March 28, 2024, 03:12:56 PM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs USA Game (22-June-2019)  (Read 22250 times)

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs USA Game (22-June-2019)
« Reply #30 on: June 20, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
T&T sports media lack the substance when asking our athletes questions. Ask the captain Hyland what he think about his own performance. Ask the coach why he think the team has struggled to score a single goal in their last six or seven international matches. When you ask these questions you will have follow up questions based on the answers given. I would love to know more about what are DL expectations from the eleven men he is putting out in the field and the media has to force him to be accountable to the nation as we are supporting the team
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 09:31:34 AM by Sando prince »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2019, 09:31:48 AM »
If Joevin in puts his mind to it, nothing but a tractor would stop him from getting crosses in from the right, regardless of his dominant foot.

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2019, 10:16:43 AM »
What you fellas thinking? 10-0? 7-0? 5-0? honestly i'll take a nice 2-0 loss. We can always blame the referee after the game. I swear if I see Nathan Lewis on the starting 11, I am switching my nationality to Guyana.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2019, 11:28:22 AM »
If Joevin in puts his mind to it, nothing but a tractor would stop him from getting crosses in from the right, regardless of his dominant foot.
so you agree dat could be a good option then....because I does wonder why we never try it....when he scores\shoots on the left is almost always a trivela type shot imagine him getting more opportunities to shoot without d added degree of difficulty
I pity the fool....

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2019, 12:43:55 PM »

Quick question..........crosses for who?
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2019, 12:57:52 PM »

Quick question..........crosses for who?

Service generally. Despite the fact that we view the attack as not having "recognized" headers of the ball, service still has to be provided and it can be provided in a variety of ways. That stated, I seem to recall Molino putting one away with his noggin.

Other than that, it's about getting numbers forward. I mentioned Hyland in another post.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2019, 04:28:50 PM »
Came across this ... the article as a whole is not authoritative so I'm not posting it in its entirety, but this bit caught my attention.

Marvin Phillip is the clear #1 and is a solid shot stopper, with quick reflexes. He played well in the 2-0 loss against Panama and will to need to have a similar performance.

Expect Daneil Cyrus and Aubrey David to feature as centerbacks. The 6’3” Cyrus is dominant in the air and an excellent tackler. However, he struggles with his positioning and often looks to dribble after winning tackles when he would be better off passing.

David is also 6’3” and similarly dominant in the air. David is far stronger, yet slower and worse on the ball than Cyrus.

Mekeil Williams will likely get the nod at left back. Williams is a good passer and excels at intercepting passes. His greatest flaws are his subpar crossing and tendency to overcommit to tackles.

Look for Alvin Jones to get the nod at right back. Jones, the younger brother of Joevin Jones, is a solid crosser of the ball and is a surprisingly dangerous scoring threat from distance. While he is quite gifted offensively, for a defender, his 1 v. 1 defending is poor and he often finds himself out of position due to joining the attack.

Khaleem Hyland should feature as a defensive midfielder. Hyland is a hard-tackler, with decent dribbling ability, and a powerful shot. However, he is slow as molasses and has a rather limited passing range.

Expect Kevin Molino and Kevan George to feature as central midfielders. Molino will likely play as a #10, in front of George.

Molino is the most talented attacking player on this roster and is a pin-point passer. He is also a good crosser but puts in little defensive effort. It’s unclear if he’ll be at his best, as he just returned from an ACL tear in May.

George will likely drop into defensive midfield where his excellent positioning and exceptional skill at intercepting passes will be useful. His primary flaws are that he receives too many cards and offers nothing offensively.

Look for Joevin Jones to earn the nod at left midfield. Jones is lightning fast, a solid crosser, and a good 1 v. 1 defender. While talented, he is very inconsistent and is a rather poor finisher.

Nathan Lewis has a good chance to start at right midfield. Lewis was T&T’s most dangerous attacker against Panama and is a crafty dribbler who makes dangerous runs. However, his finishing is shockingly poor.

While normally a left winger, Levi Garcia will likely continue to feature as the Soca Warrior’s lone striker. Garcia is an excellent set-piece taker and talented dribbler, but he loses the ball far too easily due to his lack of strength and is a poor passer.

https://www.starsandstripesfc.com/2019/6/20/18691417/2019-gold-cup-us-vs-trinidad-and-tobago-scouting-t-t
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 04:31:02 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2019, 04:55:55 PM »
If them English boys on the technical staff I say we lose 1 nil but if them English boys not there to help him I say we go collect about 4.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2019, 05:12:51 PM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago arrive in Cleveland ahead of USA clash.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/4nvUamaNz_o" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/4nvUamaNz_o</a>

WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago defender Aubrey David looks ahead to Saturday's Gold Cup game against USA.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/mHp_DCReMn0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/mHp_DCReMn0</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2019, 08:39:15 PM »
Anyone knows where they training in Cleveland?
I just don't see a way forward for us, we played a totally uninspired game yesterday and nothing coming from the coach to make a difference

Go ahead and blame the coach. But he has to work with what he has in front of him. We lack creative and attacking talent in the middle of the field. And  quick forwards with quick dribbling skills. Levi fit the latter but he still on the learning curve with the national team. On the attack, we below par.

