March 29, 2024, 02:39:23 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Puerto Rico Game (28-Mar-2021)  (Read 14711 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Thread for T&T vs Puerto Rico Game (28-Mar-2021)
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2021, 01:31:43 AM »
Soca Warriors unimpressive display.
By Keith Look Loy (T&T Guardian).

Dear Editor,

After getting by a poor Guyana outfit with a mediocre performance, we all hoped for a win and a better display against unheralded Puerto Rico on Sunday. I was left distinctly unimpressed by what was, in fact, a worse display; one in which, but for the heroics of goalkeeper Frenderup, we were very lucky to have a draw and a share of the points. Frankly, with due respect to Puerto Rico, I fully expected we would win against a country with no footballing pedigree, which had hired its coach only days earlier, and which had lost to St. Kitts. Not so in the event.

We started slowly and poorly while Puerto Rico demonstrated readiness for the battle with two attacks inside the first minute. They never let up after that. Indeed, the determination to have a result was demonstrated in their early appearance from the tunnel after the half time break, and their taking to battle stations while my team strolled out to resume battle without the look of urgency expected from a team realistically chasing a World Cup berth.

The highlight of our performance was the goalkeeping of Frenderup. Surely the number one jersey is his to lose now. He was outstanding. Not much more could be placed in the positive column. Having seen two matches now, my concerns are, briefly:

BALL POSSESSION

Our ball retention and rotation is lacking in energy and far too lethargic. We make too many unforced errors (sloppy passing), and often dangerously so. We seem uncertain how to move the ball from the back, through the lines, and into the opposing penalty area.

DEFENCE:

1. Is the selection based on a physical prototype preferred by Fenwick? Tall, big, strong. I ask because for the third match now we saw Hackshaw, who is known as a defensive midfielder, appearing as the left back. Every position has associated physical, technical, psychological, tactical characteristics, which are the basis of effective performance in that position. Our wing backs, particularly Hackshaw, do not meet the basic wing back characteristics. But he doesn't select himself. This is on the coach.

2. As ever, our defence is far too porous, and lacks a marshal. An organizer. We continue to be plagued by the twin issues of a) lapses in concentration, as evidenced in poor passing out of defence, and loose marking - the Puerto Rican scorer was surrounded by four defenders; and b) lack of cover, particularly for Hacksaw (as in the Guyana match), who was tormented by the seventeen year old Rivera all match long.

3. I don't know where the team wants to regain possession and how. Pressing is inconsistent and not effective enough.

ATTACK:

1. Compared to the Guyana match, the wing backs were more involved in the attack. But because they are not natural wingbacks they are very limited in their offensive actions. They do not make plays or combine with team mates in the attacking third, or in and around the opposing penalty area. They do not enter crosses. I do not have the match statistics but I am sure they will support my analysis.

2. The team lacks creativity in midfield. Only Muckette has the look of a natural playmaker and his play is far too laid back. He needs to demand more of himself, he needs to get on the,ball more and play progressive football (as opposed to little back and lateral passes), something which I discussed with him during 2020 USL season. An important aspect of effective attacking play is forward running out of midfield, which is virtually nonexistent at the moment.

3. Our shooting is generally very poor. Frankly, Levi Garcia's efforts on goal are unprofessional for a forward in an elite European league

4. We lack a genuine centre forward, of which there are different types, but Telfer is not mobile enough and disappears from the match and he is not a predator.

MATCH MANAGEMENT

Fenwick did not manage the match properly. After a dismal first half Muckette correctly entered but Poon-Angeron, not Phillips, should have been substituted.

Mitchell entered to replace the injured Jones and proceeded to do nothing. Why wasn't the dangerous Judah Garcia used, as he was to good effect against Guyana?

The truth is that senior players like Jones and Levi Garcia not doing enough to show their level at all. Compare their effort to that of Rivera.

So now we are looking up the table at St. Kitt's, who beat Puerto Rico, and need only to beat Guyana to put themselves even more in the driver's seat for the last match of the group. Still, we have two months to improve the team via recruitment. Whatever Fenwick does, I suggest he talk to his assistant coach, Derek King, about bringing in two of my club, FC Santa Rosa's, former players, now with Halifax Wanderers of the Canadian Premier League (CPL) - 2020 league top scorer Akeem Garcia and midfielder Andre Rampersad (club captain). Accuse me of favouritism if you will, but I cannot understand why Telfer (also CPL) is in the team while Garcia is not. Derek was assistant coach to Stephen Hart at Halifax in 2019.

So we look to June. Two months. Let's see what transpires then.

Keith Look Loy
Former chairman
TTFA Technical Committee

RELATED NEWS

Sancho: T&T lacked energy, purpose.
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday).

FORMER T&T footballer Brent Sancho was unimpressed with the national team’s display against hosts Puerto Rico at the Mayaguez Athletics Stadium, Mayaguez, on Sunday.

T&T and Puerto Rico played to a 1-1 draw in their 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone Group F fixture, with Joevin Jones scoring for T&T in the 54th minute, and substitute Ricardo Rivera equalising for Puerto Rico in the 72nd.

