March 28, 2024, 08:08:06 AM

Author Topic: CFU Girls U-14 Challenge Series Thread  (Read 3698 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
CFU Girls U-14 Challenge Series Thread
« on: October 27, 2019, 08:40:07 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago U-14 Girls trounce Grenada 10-0 in CFU Challenge Series opener
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Under 14 Girls players team made a dream start to their international careers with a convincing 10-0 shut out of Grenada in the second game of a double header in the Caribbean Football union Under 14 Girls Challenge Series at the Ato Boldon Stadium on Friday.

The win left T&T top of the four-team table after Cuba blanked Suriname 7-0 in the first match.

T&T were led by substitute Breana Smith who struck five times to spur the hosts on after they led 3-0 at the half-time interval of the 70-minute affair.

A double by Carissa Cowan set the pace for T&T in the first half as she found the target in the 14th and 35th minutes. US-based forward Nikita Jackson had earlier opened the scoring on 18 minutes. Talia Martin increased the lead in the 41st but it was Smith who came off the bench to punish the Grenadians with goals in the 37′,48′, 56′, 62′, 68’ minutes.

After the match, T&T head coach Marlon Charles noted there was still a lot of work to be done by his team.

“This is a new group and what we are trying to do is focus on technique and decision making. You would hear me calling on the players a lot of times to put down the ball and play and make decisions. You could see them trying to do it which is important,” Charles told TTFA Media.

“Simple as it is, there is a lot of work to be done but we see them playing to the training where they are trying to play good football which is what we are trying to develop in them. With regards to Breana, we know what she’s capable of. She can hit the balls and score goals. The focus is all about technique and decision making,” he added.

Charles spoke on the positive effect the team’s residential camp at the Home of Football hotel in Couva has been having on the players.

“For me its the best thing that could happen for Trinidad and Tobago football… to have a home where players can go and really feel part of something and become a top class player or have an opportunity to spend time when they train without having to think about anything but football. The girls are really enjoying it and having fun because they are feeling it’s part of them and it’s theirs,” Charles said.

T&T face Suriname at 7:00pm on Sunday and Cuba takes on Grenada from 5:00pm at the Couva venue.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zi2ZwDk_eeQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zi2ZwDk_eeQ</a>
« Last Edit: October 27, 2019, 09:22:15 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CFU Girls U-14 Challenge Series Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2019, 11:59:20 AM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago Girls U-14's 3-0 win over Suriname.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/t9fwFzBfHT0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/t9fwFzBfHT0</a>

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2019, 07:39:50 PM »
Who are the teams in the tourney, M. Charles gives good assessment and some targets, fitness and athletic conditioning and form should be key though, some of those girls still look awkward and uncoordinated on their feet when running, that's something we never fix with our girls locally, wish dem girls well though
I pity the fool....

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 12:31:58 AM »
T&T, Cuba meet for U-14 Girls’ crown.
By Nigel Simon & Ryan Bachoo (Guardian).

Trinidad and To­ba­go and Cu­ba will meet for the Caribbean Foot­ball Union Girls’ Un­der-14 Chal­lenge Se­ries ti­tle at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um, Cou­va, from 7 pm this evening af­ter both teams won for a sec­ond time in as many match­es at the same venue on Sun­day.

Cu­ba, com­ing off a 7-0 tri­umph over Suri­name on Fri­day, record­ed a sim­i­lar 7-0 thump­ing of Grena­da in Sun­day’s open­er, led by two goals each from Ainady Mon­tal­vo Batista (11th, 23rd) and Dalia Ledes­ma Baez (13th, 26th), while cap­tain Yeseal Castil­lo Napotes (39th), Sheila Ve­ga Her­nan­dez (54th) and Aman­da Ros­a­bal Ros­ales (62nd) added one each.

T&T, who ham­mered Gren­da 10-0 in their open­er, al­so dom­i­nat­ed their sec­ond match and came away 3-0 vic­tors over Suri­name.

