March 28, 2024, 02:01:56 AM

Author Topic: Thread for T&T vs Puerto Rico Game (28-Mar-2021)  (Read 14695 times)

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for T&T vs Puerto Rico Game (28-Mar-2021)
« Reply #150 on: April 01, 2021, 07:42:45 AM »
Well Said Deeks and Colin. As latapy said about his Bajan team don't attack the players commitment and Pride.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: April 01, 2021, 10:56:03 AM »
These trini talking heads love to fool themselves into thinking we have a winning team with world class players and all we need is a top notch coach to complete the magic, when nothing could be farther from the truth. i know it’s a bitter pill to swallow but let’s face the truth and be honest here, we will always be way down in the pecking order in concacaf simply because we are a neglectful bunch who suffers from delusions of grandeur.

I hate to repeat myself over and over again, but if you’re not willing to spend on developmental schools all over the nation, top level coaching courses, develop a proper league which includes funding community stadiums and spending tons of money on promoting the league and compensating players and making the game lucrative, then we wasting time and will continue to be the boo boys of concacaf.

This is what people like colin Murray fazeer Muhammad and lasana liburd should be writing about, not the coaches performance or the teams weakness, but football being properly administrated and developed in such a way that it would be a totally justified to expect Trinidad and Tobago to beat teams like PR, jamaica, haiti, El Salvador and honduras and nothing less will suffice, but until then, we need to keep quiet because we didn’t earn that right as of yet, and we have plenty work to do before we get there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 11:45:07 AM by pull stones »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: April 01, 2021, 11:58:14 AM »
These trini talking heads love to fool themselves into thinking we have a winning team with world class players and all we need is a top notch coach to complete the magic, when nothing could be farther from the truth. i know it’s a bitter pill to swallow but let’s face the truth and be honest here, we will always be way down in the pecking order in concacaf simply because we are a neglectful bunch who suffers from delusions of grandeur.

I hate to repeat myself over and over again, but if you’re not willing to spend on developmental schools all over the nation, top level coaching courses, develop a proper league which includes funding community stadiums and spending tons of money on promoting the league and compensating players and making the game lucrative, then we wasting time and will continue to be the boo boys of concacaf.

This is what people like colin Murray fazeer Muhammad and lasana liburd should be writing about, not the coaches performance or the teams weakness, but football being properly administrated and developed in such a way that it would be a totally justified to expect Trinidad and Tobago to beat teams like PR, jamaica, haiti, El Salvador and honduras and nothing less will suffice, but until then, we need to keep quiet because we didn’t earn that right as of yet, and we have plenty work to do before we get there.

Amen! We don't have a league. We don't have players in top leagues around the world. We don't have academies that train our youngsters. We played few International friendlies in the last four years. Our best player did not play - injured. But somehow, we must win games. 
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: April 01, 2021, 12:00:37 PM »

The flip side to that is that men watching their favourite EPL and La Liga team and expecting these players to produce performances resembling that and that a good coach would produce such

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: April 01, 2021, 02:21:43 PM »
Cosign to the coaching - we have 4 times the population of Iceland and look where they end up with serious investment in their youth

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: April 01, 2021, 07:52:39 PM »

The flip side to that is that men watching their favourite EPL and La Liga team and expecting these players to produce performances resembling that and that a good coach would produce such
in the fire terry fenwick thread i echoed the very same sentiments.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #156 on: April 01, 2021, 08:39:21 PM »
Look Loy: Thank God for Frenderup; T&T need multiple improvements—plus ‘Froggy’ and Rampersad.
Wired868.com.

“[…] Is the selection [of defenders] based on a physical prototype preferred by coach Terry Fenwick—tall, big and strong? I ask because for the third match now we saw Neveal Hackshaw, who is known as a defensive midfielder and now plays central defence for his club, appearing as the left back.

“Every position has associated physical, technical, psychological, tactical characteristics, which are the basis of effective performance in that position. Our wing-backs, particularly Hackshaw, do not meet the basic wing-back characteristics.

“But he doesn’t select himself; this is on the coach…”

The following commentary on Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Puerto Rico was submitted to Wired868 by former Concacaf technical study group member and Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) technical committee chairman Keith Look Loy:

After getting by a poor Guyana outfit with a mediocre performance, we all hoped for a win with a better display against unheralded Puerto Rico today.

