April 25, 2024, 03:56:44 PM

Author Topic: Calmness at the ‘Warriors’ Plaza.  (Read 6717 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Calmness at the ‘Warriors’ Plaza.
« on: November 11, 2005, 03:03:13 PM »
Now T&T must beat them in Bahrain.
T&T Express Reports.
[/size]

It was not the result they wanted. But midfielder Chris Birchall's equaliser against Bahrain still kept Trinidad and Tobago's Germany World Cup 2006 hopes alive yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Port of Spain.
It earned the national team a one-all draw to take across to the Persian Gulf.
Although coach Leo Beenhakker had talked about taking a victory to the second-leg match against Bahrain on November 16, the away-goal, scored by striker Salman Isa Ghulum Ali in the 72nd minute, means that the Bahrainis would be the more satisfied side before the crucial return leg in their capital city, Manama.
In the first half, the two teams started off tentatively, with slow build-ups, seeming to feel each other out during the opening minutes.
Bahrain, coached by Croatian-born Luka Peruzovic and known for their defensive strength, attempted to crowd the midfield and put as many men behind the ball, playing the ball as much time as possible in front of them.
The visitors effectively shadowed, pressured and cramped veteran T&T playmakers Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke for space, reducing their effectiveness significantly.
That took Stern John completely out of the game, the striker getting one touch on the ball for the entire half.
On the other hand, Bahrain's attacking options were limited to launching quick counter-attacks as far back as from their goalkeeper, Ali Hussan Ali, while the Warriors, unlike in their previous game against Mexico, were uncertain moving the ball forward and unsure in defence.
But despite cautious approaches by both teams during that period, midfielder Chris Birchall managed to trouble Hassan Ali after seven minutes, a breakdown in possession leading to Birchall driving from 20 metres only for Hussan Ali to deflect the shot for a corner.
It was a good save from a good goalkeeper who would pull off more heroics later.
Meanwhile, Bahrain picked up their offensive game with some heavy on-rushing midfield play that led to Husain Ali Ahmed, open, striking agonisingly just shy on the wrong side of Kelvin Jack's left upright in the 24th minute.
But T&T gradually moved their game forward to good effect, forcing Hasan Ali into another good save.
The first was in the 41st minute from Dennis Lawrence who saw the Bahrain "goalie" dive down low to save his well-directed header from a Birchall right-side cross.
Then, two minutes later, Yorke's shot on the turn from a John head-down was desperately deflected by a protruded foot from a Bahrain defender.
Second half, a more purposeful start saw T&T putting more players forward, which led to Yorke shooting wide after Aurtis Whitley fed him at the top of the box.
But Bahrain counter-attacked effectively. From one such counter, Ghulum Ali took a perfect header from a left side corner, driving past Jack to make it 1-0.
Birchall, however, sent the sell-out crowd into hysteria when he scorched a 20- metre blast that rocketed into the net in the 76th minute.
The draw was not what either coach Beenhakker or the capacity crowd desperately desired. But at least it kept hopes alive.

Teams:

T&T
Kelvin Jack, Marvin Andrews, Dennis Lawrence, Avery John, Silvio Spann, Christopher Birchall, Aurtis Whitley, Dwight Yorke (capt), Carlos Edwards, Russell Latapy (Jason Scotland 64th), Stern John (Kenwyne Jones 80th).

Bahrain
Ali Hassan Ali (GK), 14-Salman Isa Ghulum Ali (Saouzi Mubarak Aaish 87th), 16-Sayed Mohamed Adnan, 17-Husain Ali Hasan, 29-Mohamed Ahmed Hubail, 7-Sayed Mahmood Jalal, 8-Rashed Abdul Rahman, 10-Mohamed Ahmed Salmon (capt), 3-Abdulla Aa Rahman, 13-Talal Yusuf Mohamed, 9-Husain Ali Ahmed (Alaa Ahmed Hubail 45th).
We played below our level says Beenhakker.
By: Kwame Williams.