Strik­er Bre­ana Smith, who scored five goals in the open­ing win as a sub­sti­tute, opened scor­ing in the 21st minute when she eas­i­ly fired past goal­keep­er Mea­ga Bol­man on a break­away af­ter Suri­name de­fend­er Tamar Soes­man failed to deal with a long clear­ance from the T&T half of the field.

Talia Mar­tin dou­bled T&T’s ad­van­tage in the 46th minute when she slot­ted home from close range fol­low­ing a flight­ed free-kick in­to the 18-yard box by Twin­kle Thomas be­fore Gamie Wal­dron com­plet­ed the scor­ing in the 49th minute by blast­ing in a penal­ty-kick off the un­der­side of the cross-bar af­ter Mar­tin was tripped in the area by Soes­man.

With the Cubans en­joy­ing a bet­ter goal-dif­fer­ence of plus-14 to T&T’s plus-13, the Mar­lon Charles-coached lo­cals will need a vic­to­ry to top the ta­ble.

In the open­er from 5 pm to­day, Grena­da and Suri­name will try for their first points of the com­pe­ti­tion.

Charles, how­ev­er, has praised the way the young ladies have been able to adapt in this tour­na­ment.

“Suri­name played a very com­pact and tight game so they closed the space up. Our play­ers need­ed now to try to learn how to break down these teams, so it’s all in the ex­pe­ri­ence and the process be­cause some teams will play open, some teams will play closed, how do I deal with that and as I said this is where the de­ci­sion mak­ing comes,” Charles said af­ter Sun­day’s sec­ond win.

“I think they adapt­ed very well. It took a while for them to un­der­stand be­cause we are not telling them, they need to do that for them­selves be­cause this is how you learn.”

With two wins out of two match­es, Charles is see­ing the progress he wants for the team.

“Our ob­jec­tives are be­ing met. As I said, the fo­cus for us is tech­nique and de­ci­sion mak­ing and to watch these play­ers try to play in the way we want to play, in our style, and dif­fer­ent prin­ci­ples of at­tack and de­fence. Every play­er is try­ing to do their job, not just as an in­di­vid­ual but as a group and as a team, so I’m re­al­ly hap­py that these girls are re­al­ly try­ing to do the things that we want them to do.”

Charles says he is ex­pect­ing an ex­cit­ing match against Cu­ba be­cause of the sim­i­lar style of both teams.

“They are a tech­ni­cal team too just the same like us try­ing to put down the ball and play so it will be very in­ter­est­ing. I think it will be a very good game for this Un­der-14 lev­el,” he said.

Sun­day scores:

CU­BA 7 (Ainady Mon­tal­vo Batista 11’, 23’, Dalia Ledes­ma Baez 13’, 26’, Yeseal Castil­lo Napotes 39’, Sheila Ve­ga Her­nan­dez 54’, Aman­da Ros­a­bal Ros­ales 62’) v GRENA­DA 0

T&T 3 (Bre­ana Smith 21’, Talia Mar­tin 46’, Gamie Wal­dron 49’ pen) v SURI­NAME 0

Cur­rent stand­ings

Teams   P   W   D   L   F   A   Pts
Cu­ba   2   2   0   0   14   0   6
T&T   2   2   0   0   13   0   6
Suri­name   2   0   0   2   0   10   0
Grena­da   2   0   0   2   0   17   0

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2019, 06:15:31 AM »
Who are the teams in the tourney, M. Charles gives good assessment and some targets, fitness and athletic conditioning and form should be key though, some of those girls still look awkward and uncoordinated on their feet when running, that's something we never fix with our girls locally, wish dem girls well though

It's not a local problem. Girls are girls all over the world. They throw like girls because they are girls and they run like girls because they are ... well, girls.

But that's not my primary concern. I think the most glaring concern is that it's 2019 and that this is the pinnacle technical representation of players born in 2005.

Something is seriously not right.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:25:05 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2019, 06:50:38 AM »

It's not a local problem. Girls are girls all over the world. They throw like girls because they are girls and they run like girls because they are ... well, girls.

But that's not my primary concern. I think the most glaring concern is that it's 2019 and that this is the pinnacle technical representation of players born in 2005.

