March 28, 2024, 09:35:31 AM

Author Topic: Scouting for Talent Thread  (Read 30634 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scouting for Talent Thread
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2022, 11:41:44 AM »
Easter Greetings to all Soca Warriors and their families. So yesterday was the start of the combine tryouts for foreign born Trinis. The turnout was  good. Saw one or former TT players who came to watch. Evans Wise, Kendall Walkes, Trevor Leiba. Even met Jean-Luc Rochford for the first time. Nice kid. Everything was well organized. At was held in NE DC at a refurbished city recreation center. Nice astro turf field. Players all set in their uniforms and thing.  Forum, there are some pretty good players in this batch. If we can get at least five or ten would be a good start.  I saw some good players. I saw one skinny read head kid doing somethings in the mid-field was pretty good. The games were fast and hard tackling. Some the players needed attention for various collisions.

I am familiar with one player. His name is Toafik Lucas-Walker. He is from the area and I think he has been to TT for tryouts in the past. He has grown into a fine young man. He is strong, fast and the attacks the 50/50 balls with tenacity. I say he ready for national duty. I might be biased. There was another tall lanky kid who played forward. Fast and good ball control. Did not get his name. Was told his dad is Wayne Federicks. Howard U. president. Not sure. Will verify.

This kind of sessions are long overdue. They are plenty of good foreign born out there. Right now I think some of them have the edge because they are in academies or playing for some of the development teams in the USSF or various state organizations. Today is the final day and down to Ft. Lauderdale. That's it, Warriors. Blessing.

Deeks, how can you say Lucas-Walker is ready for national duty? Based on what? Is this what getting selected to the national team has come to? Nowadays it seems like you stand a better chance getting picked if you not playing anywhere or anywhere of note. Where are our standards? I have nothing against Lucas-Walker, but he is 24, and where has he played, or where is he currently playing? How much professional experience does he have? I don't see how we can aim to be competitive in the region if we resorting to tryouts for the national team. Who does that?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 01:41:30 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2022, 05:10:33 PM »
Easter Greetings to all Soca Warriors and their families. So yesterday was the start of the combine tryouts for foreign born Trinis. The turnout was  good. Saw one or former TT players who came to watch. Evans Wise, Kendall Walkes, Trevor Leiba. Even met Jean-Luc Rochford for the first time. Nice kid. Everything was well organized. At was held in NE DC at a refurbished city recreation center. Nice astro turf field. Players all set in their uniforms and thing.  Forum, there are some pretty good players in this batch. If we can get at least five or ten would be a good start.  I saw some good players. I saw one skinny read head kid doing somethings in the mid-field was pretty good. The games were fast and hard tackling. Some the players needed attention for various collisions.

I am familiar with one player. His name is Toafik Lucas-Walker. He is from the area and I think he has been to TT for tryouts in the past. He has grown into a fine young man. He is strong, fast and the attacks the 50/50 balls with tenacity. I say he ready for national duty. I might be biased. There was another tall lanky kid who played forward. Fast and good ball control. Did not get his name. Was told his dad is Wayne Federicks. Howard U. president. Not sure. Will verify.

This kind of sessions are long overdue. They are plenty of good foreign born out there. Right now I think some of them have the edge because they are in academies or playing for some of the development teams in the USSF or various state organizations. Today is the final day and down to Ft. Lauderdale. That's it, Warriors. Blessing.

Deeks, how can you say Lucas-Walker is ready for national duty? Based on what? Is this what getting selected to the national team has come to? Nowadays it seems like you stand a better chance getting picked if you not playing anywhere or anywhere of note. Where are our standards? I have nothing against Lucas-Walker, but he is 24, and where has he played, or where is he currently playing? How much professional experience does he have? I don't see how we can aim to be competitive in the region if we resorting to tryouts for the national team. Who does that?

A hTallman you notice that also  eh Anybody getting a call up now ....
« Last Edit: April 19, 2022, 04:28:21 AM by Trini _2026 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 18, 2022, 09:06:33 PM »
I hope the organizers exercised forethought and recorded video of the football activity.

There was a high camera at sidelines. So I think the sessions were recorded.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2022, 09:48:41 PM »
I hope the organizers exercised forethought and recorded video of the football activity.

