March 28, 2024, 05:58:36 AM

Author Topic: Molik Khan Thread  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Molik Khan Thread
« on: April 15, 2020, 02:22:35 PM »
Meet Molik Khan
Total SporTT Media

Molik made his T&T Pro League debut at just 15 years of age for W Connection, and still is one of the youngest on the team.

Where did you learn to play football?
I grew up playing football in a Savannah called the "horseshoe" located in my hometown Pleasantville.

Interests beside football?
I don't really do much beside football, just rock back and play a lil game with my brothers and them.

Advice given to you by senior players when making pro-league debut at 15?
Some of the senior players told me, just go out there and do my thing, be calm, do what I'm accustomed doing and just have fun.

How did it feel making your debut at such a young age?
It was a very good feeling. A very exciting moment to showcase my talent, but at a higher level.

Dream club to play at?
FC Barcelona. Ever since I was small I used to watch this team mainly because of Messi, and as the years went by I started to develop a love for the team.

Nicknames on the team?
I have two nicknames on the team, some call me "J-man", and others call me "Young Williams" which is an inside joke amongst ourselves.

Friends on the team?
Some of my friends include: Denzil Smith, Ronald Charles and Isaiah Garcia

Which player do you model your game after?
On the attacking side, I try as much to follow Ronaldinho. Some of the skills he did in the past attracted my interest and, I just try to follow him to give the defenders some trouble.

Where do you see yourself at aged 20?
I see myself outside playing for a professional club making my friends, family, everybody who looked for me and most importantly myself proud.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Molik Khan Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2020, 12:12:39 PM »
Keep allyuh eyes on this youth man. Hopefully he gets good guidance and remains committed and focused.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2020, 12:31:57 PM »
Keep allyuh eyes on this youth man. Hopefully he gets good guidance and remains committed and focused.

Agreed, there's not a shred of doubt about that. The hurdle for him is our environment.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 12:41:36 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 12:34:00 PM »

Agreed, there's not a shred of doubt about that. The hurdle for him is our environment.

Which means he needs to hurdle it and get out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 12:43:30 PM »

Which means he needs to hurdle it and get out.

Yep. He caught the eye of a coach near where Poon is.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 01:01:17 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/njftqZERvAo" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/njftqZERvAo</a>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 01:09:29 PM by Tallman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 01:26:20 AM »
Lots of positives for Khan from Bolivia debut.
T&T Guardian Reports.

The man touted as a player to look out for T&T - Molik Khan has said it was a learning experience for him in Friday's disastrous 0-5 loss to Bolivia in Sucre.

Khan's excitement to wear the red, white and black started well until the effects of playing 9000 feet above sea level kicked in.

"I felt delighted to have made my debut for my country at such a young age but there is always room for improvement. Making my debut in the high altitude condition was difficult but there were lots of positive things I took from this game and I know I have to work on the negatives moving forward.

My first ten minutes was one of excitement. Excited to get the ball, excited to tackle, excited to run etc, so my first ten minutes was happy because I was playing off emotions and that was keeping me.

As the game progressed the high altitude affected me but I was playing with emotions to keep going."

At 17 Khan said he also got first time experience playing for a coach and a team at an international level, noting that there is a huge demand on players to play at a certain standard.

Khan said he intends to work hard in the coming months to improve himself.

Watch Making your debut at 17 - Molik's perspective

« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 01:20:34 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 05:48:19 PM »
Minnesota United FC 2 signs Molik Khan
mnufc.com

MNUFC2 announced today the club has signed Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Molik Khan to an MLS NEXT Pro professional contract.

Trinidad and Tobago international Molik Khan joins MNUFC2 as the reserve side’s first international signing. The young midfielder began his professional career with W Connection, part of the TT Pro League, where he scored his first professional goal at just of 15 years old, making it a historical appearance for the club. Khan is one the youngest members of the Trinidad and Tobago National Team, making his senior international debut as a sub in a friendly against Bolivia at 17 years old. At just 18 years old, Khan has already performed on international stages with appearances in FIFA Friendlies and in the CONCACAF U15 Championship.

Transaction: MNUFC2 signs Trinidad and Tobago midfielder Molik Khan to an MLS NEXT Pro professional contract.

Name: Molik Jesse Khan
Position: Midfielder
DOB: 04.08.2004 (18 years old)
Height: 6’0”
Birthplace: San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago
Nationality: Trinidad and Tobago

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2022, 08:51:31 AM »
Happy for him. It may only be the Second Team but in these dire times of TT football, it is a ray of light.

