April 23, 2024, 09:50:35 AM

Author Topic: Chris Gayle Thread  (Read 7245 times)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Chris Gayle Thread
« on: April 20, 2011, 01:19:30 PM »
Holy he talking about everything  :o
Gibson is a user .
http://klassportsradio.com/KLAS_PLayer.html

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
Chris Gayle Thread
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 03:08:55 PM »
Dhaka Gladiators vs Sylhet Royals

Action start around 38 min. He was real slow to start

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/cieNX5TEobI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/cieNX5TEobI</a>
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 04:36:54 PM by D.H.W »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

socafighter

Losing Chris Gayle is the worst to happen to us on tour: Dwayne Bravo
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2013, 11:01:27 AM »
Losing Chris Gayle is the worst to happen to us on tour: Dwayne Bravo

PTI : Kochi, Fri Nov 22 2013,

Chris Gayle has been ruled out of the remainder of the three-match ODI series after he sustained the injury while making a desperate dive during the first India-West Indies ODI in Kochi on Thursday (PTI)

West Indies were dealt a big blow after their star batsman Chris Gayle suffered a hamstring tear on his left leg during the first ODI against India in Kochi, and the visiting team skipper Dwayne Bravo said it was the "worst" thing to happen to them on the current tour.
Gayle has been ruled out of the remainder of the three-match ODI series after he sustained the injury while making a desperate dive to save himself from a run out chance.

He was later carried out of the ground in a stretcher.

"Losing Chris (Gayle) is the worst to happen to us on the tour. He is our best player. He is no longer available for the series and that is a big blow for us. Psychologically, also it is not good for us. Before we landed in India, we lost Kieran Pollard and now we lost Chris and they are two of our best players," Bravo said at the post-match press conference.

Virat Kohli (84) and Rohit Sharma (72) hit sparkling half-centuries after spin duo of Ravindra Jadeja (3/37) and Suresh Raina (3/34) shone with the ball to thrash the visitors by six wickets at the Nehru Stadium.

Asked to bowl, spin duo of Jadeja and Raina exploited the low and slow conditions effectively to bundle out West Indies for a meagre 211 in 48.5 overs, and Bravo admitted that the score was not good enough to defend.

"The pitch is the same for both the teams. I think we lost the momentum. The India bowlers are good and they have applied themselves well. 211 was not a good enough total for a team to win an ODI. Our batters did not perform to our expectations. We have to work on our batting," the West Indies skipper said.

"I thought we were about 40 runs short. We had a good start even though we lost our star batsman Chris Gayle early. Johnson Charles and (Marlon) Samuels put up a good stand. We were on our target but we lost wickets and could manage only 211," Bravo said.

"I think our bowlers did very well even though some of them were not at their best. But (Ravi) Rampaul and (Jason) Holder bowled very well and gave their hundred per cent in their second spell."

Bravo praised opposition batsmen Kohli and Rohit for their impressive display.

"Both Rohit and Virat are in good form and in good touch. They played very well today and everything was going in their way. They are world class players. They know the conditions better than us," he said.

socafighter

Why Chris Gayle stayed on with RCB, he would not be sold for big money
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
Why Chris Gayle stayed on with RCB
Indranil Basu,TNN | Jan 13, 2014, 05.17 PM IST

NEW DELHI:

West Indies opener and Royal Challengers Bangalore star Chris Gayle was asking for a hefty fee from RCB giving rise to speculation that he could be put up for auction. However, Gayle decided to stay back and was retained by RCB.

Sources say Gayle may have changed his mind after learning that that some of the big teams were retaining up to five cricketers in their teams.

This meant that the teams which would retain five cricketers would be left with a small purse of Rs 21 crore to shop in the auction as a purse of Rs 39 crore would automatically be deducted from the total purse of Rs 60 crore. So, Gayle's chance to earning big bucks through auction could have gone up in smoke.

"If Gayle would have gone for the auction, he may not have been sold for big money. That is because some of the teams have already retained their top players and these teams may not be left with big budget to buy Gayle," the source pointed out.

socafighter

Re: Why Chris Gayle stayed on with RCB, he would not be sold for big money
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 10:06:57 AM »

Retention policy orchestrated by Srini, says Lalit Modi
PTI | Jan 13, 2014, 08.40 PM IST

NEW DELHI:

Banned former IPL commissioner Lalit Modi again took to micro-blogging site Twitter to attack BCCI president N Srinivasan accusing him of "orchestrating the retention policy" to suit his side Chennai Super Kings in the upcoming seventh edition of Indian Premier League.

This year, the number of retentions increased from four to five with a 'Right To Match' card which says effectively gave a franchise right to retain six players from their previous squad.

"Case and point is the recent retention policy orchestrated by Srini for his own agenda and that is we know what," Modi wrote on his Twitter page on Monday.

In another interesting tweet, Modi supported former BCCI president Jagmohan Dalmiya's views of the need to "clean-up cricket" before getting ready for next edition of IPL.

"I agree with Mr Dalmia --- I have been saying that for a while. But Srini wants it his way. Hope courts intervene," Modi tweeted.

socafighter

Re: Why Chris Gayle stayed on with RCB, he would not be sold for big money
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 10:13:07 AM »
Top draws of IPL auction getting ready
Indranil Basu,TNN | Jan 12, 2014, 06.31 PM IST

NEW DELHI:

The IPL teams are all set to enter the melee of star player auctions this season. Among the top foreign cricketers up for sale next month in Bangalore are the likes of David Warner, Kevin Pietersen, Mitchell Johnson, Shaun Marsh, Quinton de Cock, Corey Anderson, Steve Smith, Aaron Flinch, Faf du Plesis, Morne Morkel and Dwain Smith. Each of these players are expected to fetch a good premium.

India players like Yuvraj Singh, Virender Sehwag and Murali Vijay would also be up for grabs. And the teams have set aside big budgets for them. "It is going to be real competitive for sure and some of the Indian cricketers like Yuvarj and Vijay will surely get a good price," a top IPL official said, adding that the Indian board will start talking with the players before deciding their base price next week.