Defensively we so-so.  Yes DL has to come up with something that will enable our team with few possibilities, play like a top 20 team. Hart had the same problem. He had some success, but was not able to get the team to get pass the quarter finals on two occasions. Go ahead. Let them fire DL and bring in a new coach.  Would not make a difference.

You know what else, that is salt in the wound, Panama honestly did not have a good game, we should have won that one, but all water under the bridge at this point.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2019, 09:02:52 PM »
Anyone knows where they training in Cleveland?
I just don't see a way forward for us, we played a totally uninspired game yesterday and nothing coming from the coach to make a difference

Go ahead and blame the coach. But he has to work with what he has in front of him. We lack creative and attacking talent in the middle of the field. And  quick forwards with quick dribbling skills. Levi fit the latter but he still on the learning curve with the national team. On the attack, we below par.

Defensively we so-so.  Yes DL has to come up with something that will enable our team with few possibilities, play like a top 20 team. Hart had the same problem. He had some success, but was not able to get the team to get pass the quarter finals on two occasions. Go ahead. Let them fire DL and bring in a new coach.  Would not make a difference.

You know what else, that is salt in the wound, Panama honestly did not have a good game, we should have won that one, but all water under the bridge at this point.

True, Panama did not have a good game, but they found a way to win.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #41 on: June 21, 2019, 12:32:48 AM »
Calls for Lawrence to scrap possession-game.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

There are calls for na­tion­al foot­ball coach Den­nis Lawrence to ei­ther scrap his in­ten­tions to play pos­ses­sion-foot­ball or get in­stru­men­tal mid­field­er Kevin Moli­no more in­volved in at­tack if the So­ca War­riors are to ad­vance out of the group phase of the CON­CA­CAF Gold Cup in the Unit­ed States.

These calls came from coach­es Travis Mul­raine and Ron La For­rest, both of whom are dis­sat­is­fied with the strat­e­gy used by Lawrence in the open­ing 0-2 loss against Pana­ma at the Al­lianz Field in Min­neso­ta on Tues­day night. Both qual­i­fied coach­es agreed that there was a non-ex­is­tent mid­field when the de­fend­ers at­tempt­ed to tran­si­tion from the de­fen­sive third to the mid­field area with the ball.

Mul­raine, a high­ly qual­i­fied coach who has plied his trade at the Sec­ondary Schools and Su­per League lev­els, be­lieves Lawrence just does not have the play­ers to play such a sys­tem. "I think we need to be re­al­is­tic and use our strength, which is speed in at­tack. Be­cause of this, we should con­sid­er play­ing a counter-at­tack­ing game from a 5:3:2 sys­tem, where Levi Gar­cia, Nathan Lewis, Jo­evin Jones or any oth­er at­tack­er can use their speed to get away on the counter-at­tack."

Ac­cord­ing to Mul­raine, "Dur­ing the cur­rent for­mat and play­ing-style, there is no mo­bil­i­ty in the mid­field. This pre­vent­ed the at­tack­ers from get­ting ser­vice of the ball to the goal. I think if we con­tin­ue to play the pos­ses­sion-game, we could find our­selves at the end of a thrash­ing against the Unit­ed States to­mor­row."

La For­rest, on the oth­er hand, be­lieves Moli­no will be key, for the So­ca War­riors to progress. "Lawrence has been try­ing his best, but his strat­e­gy can­not work if the at­tack­ing mid­field­ers are un­able to re­ceive the ball and dis­trib­ute to the strik­ers. Moli­no was no-way to be found when the ball en­tered the mid­field area, and there­fore the Pana­ma­ni­ans were con­stant­ly win­ning the ball and mov­ing in­to quick at­tacks."

He added, "We have a good at­tack­ing force, which we saw it any­time Gar­cia picked up the ball and ran at the de­fence, or any­time Jo­evin Jones touched the ball. But Moli­no could not be found and they could not get the ser­vice they need­ed."

"In ad­di­tion, most of the times the T&T strik­ers were too far away from each oth­er, but gen­er­al­ly, there was no one to con­trol the game for T&T," La For­rest ex­plained.

