March 29, 2024, 05:47:36 AM

Author Topic: 2020 SSFL & Inter-Col Thread.  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
2020 SSFL & Inter-Col Thread.
« on: May 01, 2020, 08:30:17 AM »
SSFL 2020 season waits on PM.
By Walter Alibey (Guardian).

Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) officials will have to wait until Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley and Minister of Education Anthony Garcia give an update on the reopening of school term in time for the CSEC Examinations, to see if a League will be held, due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic which has taken hold on the country and the globe.

On Thursday, the SSFL president William Wallace chaired a brain-storming zoom session with his executives on the possibility of staging the League this year. However, it was agreed that it will only be when the Prime Minister makes a decision on his May 15 stay-at-home extended deadline, that they will know how to plan.

Dr Rowley's stay-at-home order is designed to keep non-essential workers at home to fight the coronavirus outbreak which has already killed thousands of people across the world.

The order, coupled with the closing of the country's borders, have led to a temporary shutdown of schools, thereby preventing students from sitting the Seceondary Entrance Examination (SEA) in April, as well as the CSEC and CAPE examinations.

Coming out of the meeting it was also agreed that officials will attempt to engage in talks with sponsors, with an aim to put them on the alert should there be a tournament this year.

Last year the SSFL featured its largest ever partnership arrangements with local and international sponsors, such as Caribbean Sports Cable Network SPORTSMAX, Shell, First Citizens, Coca Cola and Fruta.

At the end of last year's successful tournament which featured a Premiership, Championship, Girls and various youth divisions, a number of premier division players such as St Anthony's College Kai Phillip and Ronaldo Jacob (Trinity College Moka) among others, were awarded with scholarships to go abroad and study while play the game of football.

The SSFL also has a committee set up to help players interested in securing scholarships with their SAT scores. He said he looks forward hopefully for another football season.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: 2020 SSFL & Inter-Col Thread.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 06:30:52 PM »
Wallace hints of shortened SSFL season.

It could be a shortened season, coupled with severe cuts in funding for schools when the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) kicks off in September.

On Wednesday, president of the SSFL William Wallace said his executive will confirm this in the coming weeks but said this season's tournament will be crucial for players and fans, both physically and psychologically.

Wallace, the former president and driving force behind the stance taken by the United T&T Football Association (TTFA) to challenge FIFA for its decision to appoint a Normalisation Committee to run local football, told Guardian Media Sports that the logistics for the season are being worked out at this time, as they were awaiting word from the Ministry of Education on when schools were going to be opened.

Wallace explained that having a full season this year is still being worked out at the executive level, saying the discussions have been focused around whether they should just concentrate on the Premier Division level as well as the Championship, with no play for some of the lower divisions this year.

"We are still to have a clear understanding of how we would proceed but for us, at the SSFL, we think this is a crucial term for our footballers, our young people. Having gone through the experience of this COVID-19, they need to be able to get out there and express themselves, post COVID-19, and we are hoping that we will find a way to definitely have some football this year.

"I know the focus at the ministry at this point is on examination and trying to work out the logistics in terms of CSEC. I have been trying to communicate with the minister's adviser to get a feel of things, but for me and for us at the SSFL, this is a crucial term."

Wallace said schools are to suffer a problem of reduced funding this year.

"One of the issues I know schools will have is the funding, the reduced funding from the ministry. We are thinking about that also so we have to factor that in," Wallace said.

The SSFL is still to finalise funding from its sponsors, such as First Citizens, Fruta, Shell, and Coca Cola among others, and according to the SSFL boss, there is also likely to be cutbacks from these companies as well.

With teachers expected to head back out to schools next week, Wallace said they should have a better idea of what the season would look like. The SSFL is also to experience challenges on the field, with Wallace saying they will also have to consider if they will be playing in empty stadiums.

"This is something we have to think about, the whole idea of social distancing so there are so many factors we have to think about. Sportsmax involvement will be very critical if, for example, we are playing in empty stadiums. They may get more involved in terms of televising games, we have already had preliminary discussions on that. Whether they will be more involved in televising games and so on, so at least persons can see the games from the comfort of their own homes."

Wallace assures an exact date for the start of the competition will be determined soon, saying if the season will be a shortened one they will have a later start to the tournament.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Coaches: Revert to zonal football, leave out InterCol for shortened season
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

"Revert to Zonal football and leave out the Coca Cola Intercol play-off for this year's Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), if there is to be a shortened version this year," coaches from four out of the five zones have said.

Their comments come two days after SSFL president William Wallace, in a Guardian report on Thursday, said the League could be curtailed by challenges caused by the COVID-19 situation. The executive of the schools league will meet soon to determine if they will have to run a shortened version or not.

They will also have to decide on whether to have competition only for the Premiership and Championship Divisions and leave out action in the lower divisions such as the Under-16, 14, Girls U-15 and Form One U-13.

Coaches Shawn Cooper of Presentation College, Ronald Daniel of St Anthony's College, Kerry Lynch of Speyside High School and Anthony Samuel of Malick Secondary also believe, there should be no promotion or demotion this year if the league is shortened.

Cooper told Guardian Media Sports his main concern will be on players in their final year, who will be attempting to get scholarships abroad, otherwise, he embraces the idea of a shortened season.

