April 16, 2024, 06:13:09 AM

Author Topic: FIFA appoints normalisation committee for Trinidad and Tobago football  (Read 103943 times)

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Who wins? High Court action raises fears of impending FIFA ban
« Reply #420 on: May 20, 2020, 01:42:27 PM »
Who wins? High Court action raises fears of impending FIFA ban
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

“Is the moral victory that they are seemingly seeking worth taking Trinidad and Tobago football down this path?” asks former Trinidad and Tobago sports minister Brent Sancho. “I am not here to dispute whether FIFA (is) wrong or right. I'm here to ask a question.”

The implications of the TTFA taking football’s world governing body to the local high court are far reaching and have evoked everything from dread to caution to concern.

Most persons were reluctant to comment officially. Of those who did, Sancho raised concerns of a possible international ban for the country’s football.

Former FIFA vice-president Jack Warner felt Sancho’s comment “would not help the Football Association”, while football constitution expert Osmond Downer took a cautious approach.

On Monday, deposed TTFA president William Wallace instructed attorneys Dr Emir Crowne and Mathew Gayle to abandon an appeal to the International Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) and turn attention instead to T&T’s High Court.

Wallace’s executive had initially petitioned CAS to overturn a decision by FIFA to appoint a normalisation committee to oversee the running of the TTFA until new elections could be held. Elected in November, 2019, Wallace and his team were removed by FIFA just four months later, the world body citing the Association’s heavy debt burden as the main reason for its action.

Most outspoken of those willing to comment, Sancho inquired how Wallace’s executive ever hoped to function with FIFA, having taken them to court.

“There is the possibility of not being able to partake in World Cup qualifiers, under-15, Under-20 and all the age-group tournaments. No women football or club championship,” stated the Central FC club owner, “Who benefits from that?

“At the end of the day, who are the true winners from this? You can’t tell me it’s Trinidad and Tobago football when there is the possibility of being sanctioned.”

Downer, the writer of the TTFA’s constitution, took a cautious approach to the TTFA decision to head to the local courts, a decision which seems in contradiction of point 3 of Article 64 of the FIFA statutes dealing with its members’ obligations to the world organisation.

“The Associations shall insert a clause in their statutes or regulations, stipulating that it is prohibited to take disputes in the Association or disputes affecting Leagues, members of Leagues, clubs, members of clubs, players, officials and other Association Officials to ordinary courts of law,” the statute says.

Article 64 further states, “Instead of recourse to ordinary courts of law, provision shall be made for arbitration. Such disputes shall be taken to an independent and duly constituted arbitration tribunal, recognised under the rules of the Association or Confederation or to CAS.”

“I would not want to comment on whether it is wrong or right,” said Downer, a former school principal, FIFA referee and referees’ instructor.

Further, point two of Article 13 relating to FIFA members’ obligations, states: “Violation of the above-mentioned obligations by any member may lead to sanctions provided for in these statutes.”

Article 14 speaks of suspension of a member and says, “The Congress is responsible for suspending a Member. The Executive Committee may, however, suspend a member that seriously and repeatedly violates its obligations as a member with immediate effect.”

“I have just adopted a wait and see attitude,” Downer said, “I am waiting to see what is the eventual result because it is not as easy as some people think.”

Downer, who preferred that the matter had been handled at CAS, said it would be interesting to see the legal interpretation of what there is in the TTFA constitution.

“Perhaps it would be good to see how a local court will look at it because when you look at it, there is a definite conflict between the two constitutions. Definite conflict,” he added.

Warner initially reserved comment, having not yet read yesterday’s newspaper reports highlighting the issue.

“Let me not say much on that for the time being because that will not help the Football Association (FA) or you,” Warner said.

A prominent FIFA official for nearly three decades until he was forced to resign amidst a 2011 corruption scandal, Warner is now an outspoken critic of the organisation. He took a sympathetic position to Wallace’s plight.

“A wrong has been done against the Football Association and not a single media house has stood up in their defence and for me, that is very painful,” he said,

Corrected and informed that Wallace’s point of view has been regularly vented on both newspaper and television, Warner instead diverted from the issue - that being of the consequence of the TTFA taking FIFA before a local court.

“Everything in Trinidad has gone to the one-percenters. They claim football and nobody see nothing wrong with that,” he ranted. “The last thing that the black man had was football and that has been lost. That has been taken away.”

Warner promised to read further into the issue and call back. He did not, neither did he answer his phone later on.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA putting plaster on badly infected sore
« Reply #421 on: May 20, 2020, 05:25:59 PM »
FIFA putting plaster on badly infected sore
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: I have great respect for Arthur Suite’s views on matters of football as he has been in the trenches and has contributed immensely to the game in TT, and clearly is someone who is interested primarily in the development of the game here.

Notwithstanding the relevance and validity of the points he has raised in his letter of May 12, headed “Transparency vital from FIFA in TT,” I disagree with his conclusion that all should be realistic and capitulate to the wishes and action taken by FIFA.

I disagree because the installation of the normalisation committee is a plaster on a badly infected sore. The issue is not only finance. It is about having an executive that has been properly elected and respected by the clubs, and allowing them to build the capacity to, once and for all, run the institution in a way that it can change and survive in the long run, and rid itself of a deep-seated culture of corruption and mismanagement.

This brings me to the arrowhead of my disagreement with Suite. Why did FIFA wait till after the duly constituted elections (four months after) to take this course of action? Why did it not do so during the tenure of the predecessors who brought the association to its knees? Or for that matter Raymond Tim Kee (RIP) or many of the others?

The answer is clear, at least to people who have been familiar with the TTFA’s cloned FIFA culture. It is because the winners were not the ones FIFA was backing.

