March 28, 2024, 06:42:38 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Bahamas Game (5-Jun-2021)  (Read 18758 times)

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Bahamas Game (5-Jun-2021)
« Reply #210 on: June 05, 2021, 07:25:31 PM »
You guys killed you know that? so we loss the bloody game and we’re out, that’s life!! don’t make it harder than it already is. The fact remains we have no youth de elopement system, no youth league, no academy system, a unattended league with no structure, yet when we underachieve you heap blame on the wrong people.

Why not start with the people who actually should be held responsible like the ministry of sports who never build one full time football school, the local regional stake holders who still play football on community playgrounds where every one uses, the people who voted for camps and Warner for two decades who has done absolutely nothing to advance football for in 25 years.

so don’t blame fenwick, start with the players who can’t score a sitter in the box, or the local club coaches who never taught their players the basics like passing and shielding a ball properly, or the federation presidents who were only in football to seek their own interest and the people who facilitated them. yes fenwick should go for the simple fact that he was unable to motivate the players, but was losing his fault, did he blow any of those chance tonight?

Fenwick's fault hands down. Even at our worst, we should not have lost this game. Our guys are much more talented than BAH. If you watched the PR game and this one, you will see that these guys didn't know what to do. They waiting on Fenwick instructions.
I don’t agree. It wasn’t fenwick who missed an open net in the dying stages of a must win game. The reality is that we don’t have quality players, there’s no one even in the lower leagues in Britain at all our guys are playing in in lower leagues around asia and europe. let’s be honest here, if you have quality then a coach matters but little. Just face it mate, our players really really lack quality and that’s the bottom line they are piss poor.

Ok. .

Listen all of our players are professionals. They get paid to play. BAH on the other hand may have 1 professional who gets paid. This means our players are better.

So ask yourself this question, How can a team with only 1 professional player pull off a result against a team of professionals? It's because the coaching is bad. Not because BAH is better. .

When a team of technically more skilled players loses to a team with much less skill, the culprit is the coaching. Let me remind you BAH lost to every team in the group. It is BAH, not Haiti. . It is BAH, not Curacao. It is BAH, a team that starts every qualifications campaign knowing that they ain't go make it to the next round.

Well said

Offline lil damo

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 05, 2021, 07:30:34 PM »
We have to stop blaming the coaches of this team and look closely at the collective lack of quality within the squad. We need better administration, infrastructure and programming to develop better quality players. We haven’t produced good players and as a result each coach we put in keeps getting blamed when the team disappoints. Stop looking at the coaches and start looking at the quality of players available.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 05, 2021, 07:30:58 PM »
Ah doh care how many SORRY structural problems exist in T&T football. This match was not drawn because of them. Nor was the PR match drawn because of them.

I agree.. So what was the reason?

Our approach to the match was WRONG!

I think Fenwick did not focus on getting the early goal. His approach was to wear them down in the 1st half then turn on the engine and win the 2nd half.  That's what it looked like to me.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 05, 2021, 07:34:30 PM »
Look Loy dam you dam you dam you :banginghead: :frustrated: :cursing:
what about damn jack and DJW? I feel good to see idiots like you in pain, if you could stay hurting I’d settle to see us losing for the next ten years. What about damn skeen and romany who refused to listen to benhakker, wim risebergen, francisco maturana and Otto fister who all told them to fix the league and raise the standard of play, but instead took offense to foreigners telling them what to do? this bullshit didn’t start yesterday, it’s been decaces in the making and now the fruits of our labor, or lack thereof is bearing.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 07:37:16 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 05, 2021, 07:35:49 PM »
We have to stop blaming the coaches of this team and look closely at the collective lack of quality within the squad. We need better administration, infrastructure and programming to develop better quality players. We haven’t produced good players and as a result each coach we put in keeps getting blamed when the team disappoints. Stop looking at the coaches and start looking at the quality of players available.
thank you very much. :beermug:

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 05, 2021, 07:39:03 PM »
thank you very much. :beermug:

Yep I know there are structural issues too.  But in this case, it was the TFs tactics. Pros shouldn't lose/tie to non pros. When it happens, it's the coaches approach.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 05, 2021, 07:40:56 PM »
Ah doh care how many SORRY structural problems exist in T&T football. This match was not drawn because of them. Nor was the PR match drawn because of them.

I agree.. So what was the reason?