Sancho said on Monday, “It was a disappointing result and an even more disappointing performance. I thought that the players looked tired, (they) lacked energy. From a team perspective, they lacked purpose and they looked second best for most of the afternoon. I think (goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup) put in a Man of the Match display. I was disappointed that we never changed the course of the game.”

T&T defeated Guyana 3-0 on Thursday, at the Estadio Panamericano, San Cristobal, Dominican Republic but struggled on the artificial surface at Mayaguez on Sunday.

However, Sancho refused to blame the surface in Puerto Rico for T&T’s subpar performance.

“Both teams have to play on it,” he said. “A lot of the players, at some point of their career, would have played on artificial turf. Jones played his entire (2020) season on turf with Seattle.

“I think where the turf would have been a factor is that it does wear and tear you,” continued the ex-T&T defender.

“I was very surprised they went with the same team. The majority of them played so many minutes in the last game, to come in such a short space of time and play a next set of minutes, I thought that was strange, particularly when you have a huge travelling squad. I thought they would have tried to rotate and bring some fresh legs. That really surprised me, the team selection.”

The four substitutes used by T&T coach Terry Fenwick on Sunday against Puerto Rico – Duane Muckette, Jabari Mitchell, Willis Plaza and Andre Boucaud, were not used against Guyana.

According to Sancho, “Muckette and Plaza, I think, should have started (against Puerto Rico). It didn’t make sense bringing in a 36-year-old Boucaud and not playing him at all.”

But the Central FC owner acknowledged, “They looked very tired, especially in the middle of the park. Everything was very slow in our build-up, compared to the Puerto Ricans who were snapping about (on) the pitch and who were moving the ball faster than us.

“To add to that, throughout the whole game, we never changed our approach. We stuck with that particular formation, we never changed or tried to use some variants tactically to give the Puerto Ricans a different look. They clearly were double-teaming Levi Garcia. I would have played him through the middle at some point.”

Did he think Boucaud’s introduction was a signal that T&T were satisfied with a draw against Puerto Rico, instead of using an attacking option to seek full points?

Sancho replied, “I think we lost the impetus through the team selection. The way the game started to evolve, we wouldn’t have been able to push for a winner. It started so badly for us. If there was any time to make a change, I would have done it at half-time, play three up front or three at the back, give them a different look.

“We have to give the Puerto Ricans some credit because they did their homework, in the way they approached us. We went in with the same approach against Guyana and it didn’t work. I think the horse had already bolted the stable, later on in the game.

“In the second half, it looked like there would only be one winner. If you were a gambling man, you would have probably said Puerto Rico are the ones who would have gone on to win.”

About Frenderup’s performances against Guyana and Puerto Rico, the former Sports Minister pointed out, “I still believe that Marvin Phillip is a very talented goalkeeper, and (Adrian) Foncette for that matter. Frenderup has (come) in and done very well thus far.

“We’re truly blessed with talented goalkeepers. During the World Cup, we had three very talented goalkeepers,” he continued, referring to Kelvin Jack, Shaka Hislop and Clayton Ince. “As a former player, I would feel safe with any one of that three that I went to the World Cup with, in the goal. I think it’s a similar situation here now.

“I’m sure, during the course of this campaign, they would continue to push and strive, and give each other competition. It’s one of the few bright spots, coming out of these two games.”

T&T control their destiny.
T&T Express Reports.

Sancho points to ‘keeper Frenderup as positive in overall disappointing display.

TWO former national team players and a former manager says the T&T men’s national football team has it all to play for following a 1-1 draw away to Puerto Rico in their World Cup qualifying match Sunday.

All three said the “Soca Warrior”’s fate is in their control, with T&T needing to win their next two games against the Bahamas and group leaders St Kitts and Nevis, to advance to the next phase of Qatar 2022 World Cup Qualification.

Coach Terry Fenwick’s men are scheduled to play Bahamas, in Nassau, on June 5 before hosting St Kitts and Nevis in what could be a crucial and decisive encounter on June 8.

Former “Strike Squad” captain Clayton “JB” Morris said the team lacked chemistry while they also played against a Puerto Rican team with nothing to lose.

“They (Puerto Rico) could only gain, playing at home on a surface that they are accustomed to and that we (T&T) are not accustomed to, with youngsters who were hungry for success, with a coach who encouraged their players to go out and express themselves freely...coming up against a team like that it is always difficult to beat them,” Morris assessed, adding that our players also failed to lift their play and conduct to a professional level.

Morris suggested the team (T&T) lacked cohesion and match fitness and that the “Soca Warriors” must now adopt a similar aggressive attitude like Puerto Rico if they are to advance. “Our destiny is in our hands,” Morris said. “We now have to go beat St Kitts and win the other game against the Bahamas. So destiny is in our hands.”

Former “Soca Warrior” Brent Sancho said the performance lacked energy and purpose. “And a lot of individuals, mostly the experienced ones, would have let themselves down,” Sancho assessed, adding the “Huracan Azul” (Blue Hurricane) was not a particularly special outfit.

With a squad of 26 players to choose from and with two games within days of each other, Sancho said there was need for more rotation of the players when you consider the factors of travel, Covid-19.

