March 28, 2024, 04:05:08 AM

Author Topic: 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread  (Read 8822 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread
« on: December 11, 2019, 08:04:47 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago to face either Barbados or Guyana in 2021 Gold Cup playoff
TTFA Media

Trinidad and Tobago’s Senior Men’s Team will face the winner of Barbados/Guyana first round tie in their final CONCACAF Gold Cup 2021 qualifying playoff in June, 2020.

This was determined at the draw for the playoffs held by CONCACAF on Wednesday.

T&T found themselves in this final hurdle having finished bottom of the three-team table in CONCACAF Nations League A qualifying earlier this year behind Honduras and Martinique who automatically booked their places in Gold Cup 2021.

The upcoming 2021 CONCACAF Gold Cup Qualifiers will determine the final four teams to qualify for the 2021 Gold Cup.

T&T are one of the four third-placed teams from the 2019–20 CONCACAF Nations League A which will enter the second round along with Bermuda, Haiti and Cuba.  The group Winners of Nations League B and C made up the schedule for the first round of the Gold Cup qualifiers.

At the draw, Barbados and Guyana were pitted against each other with the winner to meet T&T in a home and away playoff. The winner  of that playoff in June will advance to Gold Cup 2021.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 08:16:50 PM »
Let it be Barbados.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2019, 08:19:59 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2019, 08:34:12 PM »
Let it be Barbados.

Why?

The caveat I should express is it depends on who is coaching us. :) But generally, I like the idea of facing Latas. It has an element of intrigue.

Other than that, my sense is that it would be better for us if Barbados disposes of Guyana. More known commodities that way.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 08:36:10 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2019, 01:51:34 AM »
Let it be Barbados.

Why?

The caveat I should express is it depends on who is coaching us. :) But generally, I like the idea of facing Latas. It has an element of intrigue.

Other than that, my sense is that it would be better for us if Barbados disposes of Guyana. More known commodities that way.

In my opinion, never wish for a team to beat another team for you. You may just get what you want. Barbados, Guyana .... bring it on.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2019, 03:24:59 AM »
Let it be Barbados.

If Hart is back or someone of his caliber or better then we are going, doesnt matter who it is tbh

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2019, 04:03:36 AM »
I'd prefer Barbados of the two, but ultimately whoever wins of those two will be the tougher competitor.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2019, 04:11:09 AM »
Let it be Barbados.

Why?

In my opinion, never wish for a team to beat another team for you. You may just get what you want. Barbados, Guyana .... bring it on.

I appreciate that from a karmic perspective, but inherent in what I'm staying is that I would prefer to see the Magician take Barbados as far as he can. We've had this sort of showdown before when Shabazz coached Guyana and given the legacy of that victory, I would rather them not be emboldened by history. Do not underestimate the impetus provided by having slayed a dragon. The next time you face a dragon recall of the first exploit influences your perception of the viability of the task.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 05:18:18 AM »
Let it be Barbados.

If Hart is back or someone of his caliber or better then we are going, doesnt matter who it is tbh

Whoever it is better not be blessing us with a bunch of platitudes along the lines of "there are no surprises in football" and "there are no weak teams in football anymore" because frankly those platitudes are (1) not needed nor helpful and (2) are blatantly bullshit. Respect your opponent yes, but don't sell me uncertainty and lack of conviction. Just as Mexico expects to spank Guatemala and Belize and manifests that in their psychology, I expect to rinse SVG, Grenada, Dominican Republic and Cuba and prepare ourselves accordingly. Consequently, don't attempt to seduce me with Barbados.

One of the reasons for the parity that has been approximated during the entirety of this decade (bar the Caribbean Cup win) has been the failure to treat completely the opponents' weaknesses and to not get bogged down in physical battles featuring two teams that both struggle to maintain possession.

Yesterday I was reviewing quite accidentally the post-match press conference of the recent match at home versus Honduras. Their coach on a couple occasions stated we expected X, we expected Y, but the translator didn't state what the coach actually said frankly ... but conflated his comments (it seems to me based on the consistency with which it happened) because he didn't want to be as blunt as the coach. Therefore we received a watered down version despite the coach's detailed tactical exposition of what he planned to do versus T&T based on his expectations from T&T and the stereotypical words "big and strong" (to describe us) kept featuring in his discourse but nothing of a technical-tactical dimension featured (aside from defending corners because again we are big and strong) ... and nothing exuded respect beyond the minimal. He respected the opponent but he certainly didn't value our tactical disposition or challenge.

I say that with certainty because he also said he was surprised when we showed that we could counterattack (that is, "something he didn't expect").

Who could blame him? Scant evidence of that ability had been on display prior to that day (go back and read Jeffers' "we're actually playing" comment). Yet, the coach said they made the adjustment.

It was intriguing to hear him treat precisely why specific of his players were chosen over others for that match. The translator glossed over that like a dab of paint. (In CONCACAF this issue at press conferences is endemic. I watched the pre-match press conference of Ajax vs Valencia and the questions and responses both treated with detail and the translations were spot on footballistically. Press conferences present an avenue to learn the game and are often more insightful than the traditional segments on TV. And certainly if we were to face Honduras again we would have a template of information as to how the coach thinks, especially in his personnel selection.)

Don't tell me about there are no surprises in football. Coaches talk about them all the time. Go out there and treat with the conditions and make adjustments.

