April 16, 2024, 09:14:34 AM

Author Topic: 2023/24 TTPFL Thread  (Read 8441 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2023/24 TTPFL Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2024, 01:14:15 AM »
Point Fortin Civic tames Army 4-3.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

Andre Ettienne scored a long-range stunner after team-mate Ezekiel Kesar's hat-trick to secure a thrilling 4-3 win for Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic over defending champions Defence Force in the feature match of a double-header at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo on Saturday night.

With the loss, the Army/Coast-Guard combination which captured both league and knockout titles last season stayed third on the 11-club table with 26 points from 14 matches, four adrift of leaders AC Port-of-Spain who have a match in hand as well held to short 2-2 draw by previously pointless Central FC on Friday night, while Miscellaneous Police is second with 28 points following a 1-1 draw with Tiger Tanks Club Sando also on Friday.

At Mucurapo, the clash between Defence Force and Point Fortin Civic got off to a frenetic start with an on-target Hughton Hector free-kick through a five-man wall being brilliantly kept out by goalkeeper Christopher Biggette diving low to his right, only for the rebound to fall right into the path of the onrushing Kesar who tucked away the ball into an open net for a 1-0 lead in the eighth minute.

A few minutes later Biggette was called into action again, but this time he did much better, diving full stretch to his left to keep out a low drive from Rondell Phillip that was destined for the bottom corner of the goal.

At the other end of the field, in a similar fashion to Civic's opener, a long-range right-footed stinging free-kick from Nathaniel Garcia was parried down by goalkeeper Terrence Lewis and Shaquille Holder was first to react to stab home the rebound to get the Army/Coast-Guard combination on even terms in the 25th minute.

Five minutes later, Holder was tripped over in the 18-yard box by defender Brent Plenty, and from the 12-yard spot, Matthew Woo Ling slotted in a left-footed effort with Lewis going the wrong way for a 2-1 Defence Force lead.

Rivaldo Coryat, was then denied a chance to extend Defence Force's advantage with Lewis keeping out his fierce left-footed blast on the first post smartly kept out by Lewis, and two minutes before the interval, Civic managed to level the match at 2-2 with a bit of fortune when a left-footed effort from former India-based striker Marcus Joseph, took a wicked deflection off of team-mate Kesar, wrong-footing Biggette and into the net to the delight of the southerners for both teams to go into the interval level.

Within two minutes after the restart, the Reynold Carrington-coached Civic regained the lead at 3-2 when a right-sided cross managed to find the feet of an unmarked Kesar who curled a left-footed effort into the far right corner past the full stretch dive of Biggette.

Defence Force's Shaquille Bertrand then headed overbar from a Woo Ling corner to draw Defence Force level in the 67th minute while Isaiah Thompson missed a chance for Civic's fourth goal four minutes later firing onto the base of the right post from less than ten yards out after a weaving solo-run, with Kesar firing the rebound into the side netting from an acute angle.

Three minutes later, Defence Force made Civic pay for that missed effort when a failed attempt at a clearance by defender Justin Cornwall fell to an unmarked Kaihim Thomas, who replaced Bertrand in the 72nd minute, and he hammered home the loose ball to level the match at 3-3.

But there was still another twist to the contest, as after another n0-call for a foul on Woo Ling was waived off by Sobers, the clearance upfield fell to Andre Ettienne in his own half, and after taking two touches on the ball, the latter rifled a shot from about 50 yards over the head of a Biggette who was off his life to nestle into the back of the net to snatch the lead again at 4-3.

The Army/Coast-Guard combination then pushed numbers forward in search of yet another equaliser with Leshawn Roberts heading overbar from about eight yards out to squander his team's final chance, and hand Civic the win.

In the opening match at Mucurapo, Kevon 'Showtime' Woodley netted a second-half brace in the 57th and 75th minute while former national defender Carlyle Mitchell also netted in the 70th in their 3-0 defeat of Eagles FC,

And yesterday, at the Dwight Yorke Stadium, Bacolet, Prison Service got goals from Juma Clarence in the 24th, and Trevis Byron in the 91st minute to blank host 1976 FC Phoenix, who entered the match on the back of impressive wins over Defence Force (2-0), and Terminix La Horquetta Rangers (2-1) respectively.

The league now takes an 11-day break for the FIFA International Match Window during which time T&T faces Canada on March 23 in the Copa America Play-in match in Texas, USA from 4 pm.

Weekend's Results

Sunday

Prison Service 2 (Juma Clarence 24th, Trevis Byron 90+1) vs 1976 FC Phoenix 0

Saturday

Caledonia FC 3 (Kevon Woodley 57th, 75th, Carlyl Mitchell 70th) vs Eagles FC 0

Point Fortin Civic 4 (Ezekiel Kesar 8th, 42nd, 47th, Andre Ettienne 85th) vs Defence Force 3 (Shaquille Holder 25th, Matthew Woo Ling 30th pen, Kaihim Thomas 83rd)

Friday

Central FC 2 (Saleem Henry 38th pen, Dominic Douglas 56th) vs AC Port-of-Spain 2 (Che Benny 79th pen, Saydrel Lewis 81st)

Police 1 (Jamal Jack o.g 61st) vs Club Sando 1 (Jamal Jack 79th)

