April 27, 2024, 06:37:09 AM

Author Topic: Michel Poon-Angeron Thread  (Read 11274 times)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Michel Poon-Angeron Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2023, 07:30:28 AM »
Rampersad is better defensively and is the type of player that S Hart and A Eve like but M P Angeron is a much better all around player with more of a upside he is a better investment for the future the downside is if they bring back S Hart his chances of going abroad and developing would be over.

? ??? ??? ???
do you really take him seriously?? this man has been making some absurd comments for the little time I’ve been a member, and I’m yet to hear him make sense of any situation. He actually thought that jack warner was good for our football, that zoran vranes was the answer to our prayers and so many more senseless comments to the point where I total fly past his post, the same way fly past abttrini and controversial’s comments.

andre rampersad is a better player than angeron, rampersad is faster, a way better passer and dribbler of the ball, and he showed where he can be dangerous in front of goal. poon is a good, player but he lacks movement off the ball and loses possession quite frequently and needs to learn how to hold on to the ball, and he hardly shows any sign of scoring at the international level. I’ll take keron cummings over him any day.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2023, 12:24:06 PM »
If they bring back S Heart as the coach he will do the same thing he did before go back to playing that outdated English football were they get rid of there technically best players and go back to building a strong man team like he did before so M P Angeron days with the national team is pretty much numbered.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2023, 05:13:36 AM »
If they bring back S Heart as the coach he will do the same thing he did before go back to playing that outdated English football were they get rid of there technically best players and go back to building a strong man team like he did before so M P Angeron days with the national team is pretty much numbered.

What may really number his days is whether he enhances his club affiliation or credentials.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2023, 05:23:58 AM »
Rampersad is better defensively and is the type of player that S Hart and A Eve like but M P Angeron is a much better all around player with more of a upside he is a better investment for the future the downside is if they bring back S Hart his chances of going abroad and developing would be over.

Quantifying upside vis-ŕ-vis immediate needs comes with something ---  it presents a slippery slope.

See my other post. You are advocating NT selection as the building block of a career.

Poon started well in NT colors. Had some good outings when others around him were notably poor, but none of the appearances recommend wild assertions or exaggeration. Nothing also suggests he is done as a NT prospect.

It would have been interesting to see him play alongside Hyland.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:17:02 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2023, 03:31:51 PM »
York United FC could desperately use a player like Poon-Angeron. They need a deep lying midfielder with good ball control. They have no midfield presence and every time I watch them play I can see how M. P-A would fit well here. Why are more of our younger players not in the Canadian Premier League?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 07:50:08 PM by lil damo »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2023, 07:12:37 PM »
Lil damo why should our players go to that league ? Look at our nation team its so weak with these  usl based players. That league does nothing for us ....  :pissedoff:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2023, 07:56:33 PM »
Don’t get me wrong, if our players can get into the bigger and better leagues by all means. But the young ones like him are better off in an emerging league like the CPL than the local league in T&T. The training, facilities, coaching and football is of a higher standard and getting better each year. He and a few others would benefit from the exposure if there is no prospect of them getting into the signature leagues around the world.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2023, 03:09:59 AM »
I understand lil damo's position. @Trini_2026, focusing on league quality is one thing, but one also has to consider the reality in the actual league. In the CPL, one man has been responsible for the presence of at least half of the T&T players in the league. Plus yuh have to abstract that list for those who emerged directly from T&T, rather than through other pathways emerged in Canada. Where in Canada is the compelling case for the T&T player being made otherwise? This is a supply and demand market. Iz one thing to be dismissive of a league, but the reality is that even if I accept your position wholeheartedly (I accept it to significant degree) ... you would concede that we should be at a place where there are T&T players present in the CPL, whether or not they necessarily command the attention of a NT coaching staff. Sadly, we are still at a place in which as soon as someone signs abroad they are rendered a NT candidate and that shouldn't be the case. Let the players focus on career building and let the NT figure out how to build a visionary program.

It also should be pointed out that on CPL squads three (3) players have to be Canadian and 21 or under and half of all international spots have to be U-23. On top of that, look at the profile of the foreign players in the league and the picture painted is that it ent exactly straightforward unless there is a strong coaching preference/discretion for a particular player and immigration requirements can be satisfied (which takes us back to the coaching preference/discretion that led to the Halifax players getting to Canada.

The issue is structural, but where exactly is the compelling case for our players being made?

