March 28, 2024, 09:30:41 AM

Author Topic: 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo Thread.  (Read 3251 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo Thread.
« on: October 14, 2019, 03:32:35 PM »
BOLDON OFFERS SPRINT RELAY TEAMS HIS HELP IN OUR MEDALS QUEST FOR TOKYO 2020🇯🇵
SporTT

Four-time Trinidad and To­ba­go Olympic medal­list now sports broadcaster Ato Boldon said he believes T&T can improve significantly in the 4x100 meter women’s relays for the upcoming Olympic Games in Tokyo next year and is offering to help.

During an interview with Andre Baptiste on the ISports programme on I95.5 FM on Saturday, he pointed out that he had experience working with the coaching team in 2015 when the women won bronze in Beijing.

Boldon said they remain the tenth-ranked team in the world and offered his US-based fa­cil­i­ty and time to help prepare the team for next year.

“As I have said before and will say now, there are two athletes (Kelly-Ann Baptiste and Semoy Hackett) and three if we include Khalifa St. Fort, who all live in the same state, all the NAAA has to do is arrange for Michelle to fly over from her base and bring across the athletes from Trinidad and To­ba­go and we can use my fa­cil­i­ty here in Florida, it can be done,” Boldon said.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 01:16:15 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline E-man

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: 2020 Olympic Games in Tokyo Thread.
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:16:47 AM »
Athletes completing bans get unexpected chance at Olympics
By KEN MAGUIRE

BRUSSELS, Belgium (AP) — Athletes completing doping bans over the next year will be eligible to compete in the postponed Tokyo Olympics, an unintended effect of the coronavirus pandemic that has some crying foul.

Turkish runner Gamze Bulut, for example, will now have plenty of time to qualify for a games she likely would have missed had they gone ahead as scheduled.

“It doesn’t seem like a fair punishment,” Irish race walker Brendan Boyce told The Associated Press in a phone interview. “They haven’t really missed the events they were supposed to miss.”

The 2020 Olympics were officially postponed last month for one year, with the opening ceremony now set for July 23, 2021.

Bulut originally won silver in the 1,500 meters at the 2012 London Olympics but was stripped of her medal because of irregularities in her biological passport, which monitors an athlete’s blood profile. She was given a four-year ban that began in 2016 and expires on May 29 — giving her an unexpected full year to qualify for Tokyo.

“I’m trying my best to (attend) the Olympics,” the 27-year-old runner said. “I hope I can join.”

The Athletics Integrity Unit estimates that about 40 of the 200 or so banned track and field athletes who stand to gain from the Olympic postponement are international-level competitors. The AIU maintains a global list of track athletes banned for doping violations.

More than 11,000 athletes are expected to compete in 33 sports in Tokyo, with about 2,000 of them in track and field.

Boyce, a two-time Olympian who has qualified for Tokyo, said restrictions on the number of competitors could make it harder for clean athletes to earn places.

“I wouldn’t be too happy now if I lost an Olympic spot because of an anomaly like what’s going on at the minute,” Boyce said.

The Irishman protested on social media but stopped short of filing any formal complaints. British long-distance runner and Tokyo hopeful Lily Partridge agreed.

“I don’t believe in second chances with regards to serious doping offenses unless you provide serious assistance to anti-doping authorities and even then I don’t believe you should have the privilege of being able to compete and earn money from the sport,” Partridge told the AP.

However, World Anti-Doping Agency President Witold Banka said the unforeseen health crisis doesn’t mean authorities can “cherry-pick” when athletes have completed their bans.

“While an athlete cannot choose when he or she would like to be ineligible, an (anti-doping organization) cannot either,” Banka said. “This is entirely consistent with principles of natural justice and other areas of the law as it relates to sports or even criminal activity. When an offender has done the time, the sentence is considered to be served.”

Sebastian Coe, the Olympic great who is now president of World Athletics, was less definitive in comments shortly after the games were postponed.

“This is something we will need to look at,” Coe said. “I know it’s something the Athletics Integrity Unit, and I’m sure all the other agencies out there in concert with our sports, will need to think about, and that will just be another issue in an overflowing inbox at the moment.”

Athletes who have already qualified for Tokyo have been assured that they’ll keep their spots as future qualification decisions unfold.

Among notable athletes due to come off doping bans are Polish weightlifter Tomasz Zielinski and Irish boxer Michael O’Reilly. Neither returned messages seeking comment.

Boyce, the race walker, said it would be difficult for an Irish athlete to compete after a doping ban.