Latest Standings

Pos*Teams*P*W*D*L*F*A*Pts
1. AC PoS*13*9*3*1*36*14*30
2. Police*14*8*4*2*29*12*28
3. Defence Force*14*8*2*4*29*16*26
4. L.H. Rangers*14*7*2*5*27*20*23
5. Club Sando*14*6*4*4*20*16*22
6. Prison Service*15*7*0*8*22*30*21
7. Point Fortin Civic*14*5*5*4*22*15*20
8. 1976 Phoenix*13*5*1*7*18*24*16
9. Caledonia FC*14*4*4*6*21*20*16
10. FC Eagles*14*3*4*7*15*21*13
11. Central FC*15*0*1*14*8*57*1

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2024, 11:06:16 AM »
Defence Force's Shaquille Bertrand then headed overbar from a Woo Ling corner to draw Defence Force level in the 67th minute

Really !!!???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2024, 11:08:39 AM »
Anybody checking this matches. Kevon "Showtime" Woodley at times does show some crazy skills.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2024, 03:26:02 AM »
Chaves stretchered off after gruesome injury in Tier II match.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

T&T senior and Under-20 midfielder Michael Chaves of Queen’s Park Cricket Club (QPCC) was taken off the field on a stretcher during his team’s fiesty 2-1 loss against MIC Matura ReUnited in the T&T Premier Football League Tier II Division match in the second clash of a doubleheader at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Training Field, Mucurapo on Sunday night.

The 17-year-old, who featured for T&T at the recent CONCACAF U-20 Championship Pool D Qualifiers at Mucurapo and then made his senior team debut against Jamaica on March 1 in a 1-0 friendly international loss at the same venue, was stretchered off the field and taken to the St Clair Medical Complex, Port-of-Spain where he underwent successful surgery on the fractured left fibula injury, putting an end to what was a stellar season, which also included representing Fatima College in the 2023 Secondary Schools Football League Premier Division.

Matura ReUnited opened the scoring as early as the eighth minute through Daniel Rose, and in the 31st minute, the visitors doubled their advantage through Andrew Nicome.

However, two minutes later, the Parkites, who were without a number of key players inclusive of the influential Sean De Silva, managed to cut the lead in half when Winston Johnson netted.

But a minute before the half-time whistle both teams suffered a blow when Matura ReUnited’s Kwame Hazel was shown a straight red card by referee Rashby Mc Fie for a crunching tackle on Chaves.

In the second half, the Parkites were unable to make their player advantage count as Matura ReUnited held on for the win to climb to a four-way tie for the second spot, improving to 20 points from nine matches, level with the trio of Harlem Strikers, Central Soccer World and previous leader Petit Valley/Diego Martin United (PVDM) who went under to San Fernando Giants 2-0 in the first match at Mucurapo to trail table toppers Guaya United by one point.

Guaya United rallied from 0-2 down to beat the University of T&T Patriots 3-2 at UTT Campus Ground, O’Meara Road, Arima, in an early match on Sunday.

In the second match at Arima, Defence Force got an own goal from Keithen Carter in the 77th minute to draw 1-1 with Harlem Strikers who went ahead on the stroke of half-time thanks to Elijah Seechan.

Results

Sunday

Defence Force 1 (Keithen Carter 77th o.g) vs Harlem Strikers 1 (Elijah Seechan 45+1)

MIC Matura ReUnited 2 (Daniel Rose 8th, Andrew Nicome 31st) vs QPCC 1 (Winston Johnson 33rd)

San Fernando Giants 2 (Arkido Joseph 40th, Rayon Alleyne 90th) vs Petit Valley/Diego Martin 0

Guaya United 3 (Keston Frontin 39th, Kendes Garcia 78th, Renaldo Mc Intosh 85th pen) vs UTT Patriots 2 (Kevaughn Connell 7th, 19th)

Saturday

Laventille United 3 (Quanlanson Archibald 15th, 90+4, John Belgrave 88th) vs Cunupa Eagles FC 2 (Daniel Diaz 43rd, Jesse Downing 84th)

Bethel SC vs Central Soccer World 2 (Ryan Frederick 36th, Elijah Payne 90th) vs Bethel Utd 1 (Teejay Cadiz 45th)

Police FC 2 (Jameel Perry 80th, Clevon Mc Fee 90+6) vs Club Sando 1 (Gerald Meloney 35th)

Latest TTPFL Tier II standings

Pos Teams P W D L F A Pts
1 Guaya Utd 10 7 0 3 20 14 21
2 Harlem Strikers 11 6 2 3 29 13 20
3 Matura ReUnited 9 6 2 1 24 13 20
4 Central Soccer World 11 5 5 1 15 10 20
5 PVDM Utd 12 6 2 4 20 16 20
6 San F’do Giants 11 6 1 4 19 19 19
7 QPCC FC 10 6 0 4 24 11 18
8 Defence Force 10 4 3 3 25 9 15
9 RC Eagles 11 4 3 4 18 21 15
10 Police FC 9 3 2 4 7 9 11
11 RSSR FC 11 2 2 7 11 30 8
12 UTT 10 2 1 7 20 28 7
13 Laventille Utd 11 2 2 7 17 36 7
14 Bethel SC 6 1 2 3 8 11 5
15 Club Sando 8 1 2 5 10 26 5

RELATED NEWS

Under-20 Soca Warrior Michael Chaves has surgery for fractured leg
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday).

