March 29, 2024, 07:55:33 AM

Author Topic: Field Hockey  (Read 3752 times)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Field Hockey
« on: May 05, 2008, 04:51:50 AM »
Well this last week I saw my first ever field hockey game while I was volunteering at the Womens World Hockey Olympic Qualifier here in Victoria. I ran into a couple of Trini Women, one who was an official and the other was with the parallel youth group that was here to learn more about field hockey.
There were 6 teams.
Korea, Italy, Malaysia, Ireland, Uruguay, and Canada.
I have to ask...
What is it with calling a foul when the ball hits a players leg?
I noticed that when a team is having a hard time moving the ball up field they just hit the ball to the legs of the opposition.
I find that this slows the game down considerably. One person I was talking to said that they had to get rid of the off side rule for the same reason. It was slowing down the game.
Anyway, watching the Korean Women, who won the qualifying tournament, play was a treat as they moved the ball around with ease.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 10:53:00 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
Re: Field Hockey
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 11:33:16 AM »
Knock on, or playing the ball with a body part (in particular the feet), exists in hockey similar to how hand ball exists in football. In addition to that both the stick and the ball can be dangerous so the rule also protects the players. The only player allowed to use any part of their body is the goalkeeper as you would have noticed and look at the kind of equipment they use.

Also, think about football when a player is trapped in a corner and they kick the ball off of the defender to win a throw. Playing for free hits is just a tactic of the game. In particular for teams who aren't as strong at moving the ball around. The better teams in the world do that a lot less. It's like watching Rangers of Scotland play football and then watching Arsenal ... one team is not good at moving the ball and so they are more tactical or methodical in their approach and the other team flows better, moves the ball around and while still playing tactical ball.

As for the offside rule it opened the game up, rather than speeding it up. Again, a weaker team could contain a stronger opponent with a well rehearsed offside trap. Now the team is forced to defend the length of the field and cannot rely on a negative tactic. Because of safety issues field hockey will have a lot more whistling in the game than football. As one understands the game and the more you see of better teams the easier it becomes to watch. So if you want to remain interested in hockey don't watch club matches in T&T.  :)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 11:47:20 AM »
hear nuh Wolfman, as a brand new spectator to the game it was so refreshing to watch when the Koreans were playing.
the closest game they won was 4-0
the best game of the tournament was between Italy and Ireland for second place, as they were very close. Ireland was supposed to win but had a bad game and Italy came away with the victory.
do you know any of the TrinBagonians who came up?
apparently there were people from 42 countries taking part in the clinics.
I was not aware that they would be here as I only recently was told of a need for extra volunteers.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 11:55:54 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 05:19:43 PM »
KWESI EMMANUEL.

http://www.guardian.co.tt/sports/2018-07-16/i-salute-kwasi-emmanuel

It was sad to read about death of Kwesi, just as he was about to go to the CAC games. Plus he is from my almer mater QRC. RIP Royalian! God picked a different path for you.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2018, 03:57:30 PM »
T&T women team beat Guatemala 12-0.

1]; } ?>