March 28, 2024, 08:04:39 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)  (Read 32728 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)
« Reply #240 on: September 09, 2019, 10:13:50 PM »
Possession 52% T&T to 48% Martinique
Shots 14 to 13
Shots on target 4 to 5
Passing accuracy 78% to 75%
Passes 376 to 355
Corners 4 to 4
Offside 5 to 4
Fouls 21 to 19
Yellow cards 2 to 2

Basically a fair result.

Yep, so it seems. Also, we made 2 personnel changes and they made 3 by my count (starting XIs).

Knowing more about pass accuracy in different/specific areas of the field would also add nuance to how the outcome is assessed (instead of just assessing all the passes all across the field).

« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:16:12 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Spursy

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Willis Plaza Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: September 09, 2019, 10:32:14 PM »
Congratulations Dennis Lawrence. History will always remember the worse coach of all time.
From World Cup hero to villain.
The end is near, one things for sure, Trinidad will never forget and we will never forgive the ones that bought us to our knees and took away the joy from our football.
There is a special place in football hell awaiting.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 10:42:59 PM by SWO_TNTFAN »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #242 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:13 AM »
T&T play to 2-2 draw with Martinique in Nations League clash.
TTFA Media.

Trinidad and Tobago had to settle for a point after conceding two second half goals in a 2-2 draw with Martinique in CONCACAF Nations League qualifying at the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Monday night.

Playing before 2000 fans, T&T were purposeful and looked a driven side in the first half. Minnesota United midfielder Kevin Molino drilled a right footer home on 17 minutes to beat goalkeeper Loic Chauvet.

The halftime whistle was still ringing in fans’ ears when Ryan Telfer doubled the lead. The forward, who debuted for Trinidad and Tobago last week, got the last touch on the ball in a goal-line scramble.

But Martinique fought back at the hour mark, with a corner kick deflecting off Trinidad and Tobago’s Daniel Carr to cut the deficit in half.

And then Jordy Delem was there in the 80th minute to knock in a ball from a set piece that had taken a deflection and sat for the taking in the box.

The home side surged forward, looking to retake the lead, but Chauvet’s double save in the 88th minute to efforts by Leston Paul and Molino  helped earn Les Matinino the point.

T&T faces Honduras in their next Nations League clash at home on October 10 and will play a friendly away to Mexico in Toluca on October 2.

Highlights - Great game between Trinidad and Martinique!

Interview with Sheldon Bateau

(Team)

Trinidad and Tobago (4-1-4-1): 1.Marvin Phillip (GK); 16.Alvin Jones, 4.Sheldon Bateau (captain), 5.Daneil Cyrus, 2.Aubrey David; 19.Kevan George; 11.Levi Garcia (3.Joevin Jones 62), 23.Leston Paul, 10.Kevin Molino, 7.Ryan Telfer; 14.Daniel Carr (15.Jameel Perry 81).

Unused substitutes: 21.Glenroy Samuel (GK), 22.Adrian Foncette (GK), 6.Keston Julien, 8.Andre Fortune Jr, 12.Carlyle Mitchell, 13.Judah Garcia, 9.Marcus Joseph, 17.Ross Russell Jr, 18.Nathaniel Garcia, 20.Jomal Williams.

Coach: Dennis Lawrence

Martinique (4-3-3): 1.Loic Chauvet (GK); 22.Romario Barthelery (6.Thierry Catherine 24), 8.Jordy Delem, 21.Sebastien Cretinoir (captain), 2.Yordan Thimon; 5.Karl Vitulin, 13.Christof Jougon, 19.Daniel Herelle; 12.Johnny Marajo (7.Andy Cesar 70), 20.Stephane Abaul, 10.Julio Donisa (11.Andy Mamy 58).

Unused substitutes: 16.Amaud Des Etages (GK), 23.Stephane Michalet (GK), 4.Gerald Dondon, 9.Marvin Bellance, 17.Montabord Rene-Charles, 18.Gregory Banal.

Coach: Mario Bocaly

Referee: Diego Montano (Mexico)

Trinidad and Tobago 2 (Kevin Molino 17, Ryan Telfer 46), Martinique 2 (Daniel Carr OG 59, Jordy Delem 80) at Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Wired868 - Editor’s Note: Trinidad and Tobago’s longest ever stretch without a win is 12 matches which the team endured between 1969 and 1971 under coaches Claude “River Vine” Maurice and Ken Henry and again in 1985 under Roderick Warner.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: September 10, 2019, 01:23:59 AM »
As long as we have players like marvin Phillip who is incapable of keeping a clean sheet, lesson Paul who’s a staunch laborer lacking in creativity and kevan george who severely lacks quality and speed who’s never made a clever pass that lead to a goal or just an assist for the years he’s been on the team, then we will always suffer such crushing disappointing defeats.