Our approach to the match was WRONG!

I think Fenwick did not focus on getting the early goal. His approach was to wear them down in the 1st half then turn on the engine and win the 2nd half.  That's what it looked like to me.

Nah. He wanted to win in the first half. There was NOTHING to wear down: it was the bloody BAH.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 05, 2021, 07:42:26 PM »
TT football in a nut shell for the past 25 years has been one step forward 10 steps backward, and in light of that I say it’s time for serious planning which should be implemented ASAP to take us out of this rot, thats if those donkeys even realize it instead of playing the blame game. I gone.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 05, 2021, 07:43:52 PM »

How much more quality was required? We were the more experienced team.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 05, 2021, 07:45:25 PM »
TT football in a nut shell for the past 25 years has been one step forward 10 steps backward, and in light of that I say it’s time for serious planning which should be implemented ASAP to take us out of this rot, thats if those donkeys even realize it instead of playing the blame game. I gone.

Yes. But how do you explain 2012 to 2016 under Hart ? The best we looked in years.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 05, 2021, 07:45:49 PM »

Thank you

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 05, 2021, 08:17:08 PM »
What de arse??!!

Well can't say I'm surprised.....with all the crap going on with Trinidad & Tobago Football administration.....Stevie Wonder could have seen this coming!!

Steups!!

Weary must be rolling over in she grave.... :'( :'(

I really miss weary posts. especially when she say STEUPSE  :D

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 05, 2021, 08:38:04 PM »
what about damn jack and DJW? I feel good to see idiots like you in pain, if you could stay hurting I’d settle to see us losing for the next ten years. What about damn skeen and romany who refused to listen to benhakker, wim risebergen, francisco maturana and Otto fister who all told them to fix the league and raise the standard of play, but instead took offense to foreigners telling them what to do? this bullshit didn’t start yesterday, it’s been decaces in the making and now the fruits of our labor, or lack thereof is bearing.
At least J Warner was hiring decent coach's who knew what they were doing unlike Tim Kee ,D J Williams and Look Loy who was hiring there friends like J Shabazz ,S Heart  ,D Lawrence and T Fenwick know wonder TT football have been going downhill ever since.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 05, 2021, 08:51:54 PM »
WATCH: Post-match comments from Head Coach Terry Fenwick after Trinidad and Tobago's 0-0 draw with Bahamas

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Wc-Wngaem_g" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Wc-Wngaem_g</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 05, 2021, 08:52:10 PM »

I'm no TF fan, ever since he hit that youth player in his head back in the day, he lost my respect not to mention that salary he demanded for this job.
In the first 25mins of the game we should've been up 3-0. We missed some sitters. It did show we were the more experienced team and we were able to break them down. I left and came back at the 70th minute and shocked the game was still 0-0 so can't really comment there. Despite the lack of tactical adjustments, are the players not to take some blame for their performance in terms of missed chances?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #225 on: June 05, 2021, 10:12:51 PM »
At least J Warner was hiring decent coach's who knew what they were doing unlike Tim Kee ,D J Williams and Look Loy who was hiring there friends like J Shabazz ,S Heart  ,D Lawrence and T Fenwick know wonder TT football have been going downhill ever since.
listen nancy if you're going to sell a story at least make it believable. jack warner for starters hired one good coach in his whole 25 miserable years of wrecking TT football while filling his filthy pockets., that coach ironically was leo benhakker, he then went on to hire a hand ful of inconsequential coaches who made no significant impact like wim, maturana, latapy and otto fister who got us kicked out in the early rounds of the world cup just like fenwick.

the string of bad results we're seeing today is as a consequence of jack warner's legacy, he has done zero for the development of football not only in TT but in CFU as a whole. as for mr timkee, he achieved in one term what mr warner has failed to do in his years as head huncho, he has achieved our highest fifa ranking where our football was gaining respect again, in fact his legacy lead us to two gold cup semi finals and a world cup hex since 2009.

so go ahead and bad mouth steve hart and fenwick you bloody racist asshole, that would make TT football better. it's wankers like you who have us in this condition because you can't see beyond you bullshit. the disgruntled loud mouth trini know it all syndrome is rife in you, always talking but could never put anything of value into fruition.

and this is why we will suck ass until we get brutally honest with ourselves, it's not bad coaching and tactics that have us in termol, it's our lack of vision and planning that's reaping the terrible rewards of our foolishness. so blame fenwick and hart and the other white men that peeves you, that would make things better now. as for me, i'm hoping someone with vision would rise from the ashes and finally stand up for TT football and change this insidious narrative. amd don't bother to reply mate, i just can't stand you and people like you who blame the misfortunes of this country on people who are trying their best to make a difference while exonerating the real villains, you make me sick in every fiber of my being.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 10:27:04 PM by pull stones »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: June 06, 2021, 12:18:28 AM »
F me that was depressing. Let's start by acknowledging thr TTFA is the root cause of our persistent failure.

