March 28, 2024, 11:54:56 AM

Author Topic: Ian Clauzel interview  (Read 4953 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Ian Clauzel interview
« on: October 26, 2019, 11:46:55 AM »
Fellas,

Ian Clauzel has agreed to do an interview with me.

I think the former Dread Dribbler of Mucurapo has a story to tell and I am looking forward to the interview.

I will be honest and tell you that I was a youngster in the late 70s and never saw him play. But even people who did not follow football in those days knew the name Clauzel.

If you have any memories of him or questions for him please say. I will do my best to put forward your questions.

Peace,
VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Clauzel interview
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2019, 03:19:00 PM »
Great, looking forward to this.

I know there has been some interviews from local Newspapers in the past. I know you'll be sure to review them.

I would like to hear a little about his playing with Eric White

Thanks
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2019, 06:10:04 PM »
Actually, only a little info on the net.

I think someone did a full page back in the late 90s but unfortunately it's not on the net.

Interesting interview though. I had no idea that he played in the Concacaf youth tournament for TT and that the Strike Squad asked him to train.

Should be available in a week.

VB

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 07:46:10 PM »
Actually, only a little info on the net.

I think someone did a full page back in the late 90s but unfortunately it's not on the net.

Interesting interview though. I had no idea that he played in the Concacaf youth tournament for TT and that the Strike Squad asked him to train.

Should be available in a week.

VB
Anxiously looking forward! Much thanks.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2019, 05:44:31 PM »
Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!

Great job Vb. Excellent interview and write-up.

I was one who couldn't get into the Oval that day.

Not suprized about  Cornell Glen; Ataullah Guerra, Joevin Jones and Kevin Molino.

Like produces like

Thanks much

T&T needs this archiving

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2019, 05:59:17 PM »
Lovely, Lovely, Lovely!

Great job Vb. Excellent interview and write-up.

I was one who couldn't get into the Oval that day.

Not suprized about  Cornell Glen; Ataullah Guerra, Joevin Jones and Kevin Molino.

Like produces like

Thanks much

T&T needs this archiving

I was saying this to Earl Carter. We do not have a proper Hall of Fame or Archives system in TT. If it wasn't for this site and EMan we would not even have the TT Football History site.

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2019, 06:06:15 PM »
vb, this was superb. Like I said to you before, I missed out on this guy and the rest that followed. I left TT in Jan 77. I used to hearabout them from word of mouth or read a  old Guardian or  Express whenever I get one. Too bad they did not create an impact on the senior level. That is TT football. Lot's of talented guys were left frustrated after the highs of intercol football. Reality bites.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Thank you, vb!

He quickly dispels the rumour that the Cosmos gave him a trial. “… it was a newspaper gimmick.” However, he did make an appearance on Sesame Street – the popular children’s TV program. “They came to the school and asked me if I was a professional footballer. I told them no.” They asked him to …”juggle a ball and people were counting in Spanish from one to ten. I did it in the school hall. I saw it on television.”

This alone makes up for you getting scooped on Angus Eve. :devil:

Ah wonder if we could locate that on YouTube?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2019, 06:37:51 PM »
Thank you, vb!

He quickly dispels the rumour that the Cosmos gave him a trial. “… it was a newspaper gimmick.” However, he did make an appearance on Sesame Street – the popular children’s TV program. “They came to the school and asked me if I was a professional footballer. I told them no.” They asked him to …”juggle a ball and people were counting in Spanish from one to ten. I did it in the school hall. I saw it on television.”

Scooped? Moi?

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2019, 03:41:28 PM »
Thank you, vb!

Believe me, the moment he told me that, I ran to Youtube and began searching. I could not find it. I wouldn't be surprsied that back in the 80s I may have seen it and not even realized that It was IC I was watching.

Maybe TM can help us out. ;-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 02:48:36 PM »
Clazuel was not selected for training with the NYT. The TTFA had to force the coaches to accept him. TT then lost more matches than they won at the Concacaf Champs and IC was voted most talented player in the tournament.

Has any TT player ever won such an award at Sr. or Jr. level?

