April 19, 2024, 12:01:04 AM

Author Topic: Is Tobago not considered for National Development by the SSFL ???  (Read 926 times)

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
1st Form League
U14 League
U16 League

All had National Champions named this year.....but no Tobago Team was part of the competition.

All the zones in Trinidad were represented by their respective winners who played to be crowned as champions, but the Tobago Zone was not included.
How are our young boys to gain the experience and develop in order to have a fighting chance to compete and excel at the Premier Division level, when they are denied the opportunity.

Let me tell you about development....Half the boys on the u14 Tobago Zone winning team play for Jaric Titans. This year they won the Tobago Zone of the Republic Cup and got the opportunity to compete against the other zone winners in Trinidad.....They made it all the way to the finals before tasting defeat. The next step in their development was SSFL. So they win the Tobago Zone and have an opportunity for further development by competing in the National Competition.....You deny them this opportunity to develop..
Next year as u16s the same thing happens....lets say at u19 level they also win the Tobago Zone and even gain promotion to the Premier Division. They then are thrown into the league with absolutely no experience competing against the best in Trinidad in the SSFL. What do you think will be the outcome.
The answer to that is very easy.....all you have to do is to look at the season that BHS had in the Premier Division this year.......after suffering the same fate of being denied the opportunity at u14 and u16 levels that they also won in the preceding years.
No Tobago Team has been able to cement a place in the Premier Division....we qualify and we are demoted. Year after year people question the level of football in Tobago....they question the ability of the coaches, they question the ability of the players. They ask if we players eating too much KFC..... and stop eating dasheen.

SSFL I beg you as a parent, as a coach and as a Tobagonian..... Please do not continue to leave us out of the development plan of the SSFL.

A little background on myself...I am the coach of that Titans u14 team that made it to the finals of the Republic Cup and an assistant coach at BHS. I was also an assistant coach at a primary school here in Tobago. Over the years I have had a few opportunities to attend coaching development courses, and to coach in Trinidad, so I have a bit of a taste of the atmosphere. I have had to opportunity to rub shoulders with coaches like Sean Cooper, Brian Williams, Dada, Ken Elie, Mr. Bateau....to name a few. Because I had these opportunities in the past I have been able to develop as a coach and am now able to coach at this level.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Is Tobago not considered for National Development by the SSFL ???
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2018, 04:51:33 PM »
Rastaman, I feel for the sister island. That is why when the election comes, Tobago should vote DJW out!!!!!!

Offline RichGFootball

• ....formerly Richard G. I'm not a newbie. Just new-ish from since Mpurcell days
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2018, 09:30:05 PM »
1st Form League
U14 League
U16 League

All had National Champions named this year.....but no Tobago Team was part of the competition.

All the zones in Trinidad were represented by their respective winners who played to be crowned as champions, but the Tobago Zone was not included.
How are our young boys to gain the experience and develop in order to have a fighting chance to compete and excel at the Premier Division level, when they are denied the opportunity.

Let me tell you about development....Half the boys on the u14 Tobago Zone winning team play for Jaric Titans. This year they won the Tobago Zone of the Republic Cup and got the opportunity to compete against the other zone winners in Trinidad.....They made it all the way to the finals before tasting defeat. The next step in their development was SSFL. So they win the Tobago Zone and have an opportunity for further development by competing in the National Competition.....You deny them this opportunity to develop..
Next year as u16s the same thing happens....lets say at u19 level they also win the Tobago Zone and even gain promotion to the Premier Division. They then are thrown into the league with absolutely no experience competing against the best in Trinidad in the SSFL. What do you think will be the outcome.
The answer to that is very easy.....all you have to do is to look at the season that BHS had in the Premier Division this year.......after suffering the same fate of being denied the opportunity at u14 and u16 levels that they also won in the preceding years.
No Tobago Team has been able to cement a place in the Premier Division....we qualify and we are demoted. Year after year people question the level of football in Tobago....they question the ability of the coaches, they question the ability of the players. They ask if we players eating too much KFC..... and stop eating dasheen.

SSFL I beg you as a parent, as a coach and as a Tobagonian..... Please do not continue to leave us out of the development plan of the SSFL.

A little background on myself...I am the coach of that Titans u14 team that made it to the finals of the Republic Cup and an assistant coach at BHS. I was also an assistant coach at a primary school here in Tobago. Over the years I have had a few opportunities to attend coaching development courses, and to coach in Trinidad, so I have a bit of a taste of the atmosphere. I have had to opportunity to rub shoulders with coaches like Sean Cooper, Brian Williams, Dada, Ken Elie, Mr. Bateau....to name a few. Because I had these opportunities in the past I have been able to develop as a coach and am now able to coach at this level.

It's painfully obvious that this immediate lack of opportunity is putting Tobago's youth at a significant disadvantage.
Trinidad and Tobago 1st
Everyone else is 2nd

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2018, 10:35:39 AM »
@Rastaman

Totally agree with your post. I agree that the SSFL is not doing enough to develop youth football (11 to 20 age groups)
Jaric surprised many and had some talented youngsters this season as well.

I think the SSFL needs to continue to market themselves and look to improve their brand every year.
The Sportsmax/Digicel partnership has been a plus to the system. Raising the quality of football at the highest level of the school system, especially since we place more emphasis on school football as opposed to club football at the youth level, so this type of investment is needed to boost the quality and morale.
Unfortunately, the other age groups below have been neglected over the years I believe until this year where there was some nice coverage in the Fruta Form 1 league. It's definitely a push in the right direction, but surely not enough.

SSFL as well as the THA in your situation need to not rely solely on the Ministry of Sports to continuously provide handouts.
And even when there has been these grants/sponsorships given, there needs to be greater accountability on how the funds are being spent.

One of the MAJOR problems with football between Trinidad and Tobago are the efficiency and cost of the sea and airbridges.
And this problem affects all national competitions across the country, men and women. This problem is bigger than football but shouldnt be something that defines the football landscape of the country.

We, being the stakeholders and the governing bodies (SSFL,TTFA, THA, MOS) need to work together and not handle it in such a way where the TTFA is basically the parent that comes and hands out $ every week like an allowance to help us get through the day.
The other organisations mentioned need to take a long hard look at themselves and refine their operations and look for innovative ways of improving their product.

AND, if those in charge do not know, asking for help is not a sign of weakness here. It shows that you want to further develop the football and are trying to make strides to improve it as such every year, as opposed to accepting the status quo every year and hoping someone else does it for you!!!

I get that some of these organisations may operate at bare bones at the moment, but this is an area where they need to reassess how funds are being allocated and come up with a concrete plan to present to potential sponsors/gov't bodies. Coming forth with our hands further promotes the "what can you do for me?" society instead of developing a better suited "What can I do for myself first" idea.

I really hope the SSFL and other relevant bodies see these issues and can assist somehow soon.
With that said, contune your efforts in Tobago and build from the ground up and show them consistently that Tobago is resilient and deserves attention as you've mentioned.
If that means, organising your own leagues THROUGHOUT the calendar year, to keep the children active. DO IT! Support your own and demand better from everyone else around you.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2018, 05:15:32 PM »
Sadly, Tobago has historically been neglected when it comes to development in any sport.

Even sadder, athletes from Tobago in every sport  POTENTIALLY have the most natural athletic ability per capita of any of the athletes in the twin island state.

It is to the sporting detriment of T&T that athletes from Tobago are generally neglected.  When players do come through to national prominence, it’s often in spite of, not because of any development initiative from the respective governing sporting bodies.

To be fair, development isn’t exactly high on the list of “achievements” my many national sporting bodies. To ago just usually gets the shittiest end of the stick

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>