March 28, 2024, 07:04:46 AM

Author Topic: Michel Poon-Angeron Thread  (Read 11033 times)

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Michel Poon-Angeron Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2020, 10:44:17 PM »

Thanks Flex, great breakdown
Where'd you get this info from?
And these numbers (or ratings), are they rated out of 10 or 20?
I'm trying to work out how he's being rated against his peers.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2020, 11:07:16 PM »
Did i see 30 Euros/week ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2020, 01:15:01 AM »
Did i see 30 Euros/week ?

I will respond as follows in the absence of speaking to the player's specific reality.

Anyone vaguely familiar with contemporary world economics news would attest to the Argentine economy as having experienced significant volatility in the foreign currency and exchange  market. The underground market ("black") for the $/peso exchange has had very vigorous to robust moments,  particularly tied to political winds and  mismanagement of the economy and no doubt internal meddling from outside ... but not exclusively those.

It's an economy with distortions and football has been far from immune to them. 

Typically only the daftest person would have considered a formal exchange rate when the informal market offered a ridiculously favorable premium on-the $.

Some name brand players have been known to refuse to be paid in pesos.

Where am I going with this?

In July 2018 there was a collective bargaining agreement that guaranteed players aged 16 to 18, who were playing in the top five domestic divisions, minimum salaries ranging from 13,200 pesos (bottom league ) to 21,000 pesos (top pro league). At that time the $ to peso exchange rate was about $1:27 pesos. Today on the official market, not even two years later,  it's about 1:62 or 1:63 or thereabout. That would put a dent on anyone's purchasing habits without cost of living adjustments.

Previous bargaining agreements have been valid for three year periods but given the economic absurdities that characterize that economy you can guess what the problem is if the cost of living rises, consumer purchasing power is decreased etc. within that three year  period.

So yearly modifications are what happens now.  In the current year,  even with modifications, minimums can't sustain basic monthly purchases (the minimum salary is below that sustainable to level with the consumer price index).  For players over 18 in 2018 and playing in the top flight,  the minimum was 25,000 pesos (1:27). This year these players were guaranteed 34,500 pesos. There was a corresponding 35% increase for the 16-18s. Do the math (35% of 13,200 to 21,000).

However,  in the context of players that are being housed and fed by teams ... those in the youth categories ... they are like kids in your house: you feed them and shelter them and it counts for value. Why "pay" them?

This market is about betting on the future while learning to play at a very good level. Although the level has suffered a bit it is still second to one.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 07:17:14 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2020, 08:08:21 AM »
So Yes, plus Room and Board ?

Maybe he didn’t need to go St Mary’s.  :devil:
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 08:18:04 AM by maxg »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2020, 09:21:14 AM »
He's over 18. At the clubs once you are 18, typically you have to move out ... but there are other communal arrangements that are put in place depending on the particular situation of each player.  Some players are from the provinces (far) ... so they have to find shared spots. Others might have immediate family with them. Some players get money from sponsorship and not the club.  Ah doh know how Banfield is set up.

120 euros a month is about 9000 pesos. That is way off the chart based on the figures I mentioned.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2020, 09:29:34 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2020, 11:06:22 AM »
The screenshot is from Football Manager's Database - some of the basic research was done by me, so the only attributes that are consistent there are Acceleration and Pace, Vision, Passing and finishing - can't remember which of that lot was done by me vs. the Banfield researcher.

The Banfield researcher will have it updated most likely for the game's next post-transfer window patch, so you may get a more accurate assessment then. I rated him highly for potential, if you wondered - I believed he had enough about him to aspire to Championship level or maybe even Premier League in England. There's a strong change he's good enough for Banfield's first team in the future, and in a year or two he should be in the NT.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2021, 03:35:53 PM »
Is Poon  still with this club?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2021, 04:34:19 PM »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 03, 2021, 11:34:59 PM »
Apparently he is doing well - played a lot of reserve football and been encouraging/impressive

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2021, 09:26:54 AM »

He is.

He went back very recently then?
As he was here up to last month training with the national team pool

Definitely one to monitor for the near future...if we had a proper scouting setup (yes i know funding is the bane of our existence)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2021, 02:11:07 PM »

He is.

He went back very recently then?
As he was here up to last month training with the national team pool

Definitely one to monitor for the near future...if we had a proper scouting setup (yes i know funding is the bane of our existence)

Compared to other nations we have fewer players to monitor. And a player based in Argentina would be among the easiest to receive real-time feedback on. Also at less cost than is thought to be the case. Organization eliminates overhead.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2021, 11:34:57 AM »
this guy is in trinidad still
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2021, 02:19:56 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2021, 04:54:33 PM »
See what the Banfield First Team looks like (more or less). Banfield v Boca. Final of the Copa Maradona. 9:10pm TT.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 09:32:42 PM »
Banfield will meet Velez next Sunday to see who qualifies for the Sudamericana. Not a bad shift by Banfield, despite losing the final.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2021, 03:20:10 PM »
Poon-Angeron excited about W/Cup challenge
T&T Express Reports.

Michel Poon-Angeron is relishing the prospect of a long national team career, having been short-listed in coach Terry Fenwick’s 26-team squad for upcoming World Cup qualifiers against Guyana and Puerto Rico.

Nineteen year-old Poon-Angeron is a former St Mary’s College midfielder who currently plays for the reserve squad of Argentina Premier division Club Atlético Banfield, having initially joined the club’s Under-19s.

Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s team open their qualifying campaign for the Qatar 2022 World Cup against Guyana next Thursday at the Estadio Panamericano in the Dominican Republic capital of Santo Domingo, before playing an away qualifier against Puerto Rico three days later at the Estadio Centroamericano in Mayaguez.

“I believe that with some grit and some fight we could go and pull some results off,” Poon-Angeron speculated about the upcoming assignments.

“I am confident in what we have been putting in as an entire group,” he continued, adding, “We’ve been putting in hard work and working on the game plan that coach Terry (Fenwick) has put out for us.”

A former national youth player, Poon-Angeron had his first experience at senior level when a young, experimental Trinidad and Tobago team fell to a humiliating 7-0 defeat to the USA in a friendly international in January.

Poon-Angeron feels that the USA defeat has inspired many of the young players to try and prove themselves, himself being among them. “I see a lot of intent and a lot of points to be proven among the players,” he noted.

Likewise, the teenager is also hoping to prove himself as a future senior national player. “For me this has always been my dream as a little boy so I feel very privileged. It coming into fruition and I just want to seize the opportunity with both hands and make the country proud...make my family proud.”

Watch: Poon Angeron ready for World Cup qualifying task

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 06:01:41 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2021, 05:02:47 AM »
So whats next for this youngster . the goldcup would have been a nice showcase for him .   Belgium  french 2nd division switzerland  or portugal would be a nice start ..... Or even back in argentina
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:09:07 AM by Trini _2022 »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2021, 05:38:36 AM »
So whats next for this youngster . the goldcup would have been a nice showcase for him .   Belgium  french 2nd division switzerland  or portugal would be a nice start ..... Or even back in argentina
if angus has anything to do with it this young man’s career would be in the doldrums before you know it, not to mention GG the third and all who look like them. these former footballers are the enemies of TT football, didn’t you know? some don’t like indian like greg ranjitsingh and some don’t like french creole like poon angeron and Gary. spend some time in trinidad and tobago and you would get a clearer picture of the nature of that beast call TT.

PS. how many games did frenderup play in the gold cup? imagine an aging failed goal keeper gets more exposure than a younger more capable custodian with far more prospects, now what’s that about?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2021, 05:45:01 AM by pull stones »

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2021, 11:01:05 PM »
Yall must stop talk stupidness Poon got an injury in training while in Florida thats the only reason he dint make the 23 man squad

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2021, 08:25:22 AM »
Yall must stop talk stupidness Poon got an injury in training while in Florida thats the only reason he dint make the 23 man squad

Was there an announcement or media release?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 23, 2021, 01:08:27 PM »
so who's fault is that? if angus believed in transparency then he would have been decent enough to make an announcement on the player's position and we wouldn't have to guess. and i'll tell you this, the only reason i am against angus as coach is because of what i've seen in the past with local coaches. there's way too much favoritism and terrible decision making on their part especially with player selection, for instance look at the cadre of good players lawrence ignored, frenderup, greg ranjitsingh, hackshaw, jelani peters, noah powder, reon moore, poon angeron, duane muckette and marcus joseph to name few. so you will have to forgive me if i come over as foolish, i'm just fed up of the terrible decision making by these so called local coaches.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2021, 02:08:40 PM »
so who's fault is that? if angus believed in transparency then he would have been decent enough to make an announcement on the player's position and we wouldn't have to guess. and i'll tell you this, the only reason i am against angus as coach is because of what i've seen in the past with local coaches. there's way too much favoritism and terrible decision making on their part especially with player selection, for instance look at the cadre of good players lawrence ignored, frenderup, greg ranjitsingh, hackshaw, jelani peters, noah powder, reon moore, poon angeron, duane muckette and marcus joseph to name few. so you will have to forgive me if i come over as foolish, i'm just fed up of the terrible decision making by these so called local coaches.

To be fair, he was transparent about many things during the GC and its lead-up. The issue regarding transparency is an institutional problem that is greater than an interim coach. You know the roll call as well as I do.

You know who was more interested in covering and hiding and blocking access and limiting possibilities etc. than in opening processes and in attaining consensus beyond a closed circle.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2022, 12:33:49 PM »
Is he close to finding a club now ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2022, 01:02:30 PM »

I eh know if he close, but he is still unattached.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2022, 01:18:44 AM »

I eh know if he close, but he is still unattached.

;D

A bird in hand is better than two in de bush. As de saying goes ...
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 01:21:17 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2023, 06:56:43 PM »
Tell me why Poon did not get picked 
« Last Edit: June 28, 2023, 06:59:40 PM by Trini _2026 »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 28, 2023, 09:43:51 PM »
Tell me why Poon did not get picked
because rampersad is much better than him. poon in my opinion is a hot mess, he loses the ball way too easy and brings very little in attack. i think if angus started hodge and auvrey, and our keeper didn't panic so badly, then we could have taken at least a point from the game.

i am of the opinion that we could beat this usa team.... but if we get it right and play our best game.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 15, 2023, 04:31:37 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/pQ1-FkmUF6s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/pQ1-FkmUF6s</a>
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 04:33:09 PM by Trini _2026 »

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 15, 2023, 08:58:48 PM »
Rampersad is better defensively and is the type of player that S Hart and A Eve like but M P Angeron is a much better all around player with more of a upside he is a better investment for the future the downside is if they bring back S Hart his chances of going abroad and developing would be over.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2023, 06:21:50 AM »
Rampersad is better defensively and is the type of player that S Hart and A Eve like but M P Angeron is a much better all around player with more of a upside he is a better investment for the future the downside is if they bring back S Hart his chances of going abroad and developing would be over.

? ??? ??? ???

1]; } ?>