I was left distinctly unimpressed by what was, in fact, a worse display; one in which—but for the heroics of goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup—we were very lucky to have a draw and a share of the points.

Frankly, with due respect to Puerto Rico, I fully expected we would win against a country with no footballing pedigree, which had hired its coach only days earlier, and lost its opening qualifier to St Kitts and Nevis. Not so in the event.

We started slowly and poorly while Puerto Rico demonstrated readiness for the battle with two attacks inside the first minute. They never let up after that. Indeed, the determination to have a result was demonstrated by their early appearance from the tunnel after the half-time break.

The Puerto Rico players were already in their battle stations while my team strolled out to resume battle, without the look of urgency expected from a team realistically chasing a World Cup berth.

The highlight of our performance was the goalkeeping of Frenderup. Surely the number one jersey is his to lose now. He was outstanding. Not much more could be placed in the positive column. Having seen two matches now, my concerns are, briefly:

(Ball possession)

Our ball retention and rotation lacks energy and is far too lethargic. We make too many unforced errors through sloppy passing—often in dangerous areas too. We seem uncertain how to move the ball from the back, through the lines, and into the opposing penalty area.

(Defence)

Is the selection based on a physical prototype preferred by coach Terry Fenwick—tall, big and strong? I ask because for the third match now we saw Neveal Hackshaw, who is known as a defensive midfielder and now plays central defence for his club, appearing as the left back.

Every position has associated physical, technical, psychological, tactical characteristics, which are the basis of effective performance in that position. Our wing-backs, particularly Hackshaw, do not meet the basic wing-back characteristics. But he doesn’t select himself; this is on the coach.

As ever, our defence is far too porous, and lacks a marshal; an organiser. We continue to be plagued by the twin issues of: a) lapses in concentration, as evidenced in poor passing out of defence, and loose marking (the Puerto Rican scorer was surrounded by four defenders); and b) lack of cover, particularly for Hacksaw (as in the Guyana match), who was tormented by 17-year-old Wilfredo Rivera all match long.

I don’t know where the team wants to regain possession and how. Pressing is inconsistent and not effective enough.

(Attack)

Compared to the Guyana match, the wing-backs were more involved in the attack. But because they are not natural wingbacks, they are very limited in their offensive actions.

They do not make plays or combine with team mates in the attacking third, or in and around the opposing penalty area. They do not enter crosses. I do not have the match statistics but I am sure they will support my analysis.

The team lacks creativity in midfield. Only Duane Muckette has the look of a natural playmaker and his play is far too laid-back. He needs to demand more of himself, he needs to get on the ball more and play progressive football (as opposed to little back and lateral passes), something which I discussed with him during the 2020 USL season.

An important aspect of effective attacking play is forward running out of midfield, which is virtually nonexistent at the moment.

Our shooting is generally very poor. Frankly, Levi Garcia’s efforts on goal are unprofessional for a forward in an elite European league

We lack a genuine centre-forward, of which there are different types, but Ryan Telfer is not mobile enough, disappears from the match and is not a predator.

(Match management)

Fenwick did not manage the match properly. He never sought any tactical adjustment to assist Hackshaw in handling Rivera. After a dismal first half, Muckette correctly entered; but Michel Poon-Angeron, not Daniel Phillips, should have been substituted.

Jabari Mitchell entered to replace the injured Joevin Jones and proceeded to do nothing. Why wasn’t the dangerous Judah Garcia used—as he was to good effect against Guyana?

The truth is that senior players like Jones and Levi Garcia not doing enough to show their level at all. Compare their effort to that of Rivera.

So now we are looking up the table at St Kitts and Nevis, who beat Puerto Rico and Bahamas, and need only to defeat Guyana to entrench themselves in the driver’s seat for the last match of the group.

Still, we have two months to improve the team via recruitment. Whatever Fenwick does, I suggest he talk to his assistant coach, Derek King, about bringing in two of my club FC Santa Rosa’s former players, now with Halifax Wanderers of the Canadian Premier League (CPL).