Cooper, who guided the southerners to their first-ever InterCol title last year, said players like Jaiye Sheppard, who scored the winner for 'Pres' in the InterCol final against Naparima College, will be looking for scholarships to go out.

"There are lots of players who would have been looking forward to this season to see if they can get out to North America. Sportsmax will also be a very integral part in this, in terms of marketing the players and getting them to be seen by coaches," he said.

"It will be a burden on some of the players if you have to ask someone to videotape a game if Sportsmax is not there. Coaches normally want to see a whole game and not a video you put together with just your good points."

Cooper's boys are set to begin training soon in an attempt to successfully defend their title.

Daniel said, "If we have to run football this year, they will have to go back to the zones, just as how it was before. And from there, depending on whatever time we have, we can play a Big Five. This means they will have to leave out all the lower divisions, it is already tight."

Meanwhile, Lynch believes the Premiership Division can be divided into two groups that will play one round of competition, and the top teams will go into a play-off. With this format, Lynch said the SSFL executive may still be able to play the InterCol which is normally a short tournament anyway.

Otherwise, Lynch said it might be useful if we can revert to the zonal competitions which will end probably in a big five play-off.

Malick coach Samuel said if there is to be a shortened season, then there should be more match-days every week.

"We can probably play almost every day in the week at reduced game-times, so instead of having 90-minute games, we can have 60 minutes instead. There must also be no promotion or demotion and this should apply for both the Premiership and Championship Divisions. We can leave out the InterCol tournament," Samuel said.

Apart from a possible shortened version of the SSFL this year, Wallace and company are also bracing for cuts in grants for schools from the Ministry of Education, cuts in funding from their sponsors, drastically reduced crowd support at matches and uncertainty about the role of Sportsmax.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2020, 06:53:49 AM »
Save a ball. Save a soul: Ex-SSFL goalie becomes coach thanks to Facebook
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (Newsday).

WHAT started as a light personal training session for ex-Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) goalkeeper Rondell Renwick has now grown into a unique, mini-goalkeeping clinic for some of south Trinidad’s rising football custodians.

One month ago, the 33-year-old Union Hall, San Fernando resident opted to capitalise on the downtime by dusting off his old gloves and cleats and trekking over to the nearby Presentation College grounds to rejuvenate his physical passion for the beautiful game.

Renwick was assisted by his friend Ray Mohammed, to properly execute drills and other goalkeeping exercises. The former Naparima College (2002-2003) and Princes Town Secondary (2004-2005) goalie recorded his little stint, uploaded the video to Facebook and surprisingly received rave reviews on his so-called return to the field.

One day later, he was contacted by current “Naps” goaltender Levi Fernandez who expressed interest to join in on his personal training, to which he obliged.

Over the next week, Renwick freely accepted requests from upcoming goalkeepers Raheem Lee (Pleasantville Secondary), Rashard Hart (another Naparima custodian) and former “Pres” now current TT Beach Soccer goalie, Jabari Gray to train together while maintaining the required physical distancing regulations.

After each session, Renwick uploaded each training stint to social media and according to him, “I became a coach overnight.”

Although an uncertified coach, Renwick has now abolished his personal training regime and directed all focus on TT’s prospects. He has not only implemented his goalkeeping experience throughout the years as a gauge but has been in close contact with local stalwarts of the art form to aid his students’ athletic progress.

Renwick maintains a close relationship with former national goalkeepers Kelvin Jack and Clayton Ince, both of whom view his videos and share their advice on elevating the young men’s game.

Coaching knowledge from the likes of former TT player Dexter Cyrus, Presentation College goalkeeping coach Jefferson George and ex-TT Pro League custodians Aquelius Sylvester (W-Connection) and Adisa Alleyne (Police) all contribute to Renwick’s free afternoon classes. In support of his free initiative, Cyrus has already donated a water cooler to inspire Renwick to keep pushing on.

He has since adopted the catchphrase “Save a ball. Save a soul” as added motivation for himself to continue these generous but progressive works.

“This is being done out of love for the game and love for people. It’s no longer about me. I feel like I’m walking in my purpose for God. As a believer, when you think about saving a soul, you usually come about it from a religious standpoint. That’s God’s job. Our work is to be mentors to people save souls. Saving a soul from going on the block and getting shot, saving a soul from going out partying in the night, preserving a youth’s life so they can walk into their own divine purpose and not sell themselves short of achieving their big dream,” he explained.

As his sessions gain momentum, Renwick has been forced to limit interested participants to abide by the Government’s physical distancing stipulations. The guys train on Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons and are singled out for individual sessions on Sunday.

Inspired by such positive feedback, Renwick is now intent on certifying himself as a goalkeeping coach and in an attempt to give back to his country through sport and mentoring young minds.

“The goal I’m working on with these guys is technical fine tuning. To play at the highest level you have to be technically sound. From a coaching standpoint, I’m just looking at the mistakes they make, fixing them and making sure they become quicker and more technically sound. These guys have big dreams and I’m overwhelmed with their trust in me. They are always present and on time. What I’m seeing most of all, is improvement,” he added.

Other age groups and parents have begun to show interest in his free classes but Renwick admitted he would need at least one additional experienced goalkeeper to be physically present to equally manage the growing bunch. He wants to ensure everyone gets the required attention needed to improve their trade.

Since inception of the mini-goalkeeping clinic, the players have been reaching out, seeking knowledge through conversation, on several personal issues. Renwick welcomes their interest and like goalkeeping, uses his many hiccups in life to mould their impressionable minds towards becoming better human beings.