“We played way below our level.” This was how T&T football team coach Leo Beenhakker described his team’s performance after the Warriors’ 1-1 tie with Bahrain in the first leg of its World Cup 2006 qualifying play-off with Bahrain, yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
The normally reserved Dutchman was visibly disappointed by the result but said he took solace in the fact that his outfit did not play to the best of its ability.
“Well it’s a little bit two-sided for me, because the result was a little disappointing, but on the other end I can live with the draw simply because my team didn’t play very well,” Beenhakker said.
“We knew from the beginning that Bahrain was a tough opponent and from the moment we knew we had to play these games I told my players you have to play on the level you played Mexico, which was a very good match from our side.
I have to say we played far below our normal level, so we have to accept it. Sometimes it happens in football. Not everyday is the same day,” he added.
Beenhakker was unhappy that Bahrain was allowed to control the match at different periods, blaming T&T’s play in the midfield for this.
“If you don’t play the way you know you can, you’re always disappointed. You’re always looking for two things—playing a good game and as a result of playing a good game, winning a match,” he said.
“There were many periods which they managed the game, which I don’t like , but that’s the consequence of my own team not playing very well,”
He singled out midfielders Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy and goal scorer Chris Burchall, saying he knew they were capable of doing more.
T&T’s play in the second half was improved from its display in the first, which saw the teams going into the break tied scoreless.
Beenhakker creditted this to Yorke’s being pushed up from the middle of the park to partner lone striker Stern John, replacing Latapy with Jason Scotland midway through the period and then switching John with Southampton striker Kenwyne Jones.
The former Holland national team coach, Beenhakker, was adamant though that the local team still had a very good chance of qualifying for next year’s World Cup in Germany when it faces Bahrain in the return leg on Wednesday in Bahrain.
Luka Peruzovic, coach of Bahrain, was pleased by his team’s showing, saying: “I think it was a very good game. My players worked hard for this result, but there is still another match in Bahrain that we have to prepare for.”
“We played good in the midfield, stopping them (T&T) from playing the way they normally play. I have to say in the end though that 1-1 is a fair result.”
Dwight Yorke: It’s far from over.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Trinidad and Tobago skipper Dwight Yorke made it clear that all is not lost despite his team only being able to muster a 1-1 draw at home to Bahrain in Saturday’s World Cup qualifying half slot playoff.
Yorke and his teammates, some disappointed, were still able to keep their heads off and were warmly received after by their fans, many who lined the streets of Port of Spain on the team’s journey back to the Crowne Plaza Hotel.
Several chased the bus and applauded from the sidewalks while others also waited at the Crowne Plaza to applaud them and let them know that their support was still there going into Wednesday’s return leg. A group of about  a dozen Bahrain visitors who were at the game also waited and clapped each T&T player as they walked through the lobby at the Crowne Plaza on returning after the match. That was followed by a big shout for Yorke who came in last. The vibes put a smile on the player’s faces and following a team talk led by Beenhakker after dinner, the “Warrors” were left knowing exactly what must be done to complete the mission.
The team, scheduled to leave the Hotel at midnight for the Piarco International Airport ahead of their charter flight with some 200 fans including His Excellency, the President Maxwell Richards and FIFA Vice President Jack Warner.
“I want to say that this game is far from over. There’s still a next game to play. We know that the fans, the whole nation will be disappointed with the result and maybe the performance. But we know what needs to be done now and that certainly is going to Bahrain and winning and putting it away,” Yorke said.
“I am very happy about the character my team showed after we went behind because before I think there were times when we would just fold up but we responded well and while I have been fortunate to see a lot of really good goals in my career, Chris Birchall’s striker was a very good one and he deserves full credit for that,” Yorke said.
“Now we must go there and put our heads together again and do what is necessary to realize this dream of ours. We have to still fancy our chances and there’s no reason to think that we are not capable of still doing it,” Yorke ended.
Meanwhile, Trinidad and Tobago head coach Leo Beenhakker remained a confident man after tying Bahrain 1-1 before a partisan crowd of 24,991 fans in the 2006 World Cup qualifying half slot playoff at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Saturday.
We now have to prepare ourselves for the second match and in that way it’s still what I said before this game which is that both teams have a 50 percent possibility. This 50 percent from our side is still there,” Beenhakker said after the match. “One again, we have to look for a solution within three of four days.”
Commenting on the better second half showing by T&T, he added “I think first of all we brought (midfielder) Dwight Yorke more up front together with Stern John and Russell was not very much in the game and we tried to do it with Jason Scotland and Kenwyne Jones and we saw something a little bit different,” he added.
Beenhakker added that he didn’t think the slippery conditions caused by rainfall earlier in the day affected his team.
When asked about whether his team didn’t play well under the pressure of the overwhelming response of the home fans all clad in red.
“They are humans as well… football players.
“I don’t know yet. I have to talk to guys about it. I think that what I saw, there was a lot of pressure and some of these players made many technical mistakes which is not normal for these players.”
He didn’t feel Bahrain played far higher than their usual level.
“That’s the way I see they normally play. They weren’t above their usual level.”
The plan for the next match is the same as this one, which is to win,” Beenhakker ended. “Now we must be prepared to go there and get that result and give that performance to bring it home.”
News from the 12th of November 2005.
[/size]