There was a high camera at sidelines. So I think the sessions were recorded.

That's good to hear.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 23, 2022, 12:35:55 AM »
I heard that 4 players were selected from the combine trials for the U20 playoffs in Honduras. Curtis Deleon, Wayne Fredericks Jr. , Noah Roka, Tyrell Moore.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 23, 2022, 05:19:40 AM »
I heard that 4 players were selected from the combine trials for the U20 playoffs in Honduras. Curtis Deleon, Wayne Fredericks Jr., Noah Roka, Tyrell Moore.

That's quite a yield.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 23, 2022, 05:30:52 AM »
Tomas Pena - i wonder if an invite was extended to him ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #67 on: April 23, 2022, 06:00:57 AM »
I heard that 4 players were selected from the combine trials for the U20 playoffs in Honduras. Curtis Deleon, Wayne Fredericks Jr. , Noah Roka, Tyrell Moore.

Just curious is Deleon related Leroy Deleon.
Is Moore related to the Tobagonian Wendelle Moore?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 23, 2022, 10:26:01 AM »

VB

I was told that DeLeon is the son of Terence DeLeon who played for Belmont Sec. in the past. There is a younger brother Shane, who plays for U Alabama Birmingham. Don't know about Moore. Will inquire.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »

I did not see his name on the list of invitees. There is a Pena on this forum. I met him once in Baltimore at a coaching conference 2 yrs ago. Lost his number. I think he is from Philly/NJ ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »

You assuming that they know about him.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2022, 10:53:22 AM »

VB

Tyrell Moore is Wendell's son.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 23, 2022, 10:58:39 AM »
Morning Breds. So I spoke to Lucus-Walker's dad, Gerard, this morning. He said that he heard that  these 4 players were chosen at this moment. He said that the TTFA is still open to the others players. They have not shut the door on anyone.  But they have the budgetary issues.  They have not closed the door for the older players. Again money is an big issue. They are looking at the U-20 qualifications at this moment, and the Concacaf Nations league. Which brings up the over 20 players. His son Toafik is 24 and the coaches in TT knows him and are aware of his abilities. So there is the possibility of him getting a call up. He said that he is playing USL2 for NOVA FC( formerly Northern Virginia Royals). He said that they were about to sign up for a club in Wales, but the Covid pandemic cut that out. He said that he tried out with Miami FC, but it did not work out. They are still pushing for MLS or MLS2. That's it.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2022, 10:59:14 AM »

VB

I was told that DeLeon is the son of Terence DeLeon who played for Belmont Sec. in the past. There is a younger brother Shane, who plays for U Alabama Birmingham. Don't know about Moore. Will inquire.

Shane is actually the older brother. Both of them play for University of Alabama at Birmingham. Curtis has already repped T&T at the U-17 level under Stern John.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 23, 2022, 11:03:05 AM »
I saw a Raphael John (I2i International UK) on the list. Is that Stern's son ?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2022, 11:08:58 AM »
I saw a Raphael John (I2i International UK) on the list. Is that Stern's son ?

Not as far as I know, but Isa Sayeed is his son and he was at the combine.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 23, 2022, 11:31:14 AM »
Morning Breds. So I spoke to Lucus-Walker's dad, Gerard, this morning. He said that he heard that  these 4 players were chosen at this moment. He said that the TTFA is still open to the others players. They have not shut the door on anyone.  But they have the budgetary issues.  They have not closed the door for the older players. Again money is an big issue. They are looking at the U-20 qualifications at this moment, and the Concacaf Nations league. Which brings up the over 20 players. His son Toafik is 24 and the coaches in TT knows him and are aware of his abilities. So there is the possibility of him getting a call up. He said that he is playing USL2 for NOVA FC( formerly Northern Virginia Royals). He said that they were about to sign up for a club in Wales, but the Covid pandemic cut that out. He said that he tried out with Miami FC, but it did not work out. They are still pushing for MLS or MLS2. That's it.

