April 18, 2024, 05:05:16 PM

Author Topic: Black Panther star dies at 43.  (Read 1937 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Black Panther star dies at 43.
« on: August 29, 2020, 06:37:00 AM »
Chadwick Boseman, Marvel's Black Panther, dies after cancer battle
By Marcus Errico·Editor-in-Chief, Yahoo Entertainment

Chadwick Boseman, who reigned onscreen as Marvel’s noble Black Panther, died at his Los Angeles home Friday of cancer at age 43, surrounded by his wife, singer Taylor Simone Ledward, and relatives.

Calling him “a true fighter,” Boseman’s family revealed the actor was diagnosed with colon cancer four years ago. He never made his diagnosis public, even after photos of the gaunt-looking actor appeared on social media.

“A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much,” read his family’s statement, which was posted on his Twitter and Instagram. “From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson’s Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom and several more — all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T’Challa to life in Black Panther.”

Boseman, who shared a Screen Actors Guild Award for Best Ensemble for Black Panther, credited Denzel Washington for his start in acting; Washington paid for Boseman's college tuition.

While he was best known for playing T’Challa in the Marvel Cinematic Universe installments Captain America: Civil War, Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame, Boseman was equally at home in prestige films. He carved out a niche playing Black icons like Jackie Robinson (42), James Brown (Get on Up) and Thurgood Marshall (Marshall). His most recent role was in Spike Lee’s Netflix war movie Da 5 Bloods released in June. Boseman had also completed a film version of August Wilson’s stage drama Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom opposite Viola Davis slated for later this year.

The devastating news shook friends and fans — from Marvel co-stars to Joe Biden and Kamala Harris — who took to social media late Friday in an outpouring of grief, condolences and tributes:

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Black Panther star dies at 43.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 06:38:27 AM »
Denzel Washington, who once paid to send Chadwick Boseman to acting classes, remembers him as a 'brilliant artist'
insider@insider.com (Tom Murray)

Denzel Washington sent a statement to Entertainment Weekly following Chadwick Boseman's death from colon cancer at the age of 43.

In the statement, Washington wrote: "He was a gentle soul and a brilliant artist, who will stay with us for eternity through his iconic performances over his short yet illustrious career. God bless Chadwick Boseman."

In 2018, Boseman revealed that Washington had helped pay for students, including himself, to study acting in England as part of the British American Drama Academy's Midsummer in Oxford program, held at Balliol College at Oxford University.

"I've basically been holding this secret my whole career. When I came back, I got a beneficiary letter and it said Denzel Washington paid for you," Boseman told Jimmy Fallon on NBC's "The Tonight Show."

In a subsequent interview on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert," Washington joked that he was still waiting for the "Black Panther" star to pay him back.

"I saw Ryan Coogler and Chad, and he said, 'Oh, you know, I just wanted to thank you for paying,' and I said, yeah, that's why I'm here. I'm not here to see — I liked the movie, 'Black Panther,' yeah, good, Wakanda Forever, but where's my money?'" Washington recalled.

Washington is one of many, many stars to pass on their condolences following Boseman's death.

In a statement from his family, it was revealed that Boseman had been battling colon cancer privately since 2016, during which time he has starred in several major movies.

"A true fighter, Chadwick persevered through it all, and brought you many of the films you have come to love so much," his family said. "From Marshall to Da 5 Bloods, August Wilson's Ma Rainey's Black Bottom and several more - all were filmed during and between countless surgeries and chemotherapy. It was the honor of his career to bring King T'Challa to life in Black Panther."

Born in South Carolina, Boseman graduated from Howard University and had small television roles before his first star turn in 2013. His striking portrayal of the stoic baseball star Robinson opposite Harrison Ford in 2013′s "42" drew attention in Hollywood and made him a star.

Boseman died at his home in the Los Angeles area with his wife and family by his side, his publicist Nicki Fioravante told The Associated Press.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
RIP!. Blessings. Wakanda 4 Ever!!!

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 05:11:02 PM »
RIP!!!!