That said, what the actual F is Fenwick doing for his money? He came in all Billy big bollocks, claiming left and right he was the man, staggered in with arrogance that all previous work was pointless, getting rid or ignoring the scouting network built while he watched YouTube in his underwear for players.

He brought in the wrong players and doesn't have a clear tactic or strategy in mind. I'm honestly surprised but perhaps he thought discipline was enough? Maybe he bought into neo-colonial attitudes of "they're all lazy and undisciplined". I'm an Englishman so no claims of bias against him here - he had his shot and has failed awfully. Every single player on our squad would walk into The Bahamas, and we were held to 0-0.

Don't give me bollocks of near chances, Bahamas have been absolutely battered by worse teams. You only get here from a lack of confidence in yourself and the manager, poor tactics and a lack of motivation from your coach.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: June 06, 2021, 01:08:35 AM »
listen nancy if you're going to sell a story at least make it believable. jack warner for starters hired one good coach in his whole 25 miserable years of wrecking TT football while filling his filthy pockets., that coach ironically was leo benhakker, he then went on to hire a hand ful of inconsequential coaches who made no significant impact like wim, maturana, latapy and otto fister who got us kicked out in the early rounds of the world cup just like fenwick.

the string of bad results we're seeing today is as a consequence of jack warner's legacy, he has done zero for the development of football not only in TT but in CFU as a whole. as for mr timkee, he achieved in one term what mr warner has failed to do in his years as head huncho, he has achieved our highest fifa ranking where our football was gaining respect again, in fact his legacy lead us to two gold cup semi finals and a world cup hex since 2009.

so go ahead and bad mouth steve hart and fenwick you bloody racist asshole, that would make TT football better. it's wankers like you who have us in this condition because you can't see beyond you bullshit. the disgruntled loud mouth trini know it all syndrome is rife in you, always talking but could never put anything of value into fruition.

and this is why we will suck ass until we get brutally honest with ourselves, it's not bad coaching and tactics that have us in termol, it's our lack of vision and planning that's reaping the terrible rewards of our foolishness. so blame fenwick and hart and the other white men that peeves you, that would make things better now. as for me, i'm hoping someone with vision would rise from the ashes and finally stand up for TT football and change this insidious narrative. amd don't bother to reply mate, i just can't stand you and people like you who blame the misfortunes of this country on people who are trying their best to make a difference while exonerating the real villains, you make me sick in every fiber of my being.
Once you said Leo Benhakker was the only good coach J Warner hired I know you is just another bandwagonist just coming on the site to yap your gums if Russel Latapy never came out of retirement Leo Benhakker would have been another failed coach that came to TT the other coach's was good also.

Tim Kee legacy would be how he put the TTFF in depth by giving all those inflated bogus contracts to his friends D J Williams was wright not to pay them that money and to say TK help get TT to the gold cup semifinals twice you better stop smoking that spliff mate the only time TT reach a gold cup semifinal was in 2000 so get your facts straight mate.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: June 06, 2021, 02:22:00 AM »

I'm no TF fan, ever since he hit that youth player in his head back in the day, he lost my respect not to mention that salary he demanded for this job.
In the first 25mins of the game we should've been up 3-0. We missed some sitters. It did show we were the more experienced team and we were able to break them down. I left and came back at the 70th minute and shocked the game was still 0-0 so can't really comment there. Despite the lack of tactical adjustments, are the players not to take some blame for their performance in terms of missed chances?

Wait until yuh see the chances.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: June 06, 2021, 02:39:01 AM »
has anyone asked why the players didn't perform? Ah wonder why.

Have they been fully paid?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: June 06, 2021, 07:42:37 AM »
Given that handicap SH did a hell of a job. DJW didn't look at his overall achievements under less than desirable conditions. The main reason he got fired was because of his skin colour.

