April 16, 2024, 05:10:28 PM

Author Topic: 2018 Joann Charles Holiday Food Drive  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2018 Joann Charles Holiday Food Drive
« on: December 01, 2018, 10:32:39 AM »
2018 Joann Charles Holiday Food Drive

Welcome to our 12th annual food drive. This year we will be assisting individual families who were adversely affected by the unprecedented flooding that occurred in Trinidad and Tobago during October 2018.

Let's show our Warrior spirit and help to provide the underprivileged with fundamental items which will enhance their daily life.

Please get your friends, co-workers and family involved. Thank you all for supporting this food drive. Donation details are outlined below.

Monetary contributions can be made via Paypal by clicking on the button below:

or you can send a check or money order to:

Soca Warriors Supporters Club
PO Box 566088
Miami, FL 33256-6088

Food can be dropped off at the following locations at the designated times. The deadline is Friday, December 14th. Please call, text, WhatsApp, or e-mail before delivering the goods.

NORTH:
Atlantic LNG
Princes Court Building
Corner Keate and Pembroke Streets
Port-of-Spain
Drop off time:
Monday-Friday, 7:00 AM - 4:30 PM
Contact: Chris Mathura (e-mail: cmathura@atlanticlng.com, phone: 786-4380)

EAST:
#4 Fourth Street West
Cazabon Avenue, Trincity
Drop off time: Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 6 PM
Contact: Dayne Brizan (e-mail: zionsoldier@hotmail.com, phone: 732-2784)

PLEASE! No fresh fruits or vegetables. Non-perishable items only.

Here is a sample list of acceptable items:
  • Canned Fish: Tuna, Salmon, Sardine, Mackerel
  • Rice, and Dry & Canned Beans/Peas
  • Spaghetti, Macaroni & Cheese, Pasta Sauce
  • Evaporated milk, Powdered milk, Aseptic milk
  • Peanut Butter, Jam/Jelly
  • Fruit Juice (Cans, Bottles, Boxes)
  • Dried Fruit
  • Nuts
  • Soup
  • Bread, Biscuit/Crackers
  • Cereal
  • Flour
  • Sugar, Salt
  • Toothpaste, Toothbrush, Shampoo, Soap, Detergent, Deodorant, Toilet Paper

Past Food/Charity Drives
2017 - Individual families recommended by a Social Worker
2016 - Florence Deacon Wesleyan Children’s Home (Freeport)
2015 - El Shaddai Restoration Home for Children (Gasparillo) and the Trinidad and Tobago Hope Centre (San Fernando)
2014 - Mothers' Union Children's Home (San Fernando)
2013 - Operation Salvation (Laventille/Morvant)
2012 - Operation Smile Home for Children (Williamsville)
2011 - Ferndean Children's Home (Point Fortin)
2010 - Sylphil Home in Love (Scarborough, Tobago)
2009 - Individual families recommended by a Medical Social Worker for St. George West
2008 - Phillip’s Children Home (Couva)
2007 - FEEL (Foundation for the Enhancement and Enrichment Of Life)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:13:35 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2018 Joann Charles Holiday Food Drive
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 06:01:30 PM »
Are children's homes a going private enterprise? Can't help but notice the number of entities, that have been beneficiaries of this project, that are in that category. Is the state less activist in this arena than is perceived?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2018, 06:03:05 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 08:49:32 AM »
Are children's homes a going private enterprise? Can't help but notice the number of entities, that have been beneficiaries of this project, that are in that category. Is the state less activist in this arena than is perceived?

From my personal observation most, if not all, of these organisations are being run privately.  Either by individuals who have simply opened their homes to families in need or NGOs (e.g FEEL).  Government funding is usually very limited and they depend largely on donations from groups, corporate T&T and individuals to function.

Whenever, I get involved in something like this, it could get overwhelming how many people are in need of basic items and literally don't know where the next meal is coming from in some cases. 

It also serves as a reminder (for me at least) how blessed some of us are to not have to face some of the situations others do out here......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2018, 10:54:42 AM »

From my personal observation most, if not all, of these organisations are being run privately.  Either by individuals who have simply opened their homes to families in need or NGOs (e.g FEEL).  Government funding is usually very limited and they depend largely on donations from groups, corporate T&T and individuals to function.

