March 28, 2024, 06:14:34 AM

Author Topic: 2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers  (Read 13912 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 CONCACAF Olympic Qualifiers
« Reply #60 on: October 09, 2019, 09:26:18 AM »
De Four spoke very optimistically about rebuilding but that was largely cast in the context of rebuilding a team as it remained on a competition footing. Now that elimination has occurred, he may be faced with the crude awakening that doesn't place a high premium on the WNT ... that is, until the next competition is lurking around the corner.

I suggest strongly that the players from the retiring generation of players take full ownership of the destiny of women's football, not just to protect their legacy but to push the game. Football played by women is a specialized area of the game and the Toms, Dicks and Harrys of the world need to be made to understand how the thing should be run.

Nothing will change if the retiring generation of players are not invested activists and decision-makers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 09:34:55 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 09, 2019, 11:53:54 AM »
Let me ask you all something, did we win anything since DJW became prez of t he federation, anything on any level be it male or female?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2019, 12:15:10 PM »
Let me ask you all something, did we win anything since DJW became prez of t he federation, anything on any level be it male or female?

Dennis win more than DJW.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2019, 01:25:51 PM »
Trini locals i swear have a real complex, they like to think more of themselves than they actually deserve credit for. I was in trinidad recently and the people are so aloft and extremely self important with no real care for that country, it’s all about what their country can do for them and never the other way around.

I could actually see why they are so insecure around foreigners including their own people (expats) who no longer lives there. expats are actually more patriotic than the trinis who live there and wants better for the country, not saying that there aren’t locals who are patriotic, but they’re in the minimum.

I listened to my cousins and how they blame the govt for every little thing that goes wrong, even though for the most part govt ministers are very hard at work trying to fix what they can with minimal resources, and when i asked them how many of them or their friends actually volunteer their time to a worthy cause they all went mum.

as it stands, the new federation (if they’re able to dethrone DJW) has to pair up with a sister federations in europe or south america if they are to get football academies build and staffed with well trained coaches, they also need loads of sponsorship to get that league up and running well. i don’t envy those who’s coming to the hot seat because that’s what it’s going to be, a very hot hot seat after DJW gets off it, but that’s what’s needed to restart TT football. no more local coaches those guys are poisonous.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 13, 2019, 10:22:21 AM »
It appears that none of our national coaches want to shoulder the blame when our teams—men, women and boys—fall short or turn in poor performances. It’s always the players, the schools, the clubs and now TT WOLF at fault. 🔥🔥 🔥

https://wired868.com/2019/10/12/warrick-de-four-should-look-in-the-mirror-for-cause-of-womens-olympic-fiasco-not-blame-wolf/

In one ball Susan Joseph-Warrick bowl ah whole over. Stumps flying!

« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 10:27:48 AM by asylumseeker »

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2019, 12:24:06 PM »
It appears that none of our national coaches want to shoulder the blame when our teams—men, women and boys—fall short or turn in poor performances. It’s always the players, the schools, the clubs and now TT WOLF at fault. 🔥🔥 🔥

https://wired868.com/2019/10/12/warrick-de-four-should-look-in-the-mirror-for-cause-of-womens-olympic-fiasco-not-blame-wolf/

Plain talk, proper response.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2019, 01:46:02 PM »

Plain talk, proper response.

While the current TTFA admin and coaches must take responsibility for this debacle, there is some truth in their defense. The quality of players our pro-league producing is not up to par for our national team to face regional teams. In past,  TT team has won the CFU Cup on a couple of occasions using mostly local players. And that was before the pro-league. We have not won a CFU championship since the pro-league started. Correct me if I am wrong on that.

That is as far as I will defend them. This year because of the confusion brought in by DJW and the proleague,  TT football had to play in a minor league.  TTFA not in charge of the proleague. The proleague and the TTFA can't  get themselves together. What were the women doing? The women are an after-thought. They were doing practically nothing. No intensive competition. They tried an intensive preparation for the tournament but they got schooled by St. Kitts. And that team was coached by a woman from the US. Pushing some wood in the fire. So Mr. Defour and the TTFA ..... own up.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2019, 01:48:10 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2020, 01:10:13 PM »
U.S. women shut out Haiti to open Olympic qualifying
Associated Press

HOUSTON -- Christen Press scored the opening goal off a shoeless assist from Lynn Williams and the United States beat Haiti 4-0 Tuesday in its opening match of the CONCACAF women's Olympic qualifying tournament.

The U.S., which won the Women's World Cup last summer, extended its unbeaten streak to 24 games dating to a loss to France a year ago.

Press' goal came in the second minute on a cross from Williams, who had lost her cleat in her run up the field. It was the 52nd international goal for Press.

Williams added a goal in the 67th minute on a header off a corner kick from Megan Rapinoe. Lindsey Horan came off the bench and scored on her first touch in the 73rd minute and Carli Lloyd capped it with a stoppage-time goal.

It was the first competitive match for U.S. coach Vlatko Andonovski, who took over when Jill Ellis stepped down last year.