While the melee  for tickets went on from the wee hours of Friday morning, the members of the National Football Team were being professional and were keeping all thoughts on their last training session, the opponent Bahrain and the 90 minutes of their lives from 6:30pm on Saturday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.
Coach Leo Beenhakker, on a late request from FIFA, had to show up for a press conference at the Calypso Room of the Crowne Plaza hotel along with skipper Dwight Yorke at 11am to address the media ahead of the all important match and soon after had to get his mind in order for a team meeting which was followed by lunch at 12:30pm. In between that, the excitement continued growing at the Crowne Plaza hotel lobby as talks about the match and ticket sales was heard all around and those present tried to sneak up close to their favourite players for photographs and signings.
At one point, during the local cuisine lunch, a young lady somehow managed to get through the doors and came up to one of the tables before Beenhakker had to instantly ask her about her whereabouts.
“Coach all I want to do is wish the team the very best for tomorrow’s game,” the nervous yet smiling long hair fan said and in turn received smiles and quick words of appreciation from Beenhakker and his men.
It was a strong hint that order was in place and that the mental preparedness of the team was being kept in tact by Beenhakker.
A lot of the time has been spent, not just talking about Saturday’s match but also for reflecting on past experiences from hearing about the 1974 campaign,  the days of playing football in each other’s backyards to the 1989 experience to going through the tough rides leading up to November 12 and 16, 2005. They were all aware that the final session would not be a rigorous one, as is custom before a match and as such ensuring a proper state of the mind was as important as the readiness of the legs.
“I think there’s a lot that can be said from our younger days from playing football in the yards in Laventille to then reaching to a decent level with our clubs and then having a chance now to play in a World Cup at what is definitely the twilight of some of our careers,” Latapy said.
Shaka Hislop mentioned the fact that back in 1974 while the likes of Franz Beckenbauer and Pele were the stars who youngsters looked up to and in 1989 the Strike Squad possessed different players but yet at the time, there were international stars that home-based players had to look up to, this time around, there are sufficient pros among the “Warriors” that now pose as role models for the T&T youth.
“That’s something that makes us proud and in a sense give us that responsibility that we know we have something to live up to,” Hislop told TTFF Media.
He asked the question on what may have transpired to the likes of Latapy, Yorke and others had the team qualified in 1989, “and now you have the likes of Densill Theobald, Scott Sealy, Carlos Edwards, Silvio Spann faced with this situation. Qualification for them now means more or even just the same as it did for us back then and even today.
He said that strength of the team is really the tight spirit both on and off the field. “There’s a very relaxed and yet professional camaraderie in the team,” Hislop said.
Apart from the talks, with one session taking place at the Stadium on the evening, the players, including the livewire of the camp Brent Sancho,  were all trying to ensure that the fine tuning was being done. English-born midfielder Chris Birchall was even rehearsing the T&T national anthem in his room to ensure that he could get it right with the rest of the fans at the Stadium before kick off. Theobald and Kenwyne Jones will be keen to show their capabilities off.
“This is the biggest stage for us. Look at how the people have responded,  the rush for tickets, the adrenalin rush. This is like seeing part of a dream come true and now it’s down to what happens on the field to make the whole dream a true one,” Theobald told TTFF Media.
Latapy, growing up in Laventille, echoed similar sentiments to Hislop and Yorke when asked about sending a message for the country.
“In light of the social problems in the country, the message basically would be to keep the love and to be the Trinidad and Tobago that we remember and grew up knowing. Let is just be one where we can love each other and help each other,” Latapy said.
“Whether we qualify or not, I don’t know how much that will stop the crime which is what we want. But I think over the last two games, we have shown how much as a country that we can come together,” Hislop then chipped in.
“We all want to be successful and we all want to live a very peaceful life. Just keep the peace and that will take us a long way,” Yorke ended.
Come early and be a secured ‘Warrior’
[/size]