Something is seriously not right.
nah don't think it's a local problem my issue is we never aim to fix, we have fielded senior teams in the past where our players were "running like girls" my personal view is dat we have too many athletics coaches in trinidad, to not even attempt to fix it.....we even tend to stigmatize athleticism as "unwomanly", people looking on at the women's world cup was commenting disparagingly about women performing at a level similar to men..."dem American woman does run like man yuh know". So it doh surprise me one bit dat we place no emphasis on shaping our women ballers into actual athletes.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2019, 06:54:51 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2019, 12:11:38 PM »
WATCH: Highlights of Trinidad and Tobago Girls U-14's 2-1 loss to Cuba. #TRIvCUB #CFUU14GirlsChallengeSeries

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ASUCuljyjgw" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ASUCuljyjgw</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2019, 12:29:14 PM »
As if I see different forwards (lineup even) start this game, than the top goalscorers. I must be mistaken.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2019, 12:34:45 PM »
Still can't win nothing under this admin
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2019, 03:01:52 PM »
Still can't win nothing under this admin
they were at least competitive to an extent against an actual challenger dat Grenada team was all kinda awful....dem girls need work on dey coordination and ball work, dey close control was hampering dem, dey coulda get ah result on their day so cyah be to disappointed :applause:
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
We gifted them the equalizer.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
We gifted them the equalizer.

Cuba also fluffed a few.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 01:47:26 AM »
Cuba edges T&T girls for U-14 crown.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T’s Un­der-14 girls' team let a 1-0 lead slip and was even­tu­al­ly beat­en 2-1 by Cu­ba in the win­ner take all Caribbean Foot­ball Union Chal­lenge Se­ries fi­nal round match at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um, Cou­va, on Tues­day night.

With the win, Cu­ba end­ed with a max­i­mum of nine points from three match­es af­ter record­ing vic­to­ries over Suri­name and Grena­da by sim­i­lar 7-0 mar­gins while T&T end­ed sec­ond with six points. The host na­tion whipped Grena­da 10-0 and blanked Suri­name 3-0 in their first two match­es.

T&T start­ed the bet­ter of both teams in Tues­day's fi­nal round-match and took the lead in the eighth minute through Caris­sa Cow­an, who ear­li­er hit the left post from an acute an­gle off a pass from a throw-in by team-mate Twin­kle Thomas in the fourth minute.

Cu­ba then cre­at­ed a few ner­vous mo­ments for the T&T de­fence from long balls in­to the 18-yard box and it was from one of the set plays by left-foot­ed Cinthia Aguil­era, the lo­cals failed to clear and the ball fell straight at the feet of Dalia Baez who ri­fled home a right-foot­er through a crowd of play­ers and past goal­keep­er Mikaela Year­wood to even the score at 1-1 four min­utes be­fore the half-time in­ter­val. Each match was a du­ra­tion of 70 min­utes (35 x 35).

Sev­en min­utes in­to the sec­ond-half, Keila Her­nan­dez put Cu­ba ahead for good, when her left-foot­ed ef­fort from some way out­side the 18-yard box, man­aged to elude Year­wood.

Bre­ana Smith then came close to get­ting T&T back on lev­el terms but her free-kick through a four-play­er Cuban wall was brave­ly kept out by goal­keep­er Shaila Her­nan­dez low to her right while fel­low T&T for­ward, Talia Mar­tin al­so cre­at­ed a few ner­vous mo­ments for the Span­ish-speak­ing is­landers as T&T bom­bard­ed their op­po­si­tion goal, time af­ter time with the hope of get­ting the go-ahead strike, but with­out luck.

T&T's cause was fur­ther helped with Cu­ba de­fend­er Lianet Fran­co was showed a sec­ond yel­low card for a foul on re­quired out­come Faith Alexan­der.

Smith then had a long-range des­tined for the top right-hand cor­ner of the goal plucked out of the air by Her­nan­dez in the dy­ing min­utes as her team held on with the ten play­ers to se­cure the win.

In the night's open­er, Suri­name avoid­ed the wood­en spoon with a 3-1 de­feat of Grena­da in the clash of win­less teams.