All the best Molik.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2022, 10:15:28 AM »
Lemonade is good for you…long as you don’t overdo or drown in it.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2022, 10:17:19 AM by maxg »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2023, 06:29:16 PM »
Molik Jesse Khan: Soccer during Ramadan
By Kyle Hayward (mnufc.com)

For one month out of every year, Muslims across the globe take part in the world’s largest fasting event: Ramadan. Whether you’re a doctor, a teacher, or even a professional athlete, you cannot eat or drink while the sun is up during this holy month. This obviously presents a few challenges, but there’s more to it than just energy levels and nourishment.

In Islamic tradition, the month of Ramadan is among the Five Pillars, the guiding principles of the religion. It offers Muslims a chance to grow spiritually while they show their devotion to Allah, practice self-discipline and empathize with one another. This is believed to be the month during which the Prophet Muhammad received the Qur’an from the angel Gabriel, one of the most important events in the religion’s history.

What has this got to do with Minnesota United, you ask? Well, like so many teams around the globe, we had a few athletes celebrate the holy month here in the Twin Cities. MNUFC2’s very own Molik Jesse Khan spent the last month fasting and helping his team to a great start in MLS NEXT Pro, and he recently sat down to discuss what it’s like to be a professional soccer player during Ramadan.

Khan joined Islam when he was just 8 years old, back in Trinidad and Tobago. He began observing Ramadan with his family when he was about 11 years old, but fully participated at the age of 13. For him, this is by no means a new experience, but it is the first time he is observing the tradition on his own, far from home.

“I observe by myself for the time being,” he said. “My teammate Zaydan [Bello] is also Muslim, so we help each other out on the road when we go for games. He helps me, I help him, you know? To wake up on time and stay committed.”

Balancing an active career with the physical toll of this tradition isn’t easy, but it’s a challenge that Khan embraces. Ramadan requires daily discipline, making for a unique schedule shift.

“My typical day before was to stay at home, pray and get some rest,” he said. “Now, it’s coming to practice in the morning, which takes up most of my morning, up until 2 p.m. basically. Then I go home, I rest for a bit, I wake up, I pray, and by the time all of that is finished, it’s about time to break my fast in the night. Then I just eat a meal and head to bed. It’s a really short day because you’ve got to wake up at 4:30 a.m. to eat, so you’ve got to sleep earlier than usual.”

Naturally, this change in sleeping and eating schedules affects energy levels in a serious way, especially for athletes. While Khan is used to these effects by now, he still feels the dehydration that builds up during the day. His performance on the pitch hasn’t suffered at all, proving that willpower is an incredibly powerful tool when we choose to use it.

Though Jesse and Zaydan are the ones observing the holiday, they aren’t doing it without help from the club. MNUFC’s Director of Performance Nutrition, Austin Kowitz, has been providing both young men with plans and recommendations to get the most out of the limited times they break their fast.

“It’s the same thing that someone would have regularly; it’s just the timing of it,” Kowitz said. “Making sure that they’re eating enough before the sun comes up—it’s like breakfast plus. It might be having more eggs than you normally have, having more peanut butter and toast than you might have, or something like that. It’s just a higher volume. There are some things that have “slower” carbs, mainly things with a higher fiber content, but nothing is going to carry them into the evening, energy wise. That’s where it gets tough. There’s really nothing you can do that’s going to take them that far.”

With meals spread out from as early as 4:30 a.m. and as late as 8 p.m., Kowitz knows that there isn’t much he can do to give the athletes energy that will last all day. Instead, the focus shifts to quality, volume, and timing. During his interview, he shared some of the instructions that he passes along to the players.

Among the instructions he provides the players with, Kowitz stresses the need to consume additional carbohydrates in the morning, drink plenty of fluids and electrolytes whenever possible, and replenish with lean proteins, healthy fats, and vegetables after sundown. The guide also includes example meals, a list of snacks and other general tips to get the most out of each meal.

“I want them to eat a lot at night, but I don’t want it to be six cheeseburgers or a 20-piece nugget and a bunch of fries,” he said. “We want it to be things that are going to make up for what they missed out on during the day. I’m just telling them and giving them recommendations, but I can’t be there to remind them or feed them, so I’m hoping they’re doing it. Eat more vegetables; eat more nutrient-dense foods; eat more fiber-dense foods; drink a lot of water to get electrolytes and stuff.”

