March 28, 2024, 09:45:20 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)  (Read 32733 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)
« Reply #120 on: September 06, 2019, 07:13:55 PM »
what position did Telfer play ???

He roamed, but mostly played on the left wing. Although the run he made on the counterattack was done on the right wing.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 06, 2019, 07:14:35 PM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago's 1-1 draw with Martinique.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/p8QzfSaVo5w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/p8QzfSaVo5w</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 06, 2019, 07:21:57 PM »

He roamed, but mostly played on the left wing. Although the run he made on the counterattack was done on the right wing.

Winger thought he was a CM we need another attacking CM bad, but he very direct and seems smart, more than ah could say for Levi, good individual quality on the ball but pretty dumb player all things considered......

also that is the first time I have seen us break like like dat in a long long time.......Levi kept duncely drifting wide away from help during the Gold cup
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 07:26:12 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 06, 2019, 07:33:00 PM »
I am happy with Ryan's Telfer's debut. If he can get good service through the channels, he can do damage. He has good speed and made some smart runs. Good service would be the key in getting the best out of him. My other point, I hope Greg Ranjitsingh's issues re: passport is dealt with soon because we are in need of a keeper that commands his area. We have some good shot stoppers but the goal keeping role has evolved waaay past being just that. Ross Russell Jr...SMH.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 06, 2019, 07:53:33 PM »
Not impressed with LP

I agree. What are your reasons?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is his role on the field. Is he a holding midfielder, creative midfielder? Doesnt add anything to the attack and non existent defensively. Frankly he just seems to be the 11th player on the pitch.

I think the word you're looking for is "passenger". Some players are passengers even when the keys are in their hands.

There would be an iota of redemption if he didn't make unjustifiably silly tackles. There was a moment when he was so vehement in his protestations to the referee and he didn't have a leg to stand on in the argument ... probably because he lost it whacking away at the attacker from behind. If nothing else, Leston developed a reputation for leadership as a younger player, but his measured temperament seems to have departed him as he has aged.

Xavi Alonso made the point that going to ground with a with your leg as a scythe is not a badge of honor, merely a mark of desperation and improper reading of the initial play. I made the observation on a recent match discussion thread that LP's tackling is rash and that he delays delivery of the ball to advanced areas.

I stated other things as well, but nevertheless chose him as my 11th player and struggled with that decision because I think Garcia, N is a superior generator of the ball and more dynamic to spurring collective movement and influencing playing rhythm. LP offers disruption of the opponent's play but at a cost that I think is increasingly incompatible with international football that does not involve minnows. Since we rarely play any of those these days, he either needs to reorder his influence on the game or stick around (as deteriorating ranking will mean playing minnows with regularity ... particularly since by that time we would have become one also). 

This team is in dire need of a Bostockesque contribution to recuperating possession and generating the attack.  The truth of the matter is that even the Hyland-George pairing is insufficiently dynamic as a central partnership despite both George and Hyland's individual virtues ... which is not to say that Hyland, George and Bostock couldn't play together as a '3'.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:02:14 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 06, 2019, 08:14:13 PM »
Andre Boucaud was a hustler. He was ok in the middle of the field. We still miss him though..

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 06, 2019, 08:26:13 PM »
I am happy with Ryan's Telfer's debut. If he can get good service through the channels, he can do damage. He has good speed and made some smart runs. Good service would be the key in getting the best out of him. My other point, I hope Greg Ranjitsingh's issues re: passport is dealt with soon because we are in need of a keeper that commands his area. We have some good shot stoppers but the goal keeping role has evolved waaay past being just that. Ross Russell Jr...SMH.

Spot on.

What Telfer brought was polish, intelligence/thought, guile and determination ...

Yet, it must also be said that we ought not be overly dependent on that singular solution ... other ideas for progressing the ball ought to be meshed into our attacking personality. We neither want to run him ragged or make play predictable ... which, for instance, on the stage of the U-13 Champions League is a charge I felt Jabloteh was open to on both counts.

