April 19, 2024, 05:40:40 PM

Author Topic: The David Nakhid General Discussion Thread  (Read 1874 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The David Nakhid General Discussion Thread
« on: June 14, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
The following sentence from the UNC media release is noteworthy:

Mr Nakhid has long been a staunch supporter of the UNC and an avid believer in the leadership of Kamla Persad Bissessar.

This was a necessary declaration with respect to the political leader. Although the legacy of UNC support challenges comprehensive credulity, it is intriguing messaging to the party base. On balance, both of those sentence clauses are the most important elements of the media release. More important than Nakhid's biography and more important than the legwork that facilitated this opportunity.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2020, 04:39:34 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The David Nakhid General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »
Puke :banginghead:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 02:02:09 AM »
Puke :banginghead:

Why yuh banging and hurting yuh head now? It's up to Balisier House to repave the road to Balisier House LONG before elections are around the corner. Repave the road, do a landscaping facelift along the walk-up to the entrance, repaint the door and "touch-up" the welcome signage, and continually re-brand and monitor the internal aesthetics more than cosmetically.

There are no automatic buyers among window-shoppers on a smelly street with two main stores littered with a history of consumer protection and customer service issues. Where you shop probably depends on how you hold your nose ... or to your point, where you don't puke.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 02:11:53 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 11:48:14 AM »
Ah want to see KPB and UNC control he
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2020, 11:32:37 PM »

No control dey nah
" birds of a feather keep flocking the place forever"

Waits nah did this same DN not turn he back on the national team at one time?  Quit or left?
 Well in TnT we suffer from  memory lapses - this was the same country that allowed a certain man to coach national teams despite his involvement in traitors acts against a government back in the  days.     
Oh yes we tend to like commess and  anyone who lives on the fringes

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2020, 05:01:52 AM »

No control dey nah
" birds of a feather keep flocking the place forever"

Waits nah did this same DN not turn he back on the national team at one time?  Quit or left?
 Well in TnT we suffer from  memory lapses - this was the same country that allowed a certain man to coach national teams despite his involvement in traitors acts against a government back in the  days.     
Oh yes we tend to like commess and  anyone who lives on the fringes

We get it: his choice is not your cup of tea. I have an acute understanding of why that would be the case based on a reading of your prior contributions and of the UNC's many entries in Hansard. Perhaps DN will express why he made the UNC choice, as best he can without the political rhetoric. At least then there will be a public statement placed on the record. Of course, not all reasons will be placed on the public record. That's the nature of the landscape.

HOWEVER, in my view, I'm not sure that attempting to denigrate Nakhid's service to football is profitable fodder on a political platform.  I'm sure the opportunity to expand on this view will arise during the course of this thread maturing. I'll bookmark that view for now so as to get to the Shabazz comment.

One question is: on balance, has Shabazz done more good than not in contributing to football since his rehabilitation into national life post-1990? Observers from other societies would contend if the answer is "yes", there is a success story in evidence. What's your answer?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2020, 05:10:24 AM »

Most relevant in the context of maintaining parliamentary discipline but first he has to be elected. Everything else outside of parliamentary debate would be rabble-rousing. Frankly, barring a sound whipping in 'Puna on Election Day, I see only upsides for Nakhid.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2020, 10:10:31 AM »

Most relevant in the context of maintaining parliamentary discipline but first he has to be elected. Everything else outside of parliamentary debate would be rabble-rousing. Frankly, barring a sound whipping in 'Puna on Election Day, I see only upsides for Nakhid.

I have no issue with David's choice. It is his God given right. His football history is a benefit for him. His verbosity is a plus in my opinion. But it can also be a picant in his foot, if he don't go off in tangents.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 07:20:15 PM »
Well look what trouble David get himself into

UNC Candidate David Nakhid Called Trinidad Police The Enemy - Later Apologises

https://socamusictv.blogspot.com/2020/07/unc-candidate-david-nakhid-called.html?fbclid=IwAR2tGpDCNywI6DVYnatReKJKf725okz1Vfls4QsM3yK2L861Ay0IEQIeOhA

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2020, 03:06:52 AM »
Nakhid defends social media post on race relations
T&T Guardian Reports.

