March 29, 2024, 08:49:08 AM

Author Topic: Scouting for Talent Thread  (Read 30649 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Scouting for Talent Thread
« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2022, 10:31:51 PM »
With very few exceptions, almost any dual nationality player who plays for us has no realistic hope of playing for their birth country. And those that do, typically remain on the fringes of their birth country's team until they realize that their preference is not going to happen.

Tallman, so what is your point here. He should not even bother trying out for TT  because he not good enough for the US?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2022, 04:56:30 AM »
With very few exceptions, almost any dual nationality player who plays for us has no realistic hope of playing for their birth country. And those that do, typically remain on the fringes of their birth country's team until they realize that their preference is not going to happen.

Tallman, so what is your point here. He should not even bother trying out for TT  because he not good enough for the US?

No, not all. As a matter of fact he should be open to any opportunity that comes his way. That response was directly related to your comment that T&T is/was his first choice. Fact is, that is his only choice.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2022, 05:11:07 AM »
Tomas Pena - i wonder if an invite was extended to him ?

You assuming that they know about him.

Well it is a logical assumption Tallman. His brother played for us you know...

Logic and TTFA?  :banginghead:
I figure dem out.. we’ll wait to see if Canada carry these guys and girls, and then we will check them. If the Country of their birth don’t consider them, of course the can’t be good for we. Ent ?  ::)

Honestly, We may have give TTFA a bligh here for just going along with this invitation to invite 40 "unknowns". Just the fact that they sign up or went along with this group to screen TT foreign borns was a surprise to me. I don't  known if it can/will be replicated in Canada and other regions in North American and England/Europe. I only knew one player before hand in the list of players invitees. The 4 who got selected were new to me. I did not even know Wayne Fredericks son was into soccer. Lets see what happens next.

Why would you want it to be replicated in other regions? What level of player do you think will typically respond to such invitations? A combine was not needed to select the players who were eventually chosen.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2022, 06:40:25 PM »
Tomas Pena - i wonder if an invite was extended to him ?

You assuming that they know about him.

Well it is a logical assumption Tallman. His brother played for us you know...

Logic and TTFA?  :banginghead:
I figure dem out.. we’ll wait to see if Canada carry these guys and girls, and then we will check them. If the Country of their birth don’t consider them, of course the can’t be good for we. Ent ?  ::)

Honestly, We may have give TTFA a bligh here for just going along with this invitation to invite 40 "unknowns". Just the fact that they sign up or went along with this group to screen TT foreign borns was a surprise to me. I don't  known if it can/will be replicated in Canada and other regions in North American and England/Europe. I only knew one player before hand in the list of players invitees. The 4 who got selected were new to me. I did not even know Wayne Fredericks son was into soccer. Lets see what happens next.

Why would you want it to be replicated in other regions? What level of player do you think will typically respond to such invitations? A combine was not needed to select the players who were eventually chosen.

Well Tallman, what if there was no combine and we heard that they chose these 4 guys, you would be fine with that ?  What would be you criteria for picking foreign born players like the 4 they just picked? Word of mouth ? Come home and tryout ? Look at their HS or academy videos ? I am a bit confused.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2022, 07:59:37 PM »
Well Tallman, what if there was no combine and we heard that they chose these 4 guys, you would be fine with that ?  What would be you criteria for picking foreign born players like the 4 they just picked? Word of mouth ? Come home and tryout ? Look at their HS or academy videos ? I am a bit confused.

How does the rest of the world do it? Proper scouting. Observing games in person if feasible, looking at games online, video footage, looking at the player's profile, performances, accomplishments, talking to coaches and so on. We're talking about our national team, which is supposed to comprise of the best players we have available to us in the various age groups.

What was the structure of the combine? Each day there was an hour of training followed by games. I don't know how many games were played or the format of the games, but the total time allotted was two hours. So it's not like they're being evaluated over a period of time.

If you look at the roster you would see that the vast majority of attendees were not attached to any notable clubs or playing in any notable leagues. And when I say not notable, I don't mean unknown but I'm basically referring to the level. The better players or those playing at a decent to high level would most likely not attend such an event. If there was mutual interest in players like Dante Sealy or Kobi Henry, do you think they would come to a combine? Would it even be necessary?

