March 28, 2024, 10:19:28 AM

Author Topic: FIFA appoints normalisation committee for Trinidad and Tobago football  (Read 102809 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA is boss...Sport Minister to meet with Robert Hadad soon
« Reply #300 on: April 19, 2020, 09:25:42 AM »
FIFA is boss...Sport Minister to meet with Robert Hadad soon
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

Minister of Sport and Youth Affairs (MSYA) Shamfa Cudjoe is expected to meet with FIFA Normalisation Committee chairman Robert Hadad for the first time sometime next week.

FIFA apart, the T&T Government, through MSYA and the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago, is the major provider of funds to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA).

Cudjoe admitted FIFA had brief the Government of its impending action, prior to dissolving the debt-ridden TTFA on March 17 and subsequently imposing a Normalisation Committee — headed by local businessman Robert Hadad — to manage local football.

“I am yet to meet with the new head of the body, which FIFA has put in charge, but I expect to do so in the next week or so,” informed Cudjoe, who has also indicated to availing herself to a meeting with William Wallace, president of the usurped former TTFA executive.

US$7m debt inherited

Wallace’s regime, which was elected to run the TTFA only five months ago, inherited a US$7m debt; several current and impending litigation matters; and has had its accounts frozen by a creditor prior to when FIFA intervened, citing the possibility of impending insolvency. Wallace has declared that he is still in charge, even as the ousted TTFA executive contest FIFA’S expulsion, via an appeal before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). However, Cudjoe indicated that MSYA would deal with Hadad’s Normalisation Committee rather than Wallace’s former TTFA executive.

“We have to operate on the basis of what is before us,” Cudjoe explained. “Each national body has an international parent body and in the case of football, it is FIFA.

“FIFA has come in and done what it has done. We will monitor what is taking place,” Cudjoe continued. “We have been updated by FIFA and we are keeping abreast of developments.“

The Minister has on several occasions reiterated that football is a very powerful tool for youth development in communities and provides many avenues for personal and professional growth.

Last year, Cudjoe issued a cheque for $3.6 million for funding of eight of 11 clubs that participated in the 2019 Trinidad and Tobago Pro League. Arising from a Cabinet decision to fund the TT Pro League for a period of three years, a number of clubs, namely Central FC, North East Stars FC, Calendonia AIA FC, W Connection FC, Pt Fortin FC, Club Sando FC, Terminex Rangers and San Juan Jabloteh FC.

Cudjoe also does not expect FIFA intervention to last indefinitely and thinks that football needs to be in a better place than it is now. She has urged stakeholders to focus on creating opportunities for the nation’s youth.

“We have all been concerned with the situation in football for some time,” the Sport Minister stated. “I hope that all stakeholders will work together because at the end of the day its about football and restoring Trinidad and Tobago football to its former glory.”
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FIFA appoints normalisation committee for Trinidad and Tobago football
« Reply #301 on: April 19, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
Here's an interesting perspective from Barney Ronay writing in The Guardian (UK): Resistance to FIFA is futile: fall in line or prepare to be Normalised. It references the TTFA matter before CAS.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 19, 2020, 01:37:50 PM »
What am I missing here ? I don't suppose I'll get an answer that , so let me move on to the next by asking  Is anyone surprised by the urgency by the sports minister to meet with Fifa's normalisation appointee Robert Hadad ? I have come to the conclusion I am not at all surprised nor trust any present politician as it stand at the moment ! Here we have the sport minister ready and willingly  sprinting towards a meeting with Robert Hadad what am I missing here ? Didn't mr William Wallace requested an audience/ meeting with the sport minister ? Was it even entertained with the same urgency ! What am I missing here ? Ok I am not missing anything I suppose,  for all along as stated not by me , but the very sports minister Shamfa cudjoe by her admittance that Fifa briefed the government of their ( Fifa) impending action towards TTFA which in fact did come about ( the replacement ) of  the duly elected William Wallace administration ! All I have to say is there goes the very deceit / arrogance/ conneivance I talk about ! Simply put expect more of the same nonsense to repeat itself as long as there are individuals as such as Shamfa cudjoe . Shamfa cudjoe what else did Fifa keep  you and your government abreast of ?  I would not hold my breath for a response !!!  What am I missing !