In commenting about what Mexican football could learn from Caribbean football, Jacques Passy identified our direct play as a takeaway. I found that to be an interesting comment ... when the critique (including mine) is that we have a penchant for directness absent imagination and in Mexico a penchant for layered elaboration that broadly overlooks direct play because it feels less sophisticated to  their imagination of how play should be constructed ... the very reason why we seem to have fallen asleep at the precise moment that they unlock our defences. They have so many worked approaches to unlocking in their toolkit. Despite Passy's compliment, we need greater versatility taught earlier in players' development.

From a purist standpoint, it was pleasing to see Martinique rely on some of those resources in waltzing by us. What was less pleasing is that I didn't see recognition from the bench of what needed to be resolved to end Martinique's freedom of the park.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:28:24 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 06, 2019, 08:28:12 PM »
Not impressed with LP

I agree. What are your reasons?

I'm trying to figure out what exactly is his role on the field. Is he a holding midfielder, creative midfielder? Doesnt add anything to the attack and non existent defensively. Frankly he just seems to be the 11th player on the pitch.

I think the word you're looking for is "passenger". Some players are passengers even when the keys are in their hands.

There would be an iota of redemption if he didn't make unjustifiably silly tackles. There was a moment when he was so vehement in his protestations to the referee and he didn't have a leg to stand on in the argument ... probably because he lost it whacking away at the attacker from behind. If nothing else, Leston developed a reputation for leadership as a younger player, but his measured temperament seems to have departed him as he has aged.

Xavi Alonso made the point that going to ground with a with your leg as a scythe is not a badge of honor, merely a mark of desperation and improper reading of the initial play. I made the observation on a recent match discussion thread that LP's tackling is rash and that he delays delivery of the ball to advanced areas.

I stated other things as well, but nevertheless chose him as my 11th player and struggled with that decision because I think Garcia, N is a superior generator of the ball and more dynamic to spurring collective movement and influencing playing rhythm. LP offers disruption of the opponent's play but at a cost that I think is increasingly incompatible with international football that does not involve minnows. Since we rarely play any of those these days, he either needs to reorder his influence on the game or stick around (as deteriorating ranking will mean playing minnows with regularity ... particularly since by that time we would have become one also). 

This team is in dire need of a Bostockesque contribution to recuperating possession and generating the attack.  The truth of the matter is that even the Hyland-George pairing is insufficiently dynamic as a central partnership despite both George and Hyland's individual virtues ... which is not to say that Hyland, George and Bostock couldn't play together as a '3'.

seeker we need to operate ah '3' full stop Molino has little influence on the game as a "10" because he get no meaningful service most of the time, Hyland can at least still carry a ball, he and Molino, can adequately carry us from defense to attack and I still think d defense should push up and be proactive, time and time again Martinique was exploiting that space between mid and defense with measured pings and threading
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 08:31:19 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 06, 2019, 08:32:49 PM »
I wouldn't even say "exploit" ... they were like conquerors claiming it for France because we were uninterested in occupying it. It was our gift without a treaty.

Where was the line of confrontation?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 06, 2019, 08:36:00 PM »
Andre Boucaud was a hustler. He was ok in the middle of the field. We still miss him though..

Good point. Seems like ancient history now.

How often did Hyland and Boucaud play together?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 06, 2019, 08:37:59 PM »
Aubrey isn't playing where he plays for his club? Thoughts? Acceptable delivery? Rating?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 06, 2019, 08:39:40 PM »
How solid is Nathaniel Garcia defensively?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pick yuh Team for Martinique
« Reply #132 on: September 06, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »
btw, my team woulda win  ;D

Of course! You picked about 15 players.  :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 06, 2019, 08:47:51 PM »
The play that transpired after that 88th minute T&T corner-kick pretty much sums up T&T football today.

T&T is awarded the corner-kick.  T&T player waltzs lazily and nonchalantly to the corner to take the kick. Only 2 T&T players were in the opposition's PK area to await the corner-kick.  Corner-kick is taken.  The ball predictably is easily caught and held by the opposition Goalkeeper.  Opposition's goalkeeper THROWS the ball to one of his midfielders at the halfway-line, with no T&T players anywhere around that opposition midfielder (even though just moments before there were only TWO solitary T&T players in the opposition's penalty area to await the impending T&T corner-kick).