Tues­day's Re­sults

Suri­name 3 (Roy­anie Kar­jasemi­ta 16th, Micha­jah Emanuels 34th, Shani­ka Ker­toid­jo­jo 63rd) v Grena­da 1 (Tea­sis Jones 48th)

Cu­ba 2 (Dalia Baez 31, Keila Her­nan­dez 42) vs T&T 1 (Caris­sa Cow­an 8th)

Fi­nal Stand­ings

Teams*P*W*D*L*F*A*Pts
1. Cu­ba*3*3*0*0*16*1*9
2. T&T*3*2*0*1*14*2*6
3. Suri­name*3*1*0*2*3*11*3
4. Grena­da*3*0*0*3*1*20*0

Trinidad and To­ba­go Team - 1. Mikaela Year­wood (GK), 18. Sadiel An­toine (GK), 2. J’eleisha Alexan­der, 3. Faith Alexan­der, 4. Jeni­ceia Ben­jamin (cap­tain), 5. An­gel Berot, 6. Arie Bha­gan, 7. Talia Mar­tin, 8. Twin­kle Thomas, 9. Bre­ana Smith, 10. Orielle Mar­tin, 11. Mi­akay­la St Clair, 12. Gamie Wal­dron, 13. Caris­sa Cow­an, 14. Niki­ta Jack­son, 15. Jew­el Ben­jamin-Ed­mond-King, 16. Akia Mor­ris, 17. Rashee­da Archer.

« Last Edit: October 31, 2019, 04:27:05 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2019, 01:39:44 AM »
U-14 girls savour CFU Challenge experience.
T&T Guardian Reports.

T&T's Un­der-14 girls team will re­sume train­ing fol­low­ing the their par­tic­i­pa­tion at the Caribbean Foot­ball Union (CFU) U-14 Girls Chal­lenge Se­ries which end­ed on Tues­day night at the Ato Boldon Sta­di­um in Bal­main, Cou­va.

The T&T girls won two match­es con­vinc­ing­ly against Grena­da and Suri­name, be­fore los­ing to Cu­ba 2-1 on the fi­nal match­day to fin­ish run­ners up in Group 5 be­hind Cu­ba.

Coach Mar­lon Charles said prepa­ra­tions will con­tin­ue lat­er this month for the CON­CA­CAF U-15 Girls Cham­pi­onship next year.

“Over­all it was a good ex­er­cise for us and I was par­tic­u­lar­ly pleased with the way the girls took on the chal­lenge of play­ing their first set of games in front of the pub­lic. When you see a set of young play­ers giv­ing every­thing for their coun­try on the field of play it leaves you with a sense of sat­is­fac­tion and en­cour­age­ment of what there is to look for­ward to,” Charles said.

“These girls have shown me the hunger and de­sire to do well for the coun­try, to get back up no mat­ter what the score in the game is, as they showed in the sec­ond half against Cu­ba. I can­not fault them for the ef­fort they gave af­ter go­ing be­hind 2-1. There is a lot of work to be done still but it’s a process and the good thing for us is that we are see­ing good signs and a will­ing­ness to work and im­prove. This augers well for us. The de­vel­op­ment part is the main thing at this stage and we are see­ing some form of progress,” Charles added.

Pro­lif­ic scor­er Bre­ana Smith scored six goals in her first two match­es, and yes­ter­day said she was de­light­ed with the op­por­tu­ni­ty to rep­re­sent her coun­try.

“It was an un­be­liev­able ex­pe­ri­ence. It was a dream come true for me to come on the field and score five goals in my first game. I would like to thank my coach Mar­lon Charles and Keron Hinds be­cause I was al­ways one of those play­ers in the back of the squad and they start­ed to push me and things start­ed to get eas­i­er for me. They helped give me that be­lief that I could go out and do some­thing."

She not­ed, “We have a style of play that in­volved a lot of ball pos­ses­sion and I think that was im­por­tant for us to un­der­stand.”

“It was an amaz­ing ex­pe­ri­ence be­ing able to wear the colours of T&T and even greater to score for the team. I had been to Trinidad be­fore but I didn’t know what to ex­pect this time be­cause it was my first time play­ing with the team in a tour­na­ment. But I came in and it was just a great pe­ri­od."