“They are even reaching out to me for guidance in personal situations and I’m so surprised how much they listen. I’ve made many mistakes but learnt so much through these personal errors in life. Passing on knowledge in this regard is fulfilling. I didn’t know I had this in me but I’m loving it. I now understand from a coaching standpoint how and why these coaches are so dedicated year after year. You are literally giving back to your country in a positive way,” he said.

As he concluded, Renwick admitted his coaching certification was mandatory but not limited to stopping his little programme. He also credited Mohammed, who provides transport for the youngsters, and Pleasantville Secondary’s senior trainer Joel Maloney, who assists in getting the boys through the warm-ups.

From this coming week however, Renwick has been forced to shift his venue to Gulf View Community Grounds.

He closed, “I’m seeing a future for this but I intend to approach it one step at a time. I’m not rushing it because I want to allow everything to unfold in its natural way without rushing, me getting overwhelmed and excited. Becoming a certified goalkeeping coach is part of the plan but I literally became a coach overnight to these young men. This is all for them, not me.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:12:29 PM »
The Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) is set to kick off in September.

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »
Format confirmed? back to zonal?

U16 and U14 not being considered still this season?

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2020, 05:37:51 AM »
Saints get ready for 2020 SSFL season.
By Joel Bailey (Newsday).

NO DECISION has been made regarding the state of the 2020 Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), due to the covid19 pandemic.

The 2020-21 school year is set to begin on September 1, but the SSFL season remains up in the air.

However, players from St Mary’s College began training, on Monday, at the CIC Ground, St Clair.

Team coach Junior Maxwell said on Monday, “We’ve been having to wait and see what the Minister of Education (Anthony Garcia) and the Ministry of Health had to say before we could come out. “We had to follow (covid19) guidelines. Today was just the first blow-out for all the kids here.”

Members of the Under-14 and Under-16 divisions featured in Monday’s training session, as well as a few of the Championship division players.

“The majority of our (Championship) players would be sitting CXC in the next couple weeks and the rest of those guys will be sitting CAPE,” said Maxwell.

Concerning the vast turn-out of player,s on Monday, Maxwell said, “If it’s one thing we know, at St Mary’s, is when it comes to the football season, we know boys will turn out. That’s embedded in them. When it comes to the football season, it’s about results.”

Maxwell is unsure whether the 2020 season will proceed as usual or if it may be truncated.

“We’re hearing rumours but we’re hopeful that, more than likely, it may go Premiership and Championship (divisions) but we’ll see how it goes,” said the CIC coach.

“At the end of the day, it’s a guess for everybody to know what’s going on but we’ll have to wait and see. What we will do at St Mary’s is get ourselves prepared for whatever comes our way.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pres, Naps to start from scratch for SSFL season
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2020, 07:39:51 PM »
Pres, Naps to start from scratch for SSFL season
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian)

Coca Cola InterCol champion Presentation College (San Fernando) faces a challenging season with the loss of more than 98 per cent of their starting roster from last year's Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), a doubtful coach Shawn Cooper said on Tuesday.

Its arch-rival Naparima College also faces a similar predicament. Coach Angus Eve said that his entire starting team, who won last year's Premier Division League title, is out because the players have moved on. However, the former national midfielder said he is not concerned by it and will begin from scratch again, as it is a normal situation with schools' teams.

Cooper, who guided the southern team to its first Inter Col title, said he will only begin preparation for the schools' league after the coming Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate (CSEC) Examinations scheduled to start on July 13. He said he has been monitoring the students' time table to determine when his preparation programme will commence.

To date, the southern giants have to wait until the players from the team's starting squad sit exams, and an additional three who are certain to be lost when they take the Caribbean Advance Proficiency Examination (CAPE).

"We have 17 guys sitting exams, and that is the whole team I am talking about. Among those who not writing exams represents about 12 fringe players from Form four who are going into Form five and some of them who were not on the team last year. However, the core of the team comes from the 17 group.  

"I have to wait until exams finish really to start because after this COVID-19 pandemic and people missed school, so I cannot afford to call the boys out to training and exams coming up. I have to let them concentrate on their exams."

The High Street, San Fernando school is set to begin this season with a clash with Naparima for the Digicel Cup on September 11, according to a revised fixture that was distributed by SSFL officials recently. However, Cooper said according to the fixture, Presentation will begin its season later on September 16 with a match against Moruga Secondary at home.

On Monday, SSFL president William Wallace said his executive will meet tomorrow to decide on the tournament, such as the format etc. He told Guardian Media Sports on June 4 that it could be a shortened season due to the coronavirus.  

Meanwhile, Eve said he saw no need for the format of the League to change.

He explained, "School is supposed to open on the September 1, so once the country conforms to the guidelines of the government and there are no real issues, I don't see why we have to change the format in any way. All of the fields are paying venues so you can still only bring the officials of the game, the manager, the masseuse etc and the games can be played with no fans. It is being done all over the world at present."

Naparima has lost its whole team already, as none of the first-team players will be eligible to play this season, pointing to strikers Seon Shipley and Isa Bramble together with the talents of Atiba Lewis, Tariq Sampson, Declan Marcelle and Mark Ramdeen among others. Similar to Presentation, Eve plans to commence practice after the examinations in July.