I've watched way too many of our matches versus Caribbean opponents in which there has been an insistence on pounding away at the same perceived solution for the better part of 90 minutes and then declaring that the result means that the teams have narrowed the competitive gap. No!

Yes, we've had improper prep administratively but then you've compounded the matter out of conservatism and buying into the rhythm of the dogfight. Truth is dem dogs doh hunt.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2019, 05:26:32 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2019, 06:24:19 AM »
Great post, whole-heartedly agree and interesting to hear about the press conference disconnect. There's no way we should be losing to half the teams we've played the past 14 months, and the Anguilla game was actually the worst of the lot - nothing of value was gained from that, and players were risked in a meaningless friendly that any team in the Super League would have won.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2019, 06:50:51 AM »
Breds, in some ways you prove my point. What I deduced from what you just said is, no matter who are facing be prepared. Being prepared means to me, that you study the ALL opponents past games against you and other teams. as you said, look at their strenghts  and weaknesses.

You work on set plays, attack, counter attack, when to slow the game down, when to speed up the game, team defending and defending the rivals set plays. Communication among the back four and communication between mid-field and defense, especially when defending, etc, etc. And of course the the physical aspect is important.

Caribbean athletes being fast, strong and big is nothing new. It is in Central Americans psyche. Archibald, Deleon, Jerry Brown, Andy Aleong, Mike Grayson, Kendall Walkes, Dwarika and many others were not big and strong. What they had were skill and speed. They are weary of quick and skiilfull  players from the Caribbean. When our teams are not prepared well they tend to be physical and they play right into their hands.

Offline truehaitian

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2019, 07:08:49 AM »
Concacaf gold cup Preliminary round to be played in March

Guadeloupe-St Vincent
Barbados-Guyana
Guatemala-Montserrat
Bahamas-FrenchGuyana

Concacaf Gold cup qualification round to be played in June

Haiti Vs (Guadeloupe-St Vincent winner)
Trinidad VS (Barbados-Guyana winner)
Cuba VS (Guatemala-Montserrat winner)
Bermuda VS (Bahamas-FrenchGuyana winner)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 04:03:21 PM »
Concacaf gives major boost to Gold Cup with new format and first ever draw.
goldcup.org

1. 2021 edition will include Preliminary Round and enhanced Knockout Phase
2. First ever Gold Cup draw will take place on September 28th, 2020
3. Competition will include AFC Asian Cup Champions Qatar as guest participant

Miami, FL (Wednesday, September 2, 2020) – Concacaf has announced an exciting new format for the 2021 edition of the Concacaf Gold Cup, and the introduction of a first ever draw for the prestigious regional tournament.

The new set-up for Concacaf’s flagship competition will include a Preliminary Round prior to the 16 team Group Stage. The Preliminary Round will include 12 Member Associations competing for the final three spots in the Group Stage. It will be played as a direct elimination format, from July 2nd to July 6th, in a centralized location in the United States.

Additionally, a major change to the Knockout Phase, which follows the Group Stage, will see teams on opposite sides of the bracket meet from the Quarterfinals onwards. In previous Gold Cups, teams have only competed against opponents on the same side of the bracket until the Final. This change will provide more unpredictability and excitement to the competition, which was expanded from 12 to 16 teams for a hugely successful 2019 edition.

As part of the Confederation’s focus on continuing to deliver a football first philosophy, and to add more anticipation for fans across the region, a first ever Gold Cup draw will take place on September 28th, 2020. Both the Preliminary Round and the Group Stage will be drawn at the event, further details for which will follow in the coming weeks.

An initial 12 teams booked their place in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup Group Stage, which will commence on July 10th, 2021, through their performances in the inaugural Concacaf Nations League (CNL).

They include the winners and runners-up in CNL League A groups, and the winners of CNL League B groups, including Canada, Costa Rica, Curacao, El Salvador, Grenada, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Mexico, Panama, Suriname and USA.

The 12 teams will be joined in the group stage by AFC Asian Cup Champions, Qatar, who will compete as a guest as part of a major collaboration between Concacaf and the host country of the FIFA World Cup 2022™.

Gold Cup Preliminary Round

The Preliminary Round will comprise the 12 national teams who qualified through their CNL performances, including the third placed teams from League A groups, the second placed teams from League B groups, and the winners of League C groups. Those teams are Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cuba, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Montserrat, St. Vincent and the Grenadines and Trinidad and Tobago.

After a knockout format involving the 12 national teams, the remaining three teams at the end of the Preliminary Round will qualify for the Gold Cup Group Stage.

Concacaf partnership with Qatar Football Association and the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy

Concacaf and the Asian Football Confederation’s (AFC) longstanding relationship, which was formalized through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed in May 2017, has resulted in various joint initiatives which have served to greatly develop football in both regions.

The MOU established a framework for strong collaboration between both Confederations and paved the way for a strategic partnership between Concacaf, the Qatar Football Association (QFA) and the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (SC), the organization charged with delivering the infrastructure and operations for the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™.

This partnership will bring huge benefits to all levels of the game across the entire region. It will also provide a strong link, and multiple knowledge sharing opportunities, between the organizing bodies of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022™ and the FIFA World Cup 2026™, which will take place in the Concacaf region.

The partnership includes the Qatar National Team competing as a guest in the 2021 and 2023 Gold Cups. The Qatar team is the current regional champion, having won the 2019 AFC Asian Cup. Additionally, the team participated in the 2019 Copa America in Brazil, providing strong opposition for South American national teams in the group stage.