It’s time to clean house starting with the federation prez on down, these men have zero knowhow and can’t even grind out a win. from what I’ve seen of those two foreign born players, we need to clean house and get a full 2nd generation trini team because those lads play with more urgency than the local lads, like I thought telfer was just short of fantastic and carr played his socks off, i say it’s time to introduce Greg, fortune and powder to the line up.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 01:26:10 AM by pull stones »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2019, 04:13:54 AM »
If yuh lookin for a clever pass from kevan yuh lookin in d wrong place...Kevan need close options that can pass or carry the ball around him when he wins it, to defer quickly and easily and get into position....he is ah ball winner in purest sense.....unfortunately
I pity the fool....

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #245 on: September 10, 2019, 06:30:23 AM »
I ain’t watch the game but I’ve seen the highlights. Sounds like it was a game we could’ve won if not for missed chances, an own goal and bad concentration. Not sure if this specific one can be blamed on Dennis.

But overall it’s his choice to refuse eligible players (especially man like Telfer) when we clearly need reinforcements. Instead he calling up man from Super League and shit.

If he had a more expansive selection process, we coulda been in a much place results and confidence-wise where a flukesy draw with Martinique wouldn’t hurt as much.

Unless ‘keep it cheap’ is an instruction from the top down. So I guess the top hadda go first.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: September 10, 2019, 08:24:02 AM »
I ain’t watch the game but I’ve seen the highlights. Sounds like it was a game we could’ve won if not for missed chances, an own goal and bad concentration. Not sure if this specific one can be blamed on Dennis.

But overall it’s his choice to refuse eligible players (especially man like Telfer) when we clearly need reinforcements. Instead he calling up man from Super League and shit.

If he had a more expansive selection process, we coulda been in a much place results and confidence-wise where a flukesy draw with Martinique wouldn’t hurt as much.

Unless ‘keep it cheap’ is an instruction from the top down. So I guess the top hadda go first.

Yep!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: September 10, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »

D prez has been transparently forceful about getting local players on the field at any cost...d cost however is high, there are talented players but most don't play at the required intensity to be simply plugged into the team
I pity the fool....

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: September 10, 2019, 08:57:46 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: September 10, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »
Possession 52% T&T to 48% Martinique
Shots 14 to 13
Shots on target 4 to 5
Passing accuracy 78% to 75%
Passes 376 to 355
Corners 4 to 4
Offside 5 to 4
Fouls 21 to 19
Yellow cards 2 to 2

Basically a fair result.

Yep, so it seems. Also, we made 2 3 personnel changes and they made 3 by my count (starting XIs).

Knowing more about pass accuracy in different/specific areas of the field would also add nuance to how the outcome is assessed (instead of just assessing all the passes all across the field).

Because JJ and Levi were both involved in the first encounter I didn't count that.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: September 10, 2019, 11:10:16 AM »
If yuh lookin for a clever pass from kevan yuh lookin in d wrong place...Kevan need close options that can pass or carry the ball around him when he wins it, to defer quickly and easily and get into position....he is ah ball winner in purest sense.....unfortunately
so let me get this straight, we have two ball winners? because I was under the impression that was hyland and lesson paul’s job, no wonder most of our creativity comes from the flanks which is very scarce.

IMO lesson Paul and George does the same job which is to foul the crap out of the opposition, we are in dire need of a deli ali type midfielder and a Paul pogba because these two stagnant ball watchers who can’t even finish ( lesson Paul’s shot straight at the keeper) and needs to be on the bench and should only be used to close games when we have a sizable lead, as for marvin, please dennis get rid!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 11:12:10 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 10, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »

CAPTION THIS. 

What the hell did I get myself into, and Who the hell are these people yelling in my ears, are they supposed to be kin folks?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 10, 2019, 12:05:40 PM »
Reaper2004, who are these fans.  We know they are local fans. But say what. We have not a clue who they are?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 10, 2019, 12:23:53 PM »
Caption: All ah we is one famalee! :applause: :applause: :wavetowel: :wavetowel: :wavetowel:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:32:18 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 10, 2019, 12:27:24 PM »
Reaper2004, who are these fans.  We know they are local fans. But say what. We have not a clue who they are?