The message from the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and the Local Organizing Committee to fans attending Saturday’s 2006 World Cup playoff match with Bahrain is to come early and enjoy an evening of good football and entertainment.
Fans, almost all with ticket in hands by midday on Friday, are being advised that no parking will be available in and around the Hasely Crawford Stadium, including the Second field which will be the evacuation point of the venue.
Parking will be available for patrons at King George V Park and PTSC shuttles will be present to take fans to the match venue from 1pm. Admission for parking is the match ticket but fans are being advised not to have ticket torn or held at the parking location.
There will be the same services available at the Nipdec Car Park on Edwards Street and Wrightson Road while for the traveling public, shuttles at $6 per fan will be available from City Gate. All shuttles will also be present to take fans back to their car parks after the match.
The Stadium gates will open from 2pm with entertainment starting at 3 pm ahead of the 6:30pm match kick off and there will be a heavy security presence.
The game has attracted worldwide attention and fans from parts of Asia, some in support of T&T, as well as the United Kingdom and the United States will be here for the match.
A little more than a dozen Bahraini supporters and 30 Bahraini  students from the United States were scheduled into the country on Friday on a private jet which will take the team back to Bahrain after the match.
Over 100 football officials and Executive Committee members from throughout CONCACAF will be at the venue to witness the game as well.
The T&T team will be taking the pitch in their new Adidas strips while Bahrain will be in white and black Puma uniforms.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2005, 04:41:12 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jay9

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Calmness at the ‘Warriors’ Plaza.
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 03:11:24 PM »
goosebumps yes...

Offline CarenageBoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 03:21:03 PM »
But we calm in trute though. Cause we are WARRIORS, not worriers  ;).

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 03:27:42 PM »
Yes sah, d Warriors are ready for war hence d calm before the storm!  ;)

Bahrain will be bahing and raining tears at d end of 90 mins tomorrow once we play our game! The time for revenge and for putting the old wrongs right has come!!  8)

De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 03:32:10 PM »
de man fully focussed and calm....the mood right and tings in place
We doin It!!
Go TnT
Back in Trini...

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 03:34:54 PM »
i wonder if d adidas kit is different to d 1 on sale  cuz on d papers it advertises d adidas shirt as "official fan replica"

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2005, 03:45:45 PM »
English-born midfielder Chris Birchall was even rehearsing the T&T national anthem in his room to ensure that he could get it right with the rest of the fans at the Stadium before kick off.

alyuh hear that... de man going all out...Rehearsing the national anthem.... :salute: :salute: :salute: We have to Big that man up!!!!!