Qatar will be the second AFC national team to compete as a guest in the Gold Cup, following South Korea who played in the 2000 and 2002 editions.

“The Concacaf Gold Cup continues to grow as a competition and we are hugely excited at the prospect of the 2021 edition, particularly as it falls in the Confederation’s 60th anniversary year,” said Concacaf President and FIFA Vice President, Victor Montagliani.

“A new format which provides more excitement for fans allows us to build on a very successful 2019 edition, which included competitive football and great stories. I also believe that having a draw for this competition is a long time coming and fits with our objective to be a truly football first organization. It will provide great anticipation for fans as they look forward to the return of international football in our region.

“We know from last year’s Gold Cup, and the compelling inaugural Concacaf Nations League group stage, that the standards of men’s international football continue to rise in our Confederation. I am very confident we will see more of the same in the new Preliminary Round for Gold Cup 2021. With the matches scheduled so close to the group stage it will be a highly competitive and entertaining set of games and I can’t wait to see it unfold.

“We also welcome a new guest in the Qatar National Team. As the AFC Asian Champions, they will provide stern opposition for Concacaf teams. The partnership we have entered into with the QFA and SC will be game-changing for the development of football at all levels in our region. It will also provide a great opportunity to share knowledge in a number of areas between the host of the FIFA World Cup 2022, and the region which will host the event in 2026. On behalf of all Concacaf Members I would like to place on record my gratitude to the AFC, and the QFA and SC for their commitment to collaborating and working with us on these important football partnerships.

“After such a challenging time for communities across the region and the world, we hope the return of international football, and the prospect of another great Gold Cup, can provide some hope and enjoyment for fans starting with a great draw event next month,” added Montagliani.

Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa, the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) President and Senior FIFA Vice President, said: "On behalf of the AFC and the entire Asian football family I would like to thank the Concacaf President and FIFA Vice President Victor Montagliani and all the Concacaf Members for the invitation that they have extended for the AFC Asian Champions, Qatar, to play in such a prestigious tournament as the Gold Cup.

“When the AFC and Concacaf signed their Memorandum of Understanding in May 2017 we saw the obvious opportunities for both Confederations to help and improve each other both in terms of performances on the field - of teams, players and match officials as well as operations staff - and, just as importantly, the continued development of the game across our Continents.

“Already AFC and Concacaf match officials have enjoyed the experience of controlling matches in different continents with different styles and now Qatar, the Asian Champions, can continue their own knowledge of international football following on from last year's AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 as well as the Copa America. We are sure everyone will benefit from Qatar's presence in the competition.”

Qatar Football Association President, H.E. Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Thani, said: “The Concacaf Gold Cup is a prestigious tournament and we’re thrilled Qatar has been invited to compete in the 2021 and 2023 editions. Qatar’s participation in the tournament next year takes place just 17 months before the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 kicks off so it will be a great opportunity to help further prepare the national team ahead of their opening World Cup match on 21 November 2022. Winning the 2019 AFC Asian Cup marked an important milestone in our development plan, and so we head into the Gold Cup confident that we can compete with Concacaf’s best teams. We look forward to the competition.”

Concacaf, the QFA and the SC will also develop and deliver a major football development initiative as part of the partnership which supports the growth of the game at grassroots level in North America, Central America and the Caribbean. It will include a significant focus on community coach development which can benefit thousands of young people across the Confederation. This will build on the excellent work Concacaf has already undertaken through its Next Play Program, and the hugely impactful Generation Amazing legacy project delivered by the SC.

SC Secretary General, H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi, said: “Generation Amazing is our flagship human and social legacy programme that uses the power of football to create sustainable social development in communities around the world. Since it was launched in 2009, when Qatar was bidding to host the 2022 World Cup, it has positively impacted the lives of more than 500,000 around the world.

Looking to the future and the further expansion of this important legacy project, we are excited to announce this strategic partnership with Concacaf’s own development programme, to ensure the growth of both our initiatives and deliver a greater impact on the lives of even more people, in even more countries. Most importantly, this partnership will help ensure a sustainable, lasting tournament legacy in North America, Central America and the Caribbean, well after the last ball is kicked in 2022.”

Al Thawadi added, “From a footballing perspective, it will be great to see Qatar’s national team take on some of the world’s best when they meet in the 2021 edition of the Gold Cup, ahead of their historic participation on home turf at the FIFA World Cup 2022.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2020, 07:33:44 AM »
Asian Cup Champions Qatar to guest at Gold Cup in US.
By Paul Nicholson (Insideworldfootball).

September 3 – Qatar will play as a guest nation in the next two editions of the Gold Cup in the US , the blue riband national team event for Concacaf’s member countries, in 2021 and 2023. The Asian Cup Champions are also scheduled to guest at Conmebol’s Copa America in 2021 as they prepare for their own hosting of the 2022 World Cup.

Concacaf announced Qatar’s participation as part of a reshaped Gold Cup competition that for the first time will see a Preliminary Round played as precursor to  the Gold Cup proper and which will qualify three teams to the 16 team group stages of the Gold Cup.

For the first time Concacaf will also hold a Gold Cup draw while a major change to the knockout phase will see teams on opposite sides of the draw meet from the quarter finals onwards. Previously teams have only competed against teams on their side of the draw until the final. The draw will be held September 28.