The top draws of Indian batting like MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli, Rohit Sharma, Shikhar Dhawan, Suresh Raina and Gautam Gambhir have already been retained by their teams. And among the foreigners, Chris Gayle, Ab de Villers and Shane Watson have also retained their places.

In the fast bowling department, South Africa's Dale Steyn (Sunrisers), Sri Lanka's Lasith Malinga (Mumbai) and Australia's James Faulker (Rajasthan Royals) are still on the rolls. However, none of the Indian pacer bowlers figure in the retention list. From from veteran Zaheer Khan to Ishant Sharma, Mohammad Shami, Umesh Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar and Vinay Kumar, are all available in the auction.

In the spin-department the story is somewhat different. Top offies — Harbhajan Singh (Mumbai) and R Ashwin (Chennai) — have been retained. West Indies' Sunil Narine is the only foreign spinner retained by Kolkata Knight Riders.

In the allrounder category, teams have also retained Indian cricketers like Stuart Binny and Ravindra Jadeja while the foreigners' list has Mumbai's Kieron Pollard and Chennai's Dwayne Bravo. IPL says that the teams can buy more allrounders from the auction.

The governing body of the richest T20 league seems optimistic about the auction. "There are enough players to buy for the teams, who are looking to form a good team," a top IPL official said.

socafighter

Having fun, Chris? Gayle might be missing the cricket but he's not too worried... as Bravo and Sammy put England to the sword

By MIKE DAWES
PUBLISHED: 17:28 GMT, 28 February 2014
Daily mail

Having fun: Chris Gayle posted this picture to his Instagram account

West Indies star batsman Chris Gayle might be missing from the ODI series against England but he's certainly not missing out on any fun.
Gayle has been left out of the squad for the three-match series because of stiffness in his back, but the former captain posted a picture to his Instagram at a photoshoot with three beauties sitting on a motorbike.

Gayle is third on the all-time batting list in ODI's for the West Indies, just 35 behind Shiv Chanderpaul in second, and is one of the best T20 batsmen in world cricket.
No doubt he is being rested for the World T20 which starts on March 16 in Bangladesh.
Dwayne Bravo impressed in Antigua, scoring 87 not out from 91 balls, while Darren Sammy 61 in just 36 balls.

socafighter

Gayle: T 20 Title defence will be difficult
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 11:07:09 PM »
Gayle:T20  Title defence will be difficult
Story Created: Mar 8, 2014 at 8:52 PM ECT
express

Superstar batsman Chris Gayle believes West Indies have a realistic shot at defending their World Twenty20 title but admits the regional side will face a tough challenge.
The big-hitting left-hander was a key member of the side which lifted the T20 World Cup in Sri Lanka two years ago, and is expected to be at the forefront again as the side does battle in March 16 to April 6 campaign in Bangladesh.

“It would be nice if history could repeat itself but it’s going to be tough as the other teams are playing good cricket at this point in time, and they are actually in good form as well,” Gayle told reporters on Friday at Kensington Oval.
“It is going to be good to get [out of the first round], that’s always important. We’ll target that first and then look forward to the semis and hopefully the final.”
Since winning the T20 World Cup, West Indies have lost five of the 10 T20 Internationals they have played. More significantly, they have lost five of the last six within the last year.

The Windies also find themselves in a tough group alongside Australia, India and Pakistan.
Gayle said it was therefore important that West Indies used the three-match T20 series against England starting Sunday at the Oval, to find precious momentum ahead of the World Twenty20.
“[The series] is important for both teams even though England have been playing a lot of cricket but it’s good for us to try and gain some momentum,” Gayle pointed out.

“We haven’t been doing well in the shorter format recently. We lost a lot of games but hopefully we can build some momentum and we can be dangerous at the T20 World Cup if we get some momentum.”
Gayle will be attempting to make a comeback from injury yet again. He was ruled out of the limited over series against India, and the Test and one-day series in New Zealand late last year with a hamstring injury, and his return to action in February was curtailed by a sore back after just one T20 against Ireland.

He said he was looking forward to facing the English in the series, which also sees matches scheduled for Tuesday and Thursday.

socafighter

After T20 dud, Chris Gayle targets his 100th Test
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2014, 09:51:40 AM »
After T20 dud, Chris Gayle targets his 100th Test

Gayle launches his brand of shoes in Mumbai.  ( Source: Express photo by Silip Kagda ) Gayle launches his brand of shoes in Mumbai. ( Source: IE Photo Dilip Kagda )

The Jamaican dasher said that he is looking to regaining fitness for his 100th test back home in
IPL 2013 preview:

Chris Gayle had a disappointing run for  Royal Challengers Bangalore in IPL-7, scoring 198 runs in 9 innings. He appeared to be troubled by a back spasm and an injury to his right leg.  Gayle is now be consulting doctors in Germany about his injuries. Gayle admitted that he was not completely fit at IPL 7 but added that with his T20 season over he is looking to regaining his fitness for his 100th Test to be played back home in Jamaica in June.  Excerpts:

On RCB’s performance
We all are disappointed, all are hurting.The last two years we didn’t make it to the final so we wanted to make it this year very badly. We had a new faces in the team as well but it just didn’t happen. Life goes on and we are still going to keep pushing next year and play better as a team.

On his 100th Test
It will mean a lot to me. I have been serving West Indies cricket for the last 13 years and going on to 14 years now, I am actually looking forward to this milestone. I have missed out on last couple of months because of injury. I was supposed to get past this milestone a long time back but it didn’t happen. As a cricketer these things happen and you pick injuries at crucial times. I have still an injury now and I am trying to get it sorted as quickly as possible so I can be fully fit for the special occasion. It is going to be played at home so it is a big occasion for me and for the people back home too. I don’t have much time but hopefully it work out and I will be back on the field quickly.

On his injuries
It started at the end of the T20 World Cup. I thought initially it was a simple thing but I went back home for a couple of days. Then I travelled back to Dubai to play in the IPL and when I started training I found it difficult. I could not bat properly and bending was a problem and sprinting between the wickets was a problem even though you guys don’t see me running much. It was difficult but I tried my best.

On West indies captaincy
The West Indies Board made the decision. Nothing lasts forever. I have been in that position as well, I have been the captain before. Maybe they are looking towards a younger guy leading towards the future as well. You have to give the younger guy some sort of exposure with experienced players.