“I just love play­ing for T&T. I want to con­tin­ue play­ing and be­ing part of this amaz­ing ex­pe­ri­ence with every­one. I know there’s more work for us to do as a team but I’m look­ing for­ward to every bit of it,” Jack­son said.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 03:32:56 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2021, 05:54:30 PM »
TTFA blanks CFU U-14 tourneys because of COVID
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

T&T will not be fielding teams at the Under-14 Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Boys and Girls Tournaments in the Dominican Republic later this week due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

T&T was set to be among 13 other nations to contest the tournaments which are being used for development. The tournaments catered for boys and girls born on or after January 1, 2006 and 2007, respectively. They (the competitions) were postponed from last year (2020).

The teams are expected to arrive in the Dominican Republic over the course of Thursday and Friday for the start of competition on August 22, with both finals set for August 29.

However, acting General Secretary of the football association Amiel Mohammed said they declined the invitation to send teams due to all the uncertainty surrounding the T&T border re-opening at the time they had to confirm attendance.

He (Mohammed) confirmed, however, that the invitation was heavily considered.

According to Mohammed: "The fact that we have had no teams in that bracket training or being generally active with SOE, having very little time to prepare, the threat of variants and exposing young athletes to the rigours of having to navigate competitive sport in these pandemic environments, it was decided that it wouldn't be best for the players."

T&T was among teams such as regional rivals Jamaica, Aruba, Haiti, St Martin (FR.) Bonaire, Turks and Caicos Islands, Curacao, Puerto Rico, United States Virgin Islands, Dominican Republic, St. Kitts and Nevis, Grenada and St. Lucia to compete.

A release yesterday stated that the competitions are designed to aid development within the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) and are open to participation of the thirty-one (31) Member Associations within the CFU body.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2021, 12:38:01 PM »
This man just mashing us up in two years..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 12:40:48 PM by Trini _2022 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2021, 06:46:41 AM »
Unified Coaches' interim president Jefferson George slams TTFA's move.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

THE DECISION taken by the TT Football Association (TTFA) normalisation committee to deny the national Under-14 team a chance to compete in the Caribbean Football Union’s (CFU) Under-14 tournament will put a further stranglehold on the nation’s youth development.

So says Jefferson George, interim president of the Unified Coaches of T&T, who believes the normalisation committee’s “pandemic excuse”, has prevented the youngsters from capitalising on a rare opportunity to return to competition.

A statement issued by George on Friday rued this missed opportunity and took to task the committee’s decision-making process.

“The Association observed with concern a recent newspaper report, which announced that the TTFA declined an invitation to participate in a CFU Under-14 football competition.

“The report further quoted the TTFA’s general secretary Amiel Mohammed as saying that the covid19 pandemic and uncertainty surrounding the re-opening of T&T’s border was to blame for the decision,” the statement read.

The tournament is scheduled to kick off in Dominican Republic on Sunday and runs for the next eight days.

George expressed “deep disappointment” with the normalisation committee’s decision and questioned their plan for the future of T&T football, particularly at the youth level.

“The first obvious question therefore is how long will the pandemic be an excuse for postponing our youth development?

“The challenges of today are not unique to T&T but are being experienced in varying degrees by all nations whose players will be participating in this tournament, and any youth tournament worldwide,” George wrote.

He said since the pandemic hit in mid-March last year, T&T continues to miss out on these opportunities to better our standard of play because of a lack of planning and preparation by those tasked to do so.

What further adds to this travesty, he said, is that these youths are already starved of local and community competition.

“This current crop of players (Under-14) has played none, and through the negligence of the normalisation committee has missed out on an excellent opportunity to do so,” he added.

George said that some countries’ pandemic experience had and continue to be much worse than T&T’s.

“But proper planning and the awareness of the importance of such tournaments to a player's development have seen them prioritise their participation. Why couldn't we do the same?” he questioned.

For the past 18 months, no youth football teams have been allowed to travel to competition owing to the pandemic and T&T’s previously closed borders, which reopened on July 17.

He also queried the normalisation committee’s plans to restart football in general and more specifically youth football, which he says is a necessary tool in the development cycle of our young players.