The TTFA has long had in place a culture of facilitating the appointment of those who have supported officials irrespective of their capabilities etc.

This is a FIFA thing well ingrained. This is about having personnel who can guarantee a vote at FIFA’s congress.

To allow this to happen would be retrograde and damaging to the advances made in ensuring proper elections and the installation of capable and willing people. It would be an infusion of the corrupt culture that has the association where it is today. The financial problems are a symptom of this cultural disease.

The proper thing for FIFA to do is to work with the elected executive to achieve the objectives it deems appropriate, assuming its motives are bona fide. The country should rally around the elected officials to achieve this, given the points raised by Suite about FIFA’s intrusive power.

As a footnote, attention should be paid to increasing moves to have the FIFA president investigated.

BRIAN GHENT
Maraval

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
“Is the moral victory that they are seemingly seeking worth taking Trinidad and Tobago football down this path?” asks former Trinidad and Tobago sports minister Brent Sancho.

F---k, yes!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guatemala and Nigeria lessons for T&T
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Countries serving recent FIFA suspensions for varying reasons include Guatemala twice, Nigerian, Kenya, Zambia, and Indonesia, Kuwait and Benin. The two cases closest to the Trinidad and Tobago situation appear to be those of Guatemala and Nigeria.

Guatemala missed two Concacaf Gold Cups and were banned from all FIFA competitions until being reinstated on May 31, 2018, when FIFA announced it had lifted the suspension imposed on the Federacion Nacional de Futbol de Guatemala (FEDEFUT).

On Oct 28, 2016, the Guatemalan football federation was suspended indefinitely by FIFA, which stated that FEDEFUT had rejected a normalisation committee’s mandate to run its business, organise elections, and modernise its statutes, and would be barred from international competition. The suspension was only lifted after FEDEFUT’s normalisation committee became fully operational.

During an almost two-year ban, Guatemala national teams and clubs were barred from participating in international competitions. FEDEFUT also received no funding from both FIFA and Concacaf for its national and development programmes. Guatemala missed out on qualifying for the 2017 and 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup tournaments; and the 2017 Copa Centroamericana.

Guatemala also missed out on the qualifying round for the 2019–20 Concacaf Nations League qualifying.

When their ban was eventually lifted, Guatemala were installed in the bottom rung (League C) of the actual Nations League competition and now have to work their way back up to the top league (League A). It was the second time Guatemala were banned by FIFA, the first time being in 2003.

Meanwhile, FIFA allowed a Nigerian dispute to be decided by the Nigerian High Court before banning the Nigerian Football Federation (NFF) president Chris Giwa for life and also threatened an immediate ban on the Nigerian federation if it abided by a local court verdict.

In August 2018, lawyer Azdzard Habilla said FIFA could not ban Nigeria from football activities after his client Giwa went to court and won control of the NFF in July 2018. Giwa insisted that he was elected president in a disputed vote back in August 2014. However, FIFA recognised the victory of Amaju Pinnick. Acting on a Nigerian court ruling establishing Giwa as NFF president, Nigerian Sport Minister Solomon Dalung ordered Pinnick and his board to comply with the court and leave the NFF.

For going to a local court, Giwa was issued a worldwide FIFA ban from all football activities. FIFA also issued a statement giving Nigeria until Monday, August 20 to return the BFF offices to Pinnick or the NFF would be suspended with immediate effect. Faced with a FIFA ban, Nigeria rejected Giwa’s claim to leadership and reinstated Pinnick.

It was not the first time that Nigeria had faced a FIFA ban over government interference. FIFA also suspended the country when a Nigerian high court ordered the NFF to hand over the reins of the national team to a government civil servant, after the country’s exit from the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

Meanwhile, Indonesia were banned on June 5, 2014 after the sports ministry and football association failed to resolve a dispute over who ran the game in the country.

In May 2016, FIFA lifted Indonesia’s ban from international competitions but confirmed the suspensions of Kuwait and Benin over government interference in the sport. The suspension ruled Indonesia’s national team out of the 2018 World Cup and 2019 Asian Cup qualifying campaigns.

Mr. Prescott, you present seductive examples as purported lessons of caution for T&T, but, your seduction by the Guatemalan and Nigerian experiences has neglected discussion of the key distinguishing feature. More than occasionally a journey is as significant as its destination.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just listen to Brent sancho about Wallace’s intentions being selfish, but what about you brent when you cleaned out the ttfa office under timkee and took balls tables type writers anything you could put your paws on?

if you’re so concerned about trinbago football then why don’t you with draw your claim, you and the rest of sharks coming for the ttfa bank account demanded phantom money from a decade ago? mate it’s better for your image if you just shut up and keep quiet. bloody hypocrite.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Well brace for impact, finally our football is coming in for a crash landing. Fok it, it’s ether this way or no way at all. the ban is inevitable and I welcome it, fok that. if I can’t have justice then I’ll take banishment.

I sure hope that fat ugly prik from Moruga is happy with himself, he first utterly destroyed football, then he sobotaged it when he couldn’t have his way, I’m certainly not an advocate for violence but if anyone needed ....... it’s this fat ugly f**k from W connection. that bastard brought football to it’s knees in TT.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:01:36 PM by pull stones »

Offline theworm2345

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
As someone once said, "He who allows oppression shares the crime."

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
TTFA must stand up to FIFA
« Reply #427 on: May 21, 2020, 08:39:49 AM »
TTFA must stand up to FIFA
T&T Express

I became extremely elated on reading that the Movement for Social Justice (MSJ) was fully supportive of the position of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) in its imbrogolio with FIFA.