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 10, 2019, 03:07:28 PM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.
Ent! The question is, which on is Reaper? :devil:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: September 10, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

He might be taking de pic.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 10, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Nah, he in de pic. Ah go leave him tuh identify heself.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: September 10, 2019, 06:41:40 PM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Ok, since we can’t guess the National team, we could try ‘guess the Reaper’.
As usual as with every knowledge game, Tman is excluded.
1st prize. 2 cold Carib (compliments Reaper & co.)
2 nd prize. Ah case of stag (compliments maxg)

Wait, once somebody win, it cyah have a 2 nd prize, ok, me and the boys will hold on to that case.

My guess : the fella peeping behind “cousin Ryan”  ;D

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #259 on: September 11, 2019, 12:35:10 AM »
Lawrence: We failed to defend set piece.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

De­spite three goals in two match­es of the CON­CA­CAF Na­tions League, Den­nis Lawrence's So­ca War­riors are set to head back to the draw­ing board to work on their de­fen­sive tac­tics.

Af­ter a 1-1 tie with Mar­tinique on Fri­day last in Mar­tinique, the So­ca War­riors squan­dered a two-goal ad­van­tage 2-0 in the re­turn leg, to share the points in a hurt­ful 2-2 draw at the Hase­ly Craw­ford Sta­di­um, Mu­cu­rapo on Mon­day night.

Sup­port­ed by an ap­pre­cia­tive crowd that in­clud­ed Min­is­ter of Sports and Youth Af­fairs Sham­fa Cud­joe, and for­mer na­tion­al strik­er and goal­keep­er Dwight Yorke and Sha­ka His­lop, among many oth­ers, the team set­tled ear­ly in the match and were re­ward­ed when Kevin Moli­no found him­self at the end of a way­ward back-kick by goal­keep­er Loic Chau­vet and ri­fled his shot back past him for the ad­van­tage. And soon af­ter the break, Cana­di­an based mid­field­er Ryan Telfer was al­so re­ward­ed for a work­man-like per­for­mance with a goal in the 45th minute.

But for all the chances cre­at­ed, the TT de­fence matched it in blun­ders and it was man­i­fest­ed from a 59th-minute cor­ner from which poor track­ing and mark­ing al­lowed Daniel Her­relle quick­ly pounced on a loose ball. And lat­er Jordy Delem wait­ed un­marked at the back post to tap in a ball that was thread­ed through the TT de­fence twice.

Lawrence in a post-match press con­fer­ence af­ter­wards said "In terms of ef­fort from the boys phys­i­cal­ly, you can't fault them, but we just didn't deal with the re­spon­si­bil­i­ty we had to deal with, which was to de­fend the set pieces. Tonight we scored two goals, but could not keep a clean sheet. We couldn't de­fend the two goals we had, so if you look at it, be­fore we couldn't score, we were con­ced­ing, now we could score but we con­ced­ing. We need to go back to the draw­ing board in terms of us try­ing to en­sure that we can keep clean sheets be­cause if we score two at home and lead­ing 2-0, I don't ex­pect us to con­cede two goals in the man­ner we did."

He added, "We set our­selves tar­gets go­ing in­to these two games and it wasn't to come out with two points in two games. Our tar­get was four or six and we had an op­por­tu­ni­ty tonight and we lost it. How­ev­er, we need to re­fo­cus. We in the past would se­lect squads based on per­for­mances for your club. We have got­ten to a stage now where we se­lect­ing squads based on play­ers just play­ing foot­ball, which is not ide­al."

T&T will next face Hon­duras in the Na­tions League and Lawrence said we need to im­prove, par­tic­u­lar­ly in con­ced­ing goals, say­ing our down­fall tonight was hav­ing the right men­tal­i­ty to de­fend.

RELATED NEWS

T&T throw away 2-0 lead to draw with Martinique.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

Set-piece weakness

DENNIS Lawrence, T&T men’s football team coach, has bemoaned the team’s inability to defend set-pieces.

Lawrence was speaking in the post-game media conference at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Monday night, after T&T allowed Martinique to rally from two goals down to draw 2-2 in their League A Group C second-leg tie, in the Concacaf Nations League.

Kevin Molino and Ryan Telfer gave T&T a 2-0 cushion with goals in the 17th and 46th minutes respectively, but striker Daniel Carr responded with an own goal, in the 59th, and Jordy Delem tied the scores with 11 minutes of regulation time remaining.