On Kohli’s performance
I still think Virat will be the next Indian captain after Dhoni. The passion is the same, the way he speaks in the team meeting to his players, to get them to perform. He is still the guy for the job.

On facing Yohan Blake

I have played against him during a charity match and he got me out.  Guess who took the catch. Usain Bolt! Both of them got my wicket.  We are going to get him (Blake) to RCB next year once he is free. We will give him a crack in the IPL and tell him to go and prove himself bowl as fast as he can!.

socafighter

Chris Gayle Thread
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2014, 08:43:10 AM »
CPL: Chris Gayle's sexist remark leaves women's rights group fuming
Last Updated: Saturday, July 19, 2014, 10:18   

CPL: Chris Gayle`s sexist remark leaves women`s rights group fumingSt John`s Antigua: A women`s rights group here has condemned as "sexist" remarks made by Jamaica Tallawahs captain Chris Gayle to a female journalist at a media conference.

And the group, Women Against Rape (WAR) headed by gender equity advocate Alexandrina Wong, has also criticised the response by the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) to the incident, reports CMC.

Ahead of Thursday`s CPL clash here between Tallawahs and Antigua Hawksbills, Gayle, a former West Indies Test skipper, was asked Wednesday by the journalist: "How does the pitch feel so far in terms of the training (and) the weather?"

The 34-year-old Gayle responded: "Well I haven`t touched yours yet so I don`t know how it feels", before adding "I like your smile; that`s nice."

However, the CPL downplayed the incident, saying that Gayle was just sharing a light moment with the female journalist.

"Chris is excited for the tournament and was having a laugh with a journalist, who had a laugh back; there was no malice intended," the Antigua Observer quoted a CPL spokesman as saying.

"The lady in question had a jovial goodbye chat with him and we don`t believe this was the action of someone who was offended."

Wong slammed Gayle`s statement and also called on the CPL to elicit an apology from the Twenty20 star.

"What it`s implying is one person`s power over another in the use of the language and so we can either say it`s sexist and hegemonic," Wong said, adding that the response from the reporter "indicates that she obviously doesn`t know her right to autonomy".

"She obviously doesn`t know her right when it comes to agency of body so that she can identify certain types of language, how they allude to her biology and what it`s saying about her as a person," Wong said.

"CPL should demand an apology from him because as senior officials they ought to know and to behave better when it comes to gender equality."
IANS

First Published: Saturday, July 19, 2014, 10:18

socafighter

Chris Gayle Thread
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:22:56 AM »
Chris Gayle runs things in Bangalore
Jamaican star cricketer enjoys folk hero status

BY HG HELPS Editor-at-Large helpsh@jamaicaobserver.com

Sunday, July 27, 2014   

BANGALORE, India — The Royal Challengers Bangalore — an Indian Premier League franchise team that represents the region officially named Bengaluru in this part of India — has a handful of prominent cricketers representing it.

Exciting India middle-order batsman Virat Kholi, who leads the team, the experienced Yuvraj Singh, who is back from his battles with a rare form of cancer, and a handful of others represent an aggregation that many believe could have gone all the way in former years to win the super rich Indian Premier League (IPL) Twenty/20 tournament.

But though the Indian cricketers may be popular and highly respected, none is revered in this the third largest city of India, like the Jamaican, Christopher Henry Gayle.

A mere mention of Gayle's name to even those who care little about cricket (and there are some of those in India) evokes almost immediate positive reaction. And there are obvious reasons for it, as Gayle has been the team's most respected batsman for the last two seasons at any rate, despite his lukewarm performance at the end of the 2014 renewal, due in large measure to injury and illness.

If a Jamaican were to wear the black, green and gold shirt that represents the national colours into any store in Bangalore and mention Chris Gayle's name, it would lay the perfect foundation for discounts to be negotiated, for those who have the basic resources to purchase items.

"I will give you the Chris Gayle price if you buy anything from me," one vendor said upon hearing a Caribbean accent and quickly pressed forward to ascertain its exact identity.

Young, old, rich, poor, Muslim, Hindu, Christian, they all either know of, or support the Jamaican in their own wholesome way.

"He has made a lot of impact on cricket in Bangalore," said retired Army Captain Manoj M Athresh, who is manager of public relations and security at the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore.

"He is a person with a passion to greet people, he always has a good laugh with everyone and people like his personality also, it's not just about what he achieves on the cricket pitch.

"People always flock him for autographs. He is really a friendly guy, I am a huge supporter of RCB," Athresh said.

Gayle, 34, who has represented 13 teams in his 15 years of professional cricket, set the IPL alive last year with a punishing, world record 175 against the fittingly named Pune Warriors, a team formerly represented by another Jamaican, Marlon Samuels.

Not only does the former Excelsior High School left-hander hold the record individual score in Twenty/20 cricket, but has also hit the most sixes in the IPL, the most sixes in world T20 cricket, the first international century in T20 cricket, that having been achieved in the 2007 World Cup against Sri Lanka when he reached his feat off 57 balls, and also set a record in the ongoing Caribbean Professional League T20 championship when he blasted an unbeaten 111 for his Jamaica Tallawahs against the St Lucia Zouks, to secure a seven wicket win on July 12 this year.

Gayle, who also brought up his 100th Test match against New Zealand in a losing effort at Sabina Park last June, is not a Bangalore purist, having first represented the Kolkata Knight Riders, but no one who adores him in this city of 8.7 million inhabitants, India's third most populous city, cares about that.

"He is a RCB man. His blood flows through RCB," said Kamal Bhagwat, a 17-year-old student.

Even those barely struggling to express themselves by way of the Queen's English never spared words in describing the big Jamaican.

"He is an exiting batsman, very exiting batsman," said Ravi Dutta, a 26-year-old who obviously wanted to use the word exciting to describe the former West Indies captain.

"When Chris Gayle plays at Chinnaswamy, I have to go. I love Kholi and AB deVilliers, but Gayle is the six man," said Dutta, also referring to the latter cricketer, South Africa's limited over team captain and prolific batsman who did well for RCB this past season.