Those are 2020 league top scorer Akeem ‘Froggy’ Garcia and club captain and midfielder Andre Rampersad. Accuse me of favouritism if you will, but I cannot understand why Telfer (also CPL) is in the team while Garcia is not. (Derek was assistant coach to Stephen Hart at Halifax in 2019.)

So we look towards June. Two months. Let’s see what transpires then.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: April 01, 2021, 10:40:21 PM »
Cosign to the coaching - we have 4 times the population of Iceland and look where they end up with serious investment in their youth

Quite true. The Icelandic think and speak with one voice. They don't have issues of different groups pulling and tugging. Ethnic issues. North, South, Central, Tobago, EW corridor.  I am sure the Icelandic business community with the govt fund these developmental programs without thinking which group it will benefit. What do we do in TT?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: April 03, 2021, 12:08:37 PM »
Ah even more pissed. One of the things that irked me about this match is that we failed to test the keeper repeatedly ... I elaborated on why privately. Well, guess what! He just called quits on his playing career.

Great send off.

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: April 03, 2021, 01:14:30 PM »
Ah even more pissed. One of the things that irked me about this match is that we failed to test the keeper repeatedly ... I elaborated on why privately. Well, guess what! He just called quits on his playing career.

Great send off.

He retired? Don't know if it was just me but with all due respect, that keeper seemed to be a bit heavy but we had him looking like Buffon.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: April 03, 2021, 01:39:08 PM »

Great send off.

He retired? Don't know if it was just me but with all due respect, that keeper seemed to be a bit heavy but we had him looking like Buffon.

Yeah, he retired. Who retires at this juncture during a WC campaign? Everything you said.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: April 03, 2021, 07:07:54 PM »
These puerto ricans are damn good players, can anyone name the players by clubs? I couldn’t find it in the thread.
At least one plays for Ascension College in the NCAA. shameful.
why, does he have one eye and a clog foot? The fact that he’s playing on a collegiate level makes him less effective and dangerous? some times I wonder how you people assess football. BTW germany just loss to a minnow team, and we had no right to draw with mexico some years ago, at least on paper. we also had no right to beat the United States with a B team in a must win game, and the list could go on until tomorrow. the reality is that football on any given day could yield surprises. that’s football for you and regardless of who’s playing or not.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:00:58 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: April 03, 2021, 07:55:54 PM »
I’m not surprised at that article after all just look who’s the publisher, the man who gets a hard on for bad publicity. as for this look loy man, I’m sure he was the one in WW ears all along giving him the awful advice steering him away from CAS to the high courts acting like a shirt jack wearing union boss in the process crying out about oppression on the part fifa.

What a childish assertion to place blame on one person while giving all the credit to another individual, and this from a man who owns a football team. I cringe every time I read a trini newspaper just to see the retardation of our citizen that literally takes foolish banter that you hear in a rum shop and bring it into the public domain.

This rubbish look loy is pushing belongs in a corner pub and no where else. to literally blame the coach for everything that transpired in that PR game is just ludicrous. here we have look loy playing side line coach saying to us what should have been done, and without having a conversation with terry is just wank.

he wasn’t there so he didn’t actually know what the circumstances were with any of the players and why they were subbed off or why they weren’t used, yet he takes the liberty to talk out of turn, and I’m pretty sure it’s because he never liked terry in the first place and wanted a coach of his own liking,maybe that’s why he made a big stink with wallace when he offered fenwick the job without his input.

and to compound on the issue to make fenderup a hero when he was only doing what he’s paid to do, it’s not like he saved a penalty for christ sake, and it’s funny that neval hackshaw was no where near that goal when it scored, in fact it was bateau and primus who had the player covered and when you look closely at that goal it was a real spirit goal in nature, just a pure hard luck goal.