Perhaps I need to remind us that TTFA is the national body established by an act of Parliament and is the only legal body to represent and adjudicate in all matters pertaining to football in Trinidad and Tobago.

Elucidation of that point, coming from the Ministry of Sport would have assisted T&T in this intrusion by FIFA.

It was shameful to witness some of the biggest names in our soccer history ready to toss this elected executive to the Federation International Football Association (FIFA).

Even though we can be banned from football globally by FIFA, it would be a severe miscarriage of justice for this group of representatives who have not contributed in anyway to this state of affairs. While we would abhor that occurrence, there remain things supremely more important in life than a game of soccer.

Must we accept that words like honesty, principle, fairplay, integrity and always doing the right thing, have now been discarded from our society?

If that’s the case, then the Mighty Duke was right when he said in song— “We are running short of role models to inspire the children’’.

The TTFA executive needs our total support in challenging FIFA in this issue. I would suggest that this TTFA executive call on the five soccer federations to support this stance.

I expect some negative comments to be voiced but I am a believer in asking a question and getting an answer as opposed to not asking and assuming an answer. The message I am sending to the TTFA executive is to exploit every option open to them in dealing with FIFA.

Make the five federations— Africa, Asia, Concacaf, Europe and South America—aware of your plight and seeking their support is your trump card. Give this some serious thought. Always be bold when your back is against the wall. Don’t cringe under the audacity of FIFA.

Michael Franco
via e-mail
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 08:42:53 AM by Tallman »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
When justification is not enough
« Reply #428 on: May 21, 2020, 08:43:24 AM »
T&T Guardian

Dear Editor,

In the current worrying dispute between the elected body of the T&T Football Association (TTFA), better known as United TTFA, and FIFA, a new twist threatens to plunge our football into unfathomable depths.

While the sudden firing of the democratically elected board deserved some degree of outrage, many people within football could accept this decision as a means to an end.

United TTFA then decided to challenge this FIFA decision by taking the dispute to the Court of Arbitration (CAS) in Switzerland. Winning such a case would have placed the already shaky relationship between FIFA and TTFA into the matrimonial category of irrevocable differences. Any assistance from FIFA in managing TTFA's debts would have fallen on deaf ears. But at least we could see that justice prevailed.

But this latest decision by United TTFA and its legal team is completely incomprehensible.  

Firstly, T&T courts have no jurisdiction over FIFA. Secondly, FIFA statutes forbid member associations to address matters through local courts and members agree to address all such matters to CAS. The penalty for non-compliance with these rules is a suspension.

So what is United TTFA's endgame? If they win in Port-of-Spain and retake their positions in TTFA, what have they achieved? T&T football will be an outcast. United TTFA will be in charge of an empty office, with no income, no staff and a $50 million debt.

My question is: who gave United TTFA the mandate to turn T&T into a football pariah? Did the 49 TTFA board members vote for this? Were they even consulted? Did United TTFA discuss their intentions with the Sports Minister Shamfa Cudjoe?

I have seen United TTFA members and their supporters talk about the fight for justice. Some have even dared to liken their dispute to those of Uriah Butler, Nelson Mandela and Rosa Parks. They talk of fighting the corruption of colonialist bullies.

But in reality, United TTFA has crossed the moral threshold of the fight for justice.

Can it be justice for a handful of middle-aged administrators to take away the opportunities and dreams of talented young footballers unable to play international football for an undetermined number of years? Can it be democratic for these few to take a unilateral decision that will affect all 49 board members without a vote?

I believe in fighting for justice. I was instrumental in the Soca Warriors fight against Jack Warner in the World Cup bonus dispute. At the time it was unthinkable that a bunch of footballers could win against the FIFA vice-president. The players knew that their fight would result in blacklisting from the national team but it was their personal choice just as it would be their personal penalty. Their battle never threatened T&T football.

Where were the members of United TTFA in that fight for justice? Some of them were working with Warner so maybe justice wasn't so important then.

If United TTFA feels justified to take on FIFA in a T&T court, I say they should do it but they should do it as individuals. Let them win their victory and attain the moral high ground but don't bring down T&T football in the process.

Kevin Harrison

Operations Director
Central FC

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Regional Associations: Ban Wallace and friends, not TTFA
« Reply #429 on: May 21, 2020, 08:58:53 AM »
Regional Associations: Ban Wallace and friends, not TTFA
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

There is now a collective call by representatives of four out of the six regional associations - Southern FA (SFA), Eastern FA (EFA), Central FA (CFA) and the Eastern Counties Football Union - for the ousted T&T Football Association (TTFA) executive to face the penalty for the country if it is to be banned for violation of the FIFA Statutes.  

Speaking to Guardian Media Sports on Wednesday, Shymdeo Gosine, president of CFA together with EFA president Kieron Edwards, Terrance Quashie of the Eastern Counties, and Richard Quan Chan, president of the SFA have championed the call for the United TTFA team to be banned and not the TTFA.

However, Harvey Jack, who spoke on behalf of the Tobago Football Association (TFA), despite the fact that the Association don't have an existing executive, said while he does not support a decision for the country to be banned, he is supporting the principled stand being taken by Wallace and his team.

Fed up that they would not be given a fair trial by the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS) to fight against, what they consider to be, an unfair decision by football's supreme body - FIFA - to replace their democratically elected executive with a FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee on March 17, the United TTFA team of former president William Wallace and his vice-presidents Clynt Taylor, Joseph Sam Phillip and Susan Joseph-Warrick, on Monday agreed to take its battle to the High Court in Port-of-Spain, which was a direct violation of the TTFA constitution and FIFA Statutes, which positions T&T to be banned.