Lloyd made her 15th start in Olympic qualifying, passing Abby Wambach for most in team history. Rapinoe, the reigning Ballon d'Or winner and FIFA World Player of the Year, played off the bench in the second half.

An announced crowd of 4,363 attended the game, which was hit in the first half by a sudden downpour at BBVA Compass Stadium.

The United States looked rusty at the start and Haiti appeared to tie the score with a goal in the 18th minute, but it was called back. Then the top-ranked Americans simply wore down their opponents in the second half.

Eight teams are playing in the tournament, with the title match set for Feb. 9 in Carson, California. The top two finishers will earn berths to the Tokyo Games this summer.

The United States and Haiti were in the same group with Costa Rica and Panama, which played in the early match Tuesday. Costa Rica won 6-1.

The U.S. has qualified for every Olympics since women's soccer was introduced in 1996. The team has five consecutive titles in the qualifying tournament.

Six teams have already made the field for Tokyo: Japan, Brazil, Great Britain, the Netherlands, Sweden and New Zealand.

Haiti advanced to the tournament by winning its qualifying group in the Caribbean region.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2020, 01:11:44 PM »
Costa Rica power past Panama to open CWOQ.
CONCACAF.COM

HOUSTON, Texas – Melissa Herrera’s brace helped power Costa Rica past Panama 6-1 to open Group A of the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Olympic Qualifying Championship on Tuesday night at BBVA Compass Stadium in Houston, Texas.

The 6-1 final scoreline was also the same result in the only previous CWOQ meeting between the two nations during the 2004 CWOQ.

Costa Rica enjoyed a blistering start and Herrera handed the Ticas a 1-0 lead in just the 9’ by finishing into an open net after a great team build-up.

Six minutes later in the 16’ the lead was doubled to 2-0 when Panama GK Yenith Bailer fouled Maria Paula Salas in the area and Raquel Rodriguez calmly converted the spot kick.

But right before halftime in the 45’, Katherine Castillo gave Panama a big boost with an excellent right-footed strike to cut the Costa Rica lead to 2-1.

Costa Rica looked to take back control and regained a two-score lead with a magnificent right-footed volley from Shirley Cruz in the 67’ to make it 3-1.

That was the start of an onrush of late goals, with Priscilla Chinchilla’s inch-perfect header in the 70’ and composed finishes from Herrera in the 72’ and Maria Elizondo in the 83’ to complete the scoring.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2020, 01:41:03 PM »
Haiti scored a goal off of a corner to tie the game 1-1

Unfortunately the AR flagged for offside, erroneously. You cannot be offside direct from a corner. It was a shame. Haiti were holding their own.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2021, 07:01:56 PM »
US 1 Costa Rica 0 FT
Mexico 1 Dominican Republic 0 HT

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Dominican keeper made a stellar save but hit his head on the upright in the process. Hoping there are no consequences. Mexico has added to the scoreline by being superior in attacking dead balls aerially. DR scored a well-executed penalty. Technical. 3-1 with about 15' to play.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 02:16:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2021, 07:59:36 PM »
DR will lose this match, but not their ambition. They are a U-23 squad with 8 players attached to European clubs.

4-1. Scoreline is a lil exaggerated. Last goal was a penalty that Mexico required two attempts on goal to convert it. Last play of the game.

Our U-23s should be in Mexico competing.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2021, 10:47:09 AM »
Saw the second half of US v CR. The score line is deceiving. CR should have gotten a point. But fitness, strength, speed and pragmatism got the US the victory.

On a side note the TT US 23 never got a chance to qualify for this tournament.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2021, 11:19:52 AM »
Saw the second half of US v CR. The score line is deceiving. CR should have gotten a point. But fitness, strength, speed and pragmatism got the US the victory.

On a side note the TT US 23 never got a chance to qualify for this tournament.

A message to be hammered consistently. Attempts at justification aside, the way that was handled was a self-inflicted wound. One of several.

Yeah, Costa Rica had 4 attempts on goal in roughly 4 minutes in the opening minutes of the second half. A draw would have made things interesting.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 11:21:45 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2021, 07:20:21 PM »
Canada 2 El Salvador 0
Honduras 3 Haiti 0

Once again a Caribbean team suffers for off the field occurrences. In this case logistics and COVID protocols resulted in Haiti starting the match 10 v 11 with a make-do defender.

It was about halfway through the half before they were allowed to play 11 v 11 and by then the score was 2-0. They experienced visa delays with the Mexican embassy, they had a late arrival in Mexico City and then had to negotiate onward travel to Guadalajara in addition to COVID testing.

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2021, 09:26:26 PM »
Pretty sad considering Haiti does not have a COVID issue really. Mexico (host) and Honduras do. Yet it is Haiti who ended up playing with 10 players due to Covid.
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2021, 10:56:07 PM »
That is indeed f**ked up.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2021, 01:19:29 AM »

To compound the matter, there were as many as 5 or 6 projected starters who could not play.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 02:33:01 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2021, 09:29:58 AM »

To compound the matter, there were as many as 5 or 6 projected starters who could not play.