“It was a bit mind-boggling that they didn’t rotate some players, change up some players in the middle of the park, where you needed a little bit more energy and desire. To be honest, playing on an artificial surface after playing Guyana on grass... the artificial surface is very taxing, so I think all those things really led to a really poor performance and to be honest if it wasn’t for our goalkeeper we would have lost that one.”

Denmark-based goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup made crucial stops to ensure T&T came away with a point (draw). Sancho said he remains concerned about the lack of fitness in some players, who ended their international club campaigns since November but seemed short of work Sunday.

“It is strange that from a fitness perspective...it is something that it should not be because nine out of ten times a national team isn’t afforded that (amount of) training time (together), so that is an aspect that really baffles me a bit because that side of it is not there,” Sancho explained. He further highlighted that there was also a failure to make tactical, formational, and positional adjustments during the game.

Former national manager Jamaal Shabazz determined that it was always going to be a tough game for this country, coming up against a very organised and motivated “Boricua” squad.

He said after a lacklustre first half, he felt T&T only came to life in the second half when local-based player Duane Muckette was introduced to engineer a period of play the “Soca Warriors” dominated, and when Joevin Jones eventually scored (56th minute).

Shabazz said Group F leaders St Kitts & Nevis has been making steady progress over the last five years and that he had predicted before the start of the qualifiers that they would be a team to beat.

“But T&T should still be pleased with four points from two games, (Fenwick) has been under tremendous pressure from within the football fraternity and outside of it. It is something that he certainly will have to get accustomed to...graduating to international football. This pressure is very different from club football.”

While Shabazz admitted the result was cause for concern, he is still optimistic about T&T improving and advancing, as he believes T&T possesses a formidable squad, but it is up to some players to become fitter and the team to become better organised.

“In World Cup qualifiers, this is the nature of it, the ball does not bounce exactly like you want it and you have to grind out some results. It will be a test of our character, but very possible. Our destiny is still in the hands of the performances for the next two games,” Shabazz noted.

“My advice would be for coach and staff to focus on football, zero in on needs of team and not be even fazed with comments from people like me,” he concluded.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 01:33:26 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2021, 02:42:10 AM »
this is Terry’s third game in charge and already he’s in for mounting criticism, you people got some balls.

If TT do not win their next game, your will see a "Fire Terry Fenwick Thread".

Compared to what has been launched at other coaches, Fenwick has had a honeymoon on this forum. I don't think a Fire Fenwick thread exists and if that is the case, it is testament to the honeymoon. From what I observe, he entered the job with loads of goodwill. Some coaches had a Fire thread early o'clock.

Third game or not, certain manifestations on the field are undeniable.

One thing I will say doh: during matches coaches don't have the luxury of seeing the field from the view delivered on TV. What is immediately obvious to the viewer may not be immediately obvious to the coach BUT everything that occurs on the field is the coach's responsibility to decipher or influence or anticipate and the coach must acquire a way of seeing the field three dimensionally. But even if she or he misses something during the match, she or he still has video later to have the light bulb go off. How many matches are necessary for that to happen?

International football can't be assessed in the same way as a league. Negative manifestations in two matches ordinarily prompt questions because there are only a handful of matches that determine whether a team swims or sinks. Nothing within the critique of Fenwick's product is atypical. In places like Argentina and Mexico similar comments would be platformed on TV with vigorous argument. In T&T they come through written media mostly.

That stated, I doubt Fenwick is hobbled by not perceiving the field three-dimensionally. He is hobbled by inflexibility. And pay attention to a word Cocorite used: anachronistic.

On Sunday he failed at determining how to be more effective in the final 35 to 45 meters of the field. That lack of effectivity is inseparable from his preferences in other areas of the pitch. That cyah happen and not geh ponged. Three points were for the picking like a ripe mango and we almost left the venue hungry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 03:07:45 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline trini_stallion

• Hero Warrior
  • soca in mih veins, soca in mih blood...
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2021, 03:13:44 AM »
I see Terry saying next rounds he’ll have more top quality players...this eh about top quality players Mr. Fenwick...on paper, we had the quality in that squad to win that game...what was lacking is proper  coaching....straight up...he was out coached. Call a spade a spade...if we make it out this group, I hope the admin have a plan to get a top coach. I like Terry. I prefer him over Lawrence, but we’re still a ways away.
Soca in mih vein, Soca in meh blood
Soca in yuh vein, Soca in blood,
Soca in we vein, Soca in we blood,
It's a heart of love, can't deny soca, cuz its good fuh de soul...
Trinidad and Tobago jump up now!

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2021, 04:58:17 AM »
this is Terry’s third game in charge and already he’s in for mounting criticism, you people got some balls.

