April 19, 2024, 12:28:57 PM

Author Topic: Briana Williams  (Read 3076 times)

Online Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Briana Williams
« on: August 27, 2019, 10:37:42 PM »
Read she tested positive!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Briana Williams
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 12:07:32 AM »
Briana Williams tested positive
T&T Guardian Reports.

The Glean­er can now re­port that dou­ble World Un­der-20 sprint cham­pi­on and na­tion­al ju­nior record hold­er Bri­ana Williams has test­ed pos­i­tive for the banned di­uret­ic Hy­drochloroth­iazide (HCTZ).

With the Ja­maica Ath­let­ics Ad­min­is­tra­tive As­so­ci­a­tion (JAAA) set to name its team for the World Cham­pi­onships on Sep­tem­ber 6, Williams' at­tor­ney, Dr Emir Crowne, told The Glean­er on Tues­day that he will be seek­ing an ex­pe­dit­ed hear­ing and will be con­test­ing that the 17 year-old had no fault in the cir­cum­stances and there­fore, should not face any sanc­tions.

"Our pri­ma­ry po­si­tion will be that Ms Williams bears no fault in the cir­cum­stances and there should be no sanc­tions levied against her. That will be our pri­ma­ry po­si­tion," Crowne said. "It will be an up­hill bat­tle, but this is one of the tru­ly gen­uine times, when there was noth­ing more that the ath­lete could do in the cir­cum­stances."

"Fail­ing a find­ing of no fault what­so­ev­er, then we will re­ly on a find­ing of no sig­nif­i­cant fault be­cause again it’s a con­t­a­m­i­nat­ed prod­uct and un­der the WA­DA Code and JAD­CO code, the min­i­mum sanc­tion is a rep­ri­mand, so we will be ask­ing, in light of the cir­cum­stances (that she re­ceives a rep­ri­mand)."

Williams’ B sam­ple has re­port­ed­ly con­firmed the pres­ence of the sub­stance, which was first de­tect­ed from tests car­ried out at the Na­tion­al Se­nior Cham­pi­onships be­tween June 20 – 23. How­ev­er, Crowne said he is yet to re­ceive con­fir­ma­tion of this.

"We want to be very clear that we were not the ones, who re­vealed that it was in fact Bri­ana Williams and we are a bit con­cerned that the in­for­ma­tion has come to light be­tween her A sam­ple and re­quest­ing her B sam­ple be­ing test­ed. We re­main very con­cerned how her name came to light," said Crowne.

"Quite frankly, we have not re­ceived any no­tice of the re­sults of her B sam­ple yet. I emailed JAD­CO to fol­low up and we have no of­fi­cial com­mu­ni­ca­tion from JAD­CO what­so­ev­er about that," he added.

The ath­lete's 'A' sam­ple was orig­i­nal­ly test­ed at the World An­ti-Dop­ing Agency (WA­DA) ac­cred­it­ed lab in Mon­tre­al, Cana­da.

Di­uret­ics are of­ten abused by ath­letes to ex­crete wa­ter for rapid weight loss and to mask the pres­ence of oth­er banned sub­stances.

On Ju­ly 25, Williams and her team were ad­vised of an ad­verse an­a­lyt­i­cal find­ing in her 'A' sam­ple from the Na­tion­al Se­nior Cham­pi­onships, where she placed third in the 100m in 10.94 sec­onds to se­cure a spot on the coun­try's team to the World Cham­pi­onships in Do­ha, Qatar.

It is, how­ev­er, un­der­stood from a well-placed source, which re­quest­ed anonymi­ty, that Williams’ team has point­ed to a con­t­a­m­i­nat­ed cold and flu med­ica­tion, which im­por­tant­ly, she had de­clared on her test­ing pro­to­col form, as the source of the banned sub­stance.

The med­ica­tion, which does not list HCTZ as an ac­tive in­gre­di­ent, was sub­se­quent­ly sent by Williams' team to be test­ed in­de­pen­dent­ly by NSF In­ter­na­tion­al Labs in Michi­gan, USA, which con­firmed that the med­ica­tion used by the ath­lete was con­t­a­m­i­nat­ed with traces of the banned di­uret­ic.

JAD­CO is be­lieved to have re­ceived all re­sults and in­for­ma­tion from the NSF In­ter­na­tion­al tests.

In 2013 mul­ti­ple Olympic and World Cham­pi­onships gold medal win­ner Veron­i­ca Camp­bell-Brown was pro­vi­sion­al­ly sus­pend­ed by the Ja­maica Ath­let­ics Ad­min­is­tra­tive As­so­ci­a­tion (JAAA), af­ter al­so test­ing pos­i­tive for HCTZ and was lat­er giv­en a pub­lic warn­ing. The rul­ing was chal­lenged by the IAAF at the Court of Ar­bi­tra­tion for Sport (CAS). How­ev­er, the court de­cid­ed to clear Camp­bell-Brown of all dop­ing charges.