The So­ca War­riors will next face the USA to­mor­row in group D. They are cur­rent­ly third in the group fol­low­ing their 0-2 loss, cou­pled with Guyana's 0-4 de­feat by the host. With two teams ad­vanc­ing from the group, the War­riors need at least a point from the en­counter, as their match-up with Guyana on Wednes­day is be­ing seen as three points in the bag.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 21, 2019, 04:19:02 AM »
What part of what tallest implementing is possession based ??? ???
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2019, 05:26:39 AM »

In that it is not counter-attacking oriented. Whether we actually keep possession is a different issue.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2019, 07:30:26 AM »

In that it is not counter-attacking oriented. Whether we actually keep possession is a different issue.

Hmm I always assumed it was extremely poor counterattacking...due to d excessive use of d long punts instead of actual build up play.
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2019, 10:26:37 AM »
I’m sick of watching these training sessions with the team showing how hard they are at it yet it never shows on the pitch. players giving away the ball in critical areas, throw ins are directed at players who are tightly marked eventually giving up possession, why can’t they work on these things in training?

the USA could look at a taped game from 10 years ago and create a strategy on how to play us today with relative success because we have not managed to fix our short comings (passing, trapping, collecting, creating passing opportunities off the ball, running aimlessly into defensive traps ala Nathan Lewis Cordell Cato and Levi garcia, winning headers, throw ins to unmarked players) do we actually work on these things because these are the impediments that stand out for me when we take the field.

in this modern era of the game it is very seldom to see defenders ball watching when their goal is under attack, where in the world does a player get three shots at you keeper in succession while your defenders do nothing.

it’s shocking to see cyrus time after time letting down his fellow defenders and yet make the starting line up IMO that’s insane. when we beat the Americans in couva there was no cyrus no phillip no david no williams and we managed fine without them and i think the coach needs to revisit that notion. those guys are way to nonchalant and lacks intensity for my liking. Intensity won that game for us and it can do it again. let’s go with another option dennis.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2019, 11:35:50 PM »
So apparently things aren't that great with the team heard that was a little toss up in the locker room sad part is that it's not players relaying that info. Will be interesting to see how they play today.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2019, 06:17:08 AM »
So apparently things aren't that great with the team heard that was a little toss up in the locker room sad part is that it's not players relaying that info. Will be interesting to see how they play today.
Let’s hope they can put that behind them and focus on the game this evening.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Cup survival at stake
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2019, 06:53:21 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago's Gold Cup survival at stake
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Men will be playing for Gold Cup 2019 survival when they face off with host nation United States at the First Energy Stadium in Cleveland from 8pm on Saturday.

A win is needed by T&T to keep alive any chances of progressing to the quarter finals of the competition following Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Panama. For the US, the result matters for more than one reason. The talk here among the US fans and the media is that the Stars and Stripes men still will want to put that night in Couva behind them and exorcise at least some of the demons by taking care business this time around

USA’s Christian Pulisic has acknowledged that beating T&T in Cleveland is “not going to change anything.” But, he told reporters, “Obviously, I want some revenge. I want to beat them. The team is going to go out and give it everything. We want to win that game.”

And for Alvin Jones, the man who scored the goal that sent the US packing, “It’s just another game in terms of it will not change our chances or theirs of going to the World Cup. But for us, we need to win, it’s that simple,” he told TTFA Media.

Skipper Khaleem Hyland is fully aware of the requirements and his leadership and experience will be vital.

“Yes. We know how critical this game will be. We just have to go out there and leave everything on the pitch. We all know what is at stake. The fans will be against us and America and will be going all out to get a win. But we will not go in there and throw in the towel. For us, survival is the main thing and only a win will guarantee that,” Hyland said.

T&T head coach Dennis Lawrence conducted a one-hour session at the stadium on Friday evening after addressing the media. The conditions were cool on Friday as opposed to the continuous rain the previous day and is expected to remain dry on matchday which should make it ideal for a proper game at the venue which is primarily for American football. It is the home field of the Cleveland Browns of the National Football League and seats 67,895.

“It’s straightforward. There is a lot of history between both countries but like I said before, I want these boys to write their own history. We know what is in front of us and what needs to be done,” Lawrence said.

T&T last met the US at the Gold Cup in 2007, losing 2-0. Prior to that T&T opened the scoring through Arnold Dwarika but lost 3-2 in the 1996 edition with Dwarika netting a double that day.