Then in the end he makes suggestions to players he once coached while the insinuation of telfer into the conversation which was nothing short of undermining. I guess this is why I will never stop bashing these local trinis, they always present themselves from a position of ulterior motives never seeking the genuine interest of the country, and is plenty willing to sink the ship if they can’t have a say or control it all together even though they have nothing of value to offer. these people scare me shitless with their toxicity.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:06:47 PM by pull stones »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: April 03, 2021, 08:05:02 PM »
Plaza didn't play too bad. Bring the whole india team over lewwe have a look! cuz them unfit and not match-fit fellaz not really looking like they will take us to the next round.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: April 03, 2021, 08:09:19 PM »
Plaza didn't play too bad. Bring the whole india team over lewwe have a look! cuz them unfit and not match-fit fellaz not really looking like they will take us to the next round.
what are you actually saying to me sir? I don’t quite follow. and if it’s nonsensical then please spare me the anguish.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: April 03, 2021, 08:24:59 PM »
what are you actually saying to me sir? I don’t quite follow. and if it’s nonsensical then please spare me the anguish.

somebody whistle? or you gettin tie up and think every post on here directed at you? you doesn't have to have an opinion on every single one you know.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2021, 12:30:45 AM »

somebody whistle? or you gettin tie up and think every post on here directed at you? you doesn't have to have an opinion on every single one you know.
excuse me sir, i had no problem with your comment, in fact it was you who replied to me citing some varsity athlete playing for PR, and as i can recall it was you who came looking for me and not the other way around.

i would suggest if you do have a problem with me contributing to as many post as i like, to take it up with the moderators. maybe they could give me a quota on how many words i'm allowed to type per day if that would make you any happier, but from what i could remember the catch phrase on the forum heading went like this "talk yuh talk", and i'm doing just that....though very respectfully and without malice i might add.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:05:12 AM by pull stones »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2021, 04:14:22 AM »

Heck, outsource de Pro League. Ship all the unemployed and unpaid to India and being dem back in June. Might also be a faster route to vaccination.  ::)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2021, 10:00:01 AM »

Plaza wasn't match fit. He eh playing no ball, outside of training with Rangers.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
How was Sidney Rivera allowed to play for Puerto Rico?
« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2021, 02:15:14 PM »
Rivera was born in the United States to a Colombian father and Cape Verdean mother. After a stint with Puerto Rico FC, he gained the option to represent the Puerto Rico national football team.[14] He made his debut for Puerto Rico on 24 March 2019 in a CONCACAF Nations League qualifier against Grenada, as a 58th-minute substitute for Héctor Ramos.[15]

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How was Sidney Rivera allowed to play for Puerto Rico?
« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2021, 02:24:45 PM »
Probably the same way I could live in Anguilla for 2 years and be eligible for the national team, whilst some people (previously, I think it was changed) born on the island would be inelligible.

Puerto Rico is the United states, so I imagine theoretically any American would qualify? This is where FIFA usually insists they were resident in the territory for 5 years, but it can be substantially lower.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: How was Sidney Rivera allowed to play for Puerto Rico?
« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2021, 03:39:10 PM »
Rivera was born in the United States to a Colombian father and Cape Verdean mother. After a stint with Puerto Rico FC, he gained the option to represent the Puerto Rico national football team.[14] He made his debut for Puerto Rico on 24 March 2019 in a CONCACAF Nations League qualifier against Grenada, as a 58th-minute substitute for Héctor Ramos.[15]

To be eligible to apply for a Puerto Rican citizenship certificate, you must either:
  • Have been born in Puerto Rico
  • Have U.S. citizenship and at least one parent who was born in Puerto Rico
  • Have U.S. citizenship and have resided in Puerto Rico for at least one year before applying
  • Have been declared a citizen of Puerto Rico by a competent court of law
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:13:18 PM by Tallman »

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2021, 08:28:15 PM »
What are the fifa eligibility rules. I think it is more than one year.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2021, 10:48:40 PM »

Parent, grandparent, or 5 years, but Puerto Rico is part of the US so it gets murky. The home nations (UK) for example have a gentleman's agreement predating FIFA rules

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 05, 2021, 07:31:45 AM »

Parent, grandparent, or 5 years, but Puerto Rico is part of the US so it gets murky. The home nations (UK) for example have a gentleman's agreement predating FIFA rules

...associations sharing a common nationality may make an agreement under which item d) of par. 1 of this article is deleted completely or amended to specify a longer time limit. Such agreements shall be lodged with and approved by the Council.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #175 on: April 06, 2021, 06:17:12 PM »
Mediocre in Mayaguez: Muckette, Wilfredo and T&T’s missing jockey shorts
By Sean Powder (Wired868).