The counter-attack started by the opposition goalkeeper who threw the ball to the halfway-line, is continued UN-OPPOSED by opposition's midfielder who is able, via a series of UN-OPPSED passes, to get the ball to an opposition forward IN THE T&T PENALTY AREA --- and that opposition forward is able to EASILY avoid the T&T defender's poor defense, and with his back to goal, he is able to spin towards goal and take a very good clever shot towards the T&T goal, leaving the T&T defenders and goalkeeper flatfooted and dumbfounded.  T&T was lucky on that play as the ball richocheted off the goal-post.  Although Martinique did not score on that play, this is the type of weak school-boy football that has defined T&T jokey-football in the past few years now.  :banginghead:

We were tempting fate. I was braced for some late minute drama ... there's always the second leg.

We have the resources to defeat Martinique, I just wish that we would make less of a production of it and handle the matter clinically.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 06, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »

Winger thought he was a CM we need another attacking CM bad, but he very direct and seems smart, more than ah could say for Levi, good individual quality on the ball but pretty dumb player all things considered......

also that is the first time I have seen us break like like dat in a long long time.......Levi kept duncely drifting wide away from help during the Gold cup

You're not going to get an attacking CM.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2019, 08:51:05 PM »
I wouldn't even say "exploit" ... they were like conquerors claiming it for France because we were uninterested in occupying it. It was our gift without a treaty.

Where was the line of confrontation?

:D ;D :cursing: sigh so true :frustrated: :-[
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2019, 08:52:42 PM »
Thank you Telfer, that moment of brilliance gave us a point.

Bateau and the player who passed to Telfer..

And Joevin. :applause:

Thankfully there was no uncertainty as to who was going to take the penalty.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2019, 08:56:36 PM »
DL should just come out of retirement  and play instead ah should every instruction  to players

:thinking:

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2019, 08:59:39 PM »
Aubrey isn't playing where he plays for his club? Thoughts? Acceptable delivery? Rating?
I watched the 2nd half and he didn't have his best game, I remembered he got beaten on a blind side run on the flank but luckily they failed on convert on that opportunity. In fact DL was shouting basic instructions to him like "stay on your toes" or "shift inside", he called Aubrey's name a lot. What position does he play for his club?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2019, 09:00:31 PM »
You can hear Dennis' continuous stream of coaching commands quite clearly. It is very illuminating the types of instructions he feels he needs to give this deep into his tenure.

Oh.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2019, 09:02:24 PM »
Thank you Telfer, that moment of brilliance gave us a point.

Bateau and the player who passed to Telfer..

And Joevin. :applause:

Thankfully there was no uncertainty as to who was going to take the penalty.
Yes Joevin deserves credit. I couldn't believe Bateau made that run, he was committed. Kudos to him and whoever passed the ball.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 06, 2019, 09:03:32 PM »
I watched the 2nd half and he didn't have his best game, I remembered he got beaten on a blind side run on the flank but luckily they failed on convert on that opportunity. In fact DL was shouting basic instructions to him like "stay on your toes" or "shift inside", he called Aubrey's name a lot. What position does he play for his club?

CB.

Yeah, as they say in the UK ... he didn't cover himself in glory.

Might be time to ask why a player who plays in that position (Julien) regularly wasn't granted the opportunity to play on his patch.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:07:47 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 06, 2019, 09:05:00 PM »

I mean like an "8" or B2B someone that carry the ball with speed through the middle especially from deep. 
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 09:08:04 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 06, 2019, 09:10:39 PM »

I mean like an "8" or B2B someone that carry the ball with speed through the middle especially from deep. 

John Bostock. Find me at Nottingham Forest.