Trinidad and Tobago under-20 men's footballer and Fatima College student Michael Chaves will be sidelined for approximately three-six months after suffering a fractured leg during a TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) match.

The tier-two match was played at the Hasely Crawford Stadium training field, Mucurapo on March 17.

Playing for QPCC against the visiting MIC Matura United, the 17-year-old Chaves suffered the gruesome injury near the end of the first half, when he was on the receiving end of a rough tackle from Kwame Hazel as he made a run down the right wing. Players from both teams raised the alarm immediately to referee Rashby McPhie, before Chaves was stretchered off and eventually taken to St Clair Medical Centre.

Just before 1 am on March 18, the talented striker had successful surgery after being treated by Dr Sergiy Adonin.

QPCC coach Wayne Sheppard said Chaves suffered a fracture of the left fibula, and he said the outcome could have been worse if the tibia had been damage.

Sheppard said Chaves, described as "one of the best talents" in the local game at present, is in good spirits and he believes he has the mindset needed to bounce back from the injury.

"He's a strong youth. He has a great support system around him," Sheppard told Newsday.

After representing T&T's under-17 men's football team at the Concacaf under-17 championships last year, Chaves showed his worth to local football fans on home soil last month in the Concacaf under-20 men's championship qualifiers at the Hasely Crawford Stadium venue.

In T&T's first qualifying match against St Vincent and the Grenadines on February 23, Chaves came off the bench and scored a dramatic stoppage-time winner as the hosts grabbed a 3-2 comeback victory. In T&T's next game, against Dominica, two days later, Chaves scored the opening goal in T&T's resounding 5-0 win.

The young Soca Warriors did not advance to the Concacaf under-20 championships, though, as they fell to a 3-0 loss against Canada in their last group game when faced with a must-win situation.

A Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) premier division and national intercol winner with Fatima, Chaves was given his first senior cap by T&T head coach Angus Eve on March 1, when he came on as a second-half substitute for the Soca Warriors against Jamaica in a friendly fixture in Mucurapo.

Sheppard praised his players for the determination and will they showed to return to the field after Chaves' injury. And while he did not put the blame on Hazel, Sheppard said the players were not well protected by McPhie during the contest. Just before Hazel's tackle on Chaves, Sheppard said he and his technical staff were outraged by the nature of tackles by the opposition.

The QPCC coach was eventually red-carded after showing his displeasure with McPhie's handling of the match.

"Every single player who stepped on the field after that injury has my respect. It is not Christmas time in the camp right now for sure, but I must tip my hat...to those boys who went back out there," Sheppard said. "The referee did not have a command of the game at all."

QPCC lost the encounter 2-1, but Chaves' recovery is the most important thing for the Parkites at the moment.

Chaves was set to travel with the City FC team this week for the 2024 Jefferson Cup in the US. Sheppard said Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) is one of the many colleges eager to add the young T&T forward to their programme.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 01:43:21 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2024, 01:43:54 AM »
Queen's Park coach makes police report following football match.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

QUEEN'S PARK football coach Wayne Sheppard has made a report to the St James Police Station, following an incident that occurred between a referee and Sheppard after a player was badly injured.

Sheppard also reported the matter to the TT Football Referees Association and the TT Football Association.

Sheppard was not pleased with the performance of the referee.

He said, "I want the officials who taking charge of the game to be fit and ready to officiate the game, along with the guidelines that FIFA asked for and one of the things that FIFA said a match official's main duty is, is to protect the players," Sheppard said.

Sheppard said the referee in charge of the match has not been officiating at a high level for years. "That incident that happened to (named player), while everybody saying it's unfortunate, it is something that coming a long time. It is just that (named player) is the unfortunate player that it happened to."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2024, 11:56:11 AM »
From administrators to referees, respect is a two-way street
By Colin Murray (T&T Guardian)

Since my name has gone up to be on a slate for the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) elections, some have commented to me: “I see you throw your hat in the ring,” and, “Man, I am shocked you are going up for TTFA elections!”

I want to make a contribution to football in Trinidad and Tobago. It is easy to sit on the outside, criticise and speak or write about the ills plaguing football in the country without at least making an effort to fix them. I repeatedly asked myself if I thought long and hard about the road ahead. Who comprised the slate? Are they going to have the best interest of football as their priority, and what will this group’s philosophy be?

When it comes to ‘Trini to the bone,’ I fall into that category, and representing my country at cricket, and the region at the Under-19 level gave me great pride and joy. But, going to Germany to commentate on the games played by the Soca Warriors, as well as travelling to the games and seeing several fellow Trinis dressed in their national colours to support, gives me goosebumps up to today, especially when the national anthem was being played in that memorable game against Sweden.

Everyone must have a voice when it comes to Trinidad and Tobago football, and I have already been in discussions with the slate to ensure it will be an all-inclusive approach as it must be “we,” not “I” or “us” that has to change the face of football. Unfortunately, some dirty politics have already crept in, trying to tarnish people’s names, which is not how Team Progressive (as we call ourselves) will conduct the campaign. The team will focus on what we can bring to the table rather than wasting time trying to sully the opposition. For years, experience and good governance have been what football has been crying out for, and I believe the slate can provide just that. As we get closer to TTFA’s Election Day on April 13, more and more information will be supplied by the team.