I arrived 20 minutes prior to kick off at the Estadio Centroamericano in Mayaguez to a populated parking lot with a surprising stream of fans in red, white and blue.

The Puerto Rican Football Federation president Ivan Rivera stated on 15 March that the game would be played behind closed doors. Apparently for the Boriquen ‘closed to the public’ is as fluid a term as ‘excellence’ for Trinidad and Tobago head coach Terry Fenwick.

I learned that the Puerto Rican Federation provided every football club on the island with two tickets; and, although there was a guest list at the entrance, some Puerto Rican clubs might have studied our 19 November 1989 ticketing process.

The World Cup qualifier was staged at the home of Puerto Rico Sol FC, one of the strongest football programs in Puerto Rico since its founding in 2016. Across the street is Plaza Patos y Copas, a wonderful revenue generator—though I do not know whether for the club or the federation.

Former TTFA president David John-Williams would love the setting.

As the match kicked off on a pitch surrounded by an athletic track, Fenwick spent much of his time in lane one trying to get as close as possible to his players who he shouted orders to constantly.

Puerto Rico head coach Dave Sarachan, on the hand, only emerged from his bench with the occasional tactical adjustment.

The first half ended with both teams still on even terms. Thank Trinidad and Tobago goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup for that, as he was lively and commanding—save for one strike that he judged to be wide but which struck his near post.

As the second half got underway, our back four must have felt like I did at the San Juan airport, greeted by an ants’ nest of Covid-19 regulations and tables of individuals in gloves, masks and white disposal suits, awaiting your ‘intake’. It was like a scene from the movie Pandemic.

In the Estadio Centroamericano, Trinidad and Tobago, effectively using four six foot central defenders across their entire backline, were struggling to cope with the nippy Puerto Ricans.

The 17-year-old human highlight reel that is right winger Wilfredo A Rivera Cepeda, aka Wilfredo Rivera, looked particularly impressive in an otherwise mediocre game.

Wilfredo spent his early years at one of the oldest clubs in Puerto Rico, Academia Quintana, and hails from the Quintana neighborhood of San Juan, where boys sweat from early in the morning until after the sun sets. He immigrated to Jacksonville, FL where he eventually joined Orlando FC.

Almost every talented footballer has some ‘barrio football’ in their past and Wilfredo is no different. The sons of the privileged almost never rise to the top in the game.

Fenwick injected some creativity into his team in the second half by swapping Daniel Phillips with Duane Muckette, and the impact was felt on and off the field.

“Ay Dios Mio (oh my God),” said the Puerto Rican fan next to me, “it’s good they did not start ‘Number 10’ because he changed the game. Now we are going to lose…”

Joevin Jones put the visitors ahead within 10 minutes of Muckette’s introduction. But the Trinidad and Tobago players were not efficient with our chances, while their defence always seemed desperate for protection from the Puerto Rico attackers.

We needed better game management. There didn’t appear to be a plan to sit deeper and hit them on the counter with Levi Garcia and Willis Plaza, or for Michel Poon-Angeron to stay home and look after the back four.

The match remained opened and Puerto Rico eventually found an equaliser with an attack that was well constructed but poorly defended.

“Yo soy Boricua pa que tu lo sepas (I am Puerto Rican in case you didn’t know),” sang the home fans, as they pushed their boys to go for the victory.

But 1-1 was as good as it was going to get for the hosts.

I was fortunate to meet and spend some time with Puerto Rico defender Nicolás Javier Cordona and flanker Gerald Jadiel Diaz after the match. They and the supporters felt the result was fair, although they felt they could have taken all three points.

They still view Trinidad and Tobago as a Caribbean powerhouse and considered the result to be an excellent one for the development of Puerto Rican football.

As a true patriot, I played along with their description of our team as a ‘powerhouse’, and did not tell them the emperor might have lost his jockey shorts some time ago.

On now to 5 June in the Bahamas, where we need a decisive, high-scoring victory to set up a showdown against St Kitts and Nevis in Port of Spain on 8 June.

I hope the Government of the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago can resolve international access to the country by then, or we will likely be back in the new home of the Caribbean Football Union (CFU): the Dominican Republic.