Gayle's calm demeanour, occasionally placed under the spotlight with verbal revelations sometimes, like his criticism of the Jamaican government recently, and his hitting out at the West Indies Cricket Board three years ago when he had a dispute with that organisation, would surprise even his most ardent supporter in Bangalore.

Some of them even ask if he is usually so quiet, so for them, the big left-hander hitting out at officialdom is as shocking to them as if they were to see him open the bowling as a quickie in a match.

"He is such a quiet fellow, but quite nice. I have never met him, but everybody who gets close to him always say how nice he is," stated Anil, a hotel worker.

Even the staff at the ITC Windsor Hotel here, have nothing but kind words for him.

"Chris Gayle visits this hotel sometimes, but does not usually stay here," said one of the reservations staff who asked that her name not be mentioned.

"When he comes here he greets all the staff happily and with a wide smile. He usually stays at our sister ITC hotel, so he gets the chance to come here as he likes. He is really nice," she said.

Ali, who manages the Mughal Art Gallery at Kamaraja Road in the heart of Bangalore, went as far as saying that India's international cricketers could learn from Gayle and his attitude to the game.

"I usually watch RCB on the television. He is a really nice player and he has a really good attitude also. He never behaves like India's players who sometimes fight.

"The last time when he played in the IPL he was a little bit not himself, but the year before that he was the star. He is a senior player, a real terrific player. He is very cool and the people love him in Bangalore," Ali said.

RCB playing shirts are often sold in the sport shops, costing between the equivalent of US$30 and $50, depending on where it is being sold.

Fans wearing the club's shirt too are often seen in the massive crowds that regularly trek Bangalore's crowded streets. That practice of showing public support for a team that has failed to deliver the goods, in terms of winning the IPL, is due in large measure to the impact that Gayle has created, one local businessman believes.

"Chris is the one who has kept the Bangalore Royal Challengers name in the public spotlight," said Rukesh Gohar, a textile trader.

"It would be better to see a team winning, than an individual standing out, but when that individual achieves great things and breaks and sets records, then that is equally satisfying," Gohar said.

Gayle, one of the highest paid overseas imports in the IPL, will likely represent the RCB again next year, barring injury.

It is something that the club's supporters are eagerly awaiting.

"We can't wait to see him come back. He is the big six man. He hits the most massive sixes," Ali said.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 08:38:45 AM by Flex »

socafighter

Dark and Stormy ......Chris Gayle: a colossus on the pitch
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2014, 07:14:27 AM »
AUGUST 25, 2014
The Wilt Chamberlain of cricket
Roger Sawh | 

It is one thing to do well. It is another to win. It is quite another to dominate.

Domination in sports is something special; after all, there are winners at all levels and in all disciplines, but how many of those winners have been conferred with the classification of "dominant"? What does it mean to deem someone "dominant"? RELATED LINKSPlayers/Officials: Chris Gayle Teams: West Indies

The Latin noun "dominus" means a "lord" or "master". To establish mastery over one's foes implies much more than sheer winning. It speaks of a level of performance that is above and beyond the output of those among you, displaying marked advancement and being strikingly impressive. There is an aura to dominance too - a sense of invincibility, and a notion that, no matter what, when the dominant force pervades, everyone else is merely a notch below.

It would be fair to say that domination can be exerted by players with different styles; one of the most fascinating approaches to domination, though, is through the exercise of brutal power. Perhaps one of the best examples of this came from basketball in the form of "The Big Dipper", Wilt "The Stilt" Chamberlain. While names like Michael Jordan or Magic Johnson have been more popular, Chamberlain has always had a claim to being the most dominant force that the sport of basketball has ever seen - his mind-boggling performances include being the only man ever to average over 50 points per game in an NBA season, and, most notably, scoring the most points ever in a single NBA game with a cricketesque 100. Jordan's highest was 69.

Chamberlain's supremacy was primarily driven by his physically imposing presence: he was a seven-footer known for his uncanny strength and impressive agility. To play against him was not a question of stopping him, it was merely an attempt to limit his impact.

In cricket, the phenomenon of domination - of absolute control of a match - is rare. Batsmen may be in the zone from time to time, bowlers can be in purple patches occasionally, and either may enjoy extended runs of great success over matches or even series, but the variability of conditions in cricket makes domination in all settings quite unusual. Moreover, because dominance calls for a corresponding feeling of anxiety and bemusement to engulf opponents, it is unlikely to have entered the sport very often because of the undulating nature of Test cricket, and the notion that neither side is completely unstoppable when so many factors are in flux.

Gayle is simultaneously comedic, stoic, affable and intimidating. He's an enigmatic mix, seemingly relishing his title of "Mr Cool"
The advent of T20 cricket, though, has opened the sport up to greater displays of dominance because there is so little time to "get back on your feet" after being attacked. Indeed, as a result of the rise of this modern incarnation of our game, I suggest that cricket's answer to Wilt Chamberlain, a prevailing powerhouse on the pitch, is currently among us in world cricket.

Christopher Henry Gayle is, physically, one of the biggest men on the field of play in terms of height, build and sheer physical strength. He also harnesses that strength as the keystone of his performances, relying on a heavy bat and breathtaking might to wield a blade that sends balls screaming away for mercy. Also, like Chamberlain, Gayle has put up some heady numbers that test the limits of conceivability. Here is a man who has bludgeoned 175 runs in a 20-over match, a highest score that is best understood comparatively: the highest score in 50-over cricket is Virender Sehwag's 219, while five-day Tests boast Lara's 400.

Gayle fashioned 175 in just 20 overs; while formats certainly change a batsman's approach, that score is still the sort of number that deserves raised eyebrows, shrugged shoulders and amazed stares.

The comparison of Gayle to one of the most dominant sportsmen of all time does not end at just power and the ability to put up large, dynamic scores. "Crampy" is also a "larger-than-life" personality, much like Wilt was, and is often in the spotlight wherever he goes and in whatever he does. That grand persona is his hallmark: Gayle is, simultaneously, comedic, stoic, affable and intimidating. He's an enigmatic mix, seemingly relishing his title of "Mr Cool".