Asked what went wrong for T&T in the second half, Lawrence replied, “We (couldn’t) defend set pieces. It’s a problem we identified in the first game. We didn’t have enough people in the box ready to put their head on it and take a cut. It’s that simple.”

T&T and Martinique drew 1-1 in their first leg contest in Fort-de-France, Martinique on Friday.

Martinique coach Mario Bocaly acknowledged that his team relied a lot on set-pieces against T&T.

“We worked on everything on T&T,” Bocaly said. “We saw (their) quality but we saw (their) faults. We (scored on set-pieces) three times during the two games.”

Monday’s result meant that T&T are yet to win an international match since a 2-0 victory over the United Arab Emirates on September 6, 2018, in Girona, Spain. Since then, T&T have drawn five games and lost seven.

Questioned about the win-less run, Lawrence responded, “I can speak about (Monday) night. We scored two goals and we couldn’t keep a clean sheet. We couldn’t defend the two-goal lead that we had.

“If you look at the overall picture, before we couldn’t score and we conceded, now we could score and we’re still conceding. We need to go back to the drawing board in terms of trying to ensure that we can keep clean sheets. We need to get set and look forward to October.”

Honduras, the other team in this three-team Group C, will meet T&T in a home-and-away tie on October 10 and 13. Lawrence was also asked if there will be changes to the T&T squad before the Honduras matches.

He replied, “Before you talk about changes, you need to have options. We need to find the options first, then start thinking about changes. There are a couple (players) that we’re working on, to bring in to represent TT.

“I’m hoping that, between now and October, that their documents would come into play so we can put some more pressure on the boys that are in the squad. I think we need competition.”

Bocaly was pleased with his team’s display on Monday.

According to the Martinique coach, “I’m proud of my players because it was so difficult (in) the beginning of the game because Trinidad were more solid than they were on Friday. They played really well in the first half. To get two goals is very good for Martinique.”

Martinique is not a member of FIFA and ineligible to enter any the FIFA World Cup or FIFA-organised competition, since it is an overseas department of France.

Delem plays in the American MLS (Major League Soccer) with Seattle Sounders and French-born striker Julio Donisa plays for Lyon-Duchere in France.

“We have so much new players in the team, only two professionals. The other ones work in the morning and train in the night,” said Bocaly. “It’s a reality of Martinique football. We work with these players. They’re proud of representing the team.”

« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 12:39:04 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 11, 2019, 09:55:42 AM »
A much better game and a result that I am happy with,I knew Martinique had the beating of us,this was a "banana skin"waiting to happen,praise the Lord it didn't happen.Let's hope we can "luck" it all the way in the matches to come.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: September 11, 2019, 11:27:25 AM »
We made and missed so many chances though, one good takeaway is that we appear to be becoming competent at counterAttacking again...their are still players dat operate way to slow at this level, but there was improvement, defense is still utter shit though...but was hearing Dennis on d sidelines though, press d ball...get tight.....fall back.....I startin to wonder how much of this is on Dennis and how much is d players attitude, information retention and application
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: September 11, 2019, 06:22:38 PM »
Lefty, DL is the man under the gun, but these guys are professionals, not dock workers playing football in the evening. Not making any excuses for DL. He has limited time with these guys. There is so much he can get them to do. Maybe their club football is part of the issues plaguing our team now.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 08:46:01 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #263 on: September 12, 2019, 12:34:39 AM »
Lawrence: Lack of top-class players a concern.

NATIONAL men’s football team coach Dennis Lawrence is concerned about the lack of top-class players at his disposal.

Lawrence was speaking during the post-game media conference on Monday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, following T&T’s 2-2 draw against Martinique in their Concacaf Nations League, League A, Group C second-leg tie.

Lawrence, the former T&T central defender, was asked if he has enough material to work with, in terms of a talent pool.

“When you look at what we used to call on before, it’s not the same,” Lawrence replied. “We’re calling on a different level of players. A lot of our players are going to India and the target for some of them seems to be the USL (United Soccer League – US), and that’s what we’re picking from. That’s what it is so we have to just work with it.”

The T&T coach was diplomatic in his response, when asked if he thinks the current crop of players are good enough to succeed at the international level.

