March 28, 2024, 04:39:08 PM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)  (Read 32749 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Martinique Games (6 & 9-Sept-2019)
« Reply #270 on: September 12, 2019, 11:10:39 AM »
pullstones, while much of what you said is on point, I disagree on the goalkeeper. I don’t see those goal as his fault. The defenders were at fault here. You just don’t like none of the local keepers period.  I am with you on the Rajitsingh fiasco. I honestly believed he should have played against Guyana. But I was glad he did not play because he may have gotten blamed if we had lost. I honestly believe he should be in the mix prominently for WC 2022.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 12, 2019, 11:57:54 AM »
pullstones, while much of what you said is on point, I disagree on the goalkeeper. I don’t see those goal as his fault. The defenders were at fault here. You just don’t like none of the local keepers period.  I am with you on the Rajitsingh fiasco. I honestly believed he should have played against Guyana. But I was glad he did not play because he may have gotten blamed if we had lost. I honestly believe he should be in the mix prominently for WC 2022.
what world cup? have you forgotten that the hex is set in stone? even if we win this nations cup (which is far fetched) we still would be out the top six teams because I believe we don’t have the time to make up the ground needed.

Jamaica and Haiti has taken our spot and our only hope now is to get the fourth slot playoff position. as for dotish marvin the first goal was somewhat his fault because he did not organize his defense properly for the corner. every good keeper leaves room for themselves to attack corners, but look how sloppy and congested his area looked.

that corner should have been attacked punched away grabbed but instead the dunce stayed on his line and allowed a short statued attacker to challenge for the ball resulting in a goal.

you ever wondered why over the years jan micheal, clayton ince , kelvin jack ,cleon John and every other keeper got foreign contracts when marvin never did?

that feller never learned the fundamentals of goal keeping, never mind his heroics and how many great saves he made, every time he keeps for us we wind up conceding, simply examine his record, 95% of the time he plays for us we concede and more than likely it’s a soft goal due to a basic fundamental error. the dude bums, let’s accept it because it’s true.

PS. in our history of international football this is the first keeper we had who don’t know when to stay on his line or when to come out and attacking the football. this guy is very frustrating to watch deeks trust me, he don’t have a clue. i don’t know what our coaches see in him, he’s lost.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 12:06:40 PM by pull stones »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 12, 2019, 09:37:41 PM »
This game was heartbreaking it was the best I have seen the team play under DL cause he had to win but it also showed that he is not ready for international football without them English men to help him on the technical staff he is just as bad as S Hart and B St Clair since them English men went back to England TT defense has now become a open door he is just not ready for the big time.

M Philip was always in no mans land he reminds me of K Jack always getting caught in no mans land every corner every set piece was scary it was like a goal was going to score TT need to give GR a chance they need a goalkeeper that takes command of his box.

The team lost its width when he took off L Garcia he should have taken off A Jones instead.

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 13, 2019, 10:09:20 AM »
Seeker I remembered you posted this in another thread and came across this this today from the Sapin vs Romania's game last week. It touched on a few things you were speaking about in terms of positioning, playing with intention and breaking the lines with a vertical pass. A picture say 1000 words.
There are several ways to respond to this. Since some have already been touched on, I will go this route:

In organized football, play either develops (1) with intentionality (2) organically/instinctively or (3) opportunistically. The identity of a team is discerned from intentional play. The team's quality is assessed (in part) on the organic elements.

While intentional play and its opposite (haphazard play) can both produce opportunistic moments, the haphazard approach can't achieve the level of cohesion (organic, instinctive) that comes from intentional play and intentional preparation.

A team (or subset of players) consistently doing something (passing patterns, movements off the ball etc) or not consistently doing something (say, eliminating the midfield through use of the long ball) are hallmarks and components of an identity and intentionality.

Even if a team has placed greater intentional emphasis on defending, the supreme moment of intention on a field is a direct attempt to score a goal. It is the sum of all other intentions. It is the sum of intentional play.

A one-touch vertical pass intended to break lines and nullify numerical disadvantage is a high order example of intentional play. Where players have exploiting attributes of that nature, it is the coach's job to maximize those exploiting attributes and even if he doesn't have the benefit of rehearsing such activity with the same frequency as one would have in a club environment, one has the responsibility of setting the conditions/stage for players with those attributes to impose themselves in those game situations (cue Pulisic for the US). You only get intentional play from intentional expectations.

The NT has shown what is emphasized as intentional in its play and verticality with the ball and positioning have not been notable highlights.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 10:27:03 AM by soccerman »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 13, 2019, 02:52:15 PM »
Right on time, soccerman. Right on time.  :beermug:

Here's another example of intentionality that I thought of posting then decided not to mash up Molino's thread any further. But now ... the havoc continues elsewhere. :)

EXCERPT:

But the players are not why I'm so interested in this team. It's the coach I have quoted above. His name is Frank Wormuth. He's the reason I always watch a Germany under-20 game on the edge of my seat.