The most telling comparison between Chamberlain and Gayle, though, must be in the air of invincibility that both men have enjoyed. Wilt was, simply, a goliath on the court; Gayle is a colossus on the pitch. When Wilt was in his prime, it was said that you could count success as merely grabbing hold of his arms to make scoring a little more challenging for him, such was his brutal dominance. Like past legendary dominating forces, when Gayle "turns it on", the world is whipped into a mad frenzy. Bowlers shudder, fielders scatter, spectators effervesce, and the cricket ball, more often than not, flies far. It is through the enviable combination of power and presence that the "Gayle Storm" has become cricket's most ominous tempest.

In life, sometimes, we do not realise how privileged we are to see or experience something because we fail to appreciate how rare it is. The uniqueness of Chris Gayle, an exceptional cricket experience, may be lost on us occasionally. The package that "Dark and Stormy" brings to the pitch is one we ought not to ignore, however, for it is irregular, freakish and magnificent all at once. Chamberlain, it is claimed, may not be the greatest ever, but he is definitely one of the most dominant of all time. In the same way, Chris Gayle is an inimitable sensation before our very eyes, the likes of which may never be seen again. Enjoy the show.

Roger Sawh is a law student in Canada. He writes at www.sawhoncricket.com. @sawhoncricket
RSS Feeds: Roger Sawh

socafighter

Gayle hopeful of making India Tests
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 08:07:11 PM »
Gayle hopeful of making India Tests
Story Created: Sep 29, 2014 at 9:53 PM ECT
Express
 \\\\\ Kingston

Opener Chris Gayle is expressing confidence that he will be fit and ready in time to be considered for the West Indies’ upcoming Test series against India.
Gayle, who has been nursing a lower back injury in recent times, was last week left out the West Indies one-day squad for their tour of the Asian country.
The Test series, however, which features three matches, is set to follow the five-match one-day series, which is set to bowl off on October 8.

“My recovery has been coming on nicely, and I expect to be fully fit and ready in time for the Test series,” Gayle told the Jamaica Gleaner.
“The injury is the same one that has been affecting my back in recent times, but so far it has been coming on well,” added Gayle. “I have been able to give it some rest and as each day progresses, it keeps getting better and better.”

The explosive Gayle, who in June passed the 100 appearances in Test matches mark, has been struggling with the injury since the start of the year and has seen his performances take a dip as a result.
It began in the Indian Premier League in April, where after a series of low scores, he ended up with an average in the 20s.

This was followed by average returns against touring New Zealand in three Test matches in June.
Gayle scored two half-centuries in six innings at an average of 41.60 with his highest being 80 not out in the second Test.
He was not selected for the ensuing two-match Twenty20 international series against the New Zealand.

The Caribbean Premier League followed in August, however, despite scoring a century early on, he followed with less-than-ideal scores thereafter for the Jamaica Tallawahs.
Bangladesh’s subsequent tour of the West Indies in August saw the 35-year-old making scores of three, 58 and six in the one-dayers, and 64 and nine not out in the first of Two Tests.
He did not participate in the second Test.

Gayle, in 103 Tests, averages 42.18, while in one-dayers he has an average of 37.33 from 258 matches. He also has an average of 32.60 from 43 Twenty20 international appearances.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Why no Gayle?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
Why wasn't Gayle selected for series vs Eng. and Aus.

He obviously isn't injured.

Is T-20 the reason?
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why no Gayle?
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2015, 04:48:45 AM »
He's playing in the NatWest T20 series in England.

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 05:45:20 AM »
Gayle's non-selection is simple.
He is in the twilight of his career, and is choosing the 'money'
first option, and who can blame him?
Why no Chanders? Why is it the WICB continues its long standing
poor treatment of the elder statesmen of the Windies game? Sobers? Gibbs?
As much as Chanders has given to the Windies, and its fans, could he not
be afforded the respect of a final send off?

Baffling!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 11:19:37 AM »
Sadly, I can understand where Lloyd is coming from.

Half of me can see the logic in not selecting a man who has failed in nine of last  10 innings.
We are a poor team and selections must be made for the sake of the team.

Unlike Gordon Grennidge, he didn't find out of his non selection on the radio. Both Coach and Selector sat down with him.

But yes, when you have performed and given the kind of service Chanders did, he should have a send off. Perhaps f teams wished to actually play a full series against us, we would have had the luxury.

Having said that, I hope a benefit match is organised for him.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gayle at it again
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2016, 08:05:56 AM »
His bat and the both a them.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Chris Gayle Thread
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 08:39:17 AM »
Gayle slams Sarwan…calls him ‘a snake, deceitful’
T&T Guardian Reports.

An angry Chris Gayle has described Jamaica Tallawahs assistant coach Ramnaresh Sarwan as a snake and a backstabber in a series of videos in which he explains the reasons behind his move from the Jamaica Tallawahs to the St Lucia Zouks for the upcoming Caribbean Premier League (CPL) season.

The Jamaica Talllawahs chose not to retain Gayle for the upcoming season, which facilitated the move to the Zouks where he will play under the captaincy of former West Indies captain Darren Sammy if there is a season, this year.

In the second of three videos posted on Youtube on Monday, Gayle said he believes politics was behind the decision not to retain him and thinks the Sarwan was partially to blame. The global T20 star said he signed a three-year contract with the Tallawahs in 2019 because it was his intention to end his career wearing the Jamaican colours of the two-time CPL champions.

Gayle suggested that Sarwan after failing to get his support to be team manager turned the owner of the franchise against him. That situation along with some Guyanese politics resulted in the Tallawahs’ decision not to retain him for the upcoming season.

“Sarwan, you are worse than the coronavirus right now. What transpired with the Tallawahs, you have a big part to play because you and the owner are like this,” he said crossing his fingers. “You were the one at my last birthday party here in Jamaica on the platform giving big speech (about) how far we coming from.

“Sarwan, you are a snake. You are so vindictive. You are so immature. You still stabbing people in the back. You’re still carrying news. When are you planning to change?”

Gayle then sent a clear message that whatever relationship there was between the two of them, was over.

“Don’t even consider seeing the Universe Boss and saying ‘Yow Chris’ because I am telling you this straight up, that’s it.”