As if the regular challenges of daily training weren’t enough, there can be added obstacles on game day. While it only affected a single game for MNUFC2, it can be a problem for Muslim athletes when the sun sets mid-game. Luckily, MLS and MLS NEXT Pro have addressed that issue this season, allowing for designated drink breaks at sundown.

During the Loons’ match against North Texas SC, the game was stopped at 8:01 p.m. to allow players a chance to break their fast. While this is a wonderful chance to get some valuable energy, Kowitz stressed the importance of taking in the right things during this break.

“One of the biggest things that I’ve seen while watching games is the fasting break,” he said. “I don’t want to say I’ve seen it done incorrectly, but what do you do at that point? You haven’t eaten since 5:30 or 6 a.m., so you’d think that you should just get in whatever you can. The problem with that is that the body doesn’t work like we think it might work. It’s kind of a balance with what you can take in, like water, electrolytes, sports gels, or a banana. I’ve seen some go with something like a protein shake, but protein isn’t energy, so that isn’t necessarily what you should do.”

Next time you’re watching a game and you see players go to the sideline at sundown, remember that it’s about more than just getting water. While neither Jesse or Zaydan will have to worry about breaking their fast during any more games this season, their commitment doesn’t end this month.

Eid al-Fitr marks the end of Ramadan on April 21, but the lasting impact of the experience never leaves those who observe the holiday. All five of Islam’s pillars are filled with meaning and tradition for those who practice them, serving as reminders and opportunities to grow in faith and life itself. By taking part in something bigger than yourself, you learn to relate to others in profound ways.

While soccer brings us together in similar ways, it does not define us. We are more accurately defined by our actions, our beliefs, and the ways in which we interact with the world. The beautiful game is just a tool we use, spreading joy and connecting us with people from all walks of life. We are brought together by the badge on our jerseys, the desire in our hearts, and the unity born of competing alongside one another. The common goal we share with our teammates reminds us that we are all quite similar in the most meaningful of ways, no matter how much food is in your stomach during Ramadan.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2023, 11:37:06 AM »
Molik Khan opens his account with Minnesota United 2 as he slams home his own rebound to score the opening goal against Chicago Fire II. MNUFC2 won 3-2 on penalties after a 3-3 draw during regulation time.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 01:16:31 AM »
Molik Khan, 19, learning from Soca Warriors.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

FORMER T&T Under-20 captain Molik Khan, 19, is eager to learn from his more seasoned team-mates on the national men’s senior football team. The Soca Warriors are in a camp in Ft Lauderdale, Florida, US preparing for the start of the 2023 Concacaf Gold Cup tournament.

T&T were initially scheduled to compete in the Gold Cup qualification tournament, but after Nicaragua were suspended for fielding an ineligible player the Soca Warriors are now in the main draw. The Gold Cup kicks off on June 24 in Canada and US.

Khan, speaking to TT Football Association media, said, “Being with the national team is always a pleasure for me personally and I think for anyone, especially training with these guys (and) playing with these guys...gaining the experience from what they have been doing ten years, some five years. (I am) just getting that experience. They pass it on to me and it is a good feeling.”

Khan, who plays with Minnesota United in Major League Soccer, is enjoying his time with the club.

“The journey has been good so far. The first year was a lot of injuries, but now I am playing regularly and fighting for a spot.”

Khan said everyday he tries to improve his knowledge on the game.

“Everyday you can learn something new…adding something new to the game.”

National coach Angus Eve paid tribute to players who were part of the team's journey but not in the current camp.

“We had soldiers who not here today, but I will take the opportunity to big them up…who played in the first rounds of the games all over the place…We had the brothers who just played against Guatemala and they put down a proper performance.”

T&T defeated Guatemala 1-0 in an international friendly in Philadelphia on Sunday.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2023, 07:22:18 PM »
Molik Khan has a goal and assist in Minnesota United 2's 2-2 draw with St. Louis City 2.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ozLkSqyVoi0?start=52" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ozLkSqyVoi0?start=52</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2023, 11:59:47 AM »
Minnesota United 2's Molik Khan dribbles into the box, shrugs off the attention of two defenders, and chips the ball over the Tacoma Defiance goalkeeper to score his fourth goal of the season.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BlMrXZ2baTc?start=55" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BlMrXZ2baTc?start=55</a>

1]; } ?>