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 19, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
And no football playing right now whatsoever. Not even a lime kicking. When before we had women's qualifying urgently and men's on the horizon.

Look how these people just abdicating their sovereign duty before you could even say yes massa. Shame on Shamfa.

I done in truth yes.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
St. Clair urges Wallace to rethink position in FIFA/TTFA impasse
« Reply #304 on: April 19, 2020, 07:12:07 PM »
St. Clair urges Wallace to rethink position in FIFA/TTFA impasse

RECENTLY INDUCTED 2020 First Citizens Sports Foundation Hall of Famer Bertille St Clair is concerned about the ramifications if sidelined Trinidad and Tobago Football Association president Williams Wallace persists with a battle against FIFA, the governing body for world football.

Lawyers representing the Wallace-led TTFA executive launched an appeal before the International Court of the Arbitration for Sport (ICAS) on April 6, after the Fédération Internationale De Football Association (FIFA), replaced them and on March 17 imposed a Normalisation Committee led by local businessman Robert Hadad, to run Trinidad and Tobago’s football.

“I just hope they don’t make us get banned by FIFA,” said St Clair, the most successful local coach in T&T history. “A ban will be devastating for the young footballers and that is what football is about, not administrators.”

St Clair was the first football coach from the English-speaking Caribbean to qualify a team for a FIFA World Cup. In 1991, he led a team, which included Dwight Yorke, Jerren Nixon, Angus Eve, Clayton Ince, Shaka Hislop, Anthony Sherwood and Kerwin “Pappa” Emmanuel to participate at the World Youth Championship.

He was also the first coach to take a T&T senior team to a semi-final appearance at the CONCACAF Gold Cup in 2000. The Tobago native has also trained national football teams at every level from Under-13, Under-16, Under-17, Under-20 to the seniors, along with teams in ladies hockey and cricket.

The former school teacher is also counted among the most successful coaches at schoolboy level, claiming five National InterCol titles with Signal Hill Senior Comprehensive (1982, ’87, ’88, ’89, ’95’).

St Clair thinks Wallace and his executives should allow FIFA’s normalisation committee to do its work. A known disciplinarian, St Clair was never one to mince words.

“I don’t know why they are fighting FIFA,” said Sinclair. “You owe $50 million. If they want to come in and want to clean up the thing, let them, then go and win the election after,” he reasoned.

St Clair was among those present last year when FIFA president Gianni Infantino came to T&T last November for the official launch and unveiling of the US$2.5 million Home of Football, built by the world governing body. He believes that Wallace made a huge misstep in closing down the Home of Football. He did not see the wisdom in the TTFA criticising the entity that provided it with a permanent home.

“That is a fantastic facility (HoF),” St Clair noted. “If there are some things wrong with it, then fix it. You don’t close it down. That makes no sense.”

In a long and distinguished career, St Clair, 78, has travelled the world and interacted with players, coaches and officials at all levels. And he does not feel Wallace’s battle against FIFA is one that can be won. “FIFA is the boss. They control everything. I really hope we don’t get in problems with FIFA,” St Clair reiterated.

“I want to see a change, a big improvement in Trinidad football. We were ranked number 25 in the world once, and now we are a hundred and something. Something has to change, and it will not be easy,” he concluded.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 20, 2020, 05:31:44 AM »
What am I missing here ? I don't suppose I'll get an answer that , so let me move on to the next by asking  Is anyone surprised by the urgency by the sports minister to meet with Fifa's normalisation appointee Robert Hadad ? I have come to the conclusion I am not at all surprised nor trust any present politician as it stand at the moment ! Here we have the sport minister ready and willingly  sprinting towards a meeting with Robert Hadad what am I missing here ? Didn't mr William Wallace requested an audience/ meeting with the sport minister ? Was it even entertained with the same urgency ! What am I missing here ? Ok I am not missing anything I suppose,  for all along as stated not by me , but the very sports minister Shamfa cudjoe by her admittance that Fifa briefed the government of their ( Fifa) impending action towards TTFA which in fact did come about ( the replacement ) of  the duly elected William Wallace administration ! All I have to say is there goes the very deceit / arrogance/ conneivance I talk about ! Simply put expect more of the same nonsense to repeat itself as long as there are individuals as such as Shamfa cudjoe . Shamfa cudjoe what else did Fifa keep  you and your government abreast of ?  I would not hold my breath for a response !!!  What am I missing !
please mate I beg you, do not go down that road. and furthermore please don’t give that wanker named controversial fuel to add to his ridiculous notions that the government are somehow in cahoots with FIFA to wreck TT football.