Gayle said this backstabbing behaviour from Sarwan was nothing new. Back in 1996, he and Sarwan were roommates when they were playing youth cricket in Barbados. Sarwan, he said, told Gus Logie and Easton McMorris that he was unable to sleep because he (Gayle) was watching television too late in the night. That accusation, Gayle said, convinced the team management to send him home.

This time, however, the stakes were different. Sarwan, Gayle said, wanted to take control of the Jamaica Tallawahs. He wanted to be head coach and manager and was prepared to do whatever was necessary to achieve his goals.

In 2017, Gayle had departed the Tallawahs for the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots where he spent a couple of seasons. However, he said, he became aware of the dysfunction that was taking place within the team once Sarwan arrived as an assistant coach, a year later. “When I left the Tallawahs it was a high-spirited team and the amount of complaints I get when I wasn’t there. The amount of problems they had with Sarwan. (Andre) Russell was the captain at the time; the amount of problems Sarwan and the captain have, keeping meetings behind the captain’s back and these sort of things.”

Gayle went on to explain that when he returned to the Tallawahs in 2019, Sarwan was telling him that he was going to be the head coach and Donovan Miller was going to be his assistant.

“I told Sarwan directly that ‘Sarwan, you have no experience being a head coach. It is not an easy job.”

The Tallawahs named Miller head coach and Gayle said his refusal to back Sarwan’s ambitions began eating away at the Guyanese assistant coach. Gayle said the team, while a good one, underperformed because they were ‘traumatised by Sarwan”.

“The amount of lies this guy told on the players,” Gayle said. “Sarwan wanted to put curfew on the players when the games were 8 o’ clock at night…he wanted to know why there were so many Jamaicans on the team. You take it upon yourself and say too many Jamaicans on the team.”

Several calls to Sarwan’s Guyana and US numbers went unanswered.

However, Gayle said the news carrying was only part of why he was released by The Tallawahs. In 2018, Gayle accepted an invitation from Guyana’s Minister of State Joseph Harmon, whom he has known for a long time.

“This is all coming from one visit to Guyana. Apparently, Guyana had their election and the minister invited me to his community and the other side, which the owner is a part of as well, got offended and they all take it personal,” Gayle said.

That said, he claims he harbours no ill will against the owner of the Tallawahs, Chris Persaud, whom he said is a decent person.

RELATED NEWS

Gayle rips into Sarwan, calling him a 'snake'
T&T Guardian Reports.

KINGSTON, Jamaica – West Indies legend Chris Gayle pulled no punches as he tore into former teammate Ramnaresh Sarwan in a three-part video on YouTube on Monday, calling him a “snake” and blaming him for his fallout with the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) outfit Jamaica Tallawahs.

In a scathing attack on Sarwan, Gayle accused the Tallawahs’ 39-year-old assistant coach of being vindictive and also charged that management of the franchise was “playing games” with him before his departure.

“What transpired with the Tallahwahs, you had a big part to play in this,” the big hitter charged in part two of the ‘Breakdown of Release From Jamaica Tallawahs’ videos as he directed his comments to Sarwan. “You want the franchise, have it. There’s no Gayle. You run the show.”

Last week, St. Lucia Zouks announced the big hitter as a marquee player for the CPL – the start of which is still in the air because of the novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak – on the heels of him being released by the Tallawahs before the end of his three-year contract.

Gayle, 40, played his first four seasons of the T20 tournament with Tallawahs, which he led to the title in 2013 and 2016, before turning out for St. Kitts and Nevis Patriots in the 2017 and 2018 seasons. He returned to his home franchise in 2019 when the team finished bottom of the table.

Speaking publicly for the first time about parting ways with the Tallawahs, the leading run-scorer in T20I history said: “When I came back to the Tallawahs, Sarwan was assistant coach. Myself and Sarwan had a discussion; he wanted to be the head coach…. So, I’m talking to Sarwan and he was saying he is going to be the head coach and Donovan Miller gonna be the assistant coach. But I’m not going to beat around the bush or go behind him back…. I told Sarawn directly ‘you have no experience being a head coach, it’s not an easy job’. He said ‘ok, whatever you want, you’re the captain, no problem, we’ll leave it at that’.”

Gayle claimed that Sarwan was upset by his assessment and the fact Miller was selected head coach, and held that against him.

“Sarwan, you were the one, my last birthday party here in Jamaica, on the platform giving a big speech about how far we have come. Sarwan, you are a snake…You are so vindictive, you are still immature.… When are you going to change, Sarwan? When are you planning to change?” he charged.

The Jamaican also indicated that he had issues with the Guyanese cricketer from as far back as 1996, when they were youth cricketers.

“We shared the same room in the West Indian Under-19s. You allowed the management staff to send me home from Barbados. I will never forget that, you know. I forgive but I’ll never forget that,” he said. “You told the management team…that you can’t sleep [because] Chris Gayle was watching TV too late in the night. That’s what I got sent home for.”

Flashback: Chris Gayle and Ramnaresh Sarwan in happier times.

In his rant, Gayle also claimed that people were jealous of him and his success.

“Out of that era – 1996 – I’m the only one active, playing. Everyone else retired. I’m the last man standing within that era…and I’m still going strong. So it kind of hurt them to see Chris Gayle still playing and still being successful. I’m talking about past and present players,” he said.

The management of the Tallawahs did not escape Gayle’s ire, although he made it clear he had no problem with franchise owner Kris Persaud whom he described as a good man.

“No love lost, you still have my respect,” he said in a message to Persaud.

However, he was critical of CEO Jeff Miller.

Gayle claimed that before the March 31 retention submission deadline, he had a conversation with Miller who told him the franchise was struggling financially and asked him to take a pay cut, which he said he agreed to, although his contract stated that his pay would increase with each year.

Another request was subsequently made, the T20 specialist said, and he eventually agreed to an even lower fee.

However, Gayle said, there was a third request for him to go even lower, on the deadline date, which he refused, and after promising to get back to him, Miller submitted the team members to CPL officials without his name. He said he only knew about the omission because people at CPL called to ask him why they were not seeing his name.