However, the members of the respective regional association said the decision by Wallace and company was not a representation of the football fraternity, or either the Board of Directors, who are the decision-making team in local football.

Quan Chan, Quashie, Edwards and Gosine all said their associations were never consulted before the decision was made, and therefore, they do not support it.

Gosine, the CFA boss said the rule states clearly that automatic suspension will be handed down to the Member Association that carries FIFA to the local court.

“Then why do we have people, who claim to care about football, who would make such a decision and get our country banned. Tell me who is advising them, tell me where is the thinking?”

He calls on the Caribbean Football Union (CFU), CONCACAF and whichever other entity that could help them convince FIFA, that if it is considering banning T&T, then it (FIFA) should ban the members individually instead.

“Keep them out of T&T football because they are not thinking about the effect it would have on the country and footballers as a whole. For me, they are all selfish,” Gosine said. “We need to separate these people from football. We have gone past this fight against FIFA for a long time because we know that FIFA can help us, so we must support the Normalisation Committee.”

Edwards, the EFA boss said his association is set to have an emergency meeting to discuss the decision to go to the high court and whether the United TTFA had also violated its own constitution, apart from the FIFA statutes.

Article 67 of the TTFA constitution states: “In accordance with the relevant provisions of the FIFA Statutes, any appeal against a final and binding decision passed by FIFA, CONCACAF or the Leagues, shall be heard by the CAS unless another arbitration tribunal has jurisdiction in accordance with Art. 69. CAS shall not, however, hear appeals on violations of the Laws of the Game and suspensions of up four matches or up to three months (except for doping decisions). 2 TTFA shall ensure its full compliance and that of all those subject to its jurisdiction with any final decision passed by a FIFA body, by a CONCACAF body, by the Arbitration Tribunal recognised by TTFA or the CAS.”

Edwards said all this will be discussed as well as the fact that no communication, advice or consultation was made with his association and they, therefore, view the decision to go to the high court as a reckless one. Like Gosine, he said he supports the call for individual sanctions on the members who decided to go to the high court and not on the country.

Should T&T be banned by FIFA, there will be no future for the young players trying to compete at the CFU, CONCACAF, Women's tournaments, as well as the CONCACAF Gold Cup, FIFA World Cup Qualifiers and International Club competitions.

Meanwhile, both Quan Chan and Quashie made it clear they will not support any decision that will result in T&T football being suspended. Both said since the decision was made by the few members, then they should face the penalty, as their decision was not made with the involvement of the SFA or Eastern Counties.

Quashie said he believes Wallace was negatively influenced. The country faces a possible ban by FIFA, similar to several other countries that have been suspended by the world governing body including Indonesia, Pakistan, Nigeria and Cameroon, among others.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This ban talk is stirring up unmerited hysteria and its promulgators are overlooking the factor that neither automatically recommends or supports a ban. I will leave that for another day but I am appreciating the various  unmaskings for now.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
T&T Guardian

Dear Editor,

In the current worrying dispute between the elected body of the T&T Football Association (TTFA), better known as United TTFA, and FIFA, a new twist threatens to plunge our football into unfathomable depths.

While the sudden firing of the democratically elected board deserved some degree of outrage, many people within football could accept this decision as a means to an end.

United TTFA then decided to challenge this FIFA decision by taking the dispute to the Court of Arbitration (CAS) in Switzerland. Winning such a case would have placed the already shaky relationship between FIFA and TTFA into the matrimonial category of irrevocable differences. Any assistance from FIFA in managing TTFA's debts would have fallen on deaf ears. But at least we could see that justice prevailed.

But this latest decision by United TTFA and its legal team is completely incomprehensible. 

Firstly, T&T courts have no jurisdiction over FIFA. Secondly, FIFA statutes forbid member associations to address matters through local courts and members agree to address all such matters to CAS. The penalty for non-compliance with these rules is a suspension.

So what is United TTFA's endgame? If they win in Port-of-Spain and retake their positions in TTFA, what have they achieved? T&T football will be an outcast. United TTFA will be in charge of an empty office, with no income, no staff and a $50 million debt.

My question is: who gave United TTFA the mandate to turn T&T into a football pariah? Did the 49 TTFA board members vote for this? Were they even consulted? Did United TTFA discuss their intentions with the Sports Minister Shamfa Cudjoe?

I have seen United TTFA members and their supporters talk about the fight for justice. Some have even dared to liken their dispute to those of Uriah Butler, Nelson Mandela and Rosa Parks. They talk of fighting the corruption of colonialist bullies.

But in reality, United TTFA has crossed the moral threshold of the fight for justice.

Can it be justice for a handful of middle-aged administrators to take away the opportunities and dreams of talented young footballers unable to play international football for an undetermined number of years? Can it be democratic for these few to take a unilateral decision that will affect all 49 board members without a vote?

I believe in fighting for justice. I was instrumental in the Soca Warriors fight against Jack Warner in the World Cup bonus dispute. At the time it was unthinkable that a bunch of footballers could win against the FIFA vice-president. The players knew that their fight would result in blacklisting from the national team but it was their personal choice just as it would be their personal penalty. Their battle never threatened T&T football.

Where were the members of United TTFA in that fight for justice? Some of them were working with Warner so maybe justice wasn't so important then.

If United TTFA feels justified to take on FIFA in a T&T court, I say they should do it but they should do it as individuals. Let them win their victory and attain the moral high ground but don't bring down T&T football in the process.

Kevin Harrison

Operations Director
Central FC

Kevin:

1. Although the decision-making of the complaining party confounds you, that confoundment does not render it "completely incomprehensible" to other observers.