United National Congress Senator David Nakhid has stood his ground on comments he made in a Facebook post about certain ethnic groups yesterday—even after party activist Devant Maharaj called him out on it.

Maharaj’s concerns on Nakhid’s post comes in the wake of the recent General Election where race reared its head during and after the campaign. Leaders and groups across T&T, including President Paula-Mae Weekes and Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley called for an end to the race talk.

In his lengthy post yesterday, Nakhid spoke about his focus on “the upliftment of the black and brown people of the East-West corridor,” whom he said were most historically oppressed people in T&T. He’d added, “If our White and Syrian brothers and sisters had so found themselves, there is no doubt I would have fought for their liberation with every power I could muster.

Truth be told, some people of the latter mentioned groups have been the perpetrators and facilitators of the oppression of our black and brown sisters and our black skin white masks (Fanon) leaders have been complicit writ large in the oppression and corruption subsequently inflicted on the majority of the population, even up to the present day. So my mission is one of transformation. Economic, Social, Philosophical and yes personal.”

Addressing Nakhid’s post, Maharaj said, “Once again the issue of race has been dragged back onto T&T’s table when T&T is supposed to be uniting to fight COVID, as the UNC leader—and others—have urged.

“The statements of the failed (Tunapuna) candidate continue to underscore UNC’s inability to understand race relations in T&T. It also explains why UNC had election ads which were perceived as racist by many. Once again, it points to deficiencies of the leadership in appointing someone like Nakhid to the Senate.”

But Nakhid, rubbishing Maharaj’s comment, told Guardian Media he had no problem speaking about the issues he did, since he’d put it in full context in his post. Reiterating his post, Nakhid said it was there for the people to see who are T&T’s “majority shareholders”

He said if it had been “our white and Syrian brothers” in the position of being undernourished and miseducated, he’d have been the first to uplift them. He said the issue occupying his consciousness was not black or brown.

Nakhid said he felt comfortable with his post, which he said was, in truth, a clarion call for unity.

“You’ll find nothing disingenuous about my statements, only a rank political opportunist or some of the one per cent might take objection, as these are facts which would be disturbing to them as they are the ones partly responsible for the state of T&T.”

Nakhid said since it was a clarion call for unity, he could see why Maharaj would have problems with it.

“But I’m not interested in anything Maharaj has to say on the dynamics of race. Or anything else,” Nakhid asserted.

Nakhid’s Facebook post:

“I don’t know if it’s called integrity, stubbornness or just plain plain bad mind, but I’ve always been like this, from Rosary Boys RC to St.Mary’s College to The American University in DC. It’s all in with me or I move on. You will find no flip-flopping, wavering or hesitancy in calling anyone out on their duplicity. Yes, I may have to clean up my language somewhat, because I have been appointed to the Senate, and having accepted that appointment from our Political Leader Mrs Kamla Persad-Bissessar, I have to respect the office. Mind you, not because of the cumbersome standing orders and superficial protocols I could give 2 flying firetrucks about that but it’s because I now represent the PEOPLE of Trinidad and Tobago. All of you. Not a Segment, Not a constituency, Not a race.....ALL OF YOU.

So even if more measured, I will be cutting that cloth of social inequity and economic injustice with the same fervour and spirit as before. I’ve been asked by both supporters and non-supporters alike about my intense focus on the upliftment of the black and brown people of the East-West corridor, the answer is simple. It’s not, because they have black and brown skins that my energies are directed towards their liberation, but because these people, our brothers and sisters have been and are the most historically oppressed people in this country. Pre-and Post-independence.

If our White and Syrian brothers and sisters had so found themselves, there is no doubt I would have fought for their liberation with every power I could muster. Truth be told, some people of the latter mentioned groups have been the perpetrators and facilitators of the oppression of our black and brown sisters and our black skin white masks(Fanon) leaders have been complicit writ large in the oppression and corruption subsequently inflicted on the majority of the population, even up to the present day. So my mission is one of transformation. Economic, Social, Philosophical and yes personal.