Now, my heart bleeds for a young, promising Trinidad and Tobago U-20 and Queen’s Park Cricket Club (QPCC) footballer, Michael Chaves, whose leg was broken by a horrible tackle from a Matura Reunited defender on Sunday evening in a Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League Tier II game played at the training field of the Hasely Crawford Stadium. He lay on the ground in tears and in excruciating pain as I had experienced a similar injury playing the beautiful games years ago, so trust me, I knew just how this 18-year-old felt lying on the ground thinking, why me?

He was due to travel to the USA to audition for the Jefferson Cup, as many coaches would attend the tournament to seek out potential players and award them scholarships to colleges and universities. But he opted to play for QPCC before he left — I salute him for that, as he could so easily have sat on the sidelines and decided he was not playing any football until he went overseas. It is so unfortunate what has happened but thankfully, he has had successful surgery and will get another attempt in the future to showcase his talents and undoubtedly will get that scholarship that he yearns for.

What transpired in the aftermath of the incident with Chaves is what bothered me. The QPCC coach was sent off for something he said to the referee while over the grimacing Chaves, and it appeared that words were not just spoken between the coach and referee Rashby McPhie. Being present at the time, I went across to the rest of the technical staff of the QPCC bench just to try and calm their emotions and put the incident of what happened to Chaves out of their mind and give it their all and play to win for the injured Mikey (as they refer to him) who was being whisked away in a siren-blaring ambulance.

When I reached the players, they were outraged. They said that the referee said to them that they were “...weak and needed to eat more”. At that point, I was stunned. I do not know the referee personally, as I try to stay away from officials due to my commentary duties and my affiliation with a club, but I decided to approach him to ask him if that was true and to refrain from speaking to the players in that manner as it is not right and very unbecoming of a referee to tell a player or a team(s) that they are weak. It sounds peculiar to have to say this but referees are there to officiate football matches, not to comment on players and their skill levels during a match.

As they say, who sent me? Even though he admitted that he did make that remark that the players were “weak,” he claimed that it was not directed at the team (which they all denied). Instead, he singled out a player who was on the bench to whom he had said that. However, he was wrong and filled with an attitude stating the obvious that he was in charge rather than apologising and saying that his emotions got the better of him. Instead, I was told by a TTFA Match Official, “If you don’t like it, put it in the papers.” Well, Mr. McPhie, you got your wish.

I am very aware referees and umpires have the most difficult job in the world, especially with games being carried live on television and the ability to slow the game down and show replays, but they always say the best officials are the ones not heard or seen and admit they made a mistake. When I was standing on the sideline, I heard referee McPhie say to a Matura player: “Don’t tell me anything, shut your mouth!”

Again, I was stunned. Just as we expect certain standards from our players, we should expect certain standards from our referees, and by and large, even though club officials may not agree with me, they have been doing a good job in the Tier I division. But surely the standard of refereeing must also be very good in the Tier II division.

There was no referees’ assessor at the game, which was disrespectful to the Tier II teams. My advice to the man in charge of the whistle is to tone down your attitude, improve your fitness levels, and be well-respected by the players. Referees like Crystal Sobers, Cecile Hinds, and Kwinsi Williams all have an evidently good rapport with the players and are not often seen, far less heard. Perhaps referee McPhie needs to be made aware that respect is earned, not given on demand, and by the way, the players are not weak; ask Michael Chaves.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2024, 06:50:55 AM »
‘Showtime’ leads scorers
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Nearer to 40 than thirty 30, age nevertheless seems to be just a number to veteran striker Kevon “Showtime” Woodley.

Woodley, who turns 38 on July 6, is a former Trinidad and Tobago national beach soccer player and past top-scorer of the T&T Super League with 23 goals.

The Tobago-born Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA striker currently leads all scorers in the local professional football league with 12 goals from 11 matches played.

Woodley began the season with FC Eagles, before transferring to “Cale” in January.

What is ironic, that both teams which Woodley have played for this season sit among the bottom four teams in Tier One of the TTPFL.

Second among the scorers is Ezekiel Kesar of Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic, who has nine goals in 12 matches, inclusive of a hat-trick against champions Defence Force last time out.

Terminix La Horquetta Rangers veteran Tyronne Charles has eight goal from 16 appearances.

Also on eight goals is Isaiah Leacock, a transfer from Athletic Club PoS to Defence Force FC.