The criteria for picking the four players should be based on who they're playing with, the level they're playing at, their performances and accomplishments with their club/school, and of course the needs of our coach/team. And yes there are other intangibles. When all is said and done, this would just be for a training camp.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2022, 06:36:41 AM »

How does the rest of the world do it? Proper scouting. Observing games in person if feasible, looking at games online, video footage, looking at the player's profile, performances, accomplishments, talking to coaches and so on. We're talking about our national team, which is supposed to comprise of the best players we have available to us in the various age groups.

What was the structure of the combine? Each day there was an hour of training followed by games. I don't know how many games were played or the format of the games, but the total time allotted was two hours. So it's not like they're being evaluated over a period of time.

If you look at the roster you would see that the vast majority of attendees were not attached to any notable clubs or playing in any notable leagues. And when I say not notable, I don't mean unknown but I'm basically referring to the level. The better players or those playing at a decent to high level would most likely not attend such an event. If there was mutual interest in players like Dante Sealy or Kobi Henry, do you think they would come to a combine? Would it even be necessary?

The criteria for picking the four players should be based on who they're playing with, the level they're playing at, their performances and accomplishments with their club/school, and of course the needs of our coach/team. And yes there are other intangibles. When all is said and done, this would just be for a training camp.

Tallman, your criteria list is on point. But you talking  about TTFA. They can't even scout Tobago properly for players. So how did they come up with that list of 40 players ? They probably did exactly what  you are saying. Remember some of these guys are 17 yr old. Still living in their parents. Very few of our foreign are playing big clubs. Quite a few are playing for regional academies. Some maybe associated with an MLS or USL club.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 28, 2022, 04:06:54 PM »
Deeks Powder had a good system in place. He identified 50 playerS from the 2004/05/06 age groups  from scouting top tier academies in the USA.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Jn010pHI98E" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Jn010pHI98E</a>
« Last Edit: April 28, 2022, 04:16:23 PM by Trini _2026 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2022, 12:36:20 PM »
Players from Arsenal, Schalke, Monchengladbach try out for T&T.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

T&T’s under-20 and senior teams are set to be strengthened by players from English Premiership teams Arsenal and Norwich City, FC Schalke 04 and Borussia Monchengladbach of the German Bundesliga and Real Oviedo of the Spanish Second Division among many other teams, national coach Angus Eve explained during a TTFA press release on Thursday.

The former national midfielder who is in charge of both the country’s senior and under-20 team that is preparing for the CONCACAF Under-20 Championships from June 19 to July 3 in San Pedro Sula, Honduras as well as the country’s senior men’s participation in the CONCACAF Nations League in June.

Eve said he did not want to name the players that the technical staff have discovered from a combined scouting expedition in the United States on the Easter weekend.

He said it is hoped that they will help push the locally-based players ahead of the two tournaments as there will be no available FIFA window to boost their preparation.

Providing the players with an update on Thursday, Eve said: “We have about seven players who are eligible to play because of their parentage, they’re working on their passports, they are quality players coming out of teams like Schalke, Monchengladbach, Oviedo in Germany, Arsenal and one at Norwich City in the EPL. Camaraderie and building cohesion in the group is important because, as I just said, we’re bringing players from all different parts of the world and we need to bring them into a camp environment to let the group gel. Let them come and familiarise themselves with each other. Some of the guys would have never been to Trinidad and Tobago before, so this is the time for them to eat doubles and get to know the country they want to represent.”

He continued, “It’s all about team building and getting the right group of players so that they can compete with each other whether it be local or foreign so that when we pick the final team we have the best team representing T&T.”

Four players were shortlisted to join the T&T squad on Tuesday ahead of the CONCACAF U-20 Championship in Honduras. They include Noah Roka, a wing-back/central defender of Austrian club FC Stadieu; Wayne Fredericks, a forward of Bethesda FC and St Alban’s High School; Tyrell Moore, a forward of Atlanta United and Curtis De Leon, a central midfielder who has already represented T&T at the U-17 level under former coach Stern John.

Carrington noted that there were more players for the U-17 category that showed promise in Fort Lauderdale and they will continue to be monitored.

T&T prepares for Group F action alongside Mexico, Haiti and Suriname. The top three teams in the group advance to the round of 16, where they will be joined by the four teams advancing from the 2021 CONCACAF U-20 Championship qualifying.