I don’t want my supporters behind me, I want you all next to me. I can lead as well as I can follow proper leadership but the time for blind patronage is over, if we are on this mission together then together must mean that everyone sacrifices according to their means, the heavy lifting becomes easier when everyone steps up and puts their hands, foot, mouth, shoulder, forehead, on the bar. I leave you with a mantra of my own: There are 3 things corrupt politicians and corrupt people fear most: Loss of power, loss of wealth and loss of life. Let us, the majority shareholders of this blessed land ensure the first 2 are carried out before the 3rd sadly but inevitably becomes a reality. LOVE IN THE HOUSE !!! “

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2020, 05:26:41 AM »
We're off to the races, albeit perhaps a tad earlier than anticipated.

David, despite appearances, and credible reasons to doubt that it is, Trinidad and Tobago is a more layered and sophisticated political landscape away from the electoral platform than one might surmise it is.

In delivering political messaging, every word matters ... (1) both when uttered or stated and tellingly (2) at inopportune subsequent junctures --- although often in the mystique of "T&T not being a real place", it's tempting to forget that they do.

Do not be seduced by the thrust of broad "cultural" deliveries at the expense of delving into granular considerations of what the secondary words could mean or imply. The granular secondary considerations are where there is an intersection of political cost, political benefit and political naivete. To get to the point of walking in the direction of a crisis, emergency or hazard at the precise moment when the natural instincts of many would lead them away from the point of crisis, a proper foundation has to be laid.

Those are the first observations. 

Second,  consider this: message content as if responsive to an actual IPSOS poll rather than as responsive to one's perception of the data.

What would an IPSOS poll suggest about Trinbagonians' mature understanding of themselves? Operating even one standard deviation outside of that understanding will bear no fruit unless accompanied by supplementing information that adds to the narrative.

Third: do not presume that presumed political deadweights are permanently dead. Often the dead are actually those who appear to be resurrected or are imminently to die.  Treat everyone as alive and consequential, despite appearances.

There's little doubt this post will be revisited.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2020, 05:07:35 PM »
One might think that a UNC politician advocating for the "upliftment of black and brown people" would be a smart move. Why not widen the tent?

"T&T is supposed to be uniting to fight COVID". Not sure how addressing historical inequity in the North-central region will cause Corona virus to spread. Very strange
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2020, 11:57:52 PM »
What’s wrong with what he said? Neo colonialism and institutional racism combined with the local sell outs, makes his statements even more relevant ..

Plus you have politicians dividing the nation to get the pie shared out by their offshore masters..

So really what’s wrong with what he said? Where does the cocaine end up? Is it Syrian and white Trinis shooting each other in the EDR?

Don’t be fools..

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2020, 11:40:22 AM »
What’s wrong with what he said? Neo colonialism and institutional racism combined with the local sell outs, makes his statements even more relevant ..

Plus you have politicians dividing the nation to get the pie shared out by their offshore masters..

So really what’s wrong with what he said? Where does the cocaine end up? Is it Syrian and white Trinis shooting each other in the EDR?

Don’t be fools..

While I agree with your statement, blaming politicians for all our problems and divisiveness is a red-herrings. We saying that for years. The problem is We. It is in our DNA.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2020, 08:35:17 AM »
How could one speak with a degree of prosperity when the said leader they serve has alledegly had alleged  corrupted practices by several ministers? The Life of sports still has a ring to it
Clean out theyampie inyuhown yard before yuh begin pelting stones

I say to he use your. Ind and yuh wisdom yuh fix yuh own glass house then when yuh have that secure come out and talk yuh talk.

I do think if the party he represents had ah leadership race he would be an interesting candidate to  challenge fun leadership
Then we go see how the party faithfuls look upon he as leading the UNC? Leah we see if they ready for that
I would like to endorse his candidacy for leadership of that party-
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 09:12:25 AM by ABTrini »

1]; } ?>