2. Preliminary discussion with the MoS is an incredulous  proposition for reasons you should know, or appreciate, instinctively, having been affiliated with the MoS and from your indicated reading of FIFA prerogatives.

3. I wish you had not waded into South African waters with definition setting on permissible boundaries of moral authority.  What occurred in South Africa was an unconditional and unbounded expression of moral imperative and the collective decision-making of elders ("middle aged administrators", if you will) did lead to sacrificing opportunities of the promising generation, but none of that sacrifice was permanent or permanently  injurious.

I prefer to allude to that broadly out of respect for the many days of school missed in the townships and the blood shed on those principles of moral acuity.

Make your point but don't assert that morality is vacated because there are consequences to asserting a moral imperative. 

4. You acknowledge a moral high ground, and you assert a history of waging a prior battle that was grounded on a justice imperative and consequences, yet you are not struggling with the parallels here? It seems that you are preoccupied by the size of the dog in the yard and its wagging tail. Thing is,  that may be an appropriate standard to apply in a school yard but not the appropriate standard to be applied on the national or international stage. 
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 04:55:18 AM by asylumseeker »

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kerry Baptiste: Players will suffer in TTFA battle
« Reply #432 on: May 21, 2020, 11:43:27 AM »
By Jelani Beckles and Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

AN African proverb warns that when elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. Former T&T footballer Kerry Baptiste shares a similar sentiment as he fears local-based players would bear the brunt of the damage in the ongoing battle between the T&T Football Association (TTFA) and the FIFA normalisation committee.

Baptiste credits the embattled TTFA president William Wallace and his executive for fighting FIFA on their decision to appoint a normalisation committee to run local football, but believes it would be an uphill battle for the former TTFA executive.

“Anybody will put up a fight for that but like I said, this is FIFA…this is not just some local body you putting up a fight against, this is FIFA,” Baptiste said.

On March 17, FIFA removed the freshly-appointed TTFA executive and appointed a normalisation committee led by Robert Hadad. The main job given to the normalisation committee is to eliminate the TTFA's huge debts, which is said to be $50 million.

Wallace inherited most of the debts as he was only elected president in November 2019. The former Secondary Schools Football League boss decided to take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), but on Monday switched strategy, instead taking their fight to the T&T High Court.

Baptiste hopes a situation does not arise where FIFA prevents T&T from playing in tournaments because of the current battle for power.

“I really hope it does not reach that level where FIFA wants to ban T&T from participating in tournaments from the youngest age groups to the senior level…If FIFA is here to improve and upgrade, all well and good because at the end of the day we cannot think about us."

Baptiste continued, "We cannot be selfish in this situation here…it will affect a lot of players, not a manager, not a coach, not a physio, not a trainer, the players are going to feel it…the players well-being we have to focus on.”

Baptiste said Wallace was put in a difficult position when he came into office. “Unfortunately Wallace was given the opportunity to try his best in the position that he got to try and help local football, but at the end of the day there were so many things before Mr Wallace (came into office), so no disrespect to him.”

The former national player is counting on FIFA to fix T&T football. “Let’s hope at the end of the day that a lot of things get resolved peacefully and they bring some of kind of stability and tranquillity to football in the country. A lot of people depend on football locally. There are a lot of things that need to be resolved, so many things were upside down back in the days and today we fighting the same battle.”

TTFA board member and chairman of the technical committee Keith Look Loy, on Tuesday, said the move by the former TTFA executive to take their case from CAS to the High Court was not a last resort in their battle against FIFA.

"FIFA regulations permit one to appeal to CAS, so we followed the rules," Look Loy said. "Then CAS orders us to pay the entire legal costs, although the said regulations require FIFA to pay half. So we protested and forced CAS to ask FIFA to pay their half. FIFA refused so we now resort to the local High Court, because of FIFA's behaviour."

According to Look Loy, "(FIFA) have no authority to remove an elected executive."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
fight, Fight,Fight!!!!!! William Wallace!!!!!!!!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kerry Baptiste: Players will suffer in TTFA battle
« Reply #434 on: May 21, 2020, 01:21:03 PM »
By Jelani Beckles and Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

AN African proverb warns that when elephants fight, it is the grass that suffers. Former T&T footballer Kerry Baptiste shares a similar sentiment as he fears local-based players would bear the brunt of the damage in the ongoing battle between the T&T Football Association (TTFA) and the FIFA normalisation committee.

Baptiste credits the embattled TTFA president William Wallace and his executive for fighting FIFA on their decision to appoint a normalisation committee to run local football, but believes it would be an uphill battle for the former TTFA executive.

“Anybody will put up a fight for that but like I said, this is FIFA…this is not just some local body you putting up a fight against, this is FIFA,” Baptiste said.

On March 17, FIFA removed the freshly-appointed TTFA executive and appointed a normalisation committee led by Robert Hadad. The main job given to the normalisation committee is to eliminate the TTFA's huge debts, which is said to be $50 million.

Wallace inherited most of the debts as he was only elected president in November 2019. The former Secondary Schools Football League boss decided to take the matter to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), but on Monday switched strategy, instead taking their fight to the T&T High Court.

Baptiste hopes a situation does not arise where FIFA prevents T&T from playing in tournaments because of the current battle for power.

“I really hope it does not reach that level where FIFA wants to ban T&T from participating in tournaments from the youngest age groups to the senior level…If FIFA is here to improve and upgrade, all well and good because at the end of the day we cannot think about us."

Baptiste continued, "We cannot be selfish in this situation here…it will affect a lot of players, not a manager, not a coach, not a physio, not a trainer, the players are going to feel it…the players well-being we have to focus on.”