Unlike the previous editions, the competition will determine not only the four CONCACAF representatives at the 2023 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Indonesia but also the two CONCACAF representatives at the 2024 Summer Olympics.

Assistant coach Reynold Carrington has described the recent Player Combines that were staged in Washington DC and Fort Lauderdale, USA as “beneficial” towards the Under-20 Men’s Team programme ahead of the 2022 CONCACAF U-20 Men’s Championship.

“This was definitely a beneficial exercise. The main purpose of this exercise was for us the coaches to get a clearer idea of the level of players based in the United States and Canada. We constantly hear or read about the guys out there but unless they are playing in the top-level leagues, it is sometimes difficult to keep tabs on them. Now with the help of the talent identification teams and the groups in places such as DC and Florida we have a better chance to scout and have a better look at the players,” Carrington explained.

A total of 78 players, either eligible to represent T&T through parentage or place of birth, were seen in DC (48 players) and Fort Lauderdale (30). Carrington, a former national senior team captain was accompanied by U-20 Team manager Major Basil Thompson.

The senior Soca Warriors got some much-needed practice during the Courts Caribbean Football Classic that comprised Barbados, Guyana and T&T at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo. The Soca Warriors won by defeating Barbados 9-0 and a 1-1 draw with Guyana to win the Cup on March 30.

Eve pointed out that following that series the players were sent back to their respective clubs but they will be resuming preparation on Tuesday.

With no opportunity for international preparation, the coach said he will do what all other teams would do: “We do not have another international window before the tournament so what we have to do is continue to scout like any other country. You scout the players and then you call in a squad that will go to the tournament. We will assemble like five days before the first match, then work with that group of players before going into the first game against Nicaragua. The good thing about that is that we can bring in players, it’s not like a tournament, so we can pick a 23 for one game and pick a different group for another game because the games are really tight in between.”

Apart from Nicaragua and St Vincent and the Grenadines, T&T has been drawn in Group C of Nations League B alongside the Bahamas which drew goalless with T&T which was coached by Terry Fenwick for the World Cup Qualifiers last year.

The team that emerges from the group campaign will earn automatic qualification to the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2023.

Players invited U-20 Men’s Training Camp

Jaron Pascal, Josiah Cooper (Naparima College), Tristan Edwards, Christian Bailey, Jose Attong (Fatima College), Isaiah Edwards (Aroma North Comprehensive), Lendell Sween (San Juan North), Jaheil Faustin (Trinity East), Kareem Warner (Signal Hill Comprehensive), Marvin Waldrop, Kylon Braithwaite, Quincy Winchester, Daniel Richards, (Club Sando), Joshua Lewis, J’Lon Matthews (San Juan Jabloteh), Nigel Carraby, Jerrel Sandiford, Tyrik Lee (W Connection), Shervohnez Hamilton (Petit Valley Utd), Luke Phillip (Deportivo Point Fortin), Real Gill , Kaihim Thomas, Emmanuel Thomas ((La Horquetta Rangers), Josiah Wilson – currently training with Cercle Brugge K.S.V (Belgium), Dantaye Gilbert – currently training with FC Malaga City (Spain), Nathaniel James (Unattached),Rushon Sandy – Patuxent Football Athletics (USA), Isaiah Thompson – Unattached (UK), Molik Khan – Minnesota Utd (USA), Caleb Borneo (Columbus Crew, USA), Tarik Trotman – Hartford Community College, USA), Roald Mitchell – Wake Forest University/NY Redbulls, USA), Jeremy Lashley – FC Edmonton,Canada), Jason Christian Gajadhar – Vaughn Soccer Club, Canada), Diego Nanton – International Centre for European Football, France), Alessandro Sipaque ( Plainfield High School,USA).