I know we have a few who have made the Concacaf All Stars Team but most outstanding player?

VB

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 03:03:52 PM »
Surely there's got to be someone who saw Clauzel on Sesame Street.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 03:33:34 PM »
Surely there's got to be someone who saw Clauzel on Sesame Street.

Maybe a lot of folks did but just did not it was IC. I could have been one of them.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2019, 12:05:57 AM »
Clazuel was not selected for training with the NYT. The TTFA had to force the coaches to accept him. TT then lost more matches than they won at the Concacaf Champs and IC was voted most talented player in the tournament.

Has any TT player ever won such an award at Sr. or Jr. level?

I know we have a few who have made the Concacaf All Stars Team but most outstanding player?

VB

“Has any TT player ever won such an award at Sr. or Jr. level”.

Yep. Deleon won it at the 1969 Concacaf tournament in Costa Rica. Gally Cummings won it in 1973 tournament in Haiti.
Deleon winning the MVP was an interesting one. It was a totally chaotic tournament for TT. VB, you should interview Gally, Deleon, Bert Grell, Leo Brewster, Buggy Haynes, and others on that team about the bakanal that took place in the TT camp. I think TT won one game at the expense of JA. We came 2nd to last in this tourney, and Deleon won the MVP. Just imagine that. It is rear that the MVP of a competition come from a 2nd to last placed team, unless that player scored the most goals in the tournament. I don’t think Dilly scored the most goal. So he had to really impress them Central Americans for him to get that award.

Gally won it on a superb and great performance in Haiti. Unlike 1969 where there was no video, the 1973 tourney in Haiti was filmed. TTT showed two or 3 games. Gally’s leadership and a bullet goal against Mexico, sealed the deal for him. Steve David got the most goals award.

Also Sammy Llewelyn had tied for the most goals at the 1974 CAC games. He is a next guy you should interview.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:57:29 AM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2019, 02:27:39 AM »
So many interviews. So little time.  ;D

Thanks Deeks.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2019, 12:05:39 PM »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »
WATCH: Ian "The Dread Dribbler" Clauzel shares his story

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/qdo6A9b5wl4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/qdo6A9b5wl4</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2020, 10:06:29 AM »
Ah reach to just shy of the 30 minute mark of the interview, but ah had to stop. The brazen and arrogant injustice that was done to Clauzel made me pause. "We" basically screwed with the man's life and possibilities and no one sufficiently challenged the injustice of his exclusion from the NT. As a general proposition, 40 years later we are not much better at harnessing our greatest resource (people, not gas) and are masters of treating talented persons and potentially infinite contributors as expendable. Shooting ourself in the foot and willing to shoot anyone else who won't participate in the atrocity. The colonial project continues without the last Governor.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 10:09:53 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2020, 10:57:12 AM »
Solid stuff. Good questions and recognition by Steve. Fluent, thoughtful and honest responses from Clauzel. Sound feedback from Narada. Lots of nuggets to think about. One of the best segments.

I've noticed that Narada is quality when it comes to translating what is being communicated.

That walking on the field thing before a match is golden. 

:applause:

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2020, 11:34:04 AM »
I fully enjoyed this interview by the panel .... Nicely done Steve David .......  Let me just say  I remember clearly what  former tranquil and former national youth coach  Roderick Warner  said about  clauzel . Clauzel was unjustly treated because at the time  of him Being a rasta / dread ..... Many football fans were mystified by clauzel non inclusion on the national youth team  during clauzel time   What a shame ! Thanks to people like Roderick warner ....

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2020, 12:13:15 PM »
Ah reach to just shy of the 30 minute mark of the interview, but ah had to stop. The brazen and arrogant injustice that was done to Clauzel made me pause. "We" basically screwed with the man's life and possibilities and no one sufficiently challenged the injustice of his exclusion from the NT. As a general proposition, 40 years later we are not much better at harnessing our greatest resource (people, not gas) and are masters of treating talented persons and potentially infinite contributors as expendable. Shooting ourself in the foot and willing to shoot anyone else who won't participate in the atrocity. The colonial project continues without the last Governor.