I beg to differ that SH got fired because he was white. Is like me saying local coaches don't get a fair shot because they Black. I feel he got fired because TT had lost to Haiti in Panama in a one off game to go to the Conmebol tournament. The other which I think was the final straw, was when Stephen stood up to DJW about the team going on a tour to Equatorial Guinea just after they came back from a tour of China or Japan(can't remember exactly).

I always felt DJW wanted to clear house when he won election. The winner always want their own people( Haddad has his own people). But DJW could not fire him because there would have been a backlash. Stephen was doing a good job(in my opinion). Yes we bump hurdles in two GC quarter finals, but we played some of our best football against the CONCacaf number one team, Mexico. But the two things I mentioned earlier, I think were the reason for SH firing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 07:45:02 AM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: June 06, 2021, 07:56:09 AM »
And for those who say that TT have issues with foreign coaches need to look at the history of national team coaches hired from the time we started playing WC in 66. We have hired many foreigners(good and bad) among the list. And the reason Jack hired Beenhaker was because he was getting plenty bwah for hiring Atkinson(former Villa coach, correct me). Dwight, Shaka and a couple of guys who played in England objected to him because of what he had said about non-white players in the the past.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: June 06, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »
<a href="https://youtube.com/v/jI-r5Pf5_hA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/jI-r5Pf5_hA</a>

"A stunning development ..."

"This is stunning ..."

"To be out before the final match day in a group of teams you should beat ..."

"Something very sour must be going on in the federation ... This is bad .... This is their 'rainy night in Couva' ..."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago knocked out of World Cup qualifying by Bahamas
« Reply #233 on: June 06, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »
Trinidad and Tobago knocked out of World Cup qualifying by Bahamas
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

SOCA Warriors were eliminated in the first round of the 2022 World Cup-qualifying campaign after a 0-0 draw against the Bahamas at the Thomas Robinson Stadium in Nassau, Bahamas, on Saturday.

T&T needed a win to stay in contention in Group F, but Saturday’s result means the Soca Warriors have five points after earning one win and two draws. St Kitts/Nevis will advance as the group winner as the tiny Caribbean island are on nine points with one match remaining.

The match between T&T and St Kitts/Nevis on Tuesday will be a warm-up match for the latter as they prepare for the next round of competition. T&T squandered several opportunities against a well organised Bahamas outfit.

The Bahamas packed their defence which worked for the team ranked 201st in the world. Bahamas goalkeeper Ian Lowe was one of the players of the match as he kept T&T at bay throughout the contest. T&T wasted numerous opportunities to take the lead in the first half including an effort by Andre Fortune in the 35th minute. Fortune collected the ball from just outside the box but his shot just missed the target.

The Bahamas created chances of their own as in the 36th minute Lesly St Fleur almost gave the home team the lead with a brilliant solo effort. He evaded three T&T players, but his attempt went wide.

With five minutes left in the first half, Lowe continued to be the hero for the Bahamas with two more incredible saves. In the final minute of the half, Marcel Joseph’s effort was just outside the box forced T&T goalkeeper Adrian Foncette to make a top save.

The second half was similar to the first half as T&T continued to attack without any luck. T&T midfielder Duane Muckette got two chances in the first six minutes, the second a shot from outside the box that failed to hit the target.

Bahamas maintained the same strategy that worked for them in the first half by defending in numbers and hitting T&T on the counterattack. T&T continued to press with T&T head coach Terry Fenwick introducing many substitutes in an attempt to salvage a goal. Khaleem Hyland, T&T’s captain in earlier qualifying matches, along with Judah Garcia, Daniel Phillips and Daniel Carr came on.

T&T attacked and attacked some more with Neveal Hackshaw hitting the post with a header in the 80th minute. Carr also missed a header in the 86th minute as time started to run out on T&T’s chances of staying alive in World Cup qualifying. It was not meant to be as the Bahamas held on for the draw.