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TRIALS ENGLISH TEAMS, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO STRIKER, JABARI CHRISTMAS,
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »
https://www.tonys-soccer-school.net/football-trial-players-league-table-division-18/11595-trials-english-teams-trinidad-and-tobago-striker-jabari-christmas.html

Jabari Christmas
Your Nationality : Trinidad and Tobago
Best Position : Striker
Current Club : Bromley FC Juniors U9 Ravens
Previous Clubs : No previous clubs
Which Club you want a trials for : Chelsea FC Trial and Academy, Crystal Palace FC Academy, Fulham FC Academy, Charlton Athletic Football,QPR, Arsenal
Country you live : United Kingdom
Tell us about your football history (Min 100 words) : 2010&2013- I started playing at Bromley Football Club -After School, Half Term and Summer Holiday Camps. In 2011&2012- Charlton Athletic Football Club-Half Term and Summer Holiday Camp. In 2012/2013-Signed with Bromley FC Juniors U8 Ravens,7-a-side league. From Nov 2013-Feb 2014- Weekly futsal training with futsal qualified coach
Write about your Playing Ability (Min 50 words) : 2012/2013-Club joined the season late, only played friendlies against other teams. I received Parents Player of the Year and Special Player Trophies at the club presentation day last season. In 2012 Langley Club Football Tournament-Received Silver Medal after team placed second. I attended Bromley Football Club Holiday Camp(August 2013) where I received Coach's Player of the Week.
Why should an Academy Director give you a trial (Min 50 words) : Tandridge Youth Football League 2013: Scored 1 goal against West Wickham Tigers(Team Won 3-1), 4 goals, 4 assists, against ZRF Juniors FC(Team won 9-0), 1 goal against LSportsC Wasps, 2 assists(team won 4-1) Cup U9 Autumn Shield Trophy Event Final-Second Place against Selsdon Junior Tigers(0-1) Scored 4 goals against West Wickham Lions(Team Won 5-2), Scored 2 goals against Eversley Rangers, 2 assists(Team Won 9-1) In addition to my stats above I am a good player, determined, hard working, follow instructions, have good listening skills and I am always willing to learn. I am both footed and I play several positions(Striker, Defender, Winger).

« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:32:47 PM by Trini _2026 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TRIALS ENGLISH TEAMS, TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO STRIKER, JABARI CHRISTMAS,
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2022, 07:32:12 PM »
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/under-18s-news/qpr-under-18s-sign-kieran-petrie-and-jabari-christmas/

QPR Under-18s have completed the signings of duo Kieran Petrie and Jabari Christmas.

Having begun his career with Premier League side Arsenal, Petrie worked with Gunners stars Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry before switching to Swansea City last summer.

During his time with Arsenal, the 17-year-old featured in one of BBC Sport’s Wonderkids series, which you can watch HERE to find out more information about our latest academy recruit.

Jabari Christmas, also 17, joins the R’s from the Kinetic Foundation following a successful trial with the academy.

Welcome, Kieran and Jabari!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 04, 2022, 05:56:10 PM »
http://www.football-talents.co.uk/Jacob_Mitchell_Bedeau-3_7-328155-2.html

https://www.burnleyfootballclub.com/player/jacob-bedeau

Biography
Centre back Bedeau joined the Clarets on a two-year deal in the summer of 2021 and linked up with Michael Jackson’s U23 side having come into the club with pedigree.

Starting out at Leyton Orient, Bedeau played at first-team level for Bury FC before making the switch to Aston Villa. Sc**thorpe United then acquired the centre back before he made the move to the Clarets.

His performances for the U23s at Turf Moor have since seen Bedeau earn a loan move to local League One outfit Morecambe, who he debuted for in an FA Cup tie away at Premier League side Tottenham

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 28, 2022, 06:10:08 PM »
https://www.qpr.co.uk/news/under-18s-news/qpr-under-18s-sign-kieran-petrie-and-jabari-christmas/

QPR Under-18s have completed the signings of duo Kieran Petrie and Jabari Christmas.

Having begun his career with Premier League side Arsenal, Petrie worked with Gunners stars Freddie Ljungberg and Thierry Henry before switching to Swansea City last summer.

During his time with Arsenal, the 17-year-old featured in one of BBC Sport’s Wonderkids series, which you can watch HERE to find out more information about our latest academy recruit.

Jabari Christmas, also 17, joins the R’s from the Kinetic Foundation following a successful trial with the academy.

Welcome, Kieran and Jabari!

https://www.qpr.co.uk/squads/under-18s/jabari-christmas/

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2022, 05:52:36 AM »
https://www.thefootballwonderkids.com/exclusives/youth-football-expert-reveals-all-on-super-qpr-signing-jabari-christmas/
Youth football expert reveals all on 'super' QPR signing Jabari Christmas
We’re delighted to welcome the founder of Kinetic Academy Harry Hudson as our exclusive columnist. Each week the youth football expert will be giving his views on the biggest talking points on wonderkids across the UK…

Queens Park Rangers recently announced the signing of Jabari Christmas and youth football expert Harry Hudson knows him well.