TTPFL FIXTURES:

(Today)

Tier One

4 p.m. —Tiger Tanks Club Sando vs Prison Service FC, Manny Ramjohn Stadium

6 p.m. —Terminex La Horquetta Rangers vs Central FC, La Horquetta Rec ground

6 p.m. — Athletic Club PoS vs Eagles FC, Arima Velodrome

8.10 p.m. — Caledonia FC vs Defence Force Elite, Arima Velodrome

6 p.m. — Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic vs Police FC, Mahaica Sporting Complex

TOP GOALSCORERS

TIER 1

12 Kevon Woodley (FC Eagles/Caledonia FC)

9 Ezekiel Kesar (Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic)

8 Tyrone Charles (Terminex LH Rangers); Isaiah Leacock (D/Force/AC PoS)

7 Brent Sam (D/Force FC)

6 Real Gill Club (Sando FC); Mickaeel Jem Gordon (FC Phoenix); Kadeem Corbin (Terminex LH Rangers/AC PoS)

5 Che Benny (AC PoS); Duane Muckette (AC PoS); (Sedale Mc Lean AC PoS)

TIER 2

9 Shackiel H.E. Henry (MIC Matura Reunited)

8 Kerin Vincent (MIC Matura Reunited); Sean De Silva (QPCC FC)

7 Kareem Baptiste (Harlem Strikers FC)

6 Dwight Quintero (D/Force FC); Akeil Thomas (PVDM Utd); Moses Jaikaran (Harlem Strikers); Dillon Gonzales (Club Sando FC); Kriron Manswell (PVDM Utd)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2024, 07:15:38 AM »
TTPFL leaders AC PoS leave it late against Eagles in 2-1 win
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

Late goals and dramatic endings were the order of the day when games in round 17 of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) were played on Wednesday, with table-toppers AC PoS (33 points) maintaining their two-point lead ahead of the chasing pack.

In the first game of a double-header versus Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) at the Arima Velodrome, AC PoS got help from the Spice Island as a pair of Grenadian attackers starred late in the contest to give them a 2-1 win.

In a tight contest, the tenth-placed Eagles (13 points) appeared to be heading for a point and a clean sheet on the back of a solid display from goalkeeper Miles Goodman. The Eagles shot-stopper made a total of six saves in the contest, including a terrific stop to thwart a diving header from AC PoS playmaker Duane Muckette in the second half.In the space of a minute, though, Goodman and Eagles' resistance was broken with two quick goals from the "Capital Boys." In the 86th minute, lanky Grenadian substitute Jamal Charles broke the deadlock when he headed past a hapless Goodman from point-blank range following a right-side corner by John-Paul Rochford.

A minute later, AC PoS doubled their advantage when Eagles defender Joshua Ragoo turned into his own goal following a slick exchange down the right between Muckette and Grenadian winger Saydrel Lewis.

AC PoS' pair of quick goals secured the three points, but they endured a nervy few minutes to close out the game after Ragoo scored with a neat close-range finish in the 89th minute aftera determined foray into the attacking third.

In the second game of the Arima double-header, reigning champions Defence Force (27 points) continued their stuttering run of form as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Caledonia (17 points).

In a game which was starved of clear-cut chances, Defence Force took the lead in the 62nd minute when their star striker Brent Sam scored with a clinical left-footed finish mere seconds after coming off the bench. Sam, who only resumed training with Defence Force last Monday after a two-week trial in Vietnam, looked to be taking his team to victory with his ninth goal of the campaign.

The Army, who fell to a dramatic 4-3 loss to Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic in the previous round on March 16, were again punished late as they dropped precious points once more when Caledonia substitute Phillip Tinto tied the game at 1-1 apiece with a precise header in stoppage-time.

At the Mahaica Sporting Complex, the home team Point Fortin (20 points) were involved in another free-scoring thriller when they lost 3-2 to the second-placed Miscellaneous Police FC (31 points).

Police got a double before the hour mark from midfielder Joevin Jones and they held a 2-1 lead heading into the final ten minutes of the encounter. Josiah Wilson then made it 3-1 for Police in the 89th minute, before Daniel Jones scored a minute later for Civic as the game concluded in a frantic manner.

At the Phase 2 La Horquetta recreation grounds, the fans were treated to an intriguing eight-goal affair as the fourth-placed Terminix La Horquetta Rangers (24 points) and the cellar-placed Central FC played to a 4-4 draw.

Central held a 3-1 lead at the half, but Rangers staged a spirited comeback in the second half and veteran attacker Tyrone Charles scored deep into stoppage-time to salvage a point.

Elsewhere, fifth-placed Tiger Tanks Club Sando (25 points) got their seventh win of the season when they beat Prisons FC 2-1 at the Manny Ramjohn Stadium in Marabella.

TTFPL tier one standings:

Team*GP*W*D*L*GF*GA*GD*Pts

1.AC PoS*14*10*3*1*38*15*23*33

2.Police FC*15*9*4*2*32*14*18*31

3.Defence Force FC*15*8*3*4*28*17*11*27

4.La Horquetta Rangers*15*7*3*5*31*24*7*24

5 Club Sando*15*7*4*4*22*17*5*25

6.Prisons FC*16*7*0*9*23*32*-9*21

7.Point Fortin Civic*15*5*5*5*24*18*6*20

8.Caledonia*15*4*5*6*22*21*1*17

9.1976 FC Phoenix*13*5*1*7*18*24*-6*16

10.Eagles FC*15*3*4*8*16*23*-7*13

11.Central FC*16*0*2*14*12*61*-49*2

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2024, 10:36:43 AM »
Club Sando whip Phoenix 5-2, move to third in TTPFL.

TIGER Tanks Club Sando (28 points) jumped to third spot on the TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) standings on Wednesday evening when they got a huge 5-2 win away to 1976 FC Phoenix at the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago in the day’s early fixture.