Following the match, Fenwick said, “First of all I have got to hand to Bahamas...they wore their hearts on their sleeve, they fought for every ball and they grinded out a result. I am very disappointed for us in T&T, squandering multiple opportunities with the quality of players that we’ve got in the squad this is a big disappointment.”
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 10:43:43 AM by Tallman »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
WARRIORS ELIMINATED: Fenwick’s men held goalless by Bahamas
« Reply #234 on: June 06, 2021, 10:58:54 AM »
WARRIORS ELIMINATED: Fenwick’s men held goalless by Bahamas
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express)

COACH TERRY FENWICK failed to inspire Trinidad and Tobago’s senior men’s national footballers to victory over Bahamas last night, and as a result, the Soca Warriors were eliminated from World Cup qualifying in the first round for the first time.

Needing three points, T&T were held goalless by the Bahamas yesterday in a Qatar 2022 CONCACAF zone Group F World Cup qualifier at the Thomas Robinson stadium, ­Nassau, Bahamas.

It was a head-scratching performance, as T&T struggled to beat a Bahamas team which went down 7-0 to Puerto Rico a few days earlier, having also conceded 15 goals and lost all three previous matches played.

The Soca Warriors moved to five points and will not advance even if they beat group winners St Kitts and Nevis on Tuesday.

St Kitts and Nevis (nine points) benefited from playing a third home match when defeating Guyana 3-0 on Friday night, but will be away from Warner Park for the first time in the series when they take on T&T in the Dominican Republic—T&T playing their home match at a neutral venue due to Covid-19 restrictions at home.

Sheldon Bateau wore the captain’s armband in place of regular skipper Khaleem Hyland who came into camp late. Coach Terry Fenwick experimented with a three centre-back line-up comprising Bateau, Neveal Hackshaw and Aubrey David, allowing wing-backs Keston Julien and Shannon Gomez room to go forward.

Fenwick started with Adrian Foncette in goal, along with Julien, Gomez, Bateau, Aubrey David, Hackshaw, Joevin Jones, Duane Muckette, Andre Fortune II, Levi Garcia and Ryan Telfer. But trying to be patient, T&T were often too patient and lacked decisiveness.

Bahamas made it difficult during an opening goalless first half when their goalkeeper, Ian Lowe, stopped goal-bound shots from Bateau, Muckette twice and Telfer. And near the half-hour mark, Jamaica-based Leslie St Fleur looked set to give Bahamas the lead from a dangerous solo run which saw him hit the side-netting and Marcel Joseph almost stunned goalkeeper Foncette with a curling shot near half-time.

Becoming increasingly agitated as the second half wore on, Fenwick made five changes but failed to get the valuable goal. Hackshaw headed Joevin Jones’ free kick onto the woodwork; substitute Daniel Carr was stopped by the Bahamian keeper, while Daniel Phillip put a header over before the nightmare finally ended.

And soon after the final whistle, Fenwick told the media: “The result is very disappointing for us in Trinidad and Tobago... The q

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: June 06, 2021, 01:50:54 PM »
Stop the bleeding
Foregone conclusion - ent ah say so?

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2021, 05:24:09 PM »
Allyuh see the scores in the other concacaf games? It rained goals on all the minnows. Except Bahamas.
This was a disastrous effort by our side. A low we have never seen before. This is not the run of the mill failures we have had before against good teams. This was utterly incompetent on our part.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2021, 06:12:53 PM »
Allyuh see the scores in the other concacaf games? It rained goals on all the minnows. Except Bahamas.
This was a disastrous effort by our side. A low we have never seen before. This is not the run of the mill failures we have had before against good teams. This was utterly incompetent on our part.
just listened to the 7 o clock news and mr kenwin made a comment that struck me hard, he said that workers down their tools when they are not happy. so wait, yuh mean to tell me that they will actually sabotage the team because they don't like the coach or the federation and to hell with the fans? To think of it, these guys has always been poisonous especially that jovin jones boy. if they truly didn't give their all then i will not be supporting TT football no more and will route against them every time they play, matters not. IMO that's just pure evil. christiano with all his faults would have never even repeated such treasonous words. kenwin Jones was always a soft as baby shit bloody wankers.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2021, 06:59:14 PM by pull stones »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #238 on: June 07, 2021, 10:23:30 AM »
I am very disappointed - Soca Warriors coach Fenwick.
By Nigel Simon (T&T Guardian).

T&T Soca Warriors coach, and former England international Terry Fenwick has described this country’s first-round exit from the 2022 Concacaf Qatar World Cup Qualification campaign as a big disappointment on Saturday night.

