March 28, 2024, 08:55:08 AM

Author Topic: Concacaf Club Final 1988  (Read 2271 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Concacaf Club Final 1988
« on: December 24, 2019, 06:52:42 PM »
I see Defence Force played Olimpia of Honduras in the Finals and lost.

What is curious is that both games were played in Hond.

Anyone know as to why?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Concacaf Club Final 1988
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 08:11:27 PM »

Anyone know as to why?

VB

By "both games" you mean home and away? Thrre was a true home and a true away.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 08:22:15 PM »

Anyone know as to why?

VB

This is normally a home and away affair. It certainly was the year before when DF lost to America of Mexico.
But in 1988 both games were played in the opponent's home turf.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 09:10:01 PM »

Anyone know as to why?

VB

This is normally a home and away affair. It certainly was the year before when DF lost to America of Mexico.
But in 1988 both games were played in the opponent's home turf.

There are a few discrepancies about the games and it appears that the English language documentation of the matches is more accurate than the Spanish language archives (except the video footage and its Spanish language commentary.)

Matches were definitely played on the same field with one rest day between them (I've seen attribution indicating two different fields).

I surmised that maybe Honduras hosted the semifinal round but I can't confirm dates. If so, that would explain the hosting.

Despite the losses, Hutson Charles leggo some venomous strikes.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2019, 09:11:51 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »
If you have a video link, please post it.

Curious as to this "hosting" as this was not the norm in other years.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2019, 01:53:29 AM »
Vb, DF may have played both games away for the money. The old Concacsf cup did not have lucrative prize money as today.  All they got was a trophy and trip to a trip to South America for the away game against the conmebol winners.  The best persons to ask in TT to ask is Sam Phillips of this New TTFA.  He was playing for DF then.  Also Winston Phillips. Lincoln’s bother

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2019, 05:28:21 AM »
WATCH: First leg match of the 1988 CONCACAF Club Championship final between Club Deportivo Olimpia (Honduras) and Defence Force (Trinidad and Tobago), documented as having occurred on Monday, December 19, 1988.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/V2qmhwrjcQc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/V2qmhwrjcQc</a>

WATCH: Second leg match of the 1988 CONCACAF Club Championship final between Club Deportivo Olimpia (Honduras) and Defence Force (Trinidad and Tobago), documented as having occurred on Wednesday, December 21, 1988.

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/NQzG7-ITHSo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/NQzG7-ITHSo</a>
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 05:30:07 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2019, 05:59:23 AM »
Vb, DF may have played both games away for the money. The old Concacsf cup did not have lucrative prize money as today.  All they got was a trophy and trip to a trip to South America for the away game against the conmebol winners. The best persons to ask in TT to ask is Sam Phillips of this New TTFA.  He was playing for DF then.  Also Winston Phillips. Lincoln’s bother

Yep. The 1988 winners (coached by Estanislao Malinowski, an Uruguayan) faced Nacional (Uruguay). A couple years earlier Defence Force played Argentina Juniors. Armando Dely Valdés (RIP) would have been in the Argentina Juniors squad.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2019, 10:08:40 AM »
Asylum you really good boss.

I searched for it on Youtube but could not find it. I don't know if it because I spelled it as Defence. ;-)

:beermug: :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2019, 10:29:11 AM »
Who was the DF GK?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2019, 10:33:41 AM »
Who was the DF GK?
Hayden Thomas. Not much of a diver?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2019, 02:37:06 PM »
Who was the DF GK?

Who was de coach?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2019, 02:50:39 PM »

There was tinkering here and there and restructing just as we've seen in recent time with the Nations League and other events. That "continental" final between Argentina Juniors and DF (played in T&T) ordinarily should have been a two-leg affair. Only one match was played.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2019, 04:42:40 PM »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2019, 05:00:56 PM »

There was tinkering here and there and restructing just as we've seen in recent time with the Nations League and other events. That "continental" final between Argentina Juniors and DF (played in T&T) ordinarily should have been a two-leg affair. Only one match was played.

I was surprised they only played one game that year. But I guess Juniors was certainly confident that they could handle DF.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2019, 07:57:16 PM »

I was surprised they only played one game that year. But I guess Juniors was certainly confident that they could handle DF.

You sure Deeks?

I thought they drew in TT but lost 1-0 in Argentina.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2019, 08:05:31 PM »

You sure Deeks?

I thought they drew in TT but lost 1-0 in Argentina.

Ok Deeks, you right.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Copa_Interamericana

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2019, 08:10:46 PM »
Tsk tsk, vb. Have faith man.  ;D

Yuh doubts made me dig and although I mentioned Dely Valdés as being in the squad, I hadn't checked whether he played. It turns out he scored the goal. Match played on December 10, 1986.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 08:30:14 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2019, 01:43:38 AM »
Well DF really couldn't complain, could they?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2019, 10:18:01 AM »

VB, I once spoke to Curtis Murrel, youth team teammate, who played on DF team at the time. Playing the tournament was enjoyable. But after that nothing else. If they won no prize money. The Mex. and Central American sponsors had incentives for any of their teams winning. It was a national achievement in that region. In TT, the prize was guardian, express write up.  A pat on the back and ah bun and ah sweet drink. In addition the flight and accommodation incurring expenses. They had won about 6 or 7 consecutive TT championships. After a while the incentives was not there. Even if they beat the SA champions, they still would not be going to the intercontinental cup.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:24:47 AM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »

VB, I once spoke to Curtis Murrel, youth team teammate, who played on DF team at the time. Playing the tournament was enjoyable. But after that nothing else. If they won no prize money. The Mex. and Central American sponsors had incentives for any of their teams winning. It was a national achievement in that region. In TT, the prize was guardian, express write up.  A pat on the back and ah bun and ah sweet drink. In addition the flight and accommodation incurring expenses. They had won about 6 or 7 consecutive TT championships. After a while the incentives was not there. Even if they beat the SA champions, they still would not be going to the intercontinental cup.
[/b]

:o :o

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2019, 04:36:04 AM »

[/b]

Even if they beat the SA champions, they still would not be going to the intercontinental cup.

before the FIFA took over the World Club competition, it was strictly Euro-SA game. But Conmebol and Concacaf champions would play each other for a de facto hemispheric champion. So what if let's say DF had beaten Argentinos Juniors on that day in POS. DF would not have gotten to play the Euro champs. So there was no incentive.

FIFA wanted the African, Asian and the Concacaf champs to be included, the Euros and SA did not. So for almost 2 decades the games was not sanctioned by FIFA.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 04:38:24 AM by Deeks »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »

[/b]

Even if they beat the SA champions, they still would not be going to the intercontinental cup.

before the FIFA took over the World Club competition, it was strictly Euro-SA game. But Conmebol and Concacaf champions would play each other for a de facto hemispheric champion. So what if let's say DF had beaten Argentinos Juniors on that day in POS. DF would not have gotten to play the Euro champs. So there was no incentive.

FIFA wanted the African, Asian and the Concacaf champs to be included, the Euros and SA did not. So for almost 2 decades the games was not sanctioned by FIFA.

Racist mofos.

1]; } ?>