Club Sando held a slender 1-0 lead heading into the halftime interval following a 38th-minute goal from striker Shackiel Henry.

The second half proved to be a different altogether, as a whopping six goals were scored and the Club Sando team were able to leave the sister isle with three points.

Mickaeel "Jem" Gordon scored within seconds of the restart to tie the game at 1-1, but Club Sando responded swiftly as they scored three times within a 16-minute span to jump out to a 4-1 lead by the 62nd minute.

Henry notched his second goal of the game, his fellow striker Nicholas Dillon also found the back of the net, and inform Tobago-born defender Jamal Jack got his name on the scoresheet to sully the ninth-placed Phoenix (16 points) team.

The strapping Dillon scored his second goal of the game in the 77th minute as Club Sando opened up an unassailable 5-1 lead. Phoenix midfielder Adriel George got a late consolation as they slipped to their eighth loss of the campaign.

Four other TTPFL games were scheduled to be played after press time on Wednesday.

At the Arima Velodrome, Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) tackled Terminix La Horquetta Rangers, while Prisons FC faced Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic.

Meanwhile, the TTPFL’s top two teams were scheduled to take the field at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

The second-placed Miscellaneous Police FC played Caledonia, while leaders AC PoS took on reigning champions Defence Force.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #69 on: April 06, 2024, 06:36:25 AM »
Police edge Caledonia late, move to TTPFL summit.

WITH four games left to go in their 2023/24 TT Premier Football League (TTPFL) campaign, Miscellaneous Police FC moved to the top of the 11-team table with a dramatic 2-1 comeback victory against Caledonia at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo on Wednesday night.

Police moved up to 34 points from 16 games, placing them one point above former league leaders AC PoS, who have played a total of 15 games and were dealt their second loss of the season on Wednesday.

Three of the four top teams in the TTPFL featured in the Hasely Crawford double-header, and Police left it extremely late against Caledonia to get three points in the opening match.

Caledonia took the lead in the 58th minute through their talisman and TTPFL top-scorer Kevon “Showtime” Woodley, who grabbed his 13th goal of the campaign when he sent Police skipper Adrian Foncette the wrong way with a penalty.

The eighth-placed Caledonia team appeared to be edging towards a win, but Police stole the opposition team’s joy late on through contributions from Alvin Jones, substitute Kareem Freitas, and a touch of good luck.

The bombarding Jones found defender Robert Primus with a searching cross from the right flank in the 88th minute, and Freitas slid in a right-footed shot from close range to tie the scores at 1-1.

Four minutes later, Police again found favor from a devious right-side cross from Jones, as a Caledonia defender inadvertently turned the ball into the net to give the lawmen all three points at the death.

Police’s win took them past AC PoS on the TTPFL table before the latter team clashed with reigning champions Defence Force in the second game of the doubleheader. By the end of 90 minutes in the tense affair, Army were standing tall in Mucurapo as they blanked the “Capital Boys” by a 2-0 margin to get a deserved victory.

Both teams lacked quality and fluidity in a mostly pedestrian first half, with the best chance arguably falling to Defence Force midfielder Jamell Cooper, who sprayed an effort wide of goal in the ninth minute after receiving a precise pass from the left flank.

AC PoS also fashioned a decent chance in the 31st minute through Sedale McLean, but custodian Christopher Biggette made a save away to his right to preserve the goalless scoreline.

Tempers flared toward the end of the first half when players from both teams squared up in the AC PoS’ penalty area following a set piece. However, referee Andrew Samuel kept his cards to himself.

Defence Force started brightly in the second half, and they sent an early warning shot to AC PoS in the 51st minute when Shaquille Bertrand shot over the bar after cutting in from the left.

In the 55th minute, Bertrand made a more telling contribution on a swift counter-attack as he squared for fellow flanker Kendell Hitlal, who beat retired Soca Warriors goalie Marvin Phillip with a precise right-footed shot to give Army a 1-0 lead.

Just four minutes later, Cooper spurned a great one-on-one chance when he shot straight at Phillip after being played through on goal by Brent Sam. Defence Force survived a scare of their own just past the hour-mark as Biggette made a fine save to keep out a firm shot from substitute John-Paul Rochford.

Biggette’s save proved to be a timely one in the encounter, as the Army put the game to bed in clinical fashion in the 80th minute when attacker Dylon King stylishly passed his shot into the net at the end of a rapid counter involving fellow substitute Isaiah Leacock. Army’s win took them up to third spot and pushed them to 30 points from 16 matches – four points adrift of new table-toppers Police.

At the Arima Velodrome, Eagles FC (16 points) got their fourth win of the season when they stunned Terminix La Horquetta Rangers (24 points) 4-3 courtesy a brace from Joshua Alexander.

In the other encounter at the Velodrome, Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic (23 points) moved up to sixth spot on the table with a 1-0 win over Prisons FC (21 points).

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2024, 07:34:50 PM »
Phoenix rises to 3-0 win over Central FC
By Jovan Ravello (T&T Guardian)

Tobago's 1976 FC Phoenix shut out Central FC 3-0 to take a valuable three points in the early kick-off of T&T Premier Football League (TTPFL) Matchweek 19 at the Phase 2 Recreation Ground in La Horquetta, Saturday.