Over in Tobago, Speyside coach Kerry Lynch said that he will also begin training in mid-July. He explained that while he will have most of his team for this season, he is only concerned about two key players, Nicholas Sanchez and Daleon Beckles, as both will be sitting the CSEC exam this month.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2020, 06:01:33 AM »
SSFL awaits green light for 2020 season; Wallace to address executive on Fifa fight.
Wired868.com.

Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) teams have the okay to resume training, after the relaxation of Covid-19 restrictions. However, the amber light remains in place as far as the 2020 season goes.

This afternoon, SSFL general secretary Azaad Khan advised members that they are still awaiting the go-ahead from Minister of Education Anthony Garcia for the upcoming season, which would generally start in September.

“Please be advised that the minister of education has given permission for schools to begin football training,” stated Khan, via a press statement. “However, the minister of education has advised that he will have to seek the advice of the minister of health about permission for the season.”

Wired868 tried to reach Khan for further comment without success.

The SSFL executive committee is carded to meet next Monday morning at the Carapichaima East Secondary school with several crucial agenda items tabled.

The schools football officials are due to discuss the upcoming season as well as league sponsorship and zonal reports. And there should also be a statement from William Wallace, who is simultaneously the president of the SSFL and Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA), and a report on the ‘TTFA/Fifa dispute’.

Wallace was elected TTFA president on 24 November 2019 and initially said he would resign at the end of that SSFL season. However, the former Carapichaima East vice-principal subsequently said that he would ‘hold his hand’ until there is a determination in the legal tussle between the TTFA and the world governing body.

On 17 March, Fifa general secretary Fatma Samoura—on the instruction of president Gianni Infantino—declared that Wallace and his board were stripped of their elected posts with immediate effect, as they implemented a normalisation committee in the twin island republic.

Wallace and his vice-presidents, Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick and Sam Phillip, challenged Fifa’s ruling in the local High Court.

In the past weeks, Wallace has been the centre of controversy after admitting to a secret deal with controversial English ‘marketing director’ Peter Miller and signing contracts with Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick and general secretary Ramesh Ramdhan, which included terms that were not agreed—or rejected outright—by the TTFA Board.

Wallace attempted to clear the air with a public statement last week but is now likely to face further questions from his secondary school colleagues.

The SSFL executive committee comprises of Wallace, first vice-president Phillip Fraser, second vice-president Tevon La Rose, assistant secretary administration Gerald Elliot, assistant secretary operations Laurence Seepersad and Khan, who is the general secretary and treasurer, along with a representative from each of the five zones: north, south, east, central and Tobago.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 06:13:55 PM »
Wallace resigns as SSFL president.

William Wallace has resigned as president of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) on Monday, as this year's season seems to be uncertain.

The embattled schools' football boss who is also leading a challenge for the United T&T Football Association against football's world governing body- the FIFA to have them reinstated as the legitimate administrators of local football, handed in his resignation letter at a meeting of the executive at the Carapichaima East Secondary schools yesterday morning, four months after he was expected to do so. Phillip Fraser, the first vice president of the SSFL was appointed interim president until the League holds its Annual General Meeting at a date and time to be announced.

Fraser told Guardian Media Sports that, "Based on our last meeting in March sometime before COVID-19, we were to have a meeting where Mr Wallace was going to tender his resignation then but we did not have any meeting and at this meeting, he tendered his resignation with immediate effect."

Meanwhile, action in the Secondary Schools Football League may not take place until the Ministry of Health and its Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram, in conjunction with the Ministry of Education can decide on a way forward Fraser explained further. Yesterday's meeting which was also scheduled to decide on the structure and format of the SSFL season this year could only deliver an act of precaution for the thousands of young student-footballers and their colleagues at the various schools.

Fraser in his first real foray as school football leader said: "Presently, we cannot make no decisions as regard competition until we get guidelines from the Ministry of Education. They have given an interim decision where teams can start training, but they are waiting on guidelines from the CMO and the Ministry of Health as regards children. Remember they are still preparing guidelines, even with the T&T Pro League, there are no definite guidelines from the ministry of health or the CMO for football as yet."

He added: "What is going to happen presently is that we have to wait on all the stakeholders and the stakeholders at the ministry of education, the principals and the schools involved. So what we have done in the interim is we have asked the schools to go back to their zones and their executives and have discussions on what can happen. What are the contingencies that can be put in place if football can play. It has a lot to do with if we are having a crowd or no crowd, and how we can avoid crowds"

On June 10, Wallace hinted at a shortened season, saying they were facing several setbacks such as lack of funding for schools and the uncertainty caused by the coronavirus pandemic. But Fraser said the zones were charged with the responsibility to return with ideas in two weeks, noting they are supposed to have some initiatives to offer when the education ministry contacts them.

The ministry of education is expected to make a pronouncement in August and the principals, based on the funding available to them, will have to look at it and decide if they can have football.

Fraser said he was ruling out scrapping the league for now, as he prefers to wait. "Children are anxious to play football, remember they were inside all the time, there are lots of stored-up energy, but the safety of the children must be paramount. So there is no real rush to play until the guidelines are as strict as possible."

RELATED NEWS

Wallace resigns as SSFL president, 2020 season still in limbo pending Health guidance
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

Embattled Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) president William Wallace appears to have conceded his portfolio as Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) president, in the first major fall-out from recent revelations regarding his tenure in charge of the TTFA.