The 17-year-old was a part of Hudson’s Kinetic Academy, which provides young people with the platform to chase their footballing dreams, prior to joining the R’s this summer.

Christmas also had an extended trial at Rangers in Scotland last summer but the Light Blues opted not to offer him a professional contract despite having two previous Kinetic alumnae in their ranks (Joe Aribo and Kevin Ciobotaru).

The teenager will begin working with the Under-18s side at first and Hudson loves what he sees on the pitch as he gave us the lowdown.

“Jabari is a super technical player,” Hudson told The Football Wonderkids. “He was very, very close to signing at Rangers last summer.

“He was there for probably eight to 10 weeks and they decided not to take him but since then he’s taken a big step and improved.

“He’s really comfortable on the ball and he’s got quite a continental style in that he’s tall and rangy but really composed.

“He’s got a great range of pass, loves a nutmeg and a bit of a set-piece specialist too.”

Christmas became the 57th graduate of the Kinetic programme which has now seen 59 players go on to earn a professional contract.

He was announced by QPR alongside former Arsenal youngster Keiran Petrie as the academy gained strength in depth at the Kiyan Prince Foundation Stadium.

In other Kinetic Academy news, Aribo is perhaps the biggest name to emerge from Hudson’s foundation and he cannot be prouder of the Nigerian.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 04, 2022, 07:30:08 PM »
Ty Barnett wolverhampton wanderers

Offline KevansE99

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 10, 2023, 08:26:12 AM »
Rico Lewis getting games for Man City is just the start. I think 2023 man city will play 3-5 more kids from their academy. Oscar Bobb is prime for promotion and the left back Tomas Galvez could be needed in fixture crunch. James Mcatee and Morgan Rogers are already epl standard. Just to name a few.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2023, 04:38:50 AM by KevansE99 »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2023, 04:16:32 AM »
Rico Lewis getting games for Man City is just the start. I think 2023 man city will play 3-5 more kids from their academy. Oscar Bobb is prime for promotion and the left back Tomas Galvez could be needed in fixture crunch. James Mcatee and Morgan Rogers are already epl standard. Just to name a few.

Are these players eligible for trinidad?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 12, 2023, 12:06:05 PM »
Eve: Trinidad and Tobago law shrinking football talent pool
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday)

English League One defender Ryan Inniss of Charlton Athletic FC is one of several European-based players who have impressed Trinidad and Tobago men's football coach Angus Eve but who do not meet the legal requirements to earn a national call-up.

This is because Chapter two, section 17 (ii) of the T&T Constitution states that “A person shall not become a citizen of T&T, if at the time of his birth – (a) neither of his parents is a citizen of T&T.”

This law, Soca Warriors head coach Angus Eve said, is detrimental and hampering the expansion of T&T football, and its player pool, while smaller nations capitalise on available players and move forward.

He said the majority of other Caribbean territories can invite players whose grandparents have local lineage, to represent their nation on the international stage.

T&T, however, is limited to calling on players whose parent/s have T&T lineage.

In international football and other sports, it is common for players who would find it difficult to break into the national team of their birth country to seek other options through naturalisation or eligibility via ancestral lineage.

Eve, a former senior team captain, addressed the issue at Wednesday’s senior team training session at Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

With the 2026 FIFA World Cup, hosted by the US, Canada and Mexico, set to feature 48 nations instead of 32, Eve believes T&T’s chance of making its second World Cup appearance has increased.

He said the chances could be even more favourable if the law is changed to help widen the talent pool.

Eve said, “Jamaica has about 15 new players; Curacao are bringing in a lot of players from Holland; French Guiana doing the same; and Grenada are doing the same.

“We are the only country, because of our laws we cannot bring people in whose grandparents are Trinidadian.

“Yesterday we watched Ryan Inniss play, and he has always been on the radar for T&T. But his grandfather is the Trinidadian and Ryan’s father was born in England.”

Eve drew reference to Poland right-back Matty Cash, who was born in England but represented Poland at the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.