If TT do not win their next game, your will see a "Fire Terry Fenwick Thread".
deeks did you know that the two most successful coaches in the pro league is now coaching the national team, and the quality of their coaching ain't even that good. as we all know dereck king and terry fenwick did a lot of damage in the pro league and they are two of the most prosperous that the league ha ever seen, stuart charles who is also another successful pro league coach has also done stints internationally with both the senior and junior teams respectively and didn't do that well, do you get my point?

we need to raise the bar, and we're not going to do it with poor coaching and lack of developmental academies, no way. we must think bigger than this regardless of who's opposed.

when raymond timkee brought in steven hart, jamal and hudson was doing a good job with the team but he realized that we needed better coaching to be able to compete in concacaf.

this is nothing personal, and if we want to go forward we must stand on some toes and people will get their feelings hurt, but this is not about sparing feelings it's about efficiency and progress.

if we so desire to see our own people running our league then let it be people who are gaining first world experience in formidable leagues like carlos edwards, dennis lawrence, kelvin jack, kenwin jones, russell latapy and dwight yorke.

let these guys who went out and coach in foreign leagues who got their feet wet in leagues on a more competitive level come home and coach these teams. not a bunch of ex footballers who did a badge here and a course there but didn't coach no where of great significance, why do we have to cater to small minded people and their feelings at the expense of our young athletes?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2021, 05:11:38 AM »
I see Terry saying next rounds he’ll have more top quality players...this eh about top quality players Mr. Fenwick...on paper, we had the quality in that squad to win that game...what was lacking is proper  coaching....straight up...he was out coached. Call a spade a spade...if we make it out this group, I hope the admin have a plan to get a top coach. I like Terry. I prefer him over Lawrence, but we’re still a ways away.
i heard steven hart on one occasion said when he had back to back games and on the second leg where the team bummed, that the lads needed time to recuperate, and players need at least three days rest before they go into another game, not to mention they were travelling and living out of a suit case. i think as football hounds we all know this, so please cut the coach and the lads some slack. they were playing away to a very good team with players playing on the same level or even better.

look guys i think we're making a mountain of a mole hill. the team still has their destiny in their own hands....that is if you all love the world cup lime light so much that it takes precedence over gaining a philosophy and playing as a unit, then we still in the drivers seat. BTW st kitts played their two easiest games which would explain the six point lead and i'm pretty sure they not beating guyana in june, they might get a draw, but not a win.

i would rather we got into the gold cup and made it to the semi final than to go to the hex and come last again, but in the same breath i would also like to see us both in the final round of eight and the gold cup just for the games and the experience and nothing more.

we have two games left and i think we will be better prepared and more focused on the task ahead. thinking good vibes and wishing the team well will go a long way for morale, the lads don't need the beatdown right now, it will only help to kill their motivation.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 05:31:51 AM by pull stones »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2021, 05:51:29 AM »
i heard steven hart on one occasion said when he had back to back games and on the second leg where the team bummed, that the lads needed time to recuperate, and players need at least three days rest before they go into another game, not to mention they were travelling and living out of a suit case. i think as football hounds we all know this, so please cut the coach and the lads some slack. they were playing away to a very good team with players playing on the same level or even better.

look guys i think we're making a mountain of a mole hill. the team still has their destiny in their own hands....that is if you all love the world cup lime light so much that it takes precedence over gaining a philosophy and playing as a unit, then we still in the drivers seat. BTW st kitts played their two easiest games which would explain the six point lead and i'm pretty sure they not beating guyana in june, they might get a draw, but not a win.

i would rather we got into the gold cup and made it to the semi final than to go to the hex and come last again, but in the same breath i would also like to see us both in the final round of eight and the gold cup just for the games and the experience and nothing more.

we have two games left and i think we will be better prepared and more focused on the task ahead. thinking good vibes and wishing the team well will go a long way for morale, the lads don't need the beatdown right now, it will only help to kill their motivation.

i would rather we got into the gold cup and made it to the semi final than to go to the hex and come last again

Nah Breds !!!! Hex anyday!!!!!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2021, 05:54:18 AM »

If TT makes it to the next round, Hadad will not fire TF.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2021, 07:05:22 AM »
A few months ago, when it was unclear whether we would be participating in WC qualifying, there were players who were out front and center making comments about having a strong desire to play in the WC etc. 

I want to see that desire expressed on the field. There's a bit of disconnect between what was said and what was seen.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 07:53:44 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2021, 07:12:41 AM »
Keith Look Loy made a great point of a playmaker in the middle of the park, bringing the ball from defence  to attack. also like the suggestion of bringing two of Hart's boys for the next game. Akeem Garcia and Rampersad.

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2021, 07:15:03 AM »
Big Players need to step up. Well said Asylumseekers.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2021, 08:05:36 AM »
Another thing. I am wary of scapegoating Telfer. The conditions were not conducive for a Telfer to be successful. That was always going to be the case going into the match, but it could have been rectified on the field by changing players' assignments. See where he found success on the field in a supporting role rather than as the focal point of the attack.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2021, 08:35:36 AM »
anybody ever find a youtube copy of these games?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2021, 09:40:52 AM »

Just located it. Hang tight.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
Another thing. I am wary of scapegoating Telfer. The conditions were not conducive for a Telfer to be successful. That was always going to be the case going into the match, but it could have been rectified on the field by changing players' assignments. See where he found success on the field in a supporting role rather than as the focal point of the attack.
you better be wary, he’s the reason we left PR with a point. in the last three matches he’s been the only consistent bright spark we had. he created a scoring chance vs america, another chance that jovin blew on Thursday in DR and scored one of his own, and created the cross that lead to our only goal on sunday. the lad plays like a Latin born player, all business. God bless him.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2021, 09:42:52 AM »

yippeee great news mate. I’ve been looking forward to this.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2021, 09:44:13 AM »
WATCH: Full match - Puerto Rico vs Trinidad and Tobago.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EMBIQyxlXNU&amp;t=4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EMBIQyxlXNU&amp;t=4s</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2021, 10:10:50 AM »

do you have the guyana game as well?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2021, 10:47:52 AM »
These puerto ricans are damn good players, can anyone name the players by clubs? I couldn’t find it in the thread.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2021, 08:33:24 PM »
Terry Fenwick needs glasses.