Baptiste said Wallace was put in a difficult position when he came into office. “Unfortunately Wallace was given the opportunity to try his best in the position that he got to try and help local football, but at the end of the day there were so many things before Mr Wallace (came into office), so no disrespect to him.”

The former national player is counting on FIFA to fix T&T football. “Let’s hope at the end of the day that a lot of things get resolved peacefully and they bring some of kind of stability and tranquillity to football in the country. A lot of people depend on football locally. There are a lot of things that need to be resolved, so many things were upside down back in the days and today we fighting the same battle.”

TTFA board member and chairman of the technical committee Keith Look Loy, on Tuesday, said the move by the former TTFA executive to take their case from CAS to the High Court was not a last resort in their battle against FIFA.

"FIFA regulations permit one to appeal to CAS, so we followed the rules," Look Loy said. "Then CAS orders us to pay the entire legal costs, although the said regulations require FIFA to pay half. So we protested and forced CAS to ask FIFA to pay their half. FIFA refused so we now resort to the local High Court, because of FIFA's behaviour."

According to Look Loy, "(FIFA) have no authority to remove an elected executive."
what contracts is Kerry talking about, and what contracts are these local bums getting anyway, to play in Thailand and honduras? with our fifa ranking our players can’t even earn contracts in the conference league in england, let alone a 4th tier league in the eastern block.

A bring on the ban already, that and the sanctions on trinidad for trading fuel to venezuela, and while we at it bring down covid on the country as well. fok it let’s go for broke, double or nothing.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 01:22:59 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
fight, Fight,Fight!!!!!! William Wallace!!!!!!!!
thats what I say bring on the ban. in fact ban us indefinitely 10 years would be nice. that would encourage us to build a better more patronized league. in that way my heart will heal from a total ban with all the disappointments in the coming years from the ridiculous beatings we would have received from concacaf top 6. So burn down the house wallace, if you can’t live there then no one will.

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wallace: No change without consequences
« Reply #436 on: May 21, 2020, 05:27:58 PM »

“There could be no change without consequences. Some people want to support our stance but are unwilling to accept the consequences,” said William Wallace, former president of the ousted T&T Football Association, who is leading a daring battle against the world governing body for football- FIFA for the right to be the managers of local football told Guardian Media Sports on Thursday.

The team of Wallace, Clynt Taylor, Joseph Sam Phillip and Susan Joseph-Warrick was replaced by a Normalisation Committee appointed by the FIFA because the football association faced a real risk of insolvency.

T&T football is now being managed by a normalization committee comprises of businessman Robert Hadad, the chairman, alongside retired banker Nigel Romano and Attorney Judy Daniel after Wallace and his executive team was removed from office on March 17 by FIFA according to article 8.2 of the FIFA statutes.

Wallace who on Monday led his team to take their battle with the FIFA to the High Court in Port-of-Spain, took a swipe at their detractors, saying the notion of taking a stand without risk is contradictory. “They are basing this on what might happen, assuming that we will be banned for our stance. We are taking a calculated risk, taking into consideration what is happening with FIFA president Gianni Infantino right now internationally, and we are getting the support of the international media but our local media has done otherwise,” Wallace said.

According to Wallace: “Right now our football needs to reset. For the past four years, our football had been going backwards, yet no one stood up and said anything but us (the United TTFA). Now they are telling me about where we are going wrong. This is not a decision that was made just so, we considered several factors before we arrived at this. The big mighty FIFA was brought to its knees before, and while I am not saying that is what I intend to do, we must take a stance against injustice.”

Meanwhile, Stern John, an assistant coach of the country's under-20 football team, is calling for Wallace and his team to do the right thing.

“This is taking TT football back to the stone age and I cannot support that. At the end of the day, football must be the winner. It must not be destroyed at the expense of someone proving a personal point,” John told Guardian Media Sports yesterday afternoon. He believes with the stance being taken that several young TT footballers will suffer.

“I have a son who wants to represent this country, but if we are banned, he may never get the chance, just as many other young players. I think Wallace has gotten it wrong here,” John, the country's all-time top goalscorer explained.

Wallace's team decided to take the FIFA to the local court is a blatant violation of the FIFA Statutes for Member Associations, an action that leads to a ban. However, it is uncertain which ban FIFA could hand down, as one official said “The country, on the whole, could be banned, or there could be a ban on individuals. This decision will be made at the FIFA Congress and that is if the FIFA decides to ban us for the stand we took.”

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wallace: No change without consequences
« Reply #437 on: May 22, 2020, 01:33:32 AM »

“There could be no change without consequences. Some people want to support our stance but are unwilling to accept the consequences,” said William Wallace, former president of the ousted T&T Football Association, who is leading a daring battle against the world governing body for football- FIFA for the right to be the managers of local football told Guardian Media Sports on Thursday.

The team of Wallace, Clynt Taylor, Joseph Sam Phillip and Susan Joseph-Warrick was replaced by a Normalisation Committee appointed by the FIFA because the football association faced a real risk of insolvency.

T&T football is now being managed by a normalization committee comprises of businessman Robert Hadad, the chairman, alongside retired banker Nigel Romano and Attorney Judy Daniel after Wallace and his executive team was removed from office on March 17 by FIFA according to article 8.2 of the FIFA statutes.

Wallace who on Monday led his team to take their battle with the FIFA to the High Court in Port-of-Spain, took a swipe at their detractors, saying the notion of taking a stand without risk is contradictory. “They are basing this on what might happen, assuming that we will be banned for our stance. We are taking a calculated risk, taking into consideration what is happening with FIFA president Gianni Infantino right now internationally, and we are getting the support of the international media but our local media has done otherwise,” Wallace said.