The entry of Qatar into the Gold Cup as a guest in 2021 has developed out of a “longstanding relationship, which was formalized through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) signed in May 2017, has resulted in various joint initiatives which have served to greatly develop football in both regions,” said Concacaf.

It will also logically open the door to further co-operation and knowledge sharing with the 2022 World Cup hosts playing a tournament in the country that will lead on hosting the 2026 World Cup. The strategic partnership between Concacaf, the Qatar Football Association (QFA) and the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy (SC) will also see the development of a grassroots programme and building on Concacaf’s Next Play Program, and Qatar’s Generation Amazing legacy project.
Qatar will be the second AFC nation to compete as a guest in the Gold Cup, following South Korea who played in the 2000 and 2002 editions.

“As the AFC Asian Champions, they will provide stern opposition for Concacaf teams. The partnership we have entered into with the QFA and SC will be game-changing for the development of football at all levels in our region. It will also provide a great opportunity to share knowledge in a number of areas between the host of the FIFA World Cup 2022, and the region which will host the event in 2026,” said Concacaf president Victor Montagliani.

Commenting on the opportunity of the partnership between the two confederations, AFC president Shaikh Salman bin Ebrahim Al Khalifa said: “When the AFC and Concacaf signed their Memorandum of Understanding in May 2017 we saw the obvious opportunities for both Confederations to help and improve each other both in terms of performances on the field – of teams, players and match officials as well as operations staff – and, just as importantly, the continued development of the game across our Continents.

“Already AFC and Concacaf match officials have enjoyed the experience of controlling matches in different continents with different styles and now Qatar, the Asian Champions, can continue their own knowledge of international football following on from last year’s AFC Asian Cup UAE 2019 as well as the Copa America. We are sure everyone will benefit from Qatar’s presence in the competition.”

The importance of preparing a competitive team for 2022 was emphasisesd by QFA president Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Thani, who said “it will be a great opportunity to help further prepare the national team ahead of their opening World Cup match on 21 November 2022. Winning the 2019 AFC Asian Cup marked an important milestone in our development plan, and so we head into the Gold Cup confident that we can compete with Concacaf’s best teams. We look forward to the competition.”

The wider importance of Qatar’s participation will be to bring profile, support and focus in a new region to the on-going legacy programme that has been an importnat initiative of Qatar’s World Cup hosting preparations. “Generation Amazing is our flagship human and social legacy programme that uses the power of football to create sustainable social development in communities around the world,” said SC Secretary General, H.E. Hassan Al Thawadi.

“Since it was launched in 2009, when Qatar was bidding to host the 2022 World Cup, it has positively impacted the lives of more than 500,000 around the world… Most importantly, this partnership will help ensure a sustainable, lasting tournament legacy in North America, Central America and the Caribbean, well after the last ball is kicked in 2022.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2020, 05:05:15 PM »
Concacaf Gold Cup set for July-Aug 2021
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

FIFA, the world's governing body for football, has announced that the 16th edition of the Concacaf Gold Cup will take place from July 10 to August 1 2021.

No venue has been confirmed for the 2021 edition, with Mexico expected to defend their crown. The tournament was originally scheduled to be held from July 2-25 2021, but it has been pushed back due to fixture congestion, arising out of the global coronavirus pandemic.

According to a Reuters report, FIFA has confirmed a new window for international matches in January 2022, with World Cup qualifiying fixtures piling up due to the covid19.

The window, which will apply to all continents (excluding Europe), was ratified by the decision-making FIFA Council on Thursday.

Recently, FIFA said that Concacaf qualifiers, which were carded to start in September, will kick off in March 2021.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2020, 04:10:08 PM »
T&T pre-seeded for 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup prelims draw.
By Nigel Simon (Guardian).

Despite the threat of a FIFA ban hanging over its head due to circumstance fully out of their control T&T senior men's football team has been listed as one of six Pre-seeded teams along with Haiti, Guatemala, Cuba, Guadeloupe and Bermuda for the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup preliminary draw which will involve 12 countries.

This was disclosed yesterday when Concacaf confirmed that its first-ever Gold Cup draw will take place in Miami, USA on September 28 at 8 pm, and the made-for-tv live event will be hosted by Emmy award-winning TUDN sportscaster Lindsay Casinelli and Fox Sports Lead football Analyst and the United States Men’s National Team legend Alexi Lalas.

The draw for the preliminary will involve the 12 national teams inclusive of Pot 1 nations French Guiana, Guyana, St. Vincent and the Grenadines, Barbados, Montserrat and Bahamas who earned their places in the Gold Cup Qualifiers through their performances in the Concacaf Nations League group stage, which was played in September, October and November 2019.

This includes the bottom-placed finishers in League A groups A, B and C, the runners-up in League B groups and the winners of League C groups.

The top six teams based on the Concacaf Ranking will be pre-seeded into match-ups one through six, and the next six will be drawn from a single pot. After direct elimination play over three match-days between July 2 through July 6, 2021, the 12 teams will be reduced to a final three who will qualify for the Gold Cup Group Stage.

For the Preliminary Round (Prelims), Concacaf’s Director of Development and former Grenada international star Jason Roberts will draw the teams while the draw for the Group Stage will be conducted by Concacaf Director of Competitions, Carlos Fernandez, alongside former Honduras national team star Wilson Palacios, a standout player in 2005, 2007 and 2011 editions of the Gold Cup.