Ironic that this coincides with the passing of the Diego Maradona. It hurts that we have our share of world class great potential; but have to constantly settle for admiring and praising up others.

Sometimes I sit back and I'm mesmerized at the abundance of creativity and talent T&T have as expressed so specially in our Arts. And much of it seems undervalued.

Seeker, I know you also saw what could have been done with that mind (intellect) academically as well. It was there for those with insight to identify. The potential was not only between his feet but between his ears and his spirit--humble.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 12:19:15 PM by Cocorite »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2020, 12:18:02 PM »
Solid stuff. Good questions and recognition by Steve. Fluent, thoughtful and honest responses from Clauzel. Sound feedback from Narada. Lots of nuggets to think about. One of the best segments.

I've noticed that Narada is quality when it comes to translating what is being communicated.

That walking on the field thing before a match is golden. 

:applause:

Kudos to Steve & Narada. I just love this simple idea by Steve and dem to simply provide a forum to archive some of T&T's football.

Not only Narada's Analysis, Synthesis & Thesis but the grace with which they handled Clauzel's interview held its own beauty.

Next Interview should be: Eric White,  Emmerson Dubisson, and Ian Clauzel

About the walking on the field thing . . .Ato said he used to do the same thing before a race. He would picture how the whole race would unfold before he ran it
« Last Edit: November 27, 2020, 01:05:42 PM by Cocorite »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2020, 01:18:12 PM »

Ironic that this coincides with the passing of the Diego Maradona. It hurts that we have our share of world class great potential; but have to constantly settle for admiring and praising up others.

Sometimes I sit back and I'm mesmerized at the abundance of creativity and talent T&T have as expressed so specially in our Arts. And much of it seems undervalued.

Seeker, I know you also saw what could have been done with that mind (intellect) academically as well. It was there for those with insight to identify. The potential was not only between his feet but between his ears and his spirit--humble.

All of the above. Basically, the TTFA should add Clauzel to the list of people owed.

For the moment, I'm speechless on the subject of Maradona, but for sure Clauzel is one of the points on the triangle in my mind and Maradona is another.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2020, 06:10:37 PM »
Nice interview. However,  I think he was wrong or naive about certain procedures in his young development life. And it seem to have stuck with him to this day. Maybe a trip outside would have taken those blinders off, as it does for many athletes who are able to widen their view and appreciate a different perspective.
As Mr David tried to intimate, not because you good ( great even) ppl will come running to you. Cause in the wide world outside, there may be others who are greater.
One cannot just sit on their Laurels, especially in a team sport. You have to be able to work with ppl and in some cases meet them halfway. I don’t think it was dreads, I think may have been a combination of being slightly introverted, listening to inaccurate or poor advice and poor decision making.

I could be wrong, really sorry he didn’t get the opportunity doh. From all reports “ he coulda be a contender”.

I saw Leo Brewster long before him, deal with Rasta issues and still got on the team.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 27, 2020, 07:40:03 PM »
Poignant.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2020, 03:13:39 AM »
Nice interview. However,  I think he was wrong or naive about certain procedures in his young development life. And it seem to have stuck with him to this day. Maybe a trip outside would have taken those blinders off, as it does for many athletes who are able to widen their view and appreciate a different perspective.
As Mr David tried to intimate, not because you good ( great even) ppl will come running to you. Cause in the wide world outside, there may be others who are greater.
One cannot just sit on their Laurels, especially in a team sport. You have to be able to work with ppl and in some cases meet them halfway. I don’t think it was dreads, I think may have been a combination of being slightly introverted, listening to inaccurate or poor advice and poor decision making.

I could be wrong, really sorry he didn’t get the opportunity doh. From all reports “ he coulda be a contender”.

I saw Leo Brewster long before him, deal with Rasta issues and still got on the team.

That's not on the table for speculation or debate.

It may seem speculative based on Steve (not having seen him/hearing about him belatedly/not being on the ground at the time) and Narada (not yet on the scene) and the way in which Clauzel has framed in 2020 his late 70s/1980 understanding of himself ... but, even Roderick Warner aside, there is a chronicling of discrimination regarding Clauzel, even if he himself is not intimately aware of the construction of that discrimination. In that regard, the person(s) to be queried is/are not Clauzel himself but those who are still alive and would honestly state on the record the mechanism of Clauzel's marginalization.