we all know the reason why the government is meeting with Robert hadad, it’s because they need the use of the HOF for the covid 19  step down facility, other than that they and FIFA have no business together.

I listen to shamfa’s interview concerning the ttff and she said in the past few years when the government wanted to help football the ttfa (and I’m guessing it was during DJW tenure) they would say that they only answer to fifa, she also claimed that when the United ttfa won the election they never reached out to the government, and now that they are in war with FIFA they are now trying to reach out to the MOS, and quite frankly i don’t blame her.

we all love and want nothing more than to support the new ttfa, but let’s not ignore the fact that this new administration started off on the wrong foot by misrepresenting a few things both with NIKE and junior sammy, not to mention their failure seeking out the government’s help with bringing the HOF up to a working standard as early as december. and has missed out on the whole carnival season where they had the facility to at least keep a few fetes as a means to raise funds.

I really don’t believe the government have anything to gain by getting in bed with FIFA, I just don’t see the point of it.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 04:07:37 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 20, 2020, 05:39:14 AM »
And no football playing right now whatsoever. Not even a lime kicking. When before we had women's qualifying urgently and men's on the horizon.

Look how these people just abdicating their sovereign duty before you could even say yes massa. Shame on Shamfa.

I done in truth yes.
mate the media is putting words in the woman’s mouth, I watched the clip and basically she was saying that when the government reached out to the federation about the state of football and they brush off the government by invoking “we only answer to fifa”, now I’m guessing that this was during fat boy tenure, she also said that the United ttfa made no efforts to reach them until they ran into trouble with FIFA. take that for what it’s worth.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sports Minister not picking sides in TTFA, FIFA wrangle
« Reply #307 on: April 20, 2020, 06:24:29 AM »
Sports Minister not picking sides in TTFA, FIFA wrangle

SPORTS MINISTER Shamfa Cudjoe has declared that the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs (MSYA) will remain neutral in the battle between ousted executives of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) and FIFA, the governing body for world football.

While the parties will make their case before the Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), Minister Cudjoe firmly declared that MSYA’s position is one of neutrality and that Government will not pick sides. “I am not here to be neither judge nor juror,” Cudjoe stated.

The executive of the William Wallace-led TTFA administration filed an appeal with CAS on April 6, after FIFA intervened in the running of Trinidad and Tobago football on March 17. FIFA then set up a normalisation committee headed by businessman Robert Hadad to restructure local football.

After initially filing the complaint of the TTFA executives, attorneys Matthew Gayle and Dr Emir Crowne followed up by filing an appellate brief on Friday, April 17, giving details of the complaint, including witnesses, and experts to be called.

Today, FIFA is expected to send its response to CAS. The Court will then look at the merits of each argument, deciding if there is a case that has been made, and give further instruction on how the matter would proceed.

Today, FIFA is expected to send its response to CAS. The Court will then look at the merits of each argument, deciding if there is a case that has been made, and give further instruction on how the matter would proceed.

Minister Cudjoe stressed MSYA’s neutrality in the matter and at the same time, she recognised that as the governing body for football, FIFA would take particular actions according to its statutes. “We have to deal with what is before us. What has happened has already happened,” Cudjoe added. “We can’t make FIFA not step in anymore. FIFA has already stepped in.”

She also wanted to clarify a miscommunication. The minister said she had no prior knowledge of FIFA’S decision to appoint a normalisation committee and added that FIFA informed her of their action, only after an official release was sent out by the world governing body on March 17.