“Teams like Poland with Matty Cash, whose grandparents were Polish. His mom and him (Cash) were born in England, but he was allowed to play based on his lineage. We don’t have that here. Same thing for Jamaica, they can do that and all these other nations,” Eve added.

Currently, Eve is preparing a group of over 30 locally-based footballers for the Concacaf Nations League which kicks off in March. T&T play their opening match on March 24, away to Bahamas – the team which kicked TT out of its 2022 World Cup qualification.

They play their second match against Nicaragua at home, at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Tobago.

On his team’s chances at the Nations League, Eve replied, “Well, we’re at the bottom right now. We lost to Caribbean countries in World Cup qualifying, you cannot get much lower than that.

“This is a rebuilding stage, a very young group of players with a couple seniors sprinkled in there. We’re building to the 2026 World Cup.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 20, 2023, 07:21:06 AM »
No constitutional change needed for football
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

The idea of making amendments or changes to the T&T Constitution on its immigration laws, in the interest of strengthening the country’s chances of competing in world football, was quickly shot down by former Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews on Tuesday.

Gandhi-Andrews responded to concerns by national football coach Angus Eve at a recent training session, that the country’s immigration laws are archaic and have been a stumbling block in their attempts to recruit players who live in other countries but have T&T parentage.

English-born Ryan Inniss, a professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for EFL League One club Charlton Athletic, has been on the radar of national coaches Terry Fenwick and Eve as one of many players who potentially can represent the Soca Warriors. Both have been prevented from securing his services because the citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality.

On Tuesday she said, “Our citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality. The only country that I am familiar with for the grandparents to pass down nationality is the UK, but our constitution only allows for citizenship to be passed down one generation. So for example, a citizen of T&T has a child abroad, that child will be a dual citizen and he can’t pass citizenship down to his child.”

Gandhi-Andrews assured that Eve can explore the “Citizens Act” route where he can find a solution to his concerns, but she scoffed at the idea of constitutional change, saying: “I don’t think that warrants us changing the constitution for a handful of people really, and that’s my personal opinion because it is really just a handful of people. Plus I am firm in the view that we have really talented people here who can be tapped into, who were born right here in T&T. And while they may not have had the experience of being trained in a foreign country or not, I do believe we have the talent here.”

“Most countries have shied away from citizenship going down generations but we do have provisions under the citizenship act. In Section 5 of the citizenship act, you will see who can be registered as a citizen of T&T, in terms of a minor child, where the child has to take the oath of allegiance before they become an adult between 18-19. The only way an adult can be a citizen of T&T is if they were born to a citizen of T&T,” Gandhi-Andrews explained.

However, Eve, who admitted he did not want to engage in a war of words with anyone, highlighted authentic statistics which showed that more than half of the Moroccan team was born in another country; 38 per cent of players on Tunisia’s team were born in France; and Uruguay, Iran, Belgium, Costa Rica, Denmark, England, Japan, Mexico and the Netherlands have four percent of foreign-based players.

The statistics were also followed by a note by Eve that said: “This is what those with power to change the Constitution don’t understand.”

Eve and the Soca Warriors are preparing for two more matches to secure the win in Group C of the CONCACAF Nations League which will see them being elevated to Group ‘A’ and ensure qualification to the CONCACAF Gold Cup next year.

The Soca Warriors will first take on the Bahamas on March 24 away before returning home to the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago to face Nicaragua in their final match on March 27.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 20, 2023, 08:42:57 AM »

The idea of making amendments or changes to the T&T Constitution on its immigration laws, in the interest of strengthening the country’s chances of competing in world football, was quickly shot down by former Immigration Officer Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews on Tuesday.

Gandhi-Andrews responded to concerns by national football coach Angus Eve at a recent training session, that the country’s immigration laws are archaic and have been a stumbling block in their attempts to recruit players who live in other countries but have T&T parentage.

English-born Ryan Inniss, a professional footballer who plays as a centre-back for EFL League One club Charlton Athletic, has been on the radar of national coaches Terry Fenwick and Eve as one of many players who potentially can represent the Soca Warriors. Both have been prevented from securing his services because the citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality.

On Tuesday she said, “Our citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality. The only country that I am familiar with for the grandparents to pass down nationality is the UK, but our constitution only allows for citizenship to be passed down one generation. So for example, a citizen of T&T has a child abroad, that child will be a dual citizen and he can’t pass citizenship down to his child.”