Also, separately, while I understand your point about his introvertedness, humility and withdrawal not working for him, be reminded that it's important not to cast aside the societal context of the 60s and 70s in understanding how a conscious young mind would understand his responsibility to self in 1978.

Frankly, on many levels, Clauzel is to be saluted for who he became and what he didn't become.

It's difficult to place a social valuation on pride although I accept that it comes with a cost. However, in a meritocracy, it shouldn't in any way punish "the excellent" even if it ravages "the average". On merit, he need not have begged anyone.

Last thing: while Mucurapo worked to establish itself and get upstairs and establish respect, the legacy of Clauzel includes transforming the self-confidence of subsequent Colleges players who faced not just Compre but also other similar institutions. What Mucurapo did was a game changer for other Comprehensive schools across the country.

Clauzel's legacy and his losses are beyond the boundaries of a football field.

Almost forgot this --- a schoolboy with locks presented entirely different terms of engagement than an adult with locks and how society negotiated those interactions and expectations.

What Clauzel lacked was advocates and patrons who could help him negotiate the goings.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 03:52:39 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2020, 06:54:06 AM »

I am kind of baffled with Leo and Rasta issues. I can't recall Leo being a Rasta at his time in school. He had a big Afro in the 70s. He made the national team straight out of Technical. He was on the infamous team that went to the Concacaf tournament in Honduras. Upon their return to TT
some of the players were penalised for indiscipline. He did not get ban as far as I know. After a lull, he was back on the TT team when Chelsea and Southampton came to TT in 72.

Actually, there is strong parallel is some ways with Leo and Clauzel. Physically, they were about the same. But Leo had speed. And with that speed he had excellent first touch and a football brain. But unlike Clauzel, Leo was a chip of the block. His father, Leo senior played for TT. So he had a leg up right there. Then he had the discipline to focus on football. At that time there were not so many distractions as with the later generation. Leo earned his spot on the national team.

Clauzel was from Gonzalez, Belmont area. Gonzalez was not a bad area then as it maybe now. The Rasta life was now taking root in east POS. He was growing up in that life style. I played up in Gonzalez around 75/76. A nice community small goal competition. I can't remember seeing him play. His brothers played. I am sure the rasta issue would have been a knock against him. The coaching community at that time wanted a certain amount of conformity. Rasta don't conform to Babylon wishes. So he did not have a chance. But later on when Rastafarianism had become normal, Brian Williams did not have that problem. He did not intimidate the heads in the football fraternity. As a matter of fact they liked his discipline and the way he carried himself. So that is my piece.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 06:55:23 AM by Deeks »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2020, 09:33:47 AM »
As some Rastas say” Rasta don't conform to Babylon wishes. “ So Rasta must take himsel out of Babylon.
Many actually preach and do this.
Then there is the Rasta who compromise as he realizes or prefers to live in a society, so he adapts ...many examples, bob marley. He could have said ‘me nah go down inna no studio’ .
And there is the Rasta who for him, he likes the style or the herb, but not a full follower at all.

I know there was a hair issue with Brewster, thought was Rasta at some point. Could be wrong.

My point being, living in a society , sometimes you must slightly adjust  even if the society is not fully in line with your beliefs. International football is a construct of FIFA and others, heights of Babylon. Babylon begone, no regret.

But if you want to reach the highest heights, so can partake without converting. We were TT, we interacted with others without becoming them.

If he had gone foreign to play against the best, how would he have dealt with the racism of being black at the time. Even the greats had to deal with it, but they didn’t let it hold them back. They couldn’t just take a trim of their skin or even say a word(at the time) of defence.. no they stayed, they persisted. Open the gates for many, even doh these haters still exist. Many leaders that fought thru. I feel Mr Clauzel was not prepared or allowed to be , you have to go break down beliefs and show your worth and your world, if it’s what you truly want, even today it applies.
Just an opinion. Not necessarily the final word. I’m open to other opinions.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2020, 12:30:41 PM by maxg »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2020, 01:45:18 AM »

That's not on the table for speculation or debate.