“After the public announcement was made…it was only after I was told by FIFA,” Cudjoe stated. “As a matter of fact, when the press release was circulated on the media and the media contacted me, I couldn’t even give media (a) comment because they (FIFA) had not been in contact with me on the matter.”

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 20, 2020, 06:24:42 AM »
“I just hope they don’t make us get banned by FIFA,” said St Clair, the most successful local coach in T&T history. “A ban will be devastating for the young footballers and that is what football is about, not administrators.”

The TTFA can't be banned for pursuing process with CAS. Please stop the nonsense!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 20, 2020, 09:04:04 AM »
"we all know the reason why the government is meeting with Robert hadad, it’s because they need the use of the HOF for the covid 19  step down facility, other than that they and FIFA have no business together."

In another post I attempted to explain why the HoF as displayed was not needed as part of the Covid 19 response in the very near future.
Secondly, if Hadad and Government have to meet concerning it's use, that would be a meeting with the Ministry of Health, and/or Ministry of National Security and Ministry of Works and other related officers (Regional corporation, Safety Inspectors,etc). There is absolutely no reason for the MSYA to be meeting with anybody concerning Covid19 at this time. Again, conclude what you may, but make sure you have facts, at least as much info as you can get.

add: https://www.facebook.com/tttliveonline/videos/344597143166976/
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 01:18:21 PM by maxg »

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 20, 2020, 01:06:43 PM »
Pull stones I  have never and neither  will I get into any  tug of war  between  ( yourself and  contro ) or any member here on this forum for that matter , so here is my reluctant response to you , you are free to be critical or share your point of view/ views on any subject matter  I have no issue with that , I hope we understand each other clearly my friend ! Keep in mind and I'll mention it  once more I neither want to get into any tit for tat between you and  contro or  any member here thats my simple response !  Respectfully so .

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 20, 2020, 01:23:05 PM »
While I understand the complexities of this case, Shamfa should be on TTFA side. Wallace did not do anything wrong other than report some deficiencies in the facility. Rightly so.  So Hadad and the govt saying the place is ready. So I guess the Fire Services wrong about the assessment of the place. Who is paying the liability ? And who is paying for the additional repairs or structural issues that Wallace claimed. So Wallace and them was lying?

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 20, 2020, 04:05:59 PM »
While I understand the complexities of this case, Shamfa should be on TTFA side. Wallace did not do anything wrong other than report some deficiencies in the facility. Rightly so.  So Hadad and the govt saying the place is ready. So I guess the Fire Services wrong about the assessment of the place. Who is paying the liability ? And who is paying for the additional repairs or structural issues that Wallace claimed. So Wallace and them was lying?
Deeks Well breds  yuh on point !  Shamfa cudjoe is speaking from both sides of her mouth !  She is sworn by an oath to uphold her duties impartially , she clearly hasn't done so !

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 20, 2020, 04:29:22 PM »
deeks i would like you to listen to live interviews and sound bites instead of relying on the news articles which outside of liburd’s articles are filled with misinformation.

in a news briefing I heard the PM stated he was in touch with the fire service and the relevant authorities and was working with them to bring the HOF up to standard, which means that it was acknowledged that the facility was indeed unprepared to be occupied, but you must remember the government could get things expedited especially in a time of crisis.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 20, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »
deeks i would like you to listen to live interviews and sound bites instead of relying on the news articles which outside of liburd’s articles are filled with misinformation.

in a news briefing I heard the PM stated he was in touch with the fire service and the relevant authorities and was working with them to bring the HOF up to standard, which means that it was acknowledged that the facility was indeed unprepared to be occupied, but you must remember the government could get things expedited especially in a time of crisis.

Thanks for the info. But the way things are being put out there, even before Shamfa news conference, was that nothing was wrong the the socalled HOF and Wallace and was on a witch hunt. I wonder if Wallace had gone to the govt to help defray the cost to finish the HOF and fast-track the fire codes, I wonder what Shamfa would have said to him. Pull, I listen to some of the news briefings on WACK. I did not hear the part pertaining to the the HOF.