Or find a player with similar attributes ... hint, hint.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 06, 2019, 09:17:53 PM »
It is one year to the day since we last won a match.  :cursing:

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 06, 2019, 09:48:35 PM »
Who down on the floor injured after the final whistle? I hope it isn't my cousin Ryan eh?
Telfer must have shown real good - the way yuh drop the family connection early, and easy, so   :D

From his performances for both Toronto FC and Yorke 9 he has been getting a lot of praise for his playing which in turn got him the call up to the Soca Warriors. I keep in contact to see how he is doing with him and his club's progress lately.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 06, 2019, 09:54:38 PM »
It is one year to the day since we last won a match.  :cursing:
Helluva drought. Don't worry once we get a home the wins will come.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pick yuh Team for Martinique
« Reply #147 on: September 06, 2019, 09:57:28 PM »
btw, my team woulda win  ;D

Of course! You picked about 15 players.  :devil:
Well the bracketed (4) were possible subs, after the coach confused the hell outta the attacking starters. Instructions on field Not being what was worked on during the 5 days of training. Didn’t have time for strategy.

Btw, who were his subs
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 10:01:12 PM by maxg »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #148 on: September 07, 2019, 12:05:00 AM »
Soca Warriors 1 vs Martinique 1 in Nations League.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

A 65th-minute penal­ty from Jo­evin Jones en­sured that T&T's So­ca War­riors shared the points with Mar­tinique in their open­ing match of the CON­CA­CAF Na­tions League at the Stade Pierre Alik­er Sta­di­um in Mar­tinique on Fri­day night.

The So­ca War­riors, wound­ed af­ter a 1-0 loss to St Vin­cent and the Grenadines re­cent­ly, ap­peared strength­ened by the re­cruit­ment of speedy Canadian-based mid­field­er Ryan Telfer who was on de­but. But in the first half though, they could not stop the home team from tak­ing the ad­van­tage, fol­low­ing a pe­ri­od of dom­i­nance in pos­ses­sion in the 40th minute. From a left side cor­ner, Cyril Man­dou­ki ben­e­fit­ted from a de­flect­ed ef­fort that fell nice­ly in his path, to fire past goal­keep­er Mar­vin Philip for a 1-0 lead.

And de­spite re­lent­less at­tacks in the mo­ments that fol­lowed, the home team could on­ly main­tain their ad­van­tage at the half-time in­ter­val.

Af­ter the break, the home team sought to con­tin­ue their dom­i­nance ear­ly, and it was on­ly a des­per­ate clear­ance by Daneil Cyrus from a Stephone Aboul right-side cross reach­ing the dan­ger­ous legs of goalscor­er Man­dou­ki in the area. Lat­er in the 53rd minute, the home team should have in­creased their ad­van­tage.

This time Aboul, put through on the right side, de­liv­ered per­fect­ly for Yann Thi­man to fire an un­con­trolled shot over the cross­bar.

But Den­nis Lawrence's men came to life in the 59th minute, when Kevin Moli­no and Mar­cus Joseph ex­changed pass­es on the right side, and the lat­ter with a clear shot at goal, turned it wide of the post.

Telfer, how­ev­er, was the ar­chi­tect of the T&T equal­iz­er from the penal­ty spot. The mid­field­er ex­hib­it­ed blind­ing speed to get past his mark­er down the right flank, be­fore re­leas­ing to Shel­don Bateau in­side the area. But be­fore Bateau could have got­ten an at­tempt at goal, de­fend­er Am­broise Fe­licitet stormed in to sweep his legs from un­der him, caus­ing the ref­er­ee to point to the penal­ty spot.

Jo­evin Jones then stepped up and beat Loc Chou­vet in the Mar­tinique goal for the equal­iz­er.

Telfer with an­oth­er surg­ing run down the left side was hacked down in the area a sec­ond time in the 70th minute, but this time the ref­er­ee waved play-on.

In time added on, Mar­tinique al­most clinched the win when Ro­mario Barthel­ery turned nice­ly in the box from a feed by Ar­naud Huygues, but his curl­ing left-foot­er crashed against Phillip's up­right, be­fore go­ing to the safe­ty.

Teams

Trinidad & Tobago: 1.Marvin Phillip (GK); 2.Aubrey David, 4.Sheldon Bateau (capt), 5.Daneil Cyrus, 17.Ross Russell Jr (16.Alvin Jones 71), 19.Kevan George, 23.Leston Paul, 3.Joevin Jones (11.Levi Garcia 71), 10.Kevin Molino, 7.Ryan Telfer (20.Jomal Williams 76), 15.Marcus Joseph,

Unused substitutes: 21.Glenroy Samuel (GK), 22.Adrian Foncette (GK), 6.Keston Julien, 8.Andre Fortune Jr, 9.Jameel Perry, 12.Carlyle Mitchell, 13.Judah Garcia, 14.Daniel Carr, 18.Nathaniel Garcia.