Fenwick was hired late last year under controversial contractual circumstances by former T&T Football Association (T&TFA) President, Williams Wallace after the firing of former national player and World Cup hero, Dennis "Tallest" Lawrence, who led the team in the previous qualifying final round of qualifiers for Russia 2018 without much success.

On Saturday night, the Soca Warriors quest for a spot at next year’s Qatar FIFA World Cup came crashing to a halt at the first hurdle, their earliest ever exit, following an underwhelming goalless draw against host Bahamas at the Thomas Robinson Stadium in Nassau.

Going into the match, coach Fenwick’s men needed a win to have any chance of advancing to the next round and to keep pace with Group F unbeaten leaders St Kitts and Nevis which defeated Guyana 3-0 on Friday night, ahead of both teams meeting on Tuesday, the final round-robin match in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

However, a misfiring T&T line-up failed to score against group minnows Bahamas who had conceded 15 goals in their three previous matches, two 4-0 defeats against St Kitts and Nevis and Guyana and a 7-0 mauling from Puerto Rico on Tuesday last.

But just needed to win by any margin, T&T featuring a host of overseas-based players in the starting line-up failed to even score once.

With the goalless draw, T&T improved to five points from three matches, four behind St Kitts/Nevis who whipped Guyana 3-0 on Friday, with only one match left to play for each team and only the group winner advancing.

In their first two matches, T&T had blanked Guyana 3-0 on March 25, followed by a 1-1 draw with Puerto Rico three days later which left them trailing St Kitts and Nevis by two points after two matches, and needing to win their remaining two encounters to top the group.

For the Bahamians, it marked their first-ever point from World Cup qualification since a 6-0 win over Turks and Caicos in 2011.

Commenting after his team’s exit from the World Cup campaign, a sombre Fenwick, a former England 1986 World Cup defender when asked his thoughts on the unexpected result based on how the Bahamas had performed in the group stage thus far said: “First and foremost, I’ve got to hand it to the Bahamas, they had a game plan and they dug in deep. They wore their hearts on their sleeves, they fought for every ball, and they grinded out a result.

Trying to find answers for his team’s miserable display, Fenwick, a former winning T&T Pro League coach with San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC said, “I’m very disappointed for us in T&T.

“We squandered our chances and the quality of players that we have got within the squad, this is a big disappointment.

He added, “We didn’t give any chances away really ourselves and we created possibly six, seven, eight chances and didn’t convert and if you don’t score at this level, teams can come back and bite you.

“And I thought that’s what they did. The Bahamas showed a lot of pride and passion played for their country, and the chances that we missed were glaring.

With their campaign all but over, under-fire Fenwick and his players will now turn their attention to their Nations League Qualifier against Montserrat on July 2.

However, with the match against St Kitts and Nevis on Tuesday left to play, Fenwick said his team will look to give the group winners a run for their money. The team arrived in the Dominican Republic yesterday.

He said, “We will be going into that match with the same game plan used against the Bahamas.

“We obviously thought we would have had a better result than we had, but we have got top class players and we have some good youngsters coming through and it’s time to see them, and we will give St Kitts and Nevis a good run for their money.

Asked if any changes in the team can be expected for Tuesday, Fenwick replied, “Possible we can see a different formation, but I will be looking for better going forward, creating chances which we did today, and our finishing was poor.

RELATED NEWS

Trinidad and Tobago football team puts old wine in new skins
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday).

Trinidad and Tobago put old wine into new skins in Nassau on Saturday, but the brand new BOL kit designs failed to mask the deep problems in local football.

Instead, T&T football sank to a new low after an abysmal performance in a 0-0 draw against 201st-ranked Bahamas.

The shocking result ended the country’s 2022 FIFA World Cup campaign before it had really begun.

Assistant T&T coach Kelvin Jack buried his head in his hands at the final whistle, perhaps replicating what Soca Warriors fans had been doing throughout the 90 minutes of frustration by coach Terry Fenwick's team.

Bahamas certainly gave their all, showing pride and grit after conceding 15 goals unanswered in their previous three games.

In contrast, the Soca Warriors looked uninspired, discombobulated and without purpose, as Bahamas refused to roll over.

BOL, a Miami-based sports apparel company, is charging US$90 each for the new designs.

Coach Fenwick, after the game, blamed TT's profligacy in front of the goal for the draw.

"We created about six, seven or eight chances and didn’t convert – and if you don’t score at this level, teams can come back and bite you, and I thought that’s what they did.”