“Jeff didn’t contact me to say ‘Chris, we’re not signing you’, or ‘we’re not retaining you’. He hasn’t come back to me to say anything,” Gayle charged.

(CMC)

« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 01:54:42 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 08:47:25 AM »
Gayle: This is all politics
JELANI BECKLES (NEWSDAY).

CHRIS Gayle believes the decision to release him from the Jamaica Tallawahs could be politically influenced.

Gayle, who will line up for the St Lucia Zouks in the 2020 Hero Caribbean Premier League, did not hold back his feelings in three videos posted on Youtube.

At the end of part one he said it is political.

“Let me tell you why the Tallawahs did not really retain me now. This is all politics right now,” Gayle said.

“I am not a politics person, never been in politics, I am not part of politics and I don’t support politics. This is all politics and this is personal as well.”

Gayle said on one of his visits to Guyana a minister from People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) took him to his community leading up to the elections and “the other (political) side, which the owner (of Tallawahs Kris Persaud) is a part of as well, get offended and they all take it personal. So that’s how it actually started.”

Gayle said he knows all the political parties saying, “I am not into politics. I have known everyone for years because I have been to Guyana so often so we kind off build that relationship with everyone.”

Gayle believes Persaud was influenced to get rid of him. “Kris Persaud the owner, he is very nice man…I have no problems with Kris Persaud.”

The Universe Boss added, “I think he was actually persuaded to get rid of Chris Gayle. He is not that type of person I can tell you that. I don’t know him well I might be wrong, but the little time I spent around him and got to know him a bit more he is not that type of person…someone has to be in his ears telling him all these things saying, ‘Mr Persaud get rid of Gayle, get rid of Gayle.”

Gayle said Tallawahs CEO Jeff Miller is also being instructed.

At the end of part one, Gayle said, “Kris Persaud – no love lost, you still have my respect. If I see you on the street I will still call to you. I am not the person to malice anyone. At the end of the day franchise cricket is business, business is business, cricket is business on a whole.”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2020, 01:52:13 PM »
Gayle's unnecessary vicious verbal attack.
By Colin Murray (Guardian).

Another bacchanal surfaced a few days ago - Christopher Henry Gayle has blasted Jamaica Tallawahs CEO Jeff Miller and his former teammate since Under 19 level, Ramnaresh Sarwan. Gayle called Sarwan, “worse than the coronavirus”- a statement I find incredibly insensitive and appalling considering that COVID-19 is responsible for over 200,000 deaths around the world. You see my friends when these athletes have nothing to do but train, their emotions start to run high and all the pent up energy can't be put to use on the field so they let it out in video clips and Facebook rants.

Gayle may very well be speaking the truth, but I genuinely don't feel that a player still playing the game at the international level should be washing his dirty linen in public. Gayle is not the first player to be given a raw deal and be shown total disrespect. He definitely won't be the last but surely his rant could have waited until he retired. He is undoubtedly hurting as he wanted to retire with his beloved Jamaica Tallawahs, but his attack on Sarwan is untimely. He wanted to explain to the Jamaican diehards why he was discarded by the Tallawahs and a simple quote from him that certain people in the staff wanted him out would have sufficed for now.

Let's face it, he doesn't have long in the game again and even a quiet, private word in the right ears would have got the message through.

Chris Gayle does not simply do things; he speaks like he bats, without any inhibitions, but the threats in the video were, in my mind, dangerous. When Gayle looks back to his Under-19 days and being a roommate with Sarwan, he has now developed a high level of animosity towards him and it is such a pity as they have both given cricket fans so much joy over the years.

Will Miller and Sarwan reply and dispute what Gayle is saying? Will they be able to offer a reasonable explanation to Gayle's claims? What about the owner of theTallawahs, Kris Persaud? Although he escaped Gayle's wrath by him saying he is a good man, what was his role in this? Surely, if he wanted Gayle, he would have insisted that the 'Universe Boss' be playing with the Tallawahs. But was his dropping politically motivated by his visit to Guyana?

There are always three sides to a story so I suppose we will wait to see what plays out with this latest bacchanal.

On another note, I am losing count of the number of old video clips I am getting with action from the past; both in cricket and football are unbelievable. All of Brian Lara's great innings and the stumping, or was it the non-stumping? of him by Aussie wicketkeeper Ian Healy back in 1999 at the Queen's Park Oval.

What a disgrace that was! Forward to the pleasant innings of Lara and the inevitable question of what I thought was his best innings. Without a doubt, his 277 at Sydney back in 1993. Here was a young, 23-year-old man getting his first test century and just batting and batting and batting, never for a moment looking as if he was going to get out. In addition to that, fans were talking at the time about him breaking Sir Garfield Sobers' record of 365 with his first test century in this particular innings until he was unfortunately run out. I have been able to look back at all of his great knocks but that 277 still stands out for me because of his age, where it was achieved, against the particular opposition, and being his first.

Then, the greatest all-rounder the world has ever seen, Sir Garfield St Aubrun Sobers and his magnificent 254 when playing for the Rest of the World vs Australia. What a great knock. No helmet, hooking, cutting, pulling, driving or flicking - what a cricketer! By now, you would realise that in my view, he is the greatest batsmen that I have ever seen.

Keep safe my friends and stay indoors!

Editor's note:

The views expressed in this column are solely those of the writer and do not reflect the views of any organisation of which he is a stakeholder.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »
Sarwan: Gayle hurt my family.
By Vinode Mamchan (Guardian).

Jamaica Tallawahs assistant coach and former West Indies middle-order batsman Ramnaresh Sarwan has responded to serious allegations made by opener Chris Gayle during an outburst on Youtube on Wednesday.

Gayle, disappointed at not being retained by the Jamaica Tallawahs for the 2020 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) broadsided Sarwan during the video.

In a scathing attack on Sarwan, Gayle accused the 39-year-old of playing a role in his departure. “What transpired with the Tallahwahs, you had a big part to play in this,” the big hitter charged in part two of the Breakdown of Release from Jamaica Tallawahs videos as he directed his comments to Sarwan. You want the franchise, have it. There’s no Gayle. You run the show.”