In week 18 at the same venue, Central took a 4-4 draw from their match against Terminix La Horquetta Rangers and looked in a similar mood early on, as Dominic Davis was just wide of the target with the game's first shot at goal.

Saleem Henry and Dacian John were also full of running for the Sharks as they hunted for their first win this season.

Chasing a recovery from the 5-2 lashing at home to Club Sando, 2023 TTPFL Tier II "Most Valuable Player" (MVP) Mickaeel Jem Gordon was the usual instigator for Phoenix in an attritional first-half midfield battle.

His best efforts of the opening 45 seemed to come to naught but in the final minute of first-half additional time, Gordon slipped past his defensive marking to once again bear down on the box.

A comedy of errors by goalkeeper Kitwana Manning and his attendant defenders allowed Trevon James his moment and he knocked in the loose ball to put Central on the back foot, Phoenix leading 1-0 with the last kick of the half.

Despite the goal the league's bottom two clubs continued to toil on a humid evening in East Trinidad.

The heat appeared to get to Henry whose reckless tackle after losing possession saw him to an early shower courtesy of a 68th-minute second yellow.

Things opened up a bit but remained tight until the 80th.

Then, Gordon was again the creative force, picking the right pass on the counter to send Trevin Caesar clear on goal, and he tucked it away into the left corner of the Central goal for a 2-0 Phoenix lead.

In the 86th, Gordon had a gilt-edged chance but was a whisker away from the third.

He eventually got his just desserts in the second minute of second-half time added on, sharpest to a loose central pass, nutmegging his defender before slotting his eighth goal of the season.

The 3-0 win saw Phoenix improve to 19 points.

Result

Central FC 0 vs 1976 FC Phoenix 3 (Trevon James 45+3, Trevin Caesar 80th, Mickaeel Jem Gordon 90+2)

Sunday's matches:

Venue: Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo:

Caledonia FC vs Prison Service FC, 4 pm

AC PoS vs Police FC, 6.10 pm

Point Fortin Civic vs Club Sando, Mahaica Sports Complex, Point Fortin, 6 pm

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2024, 05:51:04 AM »
Army letting title slip...champs Defence Force drop point against Rangers
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

With just three matches left in their season, the Trinidad and Tobago Premier League (TTPFL) title slipped a little bit further out of the grasp of defending champions Defence Force, when they suffered a late setback and drew 1-1 away to Terminix La Horquetta Rangers on Saturday.

Last season’s winners Defence Force (31 points) could well find themselves further adrift, as leaders Police FC (34 points) and second-placed AC Port of Spain (33 points) were due to meet in a season defining match last evening.

At La Horquetta, substitute Isaiah Lee struck late when roofing the ball at the far post after an interchange of passes in the 82nd minute, to pull Rangers level. The Army had led since the 23rd minute when defender Caleb Sturge sliced the ball past goalkeeper Jabari Brice for an unfortunate own goal, when trying to cut out a pass from busy winger Kendell Hitlal.

A game of much excitement and also contentious moments, it could have gone either way, but having equalised, Rangers were terrors on their Phase 2 ground at the end, threatening to take full points.

Tensions also threatened to boil over, after referee Crystal Sobers awarded a controversial 60th minute penalty, when burly Ranger’s stopper Jevon Morris went in hard, clearly got to the ball first, but collided with Defence Force midfielder Shaquille Bertrand.

The penalty presented Defence Force a chance to take a two-goal advantage. What resulted was a fracas, as both camps became ‘hot’ before Sobers rescinded her decision on the advice of an official on the sidelines.

Much earlier, there was an early first-half chance for Defence Force, with La Horquetta-based central defender Justin Garcia heading over Bertrand’s cross.

The Army dominated the first half, with Hitlal particularly causing no end of trouble up the left flank.

Rangers came alive in the second half and, having equalised, scorer Lee had several chances to get a winner, the same as striker Brent Sam, who on the other end, produced a point-black header which goalie Brice blocked with his body. Keeper Christopher Biggette was also busy in the Army goal, as Lee, Akido Weeks and Tyrese Bailey each threatened his goal with shots.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2024, 06:14:18 AM »
Police draw AC PoS to maintain slim TTPFL lead
By Andrew Gioannetti (T&T Newsday)

Kareem Freitas notched his fourth and perhaps most crucial goal of his T&T Premier Football League campaign, on April 7, scoring for leaders Police in their 1-1 draw with title rivals AC Port of Spain.

The result left the top of the standings unchanged from the start of the weekend, with Police maintaining top spot on 35 points, one point ahead of AC Port of Spain, who played 15 matches, one fewer than Police.

At the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo, Police had early opportunities and found the target in the 20th minute when Freitas played a quick one-two pass with Josiah Wilson, who returned for Freitas to score.

Police’s goal saw a sudden change in AC Port of Spain’s approach, with national midfielder Duane Muckette crafting half-chances for the team and himself.

AC Port of Spain were aggrieved not to have had a goal of their own by half-time, after referee Nikolai Nyron ignored a shout for hand-ball when Police defender Elijah Belgrave appeared to have outstretched his arm to prevent a cross field free-kick by Rochford from reaching an onrushing Radanfah Abu Bakr near to the goalline.Abu Bakr challenged assistant referee Kurt Charles who waved off the appeals.AC Port of Spain defender Maurice Ford had an effort on goal from another outstanding Rochford cross before halftime, but T&T and Police shot-stopper Adrian Foncette made a comfortable save.