Wallace, a retired Carapichaima East Secondary vice-principal, allegedly submitted his resignation today in a SSFL executive committee meeting in Carapichaima. First vice-president Phillip Fraser will now act as interim president of the schools body.

Wired868 was unable to reach Wallace for confirmation while executive members were unwilling to speak on the record. However, off the record, members said Wallace appeared to be feeling the emotional toll of recent scandals and his colleagues were sympathetic.

Still, his offer to leave was accepted. His position was felt to have become untenable.

At present, Wallace and TTFA vice-presidents Clynt Taylor, Susan Joseph-Warrick and Sam Philip are resisting Fifa’s attempt to install a normalisation committee in Trinidad and Tobago. But even that colossal contest has been overshadowed by incidents involving Wallace more directly—as he shouldered much of the blame for TTFA contracts handed to Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick, general secretary Ramesh Ramdhan and marketing director Peter Miller, as well as a kit deal with Avec Sport.

In all four cases, the TTFA Board was kept in the dark about the terms of the agreement, or whether a deal existed at all, until after the fact. It was not SSFL business; but the schools league, which is run by the respective principals, did not appreciate being associated with such controversial behaviour.

Wallace was elected unopposed as SSFL president on 1 April 2017, replacing Anthony Creed, and was re-elected unopposed last year. He was voted in as TTFA president on 24 November 2019 and suggested that he would resign from the schools job at the subsequent AGM.

Wallace had a change of heart when Fifa moved in on 17 March 2020 and announced that it had overthrown the TTFA’s elected officials, who were to be replaced with a normalisation committee. Since then, he said he would hold on to his SSFL position until the Fifa matter was cleared up.

In the end, the best that Wallace could hope for was to leave on his own terms, which he did today.

The 2020 SSFL season remains in doubt as administrators grapple with issues related to Covid-19. Wired868 understands that school administrators are awaiting directives from the Ministry of Health, which will be key in deciding whether to hold its 2020 competitions.

There is also a financial element, as principals must discuss their respective budgets for sport while Digicel/Sportsmax remain indebted to the SSFL to the tune of TT$1 million for the 2019 season.

Wired868 understands that Digicel/Sportsmax has given a commitment to meeting its arrears although no specific timeline was agreed. Incidentally, Sportsmax’s Sport Zone show has been very critical of Wallace’s behaviour as TTFA president.

Executive committee members were advised today that other sponsors warned of their unwillingness to be associated with any competition which carries adverse health risks to young men and women. It leaves the SSFL at the mercy of clearance from Ministry of Health Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram.

Wallace will play no role in addressing the current issues, though.

Wired868 understands that executive members thanked Wallace for his credible stewardship of the schools’ game, over the past three years. But, apparently, they all agreed that it was time to say goodbye.

Ironically, Fifa’s disbandment of the TTFA Board has made it difficult for Wallace to face administrators from the local governing football body, while interim Pro League chairman Brent Sancho and Veteran Footballers Foundation president Selby Browne urged stakeholders to boycott the United TTFA slate’s attempt to hold an unofficial general meeting.

It has left Wallace without an opportunity to face TTFA members and present his case to them, or take their feedback.

Up to the time of publication, there was no suggestion that Wallace would similarly relinquish his role as TTFA president.

Fraser is new schools football boss
Ian Prescott (Express).

PHILLIP FRASER is the man now in charge of secondary schools football in Trinidad and Tobago.

Fraser takes the helm, after president William Wallace stepped down following Monday’s annual general meeting.

Currently involved in a legal battle with football’s governing body FIFA, Wallace confirmed his stepping aside from the SSFL yesterday.

“I had indicated since December that I was just waiting on the AGM in March (to step down). The AGM, of course, was not held and was postponed because of the Covid-19. Our first meeting (since then) would have been Monday. I did what I said,” Wallace stated.

Schools league vice-president Fraser assumes the role as acting president, until the SSFL calls fresh elections in 60 days.

Wallace felt he had left the SSFL in a good position.

“I was able to consolidate sponsorship at the different levels. All the divisions were sponsored,” he said.

Under his watch, an arrangement was reached with regional broadcaster SportMax to have Trinidad and Tobago schools football televised and Wallace was also proud of being able to initiate scouting with foreign coaches, allowing them to have a look at the best available local talent in the Secondary Schools Football League

“We were able to bring down the scouts to have a look at our players in our end-of-season game, “ Wallace noted.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 08:02:13 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2020, 05:32:30 AM »
SSFL yet to decide on 2020 season.
By Jelani Beckles (Newsday).

WHETHER the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) is contested this year is still to be determined, as the league officials wait for guidance from Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health officials.

SSFL officials held a meeting on Friday concerning the 2020 season.

Interim president Phillip Fraser said, “As it is, the position still stands, especially based on the present climate as with regards (to) covid19. We now have to wait for a direction and guidelines from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Health. We are at a point where we cannot make no decisions regarding football for 2020.”

The various age division competitions normally kick off shortly after the school term begins in early September. However, with so much uncertainty because of the covid19 pandemic, sporting events are still doubtful.

Local sports are slowly starting to resume with horse racing, cricket and tennis among the sports resuming. The Government has also given the green light for the much anticipated 2020 Hero Caribbean Premier League T20 tournament.