No wonder conspiracy theories are always alive and kicking. The guy who started in goal was not bad at all. He almost saved the first goal penalty. And I have doubts on the penalty also. I did not realize that this was going on in the first half. I saying why the hell they playing so defensive. Their forwards have some speed. Actually, one guy had a great shot saved by the Hondo keeper.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2021, 10:32:31 AM »

No wonder conspiracy theories are always alive and kicking. The guy who started in goal was not bad at all. He almost saved the first goal penalty. And I have doubts on the penalty also. I did not realize that this was going on in the first half. I saying why the hell they playing so defensive. Their forwards have some speed. Actually, one guy had a great shot saved by the Hondo keeper.

It was a mess all round. The player who started in goal is actually an outfield player, not a regular GK. So he is the one that absorbed those opening goals prior to the regular GK being able to come on the field. Haiti only had three subs who were eligible to enter the match.

Reminds me of something.

I coached an official match away in which I either had ONE sub or no subs (doh recall right now because effectively it was like having none ... I think we had two keepers who could travel and an early injury that reduced us to 11). But I knew the opponent fairly well and I knew how we needed to approach the game. We were obligated to play that match.

The first item to overcome was the psychological hurdle and to instill an element of belief and there's nothing better to do that than scoring a goal. The opponent was gracious at the onset off the field, but obviously self-assured. My players went out, did precisely what I asked them to do and within the first 20 minutes we scored two goals with no response from the home team although they had an early opportunity to take the lead. Those goals transformed the game. There were well-crafted goals generated in the run of play.

You should have heard what was going on in the other technical area and among their ample bench. Their players on the field were rattled. Ultimately, we were severely PUNISHED for our exuberance and the match ended disproportionately in the home team's favor and with me playing with 9 or 10 (injuries).

The opposing coach was still making subs deep into the match. Human nature and competition stimulates some interesting reactions.

But you know what, none of the players were deflated on the way home because of how they exceeded the circumstances in what was really an exercise in resilience and a life lesson. I was very proud of the players but not thrilled about the broader legacy of the match.

Interestingly, the opposing coach was HIGHLY criticized by other coaches for the way in which he conducted himself off the field and for the values/culture he instilled in the players on the field to stage their comeback.

I never uttered a word of protest to him. The score is documented, but those first 20-25 minutes are not documented in terms of contextualizing how players react to adversity.

This is a moment in which Haiti is experiencing unrest and delivering at this tournament would be injections of positivity for Haitians everywhere. I am impressed with their coach who really handled ALL of the circumstances and challenges with dignity.

Conspiracy? That fundraising fete match might have aided in their demise.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 03:03:33 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2021, 10:59:41 AM »

In the Mexico-DR match, when the Dominican keeper fouled the Mexican attacker, he had body language that was suggesting that he was going to save the penalty. He blocked the shot but failed to hold onto the ball and Mexico scored off the subsequent attempt. You could tell how invested the GK was in preserving the scoreline.

I think there are going to be more GK stories of note during this tournament.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 11:01:14 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2021, 03:42:52 AM »
El Salvador 1 Honduras 1
Haiti 0 Canada 0

Costa Rica 0 Mexico 3
Dominican Republic 0 United States 4
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 03:54:09 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2021, 12:19:11 PM »
Haiti's bench is still thin with just 5 additional players and no substitute goalie. However, the trap was set to catch Canada rushing in. The Canadians avoided yet another setback from Haiti.

I think Haiti is favored to beat EL Salvador but this may be too little too late as Canada and Honduras are likely to settle for a low score or worse, a draw making the Haiti vs. El Salvador match nearly irrelevant.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2021, 12:22:06 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 23, 2021, 12:38:26 PM »
Haiti's bench is still thin with just 5 additional players and no substitute goalie. However, the trap was set to catch Canada rushing in. The Canadians avoided yet another setback from Haiti.

I think Haiti is favored to beat EL Salvador but this may be too little too late as Canada and Honduras are likely to settle for a low score or worse, a draw making the Haiti vs. El Salvador match nearly irrelevant.

Man, it's painful to see this playing out as it is. Talented team that may not see the light of Tokyo.

I like Webens and this is just unfortunate.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 08:26:27 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2021, 05:21:49 AM »
Mexico 1 United States 0
Costa Rica 5 Dominican Republic 0

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2021, 11:00:22 AM »
So can Haiti sneak in, or they already out ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2021, 12:34:02 PM »

Still a chance. I think Honduras needs to defeat Canada and Haiti needs to defeat El Salvador and surmount Canada's goal tally. Subject to correction, I think Haiti needs to score 6 goals without response. Thing is El Salvador can also move on if they score 5 goals without response. Each goal conceded complicates the mission.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 12:42:17 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2021, 09:31:14 PM »

Still a chance. I think Honduras needs to defeat Canada and Haiti needs to defeat El Salvador and surmount Canada's goal tally. Subject to correction, I think Haiti needs to score 6 goals without response. Thing is El Salvador can also move on if they score 5 goals without response. Each goal conceded complicates the mission.

El Salvador 2-1 Haiti.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2021, 10:18:06 PM »

El Salvador 2-1 Haiti.

Yeah, disappointed in Haiti. Really thought they could have sneaked in.

1]; } ?>