Phillip was the busier of the two keepers in the second half as he kept AC Port of Spain in the match.

The “Capital Boys” would find their equaliser from Muckette midway through the second half.

Rochford met a deep pass on the right flank and passed neatly in front of the goal for Sedale McLean, who was clattered by a pair of Police defenders.Muckette picked up the loose ball from the scramble and scored from close range.

Muckette came nearest to sealing a match winner in the 76th minute after connecting with another clever Rochford pass, but he hit the crossbar with a lunging shot directly in front of the goal.Earlier on Sunday, former Police defender Gabriel Nanton notched the lone goal – his fourth of the campaign – a first-half penalty for Caledonia in their win over Prison Service. Caledonia maintained their spot in eighth and Prison Service in seventh.

On Saturday, 1976 FC Phoenix defeated Central FC 3-0 to overtake FC Eagles.Defence Force remained in third place after drawing 1-1 against Terminix La Horquetta Rangers.

Offline Bobdv

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2024, 07:22:00 AM »
Is there a top scorer list anywhere

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Yesterday at 02:46:36 PM »
Police whip Rangers 4-1, extend TTPFL lead
By Roneil Walcott (T&T Newsday)

Miscellaneous Police FC (38 points) moved four points clear at the 2023/24 Trinidad and Tobago Premier Football League (TTPFL) summit on April 14, when they got a resounding 4-1 victory against the fifth-placed Terminix La Horquetta Rangers (25 points) at the St James Police Barracks.

With the second-placed AC PoS (34 points) inactive on the weekend, Police took full advantage to extend their lead on the 11-team table and they proved too strong for the unpredictable Rangers outfit.

AC PoS have played two games fewer than Police, but the pressure will be on the "Capital Boys" after they relinquished top spot in the TTPFL on the final day of the inaugural season last year. Police have two matches left, while fellow title-challengers AC PoS have four matches remaining.

The rampant Police team had their in-form striker Kareem Freitas to thank for their handsome win against Rangers, as he scored in either half to down the visiting team in a dominant display by the lawmen.

Police took the lead in the 29th minute when standout Soca Warriors defender Alvin Jones applied a clinical finish at the end of a swift counter-attack involving former T&T captain Khaleem Hyland. Seconds before, Rangers captain Kadeem Corbin spurned a glorious opportunity when he shot straight at goalkeeper Adrian Foncette with the goal at his mercy. The hosts didn't waste time in making Corbin and Rangers pay a heavy price.

Police dictated the pace of the game and had solid performances from several players, with Hyland and Simeon Bailey controlling the midfield and Joevin Jones and Freitas looking dangerous further afield.

The latter duo combined to devastating effect in the 39th minute to make it 2-0 when Freitas beat Jabari Brice with a neat finish after Police exploited Rangers' high back line.

In the 55th minute, Freitas shot past Brice from close range to give Police a 3-0 lead after receiving a deft touch from flanker Kadeem Hutchinson on the edge of the area. Freitas, who took his season's tally to five goals, had numerous opportunities to notch a hat-trick but he couldn't hit the back of the net.

In the 68th minute, the Police striker turned provider when he sent in a splendid low cross from the right for attacker Josiah Wilson to slam home from close range to give the hosts an unassailable 4-0 lead.

With the contest well and truly over, Corbin got on the scoresheet for Rangers in stoppage-time after cutting in from the left and rifling a shot into the bottom corner to grab his tenth goal of the season.

At the Dwight Yorke Stadium in Bacolet, Tobago, 1976 FC Phoenix (22 points) moved to seventh spot on the table when they got an impressive 2-0 win against the sixth-placed Heritage Petroleum Point Fortin Civic (23 points). Adriel George opened the scoring in the 13th minute, while Phoenix talisman Mickaeel "Jem" Gordon sealed the points when he bagged his ninth goal of the season in the 80th minute.

In the other TTPFL game on April 14, Eagles FC (formerly Cunupia FC) got the better of Central FC in a bottom-of-the-table clash at the Larry Gomes Stadium in Malabar when they came away with a 1-0 win. Pierre-Louis Peterson scored the lone goal of the game in the 79th minute to propel Eagles to 19 points.

Central are rooted to the foot of the table with two points after 18 matches and are still searching for an elusive win this season.

TTFPL tier one standings:

Team*GP*W*D*L*GF*GA*GD*Pts

1.Police FC*18*11*5*2*39*17*22*38

2.AC PoS*16*10*4*2*39*18*21*34

3.Defence Force FC*17*9*4*4*31*18*13*31

4.Club Sando*17*9*4*4*28*19*9*31

5.La Horquetta Rangers*18*7*4*7*36*33*3*25

6.Point Fortin Civic*18*6*5*7*25*21*4*23

7.1976 FC Phoenix*16*7*1*8*25*29*-4*22

8.Prisons FC*18*7*0*11*23*34*-11*21

9.Caledonia*17*5*5*7*24*23*1*20

10.Eagles FC*17*5*4*8*21*26*-5*19

11.Central FC*18*0*2*16*12*65*-53*2

1]; } ?>