But in this time of crisis, I am glad the govt has stepped in to use the facility. And as you said they can expedite all the deficiencies by the flick of a switch. They throw Wallace under the bus though.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:11:05 PM by Deeks »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: April 21, 2020, 08:15:07 AM »

Thanks for the info. But the way things are being put out there, even before Shamfa news conference, was that nothing was wrong the the socalled HOF and Wallace and was on a witch hunt. I wonder if Wallace had gone to the govt to help defray the cost to finish the HOF and fast-track the fire codes, I wonder what Shamfa would have said to him. Pull, I listen to some of the news briefings on WACK. I did not hear the part pertaining to the the HOF.

But in this time of crisis, I am glad the govt has stepped in to use the facility. And as you said they can expedite all the deficiencies by the flick of a switch. They throw Wallace under the bus though.
ill tell you what, I have no position on the government or Wallace, but what I can tell you is that the football community is who threw WW under the bus, in fact they tied him and let the bus rollover him. everyone so far who has weighed in from Dwight yorke to brain williams to st claire has all sided with FIFA and I want to believe that the fat boss is on friendly terms with all those guys.

I say so because when we were running ragged under Dennis lawrence and his employer none of these guys had anything to say, in fact they all had laryngitis, now that the administration has changed then suddenly everyone regained their voice and somehow has something to say in favor of FIFA? they need to get off it.

as far as I can see I got the sense that the government really tries to stay away from football because of the stigma that is attached to both with jack and david. I’m telling you from what I’ve witnessed dr rowley did not trust DJW and worst yet jack warner, and he wanted nothing to do with financing football because of the lack of transparency in the former ttfa under DJW.

In case you didn’t know, rowley and raymond timkee were not only friends but they were also party affiliates, it was rowley who made timkee major by choosing him to represent the party, and rowley supported timkee 200%, but timkee died right after the election so the ttfa was very unlucky in that  regard because their pathway to govt funding was severed.

I’m here listening to everybody trying to put the government in the stew even when they don’t know nor do they closely follow current affairs in trinbago, yet they talk as if they have a front row seat to the precedings.

going to trinidad as often as I do now i’ve made friends with some government insiders who knows the deal and informed me that the prime minister is a sport lover contrary to what others might think, and he’s particularly crazy over cricket and wasn’t very happy with the way football was mishandled (men’s women’s children’s) under fat boy’s tenure and showed interest in supporting the untied ttfa, but wanted to stay very clear of fifa because of the way they did business.

WW on the other hand waited too long and never reached out to the government until he ran into trouble with FIFA, I know he means well but he was supposed to fix that HOF and got on with the business. I knew he also thought he had all the time in the world to get things done, but as an act of good faith he should’ve reach out to the MOS at least and lay out his concerns, oh well. he definitely missed out on an opportunity to work with the government.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 08:37:49 AM by pull stones »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 21, 2020, 10:04:57 AM »
WW on the other hand waited too long and never reached out to the government until he ran into trouble with FIFA, I know he means well but he was supposed to fix that HOF and got on with the business. I knew he also thought he had all the time in the world to get things done, but as an act of good faith he should’ve reach out to the MOS at least and lay out his concerns, oh well. he definitely missed out on an opportunity to work with the government.

I agree with you on that. But still there is the 50 million to eradicate. The HOF was supposedly finished. Now he has to find another set of money to fix the HOF.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 10:07:09 AM by Deeks »

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
This whole situation I do think could have been handled so much better with all the parties reaching out to each other collectively / in more unified manner! Now that being said hindsight is 20/20 , I still believe Fifa's approach in addressing the issues concerning ttfa debt as well as other related issues comes across as too heavy handed , as well as not respectful of duly elected ttfa administration , don't you think a better way was to work together with the then William Wallace administration with their Fifa's guidance in good faith I'm sure none of us will have a problem that ! As for mr William Wallace not seeking government / business contacts assistance early enough  in order to get the outstanding issues concerning the HOF taken care of , I really don't know what say , but only mr Wallace can address that , I guess that's a topic for next day . Let me just say am happy to know the HOF will be operational soon ! Kudos  to that