The SSFL premiership division football competition, which features the top 15 teams in TT, is well supported with a number of sponsors on board. In recent years matches are shown live on Jamaica-based TV channel Sportsmax.

In a recent Ministry of Health covid19 media briefing, Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram and Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh said organised team sports are allowed, but they are advising people to refrain from participating.

The statement has got some criticism from Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith. Griffith does not understand why people are allowed to take part in casual exercise and sports, but organised activities are not encouraged.

The 2020 Youth Pro League, originally scheduled to start in August, is unlikely to kick off next month as the league officials are being guided by the CMO and the Ministry of Health.

Fraser said because of the virus, making a decision now on the football season is difficult with such an unpredictable climate. “We could say we want to do this, but then what if? It is difficult to make a decision based on that.”

The veteran SSFL official encouraged the young footballers to understand the situation because their health is of paramount importance.

“They have to know that we are in a pandemic and it is a serious situation…we are concerned about their health and safety so we would not want to risk any of our student athletes.”

Fraser encouraged the students to stay active. “Of course, it will mean getting yourself involved in other activities. You might be able to do some exercises home. You need to be innovative now because it is a new norm that we might have to live with for a while.”

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2020, 03:39:39 AM »
Deyalsingh to parents: Play football at home.
By Anna-Lisa Paul (Guardian).

While Youth Sports continue to be in limbo, more so the Secondary School Football League (SSFL) in which most of the schools are usually in training during the July and August vacation, one school has decided to suspend its practice sessions until further notice.

On Saturday during the virtual press conference with the Ministry of Health, the Health Minister Terrence Deyalsingh is urging parents to keep their children at home if they are ill.

He said, “Whilst there are no regulations to stop anybody from playing sports, we have constantly asked parents to do the responsible thing.”

The minister admitted, “We can’t legislate for every single outcome but it is time for collective social responsibility.”

Indicating if he was a parent of a young child, Deyalsingh said, “I would not let my child at this point in time, go out and play team sports.”

“If the child has to burn out excess energy, I would burn out that excess energy with the child by playing football at home, cricket at home, let him run around the house, whatever. That is what we have to encourage parents to do.”

Acknowledging that, “Being cooped up is not a good thing mentally, physiologically, all that…but there are 16 million cases of COVID-19 in the entire world and 600,000 odd persons have died.”

Two weeks ago, the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram said all events with children should be held back until September.

So far, the T&T Pro League which organisers and operates the Youth Football League has called off the season until further notice pending a change in advice from the authorities, while the National Basketball Federation of T&T (NBFTT) has had to postpone its boys and girls under-17 training sessions for the past week. The NBFTT was preparing teams to participate in the FIBA Under-17 Skills Challenge virtual championships which are carded for next month.

Following an SSFL Executive meeting on Friday, Tevon La Rose, the Second Vice President of the SSFL and the teacher-in-charge of football at Trinity, Moka, has decided to stop his players from training due to the latest detection of new COVID-19 cases announced by the Ministry of Health in the past week.

At the SSFL executive meeting on Friday, La Rose said in light of the new developments with regards to the new local cases, the SSFL has asked the Ministry of Education to communicate to them formally concerning training, saying the CMO has called for all youth activity to be stopped until September.

On July 15, the CMO had advised that activities with children be withheld for the next two months, “Children should have been held until September. The regulations, as far as I know, don’t speak to the age of persons being able to conduct any sort of activity,” Dr Parasram said.

La Rose explained that while most to all schools have been in training presently, as they anticipate the 2020 schools football league, his school has taken the lead by deciding not to train until they receive clearance from the ministry to do so.

"I don't think some people are seeing how serious this is. Children tend to be more A-symptomatic than adults, and if one child carries that into training, it will affect at least 24 homes, including the homes of the coaches, so we are going to take the smart step and stop until further notice," La Rose said.

He promises to provide further information to the group once it becomes available.

The schools league had been put on hold until the Ministry of Health in collaboration with the CMO, gives it the go-ahead to host the competition. Acting president Phillip Fraser requested two weeks ago that the respective zones come up with suggestions with a format if the ministry of health gives the all-clear for the SSFL to proceed.

Over the past two weeks, Dr Parasram, the Health Terrence Deyalsingh and the Commissioner of Police Gary Griffith have had disagreements with regards having youths participate in sports. Commissioner Griffith said, "that based on their logic, if an athlete is a 16 or 17 years’ old who is a very fit, healthy, high-intensity athlete or national player in a contact sport, it becomes a concern, but not if the athlete is 18 years or over. I challenge them to show what data they can produce to show this. The CMO seems to have a concern about a 16 or 17-year-old playing sport, but he does not have a concern when a set of children are packed into a cinema watching a movie."

Deyalsingh stressed, “These are not normal times. These are the new normals and the new normals demand of parents to protect your children but at the same time, keep them occupied at home. Kick the ball with them at home. Let them run and burn up all that energy, so while there are no regulations to prevent certain activities, we are asking for common sense to prevail."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2020, 09:10:23 AM »
SSFL advises schools to cease training.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (Newsday).

THE SECONDARY Schools Football League (SSFL) has issued a recommendation to all participating schools which have resumed training for the forthcoming season to cease all operations in light of the recent resurgence of confirmed covid19 cases in T&T.

