March 28, 2024, 06:19:17 AM

Author Topic: Islands Open Cup Thread  (Read 1930 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Islands Open Cup Thread
« on: August 26, 2020, 06:57:32 AM »
Gally excited to team up alongside Carlos Edwards for Islands Open Cup in 2021
By Islands Cup Media

Iconic former Trinidad and Tobago head coach and player Everald “Gally” Cummings says he is excited about his appointment as head coach of the TnT Soca Rivals, the Trinidad and Tobago franchise club for the inaugural Islands Open Cup (ISCO) tournament carded to take place in the Caribbean in the summer of 2021.

Cummings has been named the head coach with former T&T World Cup midfielder Carlos Edwards carded to take up a coach/player role alongside Ron La Forest as Assistant Coach.

The slated summer feature will see a professional tournament inclusive of recently retired legend Marquee players from across the globe, as well young Pan-Caribbean/Latin American talent, all participating in the ten (10) franchises as follows: Brazil Samba Warriors FC, Barbados Challengers FC, SC Colombia Tapirs, FC Combined Islands, AS Espanola Manics, AS Guyana Oilers, Jamaica Ruffnecks FC, Suriname Gladiators FC, TnT Soca Rivals FC and the French Connection FC.

“This is a very good position for me which requires a lot of football experience, knowledge and the capabilities to succeed and someone of good character,” Cumming said.

“I would like to commend the organizers for taking this initiative to stage such a tournament and additionally, when other people seem to pass you by,  they went back and looked at what we were able to achieve in the 1989 campaign and saw the development of the national team in 1987 before the Strike Squad took off. In two years time we were able to sell out all venues and bring people back to the game again,” he added.

“I think this tournament will revamp the interest in football in the region again because we have a lot of players and coaches coming from outside to mingle with our guys here and enhance the quality of the teams and the football in the tournament. We will be unearthing talent also during this tournament which is important for our region,” Cummings continued.

“I am not surprised at the fact  that in CONCACAF, Mexico, Costa Rica, USA and other countries have dominated and from what I am seeing they will continue to do so because they all have good youth programmes with continuity from one level to the next. This is why we see so many youth players representing their countries senior teams and teams at all levels. This tournament will allow more youngsters the opportunity to display their talent and skill,” he said.

Sol Campbell, Carlos Valderamma and Marco Simone are among some of the names that have endorsed the tournament and are expected to be involved.

“This made me very happy because with all these popular names of persons who have contributed at a high level internationally coming to the region especially at this time. I feel elated to be part of it and I know the other coaches and players from other parts of the world will be keen to come to the Caribbean to be part of this event,” Cummings stated.

“To have Carlos Edwards as part of the staff for the TnT Soca Rivals will be a blessing because Carlos will be helping with playing and coaching of the Trinidad and Tobago franchise. Also we will have people like Ron La Forest who will be an assistant coach and my son Gabre Cummings who will be the manager of the team.

“The timing is good because we have to also look at the Coronavirus Pandemic  right now and hopefully by the time next year comes around all will be in place for the staging of this tournament,” Cummings concluded.

The Islands Cup Open Tournament has been conceived as a 12-weeks summer tournament and will comprise games to be played in three (3) different cities in Brazil, and in the Pan-Caribbean. Jamaica and Antigua & Barbuda will be utilized as our main hubs, with a caravan schedule in selected countries, playing both mid-week and weekend games. This football tournament will infuse players from across the globe.

Legendary Players who have most recently turned head coaches, such as: Colombia’s own Carlos Valderrama, Italy’s Marco Simone, France’s Vincent Candela, USA’s Brad Friedel and Trinidad & Tobago’s all time renowned Everald “Gally” Cummings, are some of the headliner coaches who will be assigned to selected franchises in this $3M Euro “Winner take all” annual cash prize Championship.

Game days will be an experience that has never before been showcased in a single tournament, featuring a rich, spectacular vibe – a melding of culture, food, football and live Music genres such as: Samba, Reggae, Soca, Salsa, Afro-beat, Reggaeton, Hip-Hop, EDM and Bollywood will all contribute to the extravaganza experience. ISCO is slated to be the Biggest Football Fete Fest ever that will bring the party right alongside the game!