Gandhi-Andrews assured that Eve can explore the “Citizens Act” route where he can find a solution to his concerns, but she scoffed at the idea of constitutional change, saying: “I don’t think that warrants us changing the constitution for a handful of people really, and that’s my personal opinion because it is really just a handful of people. Plus I am firm in the view that we have really talented people here who can be tapped into, who were born right here in T&T. And while they may not have had the experience of being trained in a foreign country or not, I do believe we have the talent here.”

“Most countries have shied away from citizenship going down generations but we do have provisions under the citizenship act. In Section 5 of the citizenship act, you will see who can be registered as a citizen of T&T, in terms of a minor child, where the child has to take the oath of allegiance before they become an adult between 18-19. The only way an adult can be a citizen of T&T is if they were born to a citizen of T&T,” Gandhi-Andrews explained.

However, Eve, who admitted he did not want to engage in a war of words with anyone, highlighted authentic statistics which showed that more than half of the Moroccan team was born in another country; 38 per cent of players on Tunisia’s team were born in France; and Uruguay, Iran, Belgium, Costa Rica, Denmark, England, Japan, Mexico and the Netherlands have four percent of foreign-based players.

The statistics were also followed by a note by Eve that said: “This is what those with power to change the Constitution don’t understand.”

Eve and the Soca Warriors are preparing for two more matches to secure the win in Group C of the CONCACAF Nations League which will see them being elevated to Group ‘A’ and ensure qualification to the CONCACAF Gold Cup next year.

The Soca Warriors will first take on the Bahamas on March 24 away before returning home to the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago to face Nicaragua in their final match on March 27.

I hope Eve really not as dense as this article make him out to be, lumping together all "foreign born" - whether born to citizen parents or citizen grandparents.
The solution to Ryan Innis or similar situation (as far as the article make the situation out to be) is to get his parent to apply for citizenship (via their parent -- the citizen grandparent), and then apply for yours.  I would be for a policy of fast-tracking this process in a bundle for any "good enough" potential athlete.
For the case of dead or estranged non-citizen-but-citizen-eligible parents, that might be a hard luck scenario [and the link to T&T mightn't be strong enough to warrant anyway--they just in it for themselves at that point]. Dead grandparents might be more understandable, and with enough activity from citizen-eligible parents, I think should fast-track as well.
The elephant in the room is creating any tiny hole for something we can all agree is good, being used for bobool down the line.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2023, 08:03:30 AM »

On Tuesday she said, “Our citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality. The only country that I am familiar with for the grandparents to pass down nationality is the UK
, but our constitution only allows for citizenship to be passed down one generation. So for example, a citizen of T&T has a child abroad, that child will be a dual citizen and he can’t pass citizenship down to his child.”

::) ::) ::)

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2023, 08:29:01 AM »

On Tuesday she said, “Our citizenship laws only allow for one generation to have dual nationality. The only country that I am familiar with for the grandparents to pass down nationality is the UK
, but our constitution only allows for citizenship to be passed down one generation. So for example, a citizen of T&T has a child abroad, that child will be a dual citizen and he can’t pass citizenship down to his child.”

Yeah bredda, the "plus I am of the firm view that we have really talented people here..." gave me a good chuckle.
Not to cast aspersions, but talk about a CLUELESS comment, smfh.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 09:40:00 AM by Fyzoman »
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 23, 2023, 05:30:12 AM »

Yeah bredda, the "plus I am of the firm view that we have really talented people here..." gave me a good chuckle.
Not to cast aspersions, but talk about CLUELESS comment, smfh.

Most if not  all other islands  someone  can get citizenship through grandparents .  Is a fact we are missing out on players eve eh lying this article  intention was to imply eve is saying them locals eh good enough . Look at what Suriname did just let them get their house in order.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 23, 2023, 08:18:44 AM »
Why Charmaine Gandhi-Andrews doh hall she mudda cunny...

The foreign born players are developing our locals on a stand still, we don't even have a pro league and a SSFL last one month.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #113 on: February 01, 2023, 06:01:39 PM »

Not to cast aspersions, but talk about CLUELESS comment, smfh.

Most if not  all other islands  someone  can get citizenship through grandparents .  Is a fact we are missing out on players eve eh lying this article  intention was to imply eve is saying them locals eh good enough . Look at what Suriname did just let them get their house in order.