According to Wallace: “Right now our football needs to reset. For the past four years, our football had been going backwards, yet no one stood up and said anything but us (the United TTFA). Now they are telling me about where we are going wrong. This is not a decision that was made just so, we considered several factors before we arrived at this. The big mighty FIFA was brought to its knees before, and while I am not saying that is what I intend to do, we must take a stance against injustice.”

Meanwhile, Stern John, an assistant coach of the country's under-20 football team, is calling for Wallace and his team to do the right thing.

“This is taking TT football back to the stone age and I cannot support that. At the end of the day, football must be the winner. It must not be destroyed at the expense of someone proving a personal point,” John told Guardian Media Sports yesterday afternoon. He believes with the stance being taken that several young TT footballers will suffer.

“I have a son who wants to represent this country, but if we are banned, he may never get the chance, just as many other young players. I think Wallace has gotten it wrong here,” John, the country's all-time top goalscorer explained.

Wallace's team decided to take the FIFA to the local court is a blatant violation of the FIFA Statutes for Member Associations, an action that leads to a ban. However, it is uncertain which ban FIFA could hand down, as one official said “The country, on the whole, could be banned, or there could be a ban on individuals. This decision will be made at the FIFA Congress and that is if the FIFA decides to ban us for the stand we took.”
to hell with you and your son mr john. you sat there for three years with Dennis the menace while he experimented with our national team and obliterating football, but you wasn’t concerned then about your son’s future weren’t you? neither were you concerned when yourself and Dennis broke ranks with the rest of the team in their pursuit of justice from jack Warner’s million dollar heist after the World Cup.

as it stands I would rather a ban on TT football than to see a return of DJW or another jackass like him, so please fifa do us all a favor and ban football for 100 yrs, who cares, I’m actually tired of seeing us struggle against the Central Americans anyway, but I have a strong suspicion that they would only ban wallace and look loy so that they could maintain their puppet vote, and in that case I will never support TT football ever again, the same way I would never support liverpool or Sunderland ever again.

It would be real sweet if Wallace and company bring down this present fifa government, in like manner how chuck blazer brought down jack warner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 08:34:49 AM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It should be increasingly clear why slavery persisted as a century long venture.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
It should be increasingly clear why slavery persisted as a century long venture.
you're telling? this thing is like a never ending nightmare we take five steps forward and a dozen backwards. never thought it would be fifa and another dictatorial local boy to do it to us again, just when you thought we got jack and sepp off our backs for good, they were replaced by david and gianni. what a shame.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
you're telling? this thing is like a never ending nightmare we take five steps forward and a dozen backwards. never thought it would be fifa and another dictatorial local boy to do it to us again, just when you thought we got jack and sepp off our backs for good, they were replaced by david and gianni. what a shame.

never ending saga

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Heard last night that the United ttfa now wants to negotiate with fifa now, what the pumpernickel is wrong with wallace? He’s all over the place.

one day he’s taking his case the to CAS then he’s reconsidering the cost, then he’s taking them to CAS again, then he’s considering the integrity of CAS, then he’s taking them to the high court and now again he wants to bargain with fifa when fifa has been resolute in their intentions and has not wavered in their commitment.

I’m not going to lie, I am beginning to sense that this man really don’t have a plan and is behaving like he don’t know what he’s doing, why is he dealing with things so viki vie? I’m also beginning to lose confidence in his leadership in regards to his wavering back and forth. come on wallace get it together, it’s either yuh in or out but stop showing your hand please.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 10:19:17 AM by pull stones »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
These are very Abnormal times in our football governance-

Why is it so challenging to find competent leaderspih  for the TTFA?  Is there a job description and criteria for this?
 Or does everyone who aspire for this position have visions of getting rich quickly by mismanaging funds and building  vacuoles legacies ?

Land yuh would think that they all so duncee  like they graduate from the school of you ent see yet.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
These are very Abnormal times in our football governance-

Why is it so challenging to find competent leaderspih  for the TTFA?  Is there a job description and criteria for this?
 Or does everyone who aspire for this position have visions of getting rich quickly by mismanaging funds and building  vacuoles legacies ?

Land yuh would think that they all so duncee  like they graduate from the school of you ent see yet.
you must keep in mind that federation presidents are elected not selected and you don’t need special qualifications according to fifa’s constitution. btw mate you don’t need to be super educated or overly qualified to be a prime minister or even the president of the United States, just look at Donald trump, I’d be extremely surprised if he had an associate’s degree from a community college. 

Offline raj

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA's impending ban for Trinidad is near. For the overall good of our program, I believe that William Wallace should begin to negotiate with FIFA. We need a win-win situation for the future of football in Trinidad. Sometimes falling on the sword for the greater good is the best strategic option. Wallace et al can try for re-election after normalization. A FIFA ban will hurt an already compromised program and put us behind 20 years. Very sad to say but this is reality!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Raj. Show your Fatima colours nah man.

Nitendo Vinces!

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA's impending ban for Trinidad is near. For the overall good of our program, I believe that William Wallace should begin to negotiate with FIFA. We need a win-win situation for the future of football in Trinidad. Sometimes falling on the sword for the greater good is the best strategic option. Wallace et al can try for re-election after normalization. A FIFA ban will hurt an already compromised program and put us behind 20 years. Very sad to say but this is reality!
id rather see us banned than to continue along these lines of malignant mismanagement. after all what future do we have in football? We are years behind in concacaf and left in the dust and would need a miracle to play catch up.

we don’t have a good professional league, we don’t have a proper youth system, we don’t have infrastructural development neither do we have a sustainable revenue steam to keep football afloat, in fact we depend on the government to fund the national teams as well as the pro league, so what hurt are you talking about? we’ve already hit rock bottom and the only way to go now is up. nothing can hurt football more than it already is DJW and Ollie camps has sealed our fate for years to come.