T&T's shooting was certainly poor, but Fenwick hardly told the full story of a must-win encounter.

Errant passes from both sides were prevalent throughout the game and gave Bahamas belief, as the match grew on, that the Soca Warriors were perhaps at their level.

T&T players looked unsure about where they should be on the field or where their teammates were. The intent to score was there, but the approach to the end product was lacking.

National captain Khaleem Hyland's late arrival to the camp from Saudi Arabia, 24 hours before the game, meant he could only join in the second half – and his absence on the field showed.

But even so, T&T still should have had enough talent to take care of business against a very weak Bahamas team. Footage after the game showed the Bahamians, bottom of Group F, celebrating their point – their first in World Cup qualifying in over a decade.

Fenwick certainly has to take the majority of the blame for the campaign's abrupt end – although there was no mention of that in his post-match interview in the Bahamas. The Englishman, after over a year in charge, has yet to leave an imprint on the squad.

Off the field, meanwhile, there have been unnecessary distractions, including a confrontation with team media officer Shaun Fuentes over media personnel being invited to media conferences.

Against Bahamas, Fenwick was unable to effectively utilise AEK Athens' Levi Garcia down the right flank. On the left side, multiple MLS champion Joevin Jones struggled to make an impact and was forced backwards regularly.

A swap of flanks might have given Bahamas something different to think about. It never happened.

Instead, the minutes ticked away with T&T no closer to breaking the deadlock.

As T&T struggled to string together passes, it took them almost the duration of the game to try a more direct approach. Unsurprisingly, it was a free kick from the left, which Neveal Hackshaw headed onto the post, which almost rescued T&T.

Too little too late.

Accountability and transparency remain issues that keep T&T football stagnant.

How did T&T reach here, a Soca Warrior fan living under a rock might ask.

It was less than a year ago that FIFA threatened to throw T&T out of the World Cup campaign without a ball being kicked.

Football administrations continue to play the blame game so endemic to the country. The FIFA normalisation committee points fingers at United TTFA, United TTFA blames David John-Williams, and John-Williams says it is his predecessors’ fault – all while football deteriorates and each administration makes similar mistakes.

Just last week women's football director Jinelle James acknowledged not adhering to proper protocols, under the normalisation committee, in the appointment of two assistant coaches.

Fenwick's contract – US$20,000 a month – has been fraught with controversy, with ex-TTFA president Wallace refusing to accept the blame for signing a deal which was supposed to be for US$17,500 a month.

Former technical director Keith Look Loy said other perks in the contract were never brought to the technical committee or the board – a car, a phone and paying Fenwick’s taxes.

United TTFA had promised an open style of governance and to do things differently from John-Williams.

Local football is at a tipping point with the covid19 pandemic and its economic impact huge obstacles to its progress.

Sport Minister Shamfa Cudjoe recently hinted that the Pro League would not receive automatic support from the Government as she called for a proper business plan. Football remains the most popular sport locally, but investment without a proper plan and execution would be spinning top in mud.

T&T needs to be rebuilt properly from the ground up. Ex-T&T captain Kenwyne Jones, immediately after the game, began urging people to be proactive and get certified to get involved at all levels.

Super League and Pro League teams must engage their fan base to build support and rivalry. Women's football must not be an afterthought.

It's been 20 years since four stadiums were built for the FIFA Under-17 World Cup. But the last time a football event drew a capacity crowd at one of the main stadiums was December 2, 2014, when Ecuador beat T&T’s women 1-0 for a spot in the 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup.

It should be a reminder that infrastructure alone does not translate into sporting success.

On being elected TTFA president in November 2019, Wallace said, "When we start to play good football, the fans will come out.”

Judging from the latest performance under Fenwick and the normalisation committee, it's gonna be a while.

Strike Squad defender Brian Williams laments World Cup exit
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

TRINIDAD AND Tobago football is at its lowest point ever and in dire need of divine intervention in all aspects of the game.

So says Brian Williams, former 1989 Strike Squad defender, who believes the future of T&T football lies within the creative minds of ex-national players, who wish to one day, return the Soca Warriors to being one of the region’s most feared teams.

The 59-year-old dubbed T&T’s “disappointing” exit from the Concacaf World Cup qualifiers as a cause for “major concern” and called on former players to come together with the sole intention of reversing the team’s downward spiral.