Sarwan in response said: "I was the focus of most of the onslaughts. I reply, not because I feel that Gayle’s rantings are worthy of it, but because I feel that the public’s record must be set straight and also, to protect the character and careers of so many people, whose image he sought to besmirch.

"No doubt, Gayle’s utterances have done immeasurable damage to the “gentleman’s game” of cricket, in particular, West Indian cricket. As a former International Cricketer, who had the privilege of donning West Indian colours, I feel compelled to speak in defence of this great sport which has unified the Caribbean more than anything else over the past 50 years.

"It is my sincere hope that Gayle’s damnation has not irreparably damaged the unity and brotherhood which cricket has forged across the West Indies. Let me make it abundantly clear, that I have played with Gayle from the inception of my international career and I have always respected him as an extraordinary talent, a colleague, and most importantly, a close friend. Hence, my utter shock by these scandalous allegations. He was welcomed in and is loved by, my immediate family. He has hurt them terribly. Fans will recall, that when Ian Chappell called for Gayle to be banned from international cricket because of remarks he made to a female journalist, I issued a public call for fans to rally around Gayle. I stood up for him on every such occasion. But this missive is not about that."

Sarwan said, "Gayle refers to an incident as far back as 24 years ago, of which I have no recollection. He claimed that I caused him to be sent home from Barbados during a tour because he was watching television all night in the room which I shared with him. This is a total fabrication. No competent management would remove from a series, a player of Chris’s calibre, on such a trivial allegation. I categorically deny any involvement in the decision or the decision-making process, which led to Gayle’s non-selection to represent the Jamaica Tallawahs in the 2020 Caribbean Premier League (CPL) Tournament. In fact, the management of the franchise itself has issued a public statement that “the truth is that this decision was made collectively by the Ownership and Management team which did not include Ramnaresh Sarwan and based purely on business and cricketing reasoning.”

He pointed out, "I have been officially attached to the Jamaica Tallawahs since 2018. I was first offered to play for the side. I refused because I felt that young and upcoming Jamaican and regional talents as well as overseas players, ought to be given that opportunity. I was then offered the position of Head Coach but deferred to Mark O’Donnell, who was with the team several years prior. Instead, I accepted the position of Assistant Coach. In 2019, I was appointed Head Coach. I reached out to Chris and discussed with him, the selection of a team. I did so out of respect for him. In my conversation with Gayle about the team, he informed me that Donovan Miller, a Jamaican and a very close friend of Chris should be appointed Head Coach as he would better understand the culture of the Jamaican players."

Sarwan revealed, "I conveyed Gayle’s view to the CEO, informing the CEO that I would be happy to step aside for Miller’s appointment given that Chris feels strongly about his appointment. My priority was what would be in the best interest of the team. Gayle is fully aware of the background, yet he accuses me of fighting to be Head Coach."

The attractive right-handed batsman said he did support the implementation of curfew on the players, which was criticized by Gayle in his outburst.

"I accept full responsibility for my recommending that the team management consider imposing a curfew on players prior to matches. And I stand by that decision. Such restrictions are standard operational procedures in almost every international sport so that when it is time for performance on the field, the players are physically and mentally prepared for the challenges.

"In any event, the curfew was never implemented, so I do not understand why Gayle has made this an issue. I absolutely reject Gayle’s allegation that I encouraged foreign players to disrespect him. I really do not understand how he came to such a conclusion and this simply is not true. My deep concern is that young and upcoming players who regard Gayle as a role model may think that this is an acceptable way of addressing problems that may befall them in their careers."

He ended, "To the cricketing world and cricketing fans everywhere, more particularly, West Indian cricket fans, all of whom I love and respect dearly, in particular, those in my home country of Guyana and Jamaica who have always supported me throughout my career, I express my deep regret on this unfortunate saga and I hope that it will lower neither Gayle nor I, in their estimation. I thank all those who have conveyed their support to me and rallied around me during this unfortunate turn of events and take the opportunity to wish Chris all the best with his new team and the upcoming CPL."

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2020, 07:52:47 AM »
Gayle: I meant every word
JELANI BECKLES (NEWSDAY).

CHRIS Gayle has stated that his comments concerning his departure from the Jamaica Tallawahs may damage the image of the Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL), but did not apologise saying he spoke from the heart.

At the end of April, Gayle went on a rant releasing three videos on Youtube titled Breakdown of Release from Jamaica Tallawahs. Gayle gave reasons why he thought he was released by the Tallawahs, which included blaming assistant coach and former West Indies teammate Ramnaresh Sarwan.

Gayle said Sarwan asked him if he had the ability to coach the Tallawahs. Gayle told him he was better off being an assistant.

According to Gayle, Sarwan, the ex-Guyana and WI batsman, was upset that he did not get the head coaching job at the Tallawahs and was responsible for him (Gayle) not being retained by Tallawahs.

Sarwan denied having any involvement in Gayle leaving the Jamaica franchise.

Gayle’s statement that was made public on Friday on the CPL website. “I made these videos with one single intention – to explain to the fans in Jamaica the reasons behind what has now become my second departure from the Tallawahs franchise," said Gayle. "It was my greatest wish to finish my CPL career in Jamaica – playing in front of my home crowd at Sabina Park with the franchise that I had previously led to two CPL titles. In so far as my resentment at the treatment, I stand by my comments in those videos. My words were spoken from the heart.”

The Jamaican and West Indies cricketer said he knows his comments may damage the league’s image.

“Having said that, I must be honest and say that I now realise how portions of my comments may be viewed as being damaging to Cricket West Indies, and to the CPL Tournament and its brand – a tournament which I have sincerely enjoyed not just being a part of, but also helping to build and promote. It was never my intention to damage the T20 tournament, as playing in the CPL has guaranteed an opportunity for the past seven years to play in front of the great fans of the Caribbean.”

Gayle said he is looking forward to playing with the St Lucia Zouks.

Chairman of the CPL Tournament Committee (CTC) PJ Patterson said, “This (Gayle statement) was received by the CTC and shared with the CPL and CWI (Cricket West Indies) to the satisfaction of all parties. Given the assurance of Mr Gayle to act in good faith, it therefore is no longer necessary to empanel a Tribunal. The CTC, the CPL and CWI therefore consider the matter closed.”

1]; } ?>