March 18, 2024, 11:47:46 PM

Author Topic: Luciano Woodley Passes Away  (Read 18733 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: Luciano Woodley Passes Away
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 07:34:12 PM »
"I Love Lucy"
BY HANNIBAL NAJJAR (Guardian Sports Arena)

I HAVE known Luciano Woodley, alias “Lucy”, from our Form-Two days at St. Mary's College (CIC as we are more affectionately known).

Ever since those early days, I took to liking for Lucy. Some of it, a kind of hidden jealousy, and some, just a pure desire to match the expectations that he had set himself as a footballer.

We played football in the "Small Yard" together every lunch time and would compare each other's efforts or goals. Then, we would carry that silent yet, passionate inner "burnings" into the afternoon classroom sessions until we got "down grounds", where we would continue our quest to better each other feats.

We did this throughout out "Giants" and later, "A Colts" years. This trend continued as we were simultaneously called up to the Championship side at 14 years of age each.

Lucy was the younger, having his birthday in December and I, in October. During both our years as playing for the "A" Colts team, we also played for the Championship team.

We won every national age group championship and we were both always competing for most goals at every turn, except in the 1968 team.

I felt, from very early, that I was a better all-round player, while as we aged, I had to succumb to the reality that he was going to be the better goal scorer.

We were both on the championship winning team of 1968 that overpowered QRC's mighty and highly touted team 2-1, with the likes of Rolf Clarke, Roger Mathews, Neil and Larry Springer, Ian Jeffers, Stephen Gomez, Earl Best and others.

Our fortune continued into the Island-wide championship game against St. Benedict's College, where we gave an awesome display with a 4-2 victory.

St. Benedict's themselves were hot favourites to win with the Hackett brothers, Ruben, and others leading their charges. But our team was a superb unit as far as understanding of duties and roles were concerned, and in Intercol, we are indestructible.

Fr. Reginald DeFour was the major organizational force behind our youth development plan and game-day plans, though our senior players would have his ears.

Our team was one that boasted the likes of Steve Waldron, Russell Tesheira, Miguel Hospedales, Ian Bain, Alvin Henderson, Richard Callender, Richard Brathwaite, Jackie Messiah, Wayne Dopson, Michael Cooper, Alex Hamel-Smith, Rupert Wilson, and others.

The best was yet to come when we, along with the outstanding play and leadership of Alvin Henderson, carried the momentum into 1969 under Michael Liang and then later, in that superb year, 1970, under Alvin Corneal.

We were both 17-year-olds in 1970, and after myself playing for Raffie Knowles and the ultra-talented Queen’s Park squad, with the likes of Gordon Husbands, Roger Matthews, Sheldon Gomes, George Romano, Ken Butcher, and others, I was dispatched to Canada to complete my Grade 13 and first-year university studies.

Lucy continued and played one more year for St. Mary's College. I played three years at the championship level and Lucy, four.

Overall, we played five very memorable years together and shared one class, Form Three.

In our never-to-be-forgotten 1970 year, Lucy established a college record by scoring 36 goals and in the process, six hattricks, at least three of them, natural ones. He was the league's leading scorer and I, the runner-up, with 18.

Lucy's year was so great that he was called up for a North team at the adult level and with his usual carefree ways and bold assurance, he scored in his debut game at the King George V Park.

I loved playing alongside Lucy and today, there are memories of him and I together, that would never ever fade in visual clarity or emotional high.

The last time I played alongside Lucy was in 2003 at our annual old boy's CIC-Belmont clash and, as we did all through our college years, we linked up with his patented decoy run and I, my lay-off to him to, yes, score again.

There is no one that I could remember playing alongside that allowed me to enjoy myself or play as well as I did, and I had very good tandems in Alvin Henderson at St. Mary's College, Sheldon Gomes at QPCC, Godfrey Harris at Maple, Martin Bourne at UWI and Maple, Sammy Lewellyn at Essex, Ron Laforest and Sammy Llewellyn at ASL, or anyone elsewhere else that I have been or played.

There are so many things that I could remember about Lucy and none that I would like to forget. The one thing I would further state is that even back then, Lucy was never haughty, boastful, or arrogant, and he always had that meek, sincere, sheepish smile, and possessed a blending personality.

He was, however, just as miserable as all of us were as children growing up, but he was different in that he held his peace longer than we seemed able to, or so I thought. Today, at 54 years of age, I can say that truly, "I love Lucy" and I appreciate him more than I did back then, MUCH MORE!

Lucy is all that every speaker made him out to be when they delivered their eulogies last Thursday morning before he was laid to rest.