George however, commended the CFU on an “excellent initiative” of hosting the tournament. He believes tournaments such as these are necessary to improve football regionally.

“One just has look as far as Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop and a few our footballing legends who succeeded at international level to see the number of regional and international games they would have played by age 15.

“The UFCTT is therefore encouraging the TTFA led by the normalisation committee to prioritise youth development and take advantage of every opportunity to expose our players to international matches,” he concluded.

RELATED NEWS

UFCTT: How long will normalisation comm use pandemic as excuse for postponing youth development?
Wired868.com.

“[…] The challenges of today are not unique to Trinidad and Tobago but [are] being experienced in varying degrees by all nations whose players will be participating in this tournament, and any youth tournament worldwide.

“Some country’s pandemic experience has been much worse than our current situation. But proper planning and the awareness of the importance of such tournaments to a player’s development has seen them prioritise their participation.

“Why couldn’t we do the same?”

The following press statement from Unified Football Coaches of Trinidad and Tobago (UFCTT) interim president Jefferson George was issued in response to the failure of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA)—run by a Robert Hadad-led Fifa-appointed normalisation committee—to accept an invitation to participate in the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) Boys and Girls Under-15 Challenge Series from 22-29 August in the Dominican Republic:

The Unified Football Coaches of Trinidad and Tobago would like to express deep disappointment, in the development opportunity denied to the under-14 footballers of our country.

The association observed with concern a recent newspaper report, which announced that the Trinidad Tobago Football Association (TTFA) declined an invitation to participate in a CFU Under-14 football competition. The report further quoted the TTFA’s acting general secretary Amiel Mohammed as saying that the Covid-19 pandemic and uncertainty surrounding the re-opening of Trinidad and Tobago’s border was to blame for the decision.

Eighteen months marks not only the length of time that the normalisation committee has been at the helm of Trinidad and Tobago’s football, but also covers the period that the nation has been in the grips of this pandemic.

The first obvious question therefore is how long will the pandemic be an excuse for postponing our youth development?

The challenges of today are not unique to T&T but is being experienced in varying degrees by all nations whose players will be participating in this tournament, and any youth tournament worldwide.

Some country’s pandemic experience has been much worse than our current situation. But proper planning and the awareness of the importance of such tournaments to a player’s development has seen them prioritise their participation. Why couldn’t we do the same?

Secondly, with the knowledge that the TTFA has no control of the borders or the pandemic, what is the plan to restart football in general and more specifically youth football—a necessary tool in the development cycle of our young players?

The UFCTT would like to commend the Caribbean Football Union on the excellent initiative of hosting the tournament. We believe it is exactly what is needed to improve football regionally.

Unfortunately, T&T continues to miss out on these opportunities to better our standard of play because of a lack of planning and preparation by those tasked to do so.

One just has to look as far as Russell Latapy, Dwight Yorke, Shaka Hislop and a few of our footballing legends who succeeded at international level to see the number of regional and international games they would have played by age 15.

This current crop of players has played none, and through the negligence of the normalisation committee has missed out on an excellent opportunity to do so. What further adds to this travesty is that these youth are already starved of local and community competition.

‘There are four things that come not back’ [and] neglected opportunities is one that will impact this generation of T&T footballers.

The UFCTT is therefore encouraging the TTFA, led by the normalisation committee, to prioritise youth development and take advantage of every opportunity to expose our players to international matches.

Editor’s Note: The participating nations in the CFU Under-15 Challenge Series are Jamaica, St Kitts and Nevis, St Lucia, US Virgin Islands, Turks and Caicos Islands, Puerto Rico, Curaçao, Haiti, Aruba, Grenada and hosts Dominican Republic.

Haiti, like Trinidad and Tobago, are under a normalisation committee while their country is in a heightened state of turmoil due to the recent assassination of president Jovenel Moise, a fatal earthquake, Tropical Storm Grace, and Covid-19. They sent both a boys and girls team to the CFU tournament.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 01:54:17 PM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2021, 06:55:40 AM »
Eagerly awaiting the roll call of participating nations.

1]; } ?>