Neveal Hackshaw is overweight, slow and is not a left back, Robert Primus is.

Levi Garcia should have been sub.

Duane Muckette should start.

Jabari Mitchell, lord fadda, man need to score and Terry bring on he while Brent Sam, Marcus Joseph and Judah Garcia on de bench.

:rotfl:

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #139 on: March 31, 2021, 01:24:58 AM »
Williams calls for greater pride, passion in T&T football

FORMER T&T defender Brian Williams is calling for greater pride and passion among the national players, following their two 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone Group F qualifiers, against Guyana last Thursday and Puerto Rico on Sunday.

T&T whipped Guyana 3-0 but were held to a 1-1 draw by Puerto Rico.

T&T are second in the five-team group with four points, trailing St Kitts/Nevis who have a maximum of six points.

Rounding off the group are Puerto Rico (one), Guyana and Bahamas (zero apiece). Only the group winners will advance to the Concacaf Zone second round.

“I wasn’t so much impressed with the game (on Sunday) night but, taking into consideration T&T football, I think there is a lot of work to be done still,” Williams said, during an interview on Monday. “I want to see a little more passion (regarding) playing for T&T from some of the guys. When I looked at the team, I want to see more intensity. They play a little too slow.

“I think there are some areas to work on, defensively we look a little too porous, especially balls coming through the spinal column of the defence. I find that was a concern. We need to play a little more collective up front. I think (Ryan) Telfer is sometimes too alone in attack.”

Guyana and Puerto Rico fielded starting line-ups which mainly comprised of players who were not born in the respective countries.

Williams said, “Most of the countries are having players who are playing abroad, who have some sort of family link and can play for the country. We have to now take that into consideration and don’t feel like teams like St Kitts/Nevis and Puerto Rico are weak teams.

“Looking at (Sunday’s) game, our players need to show a little more national pride. I understand the situation generally in T&T football. It’s not for me to say if the boys are not totally motivated but (what) I see lacking is a true patriotism, a drive to play for T&T.”

A bright spot for T&T in their two qualifying matches was the display from Denmark-born goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup.

According to the former Strike Squad right-back, “I was pretty satisfied with the goalkeeper. He’s doing a pretty good job. He’s shown some levels of maturity and professionalism. I think he is one of the players (who) the rest can tap a vibes off of, in terms of the spirit of playing the game.”

However, the former T&T youth team coach was quick to point out, “Regardless of the challenges that we face in our football, I want to see a little more urgency. Our intensity is too low. We have to play a little quicker. We have to show a little more pride in representing our country.

“It needs to be moved by the staff and the administrators, in making these players as comfortable as possible, to want and have the drive to play for T&T. I don’t want to sound knocking (anyone) but we’re looking at what is required to play international football. When we play for our country, we must work hard.”

Coach Terry Fenwick has come under fire from local football pundits and fans after the 7-0 humiliation against the United States on January 31, as well as his heated confrontation against TT Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes during a training session at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on March 17.

Williams noted, “There is so much chat around Fenwick but he’s coaching the national team and we have to try to give (him) the best support.

“Like every coach, their responsibility is in motivating and keeping the team alive as best as possible, also seeking players’ welfare and interest. The coach is a reflection of his team. We want to see players playing for their coach, and who have that love and acceptance from the coach. It’s in his early stages. Let us see how it unfolds.”

PULL QUOTE: “ I don’t want to sound knocking (anyone) but we’re looking at what is required to play international football. When we play for our country, we must work hard.” former T&T defender Brian Williams.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 31, 2021, 01:38:57 AM »
Disappointing but not the end of the world. Saint Kitts will be a toss up
saint kitts could do to us what guyana did to us in 2011 if we're not careful, we had to beat them to get into the semifinal round and only one team adcanced, i think the group was bardbados, bermuda, guyana and TT, and we went to bermuda and loss or draw the game, but my point is that guyana lead the group and when we went to guyana in a must win scenario we blew it.

i can only hope that we remember that experience and and put peddle to the metal and win the next two games, because i have a suspicion that guyana will not do us any favors and by beating st kitts, or even pull off a draw, so we have to go out there and win those games ourselves, we can't afford nothing less. this is like deja vu. these lads better get frikin serious and not play around.

Agreed. Saint kitts also form a big threat as they have lots of individuals who known our football and can exploit it.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #141 on: March 31, 2021, 01:52:52 AM »

Jabari Mitchell, lord fadda, man need to score and Terry bring on he while Brent Sam, Marcus Joseph and Judah Garcia on de bench.

