March 29, 2024, 04:57:32 AM

Author Topic: Adele Faces Backlash for Wearing Jamaican Flag Bikini  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Adele Faces Backlash for Wearing Jamaican Flag Bikini
« on: August 31, 2020, 12:54:46 AM »
Adele Faces Backlash for Wearing Jamaican Flag Bikini, Bantu Knots in Tribute to Canceled Carnival
By Claudia Harmata (People).

Adele is facing backlash for the bikini and hairstyle she wore in an Instagram post marking the canceled Notting Hill Carnival festivities.

On Sunday, the British pop star, 32, shared a photo in tribute to Notting Hill Carnival, which celebrates Caribbean and Black culture in the U.K. In the photo, Adele wore a Jamaican flag bikini top and Bantu knots, a traditional African hairstyle.

"Happy what would be Notting Hill Carnival my beloved London 🇬🇧🇯🇲," she captioned the post for Carnival, which is being celebrated virtually this year due to the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Adele came under fire after posting the photo, as many on social media accused her of cultural appropriation.

One follower commented, "black women are discriminated against for wearing cultural hairstyles like bantu knots and locs but white people are not, that’s not fair and that’s why people are pissed off."

Others took offense with Adele's Jamaican bikini top.

"Dear white people, please just be yourselves and stop it for good with cultural appropriation. Adele the bantu knots were unnecessary. The Jamaican flag bikini top was unnecessary... Please just stop it," another follower wrote.

However, other followers came to Adele's defense.

"WE LOVE SEEING OUR FLAG EVERYWHERE!!!!" one person wrote in the comments. "This made me smile . It shows the impact my little island has on the whole world. How influential we truly are."

Another commenter added: "This is cultural appreciation not appropriation."

On Saturday, the carnival’s executive director, Matthew Phillip, spoke to The Guardian about the significance of the event in 2020, despite it being held online.

“For more than 50 years carnival has been a statement that Black Lives Matter,” he said. “That’s normal practice for us, it’s not something that we’re just jumping on now because of the current global climate and what’s going on. Carnival has been making these statements for 50 years.”

“In a year when people have been protesting against the treatment of black people I think this is a good way of showing that we have something to contribute, something that is positive,” he added, referencing the worldwide unrest over racial injustice and police brutality that ignited in May with the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Adele / Instagram Adele / Instagram

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Adele Faces Backlash for Wearing Jamaican Flag Bikini
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 10:00:12 AM »
Honestly, some of us are full of SHIT. So what if you dress differently for a carnival parade. What the f--k wrong with these people and cultural misappropriation. So you mean all these years masquerading as us sailors or roman soldiers at carnival time were cultural misappropriation. All these f--king people who bleaching, straightening their noses, wearing extensions, blue, pink,red, green dye colored hair, so what the f--k they they doing. Look some of you people. get a life!! I tired cusssing allyuh.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2020, 10:02:08 AM by Deeks »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2020, 07:31:25 AM »
Maybe if it was Taylor Swift. Adele? Nah.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2020, 07:47:50 AM »
This cultural appropriation business does go overboard at times. So what next? She cyah eat ackee and saltfish? Steups!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2020, 01:03:10 PM »
This only came up becz she is a white woman.

If it were Byonce they woulda shut to fk up.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 11:36:26 PM »
Yeah. Is not as if she dress up like that for Lollapalooza or some shit like that.

She LITERALLY participating in the cultural event lol.

THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2020, 08:44:04 AM »

vb, as far as we know, her father is Black. Her mother is  mixed. You know in the US, the legacy of the one drop rule would categorize a very light skinned Black person as Negro, Black or African American. But I find it petty for accusing one side of misappropriation when the side doing the same damn thing.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 08:22:12 PM »

vb, as far as we know, her father is Black. Her mother is  mixed. You know in the US, the legacy of the one drop rule would categorize a very light skinned Black person as Negro, Black or African American. But I find it petty for accusing one side of misappropriation when the side doing the same damn thing.

Quite right so now you can't show appreciation for some other person's culture. So when we see foreigners wearing "Trini to the Bone" T-shirts, we supposed to complain???

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2020, 09:04:29 AM »
Pure f00ckery, I agree with VB.

How much Trinis for Carnival wear other countries bra.

I went a ninjaman concert in T&T once and he had on a Trini flag on his back like de superman cape.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 05:16:44 PM »

You sure about the dad being  black. Couldn't find any evidence of that on the net.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2020, 10:23:38 PM »
Honestly, some of us are full of SHIT. So what if you dress differently for a carnival parade. What the f--k wrong with these people and cultural misappropriation. So you mean all these years masquerading as us sailors or roman soldiers at carnival time were cultural misappropriation. All these f--king people who bleaching, straightening their noses, wearing extensions, blue, pink,red, green dye colored hair, so what the f--k they they doing. Look some of you people. get a life!! I tired cusssing allyuh.

I agree with yuh here- - The on.y faking thing she don't get right was the flag
She should have worn the Rd white and black-

1]; } ?>