We have a high number of low IQ individuals running our nation, sadly...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 03, 2023, 04:12:40 PM »
I just reading the Daily Mail about Taylor Booth, a young American playing for Utrecht who is attracting some attention. From Wiki:

Booth was born in Eden, Utah, to Kelli (née Carver) and Chad Booth, both collegiate soccer players. Through his father's Italian heritage, he was able to obtain an Italian passport, allowing him to move to Germany at 17. Booth was born with torticollis, which required physical therapy as an infant. He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

So what I take from this is that one of his dad's parents is Italian. Meaning that Taylor booth got his Euro passport thru that grandparent.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 03, 2023, 08:35:47 PM »
I just reading the Daily Mail about Taylor Booth, a young American playing for Utrecht who is attracting some attention. From Wiki:

Booth was born in Eden, Utah, to Kelli (née Carver) and Chad Booth, both collegiate soccer players. Through his father's Italian heritage, he was able to obtain an Italian passport, allowing him to move to Germany at 17. Booth was born with torticollis, which required physical therapy as an infant. He is a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

So what I take from this is that one of his dad's parents is Italian. Meaning that Taylor booth got his Euro passport thru that grandparent.

Deeks, gaining citizenship via grandparents is normal in Europe. Britain, Portugal, and Italy are just a few examples. In Germany you can even qualify via great-grandparents.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 03, 2023, 09:37:00 PM »

Deeks, gaining citizenship via grandparents is normal in Europe. Britain, Portugal, and Italy are just a few examples. In Germany you can even qualify via great-grandparents.

I am responding to the TT immigration official who claims that only the UK uses grandparents rule. But as You just pointed that this has been normal in Europe for ages.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 09:45:14 PM by Deeks »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2023, 06:08:34 AM »

Vancouver FC sign Canadian left-back Kahlil John-Wentworth
2023-01-12
NEWS  VFC

Langley, BC – (January 12, 2023) – Vancouver FC today announces Kahlil John-Wentworth as the fourth player to sign with the club ahead of its inaugural season in the Canadian Premier League.

John-Wentworth, 21, most recently represented Simcoe County Rovers in League1 Ontario’s Men’s Premier Division, where he logged 1140 minutes over the course of the 2022 regular season and competed in the first two playoff matches in club history. John-Wentworth scored one goal for Rovers in 2022 and was named to the League1 Ontario Team of the Week in Week 14.

He possesses the versatility to play all over the field, including as a left-back, at wingback or in midfield.

“I am very excited to begin my professional career with Vancouver FC,” said John-Wentworth. “I look forward to learning from Afshin and the players around me as I get a feel for this next level of soccer, and to participate in the special experience that is playing for a club in its first season.”

Prior to his time with Simcoe County, John-Wentworth represented Vaughan Azzurri in League1 Ontario in 2021. He played collegiate soccer with Durham College in Oshawa, Ont. in 2019-2020, one of the most successful seasons in program history that culminated in the program’s first Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association national championship banner.

John-Wentworth later transferred to Murray State College in Tishomingo, Oklahoma, where he represented the Aggies in National Junior College Athletic Association Division 1 play in his sophomore season in 2021. He was named first team all-region that May, after scoring six goals and adding five assists.

“Kahlil is an up-and-coming talent, who possesses great pace and a skilled left foot to go with his ability to create action on the field,” said Afshin Ghotbi, Head Coach, Vancouver FC. “I am looking forward to seeing him develop at this level and believe he has the skills necessary for a bright future in the league and for his country.”

John-Wentworth joins goalkeeper Callum Irving, midfielder Elliot Simmons and striker Mamadou Kane on Vancouver’s ever-expanding roster, becoming the first player to sign with the club in 2023.

“Kahlil is another exciting young addition to our roster, with huge potential as an emerging player,” said Rob Friend, CEO, Vancouver FC. “We are just getting started when it comes to expanding our roster this year and are looking forward to sharing in the excitement of each and every announcement with our fans as we eagerly prepare for our first season in the league.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 03, 2023, 11:13:36 AM »
I imagine there's a Trini parent in there somewhere.
It's a good sign that he was nowhere around last year's USA U-20 when they won the CONCACAF championship, that gives us some hope :)
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>