All of the above stated, check Poon's age. His reality is changing drastically as the paint dries ... lehwe call it "overnight". Anything is possible, but if I am mapping this out on paper and I am a director of football, iz not likely I am riding for MPA as my presumptive choice. All things considered eh ... not just age.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 03:21:52 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2023, 04:56:11 PM »
Asylum this is where we reach  you hurting meh this to hard to accept  :'(.. from arsenal  wanting peltier harry  rednapp wanting  Hyland  and Guerra badly at portsmouth fc when they were in the epl to now  CPL?......... something  is wrong somewhere man. A
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 04:59:20 PM by Trini _2026 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2023, 06:21:15 PM »
Iz ah mess from multiple angles. Keep hope alive doh. There is always a seam.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2023, 06:26:57 PM »
Warrior Profile: Poon-Angeron credits Argentina stint for transformation
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday)

MICHEL POON-ANGERON, 22, might not be the biggest player on the football field, but what he lacks in size he makes up in heart, skill and a calculated reading of the beautiful game.

The versatile midfielder plies his trade with T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) runners-up AC Port of Spain, competing as a box-to-box player or holding midfielder.

At just five foot-nine inches, Poon-Angeron said he is accustomed to the naysayers, but he is supremely confident in his abilities.

"Trust me, I hear about that a lot of times, especially in the position I play – defensive midfield. They looking for somebody with size, somebody to win headers, but I make up for that with tenacity and controlled aggression.

"I not afraid to rough it up; I'm not afraid of a tackle, challenge, putting my body on the line, but it's about reading of the game – where to be and when."

Born in Poon Lane, Morvant, Poon-Angeron said a high physical conditioning is crucial to succeed in his position – especially at the international level. He credits a one-year stint (2019-2020) at Club Atletico Banfield in Argentina's first division for not only transforming his body but his mind as well.

Club Atletico Banfield was then coached by legendary Argentina striker Hernan Crespo, who played for a number of top clubs such as River Plate, Parma, Lazio, Inter Milan, AC Milan and Chelsea.

"I was in their youth ranks – under-19, under-20 and reserve team – but I was forced to come back home because of covid. It hurt, but I was able to make my senior (T&T) debut under (ex-coach Terry) Fenwick. I was able to be in the country and training."

Poon-Angeron, who now resides in Santa Cruz, is proud of this achievement as he had never represented T&T at the youth level before. He hailed Movement Mechanics, owned by Gregory Seale, for the opportunity to go to Argentina, and getting him physically ready for its demands.

What did he learn in South America?

"I learned Spanish, for one. I speak it fluently now. I couldn't speak a lick of Spanish before.

"Argentina opened my eyes to a whole different side of the game. I trained six days a week – sometimes double sessions. That level of intensity, luckily I was prepared for it by my trainer Gregory Seale."

He said the change in his football was exponential.

"Within three months, six months, one year, you could see the change in my game. So much so, I was able to get a call in the senior team without ever making a youth team. Starting and playing whole games and World Cup qualifiers."

He said the football culture in Argentina was different to anything he had experienced.

"Football is like a religion over there. It's not so much like that in the Caribbean or in Trinidad. People live and die for it. People wake up each morning – their week decided by a result."

He recalled the intense competition for a spot in the Club Atletico Banfield senior team.

"It's like an export for them., Some of the players come from really tough backgrounds, travelling for hours each day to come and put in (the effort) for a chance to make it out, because their player pool is huge. I was immersed in this. I wasn't there for a vacation."

On the pitch, Poon-Angeron said his work-rate is high and he is capable of showcasing his skills in varying roles. "It really depends on the system. Say I'm playing the #6 position, I would want to get on the ball, dictate the pace of the game, see the ball between the lines, switch the point of attack. If the diagonal is on, I would go for it.

"My game, I would be breaking up the play (of the opposition). I won't pelt a set of wild tackles, but you're winning back the ball and starting back the attack."

Poon-Angeron was a late substitute for T&T last month in a Concacaf Nations League A match against El Salvador, as coach Angus Eve sought to hold on for a 3-2 victory. It was his tenth appearance for T&T.

What is it like to pull on the national jersey?

"It's an inexplicable feeling. You feel a lot of pride.You feel like you have to earn it. Even though our player pool is small, some windows are there and some windows are not.

"Each time I go out there to represent my country, if anyone knows me – I leave it out there on the pitch."
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>