I was wondering who was the man with the rum shop belly in defense ...  :D

Fenwicks selection makes no sense to me and his approach to subs also seem like pure experimentation than  a well devised plan

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 31, 2021, 05:59:23 AM »

I was wondering who was the man with the rum shop belly in defense ...  :D

Fenwicks selection makes no sense to me and his approach to subs also seem like pure experimentation than  a well devised plan
goes to show how much you know. BTW this is the same rum belly boy who saved the day when we was losing to st vincent by creating the two chances for Levi garcia on his debut that brought us back in the game after st vincent took the lead, and that was under the great steven hart’s tenure.

that’s the same rum belly boy who made the USL all star team more than once, and In case you don’t know neval hackshaw is playing out of position, his ideal position is in the midfield playing the same role as hyland just sitting behind the attack, at least that’s where hart played him and he was very effective.

I believe his position changed playing for his USL club where he substituted as a defender, but had you seen the last few games you would see that he helped a great deal in controlling the attack down the left, and his possessions of the ball has stalled many efforts by the opposing team. anyway why I am on about you and your nonsense, what do you know. you’re just a disgruntled hater who believe no one is worthy to coach the great TT but the magnanimous steven magic man hart.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:10:21 AM by pull stones »

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 31, 2021, 10:45:37 AM »
telfer not in the game
Not one player has tried to tread a ball into him either on the carpet or over the heads of the midgets 🤦🏾‍♂️
I find Telfer quite useless for his size and strength. Does not appear to know what to do with the ball or get himself in a position to offer Levi an option in attack

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 31, 2021, 10:49:28 AM »
Hackshaw, Jovein need to get themselves in better shape, Jovein used to be faster and quicker on the dribble than what I have seen in the last two games. At the international level, you should not have that amt of body fat! I think Hacshaw can be a formidable defender if he gets himself together

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 31, 2021, 10:52:30 AM »
So if you live in the US or have access to PEACOCK TV the games are being carried and saved.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 31, 2021, 11:02:29 AM »
telfer not in the game
Not one player has tried to tread a ball into him either on the carpet or over the heads of the midgets 🤦🏾‍♂️
I find Telfer quite useless for his size and strength. Does not appear to know what to do with the ball or get himself in a position to offer Levi an option in attack

The fact is there is nor kind of attacking strategy or shape, so you will get what we have seen over the last two matches.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 31, 2021, 01:39:07 PM »
Mediocre in Mayaguez: Muckette, Wilfredo and T&T’s missing jockey shorts
Sean Powder Tuesday 30 March 2021 Global Football, National Football, Wired 868

I arrived 20 minutes prior to kick off at the Estadio Centroamericano in Mayaguez to a populated parking lot with a surprising stream of fans in red, white and blue.

The Puerto Rican Football Federation president Ivan Rivera stated on 15 March that the game would be played behind closed doors. Apparently for the Boriquen ‘closed to the public’ is as fluid a term as ‘excellence’ for Trinidad and Tobago head coach Terry Fenwick.

I learned that the Puerto Rican Federation provided every football club on the island with two tickets; and, although there was a guest list at the entrance, some Puerto Rican clubs might have studied our 19 November 1989 ticketing process.

The World Cup qualifier was staged at the home of Puerto Rico Sol FC, one of the strongest football programs in Puerto Rico since its founding in 2016. Across the street is Plaza Patos y Copas, a wonderful revenue generator—though I do not know whether for the club or the federation.

Former TTFA president David John-Williams would love the setting.

As the match kicked off on a pitch surrounded by an athletic track, Fenwick spent much of his time in lane one trying to get as close as possible to his players who he shouted orders to constantly.
Puerto Rico head coach Dave Sarachan, on the hand, only emerged from his bench with the occasional tactical adjustment.

The first half ended with both teams still on even terms. Thank Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup for that, as he was lively and commanding—save for one strike that he judged to be wide but which struck his near post.

As the second half got underway, our back four must have felt like I did at the San Juan airport, greeted by an ants’ nest of Covid-19 regulations and tables of individuals in gloves, masks and white disposal suits, awaiting your ‘intake’. It was like a scene from the movie Pandemic.

In the Estadio Centroamericano, Trinidad and Tobago, effectively using four six foot central defenders across their entire backline, were struggling to cope with the nippy Puerto Ricans.

The 17-year-old human highlight reel that is right winger Wilfredo A Rivera Cepeda, aka Wilfredo Rivera, looked particularly impressive in an otherwise mediocre game.

Wilfredo spent his early years at one of the oldest clubs in Puerto Rico, Academia Quintana, and hails from the Quintana neighborhood of San Juan, where boys sweat from early in the morning until after the sun sets. He immigrated to Jacksonville, FL where he eventually joined Orlando FC.

Almost every talented footballer has some ‘barrio football’ in their past and Wilfredo is no different. The sons of the privileged almost never rise to the top in the game.

Fenwick injected some creativity into his team in the second half by swapping Daniel Phillips with Duane Muckette, and the impact was felt on and off the field.