I'm waiting for the team to give the ball away. Intentionally.

First, some background. Wormuth is 54 years old. He made a name for himself as Joachim Low's assistant at Fenerbahce back in 1998 and has coached Germany's under-20s since 2010. Most importantly, though, he became the head of the Hennes Weisweiler Academy, the place where coaching badges are earned, in 2008. Basically, this means that Wormuth coaches the people who want to coach professional teams in Germany.

This is a huge honour, bestowed upon only a handful of people so far. The academy can be traced back to the great Sepp Herberger. When Herberger became national coach, the equally legendary Hennes Weisweiler ran the academy, which is now named after him. In 1970, a man called Gero Bisanz became Weisweiler's successor. Not too many people outside of Germany know Bisanz, but he's a coaching legend, too, because he was the first-ever manager of Germany's women's team.

Since Wormuth is, technically speaking, the most influential coach in the country, I talked to him in the summer of 2013 about the renaissance of the German game. During the course of our conversation, he casually mentioned that not all innovations are as recent as they may seem. As an example, he cited the idea of the intentional stray pass, which he'd first heard about a long time ago.

If you've never heard about the intentional stray pass -- Wormuth prefers the term "planned stray pass" -- let's have a brief look at the idea behind it.

One thing that made the Spanish national team of roughly five years ago so fearsome was the tactic that seems to have become known, thanks to Jurgen Klopp, by an Anglo-German expression Gegenpressing, or counter-pressing. If you lose the ball far upfield, near the other team's penalty area, you don't drop back but instead move forward.

It means your opponents are under pressure the instant they have won possession. Since they cannot properly build from the back, they will either have to play a long ball, essentially conceding possession again, or try a square pass near their own box -- something most of us have been taught at an early age to avoid like the plague because it's very risky.

Now, if properly defending against counter-pressing is so difficult as the tiniest mistake might immediately lead to a good scoring opportunity, why not deliberately create such a situation? Put differently, what if -- under certain circumstances -- you give the ball away with full intention?

It runs counter to most players' (and, indeed, coaches') instincts to do something that seems detrimental on face value. However, it's no longer unusual. Back when Per Mertesacker was playing for Germany, some opposing teams -- Serbia were a particularly extreme case -- would actually move away from him when he had the ball at his feet and was trying to build from the back. It was as if the Red Sea was parting in front of him. Mertesacker was practically forced to move far upfield where, and this was the plan, he would run out of ideas what to do with the ball -- with a lot of open, unmarked space behind him.

Once you've understood the concept behind such tactical ideas, the planned stray pass doesn't sound quite so crazy anymore. Wormuth told me that "you can do it intentionally but you can also use it as an emergency solution, a controlled clearance. If you are under so much pressure that you can't play a proper pass anymore, you can hoof the ball upfield."

Link to the full article is here.

By the way ... substitute Cyrus for Mertesacker in the example provided and sit back and wait for that image and its consequences to crystallize.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 03:05:10 PM by asylumseeker »

Online soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 13, 2019, 08:04:19 PM »
In the first game against Martinque I noticed he was hoofing the ball upfield in hopes of finding Joseph, who looked like the smallest man on the field. Martinque recovered the ball every time like they game planned for the intentional stray pass, their coached must've trained by Wormuth ;D

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: September 15, 2019, 08:59:16 AM »
Reaper2004, who are these fans.  We know they are local fans. But say what. We have not a clue who they are?

Yuh miss de whole plot.
Ent! The question is, which on is Reaper? :devil:

He might be taking de pic.

Nah, he in de pic. Ah go leave him tuh identify heself.
Ok, since we can’t guess the National team, we could try ‘guess the Reaper’.
As usual as with every knowledge game, Tman is excluded.
1st prize. 2 cold Carib (compliments Reaper & co.)
2 nd prize. Ah case of stag (compliments maxg)

Wait, once somebody win, it cyah have a 2 nd prize, ok, me and the boys will hold on to that case.

My guess : the fella peeping behind “cousin Ryan”  ;D

Reaper disappear as soon as yuh mention prize giving. :)

Everyone in that pic minus those to the left are the Telfer family. Uncles, Aunts, Cousins and a brother(with his wife and 2 daughters in the pic)

And of y'all can't find me or notice something that stands out then I don't know what to say lmaooooo
2nd left of " Cousin Ryan"

aka the fool with his arm in the air

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: September 15, 2019, 01:33:46 PM »
ah case for the boys(& girls) compliments maxg is in order - hoping to be down around November -  since reaper buyin he own 2 cold Carib   ;D

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2019, 05:48:36 PM »
WATCH: Steve David, Alvin Henderson, Larry Joseph, and Hannibal Najjar discuss Trinidad and Tobago's recent performances against Martinique in the Concacaf Nations League

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3vQzSGvunE4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3vQzSGvunE4</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>