“The mindset is to get full three points,” said goalkeeper Foncette. We need to win to stay close to the other teams in the group and get out of it . It is a do or die game and there is nothing else on our minds. That time around (2017) was completely different to now. We already knew our fate. We couldn’t qualify for the World Cup and we had nothing to lose. The tables have turned now but this time we have everything to lose. It’s win or go home,” goalkeeper Adrian Foncette said. He stood between the uprights when the teams met in Couva in 2017.

Notes:
  • T&T and USA have met three times at the Gold Cup In the first competition in 1991, T&T scores first through Leonson Lewis in 67′ but conceded in the 85′ and 87′   to lose 2-1.
  • T&T have never defeated the US outside of Port of Spain and Couva.
  • Of his 89 appearances for T&T, six of those were against the US for Dennis Lawrence including the 2-1 win in Port of Spain in 2008 in which Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke were on the scoresheet.
  • Ten of T&T’s Gold Cup squad members currently play professionally in the US.
  • Captain Khaleem Hyland is T&T’s most capped player with 85 since his debut versus Puerto Rico in 2008

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2019, 08:28:28 AM »
WATCH: Trinidad and Tobago Camp - All or Nothing going into US Gold Cup clash.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/k6gUHFgEOww" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/k6gUHFgEOww</a>

WATCH: Dennis Lawrence and Kevan George Pre-Match Press Conference: USA vs Trinidad and Tobago (Pt. 1) - Gold Cup 2019

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9yglCPlw4as" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9yglCPlw4as</a>

WATCH: Dennis Lawrence and Kevan George Pre-Match Press Conference: USA vs Trinidad and Tobago (Pt. 2) - Gold Cup 2019

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/I214cwAxjS0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/I214cwAxjS0</a>

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:48 AM »
Good luck today Warriors  :salute:

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2019, 09:17:16 AM »
Jamol please give us a break. you all were supposed to have done that on tuesday but instead you choked, now you’re telling me that you’re going to succeed today against a team we never got the better of on their home soil in a major tournament with a hostile crowd behind them and I’m supposed to buy that?

Yes the USA is very beatable at the moment but by a quality team, and we just don’t have the quality to beat them so please don’t give us no blasted false hope. what you all should be working on is how to limit the amount of goals that will score on you today, especially is idiot marvin gets the nod.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2019, 10:58:45 AM »
link mih on here if u in cleveland!

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2019, 10:59:58 AM »

Online Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2019, 11:15:03 AM »
Jamol please give us a break. you all were supposed to have done that on tuesday but instead you choked, now you’re telling me that you’re going to succeed today against a team we never got the better of on their home soil in a major tournament with a hostile crowd behind them and I’m supposed to buy that?

Yes the USA is very beatable at the moment but by a quality team, and we just don’t have the quality to beat them so please don’t give us no blasted false hope. what you all should be working on is how to limit the amount of goals that will score on you today, especially is idiot marvin gets the nod.
100% pal. Don't want to hear no talk. Only execution. Also we don't have the personnel to play the type of possession based football that DL wants to implement. Play to our friggin strengths - pace and speed, counterattack Football. God help us if donkey Marvin gets the nod again or worse yet Foncette

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2019, 12:56:51 PM »
It's about time that the people in charge see that DL is not the man to take TT forward,it's more like taking us backward.There was a time when I would wake up to see how we are doing,now I know we are about to lose whichever or whoever we are playing.Football teams all over the whole world shows progress,no one can say we have even improved slightly.Time to forget TT,and I don't mean football alone.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

Somebody send this to dem fellas, if this doh get dem energised for later then nobody can help them

https://www.facebook.com/CaribShowBiz/photos/a.581999751818365/2535436203141367/?type=3&theater

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2019, 05:20:00 PM »
1Marvin Phillip
23 Leston Paul
5 Daneil Cyrus
2 Aubrey David
16 Alvin Jones
8 Khaleem Hyland
4 Neveal Hackshaw
11 Levi Garcí­a
19 Kevan George
7 Cordell Cato
13 Nathan Lewis

Joevin and Molino on de bench.

Me eh know.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2019, 05:31:32 PM »
2021 is two years away. I hope DJW is far away from the administration. Hopefully Lawrence will be an assistant to Hart in two years. Wishful ent

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2019, 05:43:02 PM »
1Marvin Phillip
23 Leston Paul
5 Daneil Cyrus
2 Aubrey David
16 Alvin Jones
8 Khaleem Hyland
4 Neveal Hackshaw
11 Levi Garcí­a
19 Kevan George
7 Cordell Cato
13 Nathan Lewis

Joevin and Molino on de bench.

Me eh know.
??? Two of our most respected players in the MLS on the bench for this game?
What happen, they break curfew or something?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 05:49:52 PM by soccerman »

1]; } ?>