In the busy world that we live in today, it is difficult to make the time for each other as we once did so easily. But after speaking with Lucy's wife, Lauren, from my St. Louis home upon learning of his hospitalization, and then, upon learning of his passing, I dialogued with my friends Trevor Leiba, Ian Bain and Alvin Henderson, brother Labib, my wife and family and it was clear that I had to attend my friend's funeral.

My wife Annette, ne Kumar, of almost 28 years, and confidante of, 37, knew what such a person meant to me and she fully encouraged the visit. Naturally, it is always an excitement to visit home as I miss it dearly and so the trip was essentially on.

I then consulted with the principal of my High School (LWCS) over the weekend and with his consent, I purchased a last-minute ticket that Sunday night for departure on Carnival Monday to be at my friend's farewell and celebration of a life well lived.

I am exceedingly happy to have made it and I rejoice now that I was with Lucy's entire family and host of friends, colleagues and well-wishers at his farewell presided by Fr. Girod. As sentimental as it was to be at the occasion, it was made more meaningful since the service was held at my childhood church in Woodbrook, St. Teresa's - the moment was nostalgic.

Most fitting as well, was that very evening, we had our traditional annual CIC-Belmont post-Carnival 22-year rivalry which was then used to further honor Lucy.

The evening was so fitting that the skies shed some of its tears as we prepared to play the great game. A product of both Belmont and CIC, Lucy would have been proud of that occasion which was very well attended by a host of soccer greats including Everald "Gally" Cummings, Alvin Corneal, Lincoln Phillips, Sedley Joseph, Michael Wiley, Brian Rigsby, to mention a few. David Rudder, a former Belmont boy was also in attendance from what I was told - I missed meeting and chatting with him, a personal friend I consider him to be.

The game was very well participated, and St. Mary's overcame Belmont 3-0. I thoroughly enjoyed every moment of the two thirds that I played. I felt great with the spirit in which everyone conducted themselves, as I was with my performance (I still love my football) despite my week-long illness. I thank God for the privilege of playing yet another game as we honoured my friend, Luciano "Lucy" Woodley.

The occasion was blessed with a pre and post game minutes of silence and later, we were graced with some fine T&T cuisine and fabulous "Old-Time" kaiso music performed by the irresistible, Wayne Dopson, Charla Dore and others.

I submit this brief, but moving, passage in time, with the greatest love and respect for my friend Lucy. I trust that others too, share in this sincere exchange of love for Lucy, for the game, and for what sport and this great game have done for those of us who have played the game of football especially during the eras and periods that we participated - these are times never to be forgotten, and more so, always to be cherished. Friendships are built that will last forever, last beyond the ages; you understand this all to well my friend of the Guardian, Gregory Trujillo.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 07:38:35 PM by E-man »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2008, 04:58:57 AM »
They had a next Alvin Corneal that played football?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2008, 05:16:26 AM »
VB
http://alvinacorneal.com/
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2008, 09:33:23 AM »
Paul Jr .......
Did your father live on Erthig road off Zampty Lane and Archer street in Belmont?

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2008, 10:44:48 AM »
I just returned from Trinidad to attend Luciano’s funeral.  Have you ever heard someone say a funeral was nice?  Well, it was a wonderful service.  I never heard so much laughter at a funeral.  St. Theresa’s Church was packed. 

There were many old CIC footballers there – Alvin Henderson, Hannibal Najjar, Keston Nancoo, Keith Look Loy, Ken and Wally Butcher, Frankie Stone, Neil Williams, Ian “Charla” Dore, Brian Gent, Murchison Pierre, Wayne Dobson, Gary Almondoz, etc.

The funeral also was attended by numerous past footballers such as Lincoln Phillips, Alvin Corneal, Sedley Joseph, “Gally” Cummings, Wayne Lewis, Ron LaForest, Tony “Chucker” Griffith, Tansley Thompson, Bobby Banfield, Winfield St. Hill, Lenny Alphonso, Desmond “Baby” Headley, Brian Rigsby, etc. 

See link – (press control and click)
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161275050

Trevor Leiba

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2008, 10:54:10 AM »
I just returned from Trinidad to attend Luciano’s funeral.  Have you ever heard someone say a funeral was nice?  Well, it was a wonderful service.  I never heard so much laughter at a funeral.  St. Theresa’s Church was packed. 

There were many old CIC footballers there – Alvin Henderson, Hannibal Najjar, Keston Nancoo, Keith Look Loy, Ken and Wally Butcher, Frankie Stone, Neil Williams, Ian “Charla” Dore, Brian Gent, Murchison Pierre, Wayne Dobson, Gary Almondoz, etc.

The funeral also was attended by numerous past footballers such as Lincoln Phillips, Alvin Corneal, Sedley Joseph, “Gally” Cummings, Wayne Lewis, Ron LaForest, Tony “Chucker” Griffith, Tansley Thompson, Bobby Banfield, Winfield St. Hill, Lenny Alphonso, Desmond “Baby” Headley, Brian Rigsby, etc. 