Williams made these remarks following T&T’s 0-0 result against Bahamas on Saturday, which saw them unable to advance to the next Concacaf qualifying round and omitted from 2022 FIFA World Cup qualification.

“The major concern is where do we go from here?" asked Williams on Sunday. "The way we went out was embarrassing. People are disappointed. It was difficult for me to even carry high expectations for us to qualify for the World Cup.

“We are expected to go past teams like Bahamas. I think we got to look seriously in rebuilding our football. It cannot get any lower than this I think. We’re down and we need to get back up.

“We got to rebuild and put things in place with the footballing minds that we have available. Dwight Yorke, Russell Latapy, Dennis Lawrence, Shaka Hislop, Brent Sancho, Clayton Morris, David Nakhid, myself and other footballing minds of the future have to come together,” he said.

Williams, a past national men's team assistant coach and former T&T Under-20 men’s coach, called on coach Terry Fenwick and the players to accept total responsibility for the upsetting result which ended all hopes of the nation’s presence at next year’s World Cup in Qatar.

While he thinks that last year’s legal wrangling between the TT Football Association (TTFA) and FIFA, the challenges which followed (with FIFA appointing a normalisation committee to oversee the TTFA's affairs) and the covid19 pandemic may have had negative impacts on the team's preparations, Williams does not believe these issues should be used as scapegoats for the squad’s poor performance.

Prior to the Bahamas draw on Saturday, T&T defeated Guyana 3-0 (March 25) and drew 1-1 against Puerto Rico (March 28) in their other Group F qualifiers. St Kitts/Nevis, however, won all their three matches to date and, with an unassailable nine points, they will advance to the next stage of competition, despite the outcome of their final group clash against T&T on Tuesday. The T&T-St Kitts/Nevis match will take place at Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Williams said, “I coach the game but I didn’t see any enthusiasm and drive by the players. You’re not seeing the players trying to play in some way to really win a football game.

“We got take responsibility, even as coach. Fenwick has to answer and take responsibility like everyone else. The coach, more so, is responsible for a team’s performance.

“When I looked at the game I saw nothing. All of us who represented the country and have it at heart were totally embarrassed with what we saw on Saturday. We have to get together and put our football administratively and in all other aspects, in place,” he added.

Similarly, former national captain and English Premier League striker Kenwyne Jones took to social media to voice his concerns on the team’s performance. He, however, was not critical of their showing but sought to encourage his fellow countrymen to find solutions to help T&T out of its current footballing demise.

Jones posted to Facebook, “To my friends, past teammates, put aside your fan view for a moment and be proactive, get qualified in sport business and administration, coaching at all levels to ensure that we help develop our sporting culture and practices in this country.

“It’s no use sitting at home now being critical of what we see now if we're not actively trying to be a part of the solution.”

Having arrived at the end of T&T’s 2022 World Cup qualification campaign, the squad will soon shift their focus to the 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup.

TT begins their Gold Cup quest against Montserrat, in a preliminary round match, on July 2 at the DRV PNK Stadium, Fort Lauderdale, Florida, US. The winners of this match will play the winners of the Cuba-French Guiana fixture on July 6, for a chance to join Mexico, Curacao and El Salvador in Group A.

The group stage will run from July 10-20, followed by the knockout stage (July 24 to August 1).

Looking ahead to the Gold Cup qualifiers, Williams does not see much room for improvement with just over three weeks to go. He questioned the team’s strategy going forward.

“We cannot carry hopes into the Gold Cup. The Gold Cup is just a few weeks away. What do you see could be done in any meaningful to have a great impact in such a short space of time? What is our approach to this competition? We’re not on solid ground,” he said.

In conclusion, Williams agreed with Jones’ statement and believes all avenues of local football must be reassessed if T&T is to, once more, return to being a formidable force in the Caribbean.

“We have to go deep into disappointment. And we’re here. We have to deal with the reality of things; how football has been going in T&T, the challenges we had, the pandemic and how we can move forward.

“The talent gap among nations is closing but we are regressing. We should have been moving higher up the rankings (FIFA). What we need to do is to look seriously, including myself, to get involved to trying to assist the football and moving in the right direction.

“The answers are simple but several,” he closed.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 10:31:06 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 07, 2021, 11:02:41 AM »
Ah  fenwick said we have top class quality players ...  :-\
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

1]; } ?>