“I think the challenge remains,” Lawrence said. “If you look at the squad that was selected, we, in the past, would select squads based on performances for your football club. “We’ve got to a stage now where we’re selecting squads based on players just on playing football, which is not ideal,” he continued. “Now the target for a lot of these players is to be selected based on performance. “I have to give credit to Ryan Telfer. He’s performing for his club and he comes and perform for T&T. I hope the boys can learn from his example.” Telfer, a Canadian-born winger, was one of three overseas-born newcomers called up for the pair of Martinique matches. Centre forward Daniel Carr (England-born) and midfielder Andre Fortune (US-born) were the others. Telfer made his debut in the 1-1 draw on Friday’s first leg, and Carr got his maiden international cap on Monday.

Commenting on Carr’s display, Lawrence said, “I thought he did well. He led the line and was very unfortunate not to get himself a goal (in the 72nd minute). With a bit more conviction, he would have put the ball in the back of the net. I was pleased with him and he can build on his performance.” An estimated 2,000 were on hand to watch T&T’s first international match at home since April 2018. “To the ones that turned up, thank you very much for your support,” he said.

“The only thing I can promise is we would always be working very hard to give them what they deserve. Regardless of what we do, we have to support our country. That’s how I am and that’s how I’ll continue to be.” Lawrence added, “We turned up tonight and the only thing we were focused on (was) trying to get a victory. We had it in the palm of our hands and we gave it away.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: September 12, 2019, 05:11:09 AM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Wait, once somebody win, it cyah have a 2 nd prize, ok, me and the boys will hold on to that case.

Reaper disappear as soon as yuh mention prize giving. :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pick yuh Team for Martinique
« Reply #265 on: September 12, 2019, 05:34:01 AM »
either we get all wrong, including seeker and his 5 lineups or the coach don't know what he doing...I suspecting the latter, I trust allyuh more than him. ah could be wrong, but something he doing ain't right

“Forget players, systems, anything else, its mentality. And the mentality tonight, to defend set pieces was not strong enough.” --- Dennis Lawrence, post-match comments versus Martinique, second leg.

Mentality is a primary thread of the comments I've posted about players and their merits and demerits and whether they would appear in my pick.

What are your thoughts on his comments?

He's the one picking the team and set pieces are a common feature of the game and a deficiency that is well-documented.

For one thing, it seems evident that the zone of creation is where selection needs to be revisited and where there is a failure.

Is no one tired of these lowest common denominator responses?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 05:36:19 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: September 12, 2019, 05:49:06 AM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Everyone in that pic minus those to the left are the Telfer family. Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and a brother(with his wife and 2 daughters in the pic)

And of y'all can't find me or notice something that stands out then I don't know what to say lmaooooo

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: September 12, 2019, 06:18:09 AM »
Well boy my detective skills musbe waning real bad.....I can't really pick no telepathic standout in dat pic dat says "i is reaper"
I pity the fool....

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 12, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »

Yuh miss de whole plot.

Everyone in that pic minus those to the left are the Telfer family. Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and a brother(with his wife and 2 daughters in the pic)

And of y'all can't find me or notice something that stands out then I don't know what to say lmaooooo
2nd left of " Cousin Ryan"

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)d
« Reply #269 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:42 AM »
Lawrence: Lack of top-class players a concern.

NATIONAL men’s football team coach Dennis Lawrence is concerned about the lack of top-class players at his disposal.

Lawrence was speaking during the post-game media conference on Monday night at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo, following T&T’s 2-2 draw against Martinique in their Concacaf Nations League, League A, Group C second-leg tie.

Lawrence, the former T&T central defender, was asked if he has enough material to work with, in terms of a talent pool.

“When you look at what we used to call on before, it’s not the same,” Lawrence replied. “We’re calling on a different level of players. A lot of our players are going to India and the target for some of them seems to be the USL (United Soccer League – US), and that’s what we’re picking from. That’s what it is so we have to just work with it.”

The T&T coach was diplomatic in his response, when asked if he thinks the current crop of players are good enough to succeed at the international level.

“I think the challenge remains,” Lawrence said. “If you look at the squad that was selected, we, in the past, would select squads based on performances for your football club. “We’ve got to a stage now where we’re selecting squads based on players just on playing football, which is not ideal,” he continued. “Now the target for a lot of these players is to be selected based on performance. “I have to give credit to Ryan Telfer. He’s performing for his club and he comes and perform for T&T. I hope the boys can learn from his example.” Telfer, a Canadian-born winger, was one of three overseas-born newcomers called up for the pair of Martinique matches. Centre forward Daniel Carr (England-born) and midfielder Andre Fortune (US-born) were the others. Telfer made his debut in the 1-1 draw on Friday’s first leg, and Carr got his maiden international cap on Monday.