Taofik is 24 and playing in a league that is semipro at best, consists mostly of college players, and runs for about three months. Why would that translate into a call up to the senior team? Is our national team some kinda fall-back option now?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2022, 11:35:37 AM by Tallman »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #77 on: April 23, 2022, 02:26:45 PM »

Taofik is 24 and playing in a league that is semipro at best, consists mostly of college players, and runs for about three months. Why would that translate into a call up to the senior team? Is our national team some kinda fall-back option now?

YES   :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 23, 2022, 02:32:05 PM »

The nature of the landscape of football and the sociocultural environment in North America inevitably lend to some T&T eligible players (of superior quality and competence to domestic players) being erased from relevance on the traditional  pathways to playing recognition at professional, national and international levels.

T&T is not the sole regional nation with powerhouse ambitions that faces this problem. However, unlike others nations on the cusp, we do not have a league where they can be cultivated and with reasonable pay.

There ought to be a lifeline available to players in the grey zone. How it is orchestrated can be debated --- assuming proper organization and funding are not being negating factors.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 23, 2022, 03:23:36 PM »

The nature of the landscape of football and the sociocultural environment in North America inevitably lend to some T&T eligible players (of superior quality and competence to domestic players) being erased from relevance on the traditional  pathways to playing recognition at professional, national and international levels.

T&T is not the sole regional nation with powerhouse ambitions that faces this problem. However, unlike others nations on the cusp, we do not have a league where they can be cultivated and with reasonable pay.

There ought to be a lifeline available to players in the grey zone. How it is orchestrated can be debated --- assuming proper organization and funding are not being negating factors.

Question is why are we looking in the grey zone? Have we exhausted trying to attract players from the more eligible zones, or we just give up on that?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 24, 2022, 12:31:24 AM »

While there have been players who have had TT as a fall back option, this is not the case for Lucas-Walker. He has TT as his first choice. He has tried out at youth level before.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 24, 2022, 07:10:20 AM »

Well it is a logical assumption Tallman. His brother played for us you know...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 24, 2022, 08:43:51 AM »

While there have been players who have had TT as a fall back option, this is not the case for Lucas-Walker. He has TT as his first choice. He has tried out at youth level before.

Deeks, I should have been clearer. When I said fall-back, I meant it in terms of being an option if a player cannot make any significant headway in their professional career. As far as T&T being Taofik's first choice, let's be real, it is his only choice. With very few exceptions, almost any dual nationality player who plays for us has no realistic hope of playing for their birth country. And those that do, typically remain on the fringes of their birth country's team until they realize that their preference is not going to happen.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 24, 2022, 08:45:04 AM »

Logic and TTFA?  :banginghead:

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 24, 2022, 03:33:28 PM »

Ok oK Tallman . Angus also mentioned players in germany  so i await to see who they are.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2022, 05:27:17 PM »

Ok oK Tallman . Angus also mentioned players in germany  so i await to see who they are.

Nothing to get excited about.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 25, 2022, 12:09:57 PM »

Nothing to get excited about.

Well I hope they are at least attached a club 
u19 team.

Offline chelsealife

• You must be the change you wish to see in this world
  • Hero Warrior
  • Its BLUE, what else matters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 25, 2022, 02:44:46 PM »

Germany? Was this in an interview? First I'm hearing anything about Germany. Ryan Inniss made himself available a while now and si has Rory McKenzie but seems like we're not interested

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 25, 2022, 03:16:40 PM »

I figure dem out.. we’ll wait to see if Canada carry these guys and girls, and then we will check them. If the Country of their birth don’t consider them, of course the can’t be good for we. Ent ?  ::)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 25, 2022, 10:20:32 PM »

I figure dem out.. we’ll wait to see if Canada carry these guys and girls, and then we will check them. If the Country of their birth don’t consider them, of course the can’t be good for we. Ent ?  ::)

Honestly, We may have give TTFA a bligh here for just going along with this invitation to invite 40 "unknowns". Just the fact that they sign up or went along with this group to screen TT foreign borns was a surprise to me. I don't  known if it can/will be replicated in Canada and other regions in North American and England/Europe. I only knew one player before hand in the list of players invitees. The 4 who got selected were new to me. I did not even know Wayne Fredericks son was into soccer. Lets see what happens next.

1]; } ?>