Whenever, I get involved in something like this, it could get overwhelming how many people are in need of basic items and literally don't know where the next meal is coming from in some cases. 

It also serves as a reminder (for me at least) how blessed some of us are to not have to face some of the situations others do out here......

Thanks for sharing that. On the surface, it seems that social safety nets that existed in the 70s and 80s, eroded in the 90s and 00s. Others may be able to comment authoritatively on that.

In the past, there was a sort of reflexive expectation of state help/intervention based on the way welfare and state dependency was construed in the immediate post-colonial years and transition years, but this was also tied to the way society was stratified economically in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

However, while governments have always had resource constraints, it seems that increasingly governmental inclination is to vacate these spaces in which needs are enormous, but the prestige of the constituents in need is modest to non-existent. Of course, graft, corruption and inefficiency of process do not help the situation.

Brownsugar, what is the level of state regulation or oversight in this area?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 02:18:13 PM »
I may be tempting punishment by invoking Jack Warner's name in a thread dedicated to Joann Charles. But, having stumbled today upon the words below, as I discovered this article, I regard them as implicitly highlighting the essence of previous comments on the thread, so ah going brave.

"Austin Warner was born on 26 January 1943 in the rural village of Rio Claro in south Trinidad. He was the third of seven children to Wilton and Stella Warner, a truck driver and housewife respectively.

He was poor, but by Trinidadian standards. That means he did not miss too many meals, he owned school books and his family could afford to send him to school in Port of Spain, the capital, nearly an hour’s drive away. Media tales of Warner walking to school barefoot are a myth, although he probably did have tattered shoes."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Do Good and Good Will Follow
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 10:12:00 PM »
Do Good and Good Will Follow

We've been doing a holiday food drive for the past 12 years, and this year we concentrated on helping individuals and families who were affected by the severe flooding which took place in October 2018;. Many people lost most if not all of their material possessions, but to compound matters, there were some who were also battling crippling health problems and traumatic personal situations. We were able to deliver hampers to eight households, which will at least be able to provide sustenance for a period of time.

The following is a thank you note we received from one of the recipients. It shows the impact you can have on a person when you show compassion.

"Hi, Good Morning!  I must tell you that you touched my heart yesterday because this is the first time in my life that somebody has ever taken the time to pack something so neat and wrap the box with gift paper and take the time out of their day to come at my home and give to me, knowing that I am very ill.  Yesterday I knew what it felt like to have a need and then God sends an angel to deliver his blessings. God has blessed us to have ever met you. Not because of what you did, but because of who you are! And I say this with all the love in my heart for your heart. That thing you were praying for, watch how God is going to open doors for you. You don't know who's heart you have touched,  but you will know when those doors start to open.
GOD BLESS YOU MY SISTER, KEEP YOUR EYES ON HIM, JESUS"

Many thanks to those who contributed to the effort.

CLICK HERE for more photos
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2018, 07:34:41 AM »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, forumites. Doh study football today! Tell evryone that you really love them. Some might watch you real funny. But that is ok. You talking about spiritual Love. God Bless!!! We go talk football tomorrow, Boxing Day.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2018, 01:00:05 PM »
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2018, 04:16:22 PM »

Thanks for sharing that. On the surface, it seems that social safety nets that existed in the 70s and 80s, eroded in the 90s and 00s. Others may be able to comment authoritatively on that.

In the past, there was a sort of reflexive expectation of state help/intervention based on the way welfare and state dependency was construed in the immediate post-colonial years and transition years, but this was also tied to the way society was stratified economically in the 50s, 60s and 70s.

However, while governments have always had resource constraints, it seems that increasingly governmental inclination is to vacate these spaces in which needs are enormous, but the prestige of the constituents in need is modest to non-existent. Of course, graft, corruption and inefficiency of process do not help the situation.

Brownsugar, what is the level of state regulation or oversight in this area?

Boy, I really can't comment extensively on government oversight in this area.  Weary was the one with all the inside info on these things. 
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>