SSFL assistant secretary (administration) Gerald Elliott confirmed this decision taken by the fraternity as a precautionary measure to prevent the possible spread of the novel virus. Although there is no official ban on training, the SSFL has proposed a halt based on the advice of CMO (Chief Medical Officer) Roshan Parasram.

“We did send a letter to schools advising they should cease training for now until we get further information from the Ministry of Health. Some schools had already returned to training with the expectation the season would start in September. But because of the new cases, especially the local spread, we have suggested they discontinue training,” said Elliott.

This decision, although welcomed by reigning Coca Cola Intercol champion coach Shawn Cooper (Presentation College, San Fernando), did not sit well with his vibrant bunch of players who resumed training three weeks ago.

While Cooper was elated with the mesmerising efforts his players have shown since their anticipated return, he remains empathetic with their gloomy acceptance of the SSFL’s decision. Over the past three weeks, Cooper ensured his team practiced the required physical distancing while training in small groups.

“We got the directive (on Monday) from the principal (Dexter Mitchell) that the Ministry of Health and SSFL had agreed to stop the training. We called off our training session and everything altogether.

“The boys are very disappointed. This was the only activity they had outdoors. Even the gym work has to be stopped so they’re understandably upset. But lives are more important than the game right now. They will have to understand that,” said the title-winning coach.

Cooper remains hopeful the recent rise in locally spread cases subsides so the Ministry of Health can once again give the all clear for the resumption of training.

He added, “We hope it (virus) levels down for us to resume. We’re eagerly waiting on the official word to see what’s happening for 2021.”

Meanwhile, Naparima College and San Juan North are yet to resume training for varying reasons.

The former was instructed by principal Dr Michael Dowlath that priority would be placed on those sitting the ongoing Caribbean Secondary Education Centre and Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examination.

Naps’ manager Percy Samlalsingh stated, “The principal has opted for the students to focus on exams before resuming football training.

"Now with the recent rise in covid19 cases, it was a smart decision and we now wait on the health ministry to further update us,” he said.

San Juan North, however, did not resume training due to coronavirus and also pending the uncertainty if their coaches would be paid by the Ministry of Education.

School representative Stephen Clarke revealed, “We haven’t resumed training and that instruction (by SSFL) wouldn’t affect us. Apart from waiting on the Ministry of Health, one of the factors we have to consider as a government school is the payment of our coaches. Our coaches are usually paid through the Ministry of Education. We opted not to begin training because we weren’t sure if the coaches would be paid for this period here.”

When asked if any official decision had been made by the SSFL committee to host the 2020/2021 competitive season, Elliott indicated, “We must continue to monitor this situation and follow the guidelines issued by Ministry of Health.”

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:13:18 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2020, 12:21:29 PM »
The Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) will elect a new president on September 4th 2020 with current interim president Phillip Fraser, Merere Louis Gonzales and Derek West challenging for the top position.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2020, 03:30:01 PM »
Fraser, Gonzales, West vie for SSFL presidency.

A three-man race exists for the leadership of the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL), though the highly fancied tournament is unlikely to take place this year.

Phillip Fraser, the League's First Vice President who was handed the interim president's position following the resignation of William Wallace on July 6 this year, is set to be challenged by Merere Gonzales, the chairman of the East Zone and former T&T and FIFA referee, and Derek West, a school teacher and sports' enthusiast at Trinity College East.

Fraser, a long-serving administrator at the SSFL as well as at local football club San Juan Jabloteh, told Guardian Media a few months ago that he wants to enhance the development of the student-athlete.

The Annual General Meeting (AGM) and Election of officers are scheduled to take place on September 4, but restrictions due to the COVID19 pandemic could also pose an additional challenge. Fraser said a General Council Meeting may be needed to decide to how the elections may take place, as online voting will not be a valid option.

Contacted on Wednesday Gonzales, a hardworking administrator, told Guardian Media Sports it is hoped that a venue to facility proper social-distancing procedures can be found, saying if this is not so then the elections will have to be postponed.

Gonzales has held the position of East Zone chairman for the past 12 years. He was renominated unopposed an unprecedented 11 times before he also got the better of his opponent in a challenge last year. Gonzales said his intentions for the upgrade of the League include the improvement of the student-athlete, the retaining of existing sponsors while seeking new ones, and the implementation of programmes that will help student-athletes with scholarships abroad.

“I believe that there is always a need for progression and we have done this, but greater incentives must be placed on schools without a vibrant alumni association. For instance, at the prestige schools, the alumni groups help the schools with finances but it is not like that with other schools,” Gonzales said.

The former referee also wanted to make it clear that the SSFL is not a primary development programme for the T&T Football Association, saying they are part of the overall development scheme in T&T, as the tournament runs for three months.

According to Gonzales: “This is why the League falls under the Ministry of Education. It is part of the extra-curricular activities such as basketball and track and field.”

Attempts to reach West were unsuccessful, however, it is unlikely that the League will take place this year. Chief Medical Officer Dr Roshan Parasram and Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh have ordered the stoppage of all child-related activity until September when the school term is expected to be opened.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 03:38:23 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Mucurapo former manager Hutson passes away.
T&T Guardian Reports.

Former East Mucurapo Seconday football team manager Brinsley Hutson past away last Sunday at Mt Hope Hospital. Hutson suffered a stroke last Friday.

On Wednesday, the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) paid tribute to the football stalwart and extended its condolences to his family following his passing.