The teams will be split into four pots based on the Concacaf Rankings and drawn into one of Groups A, B, C or D.

As the identity of the three qualifying teams through the Gold Cup Prelims will not be known until July 6th, 2021, for the draw there will be three spheres labelled as Prelims winners

The top four ranked nations (Pot 1) will be seeded based on the Concacaf Ranking, with the current Gold Cup Champions Mexico heading Group A, USA Group B, Costa Rica Group C and Honduras Group D.

The remaining competing teams will be distributed in Pots 2, 3 and 4 based on their ranking.

The guest team, Qatar, will be pre-drawn into the group which begins play on the latest date (Group D) as the team will also compete in the Copa America which concludes in early July.

A number of the national team head coaches will participate virtually in the evening’s event to provide live interviews following the outcome of the draw.

As part of the Confederation's football first philosophy, Concacaf last month announced a series of enhancements to the 2021 edition of its flagship regional tournament. These include a draw, the introduction of the Prelims to qualify the final three teams for the Group Stage and an exciting change to the Knockout Stage which will mean the top-seeded teams can meet before the Final.

Additionally, through the development of a long-standing agreement with the Asian Football Confederation, the Asian Cup champions, Qatar, will compete as a guest participant in the tournament. Concacaf, the Qatar Football Association and the Supreme Committee responsible for delivering the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 will also partner on a game-changing football development initiative which will significantly boost community coaching in all Concacaf nations.

The draw will be available for fans across the region to view on TUDN (Mexico and USA), FS2 (USA and Caribbean), One Soccer (Canada) and other local partners. For other territories, the event will be available on the Official Concacaf App, Concacaf Facebook page and Concacaf YouTube channel (subject to territory restrictions).

The prelims will be played July 2 to July 6, 2021, while the Group Stage will begin on July 10 and the Gold Cup Final will be played on August 1.

Concacaf Gold Cup Group Stage Draw Pots (based on Concacaf Ranking as of August 2020)

Pot 1 (pre-seeded teams): Mexico (Group A), USA (Group B), Costa Rica (Group C) and Honduras (Group D)

Pot 2: Jamaica, Canada, Panama and El Salvador

Pot 3: Martinique, Curacao, Suriname and Grenada

Pot 4: Three Prelims Winners and Qatar (Group D)

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2020, 10:37:06 PM »
Who cares.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2020, 01:29:12 PM »
Concacaf Statement – Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and the Gold Cup Draw
Concacaf.com

Concacaf has noted FIFA’s decision to suspend the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA). This matter was discussed during an emergency meeting of the Concacaf Council last night, and the following was agreed:

For the purposes of the 2021 Gold Cup draw, scheduled to take place on Monday September 28, at 8:00 pm ET, Trinidad and Tobago will be drawn in the Prelims as planned.

However, they will only participate in the competition if the suspension imposed on the TTFA is lifted by FIFA by 5:00 pm ET on December 18, 2020.

If the suspension imposed on the TTFA is not lifted by FIFA by 5:00pm ET on December 18, 2020, Trinidad and Tobago will be replaced in the Gold Cup Prelims by the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association as the next highest ranked team based on their 2019 Concacaf Nations League performance.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2020, 01:44:47 PM »
Concacaf Statement – Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and the Gold Cup Draw
Concacaf.com

Concacaf has noted FIFA’s decision to suspend the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA). This matter was discussed during an emergency meeting of the Concacaf Council last night, and the following was agreed:

For the purposes of the 2021 Gold Cup draw, scheduled to take place on Monday September 28, at 8:00 pm ET, Trinidad and Tobago will be drawn in the Prelims as planned.

However, they will only participate in the competition if the suspension imposed on the TTFA is lifted by FIFA by 5:00 pm ET on December 18, 2020.

If the suspension imposed on the TTFA is not lifted by FIFA by 5:00pm ET on December 18, 2020, Trinidad and Tobago will be replaced in the Gold Cup Prelims by the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association as the next highest ranked team based on their 2019 Concacaf Nations League performance.

Sons of bits all char wait- Instead of lobbying FIFA to reverse their decision the  'house 4kers' licking deychops and bowing to the masses of doom.
Fck dem all
Bring on eh I'm ever Narnadps Guyand. Get ready to in
Rash some fracking bloes
This is the only redemption and the only way to silence the serpents who hissing

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2020, 12:47:21 AM »
Concacaf gives T&T until December 18 to lift suspension
By Ian Prescott (Express).

GOLD CUP WINDOW

Trinidad and Tobago can still compete in the qualifying stage of the 2021 edition Concacaf Gold Cup if, by December 18, the criteria laid down by FIFA for lifting the country’s international ban from football is met.

Yesterday, chairman of the FIFA-imposed normalisation Committee Robert Hadad indicated the national football team still had a chance at playing in the region’s top competition for national football teams.

“I have learned that last night, the Concacaf Council decided that if we meet the requirements laid down by FIFA, and if FIFA lifts the suspension by December 18th, we will be permitted to compete in next summer’s Gold Cup,” Hadad stated via media release.

“However, if the suspension remains in place on that date, we will be automatically replaced,” he noted.