Two years lat­er, CAS up­held a two-year ban hand­ed down by the Ja­maica In­de­pen­dent An­ti-Dop­ing Dis­ci­pli­nary Pan­el, on throw­er Trav­es Smik­le for the pres­ence of the same sub­stance.

It is un­der­stood by sources fa­mil­iar with the sit­u­a­tion that there may be mit­i­gat­ing cir­cum­stances in Williams’ case, giv­en the fact that, at 17 years-old, she is still a mi­nor and has nev­er com­pet­ed in­ter­na­tion­al­ly as a se­nior ath­lete. (SOURCE: Ja­maica Glean­er)

What is Hy­drochloroth­iazide

Hy­drochloroth­iazide (HCTZ or HCT) be­longs to the class of di­uret­ic agents that rep­re­sent one of to­day's cor­ner­stones of the treat­ment of hy­per­ten­sive pa­tients, al­so used to treat swelling due to flu­id build up.

For high blood pres­sure it is some­times con­sid­ered as a first-line treat­ment.

HCTZ is tak­en by mouth and may be com­bined with oth­er blood pres­sure med­ica­tions as a sin­gle pill to in­crease ef­fec­tive­ness.

In ad­di­tion to its clin­i­cal rel­e­vance, HCTZ is pro­hib­it­ed in sports ac­cord­ing to the reg­u­la­tions of the World An­ti-Dop­ing Agency (WA­DA) at all times and has fre­quent­ly been de­tect­ed in sports drug test­ing urine sam­ples world­wide since its ban was in­tro­duced in 1988.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 12:09:40 AM »
Ato pleads Briana’s innocence
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

Top Jamaican youth sprinter fails drug test

FORMER TT sprinter Ato Boldon said he is ready for a hearing, expressing confidence that contaminated tablets led his Jamaican sprinter Briana Williams to test positive for diuretic Hydrochlorothiazide (HCTZ).

Talking to Newsday, Boldon, who has coached Williams for a number of years, said, “The comments made by her attorney are what we are going with right now. We are pretty secure in our case. We have tested the medication her mother gave her and it was positive for diuretic, so it was a case of contaminated tablets. That is all we are saying right now. We have independent labs verifying that, so we are ready for our hearing.”

According to the Jamaica Gleaner, Williams’ attorney Dr Emir Crowne, told The Gleaner yesterday he will be seeking an expedited hearing and will be contesting that the 17-year-old had no fault in the circumstances and therefore, should not face any sanctions.

“Our primary position will be that Ms Williams bears no fault in the circumstances and there should be no sanctions levied against her. That will be our primary position,” Crowne said. “It will be an uphill battle, but this is one of the truly genuine times, when there was nothing more that the athlete could do in the circumstances.

“Failing a finding of no fault whatsoever, then we will rely on a finding of no significant fault because again it’s a contaminated product and under the WADA Code and JADCO code, the minimum sanction is a reprimand, so we will be asking, in light of the circumstances (that she receives a reprimand).”

Williams’ B sample has reportedly confirmed the presence of the substance, which was first detected from tests carried out at the Jamaica National Senior Championships from June 20-23. However, Crowne said he is yet to receive confirmation of this.

“We want to be very clear that we were not the ones, who revealed that it was in fact Briana Williams and we are a bit concerned that the information has come to light between her A sample and requesting her B sample being tested. We remain very concerned how her name came to light,” said Crowne.

“Quite frankly, we have not received any notice of the results of her B sample yet. I emailed JADCO to follow up and we have no official communication from JADCO whatsoever about that,” he added.

The athlete’s ‘A’ sample was originally tested at the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) accredited lab in Montreal, Canada.

Diuretics are often abused by athletes to excrete water for rapid weight loss and to mask the presence of other banned substances.

On July 25, Williams and her team were advised of an adverse analytical finding in her ‘A’ sample from the National Senior Championships, where she placed third in the 100m in 10.94 seconds to secure a spot on the country’s team to the World Championships in Doha, Qatar.

It is, however, understood from a well-placed source, which requested anonymity, that Williams’ team has pointed to a contaminated cold and flu medication, which importantly, she had declared on her testing protocol form, as the source of the banned substance.

The medication, which does not list HCTZ as an active ingredient, was subsequently sent by Williams’ team to be tested independently by NSF International Labs in Michigan, USA, which confirmed that the medication used by the athlete was contaminated with traces of the banned diuretic.

JADCO is believed to have received all results and information from the NSF International tests.

It is understood by sources familiar with the situation that there may be mitigating circumstances in Williams’ case, given the fact that, at 17 years-old, she is still a minor and has never competed internationally as a senior athlete.'

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 04:53:53 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2022, 09:25:46 AM »
The mob wants what it wants. You'd swear Briana fell off - fact is she's improved every year at 100m - just not as MUCH as they'd like.
BORN TO DO IT

1]; } ?>