Hutson was an active member of the school’s past students association and managed several national team players during the SSFL days including Kevin Molino, Alvin Jones and Khaleem Hyland. He was in charge of the team that captured two National Intercol titles in 2008 and 2014.

Hutson is remembered for being one of those managers who focused on the needs of his team and school and respected everyone involved in the SSFL. That list of characteristics that makes someone a favourite was what he possessed. He was a man who made a lasting impression on the lives of so many who came in touch with him.

Molino, currently one of T&T’s leading players at senior team level who has played at two FIFA Youth World Cups said Hutson was one of the first managers he played under who showed affection towards him.

“Mr Brinsley was my manager when I played at Mucurapo. He was a really nice man and never turned his back on us. He used to buy boots for me and the other players when we needed. There was nothing you couldn’t talk to him about. He was a real players manager that I was happy to play under. He was always proud of me and Khaleem (Hyland) especially when we made the national youth team for the first time and he pushed us to go for higher, ” Molino told SSFL Media.

“It’s a big blow to the school because when you have people like him around supporting, you always think something good could happen. We need more people like him around. I want to extend my deepest condolences to his family and friends as I am sure his presence will be missed by many,” Molino added.

East Mucurapo principal Derek Phillip also extended condolences to Hutson’s family, saying: “He was our right hand and will be sorely missed. The school is in mourning right now.”

RELATED NEWS

Ex-East Mucurapo football manager Hutson dies.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

THE Secondary Schools Football League (SSCL) paid tribute to former East Mucurapo Secondary football team manager Brinsley Hutson and extended condolences to his family following his death, at the Eric Williams Medical Sciences Complex, on Sunday.

Hutson suffered a stroke last Friday.

A SSCL media release said, “Hutson was an active member of the school’s past students association and managed several national team players during the SSFL days including Kevin Molino, Alvin Jones and Khaleem Hyland. He was in charge of the team that captured two National Intercol titles in 2008 and 2014.” He will be remembered for the manner in which he conducted himself. “Hutson is remembered for being one of those managers who focused on the needs of his team and school and respected everyone involved in the SSFL. That list of characteristics that makes someone a favourite was what he possessed. He was a man who made a lasting impression on the lives of so many who came in touch with him.”

Molino, currently one of T&T’s leading players at senior team level who has played at two FIFA Youth World Cups, said Hutson was one of the first managers he played under who was always there for him.

“Mr Brinsley was my manager when I played at Mucurapo. He was a really nice man and never turned his back on us. He used to buy boots for me and the other players when we needed. There was nothing you couldn’t talk to him about. He was a real players manager that I was happy to play under. He was always proud of me and Khaleem especially when we made the national youth team for the first time and he pushed us to go for higher,” Molino said.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 11:06:01 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2020, 12:48:36 AM »
SSFL coaches discuss concerns
T&T Express Reports.

Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL) coaches got to air some of their concerns about remuneration when the National Football Coaches of Trinidad and Tobago (NFCTT) continued its town hall-styled meetings on Saturday. Present at the meeting were SSFL Premier Division coaches.

The subject of adequate payment was raised by St Benedict’s College coach Randolph Boyce as it concerned coaches at government schools. He pointed out that payment to these coaches is often too meagre to allow the head coach to adequately compensate trainers/physiotherapists, support staff and afford proper equipment.

Also at the meeting former Trinidad and Tobago men’s senior team coach Hutson Charles fully endorsed the NFCTT’s plans, while Morvant Caledonia AIA technical director Jamaal Shabazz and AC Port of Spain head coach Walt Noriega also had their say in the talk with the Pro League coaches.

The NFCTT’s meetings will continue this Saturday when the Trinidad and Tobago Super League (TTSL) and Women’s League of Football (WoLF) coaches will get to contribute to the discussion and to be briefed on what the coaches association offers as well as its plans going forward.

RELATED NEWS

Saving a generation
By Garth Wattley (T&T Express).

In football, the problem may not be so much a drop in numbers as much as it may be a regression in development.

One can argue if any development in a real sense has been taking place in a sport in which standards on the pitch have been slipping noticeably for many a year. And I don’t have to remind you, reader of the utter mess the administration of the game has become.

But here is how one coach, Wayne Sheppard of Championship team Arima Secondary described the loss of this year for sides in the Secondary Schools Football League: “It’s a big loss because the SSFL covers players that are between the ages of ten to `19,20. Between ten to 14, that is the most critical period of development for any player in terms of technique. Between 14 and 16, players learn to apply technique to tactics. Beyond that is where you concentrate on winning titles and by playing, the players come to understand which tools to apply to what situation. With some of these players not being at clubs and club football being in the mess it is, it is leaving a big hole in the development of some of the players.”

Normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad already has enough on his plate when it comes to getting the Football Association financially stable, but seeing to the proper development of young players must also be a matter of high importance to the new administration. It is a very difficult balancing act. But therein lies the challenge not only for the authorities in football but for administrators across the board in National Sporting Organisations.

Covid-19 has been like a huge landslide in Maracas or on the Lady Young Road that has smothered them. But in the “new normal” to come, hopefully sometime in 2021, they must adjust to the increased financial difficulties they are likely to face, with Government assistance expected to be reduced, but at the same time, continue to grow their sports. In short, they must find a way to save the current generation.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2020, 12:51:07 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>