Hadad’s comments were supported by a later release from Concacaf that said, “For the purposes of the 2021 Gold Cup draw, scheduled to take place on Monday, September 28, at 8 p.m. ET, Trinidad and Tobago will be drawn in the Prelims as planned. However, they will only participate in the competition if the suspension imposed on the TTFA is lifted by FIFA by 5 p.m. ET on December 18, 2020.”

National team coach Terry Fenwick was elated at the possibility of a light at the end of the tunnel.

“Absolutely. We must get football going again,” the former England defender said. “It would be devastating to the entire football community if we were not able to go. Hopefully, good sense will prevail.”

FIFA has set two main conditions to be met before reinstating T&T.

“Suspension would only be lifted when the TTFA fully complies with its obligations as a member of FIFA, including recognising the legitimacy of the appointed normalisation committee and bringing its own statutes into line with the FIFA Statutes,” FIFA stated.

Hadad urged the TTFA membership and all football stakeholders to support his committee.

“This presents us with an opportunity but only if we urgently address FIFA’s issues. After recent events, I hope all football stakeholders in our country will work together with the normalisation committee for the benefit of football. We have a very difficult task ahead but we owe it to the coaches, the players, the fans and to future generations to create a well governed and well managed TTFA.”

In an immediate response to FIFA announcing an official ban on the country on Thursday, Hadad had said the TTFA had again found itself in a very negative situation despite the best efforts of his committee.

“On several occasions, we managed to have deadlines extended; and we appealed to the few individuals from the previous regime to drop their legal action and do the right thing,” he stated.

“Unfortunately, those few individuals have put their own interests before the TTFA’s. They knew very well this approach would have serious consequences for football in our country and yet they still pressed ahead with their own agenda. Their actions have had no regard for the coaches, the players and the fans in our country.

“Like the vast majority of stakeholders in our game, I am tired of the legal wrangling, the disputes and the constant focus on off-field problems in our football.”

He reinforced that FIFA will only recognise his committee and not the former TTFA executive headed by president William Wallace.

“The FIFA-appointed normalisation committee is the only way forward; it is still the only recognised body by FIFA and the football family needs to work with us so we can put everything into getting this suspension lifted; it is incumbent on us to come together and fix the TTFA for the good of future generations,” said Hadad.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2020, 02:22:20 AM »
Come on william you must know when you’re licked. you don’t have an ace up your sleeve nor anything in the bag that could defeat the big bully, nor do you have financial or moral support. so just leave the people with their football and move on until they decide on new elections nah boss. its time to give it up and live to fight other day.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:29:45 AM by pull stones »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 12:43:41 AM »
T&T in Gold Cup draw Monday.
By Keith Clement (T&T Guardian).

Trinidad and Tobago (T&T) will feature in Monday night’s draw for the preliminaries of the CONCACAF Gold Cup despite being slapped with an unlimited suspension by football’s world governing body, FIFA on Thursday, T&T Republic Day, with immediate effect and until further notice.

The ruling means that T&T cannot participate in any FIFA tournaments, events or programmes anywhere in the world until the suspension is lifted.

T&T was looking forward to participating in next year's Gold Cup tournament in the United States and the upcoming World Cup qualifiers in March 2021.

The sanction follows a decision by the former TTFA executive headed by elected president William Wallace and vice presidents — Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick (resigned on Friday) and Joseph Sam Phillips decision to challenge FIFA's decision to remove from office and replace them with a Normalisation Committee, in the T&T court instead to of Court for Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland, which FIFA said, "the TTFA committed “grave violations of the FIFA Statutes."

However, FIFA's Council's decision was followed by an emergency meeting of CONCACAF’s council late Thursday night, and a decision was made to offer T&T a ray of hope of still competing in the confederation showpiece but it must have the suspension revoked by FIFA by December 18 or Antigua and Barbuda will replace them in the 12-team tournament scheduled for next July, continental governing body CONCACAF announced Friday.

“For the purposes of the 2021 Gold Cup draw which takes place tonight at 8:00 pm (TT Time), Trinidad and Tobago will be drawn in the Prelims as planned. However, they will only participate in the competition if the suspension imposed on the TTFA is lifted by FIFA by 5:00 pm ET on December 18, 2020,” the CONCACAF statement said.

According to the FIFA's release on Thursday, the suspension will only to be lifted if the TTFA recognise and accept the Normalisation Committee and if the TTFA statutes are in line with FIFA statutes.

“If the suspension imposed on the TTFA is not lifted by FIFA by 5:00 pm ET on December 18, 2020, Trinidad and Tobago will be replaced in the Gold Cup Prelims by the Antigua and Barbuda Football Association as the next highest-ranked team based on their 2019 Concacaf Nations League performance,” the Concacaf said.

However, on Friday, Wallace responded with a letter that said: “It is also now clear that the decision to suspend the TTFA amidst the upcoming draw for the Gold Cup 2021 is meant to, amongst other things, provoke public furore against the properly and democratically elected executive of the TTFA. It is, for this reason, that last night (Thursday) I gave instructions to the TTFA Attorneys to file an emergency appeal with the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), challenging the sole issue of the suspension of TTFA in the face of illegal threats and coercive acts by FIFA. The attorneys were also asked to make an application for Injunctive Relief so that if successful this would allow T&T to participate in the Gold Cup draw carded for Monday 28th September 2020.”

The T&T Football Association had provoked FIFA’s ire by taking them to court over their decision to remove the William Wallace-led administration and install a normalisation committee last March.