It may seem speculative based on Steve (not having seen him/hearing about him belatedly/not being on the ground at the time) and Narada (not yet on the scene) and the way in which Clauzel has framed in 2020 his late 70s/1980 understanding of himself ... but, even Roderick Warner aside, there is a chronicling of discrimination regarding Clauzel, even if he himself is not intimately aware of the construction of that discrimination. In that regard, the person(s) to be queried is/are not Clauzel himself but those who are still alive and would honestly state on the record the mechanism of Clauzel's marginalization.

Also, separately, while I understand your point about his introvertedness, humility and withdrawal not working for him, be reminded that it's important not to cast aside the societal context of the 60s and 70s in understanding how a conscious young mind would understand his responsibility to self in 1978.

Frankly, on many levels, Clauzel is to be saluted for who he became and what he didn't become.

It's difficult to place a social valuation on pride although I accept that it comes with a cost. However, in a meritocracy, it shouldn't in any way punish "the excellent" even if it ravages "the average". On merit, he need not have begged anyone.

Last thing: while Mucurapo worked to establish itself and get upstairs and establish respect, the legacy of Clauzel includes transforming the self-confidence of subsequent Colleges players who faced not just Compre but also other similar institutions. What Mucurapo did was a game changer for other Comprehensive schools across the country.

Clauzel's legacy and his losses are beyond the boundaries of a football field.

Almost forgot this --- a schoolboy with locks presented entirely different terms of engagement than an adult with locks and how society negotiated those interactions and expectations.

What Clauzel lacked was advocates and patrons who could help him negotiate the goings.

8) :chilling:  I missed this. Luck and choices. Even today, you can be a best baller, but you carry yourself a certain way - not necessarily a negative way , just different - a coach might take one look at you, and decide you are a good player with your team, but would you fit with his team. Judge or Misjudge. We all do it sometimes, especially when there is a short time to evaluate. Not an easy thing. I know players here who were skipped over from the Prov. team, because they were Rasta, the coach was worried they would cause issues with drugs when we were travelling abroad. I myself only found out when he confessed to me over a few beers. He was the only other Trini on the team, and was the best of the midfielders, a better player than I. I pointed out to the coach, that was foolish, "99" was dread, but not stupid. The rest is another story..
Here's another Story doh..
In a old timers game, my left wing, start to cuss my right wing, we up 4-0, I start to cuss both of them, off my jersey and walk off the field. The club manager disappointed in me, I'm supposed to be experienced. As i head to the car, a voice call out, "maxg, Hi, how are you doing".
I turn, it's the new COO (axeman) from my office job, the company hire him to cut the fat and do some lay-offs. He just happen to be living across the road from the field. Of course my bamcee start winking onetime, mostly shock, that someone from teh office see me in Negative Trini mode.
He then said, "man, how can you deal with those fking guys, I woulda have left long time ago ? I watched for the last hour."..I said, " I shouldn't of let them get to me, they're always like that". "God must have put you here to make me realize that my reaction was wrong. Now even my bud, the manger upset "
I suddenly realized I wasn't worried about losing my job, as much as I was concerned about losing my friends. I said "excuse me, let me go back and try to fix this". I apologized to the team, and suspended myself for a couple games. I looked around Axeman was gone. I then told them the story(his), and the 2 guys felt bad, sorry for me losing me job, and I let them know that I am only upset for why I did.
The following week, Axeman cut 2 of my Snrs, and recommended me for promotion. When I did see him, and asked him how come. He said the fact that I turned around and went back, even though I was upset, impressed him.

Luck and Choices.

Even doh them fellas would swear, I just come back  for the beers. Still turn out to be win-win.
 Sometimes the Luck present the choices, and sometimes the Choices make the Luck. Maybe it was the beers.
 I still think Clauzel may have made wrong choices, not involving or dependent on his faith.
Does that make sense ? or just rum talk .  :D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 01:58:20 AM by maxg »

1]; } ?>