“Having a doping ban in Ireland is much more than serving time away from your sport,” he said. “It’s really crippling for your life because you’re basically seen as a criminal. It’s a form of fraud. In other countries, you see some athletes who are on doping bans just training normally and they’re just waiting to come back and nobody in that country seems to be too bothered.”

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2021, 02:23:51 PM »
Aye, what happening? Oh Gorm, post something insignificant, nah. Let we keep the thread alive. Ato !!!!! Whey You?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 05:21:06 AM »
Alright, Deeks ... there was a good chat with Ato, Brian Lewis and Andre on 95 a few days ago. It was sort of personally interesting to me because that very day I had messaged an acquaintance in Japan and given the time difference the response was incoming just as Ato and Brian were speaking about the Olympics. My Japanese acquaintance is not down with the Olympics happening (purely from a public health perspective). There is a crisis of confidence in the authorities.

It is unfortunate because here is a country that hosted a Confederations Cup, a WC and other mega sporting events, has an aging population and applicable infrastructure. The problem however may lie in how decisions are made and some cultural norms that are involved in negotiating across bureaucracies. Japan is a fairly bureaucratic place in which public expressions on issues do not necessarily match private sentiment. There is a process for public expressions to become aligned with private sentiment. While that is happening, COVID isn't on pause. Right now the J-league is resisting going back to closed door football.

In a sense the stereotypical expectation is that Japan being an advanced nation would have been at the forefront of treating with the virus ... especially in preparation for an event they've been planning for for years ... However, Japanese political institutions have been fractured for a minute and it appears that treating with the virus has exploited the ruptures and exposed where its hardwiring is vulnerable. Ato made a point about Japan never being at the bottom of any indicators, yet it is at the base of let's say G-20 nations in dealing with the virus.

Culturally, it will be real hard for the Japanese establishment to eat begging out of the Olympics and in terms of the internal politics.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/podcast/tokyo-olympics-coronavirus-explainer/

Offline A.B.

• Hero Warrior
  • Everything I'm NOT made me everything I AM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 10:37:35 AM »
It's too late to turn around now. They are happening. I expect them to be very weird but they are happening.

Japan dropped the ball on the vaccination rollout, and it may be politically fatal for those in power to have not vaccinated and then allowed the Olympics to occur as well.
BORN TO DO IT

Offline Socapro

• Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2021, 04:20:50 PM »
Tokyo Olympics: People in Japan oppose games going ahead - but only an 'Armageddon' will stop it
Sixty-three per cent of the public are against holding the Olympics, according to the Nikkei newspaper.

By Tom Cheshire, Asia correspondent @chesh, Tuesday 1 June 2021, UK

The only thing which will stop the Tokyo Olympics going ahead, according to the International Olympic Committee, is "Armageddon" - a bar that the pandemic, as terrible as it has been, does not currently meet.

That has many in Japan upset.

Sixty-three per cent of the public are opposed to holding the Olympics, according to the Nikkei newspaper.

Nearly 3,000 new COVID-19 cases were recorded on 30 May and although the number has been trending downwards since the middle of May, the public is questioning whether 90,000 athletes, officials, journalists and other workers arriving in the country is the wisest idea.

That may seem strange in the UK, which is preparing to host a chunk of the Euro 2020 football tournament. But the Japanese public has three reasons to hesitate.

First, Japan has controlled COVID a lot better than most. There have only been around 13,000 deaths over the whole pandemic - and it wants to keep things that way.

Second, the arrival of new, more transmissible variants, which Japan has largely avoided.

And third, Japan has proceeded very cautiously with vaccine approvals. As a result, only 12 million doses have been administered for a country with a population of 126.3 million.

Those are all justified concerns but don't satisfy the IOC's Armageddon criteria. And with less than two months before the games start, they are unlikely to be cancelled. Another postponement has already been ruled out.

Japan is taking some measures. Foreign spectators have already been banned from coming. And capacity in stadiums will be reduced, as it has for baseball and football matches.

The Yomiuri Shimbun newspaper reported that Japanese spectators would have to provide proof of vaccination (which will be pretty hard to come by the way things are going) or a negative COVID-19 test. There were also reports that anyone watching in person would be barred from shouting or giving high-fives.

If the spectators are there to provide atmosphere, a disgruntled public forbidden from cheering doesn't promise much of that. And there could still be a ban on anyone attending at all.

To avoid that, the Japanese government needs to reassure the public a lot more effectively than it has so far.

Source: https://news.sky.com/story/tokyo-olympics-people-in-japan-oppose-games-going-ahead-but-only-an-armageddon-will-stop-it-12321892
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 04:22:21 PM by Socapro »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

1]; } ?>