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2020, 01:56:04 PM »
This whole situation I do think could have been handled so much better with all the parties reaching out to each other collectively / in more unified manner! Now that being said hindsight is 20/20 , I still believe Fifa's approach in addressing the issues concerning ttfa debt as well as other related issues comes across as too heavy handed , as well as not respectful of duly elected ttfa administration , don't you think a better way was to work together with the then William Wallace administration with their Fifa's guidance in good faith I'm sure none of us will have a problem that ! As for mr William Wallace not seeking government / business contacts assistance early enough  in order to get the outstanding issues concerning the HOF taken care of , I really don't know what say , but only mr Wallace can address that , I guess that's a topic for next day . Let me just say am happy to know the HOF will be operational soon ! Kudos  to that

The timing is impeccable...

Corruption probe, dismissal of WW and team, colonial esque takeovers to cover up corruption, install puppet, then fix HOF in time of crisis for great PR and to sweep any corruption under the rug, while pretending to remain neutral and unbiased

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 22, 2020, 05:26:30 AM »

who was giveing him money for that  ... He said to repair/finish  HOF cost in the millions remember. So this covid situation benefit  the ttfa .. BTW TTFA getting money now or the  HOF is being used  free of charge ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 22, 2020, 06:01:49 AM »

who was giveing him money for that  ... He said to repair/finish  HOF cost in the millions remember. So this covid situation benefit  the ttfa .. BTW TTFA getting money now or the  HOF is being used  free of charge ?
fifa offered it for free and the government grabbed it and ran with it. I guess it’s an even trade with the amount of money needed to bring the place up to code, but I seriously doubt if it was that expensive to bring it up to code,  ay etc he was talking about making additional features to the place like a gym and a fitness pool, but I can’t see repairing an elevator shaft, fire exits and commercial insurance costing that much.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2020, 07:47:43 AM »
There is a lot of muddying of water taking place, but I don't anticipate that lasting much longer.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FIFA, T&T government versus TTFA?
« Reply #322 on: April 22, 2020, 05:02:36 PM »
FIFA, T&T government versus TTFA?
By Colin Murray (T&T Guardian)

William Wallace, what have you done? In local jargon, “like you kill priest or what?”

Poor Wally must have thought that he was just fighting the Incredible Hulk only to realise in the past week or so that he has come up against Superman, Iron Man and Batwoman, especially, flexing her muscles and warning him not to play games.

Wow! you may say. Just when you thought you’d seen it all.

Here we are again, the ex-executive of the TTFA (T&T Football Association) and this normalisation committee. The movie continues with more characters added into the script. Let me once again state I have no issue with the concept of FIFA’s normalisation committee entering any member association.

What I have a problem with is how it was done to the TTFA and the timing of the action by the star of the movie - FIFA. I will not state the obvious why FIFA brought this normalization committee onboard after their president was here to open the ‘Home of Football’ (Couva).

It is interesting to note that some former national footballers such as Dwight Yorke and Carlos Edwards are in support of the normalisation committee. I am not surprised at this stance as when you speak with so many of our athletes in various sporting disciplines, they complain bitterly about administrators and, in their view, their seeming quest for power and failure to adequately look after their welfare. This bears no difference in football.

I am sure we remember the fight our Soca Warriors had to endure after they returned from Germany back in 2006. I expect the ‘new’ ex-executive of the TTFA without having been given a decent chance to prove themselves would be lumped in that category.

I also read a letter to the Guardian Sports Editor last Sunday from Earl 'Ballhog" Jean who signed the piece as “Football coach” pleading with Wallace and company that “...good sense ought to prevail”. Only on checking his credentials, I realised he is the football coach of W Connection of which the former president of TTFA has a significant interest. The thing is when football was on the downward slide with money being thrown away and the debt increasing exponentially from $15 Million to $50 Million, where were these voices? Suddenly they have sprung to life.

Mr Wallace and his executive shut down the ‘Home of Football’ because it did not meet certain statutory requirements but in just one week and with a small army of private sector companies, the facility’s wellness centre is ready for use at no cost to the TTFA.

Now, I am overjoyed because the virus we are fighting here is a killer and anything anyone can do to save a fellow human being's life must be applauded. But one must ask the question: why couldn’t William Wallace get the job done and bring the building up to scratch and have it ready for use?