Coach: Dennis Lawrence.

Martinique: 1.Loic Chauvet (GK); 22.Romario Barthelery, 3.Ambroise Felicitet, 21.Sebastien Cretinor (captain), 2.Yordan Thimon; 19.Daniel Herelle, 15.Cyril Mandouki (5.Karl Vitulin 78); 10.Julio Donisa (6.Thierry Catherine 84), 12.Johnny Marajo, 20.Stephane Abaul, 14.Yann Thimon (17.Montabord Rene-Charles 78).

Unused substitutes: 16.Amaud Des Etages (GK), 23.Stephane Michalet (GK), 4.Gerald Dondon, 7.Andy Cesar, 8.Jordy Delem, 9.Marvin Bellance, 11.Andy Mamy, 13.Christof Jougon.

Coach: Mario Bocaly.

Highlights - Relive the Joevin Jones’s penalty kick giving Trinidad the draw

RELATED NEWS

Joevin’s penalty earns T&T 1-1 draw in CNL opener.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach Dennis Lawrence expressed some level of satisfaction with the efforts of his players as this country came away with a 1-1 draw against a tricky Martinique outfit in their opening match of CONCACAF Nations League qualifying in Fort-de-France on Friday night.

Canadian-based forward Ryan Telfer made his international debut for T&T as Lawrence gave him his first cap alongside India-based forward Marcus Joseph in the attack. It was Joseph though who found himself with the early opportunities to put T&T ahead but he mis-fired on the evening for the visitors.

A minute into the match, Joseph collected inside the box before turning and firing to goal but goalkeeper Loic Chauvet. Martinique settled into stride midway through the first half and once they did, they pressured T&T creating a couple proper chances to take the lead. Midfielder Stephane Abaul fired inches over bar on 22 minutes.

Telfer rose nicely to head from a right side cross by Leston Paul, forcing Chauvet to push around his left post. But after a goalmouth scramble in the T&T box, it was the homeside which drew first blood. T&T failed to handle a right side corner allowing the ball to fall to Julio Doniso whose close range blast deflected off Joevin Jones and France-born midfielder Cyril Mandouki slotted home in the 41st.

T&T regrouped and came again in the second half. Telfer was out the blocks early after a Martinique left sided corner was cleaned up at the back. T&T skipper Sheldon Bateau made the box to box run as Telfer flew down the right flank and played inside for the Belgium-based defender who was hacked down by defender Ambroise Felicitet. Jones converted the resulting penalty clinically to level the scores at one apiece in minute 63.

Moments later Telfer made another drive into the box, this time on the left and was bundled over again but Panamanian referee Jose Kellys waved play on.

T&T were pressed into their own half for the closing minutes as Martinique tried desperately to steal a late winner. Thierry Catherine effort struck the upright in added on time.

The “Warriors” will now look to secure three points when both teams meet again at the Hasely Crawford Stadium at 9:00pm on Monday. Tickets are available at NLCB outlets nationwide .

“I thought tonight we started the game very well. We had a couple changes early on which could have put us in a better position. We knew we would have to weather the storm a bit and see it out. The boys did absolutely remarkable to get themselves back into the game so I was really really pleased for the boys. Now it’s all about recovery and getting home to make sure we are ready for the for the next game on Monday,” Lawrence said.

“Once you are playing away from home you got to expect the opposition, they got the fans behind them and they will throw everything at you. Martinique started to grow in confidence once we let them off the hook after the first fifteen minutes because I thought we should have scored. They grew in confidence and started to take control of the game and we had to weather the storm. But I’m pleased with the boys and the effort they gave in the end to get something from the game,” Lawrence added.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:41:13 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 07, 2019, 03:29:02 AM »
Any links to the full game?

1]; } ?>