Commenting on Carr’s display, Lawrence said, “I thought he did well. He led the line and was very unfortunate not to get himself a goal (in the 72nd minute). With a bit more conviction, he would have put the ball in the back of the net. I was pleased with him and he can build on his performance.” An estimated 2,000 were on hand to watch T&T’s first international match at home since April 2018. “To the ones that turned up, thank you very much for your support,” he said.

“The only thing I can promise is we would always be working very hard to give them what they deserve. Regardless of what we do, we have to support our country. That’s how I am and that’s how I’ll continue to be.” Lawrence added, “We turned up tonight and the only thing we were focused on (was) trying to get a victory. We had it in the palm of our hands and we gave it away.”
Lawrence all that top class rhetoric you claiming now is pure ole talk so save that for those who’s not following this team closely. I saw you blank Greg Ranjitsingh when he was smoking hot for his USL club, then when he was finally integrated into the team he was never used even opting for washed up phillip and foncette on many occasions.

and if that wasn’t bad enough, in the gold cup when we had nothing to play for you still went ahead and played foncette in the Guyana game refusing to cap the lad, now you’re here talking about player performance after you getting your ass kicked all over the place?

don’t blame the lads dennis but blame yourself particularly when marvin phillip is the biggest error in judgement you’ve made since you began coaching this team. The second error in judgement was to go back to players like Aubrey David,  kevan george and Daniel cyrus when you beat the usa without them and many of your first choice starters.

I sat and watch this martinique game again and by god the errors that the lads were making was just short of astronomical. kevan george is very very slow and to compensate he fouls a lot. the second goal came after he fouled the player unnecessarily when Paul already zeroed in on the player, that foul lead to the free kick which was on it’s way out for a goal kick when bateau redirected it across his goal, something that defenders are never supposed to do, it was the perfect head down for the matiniqan player.

Cyrus also made another glaring defensive error when he opted to put the ball out for a corner instead of a throw in. over the years of watching football i’ve seen other big time defenders plow balls into the stands to avoid giving away a corner kick, but not cyrus, this feller simply kicked the ball out and walked away quite contented.

the goal keeper himself is such a dunce, instead of having his defenders stand on the edge os the six yard box he had them crowd his goal so he had no clear pathway to attack the corner kick, the corner was a very poor corner and equally a piss poor header from levi garcia who headed the ball onto the boot of danial Carr, poor guy got his fist goal for TT no fault of his of course compliments of cyrus, phillip and garcia.

if these players are serious and wants to win games and become world beaters they must pay very close attention to their craft because a lot of these guys are not mentally and tactically aware enough to play in the English conference league.

they lack tactical awareness, interest and the desire to succeed,  it to mention technical ability, in that regard they are severely lacking. ask these lads, how many of you really work on your craft, training on their own like christiano, messi, zlatan and Luca modric do? these great though at the end of their career still put in extra time fine tuning their skill set even though they don’t really have too.

take levi garcia for staters, on his debut he came on and scored a brace for us and every one got excited, but that was the last we saw of this bloke, I don’t know if he got his mind blown or he thought that he had arrived but his performances ever since was found lacking and nothing short of atrocious.

levi, jovin and Kevin could stay but I want to see a few main stay starters gone far from this team, just retired or relagated to the bench, and the first player i want to see gone is marvin phillip and i mean gone for good, give this man his gold watch and send him on his way. I also want to see the back of danial cyrus and Aubrey david, these guys are dead wood.

kevan george and Liston Paul needs to ride pine until we find suitable replacements for them, I also want to include hyland in this bunch. I think neval hackshaw is a way better center midfielder than Paul and goerge and should be starting over them. what I think lawrence should do is stick garcia in the middle of the park and see how he fits in now that we found a winger in telfer. I think garcia over plays his hand on the wing and is responsible for killing quite a few counter attacks that could have resulted in goals for us.

the bottom line is dennis we need to clean house. you did it vs the americans and we got good results and i’m a bit confused as to why you didn’t continue along those lines. these older players want to party and enjoy the fruits of their labor and busting a gut for their country is not on their list of things to do. they want to lay back and make that easy club money, so let them.

there are tons of young second generation trinis who’s up for the task, why not give them a shot instead of insisting on these flunkies.

remember November, it’s right around the corner and look Loy and the crew could barely wait to toss your boss out on his ass, you better get cracking before you get tossed with him.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 11:36:13 AM by pull stones »

1]; } ?>