And the stand-off reached crisis stage last month when the Trinidad and Tobago high court judge Carol Gobin ruled against FIFA on August 13, saying that the dispute between them and the former TTFA executives could be heard in the local jurisdiction instead of the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport, as contended by the world governing body.

FIFA subsequently warned the local FA their court action had “greatly [endangered] the overall football structure in the country and [endangered] the position of Trinidad and Tobago football internationally and set September 16 as a deadline to withdraw the matter from the local courts. The TTFA missed that deadline and on September 18 another deadline was set as September 23 by 3:00 pm for which the TTFA also missed.

T&T ranked 93rd in the FIFA rankings and is among 12 teams including the Bahamas, Barbados, Bermuda, Cuba, French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Guyana, Haiti, Montserrat and St Vincent and the Grenadines, expected to do battle for the last three spots in the 16-team group stage of the Gold Cup.

T&T qualified for the preliminaries as the third-place finishers in Group C of League A when they failed to win any of their two matches.

TTFA has been in a tussle with the FIFA since March 17, when its elected executive was removed and ten days later replaced by a FIFA-appointment Normalisation Committee as the administrators of local football.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 07:24:01 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago 🇹🇹 drawn against Montserrat🇲🇸 in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup preliminary round.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2020, 07:43:38 PM »
Trinidad and Tobago 🇹🇹 drawn against Montserrat🇲🇸 in the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup preliminary round.

There will probably be folk waking up to breakfast celebrating in North London, South London, Leicester, Birmingham, Preston and Leeds.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 07:45:34 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2020, 12:23:38 AM »
I really don’t want to hear about anyone complaining about racism on this board when they are undermining the stand of Wallace and team..

And ready to forget about what happened for the last 2 years and jump into a gold cup tournament like nothing happened or things don’t need to be addressed or corrected

Brainwashed mentality

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2020, 01:24:19 AM »
I really don’t want to hear about anyone complaining about racism on this board when they are undermining the stand of Wallace and team..

And ready to forget about what happened for the last 2 years and jump into a gold cup tournament like nothing happened or things don’t need to be addressed or corrected

Brainwashed mentality
you have to be the most miserable human being on the planet, how could someone be so negative every time they come on the forum? there’s never a joke or a friendly gesture to lighten the mood, only doom gloom and kaboom. I’m sorry for the chick that has to grow old with you, I truly wish her all the best.

PS. and please don’t respond if it’s going to be another one of your union leader’s speeches about who’s yellow and who’s balls is big enough to drag on the floor, I’m tired of those Stokley Carmichael type sermons about massa and house negro, no one cares at this point. go take a spring bath and cool off mate.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 01:26:11 AM by pull stones »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:40 AM »
Charles: Anything can happen against Montserrat.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

T&T's Soca Warriors will have a good chance of easing the tension caused by the ongoing feud between the T&T Football Association (TTFA) and FIFA, the sport's world governing body, with an opening CONCACAF Gold Cup qualifying match against Montserrat.

Should they advanced from that preliminary match in July, then they face a more-challenging Cuban team for the right to be included in the main draw which comprises four groups of four teams each.

On Tuesday, the former national coach Hutson "Baba" Charles said there was no surety the Soca Warriors would advance, considering the state of T&T football in recent times.

The former midfielder said, "In the last few years, T&T would have beaten Montserrat by six, seven or eight goals easily but now times have changed. The COVID-19 is also preventing sporting activities from taking place in T&T, while there are football playing everywhere else, and the fight between T&T and the FIFA over the legitimacy of a normalisation committee replacing a democratically elected administration, one does not know what to expect on the field."

Charles, who celebrated his 55th birthday on September 16, believes if T&T is to field a team, it would comprise mostly of players who ply their trade overseas, saying: "There has been no football in T&T so the local players will find it difficult to make it on the team."

Coach Terry Fenwick has been in training with an all-local squad for the past months, and according to his manager Basil Thompson a couple of months ago, the players were all eager to take the field ahead of the FIFA World Cup qualifiers which were scheduled to begin in October but will now take place next year.

He told Guardian Media Sports after the draw on Monday night: “We need some positives in T&T football away from the politics that is being played out between the United TTFA and FIFA and I’m just hoping that we get a draw that we can plan ahead, prepare properly and the boys will look forward to playing.”

A former outstanding playmaker with the Defence Force, Charles said that should the T&T team progress in the opening Montserrat encounter, the local team will have an even more challenging match against the winner of the Cuba/French Guiana game.

T&T faces Montserrat in one of six preliminary matches with the other matches being: Haiti vs St Vincent and the Grenadines; Guatemala vs Guyana; Cuba vs French Guiana; Guadeloupe vs the Bahamas; and Bermuda vs Barbados. The winners of each match will come up against each other in a round two play-off and the top three teams will advance to the main draw.

However, Charles is uncertain whether T&T will get the chance to play football with the TTFA challenging a suspension by FIFA, last week. He also expressed concerns over the TTFA's decision to file an Injunctive Relief in the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) in Switzerland, as well as put the fight against the FIFA back in the T&T High Court.

Charles believes that regardless of how the court rules in T&T, it would affect the national team's chances at the Gold Cup.