MY gripe with Wallace is that he seems to be I’ll advised with no visible means of support and fifa can sense that. his latest call for negotiations will never happen IMO, fifa will not reply to his call because they want him to act irrationally by going to the high court so they can ban the executive (wallace, look loy, phillip and warrick) and that would be an even better scenario for fifa because WW would now be out of the way for good.

what im hoping he does is wait it out for the two years and allow FIFA to hang themselves, let them spend their money while he and his team try to build relationships with the clubs, zones  and potential sponsors then fight for the elections again, but I swear they would ban him WW and leave the ttfa for another puppet cronie to govern and mind you, I don’t care if they banned the ttfa in the least, but I do see it as foolishness if WW and company went and got themselves banned and nothing came of their plight, in fact it would be an utterly nonsensical move on their part.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 11:35:13 AM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Raj. Show your Fatima colours nah man.

Nitendo Vinces!
FF I know your heart is in the right place, but can you honestly tell me that these guys inspire any confidence in you? one day they’re going to CAS, then the next day they are reconsidering their next move, then the next day is back to CAS, then the next day they change their song again, now they are off to the negotiation table to haggle with an organization who clearly wants them out the way. so how can I stand by them at all.

it’s aboundantly clear what will happen here, fifa will not meet them on any favorable terms because that’s not their plan, they will ignore them so that they would make irrational moves so that they could place a heavy ban on them, not the ttfa itself but the executive, which would put FIFA in an e en better position, now does that make sense to you?

Online Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chance to blow the whistle on FIFA issue
« Reply #448 on: May 23, 2020, 12:24:19 PM »
T&T Express

I refer to my letter to the editor (Express, May 15) on the situation of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and their spat with FIFA, where I commented on the futility of TTFA’s stance and sought to put the right context to the comments made by Colin Murray (on the moral authority of FIFA) and the non-relevance this has to the particulars of this TTFA vs FIFA issue.

I now see the matter has gone to the High Court. This move simplifies the process of resolution and will go far to preventing any serious fallout between Trinidad and Tobago and FIFA over the short or medium term.

Allowing the High Court in Trinidad and Tobago to address the matter has made the process more straightforward and will create no obstacle for the local court to end this charade in a manner that preserves the integrity and dignity of our nation.

The only parties impacted will be the current TTFA administrators.

Dave Wallace can still be offered kudos for his valiant stance and we can then close the chapter on this awkward misadventure.

The local court gets a chance to quell the imperiousness of the local body through a purely local process, thus leaving FIFA and its general relationship with Trinidad and Tobago unscathed.

The basis of the action is already circumscribed. TTFA has little latitude to usurp the rules of the international body, especially when FIFA is acting within its own self- regulating standards and procedures.

FIFA is still within its own jurisdiction to act. The issue of a civil action for committing a wrong within the jurisdiction of T&T will logically require a different set of offences on the part of FIFA.

Such offences are not likely to be found given the nature of the issue. FIFA has the authority of its bye-laws both behind it and on its side.

I trust we will soon see the end of this issue and the ushering in of a transformation that can see football administration in T&T progress to a higher level of accountability and integrity.

Notwithstanding all this, the basic culture of corruption that still pervades this society needs to be vigilantly guarded against and not allowed to seep into what has been otherwise changed for the better.

John Thompson
St James

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Chance to blow the whistle on FIFA issue
« Reply #449 on: May 23, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »
T&T Express

I refer to my letter to the editor (Express, May 15) on the situation of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and their spat with FIFA, where I commented on the futility of TTFA’s stance and sought to put the right context to the comments made by Colin Murray (on the moral authority of FIFA) and the non-relevance this has to the particulars of this TTFA vs FIFA issue.

I now see the matter has gone to the High Court. This move simplifies the process of resolution and will go far to preventing any serious fallout between Trinidad and Tobago and FIFA over the short or medium term.

Allowing the High Court in Trinidad and Tobago to address the matter has made the process more straightforward and will create no obstacle for the local court to end this charade in a manner that preserves the integrity and dignity of our nation.

The only parties impacted will be the current TTFA administrators.

Dave Wallace can still be offered kudos for his valiant stance and we can then close the chapter on this awkward misadventure.

The local court gets a chance to quell the imperiousness of the local body through a purely local process, thus leaving FIFA and its general relationship with Trinidad and Tobago unscathed.

The basis of the action is already circumscribed. TTFA has little latitude to usurp the rules of the international body, especially when FIFA is acting within its own self- regulating standards and procedures.

FIFA is still within its own jurisdiction to act. The issue of a civil action for committing a wrong within the jurisdiction of T&T will logically require a different set of offences on the part of FIFA.

Such offences are not likely to be found given the nature of the issue. FIFA has the authority of its bye-laws both behind it and on its side.

I trust we will soon see the end of this issue and the ushering in of a transformation that can see football administration in T&T progress to a higher level of accountability and integrity.

Notwithstanding all this, the basic culture of corruption that still pervades this society needs to be vigilantly guarded against and not allowed to seep into what has been otherwise changed for the better.

John Thompson
St James

Who the hell is dave wallace? and I’m trying to wrap my Amin d around his post, what is he saying actually, that once we go to the high court then fifa automatically caves to our demands, is that what he’s saying? because if that’s the case then fifa could site interference and ban the federation or the executive members or both. I’m a bit confused as to what he’s saying.

1]; } ?>