“Ay Dios Mio (oh my God),” said the Puerto Rican fan next to me, “it’s good they did not start ‘Number 10’ because he changed the game. Now we are going to lose…”

Joevin Jones put the visitors ahead within 10 minutes of Muckette’s introduction. But the Trinidad and Tobago players were not efficient with our chances, while their defence always seemed desperate for protection from the Puerto Rico attackers.

We needed better game management. There didn’t appear to be a plan to sit deeper and hit them on the counter with Levi Garcia and Willis Plaza, or for Michel Poon-Angeron to stay home and look after the back four.

The match remained opened and Puerto Rico eventually found an equaliser with an attack that was well constructed but poorly defended.

“Yo soy Boricua pa que tu lo sepas (I am Puerto Rican in case you didn’t know),” sang the home fans, as they pushed their boys to go for the victory.

But 1-1 was as good as it was going to get for the hosts.

I was fortunate to meet and spend some time with Puerto Rico defender Nicolás Javier Cordona and flanker Gerald Jadiel Diaz after the match. They and the supporters felt the result was fair, although they felt they could have taken all three points.

They still view Trinidad and Tobago as a Caribbean powerhouse and considered the result to be an excellent one for the development of Puerto Rican football.

As a true patriot, I played along with their description of our team as a ‘powerhouse’, and did not tell them the emperor might have lost his jockey shorts some time ago.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 01:41:28 PM by royal »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #148 on: March 31, 2021, 05:39:13 PM »
Soca Warriors WC Campaign - A work in progress
By Colin Murray (T&T Guardian).

After the nauseating experiment against the United States went awry where the Soca Warriors were humiliated 7-0, T&T’s football fans locally and abroad looked forward to the start of the opening round of the 2022 FIFA World Cup CONCACAF qualifiers against Guyana in the Dominican Republic followed by an away fixture against Puerto Rico.

Fans were unsure of what to expect especially against a Guyana side that has posed problems in the past for the Soca Warriors. They boasted a Brazilian coach in Márcio Máximo with seven players playing professionally outside of Guyana albeit in the lower leagues of Europe. But all in all, one could sense a feeling of uncertainty of what this Guyanese side was capable of producing.

Nevertheless, fans would have expected nothing but a victory from coach Terry Fenwick’s charges and they rightfully delivered. The Soca Warriors started positively and never allowed their opponents to settle and from early on they looked like, as a friend texted me, “they good for 4 or 5”. The important question is: were the Warriors that good to whip the Guyanese by 3-0 including missing a penalty, or were the Guyanese just hopeless? When one looks back at the game in its entirety, it is a mixture of both.

There were times T&T looked good, especially when Levi Garcia was in full flow as he was menacing on the right flank, but far too much depended on his quite evident individualism. He truly has so much talent that he was able, on occasions, to claw his way out of trouble. Both Garcia and Joevin Jones seemed isolated at times, as when T&T moved forward into attack, the cohesion of the team failed to be on display. Ryan Telfer upfront was like The Lone Ranger and when he made his runs and picked up the ball, he was forced to try and dribble opponents as the expected support from the midfield was way too slow in arriving. Kevin Molino was sorely missed as he would have been the outlet not only for Telfer but for Garcia and Jones.

T&T fans should remain hopeful that when their team settles and finds an identity for itself, they will be able to witness some more flair in the midfield with players pushing forward as a unit; and possibly with the defensive midfielder sitting on top of the defence but with instructions to move forward once in possession.

Admittedly, I was concerned with T&T’s defence. I thought Guyana would score and on one occasion, the post got in the way. Debutant goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup, who looked pretty solid, made a couple of good saves. In Sheldon Bateau and Robert Primus at the heart of the defence, there was every reason for T&T fans to feel comfortable as they are two very capable defenders, but when the Guyanese strung a few passes together, the defence seemed to panic. To call a spade a spade, they did not look as organised as they should be at this level. Should their opponents have had more quality, the Warriors could have easily suffered a goal or two. I know it will take some time for the players to understand each other, but they need to learn fast as I am unsure each player on the field knows their role and how to mesh that into the overall team.

The 3-0 victory was a great start to their campaign and would have given them a much-needed boost of confidence against a Puerto Rican team that, by all accounts, have improved tremendously in the last couple of years. A match of this nature a few years ago would have been a walk in the park but based on their results, it was going to be a tough nut to crack.

El Huracán Azul (The Blue Hurricane) as they are fondly referred to, were at home and knowing they needed a victory to stay alive in the qualifiers, it was imperative the Soca Warriors started the game like they did against the Guyanese or they could have found themselves facing a Category 5 Blue Hurricane that could have been devastating.

Luckily, they instead faced a tropical storm as they put T&T under continuous pressure and again, Frenderup proved his worth as he made critical saves when called upon which ultimately kept the Warriors in the game. I know before the start of the encounter, coach Fenwick spoke about the power and the running ability of this Puerto Rican team, but T&T did not seem to match them with the same intensity that was needed to keep them at bay and indeed, were fortunate to go into the dressing room on level terms.