Vibes It Up T&T!!!!

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 04:12:21 PM »
Big Up my beloved T&T.....

Fans allyuh listen, no fighting please, we must be penetrative and supportive in a clean way....

Offline futbolfan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2005, 04:23:56 PM »
i wonder if d adidas kit is different to d 1 on sale  cuz on d papers it advertises d adidas shirt as "official fan replica"

yeah it different....much nicer and better quality.....de KFC one iz ah rush ting.....yuh best bet is to wait til later to get the better quality one.....
The darkest hour is just before the dawn.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 04:37:00 PM »
Birchall is trini to de bone.  Ah love that fella.  He in this thing heart and soul.  This ain't just about Birchall; it's about representing de country.  Ah love he attitude.

Offline Milan!!!

• Naps man fuh life!!!
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 04:40:02 PM »
readin da birchall thing ...pure goosebumps for real bredrin....goes to show man..he have he heart and soul in dis one....warrior spirit!!!

Warriors all de way!!!!!

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 04:42:28 PM »
English-born midfielder Chris Birchall was even rehearsing the T&T national anthem in his room to ensure that he could get it right with the rest of the fans at the Stadium before kick off.

alyuh hear that... de man going all out...Rehearsing the national anthem.... :salute: :salute: :salute: We have to Big that man up!!!!!

Vibes It Up T&T!!!!

for real man... nuff props to 'Me mum'. He really a true warrior. He will impress them girls/wanjangs in Zen tonite with he anthem skills.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 04:52:44 PM »
[/size]
At one point, during the local cuisine lunch, a young lady somehow managed to get through the doors and came up to one of the tables before Beenhakker had to instantly ask her about her whereabouts.
“Coach all I want to do is wish the team the very best for tomorrow’s game,” the nervous yet smiling long hair fan said and in turn received smiles and quick words of appreciation from Beenhakker and his men.

Look like one of Yorkie and Latas "behind d bridge jamette" from KND itinerary show up early to make plans for Zen tonite ;D

Offline Bailey

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »
Look like one of Yorkie and Latas "behind d bridge jamette" from KND itinerary show up early to make plans for Zen tonite

wait nah allyuh really think them boys hanging out tonite, before 2morrow game day. well If that is the case we nar ready yet . oh god boy doh say that
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:19:38 PM by Bailey »

Offline Tha G.

• Sr. Warrior
  • Anytime is trini time, cyah wait to buss ah lime
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2005, 09:02:54 PM »
boy..is trouble... ah stuck in Washington, buh dah eh nuttin, oh going down de road and geh some CARIB and some SOLO ;D AND AH ROTI  tommorow fuh de game, and ah puttin on me old strike squad jussey ..... origanal from 89.... and wine down de place when trini score :rotfl: :beermug:

Offline Marlon

• Sr. Warrior
  • Who the cap fit, let them wear it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2005, 05:51:20 AM »
Oh god boy, meh eyes done fullin up.

lawd farder :-[

Offline BigToe

• Hero Warrior
  • Laaaaard, ah cyan take it no more
    • View Profile
Countdown
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2005, 12:13:28 PM »
Just over 4 hours to go. Although, confident, I nervous for so. Can't get to the Stadium soon enough.

Lets go T&T[/size][/color]
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 12:15:20 PM by BigToe »

Offline ricky

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2005, 12:36:35 PM »
4 hrs until dem bahraini get off we site
alsalman, redbelt and khalid allyuh could stay yuh cool
« Last Edit: November 12, 2005, 12:38:48 PM by ricky »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2005, 12:49:11 PM »
yes fellas.  look at the pic. shaka, lata and yorke just mello.  i ike the vibes i gettin.

1]; } ?>