It’s been widely publicised by the ex-TTFA executive that the building was unfit for use. This is after the building was masqueraded behind a grand opening with FIFA president Gianni Infantino, T&T’s Prime Minister, Minister of Sports and other dignitaries in attendance. Everyone walked around with big smiles, handshakes, hugs and kisses and then have the audacity to close the building.

The strange thing is not a word from no one. How come none of the dignitaries questioned the closure of the building? More than that, to me this was not only a black mark against the TTFA but T&T as we took FIFA’s money, had an opening and it was then shut down with seemingly no questions asked.

It is alleged that Wallace had put through several calls to the Minister of Sports after the TTFA elections in November 2019 and she never returned any. Now, surely, even if she was uninterested in his football plans, she must have cared about the ‘Home of Football’.

Unfortunately, things are not making sense to me.

All it would have taken is a return call to get the relevant statutory agencies involved and the facility would have been up and running since January, so why didn’t they offer to fix it before? I also read where the Minister of Sports admitted FIFA had briefed the T&T government of its impending action, before dissolving the TTFA and imposing a normalisation committee.

What is even more startling, the Minister of Sports said, “I am yet to meet with the new head of the body, which FIFA has put in charge but I expect to do so in the next week or so”.

Yet a democratically elected board for over three months, she never once met with its head. The Minister ultimately distanced herself from the story and she also claimed that Wallace never reached out to her and only did so about two weeks before the normalization committee was appointed, and insisting she was neutral about the tussle between FIFA and TTFA.

Strangely enough, the Minister says all of a sudden the TTFA wants protection from FIFA and points out that two years ago, there was an issue with the women’s national senior team and they asked for the Ministry’s intervention. She was told that she should not be in the meeting as TTFA reports to FIFA. Were those Wallace’s words two years ago?

You see, just like you, I long to get off this roller coaster. All I want is what’s best for T&T football.

Thanks to CNC3, I recently relived one of my life’s most cherished moments - a trip to Bahrain to do commentary on our eventual victory to seal World Cup qualification.

It hurts to see what is happening to T&T football off the field. A democratically elected body after three months in office being hounded out by an organisation seeking its agenda and our people in T&T playing a mischievous political game to assist that body with their political aspirations.

Wallace, you will do well to remember King Austin sang “No one can deny, the price of progress is high”.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 23, 2020, 06:03:38 AM »
Collin Murray I agree with you, in fact we all agree with you but please do not toss the government into this stew. I do agree earl jean, sancho, Carlos, Brian Williams, Dwight york, russel latapy, bertile at claire and the rest of the chorus has been very one sided on this issue, but to insinuate that our government is willing to assist fifa to mangle football in this country for fifa own gain is ridiculous.

I believe that shamfa and Wallace did not meet because they wanted the fat boss to win election, i believe they just didn’t get together since that’s very possible due to the fact that reaching a government minister on the phone could be a very daunting task, but wallace had the option to walk in the ministry and set up an appointment, simple.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: April 23, 2020, 07:27:41 AM »
I know it's a tough pill to swallow,  but the political players do NOT get a pass. They did what they did out of conviction, convenience and perceived interest.

Just as nature conceptually abhors a vacuum, so too does naivete lead to unrecognized consequences. Bear in mind that "political" and "governmental" are not synonymous but they share "messengers" and beneficiaries.

Football won't die but the battle for the spoils will be brutal. (Just in case anyone honestly/mistakenly anticipates a coming period of unbridled prosperity ... and tranquility.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 07:48:41 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
No, William
« Reply #325 on: April 24, 2020, 09:40:14 AM »
No, William
T&T Express

Businessman and former club owner Arthur Suite is urging ousted Football Association (TTFA) president William Wallace to call off legal action against FIFA for sidelining him and his executive.

“Sorry, Mr William Wallace. I have tried very hard but have failed to come up with a reason that I can support your actions to oppose FIFA’s appointment of a “normalisation committee”, Suite wrote in an open letter yesterday.

In his letter, Suite was clear in his view that FIFA was not the enemy.