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/k3fuxk0JlZg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/k3fuxk0JlZg</a>
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 10:30:07 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Islands Open Cup Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 03:11:01 PM »
Another fly by night league or what ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:10:13 AM »
Grange shoots for regional football tournament
By Horace Hines, Jamaica Observer

Sports Minister Olivia “Babsy” Grange has given her Government's blessing for the staging of the inaugural Island Cup Open (ISCO), a franchise football tournament set to kick off in the summer of 2021 in Jamaica and nine other franchises across the region, Central and South America, including Brazil.

The private franchises are owned by investors branded under the respective countries.

“It is definitely something that we endorse,” Grange told the Jamaica Observer.

“But it is difficult to give you details on things because we are now revisiting everything and restructuring and rescheduling,” she said.

According to Trinidadian native Chris Anderson, who is chief financial officer and chairman of Caribbean Football Trust Limited (CFTL) and owner of ISCO, most of the governments and football federations within the participating nations have already given the thumbs up to the tournament.

“ISCO has gotten the endorsement of the Jamaica Government and Jamaica [Football Federation] endorsement. We have gotten Antigua endorsement. We are now in final negotiations with several other federations and governments and we are very optimistic. So we are getting there. It is a long journey, but we are getting there. And we are very optimistic,” said Anderson.

The former Trinidad and Tobago International disclosed that in the past 17 to 18 years he has invested US$8.5 million “in developing this project”.

“It is long overdue. This has been a passion of mine for years creating a short 12-team international football tournament on Caribbean soil, not a league. I am motivated to help the underprivileged youths and their families in the region.

“ISCO is designed as a charitable campaign through its own established charity, KICK POVERTY OUT, which is set up to focus on supporting...meals and nutrition before and after school, recreation and sports equipment for use during and after school, ISCO Books-to-Go support within the communities, academic scholarships, structural development, aid victims of hurricane, earthquake, hunger and under privilege youth and their families with financial support,” Anderson stated.

“The Rome Vatican has already expressed their support to our charitable campaign KICK POVERTY OUT, so its very positive. Our company CFTL will be giving back 45 per cent of all our profits to KICK POVERTY OUT,” he went on.

Anderson disclosed that franchises have so far secured players, the likes of former England and Liverpool goalkeeper David James; former England and Manchester City's Joleon Lescott; Manchester City, Barcelona and Ivory Coast midfielder Yaya Toure; and Cameroonian football star Samuel Eto'o.

Also as coaches, are England former England internationals Sol Campbell, Andy Cole, along with former England Head Coach Sven Groen Erikson, former Brazil International Roque Junior; France internationals William Gallas and Vincent Candela; Italian international Marco Simone and T&T team Coach Everald Gally Cummings, among others.

“Legend players and players who have retired from international representation of their countries will be coming from all over of the world. Players will be coming from China. There will be at least 10 players from China participating in this; from France, Italy, England, USA, Brazil, Spain, Japan, from Iraq, Iran, Africa, Asia, India, South Korea, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia, and the Phillipines will be infused with local Pan Caribbean players who are not engaged with their countries national team participation in any Fifa and Concacaf competitions and are of the highest quality,” Anderson noted.

He revealed that the tournament was scheduled to shoot off earlier this year, but those plans had to be railroaded due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Anderson, however, noted that currently the tentative start date for the championship is late next summer.

“Beyond 2021 we looking at a May through August schedule, normally, but for 2021 we will look and see how the COVID new protocols standards are and we will go from there,” Anderson argued.

“But we can tell you that late summer 2021 there will be Island Cup. But it's unreal now to say a definitive date at this moment,” he ended.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 10:30:57 AM »
The flow of info on this has been dripping rather than gushing.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2021, 10:39:33 AM »
Yuh sure Covid(useful excuse) ain't dry up that spring ?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 10:56:35 AM »

Well, something should be stated ... after feverishly rolling out Sven, Andy Cole et. al.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:53:57 PM »

Well, something should be stated ... after feverishly rolling out Sven, Andy Cole et. al.
Money talks, ink dries, paper burns, but  :bs: just piles up, unless it's diarrheic, then it kinda flows   :devil:

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2021, 01:33:49 PM »
Everytime I hear or see Gally Cummings I remember how he was the reason we did not qualify for 1990 with the3 best football team the Caribbean has ever seen or known.A team of schoolboys could have held out for a draw against that USA team.

Online maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 03:26:49 PM »
Everytime I hear or see Gally Cummings I remember how he was the reason we did not qualify for 1990 with the3 best football team the Caribbean has ever seen or known.A team of schoolboys could have held out for a draw against that USA team.
I guess you haven't seen or heard him much, if it's all you remember.

1]; } ?>