See link – (press control and click)
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article?id=161275050

Trevor Leiba

Thanks for the updates.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2008, 02:39:38 PM »
VB
http://alvinacorneal.com/

I still doh know what that have to do with AC and CIC in 1970.

But nice site.

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Trevor,
            When I did not hear from you, I figured you went to TT. Kendall even called me about Luci's passing. Anyway I will call you.

Offline archie

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
recent death of luciano woodley
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2008, 06:58:26 PM »
I AM TRYING TO CONTACT 'MAXG' FROM MONTREAL -ARCHIE-FROM BELMONT VALLEY ROAD.I AM A PERSONAL FRIEND OF WAYNE CALLENDER AND WAS A CHILDHOOD FRIEND OF LUCIANO 'BARBIE' WOODLEY.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: recent death of luciano woodley
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2008, 07:14:58 PM »
click on the link below to send MaxG a personal message
http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=106
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2008, 09:39:47 PM »
thanks WC..archie check yuh mail.

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2008, 11:09:50 PM »
lawd this one close to home!!! rest in peace brother!!!
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 19, 2010, 11:59:37 PM »
I know this is an old thread (I was notified to consider starting a new one, but I think/hope this is appropriate anyway), which I actually saw months ago, and was I shocked to learn of Woodley’s death. While not a close friend, I competed against Woodley off and on at CIC, but mostly in training, as he (fortunately) was a Juniors runner when I was in Giants. When often ran neck and neck, with Woodley usually edging me out over the last few yards. But we did play soccer together, if I recall correctly, sometimes in CIC “A Colts”, though I never played in the First XI. All of the descriptions of him in this thread fit perfectly with what I remember of the unassuming and humble Luciano Woodley.   

I presume most CIC old boys would have kept old school annuals, as I have, but this particular photo was too good to pass up (just in case):

Woodley is second from the left in the front row, next to Hannibal Najjar, on his right.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 20, 2010, 05:18:30 AM »
The best person to name the players is Trevor. I have played against and with Lucy. He was a class guy. Front in glasses is Mark Kendall. To his left is Dr. Alvin Henderson. I know Hannibal in that picture, but I getting old I can't seem to make him out. Keith Lookloy in the middle row.To the extreme right in the back row is probably Murchison Pierre. And Frankie Stone 2nd from left backrow??? Trevor whey yuh? The rest I can't remember

Offline Ray Agostini

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 20, 2010, 05:41:47 AM »
Okay, well here's one from the 1969 CIC Annual, the 2nd Eleven (the previous one was from the 1970 Annual). No need to guess names from this one:

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 20, 2010, 10:44:24 AM »
As a man from south, I had an opportunity to play against this legend with my college team (70-71??). The man was a scoring machine in the college ranks then.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 20, 2010, 01:25:34 PM »
RIP  Luciao
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2019, 04:01:21 PM »
Here is a quote from Berris back in 2006

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=19010.msg196086#msg196086

"CiC had ah ah goal scoring machine,de man use to score hattrick at will.. Luciano Woodley he wasn't no flashy dribbler but cudda put de ball in de back ah de net."

Fellas, I trying to confirm some info here.
I spoke to Eric White of the Mucurapo team of 1978. He said he broke Woodley's hatrick record by one. But more than 40 years later, he cannot remember the number of hattricks that he did score. He thinks it is six. But I see the Press saying Woodley scored six so using that logic it should be seven.

I pushing it here. But could anybody confirm from that year if he did break the record and by how much?

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2019, 11:31:41 PM »
Here is a quote from Berris back in 2006

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=19010.msg196086#msg196086

"CiC had ah ah goal scoring machine,de man use to score hattrick at will.. Luciano Woodley he wasn't no flashy dribbler but cudda put de ball in de back ah de net."

Fellas, I trying to confirm some info here.
I spoke to Eric White of the Mucurapo team of 1978. He said he broke Woodley's hatrick record by one. But more than 40 years later, he cannot remember the number of hattricks that he did score. He thinks it is six. But I see the Press saying Woodley scored six so using that logic it should be seven.

I pushing it here. But could anybody confirm from that year if he did break the record and by how much?

VB

I think is 71, that Lucy scored all them hat-tricks. He scored most against Belmont, because they replayed those tied inter-col games all the time. Like the CFL used to pray for a tied game when Belmont played Saints. To be honest vb I can't give a precise count. He scored quite a bit. He even scored a hat trick in Sunday morning football for Leeds the same year and  some people and the newspapers were making a thing about it. he playing too much football, he go get injured. For more info on Luciano you will have to speak with Trevor Leiba or Keith Lookloy.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 03:01:09 AM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>