The Warriors started the second half more positively and tried to keep possession but this young and energetic Puerto Rican team never stopped running and T&T were able to take the lead with their improved second-half display leaving Puerto Rico behind and chasing their fading world cup dreams. As mentioned, this Puerto Rican team is talented and in young, 17-year-old Wilfredo Rivera, who plays for Orlando City, is a piece of dynamite and gave Neveal Hackshaw a night to remember with their equaliser being well-taken in the end.

The Soca Warriors came away with a point and qualifying is still very much on their own feet but doesn’t be surprised if this Puerto Rican team in the next few years emulates Panama as their football grows in stature to challenge all of the CONCACAF’s big names.

Next up, the Soca Warriors should take care of the Bahamas but the big game (imagine than?) is against St Kitts and Nevis and nothing but a victory would see T&T into the next round. I understand coach Fenwick is seeking to strengthen his squad which is all well and good however, his team must place emphasis on ensuring his players understand their roles and the system in which they are brought in to play. I have seen on so many occasions where players come into a squad but they just don't fit into the system and things go haywire.

Former coach Leo Beenhakker was a master of bringing players into a team to fit into a role that strengthened his squad. As such, one can only hope that the same thing unfolds here and that the team’s attack is filled with unity and flair while being defensively well-organised and tough to break down. That I am sure is all the fans are asking for as I am totally confident the nation is 100% behind the Soca Warriors on the road to Qatar 2022. But no one can disagree that there is still lots of work to be done.

Editor’s note:

The views expressed in this column are solely those of the author and do not reflect the views of any organisation of which he is a stakeholder.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 01, 2021, 07:19:20 AM »
Williams calls for greater pride, passion in T&T football

FORMER T&T defender Brian Williams is calling for greater pride and passion among the national players, following their two 2022 FIFA World Cup Concacaf Zone Group F qualifiers, against Guyana last Thursday and Puerto Rico on Sunday.

T&T whipped Guyana 3-0 but were held to a 1-1 draw by Puerto Rico.

T&T are second in the five-team group with four points, trailing St Kitts/Nevis who have a maximum of six points.

Rounding off the group are Puerto Rico (one), Guyana and Bahamas (zero apiece). Only the group winners will advance to the Concacaf Zone second round.

“I wasn’t so much impressed with the game (on Sunday) night but, taking into consideration T&T football, I think there is a lot of work to be done still,” Williams said, during an interview on Monday. “I want to see a little more passion (regarding) playing for T&T from some of the guys. When I looked at the team, I want to see more intensity. They play a little too slow.

“I think there are some areas to work on, defensively we look a little too porous, especially balls coming through the spinal column of the defence. I find that was a concern. We need to play a little more collective up front. I think (Ryan) Telfer is sometimes too alone in attack.”

Guyana and Puerto Rico fielded starting line-ups which mainly comprised of players who were not born in the respective countries.

Williams said, “Most of the countries are having players who are playing abroad, who have some sort of family link and can play for the country. We have to now take that into consideration and don’t feel like teams like St Kitts/Nevis and Puerto Rico are weak teams.

“Looking at (Sunday’s) game, our players need to show a little more national pride. I understand the situation generally in T&T football. It’s not for me to say if the boys are not totally motivated but (what) I see lacking is a true patriotism, a drive to play for T&T.”

A bright spot for T&T in their two qualifying matches was the display from Denmark-born goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup.

According to the former Strike Squad right-back, “I was pretty satisfied with the goalkeeper. He’s doing a pretty good job. He’s shown some levels of maturity and professionalism. I think he is one of the players (who) the rest can tap a vibes off of, in terms of the spirit of playing the game.”

However, the former T&T youth team coach was quick to point out, “Regardless of the challenges that we face in our football, I want to see a little more urgency. Our intensity is too low. We have to play a little quicker. We have to show a little more pride in representing our country.

“It needs to be moved by the staff and the administrators, in making these players as comfortable as possible, to want and have the drive to play for T&T. I don’t want to sound knocking (anyone) but we’re looking at what is required to play international football. When we play for our country, we must work hard.”

Coach Terry Fenwick has come under fire from local football pundits and fans after the 7-0 humiliation against the United States on January 31, as well as his heated confrontation against TT Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes during a training session at the Ato Boldon Stadium, Couva on March 17.

Williams noted, “There is so much chat around Fenwick but he’s coaching the national team and we have to try to give (him) the best support.

“Like every coach, their responsibility is in motivating and keeping the team alive as best as possible, also seeking players’ welfare and interest. The coach is a reflection of his team. We want to see players playing for their coach, and who have that love and acceptance from the coach. It’s in his early stages. Let us see how it unfolds.”

PULL QUOTE: “ I don’t want to sound knocking (anyone) but we’re looking at what is required to play international football. When we play for our country, we must work hard.” former T&T defender Brian Williams.

While I understands Brian's frustration,  I disagree that the players are not passionate and lack pride. After the 7-0 beating, you think these players came with a laisser-faire mind set to play these games. I think they were tired with a dose of anxiety. They wanted to win the game real bad. I think mental fatigue set in. So this is something that they need to help them with.  Go ahead and blame them for not playing the way we want them to play. But don't say they lack pride and passion.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 10:58:01 PM by Deeks »

1]; } ?>