I am not holding my breath for the GORTT, after observing epidemiologist Dr Avery Hinds arriving at conclusions without data and Attorney General Faris Al-Rawi facilitating arm-wrestling without a mask.

Maybe our attorney general heard Fenwick’s constant calls to his players to get ‘closer, closer… closerrrrrrr!’

RELATED NEWS

Martin: T&T had improved possession, but insufficient penetration and indisciplined defence.
By Hayden Martin (Wired868).

“[…] Converting the possession to scoring opportunities needs to be improved. At the moment, it appears that all is left up to Levi Garcia to either come inside and shoot or play low balls to the top of the box.

“Ryan Telfer needs to move into passing lanes and make himself a target for passes from the midfielders. He is slow to move and needs to work harder at losing his marker and making himself available…”

The following tactical analysis on Trinidad and Tobago’s 1-1 World Cup qualifying draw with Puerto Rico on 28 March 2021 was submitted by Fatima College programme director and ex-St Mary’s College head coach Hayden Martin, who holds a KNVB level one coaching instructors license:

Trinidad and Tobago dropped a vital point in their second World Cup qualifier against Puerto Rico, as they found themselves facing an entirely different proposition against a diminutive but skilful opponent who made their intentions known from the very start.

There were two major problems in the first half. Despite keeping possession, although mainly outside of the dangerous areas, T&T struggled to make inroads into the Puerto Rican defence. The penetration was just insufficient.

The fact that it took 35 minutes for Puerto Rico goalkeeper Codi Laurendi to make his first save, speaks volumes.

The good news is however that the approach of T&T to the game was in stark contrast to the game against Guyana. T&T attempted to play more of a passing game as compared to the missiles that were launched to the back of the defence in their opening qualifier.

The issue is what comes at the end of these spells of possession, which is still unclear. That final pass seems elusive.

The strategy of releasing Levi Garcia down the right flank as an inverted winger, would soon become predictable. In fact in the first half he was not given the space and time to get back unto his left foot to shoot or even pass and be a real threat. This appears to be the main focus of T&T’s attack.

Defensively, T&T struggled to cope with the deft touch and movement of the Puerto Rico players. The wide players on the right side proved a hand-full time and time again, especially the overlapping wing back, Darren Ríos.

Goalkeeper Nicklas Frenderup had to do more in the first 30 minutes than he did in the entire game against Guyana. Such was the difference in opponents.

Trinidad and Tobago defended in midfield as a first station. The runs off the ball and the first touch of the Puerto Ricans, enabled them to play out of trouble frequently and get the ball into dangerous areas.

T&T were asked to defend around the 18-yard box frequently and at times seemed to be at sixes and sevens, lacking the required defensive organisation. Frenderup had to make two fine saves to keep the scoreline goalless, which frankly was flattering to T&T at the interval.

The introduction of Duane Muckette for Daniel Phillips at the half, brought a much needed boost to the T&T attack. He was extremely mobile in midfield, passing and moving.

He executed a variety of passes, played into the feet of players ahead of him, and opted to switch play from time to time. This allowed Trinidad and Tobago to keep possession deep in the Puerto Rico half for relatively long periods of time.

Puerto Rico were pinned back in their own half with only sporadic attacks. The only problem was that the score remained 0:0.

Midway in the half, the breakthrough came. After a decent spell of possession, Khaleem Hyland released Ryan Telfer, who had drifted wide and found space to deliver a cross into the mid-goal area. Garcia rose to nod down to Joevin Jones who shot the ball into the net.

Jones could have put T&T further ahead, running onto a low cross from Garcia, but he shot wide. Despite going behind, Puerto Rico kept on playing, kept possession and prodded for that opening that would bring them level.

T&T were unlucky not to have gone further ahead, as Garcia struck the upright directly from a right side corner. Another opportunity to extend the lead went a begging as Jabari Mitchell failed to take the chance falling to him.

Instead, T&T paid the price as Puerto Rico found the equaliser they were seeking.

After switching the play to the advancing left back, Raúl Gonzáles III, on the far side, Roberto Rivera, who had been brought on as a substitute, contorted himself to make contact with Gonzáles’ cross.