Round One

Matchup #1: Haiti vs St Vincent and the Grenadines

Matchup #2: Guatemala vs Guyana

Matchup #3: T&T vs Monserrat

Matchup #4: Cuba vs French Guiana

Matchup #5: Guadeloupe vs Bahamas

Matchup #6: Bermuda vs Barbados

Round Two

Matchup #7: Winner Matchup #1 vs Winner Matchup #6

Matchup #8: Winner Matchup #2 vs Winner Matchup #5

Matchup #9: Winner Matchup #3 vs Winner Matchup #4

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2020, 04:04:34 AM »
Ferguson: T&T eyes Gold Cup, World Cup play.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

T&T’s Senior footballers can well resume preparations to be ready for the CONCACAF Gold Cup and FIFA World Cup, with both qualifying tournaments set to take place next year.

Richard Ferguson, the Terminix La Horquetta Rangers managing director and owner who chaired Sunday’s Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM), and later penned a letter to the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee chairman Robert Hadad yesterday, basically apologised to the FIFA for the legal battle that transpired over the past nine months.

The letter, which was also included the minutes of the virtual meeting, also requested the return of the normalisation committee, comprising Hadad, the HADCO Group of Companies director, former banker Nigel Romano and attorney Judy Daniel, which was in accordance with of the three FIFA requirement for the TTFA to rejoin FIFA as a member, after it was suspended on September 24 until further notice for violations of the FIFA Statutes.

Hadad responded on Monday to say that he received the letter, which was sent both by email and hand-delivered to his office.

At the meeting, the membership voted to remove president William Wallace and his vice presidents Clynt Taylor and Joseph Sam Phillip, all of whom did not attend the meeting, and call for the removal of all the TTFA’s court matters against the FIFA to be dropped. One of the United TTFA attorneys Dr Emir Crowne confirmed for Guardian media Sports that the matter in the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) had been dropped.

At Sunday's EGM Osmond Downer, the T&T Football Referees (T&TFRA) representative moved the motion which read: "Be it resolved that, in view of the precarious position that the TTFA now finds itself, this extraordinary general meeting of the TTFA decides that the way forward for the TTFA is for the TTFA to fully comply with its obligation as a member of FIFA, recognising the legitimacy of the FIFA appointed normalisation committee, and bringing its own statutes in line with the FIFA Statutes, and to fully cooperate with the normalisation committee in the fulfilment of its mandate as stated in FIFA's letter of March 17, 2020. Be it further resolved that all court matters existing between the TTFA and FIFA shall be immediately brought to a stop".

The motion was seconded by Keith Jefferys of Central FC and 33 of the 38 delegates present voted in favour of it.

Wallace and his attorneys - Matthew Gayle, Jason Jones, Crystal. Paul and Crowne took a decision to challenge the FIFA suspension through the CAS, after they felt the suspension, which came although the TTFA had filed documents to drop the FIFA case on September 23, the same day as the deadline was supposed to have been dropped. However, the 3 pm deadline was missed.

Ferguson said: "We're on the right path. we need now to repair the relationship with the different institutions and organisations before we can actually be looking forward to playing in the qualifying tournaments of the World Cup and the CONCACAF Gold Cup."

T&T, in spite of the FIFA suspension in September, was included in the CONCACAF draw which saw them pull Montserrat as their preliminary round opponent. Ferguson said that once the normalisation committee takes over, they would be in charge of the TTFA and whatever changes they need to make to the constitution, they would be able to effect through the membership.

Both constitutional expert Downer, who helped drafted the TTFA constitution, and attorney Gayle, told Guardian Media Sports after the suspension that they were unclear about exactly what the FIFA was asking for when they requested that the TTFA bring its Statutes in line with FIFA's, if the TTFA wanted to be re-accepted as a member.

Randy Harris, president of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU) said: “You were suspended temporarily, obviously FIFA has made certain criteria that Trinidad and Tobago and all of us, would insert in their Statutes to ensure we don’t have a situation such as this reoccurring. You may understand if something like this is allowed to happen, people would be going to the ordinary Courts of Law for just about anything that they are not happy about. I don’t believe that Trinidad and Tobago’s FA has a lot to do in terms of legal wrangling, what they have to do is to ensure that they meet the Statutes required by FIFA. Barbados itself is going through a revision and a review of its Statutes, to bring it in line with what the FIFA requires from its members.”

Asked what the changes are, Harris replied: “It is exactly what’s in the Trinidad and Tobago Statutes that we don’t take disputes of any kind to the ordinary law courts, or courts in our respective jurisdiction.”

Harris pointed out that even before the normalisation committee was inserted in Trinidad and Tobago, the FIFA had been going through the statutes of many of its members.

Meanwhile, Ferguson called on the T&T to be humble at this point, saying FIFA does not need T&T. “FIFA gives T&T probably $2 million to $3 million US dollars per year, T&T does not give FIFA anything. We need to progress from here and we need to work towards playing in the World Cup and bringing T&T talent towards the international stage. What has transpired over the last year, has a lot to do with some emotions, a bit of aggression and a little bit of arrogance, so we really need to adopt a more humble approach,” Ferguson said.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2020, 05:25:18 PM »

Last Gold Cup USA hit us for more than 10 for revenge for knocking them out WC qualifying and Guyana embarassed us too.

Hopefully we dont do any worse this time around

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2020, 10:26:25 PM »

Last Gold Cup USA hit us for more than 10 for revenge for knocking them out WC qualifying and Guyana embarassed us too.

Hopefully we dont do any worse this time around
it was six goals, but close enough.

1]; } ?>