“Sorry, Mr Wallace, but your fight is not against FIFA but the state of the bankrupt TTFA that you inherited,” he wrote.

In the late 1970s and early ‘80s Suite, the owner of Aviation Services Limited, was the driving force behind the establishment of the Trinidad and Tobago Premier Soccer League, an attempt at professional football that was shortlived.

In his letter, Suite suggested that Wallace’s team would lose their case at the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). Noting that the Act of Parliament granted the TTFA the right to regulate and control football in the country under FIFA, he argued that in so doing, it surrendered all the TTFA’s rights to the world body.

Suite also described the local FA as bankrupt, with a debt of approximately US$5.5 million that it is unable to liquidate. He added, “...and as such, this debt affects TTFA’s ability to operate on a daily/monthly basis without one of its creditors seeking and obtaining judgment against the TTFA and the threat of one of its creditors foreclosing on the TTFA. This could be a major embarrassment, not only to the Government of Trinidad and Tobago but to FIFA as well.”

The TTFA’s current debt actually lies in the vicinity of US$7 million.

Suite stated it was well known that the TTFA’s financial state was not created by Wallace and his executive but he added that no one knew how Wallace intended to liquidate the organisation’s massive debt.

The former football promoter then raised the question of whether it was more than that debt that prompted FIFA to move against Wallace and his executive.

“Was there such an insurmountable problem after the official opening of this joint venture, ‘Home of Football Hotel’ between FIFA and the Government of Trinidad and Tobago that caused the closure of this Football Hotel immediately after Mr Wallace was elected into office?” he asked.

“Could Mr Wallace not have fixed this problem quietly, quickly and peacefully in order to save any embarrassment to (the) FIFA president, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, the Minister of Sport and the former president of TTFA who attended the official opening of the Hotel?” Suite continued, adding: “It’s the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Suite added:”TTFA is totally dependent on finances from FIFA and the Government of Trinidad and Tobago, and as such the TTFA cannot be disrespectful at any time to FIFA or the Government of Trinidad and Tobago.”

He urged the Wallace-led executive to withdraw its action, accept change and “do what is best” for the country’s football.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 24, 2020, 12:41:17 PM »

“Could Mr Wallace not have fixed this problem quietly, quickly and peacefully in order to save any embarrassment to (the) FIFA president, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, the Minister of Sport and the former president of TTFA who attended the official opening of the Hotel?”
Suite continued, adding: “It’s the last straw that breaks the camel’s back.”

Yes Arthur. You identify the real victims in all of this. Brilliant.

Steups, fack outta here with this garbage
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 24, 2020, 12:52:23 PM »

“Could Mr Wallace not have fixed this problem quietly, quickly and peacefully in order to save any embarrassment to (the) FIFA president, the Prime Minister of Trinidad and Tobago, the Minister of Sport and the former president of TTFA who attended the official opening of the Hotel?”

:thumbsup:
They does keep pulling yuh back in, eh ?   :devil:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #328 on: April 24, 2020, 12:57:35 PM »
Collin Murray I agree with you, in fact we all agree with you but please do not toss the government into this stew. I do agree earl jean, sancho, Carlos, Brian Williams, Dwight york, russel latapy, bertile at claire and the rest of the chorus has been very one sided on this issue, but to insinuate that our government is willing to assist fifa to mangle football in this country for fifa own gain is ridiculous.

I believe that shamfa and Wallace did not meet because they wanted the fat boss to win election, i believe they just didn’t get together since that’s very possible due to the fact that reaching a government minister on the phone could be a very daunting task, but wallace had the option to walk in the ministry and set up an appointment, simple.

Your head hard boy...

You in bed with the govt? You stand to get some contract or money under the table?

Is that why Murray shouldn't talk about the complicity of TT govt in all of this?

I'm trying to understand your motivation for continuously shutting down anyone who makes a connection to our corrupt govt locally...

Even when presented with facts, you sidestep, what is your story?

I bet if I dig deep as to who you really are we will find out why you so adamant to defend this govt...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #329 on: April 24, 2020, 01:00:17 PM »

These men in the house, popping up everywhere..

I didnt realize TT had so many sell outs ... its glaring

1]; } ?>