The game almost became end to end in the remaining period, as both teams looked to grab the winning item. T&T looked the more likely of the two teams to do so. In the end, the score remained unchanged as both teams could only salvage a solitary point from the encounter.

The performance of the T&T team is encouraging. The build-up play in their own half is good. They displayed the ability to circulate the ball within lines and between lines.

Unlike the previous game they were able to get the ball successfully into the opponents’ half—Michel Poon-Angeron being instrumental in this respect. The passing lane at the side of the field could be utilised a bit more, but this is unlikely as the T&T wingers stay wide in attack.

In the opponents’ half, possession again is well maintained, especially with the introduction of Muckette.

The coupling of Phillips and Hyland should be reconsidered since, with Phillips playing slightly more advanced than Hyland, he ought to be more involved in attacking play, and be available to receiving knock backs from Telfer and even running beyond him into the box to receive passes.

He did not show this in the game and was substituted at the half.

Converting the possession to scoring opportunities needs to be improved. At the moment, it appears that all is left up to Garcia to either come inside and shoot or play low balls to the top of the box.

Telfer needs to move into passing lanes and make himself a target for passes from the midfielders. He is slow to move and needs to work harder at losing his marker and making himself available. He doesn’t seem to have the touch required though.

More crosses could be played in from the side of the field. Jones shows little interest in going down the side of the box and crossing, while the wing backs seem to be uninterested in exploiting the space at the side of the field. This could bring another dimension to the T&T attack.

Central attacks are sparse. It might be beneficial if some combination plays through the centre are implemented. Forward runs by the midfielders into the box would also be beneficial. There is an urgent need to create scoring opportunities from all that possession enjoyed.

Defensively, T&T seemed to have abandoned the high press. It didn’t work against Guyana, but it remains a worthwhile defensive tactic nonetheless.

Their principal defensive tactic appears to be defending on line two. The idea is there, but the organisation needs to be more consistent against stronger teams. The attempts to close the ball down is good, although sometimes the discipline is lacking—with defenders easily beaten or committing fouls.

The problem with the organisation may have its origin in the transition. The wide players do not complete their recovery runs, especially on the weak side, and so the defensive chain is incomplete.

This is also reflected when T&T have to defend the penalty area. The first line always seem incomplete, so organised defending is difficult. This also affects our ability to defend crosses—an example being Puerto Rico’s headed goal, despite T&T’s existing height advantage.

All isn’t lost however; the shortcomings can be overcome through appropriate practice. There is sufficient time before the next game and the virtual group decider against St Kitts and Nevis to rectify them.

Editor’s Note: Hayden Martin was a consultant to the TTFA for the recruitment of Women’s National Senior Team head coach in 2021.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 06:19:53 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 06, 2021, 08:28:34 PM »
Idiot article especially by sean powder. his words were filled with dissatisfaction and acrimony, it’s almost like he’s carrying a torch for terry fenwick. it’s funny how trinis were silent when fatso david john and his lanky friend Dennis was mangling football, yet tied tongue andre and lasana his mates in the media was slow off their blocks in terms of criticism, but their xenophobia is glaringly obvious where even before terry took the field for game one mounds of criticism were already being heaped on him. it is quite obvious that the media in that country is certainly not independent and objective by any means.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 07, 2021, 10:21:03 PM »
Idiot article especially by sean powder. his words were filled with dissatisfaction and acrimony, it’s almost like he’s carrying a torch for terry fenwick. it’s funny how trinis were silent when fatso david john and his lanky friend Dennis was mangling football, yet tied tongue andre and lasana his mates in the media was slow off their blocks in terms of criticism, but their xenophobia is glaringly obvious where even before terry took the field for game one mounds of criticism were already being heaped on him. it is quite obvious that the media in that country is certainly not independent and objective by any means.

Which article are you referring to as idiotic ? Hayden Martin's ?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 04, 2021, 06:44:32 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/EMBIQyxlXNU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/EMBIQyxlXNU</a>
« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 07:04:02 PM by kounty »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2021, 02:01:17 PM »
Former national defender Ansil Elcock reviews Trinidad and Tobago's 1-1 draw with Puerto Rico.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JikFfK_ZQgU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JikFfK_ZQgU</a>

1]; } ?>