessions or partnering with the “only program of its kind at the developmental level of youth sport in Trinidad” as Olton describes it, can contact Can Bou Play Foundation or Mindology at their respective social media pages or visit the Ultimate Indoor Facility.

“If we as Mindology Trinidad and the Can Bou Play foundation, together with local businesses, are able to provide a program that can act as a method of prevention, or as a support mechanism for our youth who are suffering, prone to experiencing mental ill-health or simply looking for an escape…Then why shouldn’t we?” - Alexandria Olton.   

« Last Edit: September 22, 2019, 08:52:41 PM by amielisadore »

Offline amielisadore

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2019, 10:04:55 PM »
EITC BACKS NEW MENTAL HEALTH PROGRAMME IN TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO
(via Everton - https://www.evertonfc.com/news/1495773/eitc-backs-new-mental-health-programme-in-trinidad-and-tobago?fbclid=IwAR1wikHqsR9P1PjD643V24EpkMXAQY1xBjXDIBNNz6BcYRIcQh526Bem3_g)

Everton in the Community (EitC) has thrown its weight behind a new mental programme in Trinidad and Tobago, offering expert support and advice to the initiative.

The Can Bou Play Foundation and Mindology Trinidad have teamed up to launch ‘Sport in Mind’, a programme which will focus on how mental health is approached in Trinidad and Tobago.

Sport in Mind will aim to use sport a tool to tackle various mental challenges and overcome the stigma attached to the mental health discussion.

EitC Health and Wellbeing Manager Johnnie Garside has been on hand to support the new programme. He has provided advice regarding how the Club’s official charity has delivered mental health specific sports programmes for more than a decade, as well as providing insight and best practice guidelines to help Can Bou Play and Mindology Trinidad formalise appropriate referral pathways for the new project.

Offering his thoughts on the new Sport in Mind programme, Garside said: “Mental illness is a global issue, so the need to share ideas and methods to help support those affected by it is of paramount importance.

“Therefore, the opportunity to help support the Can Bou Play Foundation develop and officially launch its new targeted mental health programme was something EitC was very keen to support. We look forward to continuing our relationship together.”

Sport in Mind will provide a safe and welcoming space for young people aged 15+ to participate in a multitude of sports with highly qualified technical coaches provided by the Can Bou Play Foundation. Sport in Mind particpants will also engage in one-to-one and group discussions, workshops and idea sharing spaces with a sports psychologist Alexandria Olton of Mindology Trinidad.

Trinidad and Tobago has the third highest suicide rate in the Carribbean region. Also, 21.5% of college students have admitted to feeling sad or hopeless almost every day and that they have stopped participating in their usual activities.

For more information on Sport in Mind visit https://www.canbouplayfoundation.com/cbp-mindology-launch-sport-in-mind

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CBP & partners bring relief to families in need
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 10:30:45 AM »
CBP & partners bring relief to families in need
canbouplayfoundation.com

Can Bou Play Foundation (CBP), a mentor and education organization run by professional footballers, has partnered with other stakeholders to offer food support in the form of hampers to those in need during these tough economic times caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

CBP received a grant donation from GlobalGiving in partnership with 3M to provide the hampers and collaborated with Hesed House and members of the Trinidad and Tobago Police Service to work out the distribution logistics.

"I'm grateful to be able to work with GlobalGiving and 3M and of course our friends at Hesed House for giving us, and me the opportunity to help out in my community and the other communities too," said CBP founder Akim Armstrong. "We get to basically do something that we always loved doing which is helping out in whatever way that we could and now people really need that bit extra."

Fifty hampers were distributed last weekend to needy families of the children who are part of CBP and the US Embassy's Safety Pitch after-school program in Diego Martin, as well as to families in the hometown communities of CBP founders such as Maloney, St Ann's and Belmont. Arrangements are being made to have another distribution within the next two weeks.

CBP CEO Amiel Mohammed is extremely grateful for all the support towards the initiative and encouraged others to help out those less fortunate directly or by supporting similar NGOs and social organizations.

"We have been blessed to be able to provide some relief to those facing difficulty right now," said Mohammed.

"We continue to be inspired by hearing the stories of organizations and individuals who are making a positive difference. Especially during these times, its important to see positive news and be inspired."

"Sometimes it's easy to get stuck in apathy. Even some of the [Can Bou Play] guys have found ourselves there from time to time. That's why it's important to support each other when we are surrounded by negatives. That little bit of inspiration goes a long way."

Mohammed outlined that those wishing to support their food hamper drive or those wishing to assist a particular family and don't know how to, can contact them at 755-3734 or canbouplayfoundation@gmail.com.

Additionally, the Foundation would also like to invite individuals who have used tablets and laptops to donate them to the Can Bou Play's education drive overseen by member Brendon Creed. These items will be distributed to students from the Safety Pitch program who greatly need them to be able to access online learning platforms.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>